UnderUsed Teambuilding Competition Week #13 - Scizor

Congrats to starbitstorm for winning the week and thanks for all the submissions, everyone! This week's subject will be...

1674476947227.png
Wo-Chien
1674476950961.png

We've looked at a lot of offensive threats in the teambuilding competitions so far, so this week we'll be building around something that fits better on bulkier styles. Wo-Chien is an interesting case, being the only one of the 4 Treasures of Ruin that is usable in UU. Wo-Chien has a lot of good traits going for it; its ability, Tablets of Ruin, reduces the Attack stat of the Pokemon opposing it by 25%. It has superb natural bulk and surprisingly good offensive and Speed stats for a bulkier Pokemon as well. Finally, Wo-Chien has an excellent movepool, especially in terms of utility moves. Wo-Chien has access to Knock Off, Leech Seed, Ruination, Stun Spore, and Taunt, allowing it to mess with the opposing team in lots of ways. So what drags Wo-Chien down? It's the typing. Grass/Dark is an poor defensive typing, giving Wo-Chien a whopping 6 weaknesses to Fighting, Fairy, Flying, Poison, Fire, and Ice, and a crippling double weakness to Bug. This can make it hard for Wo-Chien to effectively wall Pokemon, since many Pokemon will have a coverage move that can hit Wo-Chien super effectively. The double Bug weakness is particularly troublesome, as it makes Wo-Chien vulnerable to U-turn from metagame threats like Slither Wing, Lokix, and Staraptor. Wo-Chien's natural bulk and ability do somewhat compensate for the large number of weaknesses it has, and it can opt to remove its primary weakness through Terastalization, so Wo-Chien has still seen success in UU despite these flaws. Let's see what kind of teams you can make with the slug!

Teambuilding Restrictions:
  • The team should be built in the Scarlet and Violet UnderUsed format.
  • The team must include Wo-Chien.
Submission Deadline: Friday, January 27, 2022 @ 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).

Woah! It's A Ghost!

Wo-Chien @ Leftovers
Ability: Tablets of Ruin
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stun Spore
- Hex
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed

Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Roost

Tinkaton (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 172 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Gigaton Hammer
- Thunder Wave

Quagsire @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Dudunsparce @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Flamethrower
- Glare
- Ice Beam

Gallade @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Psycho Cut
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade

The team functions once the opposing team is fully statused. Ghost on Wo Chien gives a Bug resist where there was once a glaring weakness, as well as both powering up Hex and blocking Rapid Spin. Quagsire + Talonflame serve to punish U-turn + First Impression spam (both are required to make this team work), and Gallade can either clean up late game or nab surprise KOs with the Choice Scarf. Dudunsparce could be physical, but the special set performs better against Forretress, to name just one example.

Wo-Chien + Calm Mind Florges Semistall

(click for importable)

My instinct building with Wo-Chien was to use the popular Knock Off + Leech Seed + Substitute + Protect set, which cripples the heck out of opposing teams by removing items, forcing switches, and racking up a ton of residual damage, and I feel it works well here. Wo-Chien makes use of its great natural bulk and resistances to key special attacking types like Ghost, Electric, and Ground to switch in and mess with the opposing team. Tera Ghost gives Wo-Chien an excellent defensive typing, removing its Fighting, Poison, and Bug weaknesses and replacing them with an immunity and resistances, respectively. It also allows Wo-Chien to act as a spinblocker should it get the opportunity to do so. I wanted to partner Wo-Chien with something bulky that could switch into Fighting- and Bug-type attacks for it if having Wo-Chien Terastallize isn't appropriate, though, and Florges fit the bill well. Calm Mind Florges is a relatively niche but dangerous win condition, and can support its team with Wish passing as well. Florges' good special bulk also allows it to switch in on threats like Iron Jugulis for the team. Quagsire is next, and provides the team with a bevy of valuable traits all in one Pokemon: an Unaware user, a Stealth Rock setter, a Toxic spreader, a physical wall, and an Electric immunity. You know what Quag does, not much needs to be said here. Altaria provides hazard control and another check to physical attackers for the team, in particular checking Pokemon like Slither Wing and Lokix while spreading burns. I've opted to use Flamethrower as Altaria's attacking move here to pressure Forretress and Orthworm. Natural Cure is also nice against other bulky teams and allows you to stall out Toxic PP from opposing Quagsire with good switching. Tinkaton is next and helps check many special threats, most notably Choice Specs Gengar. It also provides the team with another Knock Off user and can force switches or create advantageous situations with Encore. This Tinkaton additionally carries Swords Dance, again to aid in the matchup against opposing bulky teams. Grafaiai is the final member, and acts as the Speed control for the team while providing another Gengar check and Knock Off + Encore user.

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/f03a3fe68fccb225

well shit... i accidently restarted while typing this shit out... well time for a TLDR

woo chien: helps vs physical attackers, body press lures in lucario, and knock and leech help wear down the team in range of tera flying iron jugulis and CB lycan-d

Gastrodon: special wall that is able to take on gengar, special mence, and is able to provide more spikes to the team, tera poison to take on mons using grass such as tsareena, tera grass armarogue, wo chien, etc, sludge bomb poisons are really good at forcing progress

Iron jugulis: Knock + u-turn is super annoying, tera flying + hurricane is a great progress maker, and with its speed it can annoy the crap of the other team

Tinkaton: great defensive utility, is able to wear down opponents via removing boots alongside the other members to make hazards stick, t wave is for setup sweepers and helps punish pokemon such as talon that think its free to switch in esp since it values its speed a lot.

CB lycan-d: is a great progress maker esp with tera fighting CC it can wreak a lot of stuff, it is a great anti-HO mon esp with accelerock beating gyara, mence, endure armarogue, smash polteageist, etc.

Talonflame: great mon, annoys the crap out of tsareena, and taunt really helps vs balance and stall teams esp to annoy the crap out of orthworm, quag, and hippo

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
https://pokepast.es/5d759c310183feb4

:gastrodon::wo-chien::lucario::scream tail::coalossal::mimikyu:

In this team Wo-Chien gives me Knock Off support so I don't have to run a Tinkaton + it has Taunt so I can break fat, so I don't need to use Slowking Future Sight + strong breaker. Gastrodon here helps Wo-Chien beat rain teams since Taunt has trouble fitting Protect, which is usually what helps Wo-Chien survive vs rain. I can run a bit more SpDef on my Gastrodon since Coalossal handles Talonflame very well plus this lets me run Spikes on one of the two mons. Having spikes lets me use common abusers like Lucario and MMQ which through disguise and priority makes me comfortable enough to not run a Scarf user. That lets Scream Tail glue things together and provide Wish support to the team, particularly Coalossal.

It's a bit weak to Slither Wing but otherwise I enjoy this team.

Gonna throw in the Wo-Chien + Orthworm Stall team I made for the academy testing.

https://pokepast.es/bf9e44dea66287bd

:Blissey: :Wo-Chien: :Alomomola: :Quagsire: :Talonflame: :Orthworm:

This team originally started off as a team built around Orthworm but Wo-Chien ended up becoming the teams real wincon since it can easily abuse hazard support with the switches it forces with Leech + Knock. The idea is to get up a bunch of Hazards, get in and Sub up with Wo-Chien and repeatedly force switches until you're either forced out or your opponent loses. Wo-Chiens defensive role on this team is simply to be the alternative Special Sponge to Blissey, since it helps put a lot of pressure off of Blissey when it comes to taking stray Volt Switches and alike.

The rest of the team is extremely standard, since it has the standard Rocks + Spikes + Knock core alongside the normal 4 stall pokes. Orthworm exists as an alternative Wincon while also countering most DDers. It sets up on Gastrodon and Quagsire for free too.

Congrats to pokemonisfun for winning the week and thanks for all the submissions, everyone! Next up is...

1674476947227.png
Lucario
1674476950961.png

Lucario is one of the most popular Pokemon of all time, and finds an excellent home in current SV UU. Its main claim to fame in the tier has been as one of the best abusers of the generation's new Terastalization mechanic, using Tera Normal + Swords Dance + Extreme Speed alongside its great attacking stats and STAB moves to become a terrifying wallbreaker and sweeper. With excellent Fighting and Steel coverage to work around Normal's immunities, Lucario is frequently able to break holes in teams or clean up games with good positioning. This is aided by Lucario's decent speed and good resistances from its Steel/Fighting typing. While this has certainly been Lucario's most prominent set, it is of course not the only one it is capable of running. Being one of Game Freak's favourites has gifted Lucario with a deep movepool, with options like Agility, Bulk Up, Calm Mind, Nasty Plot, and Vacuum Wave, notably allowing Lucario to also attack from the special side to surprise checks to physical sets. Despite all the love Lucario gets, it unfortunately has numerous flaws. It's fairly slow for an offensive Pokemon, and gets outsped by many others like Sandy Shocks, Salamence, Gengar, and Mimikyu, the latter two of which also force Lucario to use its weaker Steel STAB to hit them at all. Lucario's bulk is also not good, and it has weaknesses to several common attacking types in Fighting, Ground, and Fire, making it difficult to switch Lucario in. Finally, Lucario's reliance on Life Orb for damage means that it tends to get worn down quickly, which in combination with its poor bulk means that it can be revenge KO'd earlier than it would like in some situations. Let's see what we can do to give Lucario some great teams to fit on!

Teambuilding Restrictions:
  • The team should be built in the Scarlet and Violet UnderUsed format.
  • The team must include Lucario.
Submission Deadline: Friday, February 3, 2022 @ 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).

https://pokepast.es/179a4669ce01a59f

sandy shock: the lead mon, it has both rocks and spikes so i went with it as its a very good option in starting the game off, esp since it is also able to fire of tbolts to screw with talon, and is able to earth power donphan to make it regret staying in.

Iron Jugulis: is the next mon on the team, with booster energy it can fire of hits and knock off helps to wear down opponents, taunt helps by denying defog attempts from talonflame and punishes it for trying to remove hazards by removing its item. It also helps vs sun as with booster energy its fast asf and can outspeed the chlorophyll pokemon such as scovalian, sandy shocks, slither wing, etc.

Haxorus: The main stallbreaker of the team, with dragon and ground coverage it pretty much hits the enitre tier for at least neutral damage and it is able to screw up a lot of stalls with tera ground earthquake just mashing it away. Protect is there for lokix and slither wing which annoyed me to no end and its there to make it so CB slither wing and CB lokix get screwed over and are setup fother.

TTar: main pokemon of the team, it is also carrying protect cuz i got absolutely pissed off at lokix and slither wing, also to scout what bullshit the opponent is wanting to thow at it. DD ttar is a very nutty sweeper with hazards up and with tera ground instead of tera flying cuz I hate taking sand chip in its own weather that it setup. Crunch + eq is just good coverage and hits everything.

Cloyster: The mon that just can setup once and win games on the spot mon... with hazards up it can succeed in screwing over teams esp with tera ice icicle spear, hydro pump in last slot to bully quagsire to target its crap sp. def and to hit steels... White herb is just so you can take phys def hits such as first impressions and not crumble

Lucario: THe last pokemon on the team, with double priority it helps against other offense teams by being able to nuke them with tera normal e speed. Bullet punch nukes gengar. and CC hits everything bulky that is slower than it. Basic lucario stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)