UnderUsed Teambuilding Competition Week #13 - Scizor

Congratulations to tomatosoup110 for her first teambuilding competition win and thanks for all the submissions! Next up is...

Maushold

What a funny little bunch of mice. I wonder what they do? What they do is they hit you up to 10 times with a Technician-boosted STAB move. This results in an extremely strong attack that requires very bulky resists or immunities in order to properly handle. Maushold has more than just this, though. It's very fast for an offensive Pokemon by UU standards, only naturally being outsped by Barraskewda, Talonflame, Kilowattrel, Noivern, Hawlucha, and Floatzel, making it difficult to revenge KO without priority or the use of a Choice Scarfer. Maushold also has good coverage options to take advantage of Technician in Bite and Bullet Seed, meaning that it isn't stopped by Ghost-types or Quagsire. Maushold also has access to another unique move in Tidy Up, one of the strongest moves ever given to a Pokemon, which functions as a Dragon Dance and Rapid Spin in a single move. Maushold has two main options for which item to hold to boost its attacking potential: it can choose to run a Choice Band to make Population Bomb truly terrifying, or Wide Lens to improve the odds of Population Bomb hitting more times. For as scary as Maushold can be, it definitely has weaknesses too. Maushold's bulk, while not terrible, is not spectacular by any means, which can make it hard to get on the field. Maushold can also be inconsistent, thanks to Population Bomb's dependence on accuracy to hit multiple times. If it opts for Choice Band, it's less likely to hit all 10 times, and if it chooses to hold Wide Lens, the hits will be less powerful, both of which can cause Maushold to come up short on KOs it would otherwise get. Finally, Maushold itself has basically no defensive utility outside of a Ghost immunity thanks to its Normal typing, forcing it to depend on its teammates more than other offensive Pokemon. These are not mice to be messed with, however, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what teams you can make a happy Maushold in!

Teambuilding Restrictions:
  • The team should be built in the Scarlet and Violet UnderUsed format.
  • The team must include Maushold.
Submission Deadline: Friday, January 20, 2022 @ 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, finally, my time has come.

First of all, greetings! I'm Miguling. Still a newbie in the competitive scene, but happy to learn more! Since my focus since the beginning has been using the mice ad nauseam in whatever tier they end up sitting pretty in, I'm glad Maushold is getting a fun teambuilding activity because it's been my life since I started competitive Pokémon learning few weeks back!

Anyways, enough about me, more about Maushold!

Also give me the OK to make a UU Maushold thread, dammit!

Maushold is simply ridiculous. It's a Pokémon that needs quite a fair bit of setup, but once the little mice are in and the situation calls itself for it, it can simply sweep through the entire team by clicking Population Bomb and then laughing maniacally. This move is no joke: With Wide Lens, Technician & Tera-Normal, you've got yourself a 90% chance of landing a 450 BP move which bypasses sashes and demolishes substitutes.

Tidy Up's utility also cannot be overstated. There's a little correction to make in Celebiiii's above post in that it's not as close to a Dragon Dance + Rapid Spin as much as a Dragon Dance + Defog but whatever, I'm being pedantic. I think its greatest strength is that it can remove subs, which can deter Orthworm leads from doing funky stuff on it (though it probably runs Body Press so you probably don't want the mice against it anyways). It isn't just limited to this though: It has Encore (great!) and Thunder Wave (less great), and can run Bite to get rid of Ghosts which would otherwise wall it.

Population Bomb's offense power is so astounding that running coverage on Maushold is simply useless. Even on Rock and Steel resists, running moves such as Trailblaze or Low Kick simply won't do as much damage as simply clicking the mouse nuke. As a result, your most successful sets will usually be comprised of Pop. Bomb, Bite, Tidy Up and some other support move of your choice.

Now that's not to say the mice aren't without their weaknesses. Powerful Priority users such as Lokix, Slither Wing, Bisharp and Lucario can revenge kill the mice, which is an easy feat due to their pathetic bulk. Their over-reliance on a multi-hit moves means that they get hard-countered by any user of Rocky Helmet. As a result, sending common users in Hippowdon, Alomomola, Tyranitar, etc. is also a very effective way of dispatching the mice as well. And while the mice are fast, rain drops faster - the very popular rain core of Pelipper + Floatzel/Barraskewda will outspeed and K.O. Maushold immediately as well, even after one Tidy Up. Both also have the ability to run Aqua Jet if the mice are too fast to handle.

So now, the goal is to build a team that tries to cover as many of Maushold's weaknesses as possible!

We are going to beat you to death (Maushold)
tumblr_fdd4da8012c56e891fd36dd43b512579_680392cd_1280.png

Maushold-Four @ Wide Lens
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Population Bomb
- Protect
- Bite
- Tidy Up

As mentioned in the preamble, your most effective set will be Pop. Bomb, Bite, Tidy Up and some support move. I've had most success for most of my OU and UU enterprises using Encore as the support fourth slot to deter setup sweepers from doing anything and allow the mice to get one Tidy Up in, but nowadays Encore finds itself in a teammate of Maushold, Tinkaton, who will get her time to shine later on.

Maximum Speed investment + a Jolly nature allows Maushold to outspeed pokémon such as Brambleghast, Iron Jugulis, Sandy Shocks, Froslass & Gengar, as well as Speed tie with +Spd Scream Tail. This ensures, among other things, that Brambleghast does not Strength Sap it nor can Scream Tail safely Thunder Wave it due to forcing a coin flip on who goes first. Maximum Atk IVs + Tera Normal ensures Population Bomb hits as hard as possible, and helps Bite removing ghosts that would otherwise wall it. Wide Lens is the mandatory item for this composition, as it is the enabler for Population Bomb to be so consistently powerful.

The choice of protect serves one and only one purpose: to block First Impression. Because Maushold naturally outspeeds Lokix and Slither Wing, the two best users of it, blocking their priority move instantly causes them to become death fodder for the mice since they have nothing else to fight against it aside from maybe an emergency defensive Tera (but why would you do this???)

"I'm not Pikachu. I'm cuter than Pikachu, in fact." (Mimikyu)
mimikyu.gif

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Wood Hammer

Mimikyu comes in very handy for checking Hawlucha, who otherwise would outspeed and K.O. Maushold with Close Combat even on Tidy Up roids thanks to Unburden. Switching in on a CC predict, clicking Play Rough and following up with Shadow Sneak K.O.s the bird. Beyond that, it is simply a pretty good setup sweeper who can usually get a swords dance in and then start mashing away with Shadow Sneak or Play Rough, if it outspeeds.

Maximum Atk IVs with an Adamant Nature and a Life Orb ensures Mimikyu hits as hard as possible on all its moves. The presence of Wood Hammer may be a little odd, but I found it quite effective to emergency check rain spam if Gastrodon, fellow teammate, fainted previously.

"We have Hydreigon at home" the Hydreigon at home:
0993Iron_Jugulis.png

Iron Jugulis @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Air Slash/Hurricane
- Dark Pulse

Iron Jugulis takes up its older sibling Hydreigon's place, who got booted to UUBL, as a wallbreaker who helps softening up or removing opposing offense thanks to powerful Special attack, interesting coverage options and the use of Quark Drive. Air Slash and Dark Pulse are its preferred stabs, though one may use Hurricane if they want to turn the opponent's rain against them or they trust their Accuracy rolls.

Maximum Spd investment with a Timid Nature enables Booster Energy to favor Iron Jugulis' speed over its Special Attack, which allows it to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame immediately. Flamethrower allows it to predict a Tinkaton switch in and hope for a burn, while Earth Power exists to remove Electric types, and surprise Tyranitar with Tera-Ground to 2HKO it in Sand, though the tera itself's getting less and less clicked nowadays. (Plus you'd rather keep it for Maushold *wink wonk*)

When the Route 1 Bug Shitmon isn't a shitmon (Lokix)
Lokix

Lokix @ Choice Band
Ability: Tinted Lens
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Axe Kick
- First Impression
- Throat Chop
- U-turn

The revenge killer supremo. It has two jobs: Either scare the bejeebers out of the opponent with priority STAB First Impression, or, if it's slower, click U-Turn because the opponent's probably gonna switch to a resist anyways so you can keep the momentum up. There's not much to say about Lokix's choices since they are all straightforward and are either STAB or coverage. Plus, the bug's cool :)

WooOoaAaoaoOO *gross slurping noises* (Gastrodon)
gastrodon-east.gif

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Chilling Water
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Yawn

The supremo stop to Rain Spam and the defensive backbone of the team. It noms Floatzel's Wave Crash and Barraskewda's Liquidation, clicks Yawn and forces them out. Otherwise, it clicks Chilling Water six trillion times to lower foe's Atk and patch up its own uninvested Defense, and Ice Beam is here to predict Grass types switch-ins and make them go brrr.

Gastrodon's usefulness in UU is really hard-carried by how prevalent Rain Spam is in the tier right now. You could also use Water Absorb Quag I guess, but I find Gastro to be less passive thanks to Storm Drain upping its Sp. Atk to acceptable levels, and Chilling Water hitting surprisingly decently under rain.

EDIT: 212 HP IVs is also a lefties number, put that on tink but not on Gastro lol. Also, East Gastro is cooler because blue and green is cool. :)

Stop! hammer time. (Tinkaton)
0959Tinkaton.png

Tinkaton (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 228 HP / 28 Def / 252 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Gigaton Hammer
- Encore

And finally, Tinkaton is the dedicated lead of the team, setting up rocks and using her incredible utility in Knock Off and Encore to clean the way further for Maushold. Despite Maushold clearing up opponent rocks with Tidy Up, it is still a great asset to have if Maushold doesn't have the time to Tidy Up and has to click Bomb right away; chip damage is still chip damage and can mean a lot in a matchup.

Because common Rocky Helmet users in Tyranitar & Hippowdon can and will switch in on Tinkaton to threaten her with an Earthquake, Knock Off uses these predictions to smack it away and remove perhaps one of the most effective ways to deal with the mice. Encore, meanwhile, deters setup sweepers from doing anything funky, while Gigaton Hammer is just the funi big hammer move so she isn't also completely passive either.

The IVs are engineered to make Tinkaton as fast and as bulky as possible on an utility-centered moveset; 228 HP brings her stat to 368, which is a Lefties number; the rest is invested in Spd and the poorer of her two Defense stats to perhaps survive something.

----

And that's it for the mousie team! Thanks for reading and hope you've enjoyed the thought process! Also many, MANY thanks to the pia community for helping me think a little more about my team!

Ze paste

Last edited:

warzoid

I have several gelatinous friends
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Maushold-Four @ Wide Lens
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Population Bomb
- Tidy Up
- Beat Up
- U-turn

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Tera Blast

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 16 SpD / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover

Hariyama @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 16 HP / 16 Atk / 224 Def / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Bulk Up

Salamence @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 12 HP / 48 Def / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Roost
Pretty standard Maus set. Beat Up can better or worse than Bite depending on how many teammates you have left. Decided to pair the mice with Magnezone to trap steels like Orthworm that can wall Maushold. Bulky DD Tyranitar is another sweeper that appreciates Magnet Pull support, allowing it to run Stone Edge + Crunch without worrying about Tinkaton. Needed a rocker and a way to not lose to Floatzel, so Gastrodon fit the bill. Next, I wanted a Knock Off user to get rid of Rocky Helmets for Maushold. Opted for Bulk Up Hariyama, which checks opposing Tyranitar and shrugs off status with Guts. Finally, special Salamence rounds out the team as a ground immunity and Fighting-type check.

:sv/maushold: :sv/sandy shocks: :sv/squawkabilly: :sv/spidops: :sv/bronzong: :sv/donphan:

Have you ever put Maushold on a team and then became struck with a fear of the uncertain? A fear which can only be quelled by some strong universal force to reassure you that you're not gonna fly out of your chair at any moment? Well do I have the team for you! Featuring the popular and omniscient law of physics known as gravity, your Maushold will hit population bomb all 10 times, your Squawkabilly will land all their hustle boosted moves, and your Spidops will be there! Worried about other Mausholds wrecking you? Shut up and use your government mandated rocky helmet Bronzong! Worried about the team being bad? ME TOO!!

:Maushold: :Polteageist: :Klefki: :Espeon: :Haxorus: :Bisharp:

I usually don't post teams here but I just so happened to have a leftover team from early January that I reworked and tested until I found it satisfactory. This is a pretty typical hyper offense team which has Bisharp and Haxorus as the two main breakers who set up for the cleanup crew consisting of Maushold and Polteageist. The set itself is pretty typical aside from Tera Fighting + Low kick, which actually lets you beat Orthworm in the 1v1 while also living Orthworm Body Press behind screens ---> Slither Wing First Impression after screens end.

The rest of the team is built around supporting Maushold as previously stated, hence why there's a much bigger focus on Physical Offense instead of a 50/50 split. The idea is for Haxorus and Bisharp to beat down the opposing Physical Walls until they eventually get knocked out so that Maushold can clean up lategame. That's also the reasoning for why these 2 screens setters in particular were chosen, since Klefki can give Maushold free entry and Spikes support while Espeon can prevent chip damage from Hazards and create free switchin opportunities with Yawn.

https://pokepast.es/50995f14cb7e0c5f

:sv/dudunsparce: :sv/indeedee: :sv/polteageist: :sv/hawlucha: :sv/espeon: :sv/maushold-four:

maus + terrain + screens is broken, you lose your only real weaknesses in frailty and prio

the real focus here is kinda dudunsparce who becomes kind of unkillable behind screens + psyseed + coil boosts and threatens out hippo with a soon 100% accurate atail and hippo is the best and most common phazer in the tier

most of the teammates here abuse quag (best check to this) rly hard

esp is nice for poltea teams to bounce away hazards (and ig a stronger psychic, uninvested isn't doing too much tho)

besides that this is kind of a basic psyterrain team

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/55f41702aee4c030

1674236693597.png1674236776433.png1674236822824.png1674236845387.png1674236878689.png1674236948450.png

Maushold is the main member of the team, with hazard stack and volt turn u can easily wear a team over the course of a game and make it so they succum to hazards or from the pressure so maushold can go to town. Talon, gastrodon, rotom-c form the FWG core which is very helpful defensively, with the benefit of status u can easily force progress on pokemon that can take maushold attacks such as tinkaton, bisharp, forre, wo chien, and more. Gastrodon's job is to pressure the opponent with sludge bomb poisons and rocks, with its ability to force a lot of progress it can make it so helmet users such as hippo, alo, quag, and flame body talon succum to status and damage over time from it. Slither wing is the main breaker, with hazards it can easily force a crap ton of progress against any opponent esp with orthworm providing spikes from the back. Orthworm provides extra hazards and makes it so that the annoying quagsire is no more as it can sit on it all day while setting up spikes

Attachments

Haus of Maus Voltturn
:sv/maushold: :sv/talonflame: :sv/rotom-mow: :sv/lucario: :sv/gastrodon: :sv/tinkaton:
Maushold + SD Talonflame Voltturn Offense
It's Our Haus Now.

In my experience, Maushold will either click Population Bomb or U-turn, 2hkoing what's in front of it or bringing in something that can. Therefore, i made Voltturn offense team centered around constantly pressuring the opponent with fast breakers and priority.

Rotom puts the "volt" in Voltturn and works as speed control. Gastro checks rain and Talonflame while also setting rocks. Tinkaton girlbosses her way into checking Noivern, and will switch into maushold once. Originally, this team had specs Noivern over Talonflame, until i realized that it wsas incredibly weak to Slither Wing. Utility Talonflame is too passive for a team such as this, so i had to compromise. SD talonflame pleasantly surprised me, as it keeps offensive pressure and checks a lot of pokemon offensively. It retains a lot of the utility that Normal Talon has via its typing and Flame Body. Lucario is oppressive as always; a fantastic breaker and revenge killer with Extreme Speed that appreciates its teammates bringing it in.

Last edited:
:sv/maushold: :sv/Wo-Chien: :sv/sandy shocks: :sv/talonflame: :sv/Alomomola: :sv/tinkaton:

First time posting my team with an explanation on here, but due to time constraints I will try to brief with a quick summary about the team.

The general concept was built off of something that Outbackrabbit and I worked on originally using Sandaconda. I realized at some point that not only was it too passive, but also it didn't punish talonflame clicking brave bird/wilo on maushold as much as I wanted it to. Thus, the sandy shocks and alomomola came to cover uturn with rocky helmet and wilo/bravebird with alomomola plus the offensive sandy shocks. The tera fire on the maushold was recommended to me in order to punish talon flame while not risking burn and allowing for it to live first impression over what outbackrabbit originally had as tera rock with tera blast. Beyond it all though the concept of combating the multitude of rocky helmet users that plague maushold's daily population activities was where I went to refocus on this team. It's solid with the fire water grass core and has a tinkaton and naturally hazard stack due to the easy of reducing heavy duty boots.

Huge shoutout, obviously, to Outbackrabbit for even building with me in the first place. I'm hoping maybe by posting more here I can gain credibility to build with others.

The team

Danny

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ZU Circuit Champion
MF MAUS
:sv/hippowdon: :sv/slowking: :sv/gengar: :sv/salamence: :sv/maushold-four: :sv/magnezone:

I saw that yall were doing a teambuilding competition and wanted to throw my hat in to the mix. I love maushold and used it during the kickoff tour, however this time I wanted to take a more balanced approach to it rather than balls to the wall offense. It is very solid in the current meta, however I fear that as the tier develops more ppl will start slapping rocky helmets onto more things, making it a worse mon to use.

Hippo+slowking make up a great defensive core that can blank lots of common things in the meta. Whirlwind last on hippo can easily be stone edge or ice fang if you feel like you are having issues with talonflame or salamence respectively. Slowking gives the team the slow pivot that all teams really appreciate, along with adding pressure onto opposing teams that try and pivot around the breakers in the last four slots. Gengar is the #1 mon in the tier right now so it was an easy slap onto the team. Scarf gives the team a revenge kill option for faster set up threats. Salamence rounds out the defensive core while still being threatening in its own right. I chose the protect maushold so I can stomach first impressions and scout out moves that opps might go for. To round off the team and also help maushold eventually sweep I added an AV magnezone. This set is nice as it gives me a soft check to some of the special attackers in the tier, while also invalidating orthworm and crippling tinkaton.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)