Troubles Running Shoddy Battle? READ Before Asking

My question:
I'm at the part of the guide where it wants me to set up a MySQL database. I go into the MySQL Command Line, and typ in "mysql -u root -p" then hit enter. I then type in "CREATE DATABASE shoddybattle;" and I get this error:

I've also tried typing "-u root -p" but it didn't make a difference. As you can see I don't have a password set up. I don't know if this matters or not. The guide didn't make it seem like I needed one. Also, I use Windows XP.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated ^_^!!

EDIT:
Okay, I THINK I got past the above error...I just didn't type the root -u/-p thing. All I did was type "CREATE DATABASE shoddybattle" then I went ahead and copy/pasted the rest of the code the guide says to include. I added a user name and password, then I opened Shoddy Battle. I typed in "localhost" and my port number...it simply says "Error: Connection refused: connect"

So....what part am I doing wrong? :(

WrongLane, I had the same problem when I transferred my files from my old Mac. For some reason, Shoddy and or Java is pointed back to your old "home" folder from the previous account, which I presume had a different name. Solution: in the Users folder, create a new folder that exactly matches the home folder of your user account on your previous Mac. That should do it. If not, try copying the hidden folder ".shoddybattle" to the newly created folder. Good luck.
Ironically I erased everything on my old mac figuring I never had to look back. Can I somehow wipe clean any connection tracing me back to my old mac and redownload as a new computer without compromising anything?

If this helps: when I attempt redownload a new shoddy it comes out shoddybattle.jnlp and is only 4 KB. There is also another 2520 KB Shoddy Battle within my Java Chache.

Very odd. very annoying. Any help would be great.

Okay, I have tried your standard logging off of the C.A.P. server and logging back on, going onto the regular Smogon server, turning off the fire wall, uninstalling and reinstalling shoddy, and I even asked about changing one's java preferences in the "simple question, simple answer" thread and got nothing useful. Nada. I still am having issues. I have been trying to find someone with the same problem. Again, nada.

So here's my problem. I can log onto a server (and I only go on either the C.A.P. server or the regular Smogon server) and view the main chat as well as go in and watch battles (some of the time). Unfortunately, when I try to go onto a ladder to battle, I have to wait about five minutes... only to get a little window that says this:

An error occured while reading a message from the server: Connection reset

Disconnect from the server? (Try again at least once.)
Then there's a little "yes" button and a little "no" button there. I can't provide a screenshot as to what this looks like, but this is pissing me off. The million dollar question I have about this is "what should I do about this?"

I have the latest version of Java on my Mac, have cleared out my cache, and I am still getting a "failed to launch application" notice. The error reads: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java/security/CodeSigner

Read the info I put at the bottom of the previous page...it tells you everything and I don't see the point of posting again just because you didn't see it.

unfortunately, this fix didn't work for me. i still get the same error message as before even with all cache files deleted and my network settings changed to "connect drectly"

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Well shoddy finally works again. If you are new to mac (come moi) the "java preferences" that is spoken of in the op is in utilities. Wish I could of found that out sooner.

So here's my problem. I can log onto a server (and I only go on either the C.A.P. server or the regular Smogon server) and view the main chat as well as go in and watch battles (some of the time). Unfortunately, when I try to go onto a ladder to battle, I have to wait about five minutes... only to get a little window that says this:

An error occured while reading a message from the server: Connection reset

Disconnect from the server? (Try again at least once.)
I have this problem true, and it's more than a little depressing. I don't think this is were we should post complaints though, but just in case here is a picture of a problem, perhaps unrelated.

As is clearly visible, the name is all messed up. Also when it goes Connection Reset, as stated, although I'm not sure whether it's just my PC, the internet stops connecting to all apps on the computer, e.g. MSN, Internet Explorer, etc. Closing and re-opening these apps does not remedy this, or logging off, a reboot has been my only solution to being able to internet again. However, the connection is still apparently connected. I'm no PC pro, as you can probably tell, but surely it isn't a security problem since it wouldn't allow access to a server. Tis botherin' me, and if anyone has a solution I will draw them a medal on MS Paint, and hand it to them personally.

In advance, thank you for helping.

First of all, I am a mac user, and I am almost positive that all the stuff on the first post to try I have done. I have tried to access shoddy two ways. One...I have the shoddy pikachu icon, but when I press it, he bounces around then disappears. My second method is the terminal one. This fails too, but gives me an error message that says:

An error occurred while launching the application

Category: Invalid Argument Error

Could not load file/URL specified:
http://shoddybattle.com/client/shoddybattle.php

Would this have anything to do with me not being able to access the site in general? I have tried to get on shoddybattle.com, but whenever I click on the link on firefox or safari it redirects to weird other sites. For example, I just clicked on the link on this post and it redirected me to a random fbi job wanting site. Please Help!

Ok, so, when I had vista (uptil two days ago) I ran shoddy without a problem, now with Windows 7 my computer will freeze randomly when shoddybattle is running

Ok, so, when I had vista (uptil two days ago) I ran shoddy without a problem, now with Windows 7 my computer will freeze randomly when shoddybattle is running
You should check your computer for a virus or something, because Java can't freeze you computer.

This fix:

Help! I have a mac/use OS X and when I start a battle the battle window stretches and I can't see my moves! What should I do!?!

This is a bug with Java 1.5 for OS X. Open your java preferences and in the Java Applications list in the General tab, make sure that Java 1.5 is not at the top of the list. Java 1.6 is the best choice, but 1.4 also works if you don't have 1.6.

Isn't working for me? Any suggestions?

I had the screen stretch problem so I went to update my Java so that it would be fixed and I cleared my cache. But in the java preferences only J2SE 1.4.2 and J2SE 5.0 showed under java applications. So I only have the options to either have a stretched screen and be unable to choose moves and battle, or have the starting error message. Is there anything I can do?

on smogon,i use my username and password and im logged in.but,on shoddy i use the right username and password,but it says my account doesn't exist.can someone tell me how to fix this?

ok this is the strangest problem i have ever seen with shoddy. A while back (june july or august; forgot exact month), shoddy worked just fine. id have battles with anyone and nothing had any problems. Then, i had taken a break from shoddy for about a week. When i returned a week later, i joined a battle and for some unknown reason, i get no options when i want to attack or change pokemon. The list of attack has disappeared, along with the list to change pokemon. i can chat just fine, but i cant do any actions. For a few months, i left this problem alone. Recently, i have come back to shoddy and the problem is still there. I use MAC OS X 10.5.8

i just did all of that and the problem is still there....

i downloaded the latest version of java for mac, reinstalled shoddy, and the window is still expanded. what could be the problem now?

I had the screen stretch problem so I went to update my Java so that it would be fixed and I cleared my cache. But in the java preferences only J2SE 1.4.2 and J2SE 5.0 showed under java applications. So I only have the options to either have a stretched screen and be unable to choose moves and battle, or have the starting error message. Is there anything I can do?
Same problem :(

I just tried running ShoddyBattle2 on my computer here at home (trying to do so at school would be insane obviously), and it installed and loaded just fine, did so pretty fast too...Then the problem came after I registered with the Smogon Server...The program was running like a snail.

Just to clarify, I have Mac OS X 10.3.9 running on an obsolete G4 Apple unit (the one shaped like an obese letter 'X') on an ACER HD monitor. We have Java 1.4.2, and I have tried to change it, but it doesn't work. We also have the filters off. The Java Applet comes up, I successfully get on ShoddyBattle, but then it is a snails pace. The Team Builder isn't registering the Pokemon whose name I put in, even if I attempt to do so manually... So what should I do?

I ahve been using Shoddy for a weeks now,and it worked perectly.But now,whenever I go to the list of servers,none of them appear,even when I refresh.Worse,I can't create any new teams or access my old ones either.

Is there any problem with the servers,or should I reinstall Shoddy?

I'm having the same problem WrongLane was having, I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 7 and now shoddy won't work, saying it can't load the sprite loader. Help please?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)