Troubles Running Shoddy Battle? READ Before Asking

Reiteration, if against rules then sorry.

I have downloaded the program for shoddy battle several times in the last months and each time I do, I get a message saying the sprites didnt load properly and that I need to download again, so I repeat and always get the same message, everything on my macbook is up to date and I would really like to play, what can I do? There haven't been any suggested answers in this thread.

K safe

I go into a battle but I can't see my moves. I updated the newest version of java and use MAC OS X. Help me please :(

Each time I try to run Shoddy Battle I receive an error message saying "Could not launch application." I have tried reinstalling both Java and Shoddy but to no avail. I also changed my Java settings to a direct connection but that has also failed to fix the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? I am running on Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1.

Here are the details of the message:

com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource: http://shoddybattle.com/client/shoddybattle.jnlp
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.updateFinalLaunchDesc(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Each time I try to run Shoddy Battle I receive an error message saying "Could not launch application." I have tried reinstalling both Java and Shoddy but to no avail. I also changed my Java settings to a direct connection but that has also failed to fix the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? I am running on Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1.
This has been the most common problem on all OS's. There hasn't been a fix mentioned besides "re-install shoddy and java" or "change java to direct connection." Neither has worked, we need someone to address this.

^ Same problem.

But besides that, I also can't access the shoddybattle website. Is it down, or is it a webfilter. In case of the later I should be able to turn it off (admin on my own computer) but I don't know how.

Every time i try to log on to the smogon server it says my password is incorrect. Ive changed my password 4 times now and its the same message...Any ideas?

i figured out most of my problems but now when i go to connect to my server, it says:

Invalid Steam Header:3E000000

i also get this in NetBeans when i press F6

init:
Deleting: C:\Documents and Settings\Karin McEnery\My Documents\NetBeansProjects\ShoddyBattle\build\built-jar.properties
deps-jar:
Updating property file: C:\Documents and Settings\Karin McEnery\My Documents\NetBeansProjects\ShoddyBattle\build\built-jar.properties
compile:
run:
Shoddy Battle (June 2007) - http://shoddybattle.com
By Colin James Fitzpatrick and Benjamin Gwin.
This program is free software.
Licensed under the GNU General Public Licence. No warranty.

Loading properties file...
Loading metagame definition file...
Loading pokemon database...
Unimplemented intrinsic ability: Stall
Loading move types for the Jewel generation...
Initialising hold items...
Loading masses...
Connecting to database...
Initialising random number generator...
Loading battle mechanics...
Creating server...
Adding shut down hook...
Saving mod data for download by client...
Caching move sets...
Unimplemented move: Natural Gift
Unimplemented move: Recycle
There are 2 unimplemented moves.
The move library is 100% implemented.
Running server...
Loading ladder definitions...
Opening a TCP/IP socket on port 3306...
Shutting down...
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketBind(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.bind(PlainSocketImpl.java:365)
at java.net.ServerSocket.bind(ServerSocket.java:319)
at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:185)
at java.net.ServerSocket.<init>(ServerSocket.java:97)
at netbattle.BattleServer.run(BattleServer.java:489)
at shoddybattle.Main.main(Main.java:388)
BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 4 seconds)

I'm having the same problem others are having: being unable to connect to the server from the login window. In particular, Shoddy doesn't crash or hang, it just fails to connect, with no error message or whatever.

I tried running it from the terminal. That was pretty interesting. When I tried connecting at this point (with a non-null username), the terminal reports that Shoddy throws a SocketException. I don't really have much a hand at debugging but it seems that somehow the request to join the server is getting malformed or something and causing MessageHandler to throw the exception.

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:130)
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:199)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$PeekInputStream.peek(ObjectInputStream.java:2265)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peek(ObjectInputStream.java:2558)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream$BlockDataInputStream.peekByte(ObjectInputStream.java:2568)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject0(ObjectInputStream.java:1314)
at java.io.ObjectInputStream.readObject(ObjectInputStream.java:368)
at netbattle.MessageHandler.getNextMessage(MessageHandler.java:114)
at shoddybattleclient.JoinServer.cmdLogInActionPerformed(JoinServer.java:400)
There's a lot of stuff earlier in the trace but I don't think it's relevant.

For some reason Shoddy is not installing on my PC like it used to. Before I uninstalled it but I am playing Pokemon again everytime I open the .jnlp file it goes straight to the server windows instead of asking me to install.

I am using Windows 7.

Edit - Figured it out.

So i downloaded shoddy, deleted my java cache, registered an account, made a team, reinstalled several times, but when i hit log in the button does nothing other than click, I just dont progress past the long in screen...any ideas?

So i downloaded shoddy, deleted my java cache, registered an account, made a team, reinstalled several times, but when i hit log in the button does nothing other than click, I just dont progress past the long in screen...any ideas?
This is the problem I had. I fixed it by restoring my router to factory defaults.

Ironically I erased everything on my old mac figuring I never had to look back. Can I somehow wipe clean any connection tracing me back to my old mac and redownload as a new computer without compromising anything?

If this helps: when I attempt redownload a new shoddy it comes out shoddybattle.jnlp and is only 4 KB. There is also another 2520 KB Shoddy Battle within my Java Chache.

Very odd. very annoying. Any help would be great.
I have yet been able to find where the preference pointing to the old home folder is, but all you have to know is the NAME of your old home folder. Basically, go to "Macintosh HD/Users" and stick a folder in there that matches the name of your old home folder (i.e., if your user account was called Bob on the old Mac, name it Bob. You will need to be an administrator and give yourself access permissions to the Users folder.) Nothing needs to be in that folder, although dropping in the hidden .shoddybattle folder might help if it still can't find it. (The app tends to automatically generate this folder if it's not in the "home" folder it's looking too, so you shouldn't have to bother.) IF you need further help (changing permissions, PM me, I'll see it faster.

Can someone tell me what this means? Like, what exactly do I do here?

"You should find us as "Smogon University" on the server list, but if you can't you can connect to shoddybattle.smogon.com on port 50000"

Here are the details of the message:
If you downloaded Java without any problems, and you were able to download the Shoddy Battle app without any problems, then what you could try is right clicking the Shoddy Battle app and click on Run As, then Run As Admin and type in your password. I don't know if that will work for you, but it's worked for others before so good luck!

Also, older versions of Java tend to have problems running on Vista in general. I'm not sure which version you installed, but here's one that does work on Vista, if all else fails you may as well give it a shot https://jdk6.dev.java.net/

That's the latest one, but if that still doesn't work what you could try is uninstalling all remnants of Java Runtime, then install JRE 1.6.0.1
And if that doesn't work then I'll feel like a dipshhh...

Well, I cleared the cache but when I try to open shoddy I get: JNLPException[category: System Configuration : Exception: null : LaunchDesc: null ]
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Main.java:271)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Main.java:111)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

I use a mac, too.

Hey guys, seem to have a problem when I try to play, it downloads alright but when I try to play is says "unable to launch this application" I have the latest version of Java and have cleared my cache but none if it seems to be working, any suggestions?

Same as the guy above. The problem just came out of nowher. Jave is fully updated, Shoddy has attempted to be re-downloaded, but it says:
<!-- Colubris -->
<!-- Default -->
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<!--iPass
<WISPAccessGatewayParam>
<Redirect>
<MessageType>100</MessageType>
<ResponseCode>0</ResponseCode>
<AccessProcedure>1.0</AccessProcedure>
<LocationName></LocationName>
<AccessLocation></AccessLocation>
<LoginURL>https://wireless.colubris.com:444/goform/HtmliPassLoginRequest</LoginURL>
<AbortLoginURL>http://wireless.colubris.com:81/goform/HtmliPassLogout</AbortLoginURL>
</Redirect>
</WISPAccessGatewayParam>
-->
<!-- Boingo
<smartClient>
<page>
<login>
<login_url>https://wireless.colubris.com:444/goform/HtmlBoingoLoginRequest</login_url>
</login>
</page>
</smartClient>
-->
</html>
(blank line is here)

with a blank line at the end. Exception is:

MissingFieldException[ The following required field is missing from the launch file: <jnlp>]
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.XMLFormat.parse(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.updateFinalLaunchDesc(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)
(blank line)

and when I try to open the shoddy program (my old one) it says:

CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified: C:\Users\shadow\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\44\5b8a586c-435e3b40]
(blank line)

wrapped exception is:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\shadow\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\44\5b8a586c-435e3b40 (The system cannot find the file specified)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
(blank line)

is there anything I'm missing or something that I still need to do?

I downloaded Shoddy Battle. I have updated my Java. I ran it and it installed fine and opened and i could see a lare list of servers. I try and connect to the smogon server or any server and shoddy battle hangs freezes for about 30 seconds and coes up with an error like 'MalformedURL something' unknown protocol: socket' and then it unfreezes. I can make nd edit teams though but can any one help me with this problem.

alright I just recently got a new laptop running windows 7 and am having trouble downloading shoddy. Each time I attempt to run it it just says "failed to find the sprite loader, redownload the jnlp file." then, whenever I attempt to log on, I immeadiately disconnected and told "an error has occured reading a message from the server: null." any help is appreciated

Did you re-download that file?
Try executing it in at your desktop or somewhere else, but not in program files directory.
Check compatibility mode and admin mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)