Project UnderUsed Teambuilding Competition v2 - Week 63: Reuniclus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats to Slip and thanks for the submissions, everyone! I was blown away by the number we got - let's keep it up! Next up, we have...

Rhyperior

Rhyperior is a Pokemon that has been somewhat forgotten lately, but has some excellent, unique traits that still make it a worthwhile pick on some teams. For one, it brings a sturdy Flying resistance to teams, a trait often absent on many current teams that Pokemon like Togekiss are all too happy to exploit. Rhyperior also provides an Electric immunity and a Stealth Rock setter, while maintaining a great offensve presence with excellent STAB options and coverage like Heat Crash and Megahorn to threaten an additional range of types. Unfortunately for Rhyperior, it also has some crippling weaknesses. Double weaknesses to Grass and Water do it no favours, and notably prevent it from being a reliable answer to Thundurus-Therian, since it commonly carries Grass Knot to hit Hippowdon. Rhyperior also lacks a recovery move, causing it to be worn down when switching in and out of battle throughout a game. Finally, Rhyperior has stiff competition in Ground-types from Pokemon like Hippowdon, Swampert, and Nidoqueen, forcing any Rhyperior user to really consider if it is the best choice for their team. I'm looking forward to what teams you come up with for it!

Teambuilding Restrictions:
  • The team should be built in the Sword and Shield UnderUsed format.
  • The team must include Rhyperior.
Submission Deadline:
  • Sunday, July 31, 2022 @ 11:59 PM EST (GMT-4).

Rhyperior + Tapu Bulu

:Rhyperior::Tapu-Bulu::Moltres::Primarina::Celesteela::Hydreigon:
https://pokepast.es/587d42db9d8d97d3

Rhyperior is fat and powerful, but is slow and lacks recovery. Giving Rhyperior protect and pairing It with grassy terrain helps solve the recovery issue. I went with Sub-Toxic on Bulu to go for a Toxic-Protect-Substitute style of gameplan. Moltres provides Defog support, a second toxic user, and defensive synergy by checking grass types. Sub-CM Primarina pairs well with toxic and grassy terrain, and is a less prepared for threat lately. Celesteela adds leech seed to the mix, and checks stuff like Mamoswine. Lastly, Scarf Hydreigon for speed control and to sweep once the opposing team has been whittled down. Rhyperior can basically check anything not grass or water in a pinch, letting the rest of the team get away with being a bit more passive, and threats like Specs Primarina/Hydreigon are much less threatening when so many Pokémon can scout.

https://pokepast.es/3dc00dbd834c1900

:rhyperior: :cobalion: :slowking: :noivern: :thundurus-therian: :amoonguss:

rhyperior is the rocker, it helps against the sub par salamence matchup and against moltres. Rhyperior is here to lure in amoonguss and hit it hard with a heat crash which helps cobalion get a late game sweep without it worrying about being spored. Cobalion is here with a SD set that can take advantage of rhyperior using rocks and keeping them up against every setter helps coba get some ko's such as against rotom-w, a better role against slowking, needing less chip on celesteela to ohko it at +2, etc. Slowking is smth that helps the team against keldeo and with amoonguss keldeo shouldn't exactly bypass them. Amoonguss also helps with rhyperior water and grass weakness and sponges them with ease while appreciating the free turns in doing so. Thundy-t creates momentum for the team by volt switching and bringing in rhyperior, or cobalion to get momentum, it uses defog as no other user on the team is capable of doing so and it has good matchups into spikes skarm. Noivern is here for speed control

Last edited:

Slip

dancing to alarm bells
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
https://pokepast.es/945602bca811e0a9
:excadrill: :rhyperior: :celesteela: :azelf: :keldeo: :salamence:

First off I'd like to say what the hell is wrong with all of you. I appreciate the support and love you all but I shouldn't have won last week that teams was just fun trash LOL. But I'm glad you all liked it so I'm very thankful for your votes.

This is what I call the ladder special. Offensive Rhyperior is heavy slept on as it doesn't even need the weakness policy to do massive damage to open up opponents to the rest of the team. DD Mence is broken rn for HO and everything else takes heavy advantage of what Rhyperior weakens. Even in bad mu's Rhyperior is excellent at things like taking spore and wasting turns. This sounds useless but for offensive teams that hates sleep, its nice to have something so bulky yet offensive that can accomplish this task. I honestly think if you play your cards right this could be one of the top HO ideas that are out rn. I will add a replay for reference after this weekend, because I don't want to ruin someone's reqs run, but for now I hope you all enjoy!

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
:ss/Rhyperior: :ss/Skarmory: :ss/Dhelmise: :ss/Azelf: :ss/Primarina: :ss/Rotom-Heat:

ummm built this in like 5 minutes!!!

My brain immediately went to Spikes b/c Rhyperior is infamously great at threatening common removal options in Salamence, Mandibuzz, Moltres, and Rotom-Heat (former two don't like running it but they're both blanked by it anyways). Skarmory was the obvious choice for Spikes; also checks Scizor and appreciates Rhyperior being able to handle Celesteela pretty well, as well as threatening the aforementioned forms of hazard removal. Dhelmise gives me removal without removing my own hazards, counterplay vs bulky Water-types like Rotom-Wash, Keldeo, Primarina, etc, and similarly appreciates Rhyperior threatening Flying-types, mainly Mandibuzz and Salamence. Azelf w/ Knock makes it much easier to abuse Mandibuzz and Chansey, and also gives me indirect counterplay to SD Cobalion, which has the potential to walk all over this build otherwise. Primarina is just the standard glue for this team; checks Hydreigon, makes it even harder for hazard removal to safely click Rapid Spin/Defog with this in the back, and synergizes with Heat Crash Rhyperior, in that Rhyperior baits Grass-types, which makes Primarina much more potent defensively. Rotom was honestly something I kinda slapped on here. Nonetheless, I think it's still good here for its ability to clean vs teams that have Swampert/Hydreigon/Nihilego weakened, as well as being another Scizor answer, which is never bad to have.

Rhyperior + CM Necrozma Balance

:ss/rhyperior: :ss/amoonguss: :ss/scizor: :ss/rotom-wash: :ss/primarina: :ss/necrozma:
When I built this team, my thought was to really take advantage of what Rhyperior uniquely brings to a team over other Ground-type Stealth Rock users. The main advantages I came up with were excellent MUs vs. Togekiss & Rotom-Heat and a great Fire resistance, and I would later discover that Rhyperior is great into Autotomize Celesteela as well. Obviously the double weaknesses to Water and Grass needed covering, so I chose Amoonguss as Rhyperior's first partner. Amoonguss is great at pivoting into these attacks for Rhyperior and can take on CM Primarina with Seed Bomb. I then wanted another Pokemon that could really benefit from Rhyperior taking on Fire-types, so I chose 3 Attacks + Roost Scizor. This gives the team a Knock Off user, and allows Scizor to bring Rhyperior into the Fire-types that would threaten it so that Rhyperior can set up Stealth Rocks or threaten the opposing team. I then looked at speed control and decided Choice Scarf Rotom-Wash was probably going to be the best fit here, as I also planned on adding Primarina to help deal with Conkeldurr and Hydreigon and I wanted my speed control to not be deathly afraid of Thundurus-Therian. Calm Mind Primarina provides a win condition for the team and a secondary Keldeo answer, as well as a much-needed sponge to Hydreigon to support the final member of the team, Calm Mind Necrozma. Necrozma is notable as a Calm Mind user for having a decent Speed tier, good coverage between Photon Geyser and Heat Wave, recovery with Moonlight, and the ability to break through special walls thanks to Photon Geyser's category-changing properties. Necrozma also provides another Azelf check and win condition.

Insou

formerly LoveStallLiveLife
:Keldeo: :Excadrill: :Rhyperior: :Tangrowth: :Mandibuzz: :Moltres:

CB Rhyperior forms a strong offensive core with cm Keldeo as it allows you to deal with defensive cores in the metagame. Moltres is your offensive pivot, as well as an additional scizor answer. Mandibuzz is the defensive pivot as well as the hazard controller which frees up a slot for toxic on excadrill to put opposing common hazard setters on a timer such as hippowdon. Tangrowth forms a great defensive core with tangrowth as it allows you to deal with common breakers such as salamence, prim, and scizor.

Luirromen

:]
is a Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Dragon Tail Rhyperior Hazard Stacks
:rhyperior: :hydreigon: :keldeo: :dhelmise: :skarmory: :moltres:
(Click on the sprites for importable)

Hello. I got some inspiration for this team after playing BW Cup and looking how good hazard stacks +phazing moves are there, so I came with the idea of try something similar here. What does Rhyperior offers to a team that Hippo doesnt? Well if you are not running CB then you want it beacuse of the amazing Flying resist it offers to you, that allows it to check Togekiss, Autotomize Celesteela and Moltres with ease. Drop Heat Crash sucks but that is why I paired it with teammates that can deal with Steels and Grasses. Hydreigon provides speed control and abuses spikes decently well, no need for that much explanation, since this team handles pretty well with Rhyperior Autoto Celes I went with a more safe coverage move on Flamethrower > Fire Blast. Specs Keldeo is an amazing Spikes abuser and offensive Steel type check, I preffered Icy Wind > Air Slash here to give the less posible chances to a Defog Salamence to come in and remove hazards. Dhelmise is a niche slot that provides a water resist, Knock Off support, better Thundurus check (since no ground types on this tier can safely defensively check it bar the rare defensive Flygon) and with the particularity of also being a good Spin Blocker. Skarmory is the spiker and does Skarm stuff, abosrb Knock Off, wall every single Physical sweeper etc. Moltres formes a water fire grass for the team and offensive check to Steel and Grass types, since Im not running Ghost/Steel moves on Dhelmise Hatterene can become a problem, so Mystical fire Moltres gets the job vs it, I preffered to run both stabs rather than Toxic but you can run Toxic > U turn or Hurri if you want. I made this team kinda fast so most spreads are standar. Hope you like it :]​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)