SS OU Trying out my first team ever

I usually just copy other teams and get my way on the ladder but this time I really wanted to make my own team and try to see how far I can make it. As of right now I am 1400+ In the elo ladder and I’ve been on a good win streak. The problem is that it’s always very close games and I feel like I’m doing something wrong with my team. So here’s the team

2191C481-3D8B-45DF-9D09-D6ADB2281D13.png

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- X-Scissor

to start of I wanted to have a physical sweeper that’d be able to outspeed most shell smash mons (cloyster, polta) I feel like the choice scarf will be able to clutch up a lot of games and that’s why I’ve decided to put it on kartana
BD0CF3D1-1072-498A-893D-0598662D2F83.png

next up is my physically bulky boy. I’ve decided to use an assault vest just to confuse the other Players who thinks that the special move that usually 2 shots doesn’t. He’s also my coverage for scary mons like lando T and such.
602C2030-1806-4727-B81A-D607CB05110A.png

At first I wanted my koko to be a set up for walls but I couldn’t ever find a good situation to bring him in. That’s when I decided to make him my special attacking mom that’ll be able to deal with toxapex and dragon types ( made the switch since I noticed that I lose some matchups vs dragon types)
F3CE89D2-A7B7-4114-A8FA-44936C663187.png

heres my special boy. My garchomp is used to be a physical tank and rock setter. The use of rough skin and rocky helmet helps so much since I’m my ladder I go against a lot of urshifu. He’s also pretty fast and has Draco just for the other dragon types out there.
352F82F1-02A9-476A-9D1C-7E7F53CB0FBC.png

Next up is this monster. He’ll be used as my special tank and will also be there just to kinda force my opponent to hard switch to something also while setting up future sights. His use is mostly for type coverage and he’s also just a very good mom overall
475387AB-8C45-4B84-9F49-60277F07D3EA.png

To finish it off I decided to have a mon with intimidate and defog just so that I could get rid of hazards. I also have knock off because I have like the need of a knock off mon is up there and can prevent sudden sweeps from happening

that’s it for my team and I’m very very very open to modifications since I still don’t know what I’m doing when it comes to team building. Thank you :)

Team
https://pokepast.es/87b6fae849922091

Last edited:

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
This is quite well made for a your first team from scratch. Props to you.

Kartana doesn’t need X-Scissor, it doesn’t hit anything meaningful that its other moves can’t handle. Knock Off is a good choice for it.

Buzzwole can already get healing from Leech Life, so I’d recommend Close Combat over Drain Punch. Notably it OHKOs Heatran and has a 50% chance to OHKO unboosted Zeraora.

Tapu Koko->Bulk Up Zeraora
Zeraora @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
Tapu Koko is not great at bring a setup sweeper. Here’s the most fun setup sweeper in the tier, with coverage to hit stuff like Ferrothorn. Now that you lack a Fairy type you have an overall worse matchup into Dragapult, but Zeraora just barely outspeeds it and can revenge kill with Knock Off.

Garchomp barely needs one Dragon move, let alone two. We can keep Draco Meteor as it’s a nice tech for opposing Garchomp (you’re better off switching out against Dragonite and Dragapult outspeeds and KOs you anyway, so Garchomp’s your main target here) but Outrage gives the opponent an easy switch into Ferrothorn or something. I’d swap it to either Flamethrower to deal with Ferrothorn or Aqua Tail to lure Lando-T. I prefer Flamethrower, myself. (If you use Flamethrower, I’d shift your 12 Defensive EVs to Special Attack.)

Glowking is great. It has a few more options it can use like Ice Beam to lure Lando-T but your set is perfectly fine.

Lando is decent at Defogging, but I think Defog Corviknight would work better here.
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
You lack a defensive Steel and nothing has reliable recovery, and Corviknight fulfills both of these, while Zeraora and Garchomp take over Lando’s Electric immunity duties.

Hope this was helpful! This is my first time doing a more in-depth RMT and changing Pokemon.

New Pokepaste:
https://pokepast.es/5db26f6360f3bc6d

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)