Media TV Show Discussion - Beware Spoilers

Not entirely sure if one of these are already here, I searched for one but couldn't find any top results. But if there is, please remove this thread and redirect me to an already existing one.

Anyways, has anyone seen that new netflix show titled Locke & Key? It says it's based on a graphic novel series which seems really cool, if the show is any good I'd have to check out the books as well. I could just as easily look up a synopsis/review or reasons to watch online, but I figure since I am around like-minded pokemon fans I'd like to specifically know some opinions of the people here. Either way, if you've not seen the trailer, you should totally watch it. Gonna start the series tonight most likely. But still I'd like for people here to give me reasons to watch it/why it is good. It totally reminds me of platformer games such as Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie or Donkey Kong 64, what with the key collecting/easter egg hunt which unlocks portals hidden throughout the house that essentially lead to alternate worlds/dimensions.

EDIT: Okay, after finishing the first season, please nobody spoil any further information. It is really, really good and I won't even read the books in order to wait years for the following seasons.

lockekey_vertical_teaser_rgb_en-us-2.jpg

Also, has anyone watched the new netflix show The Witcher? I've never played the games all the way through, although I did start a file on The Witcher 3, but never got around to getting into due to life circumstances. But the show was excellent. I really enjoyed Geralt's character. I didn't get into Yennefer's character all that much. Just as someone on youtube mentioned there is a bit of time displacement where events kinda happen out of order, so you have to think rather critically in order to see how the timeline unfolds. Although, it didn't help that I was busy playing pokemon during my viewing of the first season. If you've not seen it yet, I suggest watching this one. Watching the show made me really interested in reading the books, which I love how certain shows that get put in the limelight help me to find good books. It reminded me of Game of Thrones a bit, but it was different enough to interest me without it feeling too contrived.

The-Witcher-Promo-Poster-678x1004-2.jpg

But yeah, I'd love to talk about other shows, but i'll just mention these two for now. Spoilers are welcome. Not only would I love for everyone to review shows but also get into analysis of various aspects of the art of cinema to reveal certain details and intentional meanings to all sorts of things hidden within the shows. Things such as the camera shots/frames, images, symbols or items in the foreground/background, actor and actresses acting techniques regarding body language as well as things discerning foreshadowing etc. All kinds of stuff like that are greatly welcomed to explore the art.

Again, it should go without saying that everyone should respect themselves and others and save the drama for their llama's mama.

Last edited:

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
just a few days until Killing Eve eve the most joyous night of the tv year besides L word eve. Killing Eve is a show that portrays an anti-social woman (Villanelle) that is neither histrionic, socially inept, or an object for male consumption and the development of her mutual obsession with another woman. Highly recommend, it is extremely funny and has the dopest punk sound track.

[

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Confirming that Killing Eve is extremely good. I feel like it goes off the rails a bit at the end of both seasons tho—whether you think that's a good thing or not is probably in the eye of the beholder, but personally it was a little too much for me

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Devs is pretty cool. Unsatisfying ending and poor casting for Lily and Forrest kinda undercut it, but the vast majority of everything else is gripping. The remaining cast were all well cast+acted (especially Alison Pill, whose performance as Katie was really chilling and memorable), and the visual and auditory presentation was really awesome throughout from the really creepy statues at Amaya to the 2001-esque soundtracking in the opening sequences to the aerial shots of San Francisco to help break up the very insular environment the characters seem to inhabit.

Highly recommend The Boys, it's much more different from the conventional superhero show and is much darker and the main idea is that the superheroes aren't good guys and all have some dark past. I'd go more into the plot but I don't want to spoil it (I've over-generalized the show here and it may sound more childish but it's a really good show and has had great reviews)

Also watched Billions that's like suits but instead of law it's focusing on banks. It's been a nice show but a few of the newer seasons aren't as good imo and it's been a bit slow. The good thing is its gotten back on track and the newest season has been very interesting.

Just saying I did watch The Wire again and it makes for great rewatching. It really has you rooting for people you hated later down the road, like Bodie.

One of the best parts of The Wire is that even with all the terrible and depressing shit that happens in it, it's also really funny too. Like Sorapnos style, except with way more empathetic characters.

Recently started watching The Sopranos, I am one episode away from the season 1 finale and I love it so far

Heard it was the main inspiration behind Breaking Bad and I can see the roots in the show. My favorite characters so far are Christopher and Paulie, but every character and their plotline have fascinated me so far

Something I found to be very different from Breaking Bad is that Tony's family life isn't too separate from his mafia life. I can't really say that this is where Tony as a father and husband starts and where Tony as a mobster begins

I am also a huge Italiboo so I appreciate the lasagna (all be it American lasagna) and the Italian temper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)