UnderUsed Teambuilding Lab (Check Post #479)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok I know there has been a resurgence of requests as of late, but I am sad to say that this thread is being shut down for the duration of UUPL. It will open back up with a clean slate at the end of UUPL as I feel that activity has died down again due to bouts of no requests, "bad" requests, and lack of overall builder drive. I am hoping UUPL can inspire us to come back full force to this Lab and continue to help the always growing Underused community. I know this may seem short, but I want to thank every builder and every requester for their participation in this "first run". Love ya guys.

Tagging fellow builders Hogg and King UU to lock this up for me n_n

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey guys and welcome back to all the builders. First off, I wanna say how glad I am that most of the builders who were here before came back and I am glad to hear a lot of people have been waiting for this. Secondly, I am adding an addition to a rule in the OP which states:
All requests must make sure that the Pokemon being requested to be built around are at least B rank (or above) in the Viability Rankings. If you're requesting a core, make sure that you provide good reasoning why that core would be a good choice to built around in the current metagame. Even if it's only one Pokemon that is to be built around, it has to be viable enough in the current metagame to warrant being built around.
I also expand on this by saying do not expect us to fulfill a request of a Pokemon that doesn't do well in the current metagame. Furthermore, any Salamence related requests will not be looked at unless it stays after the suspect.

With that, I just have to say...

WE'RE BACK BABY!!!

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Requesting a BO/balance team built around late-game cleaner Mega Swampert. I haven't seen much of it lately, and I think it really threatens most meta Pokemon right now, like Mence, Hydrei, MAero, MBee and the like. All the teams I built were either vulnerable to those guys, or weak to stall (esp burns). If you can build me a team with a soild offensive presence but still capable of taking and dishing some hits, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: nv
Glad this is back.

Tornadus @ No item
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Acrobatics
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Requesting an offensive team built around a seriously underrated mon: Tornadus. You don't see it that much on the ladder, and that's a shame because it's very fast, pretty powerful and surprisingly versatile. While I would prefer the team to be more offensive overall, I would like to have something in there which can take some hits if needed. I tried building teams with this guy, but I always found myself weak to Mega Aeroactyl.

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Protect
- Ice Fang

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance
- Recover

Glad to hear you are back online. Thanks in advance.
Requesting an offensive team built around the well known sd pass celebi+ mega sharpedo. We all know +2 sharpedo with speedboost rips entire teams apart and there is literally no counterplay to it other than priority. I tried building around it and came up with a decent solution but I (and I guess a lot of other newbs) would love to see a more experienced approach to backing up this extremely strong core. Sets are only an example and can be changed up to whatever suits the team best. (would love if the builder could fit in entei but feel free to ignore that)

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- U-turn

Heracross @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Facade

Resubmitting this. Yanmega is a cool breaker that people are never really prepared (as in, they'll switch in their resist expecting to tank Bug Buzz or Air Slash or Protect and get wrecked by Tinted Lens), and Guts Orb Heracross is probably a top ten wallbreaker in the tier. Looking for a bulky or heavy offense team using these two. Balance could also work to keep these two healthy with Wish support.

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Dazzling Gleam
- Synthesis

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

two pokemon that dont neccesarly synergize directly with each other, but are very powerful individually, and underrated in my opinion, especially shaymin. the general vision i'd have behind the team would be something balance leaning to offensive, with a f/w/g core with shaymin maybe, that can pressure decently for a reuniclus sweep late game. the other 2 spots would naturally fill in what shaymin's partners wouldnt cover, altho f/w/g isnt really a neccessity, just an idea. regarding mega's, i'd obviously prefer having one :P but i guess that also depends on the team, so no particular mega of choice. thanks ahead , i hope its decently viable enough to give a shot

Requesting a offensive or balance team involving Escavalier. Escavalier is really good fairy counter(namely Florges and Sylveon), as well as other special attackers, such as Roserade (barring hp fire of course). It is also good at checking ice types, trapping annoying Psychic and Ghost types with Pursuit, as well as breaking balance teams with its immense attack stat and powerful STAB Megahorn. Definitely a powerful steel type in today's metagame.

Escavalier @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 204 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Swords Dance

Last edited:

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt / Thunder Punch
- Explosion

Requesting an offensive team made around Choice Band Metagross. CB Metagross is a pretty cool wallbreaker that has some defensive utility in checking Sylveon and other Fairies while also checking Celebi. Explosion is a nice tool for it allowing Metagross to punch holes into teams, even OHKOing Suicune after SR. However, Metagross is slow and weak to common types, making it hard to fit onto a team, but I think you guys will be able to make a good team with Metagross. Thanks in advance!

nv

The Lost Age
Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- U-turn

Heracross @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Facade

Resubmitting this. Yanmega is a cool breaker that people are never really prepared (as in, they'll switch in their resist expecting to tank Bug Buzz or Air Slash or Protect and get wrecked by Tinted Lens), and Guts Orb Heracross is probably a top ten wallbreaker in the tier. Looking for a bulky or heavy offense team using these two. Balance could also work to keep these two healthy with Wish support.
Sadly, Yanmega is sitting in C+ rank and as such this request is in direct violation of the new and updated rule. For that reason, this request is DENIED. That being said, feel free to request something else.
Requesting a offensive or balance team involving Escavalier

Escavalier @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Atk / 204 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
I cannot accept this request unless you update your post with an explanation as to why Escavalier is good in the current metagame and what it can do (for ex. your set is subpar, but SD > Knock Off or Pursuit gives a win con, etc.)

Sadly, Yanmega is sitting in C+ rank and as such this request is in direct violation of the new and updated rule. For that reason, this request is DENIED. That being said, feel free to request something else.
I cannot accept this request unless you update your post with an explanation as to why Escavalier is good in the current metagame and what it can do (for ex. your set is subpar, but SD > Knock Off or Pursuit gives a win con, etc.)
Okay, done!

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce / Earthquake

I'm looking for a nice team based on Sub DD Gyarados. Gyara is just such a great sweeper with powerful STABs and decent bulk. Also, because of Intimidate, it can find lots of opportunities to force its opponent out and set up a Dragon Dance. This thing fits well on a Balance or Bulky Offense team, but really it just needs partners that beat bulky waters, physical walls, and faster Scarfers like Hydreigon. Go crazy. :)

Last edited:
I request an offensive team around Mega Houndoom:

Houndoom @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt

Mega Houndoom with taunt can stop defensive pokemon which put garbage or recovered, with nasty plot can reach a brutal amount of special attack which allows you to destroy entire teams and the rest is for the bonus stab with fire blast and dark pulse.

LRXC

ADV 1v1 Pioneer
is a Community Contributor

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce / Earthquake

I'm looking for a nice team based on Sub DD Gyarados. Gyara is just such a great sweeper with powerful STABs and decent bulk. Also, because of Intimidate, it can find lots of opportunities to force its opponent out and set up a Dragon Dance. This thing fits well on a Balance or Bulky Offense team, but really it just needs partners that beat bulky waters, physical walls, and faster Scarfers like Hydreigon. Go crazy. :)
Id like to second this possibly with Entei+Gyarados :)

Just to be sure, when the updated rules say "B Rank or above", is it referring to the general B rank (as suggested by the preceding "think rank B- or above" when describing viables), or the specific B rank (i.e. excluding B-)?

Conkeldurr (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Requesting a offensive team around the lord himself CB Conkeldurr. He is one of the favorite fighting types and ever since him and sylveon dropped i wanted to build a team around it. I love conk's massive attack stat and did not like assault vest and the life orb sheer force required a lot to be removed and god level prediction skills which i don't have. Choice Band along with iron fist really hit home for me as it hits ridiculously hard and puts that 140 attack stat to good use. Hammer Arm boosted by iron fist does a shit ton of damage to commonly seen pokes such as swampert and also 2hkoes mr. centralizing suicune. I have been failing to build around cb conk due to it's bad speed and flying/fairy types roaming in the tier altho i can do upwards of 70% to sylv with prediction, and mach punch does murder late game. Overall would really like if someone built a competitive team around this set and feel free to change nature or last slot move choices. I also do not mind if the build ends up being a balance as long as choice band conk can remain healthy and wreck havoc. Peace and fuck suicune.

Last edited:

modularform

formerly Salamance
EDIT: I changed my mind; please ignore my previous request. Here is a new one:

May I have a bulky offense team built around Metagross + Hydreigon?
Sets are of course adjustable at the builder's discretion.

376.gif

Metagross @ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock
-Explosion
635.gif

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
-Dark Pulse
-Draco Meteor
-Flash Cannon
-Earth Power / Fire Blast / Superpower (Depending on what final team is weak to)

This is a potent offensive core built around the ubiquitous Hydreigon and powerful Metagross. The two have great offensive synergy, being able to demolish Pokemon the other is weak to. Metagross can eliminate Fairy types that Hydreigon despises, such as Sylveon and Florges, while Hydreigon obliterates Cresselia, which Metagross cannot break past, and resists Metagross's weaknesses, which is appreciated by it. Metagross also provides Stealth Rock, which is mandatory on every team, and can put a huge dent in bulky waters with Explosion, which infest the UU Tier like a plague. Hydreigon is also an extremely potent offensive Pokemon, evidenced by its deserved S-Rank and a high 12 percent usage (1630 stats).

Thanks in advance to whomever builds my team!

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, sorry but I've been lazy lol.

TrulyDevious

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Rain Dance

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
- Toxic

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
EVs: 132 HP / 184 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade

So basically this is the BO / balanced team you wanted around RD MegaPert. I decided to go for Bronzong / Sylveon defensive core to complement it since they give you a lot in terms of helping Swampert do what it does best by providing entry hazard support, clerical and Wish support as well. At this point I wanted an entry hazard remover that could also help with stall, so I went for Tentacruel. Offensive Tentacruel was chosen here due to Krookodile / Mamoswine being quite the annoyance for this team and luring them in order to play a lot more safely was optimal. Offensive Tentacruel also outspeeds some other stuff like Entei so you're less pressured by that too. Next up I wanted more insurance for offensive teams as the team was quite slow disregarding Swampert after a Rain Dance so I went for Choice Scarf Hydreigon due to it being good vs offense in general, while also providing good defensive utility in being able to check many threats the team had, such as Chandelure. Lastly, I wanted a setup sweeper as a general wincon that didn't rely on a set turn limit in order to sweep, and I also wanted to have a good answer for bulky Water-types, especially Suicune, so Virizion made for a good choice here.

Other options include having SD Celebi or some rendition of Baton Pass Celebi with Weakness Policy could be an option over Virizion due to it being able to pass boosts to Scarf Dreigon / MegaPert which could be an interesting idea while 3 Atk SD Celebi might be decent for providing priority, which the team doesnt have. You could also have Heavy Slam over Gyro Ball on Bronzong but I felt Mega Aerodactyl was a much bigger threat than Sylveon was. Hidden Power Electric over Protect, or EQ over Protect on Bronzong are also options. The former helps with Gyarados, which is one of the teams biggest issues, while the latter helps you bop Fire-types that come in on Bronzong, which can be annoying. Protect provides you with the ability to scout and Toxic stall though which is pretty important at times. Scald over Hydro Pump on Tentacruel may also be a good option to provide an accurate and consistent STAB that allows you to beat Empoleon a bit better, which has proven to be slightly annoying to deal with at times. Power-Up Punch over Ice Punch on Mega Swampert is also an option at the expense of being able to hit Grass-types well, which could be annoying due to how Celebi can destroy the team. When bringing Celebi up, X-Scissor over Stone Edge on Virizion is an option, as is Zen Headbutt, as the former helps with Celebi immensely while the latter helps you smack the likes of Roserade (annoyance) and Toxicroak while still providing coverage against Crobat.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Spiky Sheild

Requesting a Balance team to be built around Chesnaught. Chesnaught is one of the best defensive spikers in the metagame. It has a great defensive stat and has access to good support moves like leech seed and Spiky Sheild. These moves help it take on physical attackers. With the bulletproof ability Chesnaught is immune to sludge bomb.

Have fun building!

Hello, I would like to request a team built around Toxic spikes Dragalge+mega Sharpedo.

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Ice Fang
- Protect
- Waterfall

Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dragon Tail
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic Spikes

The basic idea of the core is setting up hazards with Dragalge and then spreading statuses and wearing down stuff for a mega Sharpedo to sweep late game. I would like the team to be bulky offense but its upto the builder to choose the best style. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
I think you should go with a Modest nature on that Dragalge set - you're using Dragon Tail to phaze rather than do damage, and thanks to Adaptability it'll still hit hard anyway. If you really want to preserve its output, go with a Quiet nautre. I don't think you miss out on outspeeding anything notable.

I think you should go with a Modest nature on that Dragalge set - you're using Dragon Tail to phaze rather than do damage, and thanks to Adaptability it'll still hit hard anyway. If you really want to preserve its output, go with a Quiet nautre. I don't think you miss out on outspeeding anything notable.
thanx for pointing out my mistake :D

Manipulative

Camila <3
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Salamance

Metagross @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 112 Atk / 176 SpA / 220 Spe
Naive Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Explosion / Bullet Punch / Earthquake
- Grass Knot

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Hyper Beam
- Quick Attack / Psyshock / Heal Bell
- Baton Pass

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch / Knock Off

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 216 Atk / 40 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

I started off with the requested Metagross + Hydreigon core. Sylveon was added in for a Hydreigon switch-in, another powerful wallbreaker, and because Baton Pass worked nicely alongside U-turn. At this point, I had a fairly good idea of how the rest of this team was going. It probably wasn't going to fit hazard removal in without making the team overall more redundant, so I knew I needed a grounded Poison-type to get rid of TSpikes. Despite not having hazard removal, this team seems to function just fine with MAero being the only mon weak to Stealth Rock and the team being able to pressure every common Spike user. Anyways, Toxicroak came in as the grounded Poison-type, and more importantly for the sake of having a Scald switch-in. Next, I added in MAero as my mega for some naturally high speed and because the team was looking quite weak to Mega Beedrill. Finally, I added in Swampert because I had no switch ins to Entei nor MAerodactyl. I was also lacking an immunity to Volt Switch and could definitely have used something bulky to pivot into, so Swampert fit in really nicely.

Some of these sets may seem just a bit weird, but they're what I thought was ideal for the team. Metagross' set in particular is pretty unusual, but fits the team fine after looking at the lack of hazard removal. It really helps pressure certain hazard setters that would normally think they can stay in on Metagross pretty safely to get their hazard up, such as opposing Swampert and Forretress. I put Explosion as the first slash, but Bullet Punch is a pretty fair option if you opt for Knock Off on Toxicroak so that Sylveon's Quick Attack isn't your only form of priority. Earthquake is also an option if preferred. I had Swampert to take care of Stealth Rock, meaning using that final moveslot on Metagross for an attack was fine. Also, the EV spread allows Metagross to outspeed Modest Nidoqueen, always OHKO regular Swampert after Rocks, with the rest going into Attack. It also allows it to always 2HKO Suicune after Rocks and Leftovers. Sylveon runs Hyper Beam to ease the pressure that certain bulky mons, such as Snorlax and Cresselia, may put on this team. Quick Attack is my usual go to for that third moveslot for certain situations where that priority can help, but Psyshock or Heal Bell are equally useful options if not better. Sucker Punch is the first slash on Toxicroak, but Knock Off is certainly a noteworthy option, especially since no other team member carries it. It eases the team's matchup against Bulky Psychics such as Cresselia, cripples Nidoqueen on the switch-in, and is just very useful in general. However, you'll most likely want to consider Bullet Punch on Metagross if you go with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)