Underrated Pokemon

1601681504547.png

Mantine is often forgotten, but I've used it in several games and had a lot of fun with it.

In Colosseum, if it has Swift Swim... Rain Dance + Bubblebeam and pair it with a Thunder user (I often used Misdreavus)... Very nice.

In Crystal.... Amazing special bulk, Surf + Ice move and maybe Hidden Power, Confuse Ray and/or Attract... Small movepool, but has anything it needs to do really well as a special wall with decent Special Attack.

Maybe not a competitive superstar, but definitely a good in-game Pokemon. And hey, competitively, it got better and better over the generations, gaining both Water Absorb and Swift Swim in Gen 3, Air Slash and Scald in Gen 5, and then getting better because of Defog and getting the HP boost in Gen 7, finally making it somewhat OU viable.

Last edited:

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
Show of hands, how many people regularly forget Kingler has a Gigantimax form?

My hand is currently raised, by the way. Yes, right now, as you're reading this sentence.

:ss/kingler-gmax:

It's a shame, because it looks gnarly, and that bubble moustache and beard are majestic. It just never got any marketing or in-game showcase.
That's an irony as it is one of the Gen 1 G-Max forms. What's adding insult to injury is that Galarian Mr. Mine and it's evolution, Mr. Rime - but especially Mr. Rime - had quite a following despite Mr. Rime only appearing in a blink-and-miss showcase before Sword and Shield's release.

No denying that the G-Max form of Kingler is a big improvement, with the bubbly moustache fitting the name.

As of mine, a Legendary I would consider underrated would be Palkia. I get the design comes off as unfortunate, but beyond that, Palkia felt more of a rejected brother despite Giratina being banished to the Distorted World. Sure, it got the limelight with Cyrus for Pokémon EX Masters, but other than that, here are circumstances where Dialga and Giratina (and other Legends with at least one matched type) have over Palkia;
  • Better defensive typing and actual stat boost without relying on Z-Crystals (or whereas Z-Moves are not possible) or, in Giratina's case, usage of Griseous Orb.
  • Dialga having the top billing in PMD: Explorer of Darkness / Time / Sky and have a form called Primal Dialga (not to be confused with Primal Reversion forms), while Palkia is restricted to post-game. Though on the bright side, Palkia's action in the end did ultimately stopped Darkrai in the long run.
  • Dialga being involved in Giratina and the Sky Warrior, where Palkia is not involved at all. At least Palkia do come back alongside the other two Creation Trio members in Arceus and the Jewel of Life as expected.
  • Between Palkia and Kyogre, Kyogre ends up beign superior by virtue of Drizzle. Palkia also become massively pressured by Primal Groudon.
  • It also doesn't have anything that give it an edge over other Dragon-type Legendary, aside of Z-Heal Block during Gen 7. Even with the existence of Zacian though, it gets a strong comeback in Gen 8 Ubers due to Primal Groudon not being there. It also enjoys a strong presence of VGC because of matching well with AND against Kyogre. Surprisingly same goes for with and against Zacian (resists Behemoth Blade and Max Quake is likely to OHKO Crowned Zacian).
One thing Palkia does have over the other two is having a better Signature Move overall - namely Spatial Rend is not a recharge move nor a two-turn move despite being less powerful in comparison (though increased crit rate helps). Shadow Force can be fun to use in-game and can penetrate Protect, but otherwise not something to seriously consider at all times in competitive.

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Cryogonal is a Pokemon that I really like but is often forgotten about/overlooked. It gets disliked by some people for being one of those inanimate object Pokemon, but to me that's also what makes it such a cool Pokemon. Yes, it's a snowflake, but when you look at it lore-wise and in terms of design it's just a Pokemon that I really, really like. I adore Vanilluxe because of how adorable it is (and how clever that design is, though I might get to it later), but Cryogonal is just such a neat Pokemon in its own right. Snowflakes are something that are considered particularly beautiful, especially because they are such fascinating things, especially from a geometric standpoint. Snowflakes are stemmed from water, and freeze into a hexagonal shape due to water's chemical structure, often times perfectly hexagonal and geometric, but at other times may end up varying because of other conditions.

There's just something remarkably appealing about how Cryogonal is so perfectly geometrical, perfectly hexagonal and just makes it visually appealing to look at. But what really makes it interesting is that it is such a dark, creepy twist on a thing that is considered to be beautiful. I mean if you look at Cryogonal, while it looks like a snowflake, its face just looks rather sinister. Its eyes and the way they are shaped are rather creepy looking, and the mouth is honestly scary and intimidating. Cryogonal based on its looks and color is actually some sort of mysterious organism wearing the skin of a snowflake: that in itself is neat! The lore based on its Pokedex entries is also pretty dark: like a snowflake, Cryogonal is born from water molecules in the sky, and it can only sustain itself at low temperatures. It's an organism that melts and vaporizes at high temperatures and then solidifies, but when it does, it's actually a carnivore. It uses the ice-chain mouth it has to tangle up living things with its mouth, freezes the organisms solid, and then proceeds to eat them. That's honestly a really creepy thing: it's so alien and otherworldly in that it's formed as an organism from water molecules in snow clouds, comes to life, solidifies, then comes down to the world to eat things alive, especially killing them in a rather cruel way, then vaporizes when it gets warm, in other words going back into a gas form to sustain itself, waiting for the opportunity for it to get cold again and then hunt for more prey.

It's just an incredibly alien and a Pokemon that seems like it's from another world entirely, yet at the same time both beautiful and twisted. I'm very glad it's coming back in Crown Tundra, and I especially look forward to seeing new Pokedex entries for Cryogonal in the Crown Tundra Pokedex to see what more lore they come up with for it. Also, when you look at it, it also looks like a 80's arcade game boss sprite, which is also prety neat imo. Its rather creepy look would make it a perfect candidate for a movie villain in the Pokemon world, having movies that star Cryogonal as the antagonist, maybe even with antagonistic Trainers using them! (Team Plasma in BW2 played this straight as they used rather dark Pokemon like Bisharp, Weavile, and of course, Cryogonal!).

Battle-wise while it's not a competitive superstar by any means, it's pretty usable in-game. Its poor physical bulk really, really sucks, and it's an extraordinarily rare encounter, but from the point you get it it's immediately usable and has some neat tricks up its sleeve. It's pretty fast, has great special bulk, and decent Special Attack as well as Ice Beam and Flash Cannon. It's immediately solid against Brycen because of Flash Cannon in BW1, and later its Ice typing is great against Drayden/Iris. It also later will have decent matchups against Caitlin's Sigilyph, Shauntal's Golurk, and Ghetsisis's Cofagrigus and especially that damned Hydreigon. Cryogonal also has Light Screen+Reflect which gives it utility in-game as a fast screens setter, being able to quickly summon both screens for the team which is nice, and its naturally high Speed also outpaces both Haxorus and Hydreigon, which is nice to kill them fast when you face them in-game, especially Ghetsis's Hydreigon. Cryogonal has enough special bulk there to endure a Fire Blast/Focus Blast, and it's still usable post-game too, even though Vanilluxe tends to be overall better on that front.

Just a pretty cool and underrated gem of a Pokemon imo. It's unfortunate that it has a very shallow movepool and is still dragged down battle wise by the flaws of the Ice-type, but conceptually it's a neat Pokemon and it's still a usable Pokemon in-game in its own right (and it's decent in Lower tiers because of Rapid Spin+fast and good Ice STAB, which will probably be the case again when it returns ahaha).

First up:

:sm/Samurott:
Samurott
Samurott is a Pokemon I haven't always liked. Generally I preferred Dewott a lot more, and I still wish Samurott was a bit more like him, but I've recently grown to love this dude. I really like the colors going on. The nice gold shell armor to the amazing blue for his body. He has a dope mustache and beard, and just looks tough as nails. But what really solidified him as my favorite water type is his Swords. Yeah, he uses Swords. Look at his model in Pokemon Home and he just pulls out a huge fucking sword out of nowhere and it looks awesome. I think he'd be in contention for my second favorite Pokemon (Dragonite will always reign supreme) if he did follow more design beats from Dewott, most notably being bipedal, but as it stands he's still in my top 10 (as if that's a bad thing)

And second:
:ss/Eiscue:

Eiscue
Eiscue isn't a Pokemon I like nearly as much as Samurott, and I wouldn't say he's that close to being in my top 10, but he's still really cool (pun not intended, I'm terrible at describing things so I use "cool" alot). A lot of people think he's a lazy design because it's just a penguin with an ice cube head. And yes, I agree it's a way simpler design than most Pokemon, but I think it works in it's favor. A lot of Pokemon nowadays are somewhat complex in design, and while I prefer the complex to the overly simple (I'd rather have a busy design than Exeggute), I still think you need a good balance. And I feel like Eiscue has a simple design that's still endearing and neat. Like I said Eiscue isn't a Pokemon I like as much as others, but I think he gets way too much hate.

Last edited:
im a weezing stan so him lol. i know the anime gave him attention but god do i love my bulky boy lol

i really enjoyed the times ive used sluggoo, miltank, zangoose, lanturn, slaking and primeape (mainly cus thats the joke in my family, my pops is slaking, my brother is primeape, my sister is wigglytuff, and im gengar - personalities match for each tooooo much lol)

sorry not for an *extensive* write up, lil late after working all day... but i tend to like Mons that are built around the "semi-all arounder" starter (obv compensating for ones that aint to some extent) and i have at least 1-2 bulky mons, and everyone else is either a fun Mon I make useful or "i dont necessarily (but not always) wanna be hit" but attackers.
some my bulks ones tend to be stallers/supporters anyway if i need that PLAYTHROUGH WISE

havent been comeptitive for awhile but even there i am a big fan of "idc if you hit me first, cus ill eat it and see what you are planning" type Mons.
Perhaps my fav Mon ever being Weezing (despite certain obv weaknesses) made me that way lol

Aromatisse is one I feel gets overlooked whenever it’s not poked fun at for its design. I used one in Y because I wanted to use the new Fairy type, and it did not disappoint. With my eventual move set of Calm Mind/Draining Kiss/Moonblast/Psychic, the thing was an absolute tank.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Merged with the other thread about the same subject. It has been less than a year or so since the last post in it, so I figured we could just revive the old one.

Most underrated Pokemon imo:

1628369512666.png

A giant and intimidating scorpion. Just for this, I don't get why it isn't more popular among cool and intimidating Pokemon fans. Always been pretty decent in competitive battling with its Sword Dance set despite it lacks of power and its meh abilities.

1628370859532.png

There is a ninja poisonous frog who can kill its opponents just with one single scratch. Same with Drapion, pretty descent in strategy, despites it's downhill he's going through because of power creep. Good movepool, also playable with setup moves, many useful resistances but poor bulk.

1628371543700.png

That's when I saw Truegreen7's video "What is the perfect Pokemon" I've realized how awesome Darmanitan is. Charismatic, great concept, lore, origins, hitting like a truck (both forms are good), two forms (despites the fact that Zen-mode forms aren't played a lot)... seriously, why this Pokemon isn't more popular ?

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
Spr 5b 197.png

I already gave Umbreon some love in this thread, and while it is obviously popular because it's an Eeveelution, I don't see people talk about it much for in-game playthroughs, which is a shame because I think it's pretty good. It's got great bulk and interesting tools, but people seem to not be drawn to it because it's a defensive Pokémon and you tend to have more interesting Dark options available.

I feel like we've had a ton of these types of threads lately, but what the heck, here are some of mine (yet again):

:bw/grumpig:
It's honestly a shame that Grumpig has to play second fiddle to about 10 other Psychic-types at any given time, because it's actually pretty good in just about every game it's available in. It has decent enough stats for in-game purposes, levels up quickly (800,000 Exp. Points to reach Level 100), and has a large and impressive movepool. Black 2 is where I think it's at its best, though; it can be caught automatically knowing Psyshock in the Doubles Grass outside Reversal Mountain, and the TMs for Charge Beam and Shadow Ball are both in the same vicinity (and you can also potentially have the TM for Energy Ball at this point as well).

:xy/lumineon:
Oh look, it's that fish that I've been stanning for over the past few months yet again. Check out my post in the thread linked above to see most of what I have to say regarding Lumineon (and 2 other mons that I could have also mentioned here), but I suppose I should add a small update: I've managed to reach a 50-win streak in the Battle Tree with it. The combination of Storm Drain, Tailwind, and Psych Up makes it a surprisingly effective partner for Volcarona or Kommo-o.

I've got another one

:sm/Emboar:
Emboar

I stand by the belief that Emboar would've been loved if he didn't get the boring Fire/Fighting typing. This is a great design. One of my favorite things about him is, despite sharing the same typing as the almost as cool Infernape and much worse Blaziken, he still feels unique. While Infernape feels like a speedy, agile fighter, Emboar feels like a tank that will ram into you at full speed and knock your lights out, perfectly reflected in his ability Reckless.

I love whenever a Fire type incorporates actual fire into their design in a good way, something I feel a lot of the Fire starters kinda lack, bar Infernape and Incineroar. Emboar I feel does it the best. He has a fucking fire beard, that's cool as hell. Not to mention I think the colors work really well on him too. Although I do prefer more "simple" designs Emboar is a definite exception. I'd say out of all the starters, he's my second favorite, second to Sceptile. I do wish they gave him a different typing so people would look past the bland Fire/Fighting type and see Emboar for what it really is: A giant fire pig that wrecks shit up

Spr 5b 197.png

I already gave Umbreon some love in this thread, and while it is obviously popular because it's an Eeveelution, I don't see people talk about it much for in-game playthroughs, which is a shame because I think it's pretty good. It's got great bulk and interesting tools, but people seem to not be drawn to it because it's a defensive Pokémon and you tend to have more interesting Dark options available.
No offense, but... I have this little feeling that Vees shouldn't be put in this thread. Even if it is comparatively speaking, Umbreon is the most popular Vee. The past international poll shows this, with it surprisingly beating Sylveon (previously the most popular Vee in Japan XY poll). It's popular with internet emo or something, I guess (sorry, it has bad rep).

This said, people would understandably avoid it in actual story playthrough. At the very least, it is good safety net, but people of course prefer running offensive strikers to be done with the story. That's not unique to it.

I'd actually say Umbreon is among the overrated, although at least not Eevee level of overrated (or the other of unholy trio of GF's starter, Pikachu and Zard).

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
No offense, but... I have this little feeling that Vees shouldn't be put in this thread. Even if it is comparatively speaking, Umbreon is the most popular Vee. The past international poll shows this, with it surprisingly beating Sylveon (previously the most popular Vee in Japan XY poll). It's popular with internet emo or something, I guess (sorry, it has bad rep).

This said, people would understandably avoid it in actual story playthrough. At the very least, it is good safety net, but people of course prefer running offensive strikers to be done with the story. That's not unique to it.

I'd actually say Umbreon is among the overrated, although at least not Eevee level of overrated (or the other of unholy trio of GF's starter, Pikachu and Zard).
Huh. I pay zero attention to those stats, so I didn't know this. Can't say I'm surprised, though. I get why people might think Eeveelutions don't fit in this thread, I just posted about Umbreon because I've never seen anybody here besides me talk about it for playthroughs in-game.

Huh. I pay zero attention to those stats, so I didn't know this. Can't say I'm surprised, though. I get why people might think Eeveelutions don't fit in this thread, I just posted about Umbreon because I've never seen anybody here besides me talk about it for playthroughs in-game.
I'll have to apologise, should I sound not impolite either and couldn't put better words, but....

I believe there's another thread on the general popularity poll. And yes, IIRC there, Umbreon actually edged out Sylveon as 5th and 6th most popular in that poll.
Previously, in Japan XY poll, I think it was 11th (Sylveon was 4th, behind Pikachu, Arceus, and Gekkouga / smogonfrog I forgot EN name of)
Although I don't remember the detail, unofficial reddit (international) poll puts it the highest among Vees with Sylve much lower than it was in XY poll though not necessarily forgotten)
I believe this simply means that not talked in game doesn't mean underrated or forgotten.
I'll have to stand with my opinion, though I don't necessarily hate it per se, and Arceus bless those who love it.

Last edited:
20091106154842!Spr_4h_160.png

Can we talk about my poor boi Gatr here? For starters (ha... pun...), the dude is cursed as a Johto starter, meaning he gets overlooked and unloved. He doesn't have the best stat distribution and while he's gotten some buffs, it's just not been enough (especially with power creep). I haven't consumed the full spectrum of Pokemon media, but I haven't seen Gatr in any real prominent role ever. And finally, to rub even more salt on the wounds, this guy doesn't exist anymore according to Gamefreak and their stupid ass Dexit bullshit.

But make no mistake. I give Gatr the love he needs and deserves... I avenge my favorite.

View attachment 364854
Can we talk about my poor boi Gatr here? For starters (ha... pun...), the dude is cursed as a Johto starter, meaning he gets overlooked and unloved. He doesn't have the best stat distribution and while he's gotten some buffs, it's just not been enough (especially with power creep). I haven't consumed the full spectrum of Pokemon media, but I haven't seen Gatr in any real prominent role ever. And finally, to rub even more salt on the wounds, this guy doesn't exist anymore according to Gamefreak and their stupid ass Dexit bullshit.

But make no mistake. I give Gatr the love he needs and deserves... I avenge my favorite.
In all fairness, the whole line performs very goodly in GSC run, wasn't it? Unlike Chikorita line which doesn't even have that.
However, the Johto trio as a whole are really suffering. Particularly because GF keeps insisting on the Kanto trio. The fire starter being carbon copy of zard really hurt it. Johto being essentially Kanto+ hurt the debuting species there, and it's trio is probably the most forgotten among 8 starter trios.
Gen 3 and 4 trios were often acclaimed and they had their HOENN / SINNOH CONFIRMED memes to back them up.
5 was when the infamous generation wars started, though I think it's now the second most forgotten trio, after 2.
6-8 are modern times and we're not forgetting them in near future (and they've... attracted uh, special demographics)

Arceus bless land of Sinnoh for adopting Cynd line next year in its historical time.
Also, I don't play it, but iirc the trio also can be starter in PMD DX.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Arceus bless land of Sinnoh for adopting Cynd line next year in its historical time.
Meganium also got to be in New Snap and received extremely prominent representation in said game, literally being on the cover of it and being one of the first Pokemon you meet in the game, for what it's worth, in addition to the Cyndaquil line's prominence in the upcoming Legends.

So far Feraligatr hasn't gotten star billing in anything recent yet unlike its other two fellow Johto starters who have finally been getting the spotlight in recent games, whereas Feraligatr hasn't quite gotten star billing in a major game yet. The Johto starters as a whole are pretty overshadowed, but in recent years especially this one and next Meganium and the Cyndaquil line are getting to have star billing in a game thus far.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack

I think just posting this pic would say enough, but I'm going to state the obvious for the sake of posting more than just a pic.

Raichu has the misfortune of being overshadowed by everyone else in its evolution chain. Pikachu for way too many obvious reasons, Pichu because of Baby Pokemon being one of Gen 2's new things and being playable in Smash Bros, and even Alolan Raichu overshadows Original Raichu by being a regional variant with a unique typing. To add insult to injury, Aloan Raichu can come out of Pokeballs in Smash Bros, so Original Raichu is the only one to never be in Smash Bros. Not even as a trophy!

I still think he'd be underrated if he wasn't overshadowed because his stats aren't that good, but I think Raichu looks cool and his animations are cute. The idol animation looks like he wants you to bring it on and when he uses a physical attack he punches and strikes with its tail at the same time. At least he has niches because of Lightning Rod, Fake Out, and Helping Hand.

1629118836924.png

Escavalier!

Yes, with an evolution method that stupid you'd be forgiven for passing it up. But it's actually really good! Slow, but the defensive stats are insane (70/105/105) and Attack equivalent to Excadrill's 135 make for a fun Pokemon, albeit one that needs some babying until Iron Head and X-Scissor. Please try this if you can!

1629119021402.png

Golett!

This one is more straightforward. Late in the game AND was unfortunate to be introduced in the same generation as Drilbur, Sandile, AND Litwick! But, while it definitely is kind of inferior to those it's still a solid Pokemon: STAB EQ, Fly, Shadow Punch - good movepool. Shame BW2 shafted it at Victory Road.

What do Golett and Escavalier have in common? They both hard counter Marshal. Escavalier has Shell Armor Iron Defense to laugh at Throh and Golurk has Iron Defense, Fly, and being immune to Marshal's STAB while being resistant to Stone Edge.

Despite its name, Wormadam-Trash is NOT trash.

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that mon in Pearl, really didn't expect it to be so good on defense while still being good on offense. Might fall off tho, I'll keep you informed.
Can confirm. When I was doing a monosteel playthrough (including pre-evolutions), wormadam helped a lot in the early game especially against Gardenia. Turns out when your only other options are piplup/prinplup and Onix, a double grass resist is real helpful. Though I recall it was pretty much replaced by bronzor when the latter became available.

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
is an Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
I honestly prefer Delphox's design over Braixen's. It's nowhere as feminine looking for a 50/50 male female poke
Delphox is actually one of those 7:1 male to female ‘mons like all the starters, eevee, togepi, and a few others. I do agree that it’s design is actually pretty cool and underrated and an upgrade from Braixen. I think it’s probably that it’s 3d model that you see in-game really does not do it’s design or concept justice. It’s official artwork is a lot more appealing.
1629237868681.png

I kinda disagree that either it or Braixen are particularly feminine looking though. I just don’t really see anything particularly gendered abt either design. Maybe just me though

Also big agree on Delphox, recently I've grown to really like it after seeing more cool art of it. The 3D model makes it look worse but I feel like a lot of Pokemon tend to look better for me in art compared to their models (Greninja, Blaziken, Dragonite - that isn't to say these Pokes have bad 3D models, they just look better in official art, fan art, etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)