move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Hyper Voice / Moonblast / Tera Blast
item: Assault Vest
ability: Mind's Eye
nature: Modest
tera type: Normal / Fairy / Poison
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
* With its great bulk, power, and coverage thanks to high-powered Normal-type STAB moves and amazing ability in Mind’s Eye, Ursaluna-B is a formidable special attacker.

* **Blood Moon**: Blood Moon gives Ursaluna-B incredibly high neutral damage. It's a great way to cover a switch or predicted Terastallization, but it requires some forethought to maximize efficiency because it cannot be used on consecutive turns.

* **Vacuum Wave**: Vacuum Wave is highly valuable for revenge killing foes, notably hitting Chien-Pao. It can hit Gholdengo due to Mind's Eye.

* **Earth Power**: Earth Power gives great coverage against the Steel-types that resist Blood Moon, making Ursaluna-B nearly unwallable except by non-grounded Steel-types like Corviknight.

* **Hyper Voice**: Hyper Voice is a more spammable Normal-type STAB move that can bypass Substitute, allowing Ursaluna-B to thwart attempts to Substitute + Protect stall it by the likes of Gliscor, who can otherwise Protect on the turn it uses Blood Moon.

Other Options
==========

* **Tera Blast**: Tera Blast can provide Ursaluna-B with coverage to hit foes that might otherwise wall it when making use of an offensive Tera type.

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Ursaluna-B often uses Terastallization to compensate for its lackluster defensive typing; however, it is often capable of functioning without Tera. Because many different Tera types are viable on it, it can play guessing games with opponents.

* **Normal**: Tera Normal removes all weaknesses associated with Ursaluna-B’s Ground typing and boosts Blood Moon to phenomenal levels of power, making it ideal on Trick Room teams.

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy allows Ursaluna-B to handle the Urshifu formes better while generally being a very solid defensive Tera type.

* **Poison**: Tera Poison improves Ursaluna-B’s matchup against all Ogerpon formes' Horn Leech and all Urshifu formes.

* **Water**: Tera Water allows Ursaluna-B to fare better against the likes of Urshifu-R, Chien-Pao, and Chi-Yu.

* **Fire**: Fire is a primarily offensive Tera type. When used with Tera Blast, it allows Ursaluna-B to hit non grounded Steel-types like Corviknight. However, the defensive benefits of the Fire typing are also notable, allowing Ursaluna-B to go head-to-head with Ogerpon-H in particular.

Items
==========

* **Assault Vest**: Assault Vest remedies Ursaluna-B's middling Special Defense, allowing this slow but hard-hitting Pokemon to survive longer.

* **Silk Scarf**: Silk Scarf can be used instead of Assault Vest to boost the power of Ursaluna-B’s Normal-type STAB attacks, making it more difficult to switch into.

[SET]
name: Smarter than the Average Bear (Calm Mind)
Move 1: Calm Mind
Move 2: Moonlight
Move 3: Blood Moon / Hyper Voice
Move 4: Earth Power / Moonblast / Vacuum Wave
item: Kee Berry / Sitrus Berry
tera type: Normal / Fairy / Fighting
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

* With its immense defensive profile and access to reliable recovery, Ursaluna-B lends itself very well to a Calm Mind set.

* **Hyper Voice**: Because of the increased power with Calm Mind boosts, it is worth considering Hyper Voice as Ursaluna-B's sole Normal-type STAB move, since Blood Moon's power is less needed and Hyper Voice can be used on consecutive turns. It also bypasses attempts to stall out Blood Moon with Substitute.

Other Options
========

* **Taunt**: Taunt can be used to shut down utility moves and attempts to stall out Ursaluna-B from the likes of Cresselia and slow Dragonite.

* **Yawn**: While hard to fit, Yawn pairs well with Ursaluna-B’s prodigious bulk, allowing it to accrue more boosts or force out a foe that may otherwise beat it, such as Calm Mind Flutter Mane.

* **Tera Dependency - High**: Despite its immense bulk, Ursaluna-B’s typing leaves it vulnerable to many common attacks, so a good defensive Tera type is essential for survivability and durability.

* **Normal**: Tera Normal boosts the power of Blood Moon, which improves the matchup against opposing Calm Mind Flutter Mane. It leaves only a Fighting weakness, making Ursaluna-B quite hard to KO.

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy provides a good defensive typing that synergizes well with Ursaluna-B's natural weaknesses, allowing it to stick around.

* **Fighting**: Tera Fighting boosts the power of Ursaluna-B's Vacuum Wave, allowing it to deal more damage while outprioritizing foes.

* **Poison**: Tera Poison grants an immunity to Toxic, allowing Kee Berry Ursaluna-B to better set up on the likes of Gliscor. It also grants a Fighting resistance, allowing it to better handle Urshifu.

* **Steel**: Tera Steel grants a Toxic immunity and important resistances to Normal-, Grass-, and Fairy-type moves, allowing Ursaluna-B to better handle other Ursaluna-B and the likes of non-Hearthflame Ogerpon and Flutter Mane.

Items
==========
* **Kee Berry**: Kee Berry boosts Ursaluna-B's physical bulk, allowing it to keep pace with physical threats such as Dragonite.
* **Sitrus Berry**: Sitrus berry allows Ursaluna-B to recover a significant chunk of health, which can be useful to set up boosts against special attackers.
* **Leftovers**: Leftovers improves Ursaluna-B's general longevity.

EV Spreads
=======

* **4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe with Timid** can be used as an alternative EV spread to out-speed walls like Cresselia, Umbreon, and Wo-Chien. It synergizes well with Taunt.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/anchiceratops.619905/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/derpysux.528485/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/photon.516307/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/tbolt.555379/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/autumn.384270/

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow a lot. That's good. I saw yawn on a cm set, generally like moonlight too, not that I use this, but the yawn almost got me.

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
This is quite long, but I feel you have the general idea of the Pokémon down well enough, myself and the QC members are working on slimming this down and will recommend some changes and points to shorten or cut in the near future.

I have a couple general critiques

- I think it’s a good idea not to use words such as “broken” when describing something in analyses. We try to be objective when writing these, and somethings “brokenness” is very subjective.

- when you highlight a move in a bullet point, don’t treat the highlighted mention of the move as part of the description itself, I’ll show an example from one of my written analyses here
IMG_0406.jpeg

this looks cleaner and helps with continuity when we have points that don’t start with a mention of the move/subject being discussed, such as here
IMG_0407.jpeg

- lastly, try to avoid first person pronouns, such as “I” when writing points. Don’t worry, you will be credited, but try to keep focus on the Pokémon being analyzed. I’m mainly talking about this point in particular
IMG_0408.jpeg

a better wording would be something like “while not mentioned above, etc”

Like I said before I think you’ve got the idea down, myself or another QC team member will post another message once we determine exactly what we think should be shortened. Good job though!

This is quite long, but I feel you have the general idea of the Pokémon down well enough, myself and the QC members are working on slimming this down and will recommend some changes and points to shorten or cut in the near future.

- I think it’s a good idea not to use words such as “broken” when describing something in analyses. We try to be objective when writing these, and somethings “brokenness” is very subjective.

- lastly, try to avoid first person pronouns, such as “I” when writing points. Don’t worry, you will be credited, but try to keep focus on the Pokémon being analyzed. I’m mainly talking about this point in particular

Like I said before I think you’ve got the idea down, myself or another QC team member will post another message once we determine exactly what we think should be shortened. Good job though!
I was actually wondering about usage of the word "broken" myself. I kept it because Ursaluna-B certainly feels... well broken! But I also wanted to see if the team would have anything to say about it, and I can see why it wouldn't fit on an analysis like this... so I'll just change it to "formidable".

As for the first person, I do try to avoid that, I hadn't realized I'd used it by accident. Thank you for pointing it out!

I've implemented the small changes so far and look forward to see how the analysis gets shortened in the future. Thank you!!

Last edited:
Been looking this over and I think the key concept to zero in on is how we get across key details as elegantly as possible. Its already been said that the bullets are a little verbose, but what I want to help you with is picking out the most important parts and rewording more efficiently around those.

Let's start with this bullet, emphasis added by myself:

* **Use Blood Moon strategically**: Blood Moon is an absolute necessity as the singular move that gives Ursaluna-B the most damage against neutral foes. However, because it can only be used once consecutively, it's truly a tactician's move, and it's not necessarily advisable to spam it on every turn you can (although this will still often work, meaning that although Ursaluna-B has a learning curve, it is still quite beginner-friendly). Instead, the move requires some thinking to maximize its efficiency.
The blue parts are what I consider the most important details: it being the highest damage output you get on average and the fact that it can't be used consecutively. I would change "most" to "incredibly high" or some other descriptor, as GP will point out that "most" doesn't fit here since you aren't comparing the move to anything specific. I would also reword the "once consecutively" part, because its a bit of a double negative.

The red part I consider unnecessary fluff: it is more or less implied since we are bringing attention to the fact that Blood Moon has super high damage.

The green part is very wordy and drawn out while also being vague: it doesn't offer context or insight into what "good" usage of the move would look like. This should be rewritten to be more efficient while giving the average player better insight into how the move should be used.

A big thing to remember when writing these is that we should be assuming someone is a beginner. They need to be able to quickly pick out the most important bits and not get bogged down by information overload. So with that in mind and while trying to keep your voice as much as possible, here is an alternative writing of it:

* **Blood Moon**: Blood Moon gives Ursaluna-B incredibly high neutral damage, but it cannot be used on consecutive turns. Its a great way to blanket check a switch or predicted Terastallization, but its turn restriction requires some forethought to maximize efficiency.
Here, I kept the key details while condensing the green part into an concrete example a newer player can better understand.

Let's look at another example: the Tera Normal bullet you have. Since I've explained some of the finer details above, I'll annotate this one directly (purple text:)

* **Normal**: The best Tera for one-shotting things (again, what "things?" Also, use proper Smogon terms such as "OHKO" instead of "one-shot.") with its approximate 33% boost (fluff, fundamental mechanic that you shouldn't be explaining in an analysis) to the already STAB Blood Moon, and the most common Tera. (fluff, if its at the top of the list then its understood to be highest usage.) Normal is a defensive typing that is neutral to almost everything except Fighting, abusing Ursaluna-B's insane natural bulk, and takes advantage of Ursaluna-B's STAB (fluff, you already mentioned STAB). Notably it's also the best Tera Type for 1v1ing opposing Ursaluna-Bs (here is the "thing" we needed earlier, so let's condense this with the previous remark.) due to the extra damage on Blood Moon. (fluff, third time you've mentioned the damage increase.) Notably if you (avoid first person) are running Ursaluna-B as a Trick Room sweeper you almost certainly want Normal for the one-shots. (Trick Room detail is good, but again we don't need to reiterate what was already said outside of specific examples.)
I know that's a lot, but stick with me! Let's narrow that down to the most important details:

* **Normal**: Tera Normal removes all of Ursaluna-B's weaknesses except Fighting and boosts Blood Moon, letting Ursaluna-B more easily OHKO non-AV Ursaluna-B and Flutter Mane. If running Ursaluna-B as a Trick Room sweeper, Tera Normal is often preferred.
I know I changed a lot, but analysis writing is something of an art and it takes practice, so keep at it! Hopefully this helps you get an idea of how you can go about trimming this analysis down to be more efficient. We can work out some of the finer details once you've done a second pass.

Thank you for the tips!! I tried to give it a second pass and shorten it a bit. I also tried to remove the second person, except in this spot:
* **Speed Creep**: Note that while this set is not sped crept so as to maximize bulk, on the ranked ladder Ursaluna-B is common enough that you might want to take some EVs out of Special Defense and put them in Speed to win the mirror match-up, as other Ursaluna-B will be speed creeping too!
I didn't know how to reword this to get rid of the second person "you," as in this instance, I do mean the reader.

DerpySuX

TABLES FLIPPED NOW WE GOT ALL THE COCONUTS BITCH
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Sorry for the delay! I’m gonna go over every bullet point and shorten it up a little for you if I think it needs it, I’ll also point out any redundant or unnecessary bullets we can just drop.
* Ursaluna-B is formidable because of its signature move, Blood Moon, an anomalously strong 140 BP Normal Move that cannot be used twice in a row. Assault Vest remedies Ursaluna-B's mediocre special bulk, enabling this slow but hard-hitting monstrosity.

we can shorten this up a bit by not getting into the specifics of blood moon or assault vest, as we talk about that in its own bullet point. Instead we can mention ursaluna’s great bulk and normal’s wide neutral coverage that is bolstered by its ability.

-“ With its great bulk, power, and phenominal coverage thanks to Normal-type STAB and amazing ability in Mind’s Eye, Ursaluna-B is a formidable special attacker.”

something along these lines gets across the general idea of Ursaluna-BM’s use without getting into too much detail. As we talk about specific aspects of

* **Blood Moon**: Blood Moon gives Ursaluna-B incredibly high neutral damage, but it cannot be used on consecutive turns. It's a great way to blanket check a switch or predicted Terastallization, but its turn restriction makes it require some forethought to maximize efficiency.

this is good! However we can shorten this by cutting out the double mention of the move restriction

- “Blood Moon gives Ursaluna-B great neutral coverage, making it a very safe move to use. However it cannot be used on consecutive turns, so it requires some forethought to maximize efficiency”

something like this still brings up everything you mentioned, just in a more concise manor.

* **Vacuum Wave**: Vacuum Wave is highly valuable for revenge killing and picking off low HP foes, notably hitting Chien-Pao.

this is good, however I think we should actually add a little bit here

- “Vacuum Wave is highly valuable for picking off low HP foes, notably hitting Chien-Pao hard and not being stopped by Gholdengo thanks to Mind’s Eye.”

adding the mention of Gholdengo is important as it is commonly used to thwart pokes that rely on normal type damage, such as extreme speed Dragonite, it being unable to stop Ursaluna is a big selling point that we should mention.

* **Earth Power**: Earth Power gives great coverage against the Steel-Types who resist Blood Moon, making Ursaluna-B nearly unwallable except by Flying/Levitating Steels like Corviknight.

This is good! We can change “flying/levitating” to “non grounded” to cover both options in a cleaner looking man

* **Hyper Voice**: Hyper Voice is excellent because it can hit through Substitute, including Gliscor's. Gliscor can otherwise Protect on the turn Ursaluna-B uses Blood Moon and proceed to Toxic stall it.

for this we can cut out a little of the Gliscor blurb, since being able to hit through substitute is a universal thing and we can reasonably assume Gliscor isn’t an exception to this

- “Hyper Voice is a more spammable STAB move that can bypass substitutes, allowing Ursaluna-BM to thwart attempts to protect stall by the likes of Gliscor.

after this we can add a new header, since we’ve covered all of the main options for Ursaluna.

Other Options
==========

^ this will separate what we have above from the mention of tera blast since that is a more fringe option, and anyone who just wants to know the main set and it’s use cases can skip this part

* **Tera Blast with Fire Tera**: Tera Blast should only really be used to take advantage of the Fire Tera to, for instance, hit Flying/Levitating Steels.

We can remove the “with tera fire” part from the bullet point and just focus on tera blast itself. We can mention if a tera type is good to use with Tera Blast when we cover that specific tera type.

- “Tera Blast can provide Ursaluna-BM with coverage to hit foes that might otherwise wall it when making use of an offensive Tera Type.”

I think something along these lines is better wording, as there are a couple Teras Ursaluna can work with. Fire and Fighting are both good options. Fighting can hit levitating steels (mainly tera steel Cresselia) while also boosting vacuum wave.

we can add another header here to separate the Tera type bullets and make the analysis look a bit cleaner and easier to navigate

Tera Types
==========

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Ursaluna-B is very bulky, but its typing leaves it weak to common attacks like those of Urshifu, Ogerpon, and Chien-Pao, leading Ursaluna-B to have a medium Tera dependency. It also makes good use of Tera because so many different Tera Types are viable on it that it can basically play "Guess Who?"

I think we can shorten this by not mentioning specific Pokémon and instead focusing mostly on Ursaluna’s uses for tera, if a certain tera type is used specifically for one of those matchups, we’ll mention it there

- “Ursaluna-BM often uses Terastallization to compensate for its lackluster defensive typing, however it is more than capable of functioning without Tera.”

Something like this can get the general idea across

* **Normal**: Tera Normal removes all of Ursaluna-B's weaknesses except Fighting and boosts Blood Moon, letting Ursaluna-B more easily OHKO offensive Ogerpon, Flutter Mane, and non-AV Ursaluna-B. If running Ursaluna-B as a Trick Room sweeper, Tera Normal is often preferred.

again I think we can limit the mention of specific pokes, most people know that Tera Normal is to make Blood Moon a nuke.

- “Tera Normal removes all weaknesses associated with Ursaluna-BM’s Ground-typing and boost Blood Moon to staggering levels of power, making it ideal on Trick Room teams.

* **Fairy**: At least neutral to all of Ursaluna-B's weaknesses and covers its fighting weakness (Urshifu).

just re word this a tiny bit and it’s good

- “Tera Fairy allows Ursaluna-BM to handle the Urshifu forms better while just generally being a very solid defensive Tera.

* **Water**: It resists Ursaluna-B's Water and Ice Weakness. It can be used to survive a turn against Urshifu-Rapid-Strike or Chien Pao. The only drawback is that it keeps Ursaluna-B's Grass weakness. Water is especially good for surviving Overheat nukes like Choice Specs Tera Fire Chi-Yu.

same thing, just re word a few things and it’s goid

- “Tera Water grants a resistance to Water- and Ice-type attacks, allowing Ursaluna-BM to fair better against the likes of Urshifu-R Chien-Pao and Chi-Yu.

* **Poison**: Poison resists Fighting and Grass in particular, allowing it to survive a hit from Ogerpon or Urshifu. Like Fairy, Poison is at least neutral to all of Ursaluna's natural weaknesses.

this is good imo, I would just remove the last sentence.

- “Tera Poison resists Fighting- and Grass-type attacks, improving Ursaluna-BM’s matchup against Urshifu and Ogerpon

* **Fire**: A more niche, primarily offensive Tera. Used with Tera Blast, it allows Ursaluna-B to hit Flying/Levitating Steel Types like Corviknight. However the defensive benefits of the Fire Typing should not be underestimated; it particularly walls Ogerpon-Hearthflame.

this is again pretty good. We can just clean up a couple wording things
- Fire is a primarily offensive Tera type. When used with Tera Blast, it allows Ursaluna-B to hit non grounded Steel-types like Corviknight. However the defensive benefits of the Fire-type are also notable, allowing Ursaluna- to go head to head with Ogerpon-H in particular.
Just cleaned up the wording here

EV Spreads
=======
* **4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 SpD with Modest**: On an Assault Vest Pokemon, why not invest heavily in HP instead of Special Defense? Ursaluna Bloodmoon's base HP and Defense of 113 and 120, respectively, leave little to patch up, while its base SpDef of 65 is a glaring flaw. Giving it 252 SpDef EVs also allows it to take maximum advantage of Assault Vest and improves the mirror match-up.

We can remove this bullet point altogether, as a bulkier spread is rather intuitive on a mon with this kind of stat spread. Instead we can further elaborate in the speed bullet if needed.

* **Speed Creep**: Note that while this set is not sped crept so as to maximize bulk, on the ranked ladder Ursaluna-B is common enough that you might want to take some EVs out of Special Defense and put them in Speed to win the mirror match-up, as other Ursaluna-B will be speed creeping too!

if we go ahead and remove the point about the EV spread itself, we can cut the first sentence.

- “Ursaluna-BM is a very common pick, and as such, investing a little into Speed can go along way in Ursaluna-BM mirrors.

something like this is a bit more concise

Minor Optimizations
========
* **0 Attack IV**
* **0 Speed IV for Trick Room sets**

We can remove this entire section, as both of these optimizations a

[SET]
Move 1: Blood Moon
Move 2: Calm Mind
Move 3: Moonlight
Move 4: Earth Power/Moonblast/Vacuum Wave/Hyper Voice
item: Kee Berry/Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
tera type: Normal/Fairy/Fighting/Poison/Steel
[SET COMMENTS]
* **With reliable recovery, ridiculous physical Defense, a weaker Special Defense that could use some patching up, and the potential to deal massive damage after just one boost with Blood Moon, Ursaluna-B is perfect for a Calm Mind set.

we can shorten this up a bit again by removing the specifics of moves and sticking to a more general overview of the set

- “With its immense defensive profile and access to reliable recovery, Ursaluna-BM lends itself very well to a Calm Mind set.

* **Hyper Voice can be used as a tech to beat Gliscor**: Gliscor can otherwise Toxic stall the Calm Mind set, but the other coverage options are generally better.

We can just keep the bullet title to “hyper voice” and again talk about hyper voice in a more general sense. I’d also point out that on the Calm Mind set it is worth considering Hyper Voice as your sole Normal STAB, since the power of Blood Moon is less needed with the boosts

- “Hyper Voice is often the preferred Normal STAB with Calm Mind due to being able to be used on consecutive turns. It also bypasses attempts to stall out Blood Moon with Substitute.”

I think something like this would be cleaner

Other Options
========
* **Yawn**: Yawn is an excellent move that is also an option for non-Assault Vest Ursaluna-B, but it means dropping one of the other 4 moves, all of which are pretty essential. Even the secondary attack is useful because of Blood Moon's drawback.

For this we can just say that yawn is hard to fit and further elaborate on why it might be worth considering despite thst

- “While hard to fit, Yawn pairs well with Ursaluna-BM’s immense bulk, allowing it to accrue more boosts or force out a foe that may otherwise beat it.“

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Ursaluna-B has great bulk which is further bolstered by both Kee Berry and Calm Mind, and as such, does not always need to tera even in the face of weaker supereffective moves. However, sometimes Terastallization is needed to survive, particularly before its stats are boosted.

I would personally change its tera dependence to “high” as it relies pretty heavily on being hard to take down with a calm mind set, which its base typing doesn’t accommodate for very well.

again we can shorten this again by just keeping the overview generalized

- “Despite its immense bulk, Ursaluna-BM’s typing leaves it vulnerable to many common attacks, so a good defensive Tera is essential for survivability.”

* **Normal/Fairy/Fighting** boost the power of Blood Moon, Moonblast, and Vacuum Wave respectively. Normal leaves only a fighting weakness, while Fairy resists fighting and is neutral to all of Ursaluna-B's other natural weaknesses.
* **Poison/Steel**: These types deserve a mention for being able to avoid Gliscor's Toxic, as Gliscor is a huge problem for CM sets not carrying Hyper Voice. Even though both types leave Ursaluna-B weak to Earthquake, its natural bulk combined with Kee Berry will help Ursaluna-B tank it with ease. Both types are also great defensively, but Poison is more compatible with Ursaluna-B's weaknesses.
Hopefully this isn’t too much at once. Whether you use my suggestions as a reference or paste them in verbatim is totally fine by me.

After the tera section I think we can cut out everything from there. However I think you should make an individual bullet for each individual tera type. If you feel one isn’t as important, you’re free to remove it too, but I’d like to see you use the general writing style I’ve shown you here to write your own bullets for the tera types on the calm mind set.

If you need to ask me a question or otherwise need a faster response, feel free to message me on discord, I go by derpysux there as well. :3

add remove comment

[SET]
name: Freddy (Assault Vest)
move 1: Blood Moon
move 2: Vacuum Wave
move 4: Hyper Voice / Moonblast / Tera Blast (AS)
tera type: Normal / Fairy / Water / Poison / Fire (AS) (Cut down the number of Teras listed here to 3, you can mention more than just those 3 in the analysis)

[SET COMMENTS]

* With its great bulk, power, and coverage thanks to high-powered Normal-type STAB and amazing ability in Mind’s Eye, Ursaluna-B is a formidable special attacker.

* **Blood Moon**: Blood Moon gives Ursaluna-B incredibly high neutral damage. It's a great way to blanket check ("Blanket check" implies that Ursaluna-B checks a bunch of Pokemon, but in this case, Blood Moon is meant for option coverage. I think that it could be reworded to say something like "It's a great way to cover both a switch and predicted Terastallization...") a switch or predicted Terastallization, but it requires some forethought to maximize efficiency because it cannot be used on consecutive turns.
* **Vacuum Wave**: Vacuum Wave is highly valuable for revenge killing and picking off low HP foes, notably hitting Chien-Pao. It's not stopped by Gholdengo due to Mind's Eye.
* **Earth Power**: Earth Power gives great coverage against the Steel-Types Steel-types who that resist Blood Moon, making Ursaluna-B nearly unwallable except by non-grounded Steels Steel-types like Corviknight.
* **Hyper Voice**: Hyper Voice is a more spammable STAB move that can bypass Substitute, allowing Ursaluna-BM Ursaluna-B to thwart attempts to Protect stall by the likes of Gliscor.

Other Options
==========
* **Tera Blast**: Tera Blast can provide Ursaluna-BM Ursaluna-B with coverage to hit foes that might otherwise wall it when making use of an offensive Tera Type.

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Ursaluna-BM Ursaluna-B often uses Terastallization to compensate for its lackluster defensive typing; however, it is often capable of functioning without Tera. Because many different Tera Types types are viable on it, it can play guessing games with opponents.
* **Normal**: Tera Normal removes all weaknesses associated with Ursaluna-BM's Ursaluna-B's Ground- typing (RH, AS) and boosts Blood Moon to phenomenal levels of power, making it ideal on Trick Room teams.
* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy allows Ursaluna-BM Ursaluna-B to handle the Urshifu forms formes better while generally being a very solid defensive Tera.
* **Water**: Tera Water grants a resistance to Water- and Ice-type attacks, allowing Ursaluna-BM Ursaluna-B to fair better against the likes of Urshifu-R, (AC) Chien-Pao, (AC) and Chi-Yu.
* **Poison**: Tera Poison resists Fighting- and Grass-type attacks, improving Ursaluna-BM's Ursaluna-B's matchup against Urshifu and Ogerpon.
* **Fire**: Fire is a primarily offensive Tera type. When used with Tera Blast, it allows Ursaluna-B to hit non grounded Steel-types like Corviknight. However the defensive benefits of the Fire-type are also notable, allowing Ursaluna-B to go head-to-head with Ogerpon-H in particular.

Items
==========
Silk Scarf: Silk Scarf can be used instead of Assault Vest to boost the power of Ursaluna-BM's Ursaluna-B's Normal STABs STAB attacks, making it more difficult to switch into.

EV Spreads
==========
* **Speed Creep**: Ursaluna-BM Ursaluna-B is a very common pick, and as such, investing a little into Speed (taking a few points out of Special Defense) can go along way in Ursaluna-BM Ursaluna-B mirrors. (In general, we don't like to endorse speed creep in analyses, since doing so is an optimization decided upon by the player.)

[SET]

Move 3: Blood Moon
Move 4: Earth Power / Moonblast / Vacuum Wave / Hyper Voice (AS)
item: Kee Berry / Leftovers / Sitrus Berry (AS)
tera type: Normal / Fairy / Fighting / Poison / Steel (AS) (Same Tera thing as above)
[SET COMMENTS]
* **With its immense defensive profile and access to reliable recovery, Ursaluna-BM Ursaluna-B lends itself very well to a Calm Mind set.
* **Hyper Voice**: Because of the increased power with Calm Mind boosts makes Blood Moon's power less needed, it is worth considering Hyper Voice as your sole Normal STAB move, since it can be used on consecutive turns. It also bypasses attempts to stall out Blood Moon with Substitute.” (RQ)

Other Options
========
* **Taunt**: Taunt can be used to shut down utility moves and attempts to stall out Ursaluna-BM Ursaluna-B from the likes of Cresselia and slow Dragonite.
* **Yawn**: While hard to fit, Yawn pairs well with Ursaluna-BM's Ursaluna-B's prodigious bulk, allowing it to accrue more boosts or force out a foe that may otherwise beat it.

* **Tera Dependency - High**: Despite its immense bulk, Ursaluna-BM's Ursaluna-B's typing leaves it vulnerable to many common attacks, so a good defensive Tera type is essential for survivability and durability.
* **Normal**: Tera Normal boosts the power of Blood Moon, which improves the matchup against opposing Calm Mind Flutter Mane. It leaves only a fighting Fighting weakness, making Ursaluna-B quite hard to kill.
* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy provides a good defensive typing that synergizes well with Ursaluna-B's natural weaknesses, allowing it to stick around.
* **Fighting**: Tera Fighting boosts the power of Ursaluna-B's Vaccum Vacuum Wave, allowing it to deal more damage while outprioritizing foes.
* **Poison**: Tera Poison grants an immunity to Toxic, allowing Kee Berry Ursaluna-BM's Ursaluna-B's to better set up on the likes of Gliscor. It also grants a fighting Fighting resistance, allowing it to better handle Urshifu.
* **Steel**: Tera Steel grants a Toxic immunity and important resistances to Normal- (AH), Grass- (AH), and Fairy-type moves, allowing Ursaluna-BM Ursaluna-B to better handle other Ursaluna-BM Ursaluna-B and the likes of non-Hearthflame Ogerpon and Flutter Mane.

EV Spreads
=======
* **4 HP/252 SpD/252 Spe 4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe with Timid** can be used as an alternative EV spread.

CREDITS:
Written by:
Anchiceratops | Smogon Forums
Quality Checked by:
DerpySuX | Smogon Forums
Photon | Smogon Forums

Grammar checked by:

GPers are asking to cut down on the number of Tera types in the [SET], but you can mention as many Tera types you want in the analysis
Be sure to put spaces around every slash
No speed creep in analyses

Last edited:

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
1/1 GP Team done
i fixed a lot of unnecessary line breaks, so use this method to implement please https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...new-writers-please-read.3588923/#post-7122054 (point 3)
[SET]
name: Freddy (Assault Vest)
move 1: Blood Moon
move 2: Vacuum Wave
move 4: Hyper Voice / Moonblast / Tera Blast
tera type: Normal / Fairy / Poison

[SET COMMENTS]
* With its great bulk, power, and coverage thanks to high-powered Normal-type STAB moves and amazing ability in Mind’s Eye, Ursaluna-B is a formidable special attacker.

* **Blood Moon**: Blood Moon gives Ursaluna-B incredibly high neutral damage. It's a great way to cover a switch or predicted Terastallization, but it requires some forethought to maximize efficiency because it cannot be used on consecutive turns.

* **Vacuum Wave**: Vacuum Wave is highly valuable for revenge killing and picking off low HP foes, (revenge killing by definition is picking off low hp foes, so you don't really need both here) notably hitting Chien-Pao. It's not stopped by Gholdengo due to Mind's Eye. (maybe "it can hit gholdengo" would be better because moves being stopped by ghold is usually meant as a sttaus thing and not a type immunity thing - up to you though)

* **Earth Power**: Earth Power gives great coverage against the Steel-types that resist Blood Moon, making Ursaluna-B nearly unwallable except by non-grounded Steel-types like Corviknight.

* **Hyper Voice**: Hyper Voice is a more spammable STAB move that can bypass Substitute, allowing Ursaluna-B to thwart attempts to Protect stall it by the likes of Gliscor. (do you mean sub + protect stalled because hyper voice does not go through protect? or are these 2 separate points 1 it bypasses sub and 2 it can beat tect gliscor? if so, separate the senetnces and give different examples of sub users for clarity - also worth clarifying that not being able to be used twice is why protect can stall it)

Other Options
==========

* **Tera Blast**: Tera Blast can provide Ursaluna-B with coverage to hit foes that might otherwise wall it when making use of an offensive Tera type Type.

* **Tera Dependency - Medium**: Ursaluna-B often uses Terastallization to compensate for its lackluster defensive typing; however, it is often capable of functioning without Tera. Because many different Tera types are viable on it, it can play guessing games with opponents.

* **Normal**: Tera Normal removes all weaknesses associated with Ursaluna-B’s Ground typing and boosts Blood Moon to phenomenal levels of power, making it ideal on Trick Room teams.

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy allows Ursaluna-B to handle the Urshifu formes better while generally being a very solid defensive Tera type.

* **Poison**: Tera Poison resists Fighting- and Grass-type attacks, improving Ursaluna-B’s matchup against Urshifu and Ogerpon. (if all formes, say "all Urshifu and Ogerpon formes" if only some then specify)

* **Water**: Tera Water grants a resistance to Water- and Ice-type attacks, allowing Ursaluna-B to fare better against the likes of Urshifu-R, Chien-Pao, and Chi-Yu. (chi-yu doesnt run water or ice type attacks - i know fire resists water but you're type charting the rests o ti reads weirdly fi youre leaving that part out)

* **Fire**: Fire is a primarily offensive Tera type. When used with Tera Blast, it allows Ursaluna-B to hit non grounded Steel-types like Corviknight. However, (AC) the defensive benefits of the Fire-type Fire typing are also notable, allowing Ursaluna-B to go head-to-head with Ogerpon-H in particular.

you don't actually need to say which types resist what moves because that's dex info - you can just say x tera type allows it to beat y mon

Items
==========

why isnt av explained here? it's the set item

Silk Scarf: Silk Scarf can be used instead of Assault Vest to boost the power of Ursaluna-B’s Normal-type STAB attacks, making it more difficult to switch into. (does this need ** ** around silk scarf too to match the other sections?)

[SET]
Move 3: Blood Moon
Move 4: Earth Power / Moonblast / Vacuum Wave / Hyper Voice
item: Kee Berry / Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
tera type: Normal / Fairy / Fighting

[SET COMMENTS]

* ** (i dont think these two asterisks are needed because it opens a bolded section without closing it + there's no header to bold) With its immense defensive profile and access to reliable recovery, Ursaluna-B lends itself very well to a Calm Mind set.

* **Hyper Voice**: Because of the increased power with Calm Mind boosts makes Blood Moon's power less needed, it is worth considering Hyper Voice as Ursaluna-B's sole Normal-type STAB move, since Blood Moon's power is less needed and it can be used on consecutive turns. (clarity, the first part of this sentence can be difficult to parse) It also bypasses attempts to stall out Blood Moon with Substitute.

Other Options
========

* **Taunt**: Taunt can be used to shut down utility moves and attempts to stall out Ursaluna-B from the likes of Cresselia and slow Dragonite.

* **Yawn**: While hard to fit, Yawn pairs well with Ursaluna-B’s prodigious bulk, allowing it to accrue more boosts or force out a foe that may otherwise beat it. (such as?)

* **Tera Dependency - High**: Despite its immense bulk, Ursaluna-B’s typing leaves it vulnerable to many common attacks, so a good defensive Tera type is essential for survivability and durability.

* **Normal**: Tera Normal boosts the power of Blood Moon, which improves the matchup against opposing Calm Mind Flutter Mane. It leaves only a Fighting weakness, making Ursaluna-B quite hard to kill KO.

* **Fighting**: Tera Fighting boosts the power of Ursaluna-B's Vacuum Wave, allowing it to deal more damage while outprioritizing foes.

* **Poison**: Tera Poison grants an immunity to Toxic, allowing Kee Berry Ursaluna-B to better set up on the likes of Gliscor. It also grants a Fighting resistance, allowing it to better handle Urshifu.

* **Steel**: Tera Steel grants a Toxic immunity and important resistances to Normal-, Grass-, and Fairy-type moves, allowing Ursaluna-B to better handle other Ursaluna-B and the likes of non-Hearthflame Ogerpon and Flutter Mane.

the items aren't actually explained anywhere so that should definitely be added

EV Spreads
=======

* **4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe with Timid** can be used as an alternative EV spread. (why?)

[CREDITS]

Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/anchiceratops.619905/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/derpysux.528485/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/photon.516307/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/autumn.384270/
(fixed formatting)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)