Unova Classic

Having trouble registering, I hope my laptop hasn't suddenly decided to act up on me at this of all times.
Me too.

Well, I'm having trouble even logging on. It's no big deal since I don't think I'd have been able to play much in this competition, but I'd kinda like to access the PGL at some point in the future.

Anyone else having this issue?

Lol, Audino is pretty impressive in this meta if you underestimate her. Just watched a replay were she uses skill swap to pass sturdy onto a shedinja. I know this is a pretty gimmicky set, but boy did Leeroy Jankins really pull it off in this replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/unovaclassic-419879452. Hopefully this link works, if not, you guys can find it on the replay section of PS, Pattywak vs. Leeeeroooy Jenkins. Clearly shedinja was the wincon here. I imagine Cres also had Skill Swap, and he clearly brought two Sturdy mons and even Twaved his own Shedinja to protect from status. Overall, this is a very well put together team, hence why I'm sharing it here.
EDIT: I'll prob run Leech Seed on my Whimsicott to take down Shedinja, cause this battle makes him look very OP.

Last edited:
Lol, Audino is pretty impressive in this meta if you underestimate her. Just watched a replay were she uses skill swap to pass sturdy onto a shedinja. I know this is a pretty gimmicky set, but boy did Leeroy Jankins really pull it off in this replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/unovaclassic-419879452. Hopefully this link works, if not, you guys can find it on the replay section of PS, Pattywak vs. Leeeeroooy Jenkins. Clearly shedinja was the wincon here. I imagine Cres also had Skill Swap, and he clearly brought two Sturdy mons and even Twaved his own Shedinja to protect from status. Overall, this is a very well put together team, hence why I'm sharing it here.
EDIT: I'll prob run Leech Seed on my Whimsicott to take down Shedinja, cause this battle makes him look very OP.
Pattywak would of won that on cart, actually. All he would have to do is timer stall and win by virtue of having more remaining team mates. Even if that somehow fails, he has far more PP than a lone Shedinja.
Now assuming he was Saftey Goggles Sturdy Sheddy, you could Swagger, Leech Seed, Trick a Life Orb / Eject Button / etc and set Sand/Hail, or use Fire+Grass Pledge. Other things as well, I'm sure.

edit: PGL is shit guys, it never lets anyone log in. I did get registered though.

Last edited:
Pattywak would of won that on cart, actually. All he would have to do is timer stall and win by virtue of having more remaining team mates. Even if that somehow fails, he has far more PP than a lone Shedinja.
Now assuming he was Saftey Goggles Sturdy Sheddy, you could Swagger, Leech Seed, Trick a Life Orb / Eject Button / etc and set Sand/Hail, or use Fire+Grass Pledge. Other things as well, I'm sure.

edit: PGL is shit guys, it never lets anyone log in. I did get registered though.
Yeah, I had thought of that too, stalling. Trick is a good idea... Swagger wouldn't work though. Paddy tried that in this battle and sturdy prevented the confusion damage, unless the mechanics work differently on cart. He also had Toxic on his Shedinja, which makes timer stalling less of an option. Not saying it still isn't viable, just noting that stall is more difficult when your badly poisoned. Also, not sure if PP stalling in an option, wouldn't Sturdy prevent the damage? I imagine you would get a lot of people to rage quit with this strat tho. lol.
EDIT: Bulbapedia says struggle damage would hit through abilities that would prevent it. So yes, PP stalling would also be an option.

Yeah, I had thought of that too, stalling. Trick is a good idea... Swagger wouldn't work though. Paddy tried that in this battle and sturdy prevented the confusion damage, unless the mechanics work differently on cart. He also had Toxic on his Shedinja, which makes timer stalling less of an option. Not saying it still isn't viable, just noting that stall is more difficult when your badly poisoned. Also, not sure if PP stalling in an option, wouldn't Sturdy prevent the damage? I imagine you would get a lot of people to rage quit with this strat tho. lol.
EDIT: Bulbapedia says struggle damage would hit through abilities that would prevent it. So yes, PP stalling would also be an option.
30 min timer (or less) on cart. 60 seconds per Turn and Switch, so yes, even with Toxic racking up, you have more than enough to just outright bleed the timer for 6 turns. Believe me, I've "lost" twice to Chansey Timer-stalls on cart, that would be concrete wins on PS. The above video, he had a Toxic immune Pokemon that could simply park and twiddle thumbs for 20+ minutes and win, in addition to stalling out the PP.

I am having a really hard time trying to find up to date information on rain teams. I am stumped outside of Politoed, Ludiculo and Kingdra. This will be my first experience with triple battle format. Outside of the viability rankings at the beginning of this thread is there a good template for triple battle rain teams, or any guides?

I'm the same way too. I was more thinking of a Kingdra/Politoed/AA Scizor to deal with opposing Ludicolo teams. But Sun teams are going to be pretty dangerous as well.

With Rain yeah, you usually have Ludi + Toed, then a third Surfspam in Kingdra, Kabutops (Rock Slide / physical mon), or Jellicent (options include Water Spout, Water Absorb, and Trick Room).
Scizor is pretty much mandatory, with Feint busting Guards/Protect, Bullet Punch for Whimsicott and Terrakion / general softening, and Bug Bite (maybe Aerial Ace for range) to break Ludicolo, Cress, and Musharna.
Gastrodon is available for TR rainspam.

After that, enjoy two team slots. Raichu offers fast Fake Out, Feint, Lightningrod, and manual Rain as support. Thunderbolt is pretty good too. Standard supports like Hitmontop work fine in Rain as well.
Tornadus and Thundurus specifically offer Prankster Rain Dance; Tornadus spams a powerful, ranged Hurricane while offering Tailwind as an option too, Thundy spams Thunder with t-wave as an option. Dragonite offers immense bulk, Hurricane + Thunder, Tailwind, Extremespeed, and a pretty sizable list on its own, and is an often-neglected choice in Rain teams. MegaMence being banned is another huge thing.

As for Sun, Rain Dance Thundy goes literal miles.

I think Volcarona could work very well on rain teams, altho Dragonite's Hurricane would be more powerful than the moths. Cradily is another guy to consider who, like Gastrodon, works well on TR teams and has Storm Drain. Zapdos works well too, has manual rain, Thunder, Tailwind, and has great spread moves in Discharge and Heat Wave (altho your rain would weaken Heat Wave). Toxicroak could also work on rain with Dry Skin (your surfs would heal him) who also gets Fake Out, Feint, Rain Dance, Quick Guard, Helping Hands, and Snatch , as well as a butt load of decent damaging moves such as drain punch, sucker punch, low kick, Gunk Shot and oddly enough, Super Fang.

I think Volcarona could work very well on rain teams, altho Dragonite's Hurricane would be more powerful than the moths. Cradily is another guy to consider who, like Gastrodon, works well on TR teams and has Storm Drain. Zapdos works well too, has manual rain, Thunder, Tailwind, and has great spread moves in Discharge and Heat Wave (altho your rain would weaken Heat Wave). Toxicroak could also work on rain with Dry Skin (your surfs would heal him) who also gets Fake Out, Feint, Rain Dance, Quick Guard, Helping Hands, and Snatch , as well as a butt load of decent damaging moves such as drain punch, sucker punch, low kick, Gunk Shot and oddly enough, Super Fang.
Oh, yeah, Volc.
Zapdos and Thundurus are almost interchangable, kinda felt it was implied :P
Moltres exists too, very strong Hurricane + Ferrothorn hate + Sun backup.

So yeah guys, these last 3 posts should be all you ever need for Rain in the Unova tourney.
Still gotta decide on my shit.

Since there seems to be quite a few people here new to triple battles and asking what kind of mons go well on rain/ weather teams, I took the liberty of collecting these stat links from the PS and figured I'd post them here for easy access. The movesets links will be most useful for those rain/ weather team inquiries. I hope you guys find these links helpful:

Usage:
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-07/unovaclassic-1760.txt
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-07/unovaclassic-1630.txt
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-07/unovaclassic-1500.txt
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-07/unovaclassic-0.txt

Movesets, teammates and other stats:
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-07/moveset/unovaclassic-1760.txt
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-07/moveset/unovaclassic-1630.txt
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-07/moveset/unovaclassic-1500.txt
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2016-07/moveset/unovaclassic-0.txt

Battle Spot Triples Stats:
http://battlespotstats.com/?game=ORAS&season=16&format=Triple

I put this here because it too can be a learning tool for UC, and I find this website to be easier on the eyes and more intuitive.

Last edited:
Hello, I try and can not, some simple team to use in the tournament? pleaseeeeee
I've got four mons I think you could use...
Abomasnow
Ninetales
Politoed
Castform

Your opponent will have no f****** idea what your strategy is. You will the element of surprise my friend. If you can get ahold of one I suggest a weather ball Raikou but that's an old event from 2011 so I don't know how easy it would be to acquire. For the 6th slot I'd recommend Landorus. Slap him on the team and call it good.

I've practiced a few times on Battlespot Triples against what seemed like Unova Classic teams. They definitely used unorthodox Pokemon that I didn't expect but somehow had great synergy with each other.

Lurked around these parts for a long while without actually posting!

I am currently looking to put a team together for this and will be my first time battling, so I am not expecting to win a game! Quick question, when viewing replays on PS, is there a way to see move sets?

Oh and the posts throughout this thread have been incredibly useful!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lurked around these parts for a long while without actually posting!

I am currently looking to put a team together for this and will be my first time battling, so I am not expecting to win a game! Quick question, when viewing replays on PS, is there a way to see move sets?

Oh and the posts throughout this thread have been incredibly useful!
Nope, you just have to memorise what they use.

I thought that would be the case! Thanks for the swift response.
Welcome! I also posted some PS moveset links just a few posts above this one. There, you can see what the most common movesets are for certain pokemon. If you see a mon on PS reply, I'd cross reference the mon with the moveset links to find out what their most common strategies are. Ctrl + F is a lifesaver for finding specific mons. No, you can't lookup what a specific user had on their monsters, but its a great start.

Welcome! I also posted some PS moveset links just a few posts above this one. There, you can see what the most common movesets are for certain pokemon. If you see a mon on PS reply, I'd cross reference the mon with the moveset links to find out what their most common strategies are. Ctrl + F is a lifesaver for finding specific mons. No, you can't lookup what a specific user had on their monsters, but its a great start.
Thanks for this, such a huge, valuable resource!

I'm currently looking through to see what I can put together, though any team for this won't be ev/IV trained!

Here's hoping I can get something for future though!

Oh shit it started didn't it. Been obsessed with completely wrecking my BSD ranking.
Well I got shit to do tomorrow so I guess it's time to stick 6 random shits together. #yolo

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
My first battle was a nail-biter that came down to the final hit, and this was against a goodstuffs trainer whose 'strategy' consisted of center Milotic and Knock Off spam on the sides.

This is gonna be so much fun, I can already see. My Maisonmon team has one victory under their belt, so this is already a half-success.

I've won all my matches so far, though I'm depressed that most the battles have been too easy, mainly a bunch no-compeitive players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)