Multi Gen Ubers Player of the Week · [Week #6: Nayrz]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by Sweep
Based on other Player of the Week threads
Co-hosted by Gunner Rohan

Art by NicoReaper

Welcome everyone to Ubers Player of the Week! This'll be a weekly project where Gunner Rohan and I interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. If anyone has any suggestions on who Gunner / I should interview, feel free to shoot us a PM. Anyways, lets get to it!

Nayrz

Favorite Pokemon(s):

Linoone

What would you say you're most known for?

Most likely analysis writing and other C&C work, but I've also been a 3 time finalist (once as manager, that counts right?) of the VERY prestigious Ubers Premier League. Or maybe I'm just known as one of the mods, I've never really heard much about myself from others to really say "that's what i'm known for"
Tell us a little about yourself.

I'm a 20 year old dude from Scotland living the lazy student life until the next school year starts - i'm working my way towards a career in the computing industry but have 0 idea what to "specialize" in as of yet. I spend a lot of time on video games and chatting away on IRC/PS! to everyone in my spare time. I'm a huge fan of electronic music but can listen to a lot of genres without complaints.

How did you choose the name Nayrz?

Its just my name backwards with a Z at the end. I have no idea how but nobody has ever made the connection without straight up asking me the origins of my username. Best theory I heard was that it was somehow related to "Naysayers" back in XY but I don't remember who said it :( I went by terrible usernames like most under 16s but ended up settling on Nayrz for most things not long before I started competitive mons. Its pronounced "N-air-z" as an answer to a popular question. My username gets typo'd at least once a day!

How and when did you get into the Ubers community?

I was originally a huge CoD/console player and was the teenager that watched the youtube videos back in their ""prime"". This was around mid 2013 and at the time I didn't have a computer capable of playing PC games. During this time I watched BlameTruth who slowly shifted away from CoD and towards using Showdown on a secondary channel. Being the nostalgic kinda dude and realizing "wow, these guys play with legendaries like its nothing" I hopped onto the site and had 0 idea what anything was. Being too clueless about competitive mons outside of youtube videos and how the tiers worked I started playing Ubers. I found the PS chatroom and met with all the XY guys that know me today. After a lot of shitposting, battling, and meeting cool guys I eventually found myself really loving the place and kept coming back. Melee Mewtwo gave me voice in the room later on and I then felt like I should start posting on the forums, then I eventually heard of C&C and thought I should better my writing while also contributing to the site. I also got drafted to the Drizzlers by MM2 in UPL 2 where I was then introduced to IRC, and things just went from there.

Which generation of Ubers is your favorite and why?

I enjoyed my XY days but looking back at the teams I made (I still have them in my builder!) and seeing UPL 2 replays I question if I was actually good at it. My better teams were collaborations with MM2 where we made things like Toxic Spikes + Mega Kangaskhan (I think we were first? if not, one of the original teams was made by us) as well as created the abomination known as Rest Geomancy Xerneas, which could have potentially cheesed Steeljackal in a UPL match but I played it terribly and got a LITTLE unlucky. ORAS isn't exactly the worst that I can imagine current gen Ubers being (see: before Mega Rayquaza ban) but it does experience centralization to an entirely new degree. Somehow we still have occasional meta shifts which still surprises me honestly.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?

I like my bulkier offense teams, or at least balance that doesn't force a reactive playstyle by using mostly unthreatening mons. Reactive teams in general will just get rolled by competent players with good teams in ORAS as you are always on the back foot. Really enjoying Deoxys-A balance atm though. I made a fun (subjective) version of it myself that I'll post at the end - it isn't exactly meta changing... but its FUN.

If you could change two things in any generation of Ubers, what would they be?

Only things I'd change would have been doing something about Baton Pass in XY and get the memories of Swagger GeoXern outta my head...aaaaaaaaaaa

Your UPL team DaReal Drizzlers had a solid run reaching finals this year. How was your experience as manager? Do you intend to manage again?

After spending 2 years in the Drizzlers channel I decided to take up the task as manager after the ban of the fallen angel, rather than let the Drizzlers die out. Managing was an amazing time and I'll happily do it again. I brought some new guys into the spotlight and with the channel's constant discussion and being surrounded with great players I imagine they got a lot out of it. One thing that is weird about managing though... you feel just as nervous watching your own players as you would if you were the one playing, probably due to how you have no control or influence over the match once its started. Picking between people is also difficult and it can feel bad to be forced to pick someone over another, but that's how it is I suppose.

You've been working as an Ubers C&C moderator for quite some time now. What motivates you to keep
contributing so much to this section of Ubers?

My main focus was to better my own writing while also putting my knowledge into the site's dex to help other new guys out. I also had the motivation to consistently chase mods and QC to get things going. Once I became a moderator I still felt that way, because after spending so much time contributing to it, I wanted to make sure it keeps on running smoothly. I still write analyses!

Do you still remember your first Ubers analysis? If you do, what was it?

My way into C&C was actually in early 2014, doing the shitmons that nobody really cared about. I felt that they at least deserved an analysis that properly explained why they were so terrible and give a set that -potentially- works, although some mons just are that terrible. I also saw it as "taking one for the team", as it let the better writers of that time get working on the important mons. The good ones were usually badgeholder only anyway. My first two analyses were Arceus-Ice and regular Deoxys. Iceceus was a true shitter in XY compared to its niche in ORAS. I did Arceus-Fire shortly afterwards. Reading over these analyses again i definitely see how my quality has changed for the better when compared to my newer write ups.

Do you have any favorite games that you've played?

I've been playing games for like...forever. I'd probably end up with a long ass post just based on the classics so I'll settle for what I tend to play outside of mons these days - Overwatch, Rocket League and an assortment of single player games... god bless the steam sales.

If this is referring to competitive mons games then all my UPL matches were memorable in their own way and taught me a lot. As for an actual replay here is a match (not UPL, fun tour iirc) against Melee Mewtwo and his barrel of fun, where I first showcased the almighty Misty Terrain Xerneas.

Who are some of your favorite people in the Smogon/Ubers community?

That would be a pretty big list... I can (and do) get along with anyone that doesn't talk to me with their head up their ass. I have a lot of respect for the Ubers players that came before my time such as Sweep, Fireburn, dice, Hack and Melee Mewtwo as they have all supported me as I was starting out. Shoutouts to all those I chat with on IRC (especially #dodriobrate) and PS though - both platforms have done a lot for me as a person as well as forum user and its an amazing thing to experience.

Do you have any advice to newer users getting into Ubers?

My advice is a little different to what I commonly see being suggested. Smogon has as many social avenues as it does battling avenues. The "way into Smogon" isn't just to spam ladder, git gud and win some tours afterwards. You can meet people and make friends, and also contribute to Smogon / competitive mons without being some godlike Smogon Tour winner. Naturally being half decent at battling is the ideal starting point, but you don't have to be SPL material or even have an interest in tournaments at all to make your time on Smogon worthwhile. Many new users get hung up on trying to be the best and letting their abrasive 'tournament-bred' attitudes rule their relations with other people they meet on the forums and PS, and it certainly hurts them in the short and long run. Battling isn't everything, not even close.

Lastly, could you provide us with a team of yours?

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 212 HP / 28 Def / 224 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Misty Terrain
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Geomancy

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish

Dialga @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock

Deoxys-Attack @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Extreme Speed

Arceus @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake

[17:29] Hack: yea the misty is honestly pretty cool

This is a new team I made that uses Misty Terrain to assist nearly all its mons in tearing shit up. For those unaware, Misty Terrain stops status for 5 turns similar to Safeguard, so in practical terms, this means that nobody can be paralyzed or hit with Toxic for a while which can REALLY fuck up balance teams and give 5 turns of mayhem. If you Misty as Klefki comes in on Xerneas then it can't do anything and shit starts dying. Primal Groudon can set up boosts a little safer without worrying about a supportceus hitting it with Toxic. Another mechanic behind Misty Terrain is that Dragon-type moves used against grounded Pokemon are 50% weaker, even if the user isn't affected by Misty Terrain itself (Latios, Latias, Giratina-O). Salamence can also avoid status and take less from Dragon-type attacks if it uses Roost but practical use of that is limited. Misty generally functions in a more up front way to Aromatherapy, which is more reactive. I even used it way back in XY Ubers but it never caught on, understandably. Dialga is the SR and Mence check as well as Defog pressure. Deo-A is the bane of HO. Ekiller is pretty standard and fits well. Salamence is less pressured to run Facade or Refresh thanks to Misty Terrain making it easier for others to take status, and can run EQ to catch out those that assume Rock/Steel-types are safe checks now, but it can be changed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again to Nayrz for taking out time to complete this interview.:heart:
Ask him any questions you have below!​

Last edited:
Favourite BL2/BLPS/KF/KF2 Classes?
Assassin/Enforcer/Sharpshooter/Firebug, although i've not played KF2 in forever... terribly done game that i regret supporting
Your favourite Uber analysis to do?
To do? I'm not entirely sure as analyses aren't exactly the pinnacle of entertainment to write... I am happy with how my Rayquaza revamp turned out though after all the time writing it so I'll go with that.
(Also, Misty Terrain doesn't protect Mence as far as I remember :x)
I actually looked into this and did tests on PS with Fireburn and found that you are right, which is largely a downside for Salamence's case. We also realized that Dragons with Levitate aren't immune to having their Draco Meteors weakened by Misty Terrain either - its based on if the Pokemon being hit by the Dracos is grounded that determines if they take less damage, not the Pokemon using it. This means that Salamence can potentially Roost stall Dialga out of Draco PP, although a smart player will avoid clicking it more than once while Misty is up... this can lead to mind games that heavily favor the Dialga. Salamence has to predict Draco usage (and has to be near full HP WHILE grounded aka roost at full to stand a chance of taking the first Draco) then Roost accordingly, and EQ on turns that Dialga uses something else. If Mence fails a predict on a single turn then it probably loses. On the bright side you can always switch to Pdon without losing like 70+% of your HP to Draco, and I'd probably avoid attempting to 1v1 Dialga with Salamence unless you have balls of steel.

tl;dr Salamence is largely unaffected by Misty Terrain compared to what I previously thought but weaker enemy Dracos are situationally useful for the rest of the team. I edited the team description to better reflect things.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Step up or step down?

What's a better date: fancy dance party or late night coffee at a brasserie / pastry shop?

Three least favorite English words?

If you were forced to dye your hair an unnatural hair color, what color would you pick?

What are some of the prettiest female names to you?

Can you post three pictures of girls you find physically attractive?

Can you suggest five electronica songs that I would probably like? (I prefer more complex and less chill)

Thoughts on what you've seen of Pokemon Reborn?

If you were forced to get a namechange what would you go with?

What are your complete thoughts on the Fairy typing in regards to Ubers in XY?

Do you have any ideas for better representing Ubers in official tournaments?

Will the Drizzlers ever not get haxed out of a tournament win?

Who would win in a fight: BKC, dice, or MM2?
hmmm

BKC is gonna get teamed up on by dice and MM2, and then it becomes a debate of who can bore the shit out of the other first. mm2 will run out of smash things to talk about whereas dice has entire religions to pick apart. dice wins.

then BKC is given a second life by satan and he brutally murders dice because its a 1v1 while listening to slayer-type music and then goes on to secure world domination.

hail satan
Step up or step down?
step UP
What's a better date: fancy dance party or late night coffee at a brasserie / pastry shop?
my dancing is shit tier, and i do enjoy my late night activities. pastry shop easy.
Three least favorite English words?
smegma (dont google) / fetus / mucus

unlike most of the population i dont get the dislike for "moist"
If you were forced to dye your hair an unnatural hair color, what color would you pick?
i've always had a random desire to see how my hair is in dark blue but... fk that

it also seems to look terrible on other people i see with it irl... maybe it needs to be done perfectly
What are some of the prettiest female names to you?
names after gemstones are usually pretty (Ruby, Jade) Caitlin is also nice.
Can you post three pictures of girls you find physically attractive?
rather than spend ages looking down google images of "pretty girls" i'll go rake the smogon pretty girls thread and find 3 images i agree with

Can you suggest five electronica songs that I would probably like? (I prefer more complex and less chill)
ima do this on irc because after hearing your examples finding something you like will be very trial and error
Thoughts on what you've seen of Pokemon Reborn?
the difficulty is heavily forced on the player with just restrictions out the ass, but its understandable cuz there arent many ways to do it otherwise. grinding is a real bitch in some areas because heal centers can be ages away from wild mons close to your level. i like the variety of mons and how they have egg moves / hidden abilities compared to the usual games, but i think avoiding even to add the strong mons will make it a weaker game in general - they plan to add all mons but where do these mons they are intentionally avoiding fall into the game? legendaries? they are already upwards of level 80 in their current version iirc so there's been some bad design choices or general whoopsies id say.
If you were forced to get a namechange what would you go with?
Rayzn probably - some xy dudes might remember that one and its at least a little similar to nayrz so its easier for people to realize who i am... sort of

either that or Princess Nayrz
What are your complete thoughts on the Fairy typing in regards to Ubers in XY?
broken
Do you have any ideas for better representing Ubers in official tournaments?
i think a smogon classic style type of ubers tournament is ideal. many ubers players seem to prefer the older gens and it can promote play and discussion of all of them, especially if you add some form of trophy/banner/ribbon/whatever to it. if spl and slam is all we really have (or had in spl's case) then id say make our own official tournament, because neither of them actually do an awful lot for the tier besides put it in the spotlight of hatred. i bet we say it does because its all we really have for high level gameplay but hell, you could even make UPL's format better and "official" and still make an improvement to what we currently have, which is literally just a grand slam open iirc, where people will ask for teams and just play. thats an issue across all slam tiers though, not just us. sadly we dont have any say or control in our tournaments representation as far as im aware, so this is all a pipe dream and we will continue to get screwed out of incentive to play our metagame. spl is potentially a chance as gen 7 will mess up the lower tiers and make room for us... right?
Will the Drizzlers ever not get haxed out of a tournament win?
next year... hopefully!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)