Unova Classic

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Oh, don't worry, the system will throw you a bone eventually with a high-ranking player.

I was four matches in and going through the same issue, until I was suddenly blitzed by a German 1650 and his sand team. He won, but solely due to Sand Veil hax at the critical moment.
So don't fret, the good shit will come at you soon enough.

EDIT: While I sometimes try to utilize it myself, it's still amusing to see Stealth Rock in Triples, particularly in this speedier format.

Oh, don't worry, the system will throw you a bone eventually with a high-ranking player.

I was four matches in and going through the same issue, until I was suddenly blitzed by a German 1650 and his sand team. He won, but solely due to Sand Veil hax at the critical moment.

EDIT: While I sometimes try to utilize it myself, it's still amusing to see Stealth Rock in Triples, particularly in this speedier format.
Yeah, I know, just ran into a few decent players recently. Finishing my last match for today, who ironically is under the 1500s.. My best battle so far, or Octillery the MVP:8CAW-WWWW-WW4Z-BCLP EDIT: Hit the 1700s with a perfect 15-0 record.

Last edited:
Is there going to be an article/in-depth analysis for this format like there were for the previous Classics (if there isn't one already)?

In addition to simply playing with an unfamiliar team, I've had horrible luck. Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Actually played against some pretty competitive guys tho, which is a plus I guess.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Is there going to be an article/in-depth analysis for this format like there were for the previous Classics (if there isn't one already)?
idk about the other Classics but this was an article for the Unova Classic: http://www.smogon.com/articles/unova-classic

EDIT: (Since I don't want to double post) I did a few matches today and I'm 7-0. I fought a few serious teams while other people were setting up Stealth Rocks or using sets like Shell Bell+Psychic Togekiss

Last edited:
Had some really good battles so far (5-1). Was expecting a lot of rainteams and fought 0 so far :D. Pretty balanced teams so far 1 Tailwind 1 Trick Room and some goodstuff teams.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Finished up 6-9, the last seven losses in a row. Once I got past some "good mons for this competition slapped together with no purpose" teams and obvious joke things, some better archetypes put me in my place pretty fast.

Fought all four weathers (rain three or four times), a farily "standard" goodstuffs with the usual suspects and dual Water Spout/Eruption, an HO goodstuffs with three excellent counters to my leads, one goodstuffs where the player insisted on switching virtually every turn (worked on me pretty well though), and a surprising Discharge spam/abuse core + three Electric-weaks as backups. Nice variety I'm seeing so far, considering I've only fought one person above 1548.

Still, this means this specific team, had it come up against these teams in the Maison, would have effectively ended six win streaks...I can live with that knowledge.

idk about the other Classics but this was an article for the Unova Classic: http://www.smogon.com/articles/unova-classic
Oh wow, hadn't even noticed that, thx for linking...will read right now.

EDIT:
Mega Stones and Soul Dew are banned. I'm sorta starting to feel bad for Mega Kangaskhan now, I think she needs to have at least one night of destructive partying before Sun and Moon!
I don't know which one of you authors wrote that bit, but I suspect you are against the idea of 'showing mercy'.

Last edited:
Had some really good battles so far (5-1). Was expecting a lot of rainteams and fought 0 so far :D. Pretty balanced teams so far 1 Tailwind 1 Trick Room and some goodstuff teams.
Yeah, I haven't seen any rain yet either but I have seen a surprising amount of TerraCott.

Kinda been hoping to see Rain. Lapras does very unholy things to Rain cores.
Also, Feint is really fun to spam, and do not run Saftey Goggles Scizor, it sucks and Amoonguss wins anyway (Rocky Helmet).

Went 9-6 today. Started off losing my first two battles, but was able to claw my way back to a decent ranking. Overall, I've encountered a lot of diversity in teams, and haven't encountered a single Terracott yet. So far, interesting teams I've fought have been a rain team with a Zoroark, a decent team with a Feraligatr and a Kecleon, and a 1600+ Japanese sun team with a Cherrim, Braviary, and Darmanitan. Worst match so far was against a team with Wobbuffet and Sableye where I had 3 straight turns of confusion hax during my trick room.

I lost my last game to a Snorlax with belly drum/Custap berry setup into Self Destruct haha. Lost 3 pokemon at once -was still kinda close after that but didnt expect something like that (newer player) 11-4 for today.

Not played any games yet as I am still trying to get a Scizor to complete my team.

That being said, I am fully expecting not to win a game at all in this but am looking forward to playing later today, if I get my hands on a scizor.

Anyone else not able to find an opposing trainer?

Also, I am 7-4 today because I lost 2 matches due to bad connections, one was just at the end as i knocked out his last pokemon

two of the teams I faced utilized stealth rocks, which broke my Cotts sash and demolished my Volc. I was very surprised.

I had such a difficult time yesterday that I only played 4 matches before I had to quit. I could have went 3/1 if I simply clicked the correct move; I'm finding that my learning curve for this new team is very steep. I wish I had a PC (and more free time) so that I could have practiced on PS. All I could do was watch a few replays now and then, which simply wasn't enough. I'm finding that many teams have prepared well for the Terracott core, which makes mine almost useless.

EDIT: Mistakes that I made so far: Forgot that Wide Guard can be used consecutively without fail (I Encored a Meinshao into WG thinking it would fail and let my +6 Terrakion sweep with Rock Slide. After it didn't fail, I kept using Rock Slide thinking I was just unlucky and he got a double protect), didn't know that Protect stacks with Quick Guard (made my Terrakion fail his Protect after using Quick Guard on the previous turn), used Protect and Follow Me at the same time (the timer was about to expire both times, so I clicked protect in my haste even though I could have attacked), didn't realize Follow Me only had +2 priority and therefore couldn't redirect Fake Out (+3)... X(

Last edited:
First Day: 13-2, my first time playing triple format competitively lol.
Surprisingly... I only encountered one rain team and my last opponent was using some really awesome combos like ally switch to catch me off-guard. Ninetales was very common for me see on the opponents' team. I guess everyone is going hardcore on countering rain teams xD

I did see common strategies like belly drum Azurmarill and Terracot. However, I managed to defeat them somehow.

I only just signed up last night, I was initially not going to compete. I had no pokemon specifically bred for this so I have just put together random pokemon, most of which were used for the Sinnoh classic. I've just started my battles and I'm currently on 3-0 but once I get higher I'll be outclassed.

Interestingly, I faced a team with a Moxie Honchkrow that kicked my butt with Sucker Punch. He brought it out late game to essentially guarantee the KO on my weakened monster and give himself the Moxie boost. One was all he needed to wreck havoc with my team.

Wish I saw the guide before I decided on my team. Good Guide :)
Me too. But I'm definitely gonna keep it by my side while battling tonight.

Out of curiosity, what teams have you all been using?
here is my team: Although, I wouldn't recommend copying it as is because I haven't had much luck with it so far. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Dans9q2SQvfxsNBhWTCFP9rQ_uIbL9nIymvHws-Vqag/edit?usp=sharing

Many thanks T.U.C. , I wont be copying it, not because it isnt a good team but I simply dont have the pokemon to use! Looks a very nice team, would it work outside of the triples setup? And I appreciate the notes about each mon too, gives a newbie like me an understanding of why each is in the team!

I'm hoping to get a scizor today and use something similar to Llewis posted the other day.

6 battles so far, 4 won and 2 lost. Funny enough had a easy win against a team with Terrakion, Whimsi, Voltolos and stuff. I've always struggled with these on showdown.
Last match my enemy used Perish Song and only had one Pokémon which was switched in right after the round. Does anybody know who would've won if I KO'd the last one and everyone would go down due to Perish?

6 battles so far, 4 won and 2 lost. Funny enough had a easy win against a team with Terrakion, Whimsi, Voltolos and stuff. I've always struggled with these on showdown.
Last match my enemy used Perish Song and only had one Pokémon which was switched in right after the round. Does anybody know who would've won if I KO'd the last one and everyone would go down due to Perish?
The last pokemon to faint wins, it's based on Speed.
Player with lowest Speed wins.
In theory at least; in my experience speed is moot, the player who uses Perish Song automatically wins in 3 turns.

Also, I'm running Perish Trap and every single one of my opponents have been switching out. Skarmory, Golduck (which was in the same slot as Gothorita btw), several others. No Ghosts, no Skill Swap. Does Shadow Tag not affect the entire field in Triples? Or am I missing something? And yes I am dead sure I'm using Shadow tag.

edit: It DOES kill Sturdy Saftey Goggles Shedinja under Safeguard though, just confirmed. huehuehue

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)