Project Ubers Matchmaking! Season 1 Week 4: Genesect (Sub)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to Certified Idiot on their super cool Eject Button Zygarde set! It is a perfect match made for Zekrom! Hof will be updated soon!

Week 4 will be...

Kyurem-White @ Life Orb
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Fusion Flare
- Roost

[Submission phase ends 21st July]​

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Defog

Xerneas can beat fighting Pokemon such as Marshadow with Moonblast and use Defog to minimize Stealth Rock/Spikes/Toxic Spikes damage to Kyurem.

bigtalk

Banned deucer.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Toxic
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn can easily switch into most of the stuff that walls Kyurem such as Waterceus, Fairyceus, support Dusk Mane, Kyogre, etc and use them as Spikes fodder. This in turn makes it harder for them to switch into Kyurem later in the game, and if they choose to defog then Kyurem doesn't have to deal with rocks anymore.

mega scizor.gif

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Sassy Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Toxic
- Roost
- U-turn​
  • Mega Scizor requires particular mention as a fantastic partner to Kyurem-W due to it being easily identified as a fantastic counter to common Kyurem offensive counters, notably Xerneas.
  • In addition, Kyurem's unbelievable power and wallbreaking potential coupled with its workable speed and poor defensive typing means it is practically only usable when brought in on a free switch, which a min speed Mega-Scizor's U-turn is able to do perfectly.
  • Bullet Punch allows Scizor to pick off weakened threats that barely live Kyurem's attacks, while toxic wears down walls that can later be put in range for Kyurem's Draco Meteor or Ice Beam to clean up.
  • Another notable option is for Scizor to forgo Toxic in order to run Defog to support Kyurem by getting rid of Stealth Rocks, which severely lower Kyurem's longevity. However, that makes Scizor much weaker against bulky cores and matchups that do not require defog support in order for Kyurem to pick something off, making it the inferior option imo.
  • Another large draw to Mega-Scizor over other Volt Switch/U-turn users such as Magearna, Pheromosa, and Genesect is that unlike Magearna it isn't prone to being worn down, unlike Pheromosa it is bulky enough to afford a misprediction outside of a Fire move, and unlike Genesect it can function as the sole dedicated Xerneas answer on a team, (Kyurem-W invites a large team wide Fairy weakness) opening up slots for pokemon like Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh on your team to run greedier sets due to having that responsibility lifted from their shoulders.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Necrozma-Dusk Mane @ Leftovers
Ability: Prism Armor
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Sunsteel Strike
- Morning Sun

Dusk Mane Necrozma can help mitigate the myriad of weaknesses Kyurem has while also providing Stealth Rock and Toxic. It resista Steel and Fairy, making it a great check to Xerneas and Steel-type Xerneas checks like Mega Scizor and Magearna. It Toxic’s Ho-oh and Arc-Water who switch in on Draco Meteor well enough. In addition, SpDef Necrozma baits in Arceus-Ground and Kyurem can threaten it immediately, not needing to stall Judgment. It also helps with this set’s general uselessness against defensive teams, as Kyurem is an absolute nuke if they lack a blob. Speaking of, defensive Ho-oh and the blobs are annoyances to this core, so Mega Gengar or Gothitelle could aid them.

Last edited:
Lead Roserade

Venezia (Roserade) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Grass Knot

I would've actually submitted some type of bulky steel, but I got beaten to it.
Nevertheless, spike support is absolutely amazing for Kyurem-White, as it allows to chip its threats/checks and kill them by itself.
I believe that Roserade is one of the best leads in the tier, as it is able to outspeed Excadrill, Cloyster, Smeargle and lead Primal Groudon, put them to sleep, and set a couple of spikes up before striking them with a strong Grass Knot stab that 2HKOs.
Roserade is countered by Mega Sableye, Deoxys-Speed and Mega Diancie leads, but it is also able to 2HKO all of them with just Grass Knot.
I put Stun Spore on the set in order to slow down Scarf Yveltals that will just try to mindlessly defog, and when they do get slowed down, spikes will be able to be set up again, as spike's PP are higher than Defog's.

To be honest, I'm surprised there isn't a Smogon Analysis on either Roserade or Rotom-Wash, as their potential in the tier is incredible.

Last edited:
Voting is up!
Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot
- Defog

Xerneas can beat fighting Pokemon such as Marshadow with Moonblast and use Defog to minimize Stealth Rock/Spikes/Toxic Spikes damage to Kyurem.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Sassy Nature
- Toxic
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn can easily switch into most of the stuff that walls Kyurem such as Waterceus, Fairyceus, support Dusk Mane, Kyogre, etc and use them as Spikes fodder. This in turn makes it harder for them to switch into Kyurem later in the game, and if they choose to defog then Kyurem doesn't have to deal with rocks anymore.

View attachment 186207
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Sassy Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Toxic
- Roost
- U-turn​

• Mega Scizor requires particular mention as a fantastic partner to Kyurem-W due to it being easily identified as a fantastic counter to common Kyurem offensive counters, notably Xerneas.
  • In addition, Kyurem's unbelievable power and wallbreaking potential coupled with its workable speed and poor defensive typing means it is practically only usable when brought in on a free switch, which a min speed Mega-Scizor's U-turn is able to do perfectly.
  • Bullet Punch allows Scizor to pick off weakened threats that barely live Kyurem's attacks, while toxic wears down walls that can later be put in range for Kyurem's Draco Meteor or Ice Beam to clean up.
  • Another notable option is for Scizor to forgo Toxic in order to run Defog to support Kyurem by getting rid of Stealth Rocks, which severely lower Kyurem's longevity. However, that makes Scizor much weaker against bulky cores and matchups that do not require defog support in order for Kyurem to pick something off, making it the inferior option imo.
  • Another large draw to Mega-Scizor over other Volt Switch/U-turn users such as Magearna, Pheromosa, and Genesect is that unlike Magearna it isn't prone to being worn down, unlike Pheromosa it is bulky enough to afford a misprediction outside of a Fire move, and unlike Genesect it can function as the sole dedicated Xerneas answer on a team, (Kyurem-W invites a large team wide Fairy weakness) opening up slots for pokemon like Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh on your team to run greedier sets due to having that responsibility lifted from their shoulders.

View attachment 186256
Necrozma-Dusk Mane @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Sunsteel Strike
- Morning Sun

Dusk Mane Necrozma can help mitigate the myriad of weaknesses Kyurem has while also providing Stealth Rock and Toxic. It resista Steel and Fairy, making it a great check to Xerneas and Steel-type Xerneas checks like Mega Scizor and Magearna. It Toxic’s Ho-oh and Arc-Water who switch in on Draco Meteor well enough. In addition, SpDef Necrozma baits in Arceus-Ground and Kyurem can threaten it immediately, not needing to stall Judgment. It also helps with this set’s general uselessness against defensive teams, as Kyurem is an absolute nuke if they lack a blob. Speaking of, defensive Ho-oh and the blobs are annoyances to this core, so Mega Gengar or Gothitelle could aid them.

Lead Roserade
View attachment 186232

Venezia (Roserade) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Grass Knot

I would've actually submitted some type of bulky steel, but I got beaten to it.
Nevertheless, spike support is absolutely amazing for Kyurem-White, as it allows to chip its threats/checks and kill them by itself.
I believe that Roserade is one of the best leads in the tier, as it is able to outspeed Excadrill, Cloyster, Smeargle and lead Primal Groudon, put them to sleep, and set a couple of spikes up before striking them with a strong Grass Knot stab that 2HKOs.
Roserade is countered by Mega Sableye, Deoxys-Speed and Mega Diancie leads, but it is also able to 2HKO all of them with just Grass Knot.
I put Stun Spore on the set in order to slow down Scarf Yveltals that will just try to mindlessly defog, and when they do get slowed down, spikes will be able to be set up again, as spike's PP are higher than Defog's.

To be honest, I'm surprised there isn't a Smogon Analysis on either Roserade or Rotom-Wash, as their potential in the tier is incredible.

My vote is going to bigtalk!

As Kyurem generally struggles against offense, the addition of Scarf Xern can alleviate that issue but the 2 don't have the best defensive synergy. Even having Kyurem-W as a breaker will still give away momentum vs things like Blobs, Defensive Ho-Oh and Steels in well-build teams.

I never experimented with Roserade or any mons outside of the VR in this case but I don't feel Kyurem-W function effectively on a hyper offensive build let alone with a Rapid Spin-less lead. This mon needs a large amount of offensive and defensive support throughout the course of battle in order to use its wall-breaking abilities to its max capacity.

Dusk Mane Necro, Ferro and Mega Scizor is probably the standout out of all because of its steel typing enabling to switch into Fairies and Toxic from Waterceus and Blobs and apply additional pressure with hazards from the former two. But ideally IMO Kyurem wants to be in a team whose intention is the opposite - its terrible defensive typing and being exposed to all hazards will take its toll on its health. Mega Scizor's ability to give Kyurem free turns w/ slow U-Turns and not vulnerable to Marsh is what makes it a better standout partner.

My vote goes to Mega Scizor by Zman11335

It's safe to say zman11335 won by a landslide this week so congratulations my dude! HoF will be updated shorty!

Next Pokemon in need of a match is...

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Thunder / Sludge Bomb

[Submissions end 30th July]​

Stealth Rock + Swords Dance Primal Groudon

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 144 HP / 156 Atk / 56 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb

This set offensively wears down most of what Darkrai is afraid of, which include Magearna, Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy, Ho-Oh, the pink blobs, and Tyranitar. If it's not breaking them with SD-boosted attacks, it's doing so by getting up rocks for Darkrai, which can help set up a sweep in its own right. Rock Tomb also provides great utility in slowing certain threats down like Scarf Ho-Oh, Mewtwo, Ultra Necrozma, and Scarf Xerneas.

Last edited:

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Aromatherapy
- Grass Knot / Thunder

Scarf Xerneas is a great offensive partner for Darkrai. It offers a switch-in to Fighting-types, particularly Marshadow, and punishes them with a STAB Moonblast. It can cure Darkrai of status, and together they can consistently wear down Magearna, especially if Darkrai has put it to sleep. Darkrai also pressures Steel-types and Primal Groudon, common Scarf Xerneas answers. Either Darkrai or Xerneas can run Thunder, but I recommend Darkrai runs it so it can smack Ho-oh, freeing prediction on Xerneas. As Darkrai is generally run on hyper offensive, I don’t recommend Xerneas runs Defog here, but it can still be done.

Last edited:
Necrozma-Dusk Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Photon Geyser
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
Necrozma can take care of some of Darkrai's Special walls. Stone Edge takes care of pokemon like Ho-Oh and Earthquake deals with Magearna.

• In order for Darkrai to exist and be effective with the existence of Yveltal in the tier, a specific goal has to be in mind when building with Darkrai that justifies its usage over the almost universally superior Yveltal.

This leads me to my submission:
    Landorus @ Life Orb
    Ability: Sheer Force
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    -Earth Power
    -Sludge Wave
    -Rock Slide
    -Stealth Rock

• Landorus has a unique niche in the tier as an offensive Stealth Rock setter that is uniquely good at breaking defensive cores which Darkrai appreciates more than most offensive sweepers in the tier due to lacking the power to threaten common bulkier foes even at +2, such as Kyogre, Ho-Oh, and support Arceus, which Landorus effectively lures and weakens.
  • Stealth Rock is the most important move on this set, as it allows Landorus to (even after fainting) chip away at Darkrai's switch ins lowering them for Darkrai to be able to break through teams late game, while Darkrai also deters Defog users due to threatening a setup and being able to put them to sleep.
  • Sheer Force boosted Life Orb Earth Power allows Landorus to cleanly threaten all pokemon that don't resist or immune it, especially weakening common Darkrai checks such as bulky Primal Groudon and Darkrai's nemesis, Magearna.
  • Rock Slide weakens another Darkrai check: Ho-Oh.
  • Sludge Wave threatens Darkrai's other common checks, Arceus-Fairy and Xerneas.
  • A final disclaimer is that Landorus requires finesse to pilot, due to being quite frail and sometimes having trouble finding safe times to set up rocks, while also requiring team support in order to be able to safely pivot. Bulky partners such as Necrozma-DM or support Arceus assist in Landorus and Darkrai's aggressive game plan and act as a fantastic addition to this underused dynamic duo.

Reserving Deoxys-S w/ a twist.

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Gravity
- Psycho Boost

If you played mons since the ORAS gen, you will likely know that classic Deoxys-S sample HO team. In that team Darkrai is generally used to anti lead Rapid Spinners by putting them to sleep w/ Dark Void as Deoxys-S struggles to get hazard ups. Also after leading with Deoxys-S, Darkrai is usually the next in to get the momentum running by putting a fodder to sleep and or for the others to take advantage of free turn to set up and apply huge amount of pressure.

Due to the Dark Void accuracy nerf in gen 7 forces it to run the still-inaccurate Hypnosis, however a move called Gravity comes to my head. Gravity is a move that its primary effect increases accuracy of moves by 5/3x - Hypnosis under Gravity will now have a 100% accuracy.

Luckily Deoxys is capable of learning it making it a great nominee to aid Darkrai’s signature role that it had once. With the right prediction and to know when to click rocks or Taunt leaving one last turn to use Gravity before it dies, Rai can come in and click Hypnosis without fear of missing.

Last edited:

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Gravity
- Psycho Boost

If you played mons since the ORAS gen, you will likely know that classic Deoxys-S sample HO team. In that team Darkrai is generally used to anti lead Rapid Spinners by putting them to sleep w/ Dark Void as Deoxys-S struggles to get hazard ups. Also after leading with Deoxys-S, Darkrai is usually the next in to get the momentum running by putting a fodder to sleep and or for the others to take advantage of free turn to set up and apply huge amount of pressure.

Due to the Dark Void accuracy nerf in gen 7 forces it to run the still-inaccurate Hypnosis, however a move called Gravity comes to my head. Gravity is a move that its primary effect increases accuracy of moves by 5/3x - Hypnosis under Gravity will now have a 100% accuracy.

Luckily Deoxys is capable of learning it making it a great nominee to aid Darkrai’s signature role that it had once. With the right prediction and to know when to click rocks or Taunt leaving one last turn to use Gravity before it dies, Rai can come in and click Hypnosis without fear of missing.
I honestly think it would be fascinating to run almost the same set but with Deoxys-Attack instead, due to this ev spread lacking the bulk to justify the weakened Psycho Boost, or instead running a more classic Deoxys-Speed set with magic coat or skill swap instead of Psycho Boost that allows Deoxys to run a bulkier ev spread and have a greater likelihood of getting Gravity off.

Regardless I love the idea of combining Stealth Rock (Darkrai's best friend) with Gravity to guarantee Hypnosis hits. Cool set.

I honestly think it would be fascinating to run almost the same set but with Deoxys-Attack instead, due to this ev spread lacking the bulk to justify the weakened Psycho Boost, or instead running a more classic Deoxys-Speed set with magic coat or skill swap instead of Psycho Boost that allows Deoxys to run a bulkier ev spread and have a greater likelihood of getting Gravity off.

Regardless I love the idea of combining Stealth Rock (Darkrai's best friend) with Gravity to guarantee Hypnosis hits. Cool set.
Thanks man :)

Even w/ bulk investment it still gets 2HKO like almost any attack. Deo-S is faster in order to outspeed Scarfers and can at worst speed tie the opposing Deo-S and IIRC it lives an Icicle Spear from Cloyster.

Psycho Boost is just a filler slot - you can run Spikes, Magic Coat or Skill Swap too but I just included because a lot of people like myself tends to run it in USM. But you’re right about having a bulkier spread if you’re not running Psycho Boost.

Voting is up!
Stealth Rock + Swords Dance Primal Groudon

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 144 HP / 156 Atk / 56 SpD / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb

This set offensively wears down most of what Darkrai is afraid of, which include Magearna, Xerneas, Arceus-Fairy, Ho-Oh, the pink blobs, and Tyranitar. If it's not breaking them with SD-boosted attacks, it's doing so by getting up rocks for Darkrai, which can help set up a sweep in its own right. Rock Tomb also provides great utility in slowing certain threats down like Scarf Ho-Oh, Mewtwo, Ultra Necrozma, and Scarf Xerneas.

Xerneas @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Aromatherapy
- Grass Knot / Thunder

Scarf Xerneas is a great offensive partner for Darkrai. It offers a switch-in to Fighting-types, particularly Marshadow, and punishes them with a STAB Moonblast. It can cure Darkrai of status, and together they can consistently wear down Magearna, especially if Darkrai has put it to sleep. Darkrai also pressures Steel-types and Primal Groudon, common Scarf Xerneas answers. Either Darkrai or Xerneas can run Thunder, but I recommend Darkrai runs it so it can smack Ho-oh, freeing prediction on Xerneas. As Darkrai is generally run on hyper offensive, I don’t recommend Xerneas runs Defog here, but it can still be done.

Necrozma-Dusk Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Photon Geyser
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
Necrozma can take care of some of Darkrai's Special walls. Stone Edge takes care of pokemon like Ho-Oh and Earthquake deals with Magearna.

• In order for Darkrai to exist and be effective with the existence of Yveltal in the tier, a specific goal has to be in mind when building with Darkrai that justifies its usage over the almost universally superior Yveltal.

This leads me to my submission:
    Landorus @ Life Orb
    Ability: Sheer Force
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    -Earth Power
    -Sludge Wave
    -Rock Slide
    -Stealth Rock

• Landorus has a unique niche in the tier as an offensive Stealth Rock setter that is uniquely good at breaking defensive cores which Darkrai appreciates more than most offensive sweepers in the tier due to lacking the power to threaten common bulkier foes even at +2, such as Kyogre, Ho-Oh, and support Arceus, which Landorus effectively lures and weakens.
  • Stealth Rock is the most important move on this set, as it allows Landorus to (even after fainting) chip away at Darkrai's switch ins lowering them for Darkrai to be able to break through teams late game, while Darkrai also deters Defog users due to threatening a setup and being able to put them to sleep.
  • Sheer Force boosted Life Orb Earth Power allows Landorus to cleanly threaten all pokemon that don't resist or immune it, especially weakening common Darkrai checks such as bulky Primal Groudon and Darkrai's nemesis, Magearna.
  • Rock Slide weakens another Darkrai check: Ho-Oh.
  • Sludge Wave threatens Darkrai's other common checks, Arceus-Fairy and Xerneas.
  • A final disclaimer is that Landorus requires finesse to pilot, due to being quite frail and sometimes having trouble finding safe times to set up rocks, while also requiring team support in order to be able to safely pivot. Bulky partners such as Necrozma-DM or support Arceus assist in Landorus and Darkrai's aggressive game plan and act as a fantastic addition to this underused dynamic duo.

Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Gravity
- Psycho Boost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)