Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think tyrantrum will be my next breeding project but before I start id like to know. what are the advantages/disadvantages of fire and ice fang

I think tyrantrum will be my next breeding project but before I start id like to know. what are the advantages/disadvantages of fire and ice fang
fire fang ohko's aegi-blade, genesect, greninja (after LIVING THE ICE BEAM through AV like A FREAKIN' BOSS), sometimes excadrill, scizor, forretress, and ferrothorn, to name a few. It can also 2hko mawile and it's mega - if you catch it on the switch.

Ice Fang ohko's thundurus, landorus, garchomp, although you may want to play around with ev's and nature to avoid being killed first. It also 2hko's gliscor, even after a turn of protect stall.

Honestly, they're both really good. I use them together on an AV set, as I don't really have to deal with 4MSS.

This guy needs more of his defensive sets talked about. I was thinking of running

Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash
Impish/Adamant Nature
Strong Jaw
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Def
-Head Smash/Stone Edge
-Earthquake/Dragon Tail
-Crunch
-Stealth Rock

I'm using him as a stealth rock lead on a team with both Mega Charizard Y and a defensive 252 HP/ 252 Def Avalugg. Do you guys think he'd better serve me as a suicide lead with Jolly 252 Atk/252 Speed? Thoughts? I really want to make use of his high Def and Atk stats, but I need some insight. My thinking so far has been to bring him in to set up SR first turn, Crunch if anything with Magic Bounce or priority might switch in (and hopefully get the defense drop), or Head Smash away at any non-resisting threats first turn. I feel that Crunch's defense drop isn't talked about as much as it should be...

Last edited:
This guy needs more of his defensive sets talked about. I was thinking of running

Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash
Impish/Adamant Nature
Strong Jaw
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Def
-Head Smash/Stone Edge
-Earthquake/Dragon Tail
-Crunch
-Stealth Rock

I'm using him as a stealth rock lead on a team with both Mega Charizard Y and a defensive 252 HP/ 252 Def Avalugg. Do you guys think he'd better serve me as a suicide lead with Jolly 252 Atk/252 Speed? Thoughts? I really want to make use of his high Def and Atk stats, but I need some insight. My thinking so far has been to bring him in to set up SR first turn, Crunch if anything with Magic Bounce or priority might switch in (and hopefully get the defense drop), or Head Smash away at any non-resisting threats first turn. I feel that Crunch's defense drop isn't talked about as much as it should be...
The problem with tyrantrum is that he has so many weaknesses. Dragon, fairy, fighting, ground, ice, steel and his special defense is abysmal.

Also why would you run head smash on a focus sash lead? Doing so negates your focus sash after its first head smash

As a defensive mon, all the utility he has access to are rocks, dragon tail and...toxic. Yeah he has crap like swagger and charm but that stuff is useless.

I hate to bag on your post, but defensive tyrantrum isn't worth your time. Maybe offensive lead works. Something like,

Tyrantrum @ focus sash
Jolly
252 attack/ 252 speed/ 4 HP
- stealth rock
- dragon dance
- stone edge
- earthquake

Tyrantrum has so many weaknesses and is so slow, that its only options are running HP and attack with a band or attack and speed with a scarf or a jolly dragon dancer or an adamant rock polish. All other sets have someone far superior to use.

Still, the best answer is one tried and true. Give it a shot and report back. I love this mon (really annoyed it didn't get an analysis but I suppose rock head will change all that...one day)

The problem with tyrantrum is that he has so many weaknesses. Dragon, fairy, fighting, ground, ice, steel and his special defense is abysmal.

Also why would you run head smash on a focus sash lead? Doing so negates your focus sash after its first head smash

As a defensive mon, all the utility he has access to are rocks, dragon tail and...toxic. Yeah he has crap like swagger and charm but that stuff is useless.

I hate to bag on your post, but defensive tyrantrum isn't worth your time. Maybe offensive lead works. Something like,

Tyrantrum @ focus sash
Jolly
252 attack/ 252 speed/ 4 HP
- stealth rock
- dragon dance
- stone edge
- earthquake

Tyrantrum has so many weaknesses and is so slow, that its only options are running HP and attack with a band or attack and speed with a scarf or a jolly dragon dancer or an adamant rock polish. All other sets have someone far superior to use.

Still, the best answer is one tried and true. Give it a shot and report back. I love this mon (really annoyed it didn't get an analysis but I suppose rock head will change all that...one day)
I've generally been using him as an unexpected defensive tank, sponging bullet punches, EQs, and Mach Punches. However, this has mostly been in Battle Tower, not actual people. lol It's just been working pretty well which is why I mentioned it. Plus, I figured that since my team is based around Charizard, having two good defensive mons would help take the rock and electric type moves aimed at him. Fairies are a problem, but I generally fodder him off after setting up SR in order to bring in Charizard or Talonflame to deal with them. I'm breeding a tyrunt for IVs and the right nature/moveset which is why I wanted a small discussion on his defensive sets so that I might make the right decision prior to making an Impish natured one without DD. =P

Also, I almost forgot to mention that Crunch has definitely been helping me a lot in terms of coverage. I can generally 2HKO most things when they come in on a Crunch and then eat an EQ or SE (with the occasional defense drop guaranteeing it).

And by the way, does anyone know the calcs for my set when getting hit with a CB Play Rough from Azumarill?

Last edited:
As was mentioned, Focus Sash + Head Smash is a poor option. In general, this gen, thanks to the ease of Defogging, Suicide Leads have lost a lot of value (though they were arguably losing their edge at the end of Gen 5). Mamoswine does what you're suggesting with that set much, much better, since he has Thick Fat (or Oblivious to stop fast taunts) and a priority move, plus better STABs.

I like the HP+ATK Adamant SRocks with Lefties set, as I have mentioned. Main other choices are 4 attacks + choice, 3 attacks + DD/Rock Polish. If he wants to play offensive, he needs the speed - he doesn't have the special defense to sponge hits. You could run AV, I guess, but I feel Aggron does that better, since he actually gets Rock Head on-cart and has a better typing.

As soon as he gets Rockhead I will using this Trex with Scarf or Rock Polish on every team. Simply because most teams can't handle Head Smash(Seriously, I used normal Head Smash Aggron and had success) This thing however is faster and stronger, making it even more potent

Hmm... Why, that typing? That quad weakness to ice is really going to hurt this thing. It needs Special defense to survive anything, in my opinion. I'm tempted to make a bulky set up, like this...

Tyrantrum (Adamant/ Jolly)
EV: 125 Def, 127 SpD/ 252 HP/ 4AtK
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Strong Jaw
Move Set:
Substitute
Dragon Dance
Crunch/ Fire Fang/ Ice Fang
Thunder Fang/ Fire Fang

Honestly, Tyrantrum is too slow to pull anything off. I prefer Amaura to hyper beam and die xD
When Rock Head is released, this Pokemom might have a chance, but in my opinion, this is the best set it can run.
tyrantrums not 4x weak to ice JS.

So far my elemental fang master t rex with d dance ha wrecked almost everything he faced.
Docile nature
Max attack evs
Perfect stats save speed, and no item. Though i have found the opposition to be...lacking in most regards. In the two matches i have used him in to test him of the 6 pokemon hes faced he took out 5. A garchomp ended his run after a meloetta softened him up.

I really hope they release rock head tyrantrum. Scarf this dude and watch him bust holes in the meta. The majority of priority attacks in the game are physical.

His natural physical bulk allows him to sponge bullet and Mach punches easily. Sucker punch isn't much a problem either. Brave bird and shadow sneak are jokes.

He has an excellent move pool in head smash, earthquake, outrage, and the elemental fangs although admittedly they'll be weaker but who cares you'd only use them to revenge kill.

Good thing about tyrantrum is that both his abilities are really useful. Admittedly, rock head is much better but strong jaw is no slouch and provides much needed power for his much needed coverage.

I have been trying this mon on a X5Dragon team (get it? No not funny..k) and despite the massive recoil Head Smash is such a freakin boss, it just wipes things clean. People have been talking about scarfing this thing when it gets Rock Head (shouldn't be that far) but I want a DD set instead

Tyrantrum (Adamant/ Jolly)
EV: 252 Atk/252 Speed/4HP
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Rock Head
Move Set:
Dragon Dance
Head Smash
Ice Fang
EQ

When the XY Gen first arrived here, and you COULD use his Hidden Ability, this was the set I used:

Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Fang
- Head Smash
- Earthquake / Dragon Claw

It was an amazing lead at the beginning of the Gen.
Sets up guaranteed rocks, and the things that can bounce it back at him die to Head Smash either way, as long as you can predict.
I see this being very viable, and common in UU if his Hidden Ability is released based. Powerful, rocks, hits almost everything...
Tyrantrum will be a huge UU threat if his Hidden Ability is ever released. Hell, he wrecked in early XY OU.

When the XY Gen first arrived here, and you COULD use his Hidden Ability, this was the set I used:

Tyrantrum @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Fang
- Head Smash
- Earthquake / Dragon Claw

It was an amazing lead at the beginning of the Gen.
Sets up guaranteed rocks, and the things that can bounce it back at him die to Head Smash either way, as long as you can predict.
I see this being very viable, and common in UU if his Hidden Ability is released based. Powerful, rocks, hits almost everything...
Tyrantrum will be a huge UU threat if his Hidden Ability is ever released. Hell, he wrecked in early XY OU.
UU? If he gets rock head he'll be in OU definitely, primarily because his rock head wrecks the top three offensive mons in the game, mega pinsir, char x and char y. Talonflame also gets destroyed.

His earthquake and outrage helps him destroy everything else. Aegislash, rotom-w, even scizor get pummeled.

Any way to get elemental fangs and DD on this guy without Smeargle? Bulbapedia doesn't list many breeding partners, which may suggest the entry is incomplete.

I'm starting to like this thing a lot. It can't take special hits well but once it gets up a DD you can only check it because it's so strong. I also like using this as a Talonflame check since he resists his STABs x4 and x2 respectively. Once it gets Rock head, head smash will destroy everything >:D. Has anyone tried poison fang in conjunction with strong jaw? Could be used for fairies but I think his rock stabs would do the same amount if not more damage.

UU? If he gets rock head he'll be in OU definitely, primarily because his rock head wrecks the top three offensive mons in the game, mega pinsir, char x and char y. Talonflame also gets destroyed.

His earthquake and outrage helps him destroy everything else. Aegislash, rotom-w, even scizor get pummeled.
I don't think people understand that a +1 (DD) Rock Head LO Adamant Headsmash can OHKO fully defensive Skarmory with only SR damage. A STAB 150BP rock (One of the best offensive types) move on a pokemon with 121 base attack and the bulk/typing to prevent priority revenge killing is insane.

dialganet

Banned deucer.
Any way to get elemental fangs and DD on this guy without Smeargle? Bulbapedia doesn't list many breeding partners, which may suggest the entry is incomplete.
Tyranitar. Tyranitar can inherit DD and learns the fangs via move relearner. Breed Tyranitar with a DDancer (es Haxorus) then teach to an offspring Fangs+DD (he can also inherit poison fang, which Tyrunt gets as an egg move too) and then breed the offspring with the Tyrantrum line.

I don't think people understand that a +1 (DD) Rock Head LO Adamant Headsmash can OHKO fully defensive Skarmory with only SR damage. A STAB 150BP rock (One of the best offensive types) move on a pokemon with 121 base attack and the bulk/typing to prevent priority revenge killing is insane.
Yes! I think the best part is it can wreck char y and char x and pinsir all while resisting their stabs (well, not char x's dragon STAB) and talonflame, and aegislash.

I just love that it has the potential to wreck every offensive threat right now.

Yes! I think the best part is it can wreck char y and char x and pinsir all while resisting their stabs (well, not char x's dragon STAB) and talonflame, and aegislash.

I just love that it has the potential to wreck every offensive threat right now.
He'll certainly be going on my team once he gets Rock Head (If he isn't banned to Ubers, which he could be). I don't know how viable he is now without it but I don't even want to try it considering it will just feel lackluster compared to the rapetrain he will be with Rock Head. With a 150BP Rock move and a 120BP Dragon move, his 2 STABs are not only frighteningly powerful, but have neutral coverage over every type in the game except steel. Throw in Earthquake for a 100BP move that destroys Steels and he has literally perfect coverage and still room to hold Dragon Dance. He also has SE coverage for 10/18 types, over half. And that's not even mentioning that he can OHKO even the pokemon that resist his attacks because they are so damn powerful.

He's a goddamn monster.

Tyranitar. Tyranitar can inherit DD and learns the fangs via move relearner. Breed Tyranitar with a DDancer (es Haxorus) then teach to an offspring Fangs+DD (he can also inherit poison fang, which Tyrunt gets as an egg move too) and then breed the offspring with the Tyrantrum line.
Strange. According to Bulbapedia, Tyranitar can't pass down DD to Tyrunt. Only the Horsea, Dratini, and Axew lines, and Gyarados and Altaria can. Is that a mistake?

He'll certainly be going on my team once he gets Rock Head (If he isn't banned to Ubers, which he could be). I don't know how viable he is now without it but I don't even want to try it considering it will just feel lackluster compared to the rapetrain he will be with Rock Head. With a 150BP Rock move and a 120BP Dragon move, his 2 STABs are not only frighteningly powerful, but have neutral coverage over every type in the game except steel. Throw in Earthquake for a 100BP move that destroys Steels and he has literally perfect coverage and still room to hold Dragon Dance. He also has SE coverage for 10/18 types, over half. And that's not even mentioning that he can OHKO even the pokemon that resist his attacks because they are so damn powerful.

He's a goddamn monster.
I honestly can't wait. And the best part is he'll stay OU because of his garbage special defense and speed. Which is fine by me, it's called team building.

As for strong jaws tyrantrum, he's good just not as. Stone edge and earthquake, and the. You pick what want to cover. Thunder fang takes care of gyarados and talonflame (reliably at least), while ice fang takes care of opposing dragons and gliscor. Fire fang takes care of steels and annoying bugs like heracross and scolipede

I honestly can't wait. And the best part is he'll stay OU because of his garbage special defense and speed. Which is fine by me, it's called team building.

As for strong jaws tyrantrum, he's good just not as. Stone edge and earthquake, and the. You pick what want to cover. Thunder fang takes care of gyarados and talonflame (reliably at least), while ice fang takes care of opposing dragons and gliscor. Fire fang takes care of steels and annoying bugs like heracross and scolipede
I suppose the real question is: Is there anything Strong Jaws Tyrantrum can do that Tyranitar can't? Without Rock Head I feel like Tyranitar basically outclasses him.

Something I've been thinking about for RH Tyrantrum; What if we gave him full Defense (Or HP) and Attack EVs, and Rock Polish? Basically you lose the speed EVs but make up for it with the x2 instead of x1. You lose your x1 attack but you gain lots of longevity, especially against the priority attackers that will be trying to take you down.

Thoughts?

I suppose the real question is: Is there anything Strong Jaws Tyrantrum can do that Tyranitar can't? Without Rock Head I feel like Tyranitar basically outclasses him.

Something I've been thinking about for RH Tyrantrum; What if we gave him full Defense (Or HP) and Attack EVs, and Rock Polish? Basically you lose the speed EVs but make up for it with the x2 instead of x1. You lose your x1 attack but you gain lots of longevity, especially against the priority attackers that will be trying to take you down.

Thoughts?
Well the most common tyrantrum is dragon dance and I have to compare that to mega tyranitar a dragon dance set (the only one you see) so the only thing I can say is

+1 252+ Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 147-174 (44 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Strong Jaw Tyrantrum Crunch vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 153-181 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 5.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Very slightly out damages a stab coming off a base 164 attack.

That means his stone edge out damages even more noticeably as tyrantrum gets stab on it.

And better coverage.

Yeah honestly if it weren't for his garbage special defense, he would probably give mega friggin tyranitar a run for his money as a bulky dragon dancer and thats just as strong jaw. Rock head would easily blow it out of the water.

That means his stone edge out damages even more noticeably as tyrantrum gets stab on it.
Not quite, as he doesn't get the Strong Jaw boost with Stone Edge. It'll be about the same just like crunch. So yeah his attacks are slightly more powerful but he doesn't have the huge special bulk. Plus that is Mega TTar, and Mega TTar is a bit weaker than normal TTar (Life orb) except with more bulk. Normal TTar definitely outclasses the strong jaw set imo. Rock head is another story entirely, but for now I think people would be better off running TTar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)