SS OU Trick Room team because yes

I state that I am not at all an expert in competitive Pokémon and team building in general. I'm trying to learn and this is the first team I've ever built. I found that the Trick Room strategy works very well for me and I wanted to test it. I didn't get very high in the ratings mainly due to my lack of experience in this field, but I have tried it in both singles and doubles and it seems to work. I would like some feedback from more experienced hands also to teach me something because I would like to understand more about the competitive Pokémon world, if possible :sphearical: soo please be kind

The Team
:sm/porygon2: :sm/dusknoir: :sm/reuniclus: :sm/ferrothorn: :sm/heatran: :sm/azumarill:

Trick Room setters
:sm/porygon2: :sm/dusknoir: :sm/reuniclus:
Being the ones that set me the battlefield, these three are the ones that I usually lead with. Most of the times being Porygon and Reuniclus, rare times it's up to Dusknoir
:porygon2: Porygon2 :porygon2:
:eviolite:Porygon2 @ Eviolite :eviolite:
Ability: Download
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 6 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

As I said, this little guy it's the one that I usually send out first. It has a very good special attack but it's ability it's a bit gamble because sometimes it happens that it raises its Attack, and not its Special Attack, making him almost useless, so maybe I should revisit it in my strategy. I found that it works much more in doubles battles, because it can stall with Recover while the enemy target the other Pokémon. It has a pretty good coverage as well, countering Grass and Water types flawlessly

:dusknoir: Dusknoir :dusknoir:
:sitrus berry:Dusknoir @ Sitrus Berry :sitrus berry:
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 144 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brick Break
- Memento

My annoyer guy. Its job is to tank while stalling with Will-O-Wisp and setting the Trick Room again as it being really bulky it allows it to resist almost every OHKO. In extreme situations I use it as a sacrificial pawn with Memento

:reuniclus:Reuniclus :reuniclus:
:rocky helmet:Reuniclus @ Rocky Helmet :rocky helmet:
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 208 HP / 204 SpA / 98 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Recover

My son. This guy has a huge coverage on a lot of common threats for this team such as Fight types Pokémon. It has a solid SpA and thanks to Magic Guard and the Rocky Helmet it works as a very good wall as well, so I tend to always keep them more alive as I can

Rest of the team
:sm/ferrothorn: :sm/heatran: :sm/azumarill:
:ferrothorn: Ferrothorn :ferrothorn:
:leftovers:Ferrothorn @ Leftovers :leftovers:
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Not much to say on this guy, everyone already knows him very well. My big big tank, being the slowest on earth so it counters every single opponent when the Trick Room is on makes him work very well on doubles. It also has a solid Attack, but sometimes I happened to be in the unfortunate situations of him being the last member of my team, and in that case it can't do much

:heatran: Heatran :heatran:

:leftovers:Heatran @ Leftovers :leftovers:
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Toxic

This big girl was originally a Golurk that had to be replaced with something that could counter Grass types such as Rillaboom because before her I noticed to have an awful coverage on this type, so here she is. What to say, works very well with every Trick Room setter, her very strong Earth vulnerability is countered with Azumarill and pretty much every other member of the team

:azumarill: Azumarill :azumarill:

:sitrus berry:Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry :sitrus berry:
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
-
Knock Off
Speak of the devil, this is my special guy. Whenever I can, everytime it's possible and most times I try to side by side him with another Trick Room setter to try the Belly Drum strategy, and if it survives it's pretty much done even with the Trick Room off, because their priority move allows me to sweep pretty much the entirety of the opponent team

So let me know anything that can be improved with this team because as I said I'm not an expert in competitive at all, I'm trying to learn, and I'm willing to learn so I will happily hear all of you guys! Thanks in advance, have a lovely day <3

PikaSpark

sad emoji
is a Tiering Contributor
(Major Changes)
1. Reuniclus, Dusknoir--->Hatterene, Cresselia
2. Ferrothorn ---> Marowak-Alola

Honestly, Trick Room is usually pretty limited to three setters: Hatterene :hatterene: , Pory2 :porygon2:, and Cresselia :cresselia:, as they are the best setters overall. You already have Pory2, so Hatt and Cress would be better over your other two setters. Hatterene in particular is required on Trick Room Teams thanks to its ability Magic Bounce, which allows it to bounce back Taunt and reliably set up Trick Room. After that, there's already two changed pokemon so I'm afraid I can only change one of the three abusers.
Marowak-Alola :marowak-alola: is the best abuser of Trick Room imo, not using it is criminal. Ferrothorn seems the most useless here, so swapping it for Alolawak would be preferable. The reason Ferro is the most useless is because Trick Room is usually a very offensive playstyle. You're limited to very few turns to get damage in, and you have to use extremely powerful breakers, hence why Alolawak (with its Thick Club) and Melmetal is used often on TR. Ferrothorn does little damage when compared to them, and thus is a waste of Trick Room turns.

(Minor Changes)
1. Heatran :heatran:

I think you would very much prefer something like a Choice Specs :choice-specs:+ Eruption set on Heatran. As I mentioned above, TR is a very offensive playstyle, meaning that you have to get DAMAGE in before your turns run out. Leftovers is usually used to give Heatran longevity, which on this team it does not need. I guess Offensive Air Ballon could be tested out as well.

2. Azumarill :azumarill:
So first of all, use Brave Nature Azumarill lol. You could also try testing out a Choice Banded set, though I'm not completely sure on this.

3. Porygon2 :porygon2:
A bit of a small change, but Porygon2 requires Teleport to be able to bring in your breakers safely. Run it over either Thunderbolt or Ice Beam. Also not super relevant, but the ability Trace could be run over Download to cheese a game by copying a useful ability like Flash Fire, Iron Barbs and such. Its Evs and Nature just switch it up to a full bulky spread.

While I still do think that there could be better breakers over your Azu or Heatran, this was the best I could go without changing the team more than 3 members. The Standard Trick Room looks something like this, in case you were wondering. The Final Pokepaste of your team would look like this new team right here.

Last edited:
i agree with these changes too ^
Trick Room teams generally don’t need walls/bulky pokemon at all. In Trick Room, you use strong offensive attackers to destroy the opponent’s team. You let your trick room setters take the hit whenever it’s required. This rate is gonna remove 4 out of 6 mons, mostly because of not being good in OU/being a bulky pokemon/not fitting trick room.
In singles, trick room is also more gimmicky, so it might be better to just use a different team.
https://pokepast.es/1bea7025ecef3ce4

MAJOR CHANGES
:dusknoir: -> :Hatterene:
:sm/hatterene:
Hatterene (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire
- Healing Wish

Dusknoir isn’t good in OU. Hatterene is one of the best trick room setters in the game, because of magic bounce protecting it from getted statused and taunt. Healing Wish allows you to heal Azumarill or other trick rook abusers if the belly drum sweep fails, and can also be used to safely get a mon in.

:reuniclus: / :cresselia:
:sm/cresselia:
Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Lunar Dance
- Moonblast

Reuniclus is good, but i personally would rather use Cresselia. It gives a ground type immunity for the team, and can Lunar Dance to restore health or get mons in safely. This is just my personal preference though.

:ferrothorn: -> :melmetal:
:heatran: -> :marowak-alola:
:sm/melmetal:
Melmetal @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch
:sm/marowak-alola:
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake

On trick room teams, you need strong wallbreakers, and not bulky pokemon like Ferrothorn and Heatran. Marowak-Alola and Melmetal help out Azumarill in weakening walls for Azumarill to sweep later in the game.

MINOR CHANGES
:porygon2: Ability: Download -> Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
Trace helps out by doing stuff like intimidating Landorus-Therian, being immune to Zeraora’s electric type attacks due to volt absorb, gaining regenerator from slowbro or toxapex, etc.

(Major Changes)
1. Reuniclus, Dusknoir--->Hatterene, Cresselia
2. Ferrothorn ---> Marowak-Alola

Honestly, Trick Room is usually pretty limited to three setters: Hatterene :hatterene: , Pory2 :porygon2:, and Cresselia :cresselia:, as they are the best setters overall. You already have Pory2, so Hatt and Cress would be better over your other two setters. Hatterene in particular is required on Trick Room Teams thanks to its ability Magic Bounce, which allows it to bounce back Taunt and reliably set up Trick Room. After that, there's already two changed pokemon so I'm afraid I can only change one of the three abusers.
Marowak-Alola :marowak-alola: is the best abuser of Trick Room imo, not using it is criminal. Ferrothorn seems the most useless here, so swapping it for Alolawak would be preferable. The reason Ferro is the most useless is because Trick Room is usually a very offensive playstyle. You're limited to very few turns to get damage in, and you have to use extremely powerful breakers, hence why Alolawak (with its Thick Club) and Melmetal is used often on TR. Ferrothorn does little damage when compared to them, and thus is a waste of Trick Room turns.

(Minor Changes)
1. Heatran :heatran:

I think you would very much prefer something like a Choice Specs :choice-specs:+ Eruption set on Heatran. As I mentioned above, TR is a very offensive playstyle, meaning that you have to get DAMAGE in before your turns run out. Leftovers is usually used to give Heatran longevity, which on this team it does not need. I guess Offensive Air Ballon could be tested out as well.

2. Azumarill :azumarill:
So first of all, use Brave Nature Azumarill lol. You could also try testing out a Choice Banded set, though I'm not completely sure on this.

3. Porygon2 :porygon2:
A bit of a small change, but Porygon2 requires Teleport to be able to bring in your breakers safely. Run it over either Thunderbolt or Ice Beam. Also not super relevant, but the ability Trace could be run over Download to cheese a game by copying a useful ability like Flash Fire, Iron Barbs and such. Its Evs and Nature just switch it up to a full bulky spread.

While I still do think that there could be better breakers over your Azu or Heatran, this was the best I could go without changing the team more than 3 members. The Standard Trick Room looks something like this, in case you were wondering. The Final Pokepaste of your team would look like this new team right here.
Omg tysm, I wasn't expecting this detailed feedback I will apply the changes rn. I don't know why I didn't contemplate Eruption on Heatran on the first place xD and for some reason I thought Alolawak is an extremely fast Pokémon, I personally like it very much so I will surely implement them in my team. Seeing the standard team that you sent me, can Crawdant be a good replacement for Azumarill? Because in that case I would choose whether to radically change the team or not

i agree with these changes too ^
Trick Room teams generally don’t need walls/bulky pokemon at all. In Trick Room, you use strong offensive attackers to destroy the opponent’s team. You let your trick room setters take the hit whenever it’s required. This rate is gonna remove 4 out of 6 mons, mostly because of not being good in OU/being a bulky pokemon/not fitting trick room.
In singles, trick room is also more gimmicky, so it might be better to just use a different team.
https://pokepast.es/1bea7025ecef3ce4

MAJOR CHANGES
:dusknoir: -> :Hatterene:
:sm/hatterene:
Hatterene (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Mystical Fire
- Healing Wish

Dusknoir isn’t good in OU. Hatterene is one of the best trick room setters in the game, because of magic bounce protecting it from getted statused and taunt. Healing Wish allows you to heal Azumarill or other trick rook abusers if the belly drum sweep fails, and can also be used to safely get a mon in.

:reuniclus: / :cresselia:
:sm/cresselia:
Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Lunar Dance
- Moonblast

Reuniclus is good, but i personally would rather use Cresselia. It gives a ground type immunity for the team, and can Lunar Dance to restore health or get mons in safely. This is just my personal preference though.

:ferrothorn: -> :melmetal:
:heatran: -> :marowak-alola:
:sm/melmetal:
Melmetal @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- Thunder Punch
:sm/marowak-alola:
Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake

On trick room teams, you need strong wallbreakers, and not bulky pokemon like Ferrothorn and Heatran. Marowak-Alola and Melmetal help out Azumarill in weakening walls for Azumarill to sweep later in the game.

MINOR CHANGES
:porygon2: Ability: Download -> Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
Trace helps out by doing stuff like intimidating Landorus-Therian, being immune to Zeraora’s electric type attacks due to volt absorb, gaining regenerator from slowbro or toxapex, etc.
I really appreciate the fact that you took your time to format all this, fr :eeveehide: I will change my team rn with all this informations. Tysm <3

Like others have said, Trick Room is basically baked down to a science in OU.

Hatterene stops hazard stacking, or at least delays it.

Porygon2 let’s you set up on ghosts and Teleport out to breakers risk free.

Cresselia is supremely fat and revives a breaker from near death.

The only other setters I would advocate for include Colbur Berry Slowbro, which lures Dark types and hits them with Body Press (a niche other setters struggle with), while also providing Teleport pivots, passive healing with Regenerator, and a handy water resist for the rain MU. There’s also Victini which is great as an offensive TR setter than can force progress with Final Gambit against things that ought to wall it.

Breakers can be a bit more varied, but Marowak is basically unwallable and should be used at all cost. Crawdaunt is also great, although it gets forced out by Rillaboom and can get walled by Tapu Fini.

You also need a way to deal with Substitutes, as TR setters are often passive, so Melmetal is commonly a great one to use with DIB. I’ve also experimented with Specs Toxitricity to good effect as Overdrive, Boomburst and Snarl all bypass Subs, and Volt Switch ensures it isn’t dead weight against special walls like Blissey and Glowking.

Other good options for breakers include Band Dhelmise, Band or SD Tapu Bulu, Specs Eruption Torkoal, and Flame Orb Guts / Life Force Sheer Force Conkeldurr.

Like others have said, Trick Room is basically baked down to a science in OU.

Hatterene stops hazard stacking, or at least delays it.

Porygon2 let’s you set up on ghosts and Teleport out to breakers risk free.

Cresselia is supremely fat and revives a breaker from near death.

The only other setters I would advocate for include Colbur Berry Slowbro, which lures Dark types and hits them with Body Press (a niche other setters struggle with), while also providing Teleport pivots, passive healing with Regenerator, and a handy water resist for the rain MU. There’s also Victini which is great as an offensive TR setter than can force progress with Final Gambit against things that ought to wall it.

Breakers can be a bit more varied, but Marowak is basically unwallable and should be used at all cost. Crawdaunt is also great, although it gets forced out by Rillaboom and can get walled by Tapu Fini.

You also need a way to deal with Substitutes, as TR setters are often passive, so Melmetal is commonly a great one to use with DIB. I’ve also experimented with Specs Toxitricity to good effect as Overdrive, Boomburst and Snarl all bypass Subs, and Volt Switch ensures it isn’t dead weight against special walls like Blissey and Glowking.

Other good options for breakers include Band Dhelmise, Band or SD Tapu Bulu, Specs Eruption Torkoal, and Flame Orb Guts / Life Force Sheer Force Conkeldurr.
Tysm, I will try to make a team out of these suggestions so I have a bit of variety that I can test out. Thank you again <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)