Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sandstorm
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder

Cool Jirachi set for use on weatherless teams w/ sand rush excadrill. Now slapping exca on your team is all well and good when your opponent has a disgusting fetish for sand, but what about opposing weather teams. Tornadus/Starmie/Keldeo are stupid good under rain and Cresselia is unkillable in sun, so having sandstorm on Rachi is an inspired choice. Not only does it neutralise the opponents gameplan, but it also is an enabler for sexcadrill to get its sex on. Smooth rock gives you ample turns to run amok and pull off a sweep. At team preview, your opponent will look at your team and decide turn 0 that he has total command on weather - which may lure them into throwing away politoed and ninetales as sacks, only for rachi to whip that sand up later on. I opted for the Thunder/HP fire combo here as I wanted to lure Skarmory and Ferrothorn, which would free up my offensive gods to be effective.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-356525
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-357207

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
things about reflect chansey
This is also late but in general response to this whole conversation about what attack to use on reflect chansey:

The main reason why stoss is the go-to move on reflect chansey nowadays is the pp, flat out. It's all about the concept of permanent vs negligible damage and looking over the replays of the last spl should give you a good picture on what I mean by that. The problem with a reflect ice beam chansey is that ice beam pp is actually pretty low and once you reveal it the counterplay to the reflect chansey is pretty easy: have 2 paralyzed mons with high special. Good thing that everyone and their mom runs para leads right now and people don't actually engage in freeze wars all too much. A paralyzed reflect chansey will pretty much always see any combination of opposing chansey, zam and starmie. What do all of those have in common? They take negligible damage. As it turns out all the physical beaters in this game take permanent damage, making them fairly unviable to come in on the chansey with a reflect up. Lax will actually have to blow up and tauros will need to crit. Pivoting around and spreading out the damage that chansey can actually do is a very low-risk way of answering it in the long run, and that is where stoss comes in so handy. The chansey vs chansey matchup is just not going to show any results other than trading para or fishing for a freeze, but the 2 other most prominent things that take negligible damage are actually hit the best by stoss from a reflect chansey. Using stoss on your reflect chansey is basically just conceding the fact that it is not going to get off many hits that deal permanent damage. I did not crunch the numbers on it but as someone who has played reflect chans quite a lot I'd estimate that at least 75% of all hits you get out in a game with your chansey target something that takes negligible damage.

Especially in this spl we had some fetishists who run a setup of zam lead and reflect chansey in almost all of their games. And you can't blame them or anything because it is arguably the most consistent setup and has proven to be in tournament play. Many games therefor devolve into a stalemate sort of thing with 2 parad chanseys and 2 parad zams/starmies creating switch patterns to get your physical beater in. As soon as you go into such a stalemate sort of situation I can guarantee you that a reflect chansey with IB will be forced out without spreading any permanent damage. The thing is that most of the instances where IB is the better move on chansey are either located in the endgame (when you last appears like zap/rhydon, because concealing information is a very good heuristic to follow) or are undesirable from the standpoint of the non-chansey user, because they are usually situations that end in favor of the chansey. If the reflect is up already eggy will need drops to take anything to chans or need a timely full para followed by a boom to take it down. In that process he is taking permanent damage. Same goes with lax but that matchup is a bit less radical due to the huge hp of lax, meaning there are more windows to boom and the fact that restlax is in fact very well positioned right now, because of the unique role of being a physical beater that can somewhat pull off taking negligible damage.

All of this follows several premises, firstly you plan on paralyzing the opposing chansey and secondly you plan on utilizing your chansey as early in the game as possible, because as it turns out reflect chansey is one of the most effective twavers in the game, since it creates stalemates that force switches. In a lategame scenario I am sure nobody will argue that ice beam is the better move. In a vacuum ice beam hits more things and has a useful secondary effect. In reality reflect chansey will see most of its usage early on and will barely ever even face the things it would want to hit with ice beam. The increased presence of stalemate sort of games with 2 parad special fatties makes the pp a very relevant aspect to it too, preventing the counterplay with the least risk - stalling.

Oh and trashtalking mr.e is actually valid when he thinks he is dropping some truth bombs on us unruly plebs but in reality the last chansey he wielded got paralyzed by opposing tauros, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

here are some things i've used in spl:

1521578927617.png

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Toxic
- Protect

piloted this week 1 vs luck, and it's a pretty solid set imo. the purpose of it is to really dismantle a lot of common sand teams that are reliant upon latios+bulky water to check keldeo. common swaps like jellicent and slowking are neutered, something that cannot be accomplished without spikes and an SE hidden power. with toxtect, you are given way more flexibility to punish choiced pokes as well. latios doubles, scarf lando mindgames, etc. are all put in your favor instead. definitely worth a shout on a lot more teams; i only happened to use it once.

1521578939564.png

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes
- Megahorn
- Endeavor

head honcho vs mcm in a game that didn't matter that much, albeit i still wanted to win. scolipede's a strong lead as it has access to both forms of spikes, is fast, and is hard to punish for a lot of squads. you can get up two hazards early typically and procure a momentum-heavy advantage with the right composition. i typically run it alongside jellicent for my spinblocker, but there are definitely other approaches.

1521578953837.png

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 20 SpA / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Ice Beam

swept vs jacob on a kinda peculiar mag sun team as my win con. if you have a way to eliminate steels and tyranitar, cm cress can solo a lot of teams with a ridiculous strong calm mind set. i remember philip#s used to use subcm, and that's what inspired my set for that week. i used cresselia as my catch-all check to myriad threats like reuniclus, dragons, etc., being able to actually break through a lot of typical stops with calm mind and psyshock.

1521578973274.png

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Slack Off

i utilized dragon tail slowking twice, and this set with mag vs bkc in playoffs. since subcm keldeo isn't really a set anymore, psyshock is more of a filler than a necessity which opens the doors to a lot of options. i opted for dragon tail/twave since it threatens most pokemon and punishes swaps with spikes, but there are other ways to approach this. future sight, yawn, toxic, etc are all viable options too. what underscores this set, though, is the efficacy of dragon tail and how it should see more use than it does already.

1521578989604.png

Breloom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Superpower
- Bullet Seed
- Stone Edge

not really unheard of either, but it helped me easily secure a win vs elodin. breloom is a pretty unexpected scarfer, and i used it alongside tornadus for an amoonguss absorb. i liked it since it provided ferrothorn pressure and an unexpected lure to threats like the genies, something a lot of pokes can't do.

1521579002375.png

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

i used this on more of a gimmicky vaporeon team vs bkc the first time we played, and it's a pretty solid pick in the meta rn. notwithstanding excadrill's potency already, scarf sr is a way to give any team a solid matchup against sun teams since xatu can't block it. i don't think sr+spin is worthwhile on any non-choice sets, especially since all the best sr'rs are ground-type, so scarf is the best way to fit it on and have a decent poke in the back.

1521579012065.png

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Magic Coat
- Recover

i flubbed w this dude vs posho. i didn't have spikes and already had hypnosis, so dragon tail felt pretty useless. i needed ice beam for dragons, so i was scouring for a cool last move to use and magic coat fit the bill. instead of being spiked up against by ferro/skarm, you force them into attacking and you gain momentum. also pretty cool vs bulkytar, amoonguss, and a few other pokes that throw non-attacking at a seemingly hopeless milotic. as a mon in general, i do like milotic as a bulky water since it fits a chomp/dnite/landt/ttar check on a lot of sand teams that would struggle against it otherwise if it had some other kind of mon in the slot.

1521579024788.png

Alakazam @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

i made use of this set last spl, not this one, but it's still criminally underused. arii used this set vs me, and substitute is the best way to go about it imo. you force so many swaps with zam that it's so easy to just fire off moves that punish your opponents swaps while fast and behind a sub. you usually can trade 2 for 1 at the very least if you play well with it. there is no better spikes abuser in the tier than this set, so you should watch out for it.

Last edited:

UD

BeerLover
Now that my SPL run is over, I want to share some of the more interesting sets I used this season.

CominOuttaMyCage (Venusaur) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 68 Def / 252 SpA / 56 SpD / 132 Spe
Timid Nature
- Razor Leaf
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Offensive Venusaur:

This set functions as a nice lead, scoring an early Sleep against the three most common opposing leads - Metagross / Tar / Zapdos (though watch out for Lum with the first two and prediction is sort of required for the latter). Max SpA allows it to hit Metagross and Skarmory decently hard, and really chunk Tar and opposing Water Mons with your STAB move. HP investment is actually counter productive if using Giga Drain, which is a viable alternative in that moveslot. Leech Seed allows Venu to function as a nice general annoyer and temporary check to Electric Mons and Suicune. This set allows you to use Venusaur without Magneton (think of how defensive Celebi almost requires a Mag pairing; ditto defensive Venusaur). I think right now this set is Venusaur's best niche in the metagame.

I'm Mr. Brightside (Moltres) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roar
- Will-O-Wisp

Roar Moltres:

Okay, this one doesn't require much explanation. The only "unusual" thing about this moveset is the presence of Roar on it. I tested with Moltres a ton and ultimately came away feeling like Roar was by far the best option in that 4th moveslot. Substitute and Agility were too unrewarding in the aggregate; usually the best case scenario with either move was forcing a Burn via 75% accurate WoW on an opposing Aero or Mence. The former still OHKOs you while Burned while the latter doesn't always care or was being used as a pivot anyway. Not really much else to say I guess, just try out Roar in the last slot - it's good even on Spikes less teams (free scouting!).

PutABagOnMyHead (Gengar) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 44 Def / 12 SpA / 100 SpD / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Punch
- Giga Drain
- Explosion
- Will-O-Wisp

SpDef Gengar:

Okay, I am officially posting this set finally. A lot of what we do as Mons players is try to innovate and come up with the latest and greatest creation that will revolutionize our respective metagames as we know it. We are territorial of our sets for this very reason. Everybody wants to be the guy who created SkarmBliss, or CroCune (I am aware of the irony that this set actually does have a known creator), or BoahTar. It can never be this way, of course, since it's very nearly impossible to actually trace an idea back to its originator. For all I know, this spread existed in 2005 and was used by some obscure German player. Regardless, I am going to claim this set as "my own" until someone else (probably M Dragon xD just kidding bro) does.

I came up with the idea for this set in early Summer 2016, when Forry + Pursuit Tar, or just Pursuit Tar period, were still really popular. That particular combination always troubled standard BeerLover type builds, but this Gengar spread all but solved the matchup.

This is the spread that survives 252+ SpA Tyranitar Crunch (or Pursuit while switching) AFTER Sandstorm hits. Now before you check the calc. and yell at me for lying to you - yes I realize that the maximum damage roll will kill you with Sandstorm. I've been cheating on my EVs for almost two years now and never once been OHKO'd by Crunch. If you want to really guarantee it, then add 12 EVs to SpDef. I like my spread as is because every single EV point tends to show its value over the course of a game. I still want the DD Mence bulk since Explosion has good odds to kill a bulkless DD Mence with the Sand, plus it helps with random things like Snorlax Shadow Ball etc. That touch of SpA is probably meaningless ultimately, but your goal is to eventually 1v1 the opposing Pursuit Tar, and a few points of SpA coupled with the Giga Drain recovery helps quite a bit (also you want to hurt Claydol). Lastly, the Speed is to outspeed 252+ Moltres, plus is generally solid creep on opposing plus-natured base 100s.

The set can definitely be altered a bit based on team need. I always liked Explosion because this was almost always paired with an Offensive Starmie when I used it. But you can drop Boom for a coverage move, Taunt, or something else cool that I don't even know about. If you decide you don't care about the Def, or the Speed creep, or the 8 Att EVs, then you could dump everything leftover into SpA and give it another coverage move and hit pretty hard with it.

I cannot sleep (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 80 SpA / 4 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Fire Punch

Mono Fire Jirachi:

I am reposting this set because I earned a sweep with it during SPL, and I truly believe it is viable. It really sucks fishing for Burns so hard in the early game, but if you play super patiently, almost pretending it was an AstaRachi and just spamming Wish / Fire Punch early on, then you can keep yourself alive and heal your teammates in the process. Sometimes the game presents an opportunity to sweep in the form of a Burn on the opposing Tar. That's when you take advantage of the opening and boost away. I really recommend trying this out at least once before you dismiss it entirely.

Now we're starting to get to the really good stuff...

You shut me down (Tyranitar) (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 40 Atk / 248 SpA / 220 Spe
Rash Nature
- Brick Break
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

"MixTar":

I think this is one of my better ideas ever. As per usual, this set originated from a conversation between myself, BKC , and Astamatitos . I started off with wondering if the MixMence set but on Tyranitar was viable at all. Dragon Claw was quickly replaced with Ice Beam since there was no STAB involved and Tyranitar lures Flygon like a boss, whereas Mence does not (not that that was the point of MixMence anyway, but the point remains). I wanted this beast to be super fast since why not, fuck the bulk when you're using a set like this anyway. I believe this set has enough creep for -Speed Jirachi, AKA AstaRachi. BKC suggested Lum Berry as an item and I think it's a genius touch. You've already forgone bulk anyway, so Leftovers aren't likely to make an impact, and Lum Berry actually turns your set into a viable Skarmory switch in, which is one of the greatest attributes any Mon in ADV can have. I've considered MiracleSeed or Charcoal just to really bone Swampert and Skarmory, respectively, but... nah just stick with Lum.

Don't kill my vibe (Metagross) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 12 Def / 36 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Meteor Mash

Protect Offensive Metagross:

Another seemingly standard set that is actually rather unique. I have never been super satisfied with the fourth move options on standard physical Metagross. HP Grass is great but only useful if there's a Swampert, plus you need to make some decisions with your EV spread. HP Fire is terrible unless you go 252+ SpA which is an entirely different set. Toxic is good but requires prediction and it can miss. Rock Slide is honestly terrible too (in my opinion). It's only for Zapdos and Gyarados, it can miss, it doesn't necessarily do that much damage, just meh. I prefer Double Edge for just a good generic neutral coverage move on Zapdos / Swampert / Celebi type defensive cores. Anyway, Metagross has a gigantic movepool, so naturally I decided on the most accessible move in the game! With Protect, you can recover 1/8 your HP on any given turn. It helps a ton especially if you're getting ready to Boom but you're still in range of the opposing Zapdos or Starmie. Also I have triple Protected before from like 60% to surviving the Dugtrio's EQ. It's just a great way to help your longevity and thus reduce opposing Skarmory's effectiveness. I highly recommend giving this set a try.

Make it stop (Weezing) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 12 Atk / 156 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Explosion

Offensive Weezing:

The infamous Thunder Weezing. Weezing was always a Mon I had heard good things about, but I just felt like it was so awkward and that there were better choices available. I pretty much dismissed it as a viable option. UNTIL I FINALLY PLAYED A GAME WITH IT! This is such a gamebreaking Mon. It switches in on Skarmory for years (I'll repeat myself how valuable this is in ADV), spreads WoW really nicely, hits super hard, has a strong Boom... It took me a while to really understand what makes it different from Gengar. They're both Pursuit Tar weak, both switch into Skarmory forever, both hate Special attacks for the most part, both lure Blissey. But truly the key difference is in how hard Weezing hits with Fire Blast. You're just doing so much damage to the ubiquitous Steel Mons of the tier. It has a super strong Boom too. I can't exactly explain how or why, but it just has an easier time Exploding on Blissey than Gengar does. Weezing is also a beast Defensively, taking hits from Mence, Aero, Flygon, and Gyarados pretty nicely. There's no greater feeling than hitting Thunder on a Gyarados as it Taunts you (okay maybe hitting Skarmory with Thunder after you've missed 5 Fire Blasts on it is better
). You can actually pump the SpA even further if you want to OHKO Offensive Starmie with Sand. I liked the HP to take on the aforementioned physical Mons better. I went Modest instead of Rash because you get seriously close to being OHKO'd by Modest Zapdos T-bolt with Rash. No touchy. His Boom is still really strong with a -Att nature. Absolutely try out this set. You will not be disappointed.

TruthICouldTell (Gengar) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA
- Dynamic Punch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

All Out Offensive Gengar:

This is the set the world wasn't ready for. This set wreaks havoc on opposing Blissey and Pursuit Tar. The original Offensive Gengar's answer to Pursuit Tar was using max, or near-max SpA HP Grass. But I got tired of still losing the 1v1 even when I predicted the switch in. Tar is just too good and too bulky that your 252+ HP Grass was maxing out at 45%, meaning that if you lose the prediction then you've just lost your Gengar. Focus Punch was a nice alternative tech, but that prediction is even more difficult to pull off than the blind HP Grass. You can mitigate it with Hypnosis, but that's not my cup of tea (he says as he recommends a move with even worse accuracy). Brick Break is hilariously weak and pitiful. So what do you have left if you want to use Offensive Gengar without being Pursuit Tar food? The answer is Dynamic Punch.

40 Atk Gengar Dynamic Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 200-236 (49.5 - 58.4%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Realistically this is a comfortable 2HKO, assuming you have at least one layer of Spikes down. This is the ultimate get out of jail free move. Hit Tar on the switch and you're golden. Feel free to HP Grass and nab your kill. If you miss, then you and your opponent are still forced into a mind game of attacking vs. switching, Crunching vs. Pursuiting. I'm in love with the possibilities Dynamic Punch provides. Gengar is just way too valuable a Mon to lose for nothing, and I don't want to be forced into making too many predictions. Also Focus Punch doesn't work if the opponent sacs to their Pursuit Tar.

A second major bonus of this set is hitting Blissey with 3 Spikes down. You can 1v1 it with good accuracy and some Confusion luck. Something no other Offensive Gengar can do short of Exploding. This set is an absolute terror and is a must try on Spikes teams.

Breathing..alive.. (Tyranitar) (F) @ Lum Berry
EVs: 20 HP / 192 Atk / 44 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide

DD Ice Beam Tar:

Okay, this one is not my set, it's not really original, so why am I posting it? Well, DD Ice Beam Lum Tar was something of a fad during SPL. It was the closest thing you'll ever see to a "trendy set" in ADV. Sort of a funny story behind this set though. I was finishing up my team for linear before our week 1 matchup, and the last thing to decide on was my Tyranitar set. I was expecting linear to bring something obnoxious like an AstaRachi / ProTox Flygon / SpDef Zapdos team. I was chatting with Asta and he and I both had the light bulb moment at the same time. Lum Berry on Ice Beam DD Tar! And just like that I decided on the set. My spread might be a little weird but basically I didn't want to go -SpDef since Starmie Hydro would then always OHKO, and if I went -Def then regular Leftovers 252+ Att Flygon can OHKO you. So Adamant it was.

44- SpA Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Flygon: 302-356 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I knew linear to favor Adamant even on his Fire move Flygon sets (in other words -SpA instead of -SpDef), so I wanted to make sure I OHKO'd this spread in case he went with a CB Flygon + Magneton style team. The 20 HP let me take 3 Aero Rock Slides, which was kinda important for my team that week since it was pretty vulnerable to Aero in the late game.

This Tar was used in a ridiculous percentage of games in early SPL, and it was more or less a coincidence that Asta and I discovered Lum Berry as the key to its greatness.

Anyway, I'm about ready to wrap this up. I've got more stuff in the wings but I don't feel like typing any more. Sorry for droning on so long and thanks to all who read.

One last point I really want to emphasize. Please think outside the box when it comes to countering Skarmory. Notice how everything I just posted has one thing in common: they are not completely shit on by Skarmory. There are so many ways you can use good, regular OU Mons without being Skarmory weak. Stack Poison immunities (Weezing). Mitigate the effect of Spikes on your team (Protect on Metagross). Slap a Lum Berry on something random. Use more Fire moves! The opportunities are endless my friends. Happy building and I look forward to the rest of the post-SPL set dumps to come. If you have any questions about anything in particular, please feel free to reach out.

Peace y'all. Drink beer.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Now that my SPL run is over, I want to share some of the more interesting sets I used this season.

CominOuttaMyCage (Venusaur) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 68 Def / 252 SpA / 56 SpD / 132 Spe
Timid Nature
- Razor Leaf
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Razor Leaf > Magical Leaf? I guess in the long run Razor Leaf's higher crit rate could come in handy, and it's not like the difference of 5 BP makes a /huge/ difference, but it is marginally stronger and the point of the set is to be offensive. For reference against standard DD Tar:

Razor Leaf 44.3 - 52.1%
Magical Leaf 47.5 - 56.2%

Magical Leaf ever so slightly gives you the edge on a 2HKO over Razor Leaf, crit notwithstanding. I can definitely see where the higher crit chance comes into play against something like CM Cune, so ultimately that may be more favored. But in a meta so Spikes-heavy, that marginal % could be the difference from KOing that Tar and not. Also Razor Leaf has a chance to miss, which could suck complete assballs if you miss a fkn pert or something. Just something I noticed, cool sets and teams as always UD, your games are always fun to watch :)

UD

BeerLover
Thanks for the response and the nice words Oglemi . I actually hadn’t even considered Magical Leaf on that set, usually going back and forth between Giga Drain and Razor Leaf. Mostly I settled with Razor Leaf because of the crit chance. OHKO’ing a Tar would be epic.

Though ultimately I don’t know how much it matters, which Grass move you pick. It is really a shame there’s no such thing as an 80-90 BP Grass move available :pikuh::pikuh::pikuh:

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
BW

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 180 SpD / 80 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic / Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute
- Protect

Brace yourself cause this set is the devil. The goal is to double it on something that Heatran walls easily and that will switch out, like Amoonguss or Ferrothorn. You can use that opportunity to get a Sub up as they go to something like Tyranitar or Keldeo. Then you start spreading status. With Sand up, Keldeo is as good as dead against this. With Protect keeping Heatran healthy and status chipping down on your foe, it'll soon be a losing battle where the opponent desperately needs to sacrifice their Poke in order to stop Heatran from getting another Sub up. I like to use this with Rotom or Specs Keldeo because they draw in easy Sub opportunities.

This was originally McMeghan's monster but he likes to use HP Ice on it. I'm not a big fan though. Wisp is the most brutal of all 4th moves but it kind of relies on not facing certain mons. Toxic is a nice catch all which doubles up as a Volc check of sorts, assuming they don't have HP Ground.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Swords Dance
- Roost

I guess this isn't anything groundbreaking, but Facade and Max SpDef are really sweet on Gliscor. This particular set 6-0es most Sun teams on the spot, it sets up on Cresselia and just walls everything else. Just have to be wary of certain Volc sets but it should still be an advantageous position for you. I like to use this on a mostly Spikes immune team because Skarmory is going to give this dude a hard time, but if you don't mind em it shouldn't be a big deal.

Politoed @ Water Gem
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hypnosis
- Thief

choolio gave me the idea for this set while talking about Gem mons with Thief. You can put something to sleep, get a strong hit off, then remove Ferrothorn's Leftovers so Poli gets to do a lot. I don't like using Knock Off on Ferrothorn because all the moves are super valuable, and sometimes you'd rather use Sleep Talk Lati or just keep the Choice item. That's where this dude comes in clutch, cause removing Ferro's item can be key to winning a Rain mirror.

Breloom @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Superpower
- Spore

Usually you'll see Low Sweep or Focus Punch here, but I like Superpower. It hits super hard and you don't even need to guess what your opponent is about to do. It allows you to get the Spore off more aggressively than if you had Focus Punch because you can still blow a healthy Ferrothorn away without it snoozing, and it doesn't have the low power issue that Low Sweep has sometimes. Obviously it comes at the cost that you'll most likely be forced out after hitting something, but Breloom is so slow that you'll probably be anyway. I think he's a great fit for Rain teams especially because they tend to draw in easy prey for ol' Loomer and they always appreciate having Latios beaten down.

DPP

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Ice Beam damn near one shots Breloom and Stealth Rock or Sand damage guarantee the KO. Everyone knows how much of an issue it can be to switch into Breloom so yeah. Swampert hardly ever needs the bulk anyway, you can force switches through typing anyway to get your rocks up. Hydro Pump hits super hard, stinging things like Gengar and Rotom who think they'll get an easy switch taking an uninvested Ice Beam at worst. All in all this makes for a nice SR setter on an offensive team that doesn't want to waste momentum switching into dangerous offensive threats.

Heatran @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

This is a super old set I haven't seen anyone use in... forever, but I like it very much in the current meta. This is meant to be used as a lead for an offensive team. LO Modest Overheat reminds Occa Gross why it needs to switch out anyway. You can use the threat Heatran poses as a lead to get SR off quickly, but usually I prefer to get a move off turn 1 because it can switch back in easily later. You can also just ditch SR for Hidden Power and use this guy as you would use Specs Tran but with Explosion and the luxury of switching moves. The big difference is resilience of course.

RSE

tall & handsome (Jirachi) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder
- Ice Punch
- Wish
- Protect

This was my take on the absurdly annoying AstaRachi. Thunder smites greedy Suicunes, Skarmories, and generally most Electric weak Pokes who think they can take advantage of a walled Jirachi. The power and high para rate are super convenient. The real beauty of this set is Ice Punch though; thanks to Serene Grace, it gets a high enough Freeze chance that Jirachi can afford to stay in on things and fish for one. Because it's so resilient you can actually get one pretty reliably. The biggest downsides to this set are that it struggles a bit more against Magneton, and Thunder's accuracy can let things go extra dicey against a desperate Tyranitar, for example.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 116 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Dance

Opting for Brick Break over Earthquake means Blissey (and Tyranitar) isn't going to be an issue late game but it comes at the price of being walled by Metagross and Jirachi. Fortunately those happen to be Dugtrio weak so you can fit the guy on a trap team and get some pretty neat results. Salamence handles a bunch of dangerous guys like Hera and Cele so that you don't need to waste your trap on them.

GSC

Snorlax @ Leftovers
- Double-Edge
- Thunder
- Lovely Kiss
- Self-Destruct

MixThorLax is pretty sweet actually. You get him in early and smite the opponent's Cloyster as they inevitably get their greedy layer of Spikes. LK can then disable something important on their team and suddenly you're playing with a huge advantage. Steelix, Tyranitar, and other Lax are things you'll hit quite often. I like to use this guy with Gengar and Vaporeon because LK is very likely to disable a Gar check. Gengar can then explode on the Electric more reliably, and SD Lax is very reliable at taking out the opponent's own Lax; at this point Vaporeon should have field day.

I was a bit bored so here some sets I used:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
- Rest
- Growth
- Surf
- Ice Beam or Roar

Vaporeon can be really annoying and some sets that rarley get used are Ice Beam as last and Roar as last on it.
IB Vap needs a partner capitalizing the fact it lures in stuff like Exeggutor, Zapdos, Dragonite etc. and one of it's best partners is Machamp. Champs free to drop HP Bug now and can run EQ instead to hit Raikou (meaning you don't waste any CC PPs on it ever), Nidoking, Gengar, Muk and some pokes that might drop to +1 EQ as well thus you are able to preserve another CC pp.

Roars benefits are you can phaze stuff and rack up spikes that way and you won't be losing any Vaporeon 1v1s and such and can freely switch it into an Umb that never revealed it's whole moveset since MLook Umb isn't a threat to this set anymore then. You also don't get phazed by suicune and even skarmory out.

Marowak @ Thick Club
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Body Slam
- Fire Blast

W5 is where I used this. I didn't wanna use SD since I felt the team would be slower and I would have had to probably change Rhydon to Tyranitar and make Cloyster RSpin which I didn't like and the general idea of Dual Elec Dual Ground was pretty nice. Anyway, it's basically some sort of "all out attacker" and it does that pretty nice, bslam because para chance is nice, fb because skarmory is forced to rest and it can one shot forre with spike damage or any prior damage.

+

Moltres @ Charcoal
- Sunny Day

Umbreon @ Leftovers
- Moonlight

It's more the idea then the actual movesets behind these two. Movesets for both are pretty standard, more or less. Moonlight as well as Morning Sun and Synthesis healing up to full in sun is what made me use this. I really liked the idea of an umbreon going back to full health in one turn without having to rest. Oh also used charcoal on Moltres for shit like thief misdreavus, which was a bit annoying for the team with umbreon as pursuiter since most if not all thief missies tend to run rest which Umb doesn't break unless it gets a crit on the resting turn into another crit.

If you want some other Moltres ideas: It learns roar too, so SDay FT Roar Rest is also a cool set to use, SDay simply is used to make electrics think twice about wasting thunder pps in sun.

Misdreavus @ Leftovers
- Destiny Bond
- Thunder
- Toxic
- Pain Split

My favorite Misdreavus set. Toxic and Thunder are obvious choices, Pain Split because more PPs, can wear things like Snorlax down with it on turns it rested and Destiny Bond is what makes me like it the most. The one thing that can save your ass sometimes really badly from stuff like Vaporeon that might be about to go in due to unfortunate circumstances (sleeping Raikou or other things etc). It's also cool on a team with a LS user like Blissey.

Forretress @ Leftovers
- Reflect
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Explosion

Well it's actually nothing new, just forgotten and probably for a good reason anyway. I used it on my finals team, Reflect was nice there since it meant stuff like Egg, Vap etc. would be taking less damage switching into things that could go in on Forre and try to set up (Snorlax). Not much to say. Don't use this without a ghost type, otherwise opposing Forres will be a pain in the ass forever, and HP Ghost Forre can be already a pain in the ass for both ghosts you could pair this one up. Although depending on the team, you can make Egg HP Fire for that case on my team to patch this one.

Some sets I just want to share:

Espeon @ Leftovers
- Growth
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Water
- Bite

Esepeons a cool poke, a bit too frail unfortunatley and hates egg and mie a lot but its not so difficult to boom bait mie or get rid of egg but I saw it gets bite, so I thought I would give it a try. Its kinda nice, since it means you can save your explosion for something else than a starmie and dont neccessarily need a direct way of getting egg removed. +1 bite 2hkos exeggutor and Starmie + on the top of that it has a chance to flinch (matters only for egg anyway) which means you could get rid of egg with +1 bite from espeon. only downside is you kinda gotta get it somehow in without it taking any damage since I ditched morning sun, as in it should get in on doubles or things that sleep.

Jolteon @ Leftovers
- Growth
- Thunder
- Hidden Power Water
- Roar

The speed of this jolteon is lowered to outslow any roar raikou out there to make it actually work. So the idea is, set up growth, if they have a Raikou and it attempts to roar you out it will notice it can't since you outslow it and roar it out in return. I like the idea and it doent make jolteon completly useless if you don't run into any roar raikous since same applies to it with roar vaporeon, you get to chip shit in general with it too. Toxic is also nice as last, forces kous to rest.

Gengar @ Leftovers
- Rest
- Toxic
- Ice Punch
- Thunderbolt

Rest and Toxic not really moves you will ever see on Gengar but I made something with it on a Blissey team which provides Light Screen for it. LS means TTar will have issues to trap you, you are being able to spin block starmie way better (psychics a 3hko only) and you get in return toxic off on both. You also hit kou, lax other things that usually switch into ggar and such. I would only really suggest this set on a team with beller and LS user, which blissey is good at.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a generally good bulky loom spread for dpp? Not a subpunch set, but rather a mach punch / superpower / seed bomb / spore set. I'm asking because I haven't made one and I hate having to go back to old teams in my teambuilder to copy and paste a bulky loom set with random evs.

Deleted User 108547

Banned deucer.
I'm not sure if I should post it here because certainly it's not an underrated set but a gimmick idea to counter the incredible rise in popularity that Gengar, and specially Jirachi, have experimented. Anyway, all suggestions and advice would be helpful as I haven't test it so much games.

Houndoom @ Leftovers
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Pursuit
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp

This Houndoom can serve as a Gengar trapper and also as a great Jirachi counter (watch out for versions with thunderbolt and body slam). As a Gengar trapper everybody knows how it works, but as Jirachi counters it brings an incredible useful inmunity to psychic/burn and resistance to fire.

Flamethrower (fire blast) and pursuit are mandatory as main attacks. The reason to choose flamethrower over fire blast is because wish+protect Jirachi can stall you until run out of PP and even with fire blast you don't get a clear OHKO. The last two moves are very customizable as depending on which ability you chose some moves would be better than others. With early bird rest seems to be a legit option because can heal you and deal with toxic variants of Jirachi while with flash fire (fire inmunity and boost coming from a fire punch sounds great) substitute seems to be a way for dealing with toxic variants. Crunch, HP grass/ice, toxic, roar are also good options. For example these are the calcs after a fire boost if you opt for flash fire and fire blast:

- 252+ SpA Flash Fire Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 106 HP / 0 SpD Blissey: 221-261 (32.6 - 38.5%) -- 3.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery.
- 252+ SpA Flash Fire Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 156-184 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery.
- 252+ SpA Flash Fire Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 127-150 (31.4 - 37.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery.
- 252+ SpA Flash Fire Houndoom Fire Blast vs. 144 HP / 164 SpD Thick Fat Snorlax: 114-135 (22.9 - 27.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery.

Evs and nature maximize its raw power, while 176 evs in speed gives 270 of speed, enough to surpass adamant Heracross and all common versions of Jirachi, 80 evs between HP and SpD for extra bulk. The ev spread probably could get some improvements but I'm very bad at it.

EDIT: pasy_g sent me two really cool and bulkier version of the set above. These are the two versions, thanks for it!

Houndoom (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Early Bird
EVs: 100 HP / 168 SAtk / 240 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Pursuit
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp

Pursuit on the switch will always kill 324 HP / 186 SDef Gengar upon next entry in sand:
168+ SpA Houndoom Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 306-360 (94.4 - 111.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
Highest possible chance to survive 3 Thunderbolt in sand: 252 SpA Gengar Thunderbolt vs. 100 HP / 240 SpD Houndoom: 96-113 (30.3 - 35.7%) -- 36.2% chance to 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

Houndoom (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Early Bird
EVs: 248 SAtk / 188 SDef / 72 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Pursuit
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp

244 Spd to outrun jolly Tyranitar, fast Magneton and uninvested Celebi/Jirachi
Will always survive 1 Ice Punch and 2 Thunderbolts from 359 SAtk Gengar in sand (might die from sand damage afterwards, though)
252 SpA Gengar Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 188 SpD Houndoom: 101-119 (36.9 - 43.5%) -- 99.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Gengar Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 188 SpD Houndoom: 39-47 (14.2 - 17.2%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery Pursuit on the switch will always kill 324 HP / 186 SDef Gengar regardless of sand:
248+ SpA Houndoom Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 326-384 (100.6 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Well, due to the lack of posts recently, here is a couple of unique dpp sets I have used recently.

Snorlax @ Custap Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 152 HP / 104 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Self-Destruct
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
- Crunch

I use this mostly on offense, because I find curselax really weak and have a disliking for that set in general. I like this set primarily due to the bulk it can bring to an offensive team without killing momentum ( swampert, blissey and clefable) thanks to the stupid moves that are explosion and self destruct in this gen. Nobody really expects a custap berry on this thing and it works wonders and tends to get a kill in most games will also providing nice utility against most electric and water type threats. The evs are flexible and can be modified depending on what the team needs. This specific spread is meant to take a specific physical attack and then be able to boom on it the next turn (while being generally bulky on the special side still.) A much simpler spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 def adamant can be run for a little more damage from boom.

Rotom-Wash @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp

A variation of sub-rotom where it doesn't need to be the sweeper. It is kinda similar to sub zap but has a little more utility in will-o-wisp, it also works great on spike stacks. I personally don't think life orb is needed on sub-rotom because you just get worn down too quickly and colbur can be generally helpful.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 3 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Is this set stupid and really niche? Yes. Is it fun to use though? Absolutely. I forget which game I saw this used but I thought it was interesting enough to try on a team. It has worked sometimes and other times it can suck but it is somewhat unique to cress cause it has similar bulk but also a steel type added to it. Generally, when I use this set your best bets is to run it with some type of trapper (mag/duggy) and tspikes (nidoqueen/rose) I like this set also because it can't be poisoned and lures mag while also being able to stall out poisoned mons. Definitely worth a try

Posho

local gaymer weeb
is a Tiering Contributoris the Smogon Tour Season 23 Championis a Past SCL Champion
Dropping some sets since I'm not going to play BW in tournaments for a while:

485.png

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 168 HP / 204 SpA / 8 SpD / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Protect
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]/ Will-o-Wisp

Fairly standard Heistran set but still I consider it worth checking because it's become really good in the metagame. It's pretty clear what it does, comes in on anything that gives it a free switch-in(usually pair it with U-turn or Volt Switch) and starts firing off Magma Storms, in sand it makes some of its counters even less of a switch in for it thanks to sand damage + magma recoil + tect, you can also add up burn damage if you choose to run wisp, but I think hp ice is pretty nice, specially if you're trying to catch some Garchomp switch. Ev spread here is pretty moldable, this one helps outspeed stuff like 0 spe rotom or max spe adamant Tyranitar(my team needed that benchmark) and rest is HP so I can tank some hits like for instance Kazam's Focus Blast or Latios' Surf. Some people run leftovers over balloon but that's on what the team's needs are, just don't change its SpA if you don't want to do negative damage to Tyranitar.

437.png

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Toxic

- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

This set is meant to be paired mons that can get rid of its checks, so clearly Magnezone is one good partner for it. Bronzong's typing and ability make it pretty annoying and only killable or countered by a handful, that's why any team you place this mon on should be focused on giving it support as it may turn the match-up on your favor. The moveset is pretty simple, just Toxic and Tect so it's easy to cripple and annoy some mons and last two moves EQ and hp ice since they help against the likes of heatran, zone or lando.

385.png

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 124 HP / 136 SpA / 64 SpD / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Energy Ball
- Icy Wind

Sitrus lead Jirachi is one amazing mon in offense. This set is pretty much meant to get sr up whereas you tank hits from the likes of Latios or non-specs Keldeo as you get free momentum ith U-turn and also an easy sack if needed. As mentioned before, ev spread is meant to take on Latios' dm but also make stuff like Alakazam easier to handle, it outspeeds Modest Hydreigon and some speedy Gliscors, icy wind is for dragons and energy ball for the likes of Rotom-w, gastrodon, Starmie or Landorus-T.

423.png

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 72 Def / 188 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Waterfall / Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake

I know this set is pretty underappreciated outside of ORAS, but it's actually pretty good if well supported, usually I pair it with mons that can absorb status and Pursuit so I get rid of Latis. Ev spread is meant to take on Keld's specs SS after a +1 boost and withstand Ttar's Crunch. Watefall or Scald depends on if you want to do more immediate damage against levitating mons or if you'd rather have the burn chance at hand.

186.png

Politoed @ Custap Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 232 HP / 20 Def / 148 SpA / 40 SpD / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Endeavor
- Hypnosis
- Ice Beam

This was my own take at Custap Politoed, I didn't want to have generic scarf or chesto on my team and I wanted to a more surprising set. the Ev spread is meant to take on Tornadus' Hurricane and Garchomp's outrage and kill them back with Hydro and Ice Beam respectively, the speed is enough for it to surpass stuff like Jellicent or Skarmory so it can avoid taunts and whatnot. The moveset is pretty simple, Hypnosis is great because sleep, Hydro and Beam are my main attacks, with modest nature and under rain Politoed still gives decent chunks to opposing pokemon and last Endeavor helps A TON wearing down stuff like Ferrothorn for stuff like Starmie to start wreaking havoc or simply revenge kill mons, for instance fast water mons with Mamoswine's Ice shard.

Last edited:
Hey! Here's a cool Tar set that i came up with recently and had decent succes with.
(probably has been done before, but haven't seen it so...)

ADV

1531070184329.png

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
EVs: 80 HP / 232 Atk / 76 Def / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Rock Slide

This Tar combines ability to stop Skarm laying down spikes and still hit hard on switch.
Paired with mons that can deal with Skarm or with Taunt Skarm of your own helps teams that don't bring Mag or spinners.
I find it most usefull on Aero teams where you don't need it to function as a DD cleaner,
and with all Refresh Pert around getting Toxic on it ussualy ain't enough.
Ev's are set to outspeed Meta and fast Bliss while still maintaining Jolly Dugtrio bulk and great att.
More bulk and/or att could be usefull, however not being able to OKO Offensive Star makes Hp investment not that worthy, and speed comes in handy for finishing off unsuspecting slower Meta after prior Focus punch or EQ.
Give it a go and see what suits you best.

Last edited:
Some ADV stuff I've used / been thinking about recently

Cloyster @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 160 SpD / 100 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

- Explosion
- Spikes

Cloy is a terrible spinner because it will never get a spin off against any TSS build; it just doesn't have the staying power or longevity to do so (Gar + Skarm wins long term, chipped easily, etc). On this set, I dropped spin for HP [Grass] and changed STABs from Surf to Ice Beam. HP [Grass] is extremely useful for punishing Pert (especially Focus Punch offensive sets) and makes Cloyster an amazing switch-in; it's much better than Skarm or it's spin variants at forcing Pert out. Ice Beam is amazing coverage in the current meta, hitting common mons like Zap for SE damage while retaining strong neutral / SE coverage against key targets like Clay. Speed is useful to get out of that weird Skarm / Bliss / Tar / Pert speed tier and makes spiking much easier. EVs are pretty basic, enough speed for offensive Pert / Jolly Tar and the rest in SpD (avoids MixMence OHKO after spikes + sand and offensive Pert 2HKO w/ Hydro after spikes + sand) and can probably be optimized a bit. I think this set does what SpD Cloy is best at but better (abusing waters / passive teams, spiking vs Clay or Mag cores), punishes more, and gives up less free turns.

Smeargle @ Salac Berry
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 48 HP / 208 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Will-O-Wisp / Baton Pass
- Explosion / Endure / Calm Mind
- Spikes

Spikes are great in ADV and Smeargle is rather unexplored, being 1 of 4 viable spikers and the only with sleep / that can easily keep momentum. I actually stole this set from Asta in UU but it still works fairly well in OU. In the lead slot, Smeargle has many positive matchups (Gross, Zap, TTar, Cune, Skarm, etc) and can easily gain momentum by Sporing, spiking, and burning/booming the switchin. Additionally, lead BP electrics can force positive matchups (normals, Celebi, Regice, etc) by scaring out poor ones (Mence, Gar, etc) and pass directly into Smeargle to keep that clean momentum. EVs max speed and avoid the OHKO for all special attacks weaker than 252+ Cune Hydro (everything from Zap, Star, etc). Obviously needs some intense team support so spikes actually stay up but WoW + Spore + Boom / CMPass generally means you'll get some value out of this set if you get poor hazard matchup (aka Starmie or Clay depending on your moves).

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt / Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
- Psychic

Modest spinless Starmie is something I've thought about using on a few teams because the extra damage output is fairly meaningful and its speed tier is fairly barren; the only mons you miss out on by using Modest is tying other Starmie and Gengar (admittedly a big deal). You still outspeed 252+ Spe base 100s. Psychic and HP [Grass] make cleaning past weakened Pert and SpD Gar very easy.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 136 Atk / 232 SpA / 140 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Physically-invested MixMence is a known mon at this point but I still think it deserves a mention. Dropping Claw certainly isn't ideal (you lose a great, strong neutral coverage move) but Rock Slide 2HKOs SpD Zap and the extra attack is great vs normals and TTar (you now 2HKO Bliss in sand, much greater dmg output vs Tar). EVs provide enough speed for Adamant Cross, enough Atk for Bliss / Zap rolls, and the rest was dumped into SpA.

Hariyama @ Leftovers
EVs: 52 Atk / 252 Def / 204 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rest

HP Flying is cool as a last move on Yama because it OHKOs Heracross (even with no investment or +Atk nature) and chips Celebi / Gar. This frees up slots on Skarm for Taunt / Tect on teams with Dug or Gar + Yama because Skarm no longer needs Drill Peck to check Heracross.

Last edited:

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Very nice post man, Modest Star is a particularly dangerous customer to face. I think I might of actually said this to you before but Smearer can pass Tail Glow instead of CM, so fast recievers that are less bothered about the SDef boost like Gar, Starm, even Agi Zap have more immediate sweeping power.

zf post #164

Hariyama @ Leftovers
EVs: 52 Atk / 252 Def / 204 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brick Break
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rest

HP Flying is cool as a last move on Yama because it OHKOs Heracross (even with no investment or +Atk nature) and chips Celebi / Gar. This frees up slots on Skarm for Taunt / Tect on teams with Dug or Gar + Yama because Skarm no longer needs Drill Peck to check Heracross.
Neat. Well I obviously loved Thick Fat + Rest Hariyama back in the day...however I would try Whirlwind > Rest for the invaluable utility it provides.

Yama is a good phazer. Emergency / anti-set up against BP chains and greedy pokes like Lax, Celebi, Cune, and Mence. Blows out random stuff behind Substitutes too.

Rest is tough to pull off in this meta anymore, I feel, and leaves you a sitting duck sometimes. Fighting STAB is obviously changeable as well (Cross Chop or even Focus Punch, since Knock Off forces a lot of switches. Knock Off + Focus Punch + Whirlwind messes with a lot.)

But I suppose Rest is if you desperately need some form of status absorber. Even with no Rest, you could argue a burn is annoying, but hey, that's why I like Focus Punch for more power. (Even if statused, it makes for a rock resist, a good Tar/Bliss switch-in, a Gengar chipper with the HP Flying innovation(!), and you can still force opponents into telegraphable plays/switches with Knock Off or disrupt them with Whirlwind.)

Protect > Rest could be good too, especially with no Sand in play, if you care about longevity. It's probably sub-optimal, however. Yama is damn cool though.

Last edited:

A bit of enlightenment for young bucks out there - wise papa smurf dropping SIX underrated sets into one team. Very fun team to use which is saying something given how dour the BW tier is.. Guaranteed to win any weather war. Eject Ninetales + Wobb takes care of all choiced Toeds. Defensive variants get owned by SolarTrap Tran so thats rain. Ttar sand is easily trapped by Diglett, and Hippowdon can be Tickled/Encored to -6 before allowing Diglett to kill. Fire gem Starmie because... well I can't actually remember but I needed a spinner and water moves werent on the agenda given my weather dominance - comes in useful though. Chesto Resto Volc because you can always last mon sweep Chansey stall teams, also helps vs random twave users.

AWOOGA (Ninetales) @ Eject Button
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sunny Day
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

AWOOGA! (Wobbuffet) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 76 HP / 180 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Tickle
- Encore

eyebrows (Diglett) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stealth Rock
- Substitute

AWOOOGA (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day

- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Earth Power

AWOOOGA! (Starmie) @ Fire Gem
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rapid Spin

AWOOOOGA!! (Volcarona) (M) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Rest
- Quiver Dance

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-386135
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-386123
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-385069
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-383789
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen5ou-382506

Last edited:

pasy_g

Banned deucer.
Uh so as an ADV Onetrick i think i might drop something here too so people can see how great I am!

Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Atk / 32 SpA / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Psychic
- Refresh
- Rapid Spin​

This is to be quite honest my favorite "invention" i made. SkarmGarTar was very very high in usage when i started to play against and there were many smart brains working on solutions. It still stayed one of the most played teams (and is still pretty popular tbh) and i am mad i didn't come up with this earlier lol! One of those "fixes" included the famous MagDol which basically is a Magneton to trap the opposing Skarm and reliably spin away the Spikes it layed out. I never really liked that idea, since starting off with two mons that don't offer THAT much, i think the teams are always going in a similar direction and you put yourself in a bad spot when facing another type of team. So why not just them into one pokemon!

I had the idea for this when i lost my last RoAPL game (to go 6-1 :mad:) to a crit to exactly such a team when my opponents Tyranitar outsped and crit my Dol with a Crunch. But instead of accepting my faith and drowning in sadness i got right at work to find a solution. So somehow it was just widely accepted that Claydol has to use a -Speed nature since it has to use both Earthquake and Psychic. Since Gengar is not the bulkiest of Mons tho i did some calcing and found out that you can even 2hko SDef Gar (which i think is dumb and bad set) in Sand with just 32 Satk EVs and a negative Nature! What more do you want?

I've also been theorizing a lot with EV Spreads in general and came to the conclusion that probably a shitton of EV Spreads are not optimal at all and there could be a lot of improvment done, but im just too lazy and busy to get into more work to find out which those are and how to improve them. Anyway! This being said Claydol has immensly high Def Basestats and really low HP. With that in mind you can just max HP out and get an overall really bulky mon, which does not benefit all too much from pumping more into another Def stat since you just stand around at that point and arent even that much of a threat to a lot of things. This frees it up for some nice ways to get into a more aggressive role.

Ive already explained the SAtk and HP, but why would you want the Speed and Attack? Well, at the time the special Tyranitars (Tauntox, crunchsuitgrass,whatever) werent that high on Speed and mostly aimed to outspeed Skarm (Taunt) which hovers around 186/187 usually. So i made it just a tad faster than that, and e voila, you don't get trapped by TTar anymore and just 2hko it which usually ends up being some TTar Gengar switch switch situations where you can get your Leftovers Recovery back (which you also do vs Skarm btw and you dont get trapped :wesmart:). The Speed is also great vs the counterplay of usual Dol which came up with Skarm. TauntToxic tries to prevent the Refresh after Claydol gets toxicd, so now that we outspeed it we refresh before we get taunted and never lose to Skarm.

Also the Atk Invest was mainly aimed to destroy Tyranitars, but there are a lot of other Situations/mons its useful against. Lemme just drop some calcs to demonstrate:

0 Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 12 Def Metagross: 129-152 (35.4 - 41.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

204+ Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 12 Def Metagross: 180-212 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

0 Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 163-192 (40.3 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

204+ Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 229-270 (56.6 - 66.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 160-189 (24.5 - 28.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

204+ Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 225-265 (34.5 - 40.6%) -- 54.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 144 HP / 132 Def Snorlax: 96-114 (19.3 - 22.9%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

204+ Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 144 HP / 132 Def Snorlax: 136-160 (27.3 - 32.1%) -- 52.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 92-109 (35.1 - 41.6%) -- 79.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

204+ Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 130-154 (49.6 - 58.7%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Marowak: 74-88 (28.2 - 33.5%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO

204+ Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Marowak: 105-124 (40 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Venusaur: 87-103 (23.9 - 28.2%) -- 94.1% chance to 4HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

204+ Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Venusaur: 123-145 (33.7 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery

All in all its overall usefulness proved for me over and over again, and i had times where i just slapped it on every team as a last slot, and tbh, i never regreted it. This set alone changed so much for me and i actually am really proud of that one.

Many people say Claydol is a trashmon, its a bad mon and is only good rn because its kinda good vs TSS. But i don't think so at all, i think it is a great mon and i really loved playing him all the time (except when i shared the spread with Asta and got speedcreeped in wcop :cwl:).

Might maybe do some more some time and edit it in here, we will see!

Last edited:

Zokuru

The Stall Lord
is a Tiering Contributor
Personal and minor customisation of the pasy's " new " spread :

Code:
Claydol @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 232 Atk / 32 SpA / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Psychic
- Refresh
- Rapid Spin
It just aims at making the maximum improvement versus some Special Tyranitar that 136 HP / 112 Def EV's which is a bulkpoint vs Heracross, Metagross and many other threats.

232+ Atk Claydol Earthquake vs. 136 HP / 112 Def Tyranitar: 198-234 (52.8 - 62.4%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
( Maybe it's outdated but the bulkpoint stays the same, so whatever EV spread Ttar use this spread targets this bulkpoint )

Here is the calc, after a fast check it changes nothing or very little about Dol overall bulk and it maximises your chances to beat Tyranitar, which is kinda the focal point of this set.

Also, really good idea from pasy_g here, good job dude.

Last edited:

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender

Raikou @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 2 Atk
- Thunder
- Toxic
- Roar
- Rest

Not an innovative set of course, but this set is the GOAT. In some defensive teams, usually there are some structures where you could be be low-key weak against opposing Raikou (think of structures with Cloyster + Skarmory + Gengar or Misdreavus). In some situations where you don't have a Ground-type, opposing Raikou can force the Spikes shuffling against 3/6~4/6 of these teams. With this set you can easily fix your issues against opposing Raikou. It's awesome against RoarKou, and it's still solid enough against Snorlax and ST Kou. Although it lacks firepower against Exeggutor and Marowak, both hate to take random Toxic because they lack consistent forms of recovery, while Steelix isn't a huge problem, since it gives free opportunities for Cloy / Forry to lay Spikes safely. The only major issue of this set is the lack of coverage against Nidoking switch-ins. Otherwise, it's one of the best Toxic + Spikes abusers of the metagame imo.

Alakazam (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
IVs: 18 Atk
- Psychic
- Fire Punch
- Toxic
- Recover

One of my favorite takes on Alakazam. Thanks to Toxic, you can lure Tyranitar switch-ins, and it's a solid status spreader overall. Even though you're not killing Lax or Umbreon anytime soon, at least you're putting them in a timer... so yeah. With Spikes you can chip / force stuff like Snorlax / Raikou / Umbreon to Rest, while Fire Punch allows you to punish Toxic-immunities, making it lowkey dangerous against a lot of offensive teams without RestTalk Lax. I like to pair this Alakazam set with Machamp, so you can punish the most of Alakazam's switch-ins, especially in turns when you double your Machamp against a Resting Snorlax or Umbreon. Sinergy-wise it's not a bad pick, because it's one of the best Gengar switch-ins of the metagame, and with Zapdos, you can reliably pivot around Machamp, Nidoking, and Jynx as well.

Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
IVs: 2 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Lovely Kiss
- Sleep Talk

It's a nice tweak when you want to use Jynx to punish common offensive teams, but you want to fix your own weakness against opposing Jynx / Gengar / Nidoking as well. With the exception of LK Lax, Jynx can pivot around the most of the Sleep-inducers (this set + RestTalk Zapdos pretty much gives you a ton of room to outplay them if they try to predict). It gives more room to customize your own Snorlax moveset, since ST Lax isn't a necessity with this moveset.

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Bind
- Roar

It could be really fun against opposing Offenses with Zapdos, but realistically it's gonna be useless in a ton of match-ups. The purpose of this set is aiming for a safe Steelix vs. Zapdos trade, but there are a lot of obstacles (e: sometimes you want to Poison the opposing Cloyster with your own Cloyster so you won't ruin the surprise). Too bad it sucks against Skarmory match-ups.

Last edited:
Some sets that I used/planned to use during wcop:

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Outrage
- Fire Fang / Earthquake

Pretty cool lure for taking out a chunk or killing landorus-therian can be eved to kill lando-t, also takes giant chunks off hippo and can do the suprise dd to catch some more kills. really enjoyed using this pokemon, mence definitely should be used more in bw very strong and can use a ton of lure sets.

Dragonite @ Yache Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

- Dragon Claw
Also pretty cool set in conjuction of the one above. Takes out ferrotran with its moveset and if a chunk is taken out of the lando-t this pokemon becomes a very strong menace. Yache has saved me multiple times and gives the pokemon a way easier time to set up. Fun set that can break down those shitty sand cores ^^. Also dclaw over outrage because no lum berry.

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Rock Polish / Protect
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Love lando-t punishers, use this in conjuction with another mon that hates lando-t (fighting/dragspam) and u will have a fun time.

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Talk
I've really been digging kyurem-normal also lately. I'm also kinda tired of ppl just only using the sub roost set, shit can hit hard as fuck. Its essentially stronger than specs latios as it can forgo timid for modest and basically breaks shit for teams. Also neat mon to have sleep talk on also.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Scald
- Protect

I used this set on a tspike protect stall team (v gay I know lol), but its actually a pretty clutch move set. Tho it forgoes the annoyance and boon of taunt for protect, it allows the racking of tspike damage and also eliminates the 5050 in scarftar/bandtar situations which i found very handy in quite a few matchups. Overall its a pretty cool tech that allows jelly to have a little more depth as a spinblocker.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish
- Trick
- Tailwind

I didn't use this in wcop or planned on using it in wcop but I did however use it last spl and it was one of my favorite sets. 3 utility move scarf latias actually does alot of fun stuff especially on dragmag teams. It hwish a dragon up can tailwind for an endgame sweep or trick and cripple opposing mons while still being able to check the scarfers and getting a suprise kill. It may be a little of a joke set but it was pretty rad to use.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 1 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Gyro Ball

This pokemon can be the star of the show but can also be the downfall to the team. It's a compression mon that fits the same role as a jirachi but also being ground immune so it can then check/counter landorus-therian, garchomp, hippo, etc. It however is extreme set up bait to the likes of scizor which jirachi can atleast para and can sometimes bring zero to the table except rocks at the very least. However it can get some great matchups and a very good role compression mon that can serve as your dragon, hurricane, and ground answer at the same time, if u need such a pokemon.

Will post more sets at some other point ^^.

i just made the team, thanks for submission!

I really love this thread and actually learned quite a few new things, so here's some of the weird + underrated stuff I've used in DPP. Keep in mind that all this stuff was innovated pre-Latias. Whether it is currently useful during the ongoing suspect test/in the potential future Latias meta is up to your discretion.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Block
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled

I put this one at the top because it is my favorite "gimmick" set that I've made. The premise is that teams with issues punishing Starmie don't have to run Tyranitar, which may compound weaknesses within the team. This Blissey aims to use block on a Starmie as it thinks it's safe to stay in and either spin for free or even hydro/surf on a predicted ghost. You don't want to reveal block and toxic until you have pinpointed something you can trap or even cripple. I've also had this work on Zapdos that assume they can roost for free, for example. As for pairings, this set goes really well with certain setup sweepers that don't want sand up, and also teams that use hazards. I found this to be a great fit on full stall Tarless builds for this reason. This Blissey pairs amazingly with crocune because of the great defensive synergy, the fact that crocune loves toxic support, and also the assumed lack of Tyranitar on the team. Even if Blissey ultimately will fail to trap the Starmie and the move is revealed, the Blissey can still reliably force out Starmie and allow for nice pivoting. EDIT: I forgot to mention that you don't need to run Rotom or a spinblocker either when using this.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Mach Punch
- Slack Off

What I love about Slack Off is two things: the fact that I can comfortably run Life Orb, and the fact that it gives Infernape much more longevity in a decent number of matchups. For example, this Infernape destroys BKC's traditional stall. When Nidoqueen protects or when a switch is forced, if the Infernape is low, it can Slack Off and have a lot more longevity. The main way these full stall builds will handle Infernape usually is feeding off on massive residual damage from hazards, toxic spikes, and sand by utilizing double switches and protect. I have found use using Slack Off ape against all types of builds regardless. Keep in mind Infernape will not be able to use Slack Off while sustaining direct damage; it's made for capitalizing on switches and protects.

Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Talk
- Explosion

I enjoy Sleep Talk Gengar among a few other choiced Sleep Talk users as a means of freeing up offensive builds against Breloom. This works well with Gengar because all 3 of these moves will one shot most Breloom and also Gengar can come in to Breloom's attacks and resist them.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 236 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Thunder
- Iron Head
- Protect/Fire Punch

99% of the time I see Body Slam used > Thunder, and I have found Thunder to be really underrated. Thunder is good at not being a sitting duck against Starmie and Skarmory, which makes certain stalls and balances much easier to deal with. On top of this, it's also great against Gyarados and it can paralyze Rotom. The big downsides to this are the fact that you need to run a -SpA nature, the accuracy is annoying, and you also cannot paralyze Gliscor and Flygon. I would recommend a speed creep, taking out of SpD. Fire Punch is useful > Protect on certain builds that need to deal with steels like SD Scizor.

Mesprit @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave/U-Turn
- Stealth Rock/U-Turn
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

I think Mesprit offers a really unique role compression of resisting fighting, not being weak to hazards, levitating, setting up SR, and being a nice check to both DDgyara and DDnite with boltbeam coverage. Mesprit actually has a ton of choices for moves: even Healing Wish. The 12 SpA is to secure the OHKOs on both Gyarados and Dragonite after rocks. I have actually fit this on certain paraspams of mine and have really liked using it.

Dugtrio @ Expert Belt/Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Pursuit
- Screech

Expert Belt Dugtrio will still OHKO Breloom with Aerial Ace and allows you to change your moves, so you can effectively remove Blissey and Clefable using Screech. 12 HP is to survive two Seismic Tosses after rocks to further enable you to do this. You can still use Choice Band screech as a tech against Knock Off Clefable (I first saw august implement this). I have used ebelt Dugtrio on trapping builds that really want to get rid of Blissey/Clefable. Life Orb is out of question because you cannot live two Seismic Tosses and ebelt still allows you to get the crucial KO on Breloom and does not guarantee an OHKO on Tyranitar anyway.

Bronzong @ Iron Ball
Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock/Explosion

This is another odd set I have used for trapping builds. You lead with this and it always lives a modest Overheat from Specstran. Iron Ball Bronzong is never anticipated and often the checks to Bronzong will be susceptible to Iron Ball (Skarmory, Zapdos, Rotom). If any of these receive an Iron Ball, they can be trapped by Dugtrio and nailed with a super effective CB Earthquake. I opted for Heatproof also because Iron Ball takes away Levitate anyway and because I lead with it.

I have used Heal Bell defensive Dragonite and Light Screen on defensive Rotom, but I have already discussed these sets on my RMT, so if you are interested in those I recommend you to check that out.

Thanks for reading :)

Last edited:

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
While we're dropping some DPP stuff, I'll talk about some stuff I've been testing out lately that's been cool to use.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 136 HP / 208 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Magnet Rise

Magnet Rise Magnezone is a great mon for trapping Bronzong, specifically defensive variants, which is otherwise a headache for standard dragmag teams to deal with due to it blowing up Magnezone with Earthquake. It can also fuck around with stuff like Choice Flygon trying to switch in and doubles as a servicable breaker against offensive teams lacking Swampert, as Modest Flash Cannon blows up Flygon and Breloom. This sets a really cool set on Dragmag teams in general and has been clutch for me numerous times and retains all the things that makes Magnezone such an effective pick in this metagame.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Damp
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Waterfall
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Poliwrath may look like an odd pick at first glance, but it's actually a pretty servicable mon on stall teams. Its typing and natural bulk allows it to check some of the more irritating threats in the tier, such as rachi, ttar, heatran, ape, etc. Obviously, Poliwrath doesn't 100% beat all these threats and they need to be scouted before you try using Poliwrath to check them, but it's still a nice utility check to a lot of things and one of the better CBTar checks on stall teams. Damp is a really nice ability because it allows you to come in on boom gross and tran pretty easily and use them to stack up bulk ups. Obviously missing Water Absorb can suck in some matchups, but it's still pretty good.

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt

I've made quite a few teams with this bad boy for one main reason: it can run a train on a lot of stall teams. Obviously bulky waters and rotom prevent it from 6-0ing teams off rip, but it's still an incredible pick for its ability to muscle past Skarm and disrupt the tempo of these teams completely with Taunt + SD. Aside from being a great stallbreaker, Gliscor's impressive natural bulk allows it to function as a pretty effective check for stuff like Infernape, Dragonite, and Flygon for teams that are weaker to them.

Last edited:
Excal arent those Osgoodes sets? p sure ive seen block bliss stalk gar etc used by osgoode. looks like you shouldnt take credit for bliss from him.
Never knew he used either of them (nor is there a post in this thread about it). I conceived the idea on my own, but I guess it makes sense that I'm probably not the only one who's ever done it.

Edit: probably a dumb edit but I was talking to osgoode today and it turns out he indirectly got the set from me, so figured I might as well add this.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)