5. Team usage tips
6. Threat List
7. Replays
8. Shoutouts
9. Importable
10. Other Teams

11. Outro

1. INTRODUCTION

Hello! It’s Pinkacross, and I’ve got another team. I know it’s been a while since my last major post. I've been busy in my life recently, but I’m returning to the RMT forum and I’ve got even more RMTs I’m cooking up. Umbreon has long been my favorite eeveelution and in my opinion, a very underrated OU pokemon. It offers Heal Bell and Wish Support and the sought-after Ghost resistance. Most importantly, though, it can stop sweepers like crazy. Many people try to make Umbreon into a Specially Defensive wall, since it has such naturally high Special bulk. But its Physical Defense is very good as well, and by fully investing in Physical Defense, Umbreon turns into a fearsome wall able to switch in on Dragonite, Victini, Melmetal, and others. This team is also structured to particularly ruin extremes: HO and Stall. So if you hate matchup fishing, here's a great team for you! I present to you the Lunar Legion!

2. PROOF OF PEAK

This peak was achieved by Storm Zone and I laddering together, boosting his GXE with consistent wins as we went.

3. TEAM + DESCRIPTION

Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

- Foul Play

Role / General Tips
: Umbreon is a cleric, Wish passer, Physical wall, and Ghost resist. Try to not let the Leftovers get Knocked Off, they’re usually very vital to Umbreon functioning. Slowbro can absorb weak Knock Offs very well, and Heatran handles strong Knock Offs and threatens with Flame Body.
Item: Leftovers helps Umbreon gain extra health, especially with Protect.
Moves: Wish and Protect work together to allow Umbreon to heal itself and others. Protect is also useful for scouting. Heal Bell is great for removing Status conditions for the whole team. Finally, Foul Play is an attack that uses the opponent’s attack stat for calculation, making it great at taking down sweepers like Weavile, Kartana, Dragonite, Bisharp, and more.
EVs & Nature: Maximum Physical Defense allows Umbreon to wall Melmetal and stop Physical setup sweepers like Dragonite and Dragapult.
Other Options: You can run Inner Focus over Synchronize to more consistently check Excadrill and Bisharp.
Notable Calcs:

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Umbreon: 166-196 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 Atk Dragonite Dual Wingbeat (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Umbreon: 134-162 (34 - 41.2%) -- approx. 63% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Umbreon: 220-266 (55.9 - 67.6%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Protect

- Stealth Rock

Role / General Tips
: Stealth Rock setter and Physically Defensive wall. Call out U-turns from pokemon like Landorus and Urshifu-Rapid-Strike occasionally to fish for Flame Body, but don’t do this too much or your opponent will catch on.
Item: Leftovers, especially paired with Protect, keeps Heatran healthy throughout the game.
Moves: Lava Plume is a consistently hitting Fire move for Heatran to deal damage and burn. Toxic helps to chip common switchins to Heatran like Landorus, Urshifu-Rapid-Strike, and Dragonite. Protect lets Heatran scout the opponent’s move choice, and gain additional Leftovers health. Stealth Rock is a great move for chipping pokemon throughout the game.
EVs & Nature: Bold Nature with maximum Physical Defense investment helps Heatran wall pokemon like Weavile, Melmetal, and Bisharp.
Other Options: Magma Storm can be run over Lava Plume but I really don’t recommend it, it doesn’t get you much.
Notable Calcs:

+2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Heatran: 282-333 (73.2 - 86.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Weavile Low Kick (120 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Heatran: 340-402 (88.3 - 104.4%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

0 SpA Heatran Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Bisharp: 288-342 (106.2 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Flamethrower / Slack Off
- Teleport
- Scald

- Future Sight

Role / General Tips
: Slowbro is a pivot, Water resist, and Future Sight setter. Pair Future Sight with Kartana to help break balance and bulkier teams.
Item: Heavy Duty Boots allows Slowbro to ignore entry hazards, which is important since it comes in frequently.
Moves: Flamethrower is a nice tech for catching Ferrothorn and Kartana off guard. Teleport is a vital pivoting move with minimum priority, great for getting in Kartana safely. Scald is Slowbro’s main STAB move, and it allows Slowbro to switch in and beat Heatran. Future Sight is an essential breaking move, which when combined with Choice Band Kartana, has no walls.
EVs & Nature: Sassy Nature with minimum Speed lets Slowbro get the slow Teleport on other Slowbro. Maximum Special Defense investment allows Slowbro to handle Volcanion, Heatran, and some sets of Tapu Lele.
Other Options: You can run Slack Off over Flamethrower, this helps with the Rain matchup.
Notable Calcs:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 123-145 (31.2 - 36.8%) -- 77.4% chance to 3HKO

0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Slowbro: 68-80 (17.3 - 20.3%) -- possible 5HKO

0 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 252 HP / 136+ SpD Heatran: 134-158 (34.7 - 40.9%) -- 57.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

- Leaf Blade

Role / General Tips
: Kartana is the breaker. Generally you want to bring it in with a Future Sight up, but it can also break without it. Kartana is often a strong lead that can start off the game by clicking Knock Off on a Landorus-Therian (or something else if they switch) which is great for Tapu Koko. Don’t fear Static or Flame Body as long as the hit is worth it, since Umbreon can always Heal Bell.
Item: Choice Band helps Kartana be an immediate, powerful breaker.
Moves: Knock Off deals significant damage and removes the opponent’s item, and it’s the best way to hit many birds like Tornadus and Zapdos. Sacred Sword hits Steels like Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Corviknight that has already been Knocked Off. Smart Strike is a strong STAB move, mostly for OHKOing Clefable, and hitting Tornadus and Dragonite. Leaf Blade is Kartana’s strongest STAB move, great for hitting Landorus, Toxapex, and sweeping late-game.
EVs & Nature: Jolly is for maximum Speed, investment is for maximum power.
Other Options: Life Orb Swords Dance Kartana can be run, but it is easier to chip and is very difficult for Umbreon to wishpass to.
Notable Calcs:

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 92 Def Tornadus-Therian: 220-259 (60.9 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 151-178 (49.6 - 58.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 226-266 (64.2 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Smart Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 390-458 (98.9 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Tapu Koko @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam

- Calm Mind

Role / General Tips
: Tapu Koko is a sweeper and Speed control. You can bring it in to chip Landorus or Ferrothorn midgame, but generally it’s a late game pokemon.
Item: Heavy Duty Boots let Tapu Koko ignore entry hazards, which it is otherwise very weak to.
Moves: Thunderbolt is a strong, Electric Terrain boosted STAB move great for hitting neutral effective pokemon like Clefable or Melmetal. Dazzling Gleam hits Ground types that are immune to Thunderbolt like Garchomp, Landorus, and Hippowdon. Roost keeps Tapu Koko healthy, especially when setting up with Calm Mind. Calm Mind helps Koko sweep late game and break past pokemon like Clefable, Ferrothorn, and Blissey.
EVs & Nature: Tapu Koko is max Speed and max Special attack to be as effective as Speed control and a wincon as possible.
Other Options: You can run a more conventional U-turn set.
Notable Calcs:

252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 97-115 (25.4 - 30.1%) -- 97.6% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+1 252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 360-426 (100.8 - 119.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- U-turn

- Defog

Role / General Tips
: Landorus is the removal and Electric immunity for the team. It’s also the Volcarona answer, so don’t let Landorus get chipped too much if there’s a Volcarona around.
Item: Leftovers helps Landorus’ longevity throughout the game.
Moves: Earthquake is Landorus’ main STAB move, great for damage, and hitting pokemon like Tapu Koko and Heatran. Toxic helps chip Tornadus, Volcarona, Slowbro, and others. U-turn is great for picking up momentum while dealing solid damage. Defog is vital for removal.
EVs & Nature: Sassy Nature with maximum Special Defense with a minimum Speed IV is designed to always give Landorus the slow U-turn against other Landorus.
Other Options: You could make Landorus faster to help against Heatran, but it’s not really necessary.
Notable Calcs:

252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 88-105 (23 - 27.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 112-133 (29.3 - 34.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and trapping damage

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 189-223 (49.6 - 58.5%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

4. TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

I wanted to build around Umbreon, since it seemed very underrated.

Kartana is a powerful breaker that loves both Wish and Heal Bell support, so it seemed like a great partner.

I wanted to give Kartana Future Sight support, and Slowbro fit well by curing the Heatran weakness.

I added phys def Heatran as a Stealth Rock setter, and a Weavile answer.

I needed a Ground type and removal, so Landorus fit perfectly.

Tapu Koko provided much needed Speed control and an additional wincon.

5. TEAM USAGE TIPS

1. Try not to let Umbreon get Knocked Off.
2. Use Future Sight mid game to break with Kartana.
3. Lead with Kartana often, using Knock Off on Landorus is great.
4. Try to spread Toxic and Knock Off early game.
5. Try to remove hazards, they’re not great for us.
6. Call out U-turns occasionally with Heatran Flame Body, but not too much or you’ll get called out.
7. Focus on gameplan. This team isn’t prediction reliant, although the occasional read is helpful. To win you generally just need a solid game plan and good priorities.
8. Check out the replays section! :)

6. THREAT LIST

Whirlpool Tapu Fini early game is extremely scary. It can be OHKOd by Kartana Leaf Blade, but if you guess wrong your Kartanan is trapped and dies. Tapu Koko is the best answer to this. As for Calm Mind, you often have to predict a Taunt and hope that they don’t attack Kartana when boosted. Once chipped, however, this becomes much less threatening.

Volcarona can be poisoned by Landorus or Heatran, but if both of these options fail you lose. Make sure to have one of them healthy.

7. REPLAYS

(So far these are just my Replays, I’ll add Storm Zone’s, including the game that go to #1, soon.)

Vs Storm Zone: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1576271327-d70zlrhgmmo229bpljuxgx08qxalh2kpw
Vs Keldeo Balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1576247980-sdepte71h3dykk7vwuydxeckdcrqngcpw
Kartana 6-0: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1576246129-1ekdnvxlifxobop3s4bbuofxbmlj2axpw
Vs Pokeaimmd (though I believe CTC was playing): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1532170612-tkstagw8h2k82rtm7yytcuhdwuv0tzlpw
Umbreon Sweeps Ghost Spam: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1532141602-6hx6mgb06xg0amkr53lawiyc1s21u96pw

8. SHOUTOUTS

Huge shoutouts to Storm Zone for helping with the peak and recommending Flame Body Heatran. I was once a doubter, now it’s a favorite set of mine. Also thanks to Tenebricite for helping with testing and the banner!

9. IMPORTABLE

The Team: https://pokepast.es/ded7d631026e07ee

Team with my Nicknames: https://pokepast.es/67c4d04fd796039b

Team with Storm Zone’s Nicknames (and preferred sets): https://pokepast.es/988c50dc1d68317f

10. OTHER TEAMS

Flame Charge Blacephalon Balance - Peaked #1: POSSIBLY OUTDATED DUE TO METAGAME CHANGES
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/blacephalon’s-disco-party-peaked-1-2117-ft-flame-charge-blacephalon.3678209/

Alolan Raichu Balance - Peaked #3: POSSIBLY OUTDATED DUE TO METAGAME CHANGES
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...s-ft-gravity-vanilluxe-hail-tailwind.3693369/
OR

Hail Offense - Peaked #1: POSSIBLY OUTDATED DUE TO METAGAME CHANGES
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ft-alolan-sandslash-alolan-ninetales.3681004/

Regieleki Rain - Peaked #1:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...1-2131-ft-specs-pelipper-barraskewda.3687991/

Galarian Zapdos Hazard Stack - Peaked #1:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...1-2041-90-0-gxe-ft-regieleki-weavile.3691380/

Alakazam Psyspam - Peaked #1: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/alakazam-psyspam-peaked-1-2086-ft-galarian-moltres.3694416/

Nihilego Offense - Peaked #1: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/nihilego-offense-peaked-1-2040-all-100-accurate-moves.3695221/

Porygon-Z Rain - Peaked #1: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...-1-2006-ft-seismitoad-4-choice-items.3696602/

Grass Spam - Peaked #1:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/grass-spam-peaked-1-1972-ft-swampert-bisharp.3699015/

Heliolisk Rain - Peaked #1:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/heliolisk-rain-peaked-1-2090.3699610/

11. OUTRO

Thanks to all those who read this far, and I hope you enjoy the team! Also, please join the war on Stall by using anti-stall teams like this. Here’s an anti-Stall post I made that tells you how to fight it and Stall proof your teams: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...usage-stats-in-post-3539.3672210/post-9164974

Last edited:
Can’t wait to see this take over the ladder, but I feel like you lack speed. lol being your fastest Mon means that most any scarfer can force predicts, especially later in the game when your defensive strength is lowered and r since both your Pokémon with recovery are weak to bug U-turn becomes very strong. The HO match up seems even tougher if they have multiple Pokémon that can boost speed. Just my thoughts at first glance, haven’t played it yet

Can’t wait to see this take over the ladder, but I feel like you lack speed. lol being your fastest Mon means that most any scarfer can force predicts, especially later in the game when your defensive strength is lowered and r since both your Pokémon with recovery are weak to bug U-turn becomes very strong. The HO match up seems even tougher if they have multiple Pokémon that can boost speed. Just my thoughts at first glance, haven’t played it yet
Well at first glance tapu koko may seem to be insufficient speed control but it's the fourth fastest mon behind dragapult regieleki and zeroara, and he has lando and umbreaon for those, plus koko can check them to varying degrees itself.

and i think u turn spam was accounted for with Stealth rocks flame body tran

We have Heatran for U-Turn. The threat of scarfers is severely weakened by having two Protect pokemon. As for the HO matchup, we RUIN HO. Most HO teams are terrible against Umbreon and I think I have yet to lose to HO with this team. The team is slow compared to most, this is true. However, it is also much bulkier than most. The bulkier a team is, the less solid its Speed control needs to be, so having Koko as our only speed control will rarely be an issue for this team. Try it out, you'll see. :)

Umbreon is one of my favorite Pokemon, and I'm glad to see a build with this.

I have one question though. Since Slowbro is specially defensive, why not use Slowking instead?

Love the Koko and Heatran build, I've had a great time using this team on the ladder. Thanks a lot for the anti-stall guide, I'll be using that as a reference to anti-offense proof my stall teams. :pip:
Hahaha unfortunately that won't quite work. Stall is forced to run a few things, and to adjust a stall team to check things that are normally extremely threatening to stall (even if you only focused on one or two things from my list), it leads to stalls being worse against basically everything else. The war on stall is basically a test of how willing people are to stallproof their teams. Stall has no army, no backup plans, no secret list to make them stronger. Your fate depends entirely on whether antistallers decide to rise up or not. :pip: P.S. I'm glad you like the team! :D

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Ay another great RMT from the great pinka. I remember a previous version of this had torn-t/volcarona over heatran/koko. The result is that your SD kartana matchup has become much more shaky. Tapu koko cannot revenge kill a healthy kartana, umbreon and heatran will die to +2 sacred sword unless they are very healthy and you're fighting pads not LO. Your own kartana can win a speed tie but that's not an answer either.

Your nihilego matchup is also pretty scary. If it gets off a meteor beam vs heatran, umbreon, or slowbro, then your koko is slower and dies to sludge wave and kartana is slower and dies to +1 power gem (+1 252 SpA Nihilego Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana: 229-270 (88.4 - 104.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). Landorus-t can tank a hit but that mon is very easy to wear down, and nihilego teams will have partners to force that. And this is assuming the meteor beam set with speed beast boost, something like specs nihilego will easily click power gem vs heatran/slowbro/koko/umbreon and your rock resist is kartana.

One way to fix the kartana issue is to go choice specs on koko. Specs tbolt in eterrain will kill non timid kartana from full. That results in less longevity for koko, but I don't think you need it. You have sdef slowbro to switch into utility torn-t and you have a few options for opposing zapdos like landing a toxic with heatran/lando-t then stalling with umbreon.

As for nihilego, the easiest way to improve that matchup is by dropping protect on heatran and going earth power or heavy slam. This allows both lando and heatran to beat it 1v1 if healthy. Specs is a tough set to handle but thankfully that's rare :]

Now then, we're going to have to bench that cb golurk team we made for a while, I can't be running into phys def umbreon on the ladder.

Ay another great RMT from the great pinka. I remember a previous version of this had torn-t/volcarona over heatran/koko. The result is that your SD kartana matchup has become much more shaky. Tapu koko cannot revenge kill a healthy kartana, umbreon and heatran will die to +2 sacred sword unless they are very healthy and you're fighting pads not LO. Your own kartana can win a speed tie but that's not an answer either.

Your nihilego matchup is also pretty scary. If it gets off a meteor beam vs heatran, umbreon, or slowbro, then your koko is slower and dies to sludge wave and kartana is slower and dies to +1 power gem (+1 252 SpA Nihilego Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana: 229-270 (88.4 - 104.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock). Landorus-t can tank a hit but that mon is very easy to wear down, and nihilego teams will have partners to force that. And this is assuming the meteor beam set with speed beast boost, something like specs nihilego will easily click power gem vs heatran/slowbro/koko/umbreon and your rock resist is kartana.

One way to fix the kartana issue is to go choice specs on koko. Specs tbolt in eterrain will kill non timid kartana from full. That results in less longevity for koko, but I don't think you need it. You have sdef slowbro to switch into utility torn-t and you have a few options for opposing zapdos like landing a toxic with heatran/lando-t then stalling with umbreon.

As for nihilego, the easiest way to improve that matchup is by dropping protect on heatran and going earth power or heavy slam. This allows both lando and heatran to beat it 1v1 if healthy. Specs is a tough set to handle but thankfully that's rare :]

Now then, we're going to have to bench that cb golurk team we made for a while, I can't be running into phys def umbreon on the ladder.
Good points, but you have made a slight error on your Nihilego analysis. To get a speed boost, Nihilego must run 176 attack, giving it a 37% chance to OHKO Kartana after Stealth Rock. Pressuring Nihilego is also relatively easy, since denying a Speed boost is as simple as tanking a Meteor Beam, which every pokemon on the team can do except Koko and Kart, swapping to Slowbro, which easily tanks a power gem into a sludge wave (although depending on the Power Gem role you may have to watch out for Grass Knot), and then Teleport into Kartana. Furthermore, a +1 Tapu Koko, Kartana, Slowbro, or Landorus being on the field denies Nihilego a sweep firmly. As for Umbreon, you can click Wish on the Meteor Beam, go into Slowbro, Teleport, and get in Kartana without a Speed Boost from Nihilego. If the opponent predicts your switch, Slowbro lives a +2 Meteor Beam from Nihilego.

Running Earth Power or Heavy Slam on Heatran is definitely a viable option, although I personally prefer Protect and don't see Nihilego as too much of a threat.

As for Kartana, you're right that if certain SD Kartana sets are played well, we can simply lose. Fortunately, a Kartana setting up is very difficult. The only pokemon Kartana can get an SD up on is Slowbro, whose Scald comfortably puts Kartana into Thunderbolt range from Tapu Koko. Should more difficult circumstances arrive, you can also switch between Landorus and Heatran and threaten to click Earthquake or get a Flame Body burn. As for Timid Kartana, that set sucks... Umbreon lives +2 Life Orb Sacred Sword and OHKOs in return.

As for your recommendation of Specs Koko, while it sounds good on paper, I've used the team extensively and I don't believe this would help the team. We're already quite weak to hazards, with Landorus, Umbreon, and Heatran taking 12%. Without Boots Koko, I fear that issue would become too great.

Thank you for the rate, and yes I suppose we'd better bench our boi Golurk for a bit...

I've had a lot of fun with this team the last couple days. The only change I made was making Koko Modest. With Sp Def Lando to help with opposing Koko and Umbreon for Dragonite I found the extra damage to be worth the lower speed tier to deal with opposing Kartana.

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 56-66 (21.6 - 25.4%) -- 99.4% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Landorus-Therian U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 56-66 (21.6 - 25.4%) -- 98.8% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana in Electric Terrain: 183-216 (70.6 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana in Electric Terrain: 201-237 (77.6 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With a minimum roll from Kartana or Lando's chip you have a 93.8% chance to KO. You also have a 81.3% chance to get enough chip from one of the two attacks to KO with a min roll from Modest Koko.

I've had a lot of fun with this team the last couple days. The only change I made was making Koko Modest. With Sp Def Lando to help with opposing Koko and Umbreon for Dragonite I found the extra damage to be worth the lower speed tier to deal with opposing Kartana.

252 Atk Choice Band Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 56-66 (21.6 - 25.4%) -- 99.4% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Landorus-Therian U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 56-66 (21.6 - 25.4%) -- 98.8% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana in Electric Terrain: 183-216 (70.6 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana in Electric Terrain: 201-237 (77.6 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With a minimum roll from Kartana or Lando's chip you have a 93.8% chance to KO. You also have a 81.3% chance to get enough chip from one of the two attacks to KO with a min roll from Modest Koko.
The issue with doing that is being outsped by Jolly Weavile, among others, something Koko is intended to check. Your only counterplay otherwise is Heatran, and once that goes down and you don't manage to burn it (which will likely not happen most times, especially in matchups where you need to keep Heatran healthy) it can effectively 6-0 you very quickly. Changes made around Modest Koko are also structurally unsound, so I don't recommend this change.

The issue with doing that is being outsped by Jolly Weavile, among others, something Koko is intended to check. Your only counterplay otherwise is Heatran, and once that goes down and you don't manage to burn it (which will likely not happen most times, especially in matchups where you need to keep Heatran healthy) it can effectively 6-0 you very quickly. Changes made around Modest Koko are also structurally unsound, so I don't recommend this change.
Oops you’re right. The OU speed tiers thread only has 2 spreads for Koko so I thought the slower one was modest.

I've run into this team a few times on an alt at mid-ladder, and that Umbreon honestly scared me at team preview! I love to see it.

I do think the likes of Nidoking and Nihilego happen to have a decent matchup here, as does the Timid SD Kartana set I've been playing with, although you have ways of pressuring all of the above as you've mentioned. Your specially defensive Landorus even has a chance of surviving an Ice Beam from a Scarfed Nidoking, and Nido obviously fears Slowbro.

I'd still be personally tempted to replace Protect on Heatran with either Earth Power or Taunt to discourage setup and recovery, but I can see why that wouldn't be necessary here. I'm sure this depends quite a lot more on the player and level of play than anything, but a predicted Protect being taken advantage of can turn the tables surprisingly quickly.

I honestly haven't had any trouble trying the team out for myself yet though. Love the team composition here, it's so satisfying to see such a nicely balanced spread play out so perfectly. I also just really like that Umbreon is getting a chance to prove itself capable not only outside of stall, but in direct opposition to it!

also, this team has a really nice colour palette. very good job

Hello, everyone.
After a 10 year break i started playing pokemon again.

For the last 2 weeks I've tested different sample teams on Pokemon Showdown and gained some initial experience.
But this team is my favorite.

Thanks for that <3

I'm not currently playing to climb the ladder here, just for my practical experience.

I can't beat Water Urshifu with this team.
The biggest and also second biggest and third biggest problem is Urshifu....
It completely destroys me.

But in the description of the team, he is only mentioned very slightly.
Could someone please explain to me how to play against the Water Urshifu in a practical battle situation?
Urshifu is the killer for me right now...

I am currently using the CB Kart version

https://pokepast.es/ded7d631026e07ee

Pls help :)

Hello, everyone.
After a 10 year break i started playing pokemon again.

For the last 2 weeks I've tested different sample teams on Pokemon Showdown and gained some initial experience.
But this team is my favorite.

Thanks for that <3

I'm not currently playing to climb the ladder here, just for my practical experience.

I can't beat Water Urshifu with this team.
The biggest and also second biggest and third biggest problem is Urshifu....
It completely destroys me.

But in the description of the team, he is only mentioned very slightly.
Could someone please explain to me how to play against the Water Urshifu in a practical battle situation?
Urshifu is the killer for me right now...

I am currently using the CB Kart version

https://pokepast.es/ded7d631026e07ee

Pls help :)
Tapu koko one shots with tbolt, and so does kartana with leaf blade though of course it won't usually stay in.

So Slowbro, even when spdef still avoids a 2hko from anything band urshifu can do bar u-turn, which can never 2hko for obvious reasons, and tpunch. T punch can take it out under your own electric terrain from under 88%, so be mindful of that. tpunch otherwise can 2hko, but if it's choice locked you switch out into your ground or other things that can take it which the other mons here can. so make sure you keep slowbro healthy.

if you think they will u-turn you can go tran on it but do this sparingly and cautiously.

Surging strikes makes scouting with Protect difficult, so be careful with that.

Tapu koko one shots with tbolt, and so does kartana with leaf blade though of course it won't usually stay in.

So Slowbro, even when spdef still avoids a 2hko from anything band urshifu can do bar u-turn, which can never 2hko for obvious reasons, and tpunch. T punch can take it out under your own electric terrain from under 88%, so be mindful of that. tpunch otherwise can 2hko, but if it's choice locked you switch out into your ground or other things that can take it which the other mons here can. so make sure you keep slowbro healthy.

if you think they will u-turn you can go tran on it but do this sparingly and cautiously.

Surging strikes makes scouting with Protect difficult, so be careful with that.
Ok that's interesting.

I hadn't seen that looking at the movesets and stats.
But that's probably because of my lack of experience ^^

thanks <3

Last edited:

SetsuSetsuna

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Team Rater Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Hey Pinka. So with the rise of Blaziken since this RMT was made I was wondering if you had any advice for how to deal with it. It's specially threatening as it can come in on 2 key mons in Heatran and Umbreon. Slowbro can ofc handle the Protect variants, but what about Knock Off or TPunch. Would you consider worthy to go mix Lando so it can take a Flare Blitz?

Hey Pinka. So with the rise of Blaziken since this RMT was made I was wondering if you had any advice for how to deal with it. It's specially threatening as it can come in on 2 key mons in Heatran and Umbreon. Slowbro can ofc handle the Protect variants, but what about Knock Off or TPunch. Would you consider worthy to go mix Lando so it can take a Flare Blitz?
Not a bad idea, Blaziken is pretty big nowadays.

Good question. First, it can bluff being defensive. Secondly, I still want Slowbro to have enough defense to switch into Barraskewda and Urshifu-Rapid-Strike.
Bro i am looking into trying the team, btw im Holy Peperoni and just made my first post!!! Would you mind looking into it sometime pls?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)