Resource UPL X Post Season Team/Set Dump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader

(Banner by Blazenix)
Another UPL concluded with many new faces getting their shot in the spotlight - and a new winning team! Congratulations to Defiant Durians on their 5th victory, proving that Garay and Tony did not curse the franchise.

As expected here is a zone for everything post-UPL. Feel free to discuss your experiences with the tournament including cool ideas and teams that you (or your team) brought to the table. Let your team know this thread exists if they wanted to showcase anything! Can be any gen, and you dont have to have brought it to games.

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
:swsh/calyrex-shadow:
Calyrex-Shadow @ Mental Herb / Leftovers
Ability: As One (Spectrier)
EVs: 64 Def / 160 SpA / 32 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Astral Barrage
- Disable
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

the spread is honestly nonsense so i just linked an old copy paste of when i came up with it on the caly go click that horse for the brain stuff

Aberforth

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ubers Leader
Not a tour I did very well in, just going to post a few ideas I had in it to keep things nice and brief. Kate was very much the innovator in our team this year anyway.

Yveltal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 180 HP / 76 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Hone Claws
- Roost
- Taunt / Sucker Punch

Nothing special in terms of EVs, and definitely a known set, but its really effective against teams with only opposing (non foul-play) Yveltal as their dark resists. Pairs excellently with Ho-oh both for twave support on Eternatus (with Taunt Yveltal especially) as well as a primary Calyrex switch in and Defogger.

Eternatus @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dynamax Cannon
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower / Shadow Ball
- Recover

Credit here goes to Autumnchi for this, who uses it on a Magnezone team with the usual lot, the idea being to grab surprise revenge KOs as your opponent wants to avoid going into their NDM. Also has fairly significant use against HO teams, which Zone teams struggle with a lot.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Toxic

This is possibly just not innovative at all, but I enjoy running really fast offensively minded Heatrans. If you're using slow and bulky it will take on some offensive Eternatus better, but I like the damage output, especially with Groudon's sun (and against opposing Groudon).

Yveltal @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Toxic
- Defog

Ev'd to outspeed Adamant Dracovish cause that thing scares me, you can also use Oblivion Wing over Toxic/Defog. The idea is very simple, most physically offensive breakers really struggle with this set. The EVs nicely hit the biting point so that Jolly NDM cannot OHKO with a Life Orb Stone Edge at +1, this is also lovely for offensive Groudons and Marshadow too. Really difficult for teams to break, and phys def Yveltal has a lot of utility that I dont think people are making enough use of. This works best on a team with a fair bit of Calyrex-S counterplay, obviously, but its effective and people should probably use it more.

Eternatus @ Power Herb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Recover
- Flamethrower
- Dynamax Cannon

Brought this against Suapah and it did really well, you can chose between Flamethrower and Sludge Bomb but this is really effective against teams that use Knock + Sunsteel Strike NDM as their initial Eternatus counterplay. Generally I like bringing this with a Geomancy Xerneas with Aromatherapy, because these two can overwhelm NDM as counterplay relatively well. The combo also shouldnt lose to most Blissey given Confide's PP limitations.

Groudon @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Heat Crash

The idea behind this set is pretty simple, you act as a really early game breaker and break teams down for offensive partners like Marshadow, DD NDM and Zygarde. Heat Crash is really valuable with the ability to avoid having to hit Precipice Blades in inopportune moments, and means you cannot be pivoted around nearly as easily with things like Lando-T or Yveltal trying to waste PBlades PP.

Arceus-Fire @ Flame Plate
Ability: Multitype
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Draco Meteor

unfortunately, we were out of contention by week 7. there was but one upside for me: I got the go-ahead to use Arceus-Fire in a team tour. steelskitty thought of this set while we were building my team earlier that week. in BW Ubers, Arceus-Fire generally invites in pretty much every Dragon-type except for Dialga because its "best" set has only a Fire-type attack, Thunder and Recover. so naturally, running Draco Meteor as your third attack solves all of your problems. for instance, Latios and Giratina-O are OHKOed at +1 after Stealth Rock. Rayquaza, which ignores any boost from sun and can deftly evade Thunder if rain is up, has no hope if Stealth Rock is up even at +0. Latias is an exception, but I think this is at least kind of funny:

+1 252 SpA Arceus-Fire Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Soul Dew Latias: 230-272 (63.3 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

also, not that this is a Dragon-type, but Gliscor, which would otherwise completely sit on Fire Blast / Thunder Arceus-Fire in rain, can sometimes get OHKOed at +1 after a bit of chip. I seem to remember it cleanly OHKO in one case. this was really funny. you had to be there.

regrettably, I didn't get to click Draco Meteor at any point during my match, mostly because I played like shit and my wincon ended up being hitting four Fire Blasts in a row at the end of the game. but still. imagine if I had been able to.

Last edited:

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Shrang's UPL team dump

It's not much since most teams are pretty similar but hey I'm a mostly an HO player and Deo-S is the most OP fucking lead in DPP by a long mile that it's hard to build in any other way. That, plus how restrictive Draco spam makes the game kind of just build them teams by themselves.
To be honest I was a bit more restricted in my ability to build this tour because I had 2 top managers breathing down my neck making sure I didn't become too adventurous - trust me, if left to my own devices you'd be seeing Electivire on teams and I wouldn't be winning 8-0 lmao... maybe 7-1 :P
The teams I have here kind of have 3 origins: 1) an old Farceus team that I repurposed for non-Farc DPP, 2) a teammate's team that I've made an adjustment to so I was more comfortable with playing it, or 3) a team freshly made for this tour. (1) and (2) are much more common and I did (3) a bit more as I became a bit more confident again.
An important thing about all these teams are they are a player-matchup dependent. There are things in these teams that aren't entirely optimised and no other reason than it does well against the player I was up against at the time. The best example being running a Groudon lead against eden because looking on his history he never ran Deo-S. If there's any additional optimisation for general use I'll point them out with the team.
I think the biggest lesson everyone should be taking from this is RESPECT THE FUCKING DEO-S LEAD. All you motherfuckers who still think Ogre leads are top tier leads even though you get a free 2 layers in your face deserve every loss against a well-played Deo-S lead. Sash Deo-S is the king, the only reason Colbur/Scarf/Lum/others are even good are because they take advantage of anti-Sash anti-leads which in turn make them more lax in checking Sash which makes Sash dump on whatever lead they run again. It all revolves around Sash lead Deo-S.
On that topic I think items are interchangeable on Deo-S anyway. Depends on the player you're facing one item might be better than the other. Every Sash Deo-S team on here can use Colbur and vice-versa. Scarf plays a little differently but if you know they're trying to matchup fish you with like Scarf Darkrai, Lum could even work too.

VS TSR:
Team 1: 1658838905981.png

So I was super rusty in week 1... I literally had not played in 2 years. This team was borrowed from Alex Walls who was super helpful in testing most of the teams I used. Alex's team had fast Gira-O and Darkrai in the last slot. Palkia was very annoying to play against because it had no good switch-ins at all, and with Ogre using Water Spout and Palkia using Hydro Pump and getting locked into them it was super easy for Palk to just come in and get a free kill. Darkrai and Ogre were not strong enough to scare Palkia out without sleep and everything else either just died (Gira/Scizor) or had to tie at best (Palk). That's why I changed Darkrai to Kingdra as it at the very least gave me something I could use against Palkia.
This team is super offensive - it's literally click and die, rinse and repeat. There's really not much in terms of subtlety to playing this - although getting a few double switches and a well-predicted U-turn goes a long way.
There is a couple of variations you can have in the last slot - Darkrai like Alex used, Kingdra that I have now, or any other Swift Swimmer in the last slot. Another interesting mon you can use is CM Lugia in the last slot as a Ray check.

Team 2: 1658838966289.png

You can imagine I got a bit panicky when I tied game 1 vs TSR since I didn't really have a 2nd team ready. This team was basically pulled straight from the finals game vs Tomahawk in UPL 8, except that one had an Ekiller on it. I kind of switched out Ekiller and just slapped on a bog standard Scarf Dialga and worked pretty damn well.
Again, not a subtle team at all, although for this one since I'm using a Bronzong with SR, Deo-S was free to run an extra attack, which is nice. Psycho Boost kills Tentacruel leads and Signal Beam is nice since it hits both Darkrai and opposing Deo-S while Shadow Ball only does one. Custap Bronzong is really one of my favourite Bronzong sets, since I absolutely despise how Bronzong normally saps your momentum. With Custap, you can freely let it take a few hits and when it's time for it die click Explosion and make Bronzong's existence meaningful - which is what happened in the game vs TSR since I took out his Groudon with it and Dialga pretty much had free rein to just Outrage and go ape. HP Fire makes sure Bronzong is not Forre Spike fodder.
To be fair I feel this team is a bit suboptimal since it was built with Ekiller in mind and it really shows. Apart from Groudon the sweeping potential doesn't seem to be there.
Things to optimise: Run Scarf Deo-S since there's another mon covering SR already (Bronzong); run SpD instead of Def on Donner since you can actually tank a Draco Meteor that way; run CM on Latios since you're probably only switching into Ogre once anyway. Physical Gira-O with Sub and Shadow Force can potentially be cool too since it hits super hard.

VS Eden
R2: 1658839006827.png

This isn't exactly the same configuration as in the tour game, but this is the preferred configuration. The only reason I led Groudon vs eden is because after Nora did some scouting, I noticed that he has never used Deo-S (LOL). Leading Groudon seemed safe. Normally Skymin should be lead at least to attempt to stop Deo-S setting up rocks. Ho-oh also seemed to do well against eden's favourite playstyle which appears to fat sun teams, and Ho-oh just sits on those with Sub and Roost all day long and absolutely not care. Even Heatran has trouble since all it can do is Roar me out and not actually have a good long term solution vs Ho-oh.
Anyway this team has its roots from all the way back in like 2010 when I first started playing Ubers before even HGSS came out and Ho-oh had Brave Bird lol. It was like the 2nd relatively successful Ubers team I've ever built. Back then, it had both Scarf Palkia and Latios, which was kind of redundant, and it also had Giratina-O which was okay at the time... but if you've seen me ranting in Discord lately, you have an absolute irrational hatred for Gira-O at the moment. Palkia and Gira-O kind of morphed into Skymin since it can Scarf and be a secondary ground switch-in, which let me have a secondary Kyogre check in Dialga.
Things to consider - given how prevalent Heatran is on sun at the moment, consider running EQ > Brave Bird on Ho-oh so you're not just playing 5-6. Kyogre can be worn down with hazards, Lati@s can be stalled out, Heatran is just annoying.

SF: 1658839049566.png

I actually built this team around the same week Dave graced me with his Demon Don team (will get into that later), but it had SD Groudon and Lucario on it. This kind of came off the team that I built vs CMx which I had a blast using so was thinking of using something similar, but at the danger of being counterteamed I abandoned it.
Anyway, I brought this team back after Dave advised that I just go with something comfortable since I was having trouble making a SpecsOgre lead team (you heard that right), seeing as again, eden never uses Deo-S leads. I brought this team back since it was something I was comfortable with. With Highlord's help, Lucario was changed to SubNP Darkrai (which really pressures those fat sun teams of eden's), and since eden had some history of using Deo-A leads, Dave suggested I give Deo-S Extreme Speed.
The Mewtwo set was kind of tailor-made for the matchup with eden - if you're using this for a standard game Grass Knot is probably better, but since eden loved using Heatran and switching into Heatran is a pain for most of my team, I decided to just give M2 Earthquake. Even with 4 Atk and LO, it clean OHKOs standard Heatran, and came in handy in the game since I could KO his 29% Jirachi without having to risk a Fire Blast miss. The rest is pretty standard.
IMO this is like the classic anti-Kyogre lead team. Setup 2 layers for free, go to Groudon, then to Wobb and then either kill the Ogre with Wobb or if they decide to save it with Thunder Wave then just Safeguard up and start setting up with something.

Things to optimise for general use - Mewtwo set; Grass Knot is in general a better coverage move over EQ. Espeed Deo-S kind of sucks IMO since its only purpose is vs Deo-A. Deo-S should use something like Thunder Wave as a general move or Signal Beam to hit both Darkrai and opposing Deo-S.

VS Jabba: 1658839078945.png

So yeah, these teams are going to get super old. This team at least has the variation that it has Deo-A instead of Deo-S. This team was mainly Dave's idea, IIRC he literally went "Use Deo-A/Groudon/Rayquaza/Wobbuffet/Dialga/Garchomp" in chat I just built it with whatever sets I saw fit. This team still kind of goes with fat Dialga since it's a bit of a blanket check to a lot of things. Otherwise this team works just as you would expect a team like this to work lol.

VS CMx: 1658839105318.png

Out of all the Deo-S sun HOs in this dump this is easily my favourite one to play. Originally this was a Dual Screens + Magnezone + Ekiller team back in Farceus meta. I was really determined to make Magnezone work, but after using Specs Dialga and seeing how it frequently just broke Steel-types just spamming Dragon Pulse, Magnezone kind of just became redundant and ended up getting relegated to eating Dracos and dying most of the time. It was better with just more sweepers.
Anyway, this team is super simple to use. Set up 1-2 layers of hazards with Deo-S and then bring in Dialga to start spamming Dragon Pulse. You don't need to click any other move most of the time when you're doing like 40% to most Steels that's not SpD Jirachi. Don't be dishearted when you see you've only done like 30 to Bronzong - just keep clicking Dragon Pulse because unless they've got recovery (Jirachi), you're outdamaging them most of the time and you'll just take out their Steel, then Ray/Groudon/Mewtwo just go to town straight after. Even if Bronzong has EQ, chances are that it's setting up SR before attacking, so you get 2 free hits in on it, and at worst you're leaving it at like 20% as it kills you and by that stage Ray/Don/M2 will kill it with pretty much anything. Ray can KO Bronz at like about 50% with +1 Outrage easily.
This team is a bit less safe than the Wobbuffet teams since Wobb is an amazing safety net, especially when taking out opposing Scarfers. However, if you've played this right, you should be able to take advantage of whatever opposing Scarfers with another sweeper in typical HO fashion. Mewtwo is nice kind of cleaner that doesn't easily die to anything and the coverage of Ice Beam/Thunder/Aura Sphere hits most things hard, and Lum Berry lets you switch into Dark Void once.

VS robjr: 1658839130532.png

This team IIRC was another Dave suggestion. "Use TTar/Kabu/Ogre/Wobb" and then I kind of just filled in the blanks. Twave Tar was definitely a Dave staple. I think when we first built the team it had ScarfOgre and the team always felt unstable, but simple change to Twave/CM made it super stable afterward since Kabu could revenge Darkrai. This is also the team where I really started using Twave/CM Kyogre because of how damn broken it is. Again, this team spams the shit out of Specs Dialga to break things for Ray to attempt to sweep later.

VS Stallion: 1658839189312.png

So this team is the final Dave team, and holy shit I did not to expect to love using this team this much. I actually felt like I wouldn't be able to get used to this team at all, but jeez did playtesting it change my mind. The Groudon is like what happens if we got Bully Maguire and turned it into a Pokemon lol. So Dave's team was basically this team but with SubSalac Chomp at the end. I thought it was a bit CM Lugia and Ogre weak so the broken shit Twave/CM Ogre went into its slot.
So Sub+3 attacks Groudon is an absolute demon (hence the name Demon Don). With hazards up and a Sub up it pretty much 2HKOs everything that's not Cresselia or Lugia. Cresselia just loses to the other Sub mon on this team (Dialga) and Lugia doesn't like Ogre at all. You fish for burns on Bronz and it can't really hurt you unless it has Grass Knot so keeping a Sub up is easy. Tbh the game vs Stallion doesn't do this set justice IMO, it was a lot more OP in the playtests I did.

VS Inspirited: 1658839220682.png

So last team on the showcase. This is the only team that was made fresh for this tour and not derived from Dave/Alex or a previous Farceus team refit. I got the idea from Dave's Healing Wish Bliss team. Like I said Twave/CM Ogre is broken as shit so what better way to abuse it than to paralyse shit then bring it back to destroy shit with Hwish. What's even better? Doing it twice. The idea is to send on Ogre, Twave its checks and maybe even weak it with CM + attacks, save it after its health gets low and then Healing Wish/Lunar Dance to bring it back later. The main drawback is if Ogre dies to hax this team kind of just falls apart lol.
Anyway, I used Latios in last slot because I knew Wreck never stalls, but this team is otherwise really stall weak since Blissey just walls everything. Consider changing Latios to SubCM Giratina-O (would be good vs spinners), or a physical mon like Ray or something. Either that or run a lure like Exiline's CB Dialga.

Metagame observations:

1) I feel this metagame is pretty stall weak atm. Most people are running offense (myself included obviously), and it's mostly bulky offense with lots of Dialga and slower set up mons like CM Lugia, CM Recover M2, Bulk Up Dialga and CM Giratina-A.
Stuff like these would never fly in a stall meta. There are lots of Blissey weak teams. I had a bunch of teams that I got handed by my team that I rejected simply because they can't break Bliss, or the only thing that can is super telegraphed so the Bliss can player would never realistically put it in danger. Key case in point was the eden vs TSR game which should have been a total Blissey 6-0 from eden if he wasn't unlucky as shit and burned Latias, which literally was the only way TSR could have that game at all.
Phazing is also not very common these days and I don't know why. Again, shit like the above sets would never fly if phazing was common. Shrug
Similarly Toxic is almost non-existant at the moment outside the rare Toxic Heatran. This totally allows the above sets to exist.
I'd have taken advantage of this fact more in UPL and used stall if i) I could build stall and ii) I was good at playing it, but since I have neither of these qualities all I could do is just out-offense people as much as possible.
I'm not sure I like bulky offense that much tbh. It's really easy to build HO teams that just overwhelm what people think are "defensive cores" because they kind of run a few attackers + a couple of mons that glue the team together. Once even one of those mons go your attackers just have free rein. On the other side, once stall gets more common again they don't have the firepower to break it easily. Personally I'd rather just run HO. I'd run stall too, but like I said I suck at it.

2) Draco spam is fucking annoying. I mean, I do it too but it's almost a necessity to i) do it yourself and ii) run a Steel-type that would slow your momentum down to a crawl to not automatically lose to it. So your options for not losing to Draco spam are:
i) Run a Blissey - momentum sink
ii) Run a fat Steel - Jirachi, Bronzong, Heatran -> again, momentum sink. There are ways to mitigate this (eg U-turn on Rachi, Hypnosis/Custap/Boom Zong, Taunt/Roar on Heatran) but altogether the more you try to mitigate this the less sturdy your Draco switch-in becomes. Eg If you want Jirachi to not straight up lose to something Specs Dialga you'll need to run 1 para move, Wish and Protect otherwise it'll end up losing anyway. Skarm kind of sucks in this meta atm too.
iii) Run an offensive Steel - most of these absolutely suck and can never be used to switch into Draco more than once. The stuff we have are:
- Scarf Rachi - takes 45-50 from any good strong Draco
- Lucario - needs Draco to have already been fired to even have a chance to not straight up die and set up
- Heatran - okay, but does not fit on every team. Standard Tran is pretty good at denying momentum, but it's neutral at best. If you run the kind of teams I run it's still a relative momentum sink if you think of it from that POV.
- Metagross - dogshit
- Scizor - dogshit
As an HO player, I absolutely hate the above dilemma. There's a way I think we can mitigate this, but you'd have to wait for my doorstopper post on Farceus to find out more, unfortunately.

3) Ogre leads - you've heard me trash this plenty in this very post already and everywhere else so I'll keep it brief. Currently sash Deo-S is rare so it's kind of acceptable. However, if Sash Deo-S becomes more common again (it will eventually, DPP comes in cycles), then be prepared to see it less. At least, check out your opponent and see what they like running, if they run love running Deo-S (like me), you're just disadvantaging yourself by using an Ogre lead.

4) Wobb is fucking broken and I love it

5) Back Ho-oh is fucking underrated and should be used more. I always reckon people who lead Ho-oh are kind of cheating a bit but it's fine. Back Ho-oh is really where its potential really comes out... if you can use it properly.

6) Lots of Sleep Talking scarfers - this wasn't around the last time I played non-Farceus DPP seriously. I think it's not a bad way to deal with Darkrai, but as soon as I started using these I really felt the limitation of them straight away. You get 1 pop with Sleep Talk attack, so the best case scenario is that you scored a big hit on either Darkrai or whatever they switch in, then you are totally helpless. Your opponent doesn't even need to predict what comes in, you lose a turn absolutely immediately.
Outside of the very obvious free turn you give, I reckon there are some other unique ways Darkrai users can really take advantage of this. First being using Thunder Wave on Darkrai with Dark Void, and instead of eagerly clicking Void straight away, click Thunder Wave first to catch their Sleep Talking Scarfer which makes it even more useless. Second is just use Sub and watch them cry like a bitch. Third is use Protect and Protect on their Sleep Talk and just smack whatever comes in.

7) Healing Wish is awesome... just be careful how you use it. Especially with all the slow sweepers these days, you are allowed to fail once but cripple some shit then bring them back. Fast Healing Wishers have it tough because your recipient can still take a hit, so you can have some hilarious situations where you Hwish your recipient only for it to eat a Draco and die LOL.

Vishes shoutouts:
Stone_Cold - Thanks for putting your faith in me again - and see how your faith has been rewarded! You did a great job keeping my tendency to run stupid shit under control, and without that I probably wouldn't have done anywhere near as well. Also Demon Don was a fucking menace I'll never doubt you again.
TrueNora - The true MVP of the Vishes IMO - you put in so much work with your scouts every week. I don't think we could have gotten as far without the intel. Also thanks for all the DPP test games - you were like the only person available most of the time since everyone else lives halfway across the world, and even though DPP isn't your home meta you still stuck around to test games with me, especially after people figured out that I was testing on roomtours under alts.
SparksBlade - had a great time playing with you and you had a knack of seeing weaknesses in my teams that nobody else could which was always helpful.
Icemaster - you played really well and carried a lot, even though you were quite unlucky
Inder - Fun player to be around, will miss you calling out GOAT when I won a game :) - don't forget to :thumbsdown: Dave next time
King Billu - Didn't talk much, unlucky run, better luck next time
Leru - Unfortunate run, but that Flame Charge Ho-oh sweep vs Lasen definitely made my day :pimp:
skimmythegod - Didn't get to talk much unfortunately, nice to be around
Alex Walls - Unfortunate run, you were unlucky with the matchups and some hax. Thanks for the early DPP help and letting me borrow your teams to get back on my feet. Your suggestion of LO Groudon absolutely crushed CMx's Bronzong so it was great :)
SuperEpicAmpharos - man why does Dave let you run fun stuff and not me :( Oh well you carried our team hard and did it in style. Bringing Gyarados against Heysup (even though all it did was get blewed up on) was fucking badass, trickroom would be proud.
vani - Another carrier for our team, shame we didn't get to talk much
Goat Heart ♥ - Damn putting the GOAT in Goat Heart. That 1000 turn match in semis was fucking ballin - even though I was unable to watch it it still hyped me so much that I was just seeing updates at work and couldn't concentrate in seeing patients lmao. Probably the best game in the tour even though you came out on the wrong side :(
shieldpoke - Fun guy to be around, it was nice of you to step up to test DPP when it was not your meta, thanks for your help
Vulpix03 - didn't get to talk much but a value pick
WSun1 - didn't get to talk much either, sorry
lotiasite - you'll notice that I didn't hang out much with the SS players much. I'm sorry that we didn't get to talk much :(
Xrn - you played well as a sub, shame we didn't get to talk much. That last minute sub-in vs 0kay was absolutely dog and we should totally have called act but thanks for stepping up anyway :pikuh:

Last edited:
here's some personal favorites of mine from this season! go durians! :pimp:

Solgaleo @ Choice Band
Ability: Full Metal Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunsteel Strike
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Outrage

manaphy already posted about this solgaleo on my behalf in the metagame discussion thread, but i want to reiterate how much i actually like this set. for one, and obviously especially for the one upl game, the surprise factor is big. i've used solgaleo in the past and would generally be associated with defensive teleport variants. i don't think a lot of people realize how fast solgaleo is either, which is a big boon for an offensive set like choice band. its coverage is also absurd, with psychic fangs being a very valid alternative, too. full metal body means webs and landorus intimidate don't affect it either. really fun set to use!

Blaziken (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

so blaziken is very legit on hard offense, in my opinion. it has amazing coverage for the meta, resists sucker punch and naturally speeds past offensive checks like calyrex as it gets going. lum berry enables it to get that swords dance against most ndm sets, as well as generally being able to boost on knock off yveltal thanks to its fighting-type. i gave star a team with blaziken that also used screens, but i'd confidently use it on other offenses also. i'd highly recommend trying it out, because it actually has huge potential and naturally matches up deceptively great into the common defensive structures we see in ubers.

Dialga @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Dragon Claw
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

this dialga was actually on the same team as the solgaleo i posted above. you could honestly even argue that ho-oh was my only steel-type that game. that's definitely how a xerneas would see it, anyway. so, bulk up dialga has a neat spot in the current metagame. it uniquely handles calm mind kyogre sets extremely well, while also sitting on eternatus handily. it farms ndm sets on top of that and is generally tricky to handle. it is of course blanked by fairy types and other defensive answers like ferrothorn, so consider that if you want to use it. i pair it with ho-oh for that reason, as well as for backing up solgaleo as the steel-type. i also used offensive meteor beam eternatus with this dialga, as there was much less of a burden on eternatus to handle pokemon like kyogre defensively.

Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 168 HP / 224 Atk / 116 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
- Roost

offensive buzzwole, and specifically having it paired with future sight calyrex and kyogre. i gave this combination to jon for his finals game against fc and it's generally something i like to do in order to keep our own usage honest. buzzwole can be immensely punishing to face if you lack the right coverage for it, while close combat goes crazy with future sight in the wings. buzzwole is particularly effective at this, because it can hard switch into yveltal so easily after clicking future sight with calyrex. note as well that calyrex isn't a slowbro and that future sight outright kills eternatus on its own, for example. i had kyogre and dragon tail eternatus on the team as well to further synergize with future sight and to make sure ho-oh could be abused too.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Gravity

offensive landorus sets are so fun. great speed tier and edge nabs ho-oh and yveltal regularly in my experience. i paired this specific set with twave cm kyogre and calyrex, to not only help get rid of eternatus early, but to make it seem as though eternatus is fine to let go of once it does get paralyzed and weakened, since it's lando caly ndm in the back anyway. that's where my own toxic spikes eternatus comes in. calyrex tricks yveltals boots, lando goes for gravity and toxic spikes go off while lando can safely spam attacks. this is admittedly not a very consistent strategy, though a fun one nonetheless.

Kyogre @ Custap Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 32 HP / 64 Def / 216 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Thunder / Roar
- Ice Beam / Roar
- Sleep Talk

Dialga @ Custap Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 136 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roar

the berries. i only built the one bw team this tournament, but i figured given the stakes and occasion i'd make sure to do it my way and get it right for me. i love custap berries, especially in tiers like these. getting on the back foot in bw is so damn punishing and custap berries can not only give you valuable outs in tough spots, but they also give you pre-planned counterplay options that otherwise wouldn't exist. the kyogre evs allow it to hard into zekrom's outrage and always be in custap range after both just rocks and rocks + one layer of spikes, for example. i was set on an approach like this in order to minimize having to switch defensively and getting shredded by spikes, while maintaining revenge killing prowess in the process. scarf drill is still dope 10 years later, too.

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: No Ability
- Ice Punch
- Dynamic Punch
- Toxic
- Explosion

i don't really get why gengar's usage is so low in gsc ubers. this might be my gsc ou brain not computing, but it seems so potent and important! i tried out this toxic set against amaranth, because i wanted to have a reliable way to force rest on snorlax and tyranitar for the set i'll post after, but also because it massively fucks with the countless non-rest threats that roam the tier like mewtwo, mew, ho-oh, lugia, offensive zapdos and boom lax. fast booms are always, always good, too.

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
Ability: No Ability
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Nightmare
- Self-Destruct / Recover

i brought this guy but never got to reveal nightmare, so here we are. curse tar and talk-less snorlax get shredded by nightmare, which turns mewtwo into a massive headache to deal with, especially if its teammates were able to engage with and trade for the opposing mewtwo already. a fun alternative to the usual barrier toxic mewtwo stalemates for the fans.

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Here are some teams I used / made for the tour:

Week 1 vs Hugo:

This team hasn't lost yet for me, probably should have used it again instead of trying to make new stuff every week but that would be pretty boring. I used this during Classic with 0 games of test in. it yielded great results. The Zygarde set here is the main game changer because you can force Rest in Zygarde vs Zygarde fights which lets you trap with Gengar. Speaking of which, the Gengar set is very changeable, make it your own. Toxic came in pretty clutch in my particular UPL game as well so I have no regrets not running Glare that relies on paralysis; something I almost never get rofl

Week 2 vs pokemonisfun:

I made a lot of teams for this particular week. With my opponent having nothing to no information about them, I had to look more into their SM support and realized both Staxi and Perry love using their fat stuff. So I decided to build this SR Darkceus team with Dual Primals to fend off fat teams and used Skarmory + Scarf Xerneas to keep the HO matchup workable. It's really hard to not use one of Gengar / Marshadow on a team so I put Gengar in there but you can definitely use Marshadow here with different Darkceus and PDon sets.

Week 3 vs Garay Oak:

After I finished building this I remembered that Minority posted this very exact 6 in the Sample Teams thread almost 5 years ago. The sets are different though, please don't look at that Fairyceus set. However, if you did, I would like to inform that I considered running no Judgment and Recover in exchange for Stealth Rock and Stone Edge. It's basically a bait set, do not try this at home.

Week 6 vs plat27:

The team name was inspired by a question I asked in the Ubers Discord at the time and I found the meaning of the phrase cool enough to use it for my team. Plat beat me every time in SM up to this point. I usually ran old stuff versus him so I wanted to change things up this time. I was honestly expecting Greninja HO from his end but he ended up trying to recycle his own stuff that won him games vs me. Too bad this time I cared to go out of my way to build something. Cloyster HO usually beats TSpikes HO which is something my dear teammate The Dovahneer warned about several times and Z DD Zygarde is something I've almost never used in my past 5.5 years playing this tier.

I would share the teams I used in other weeks but they do not belong to me so I leave it up to the original builders to share it if they wish to do so.

That said, here are some unused teams that I made:

https://pokepast.es/0ee1984c41348747 Ultra Necro BO
https://pokepast.es/4814be13f9f25bf2 Gengar Waterceus Balance
https://pokepast.es/7070fa68d5410d6e MMY Geoxern Balance
https://pokepast.es/585ee5f3c98bfa3a MMY Geoxern ft Ho-Oh
https://pokepast.es/853c77e057ba2962 MMX CB Marsh BO
https://pokepast.es/b3b8c1b4e6802804 MMX Waterceus Balance
https://pokepast.es/40986bc71733eff8 AoA MLuc + Phero Poisonceus BO
https://pokepast.es/aa4ac057e041b830 SD MVenusaur + CB Marsh
https://pokepast.es/045221686ee4ae73 SR Waterceus + Setup + Scarf Yveltal

I'd definitely recommend using any of these teams in your own tournament games. I studied USM as a tier extensively prior to the start of this UPL since it was part of our plan + my last tour. I found most of the teams used to be boring with the exception of Paradise Seeker 's stuff so I encourage you all to do your best to make more interesting stuff. Just look at what Garay brought this UPL!

Last edited:

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
While I didn't put most of teams I used together this tournament, I did do a bit of the spread and set work once terra gave me a rough outline of what the mons, items, and a few spreads should be doing when in game (and they had been tested by me). Most of the spreads I added and used were relatively intuitive and standard with some creep depending on the moves used but these few are a bit more specific or the sets themselves have little spread documentation due to them not being standard or because the Pokemon is a Jumpluff.

Zurvan (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 32 Atk / 224 Def / 96 SpA / 156 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake

The Giratina on this team was designed very specifically in order to make sure I could run a frail RP Groudon, the broken Protect Dialga, a Forretress, and a Scarf Latios without getting absolutely floored by Lucario from turn 1. It is by far the weakest Giratina I have used in recent history which means Thunder is going to be pretty bad even if the team did have rain with it. I need to use the Griseous Orb boost as much as possible in order to damage Groudon, Dialga, and Kyogre the way I want so Outrage is here to get that damage done despite the lack of investment on Draco Meteor. Given the 280 Speed, Giratina will either still damage them heavily despite the lack of SpA or will be able to use both dragon moves with speed advantage if the situation requires it. The speed was mostly to get it by Adamant Lucario but it is useful in these situations too.

Juan (Groudon) @ Custap Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 228 SpD / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Swords Dance

This thing is big danger to any ream without a Lugia, Cress, or Ho-Oh really. The spread is a couple SpD points off of living +1 Kyogre Ice Beam 100% of the time but that would have left Groudon on a speed value I am known for using way too much. This could have backfired in one of the games I used it in and I recommend user discretion on your own Custap Groudon. Latios Meteor also tends to leave it a hazard switch-in away from Custap Berry range too and that came up plenty when playing test games with this fella. There are many different ways of getting Groudon into Custap range and it is really up to the player to get it there if it is at all required. I used this spread in another game too but it was more support oriented with Stealth Rock and a nasty surprise Custap Toxic if the opponent isn't careful.

Gale (Jumpluff) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Def / 136 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Encore

This Jumpluff really needed to get by Rayquaza on this team as that mon ruins literally everything else if Groudon takes damage. 319 Speed (it is impossible to reach 318 with Jumpluff efficiently) was required as a result in order to Sleep Powder them or, if it is unboosted for whatever reason, Encore it into something unfavorable against one of my threats here. The rest of the spread is making Jumpluff surprisingly resilient to priority attack despite the bulk inefficiency here. That inefficiency is augmenting the Leech Seed vs Substitute interaction making it so Jumpluff will gain more percentage of its HP back with Leech Seed in order to reach 1/4 benchmarks for Subs in fewer turns. For example, Jumpluff gains about 23% of its HP when fighting a seeded, no HP invested Giratina this way. This was a very fun mon to use in tests and I'm glad theorymon saw the potential in it and terra thought it was good enough to use here. I had a good time with it and its team despite the MU problem in the actual game with Jabba.

There are a couple of full teams I will try and put here later but I have run out of time for now. My w1 team is in the BKC invitational thread and I want to share the augmented dual lead team I used against shrang as well as a couple team I made but didn't use. I'll get to it when time allows.

Last edited:

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
congrats durians, if it wasn't us I wouldn't want it to be anyone else taking the W. I have to apologize to my team since I lost in the one moment it mattered most, but that's how this game goes sometimes. I couldn't be more proud of how far we managed to go after being in 6th place and having 0 wins going into week 7. Huge thanks to keys for agreeing to manage with me, we couldn't have made it that far without your activity, and I know you said you're taking a big break but hopefully if you come back to tours sometime we can run it back and get our win. You trusted me to self buy and I had a blast, that's all I could ask for in a co-manager. Another thanks to eden, I know your record is probably disappointing but you won big in finals and were basically a third manager as the retain with your activity, you'll definitely have a UPL win soon if you keep this up.

Individual shoutouts would take a ton of space so I just want to thank the entire team, you all did super well and picked up your play a ton as the tour went on, wouldn't change a thing about our team even if I could. Thanks to everyone who joined the teamcord to help out, couldn't have done it without the effort everyone put in each week.

I'll probably stick around managing for a bit, this was my first UPL as a manager and I had a great time, been right there in finals twice so hopefully I'll get it soon. But with that out of the way, gonna share a few things from SS that I liked throughout the tour. To probably no one's surprise I built most of the SS teams this year, and while most were fairly standard I still have a few cool things I liked that worked well.

:ss/calyrex-shadow:
Calyrex-Shadow @ Choice Specs
Ability: As One (Spectrier)
Timid Nature
- Astral Barrage
- Nasty Plot
- Trick
- Substitute

This is probably my favourite caly set rn, and I think it might be the best. Used it vs. Icemaster and even though the endgame was messy if I played it better it woulda put in insane work. It's similar to the protect ones people tried out but it has a huge upside in that if you get a call right you either just kill yvel and claim one every time it comes in, or you can sub on a roosting yvel and ignore Marshadow, the biggest offensive threat to Caly. I think it's just an upgrade to Protect Trick and it should see more usage imo.

:ss/clefable: + :ss/groudon:
Clefable @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish

Groudon @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Heat Crash
Originally built this for last seasonal but idt I got to show off Healing Wish, gave this to Punny in semis and it loaded a really good mu that was messed up by a miss w blades, but this core is really good imo. I paired it with Marshadow as well for more power but you can really do whatever offensively. Groudon can get worn down p quickly by things like NDM Iron Head, Toxic on random mons, and going for damage vs Yvel / Etern / Xern, so having Healing Wish as a backup is really solid if you can trade your health for a mon then bring it back late game.

:ss/urshifu: + :ss/yveltal:
Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Low Kick
- U-turn
- Iron Head / Sucker Punch

Yveltal @ Life Orb
EVs: 188 SpA / 68 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Roost
- Taunt

Featured in this game on a team I gave bacon for week 7, Urshifu + LO Yveltal on a bulkier team can do a lot of work in the right MU. Urshifu can bait opposing Yveltal, Ho-Oh, and Eternaus which frees up LO Yveltal a lot, and if you run Iron Head it can chip xern enough to not be an OWing switch in ever. Cool core if you can do it right and it worked out this game, only losing to a don crit after the core did a lot of early damage.

:ss/kyogre:
Kyogre @ Lum Berry
Ability: Drizzle
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Origin Pulse
- Water Spout / Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam

Spread used can be the one on the current lando ogre marsh sample, but I think this set is solid. I tried building around it for finals tiebreak and didn't get to play, but I probably woulda abandoned the idea because it didn't work well with my main core for prep. Gondra used it vs Goat Heart in poffs w twave and it worked well, I just like the idea of spout a lot. Did some builds during SCL but never found something that spout worked perfectly with, probably gonna keep trying because the breaking power is insane if you just stay at full vs stuff while CM'ing.

Didn't really make too many crazy things to use, had to talk myself out of using this team in finals because it was finals, and I tried double dance Caly-I HO which I think can still work, just needs the right MU. That's all I got, hope to see some more variance in seasonal and maybe I'll have more creative ideas to drop, but until then thanks again team, we'll all have our time.
summerchu.png

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
GSC
:Zapdos:
- Thunder
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Whirlwind

does everything in the lead slot that youd want it to.
-thunder for thunder reasons
-reflect lets your HO squad fake an additional normal resist so that you dont autofold to lkiss lax getting a free turn. can be replaced with light screen to deal with mewtwo/electrics better if you roll that way
-thunder wave cripples that hella annoying offensive mewtwo
-whirlwind because your team needs a phazer and you can phaze snorlax trying to curse on you.

all these moves are known, the real tech is mostly in not running any coverage move. call it an antitech or smth, idk. the point is that up until you reveal that fourth move golem and whatnot isnt gonna stay in on you anyway, so you maximize the odds that you have the correct utility move for the matchups you expect to see: lead mewtwo, lead snorlax, lead cloyster, etc. taking sleep is not the worst because sleeping zap without stalk still has fringe defensive capabilities (steelix, golem, lugia, also can fish for wakes vs. opposing celebis should you face stall) but your team better have a high pace so that you can exploit the fact that the opposing snorlax has used up the kiss.

i used this on a team that maybe didnt need this specific zapdos set in the first place (i had golem, did i really need reflect/ww on zapdos?) but i think the idea of triple utility in the lead position is neat nonetheless.

:Marowak:
he good

Last edited:

Eledyr

Le vilain petit Wooloo
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
Translations Leader
Here's a BFB: Big F*cking Builder

I'm posting this builder, there's are a LOT of builds, including the teams I played.
I'd like to put an emphasis on the team I played vs. Tony for the last week in my Drizzlers's adventure.

I built this team with some friends and it worked actually very well. It seems you can still use a team that doesn't not include the YEN core and have some success, which makes me believe that the tier has a large lifetime before being "solved", as I could have read it. I still lost because Tony played better and had a well deserved win. To get into the build:
  • The original version was wow Lunala (which unfortunately couldn't hit a single one during my game but that's an other story lmao), and I believe Moongeist Beam is better for its ability to offensively check NDM & Zygarde, since choosing between Hex & Ice Beam makes me lose either to Sub DD Zyg or DD NDM. And Roar last is great for both & as a last resort vs. Geomancy Xern.
  • Many stalls built so far had some trouble with Eternatus, thus I'm playing an offensive Ho-Oh set that appears to be very useful against it, being able to force progress while playing stall is in my opinion the best thing you can be blessed with, and Ho-Oh remains an excellent stall mons, capable to check a vast bunch of things. Sometimes to not lose you can't just sit and wait, you need to do something, and this is exactly what Ho-Oh does here.
  • I also played a 3 attacks Yveltal set, but I consider Defog to be completely fine over Foul Play. This team can be really changed a lot to fit any desires. I invite as much players as possible that aren't afraid to play stall to give it a try!

Finally, s/o to BasedWhat?, GeniusFromHoenn, Manaphy, and SiTuM (and I probably forgot some other people), who all contributed in this builder. It includes outdated ones from the zacian / zacian-c era, but i'm too lazy deleting 40 teams :woo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)