BSS Toxapex

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
:sv/toxapex:

So much for Toxapex dying out lol

Return Of The Pex (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge / Leftovers / Mental Herb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Tera Type: Poison / Grass / Fairy
Bold / Careful Nature
- Recover
- Baneful Bunker / Toxic
- Toxic / Toxic Spikes
- Toxic Spikes / Haze / Chilling Water / Liquidation

[SET COMMENTS]

* With the rise of powerful defensive Pokemon such as Wo-Chien and Dragonite, Toxapex stands out as a masterful spreader of poison to support its teammates!

* **Baneful Bunker**: If using Black Sludge or Leftovers, Baneful Bunker is a fantastic way to spread poison against physical attackers and get some extra recovery with one moveslot. It's also key for scouting dangerous uses of Trick from the likes of Gholdengo and Rotom-W.

* **Toxic versus Toxic Spikes**: Toxic is the more reliable way to spread the deadliest version of poison and is especially effective against Taunt users like Annihilape if using Mental Herb. Toxic Spikes makes the team less reliant on Toxapex to spread status, which acts as excellent support for stalling teammates like Wo-Chien and Dragonite.

* **Haze**: Even with Toxapex's great bulk, powerful setup sweepers like Chien-Pao and Dragonite quickly get out of control for it, so Haze is the best solution to prevent Toxapex from being setup bait.

* **Chilling Water versus Liquidation**: Chilling Water gives Toxapex another tool against physical sweepers, though it does make it vulnerable to the occasional Defiant Annihilape. Liqudation isn't particularly strong, but with an Impish or Careful nature, it allows Toxapex to 2HKO Chi-Yu and offensive Iron Moth.

* **Physically Defensive versus Specially Defensive**: Physically defensive Toxapex does well against some hard-to-check threats, such as Chien-Pao and Palafin. Specially defensive Toxapex, on the other hand, has a better shot of beating Iron Moth and Choice Scarf Chi-Yu.

Other Options
========

* **Infestation**: Infestation is Toxapex's best chance of doing chip damage to Toxic-immune threats, such as Corviknignt and Gholdengo, and the trapping works fairly well against foes that do have problems with Toxic. It also prevents double switching from being an issue for Toxapex.

* **Sludge Bomb**: Toxapex's meager offenses and issues with Steel-types usually make Sludge Bomb a niche option, but it does have a great shot of 2HKOing Iron Bundle if using Tera Poison.

Tera Types
========

**Tera Dependency - Low**: While Terastallization can help Toxapex beat a new set of threats, its bulk and good defensive typing usually makes it a rare occurrence compared to its teammates.

* **Poison**: Besides making Toxapex far less vulnerable to Electric, which some foes like Chien-Pao and Baxcalibur may Terastallize into, Tera Poison retains the ability to restore health with Black Sludge.

* **Grass**: Tera Grass can prevent Breloom, Amoonguss, and Brute Bonnet from being disastrous with Spore, in addition to doing well against Rotom-W.

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy can save Toxapex from taking massive damage from Chi-Yu's Dark Pulse and generally does well against powerful Dragon-type attacks such as Choice Band Dragonite's Outrage and Choice Specs Dragapult's Draco Meteor.

* *Flying**: Tera Flying not only protects Toxapex from its irritating Ground-type weakness but also means bulky users of Fissure, such as Dondozo and Ting-Lu, will no longer pressure Toxapex.

* **Bug**: While the Stealth Rock weakness can be an issue, Tera Bug is a niche way to resist Ground-type attacks while being neutral to both Ice- and Electric-type moves, unlike other methods.

* **Normal**: While Normal isn't an impressive defensive type, Tera Normal can punish Choice locked Ghost-types, such as Flutter Mane and Gholdengo.

Items
========

* **Black Sludge versus Leftovers**: Having passive healing works wonderfully with Baneful Bunker. Black Sludge is a clever way to get around Item Clause, but Leftovers gives Toxapex more freedom in choosing its Tera type.

* **Mental Herb**: With Mental Herb providing one-time protection from Taunt, Toxapex can surprise foes like Annihilape and Ting-Lu with Toxic, which is especially helpful if not running an attack.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/theorymon.29010/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/starkgod.62165/
Grammar checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/clas.545372/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/autumn.384270/

Last edited:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol damn it, this ended up a bit longer than I expected because Toxapex actually has quite a few viable tera types.. at least the rest of it is simple though!

Just note I didn't really get fancy with the EV spreads, but if anyone has any non 252 / 252 spreads, I'm open to hearing them! Otherwise, this is ready for a QC check!

Toxapex @ Assault Vest
Level: 50
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Infestation

Throwing this in cause it's seen some success in multiple formats. Worth mentioning. I'll see if I find anymore. Cause I do remember another defensive spread going around that was like 124 spdef or something.

Anyway, looks good.

Theorymon

Toxapex @ Assault Vest
Level: 50
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Infestation

Throwing this in cause it's seen some success in multiple formats. Worth mentioning. I'll see if I find anymore. Cause I do remember another defensive spread going around that was like 124 spdef or something.

Anyway, looks good.
Ah yeah, I was wondering about that honestly, I remember Pearl was talking about trying it out in BSS, I will admit I have yet to actually see an AV Toxapex though, and I haven't used it so I probably shouldn't write that quite yet. I'm thinking if its good though, we can always just have another write up later!

Anyways at least for this set, time for GP Team

I feel like, w/ Toxic Spikes anyway, Venoshock is an option IF you'd otherwise be using Sludge Bomb. Acid Spray makes sense to me, at least on AV.

Clas

my main tier is yes
is a Tiering Contributor
AMQC!
:sv/toxapex:

So much for Toxapex dying out lol

Bold / Careful Nature
- Recover
- Baneful Bunker / Toxic
- Toxic / Toxic Spikes
- Toxic Spikes / Haze / Chilling Water / Liquidation shorten to 3 unless necessary thx, id argue its possibly fine here but just in case

[SET COMMENTS]

* With the rise of powerful defensive Pokemon such as Wo-Chien and Dragonite, Toxapex stands out as a masterful spreader of the Poison status to support their win conditions!

* **Baneful Bunker**: If using Black Sludge or Leftovers, Baneful Bunker is a fantastic way to spread the Poison status against physical attackers and get some extra recovery with one moveslot. It's also key for scouting dangerous uses of Trick from the likes of Gholdengo and Rotom-W.

* **Toxic versus Toxic Spikes**: Toxic is the more reliable way to spread the deadliest version of the Poison status, and is especially effective against Taunt users like Annihilape if using Mental Herb. Toxic Spikes makes the team less reliant on Toxapex to spread status, which can act acts active > passive voice as excellent support for stalling teammates like Wo-Chien and Dragonite.

* **Haze**: Even with Toxapex's great bulk, powerful set-up sweepers like Chien-Pao and Dragonite quickly get out of control for it, so Haze is the best solution to prevent Toxapex from being set-up bait.

* **Chilling Water versus Liquidation**: Chilling Water gives Toxapex another tool against physical sweepers, though it does make it vulnerable to the occasional Defiant Annihilape. Liqudation isn't particularly strong, but with an Impish or Careful nature, it allows Toxapex to 2HKO Chi-Yu and offensive Iron Moth.

* **Physically Defensive versus Specially Defensive**: Physically defensive Toxapex does well against some hard to check hard-to-check threats, such as Chien-Pao and Palafin-H. Specially Ddefensive Toxapex, (AC) on the other hand, has a better shot of beating Iron Moth and Choice Scarf Chi-Yu.

Other Options
========

* **Infestation**: Infestation is Toxapex's best chance of doing chip damage to Toxic immune Toxic-immune threats, such as Corviknignt and Gholdengo, and the trapping works fairly well against foes that do have problems with Toxic. maybe mention that it can also function as a safe switch tool, qc territory tho

* **Sludge Bomb**: Toxapex's meager offenses and issues with Steel-types usually make Sludge Bomb a niche option, but it does have a shot of 2HKOing Iron Bundle if using Tera Poison. how good a shot? okay? decent? good?

Tera Types
========

**Tera Dependency - Low**: While Terstasllization Terastallization can help Toxapex beat a new set of threats, its bulk and good defensive typing usually makes it a rare occurrence compared to its teammates.

* **Poison**: Besides making Toxapex far less vulnerable to Electric types Electric-types that some foes like Chien-Pao and Baxcalibur may Terastallize into, Tera Poison retains the ability to restore health with Black Sludge.

* **Grass**: Tera Grass can prevent Breloom, Amoonguss, and Brute Bonnet from being disastrous scenarios with Spore, in addition to doing well against Rotom-W.

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy can save Chi-Yu Toxapex from taking massive damage from Chi-Yu's Dark Pulse, and generally does well against powerful Dragon-type attacks such as Choice Band Dragonite's Outrage and Choice Specs Dragapult's Draco Meteor.

* *Flying**: Tera Flying not only protects Toxapex from its irritating Ground-type weakness, (RC) but it also means bulky users of Fissure, (AC) such as Dondozo and Ting-Lu, (AC) will no longer pressure Toxapex.

* **Bug**: While the Stealth Rock weakness can be an issue, Tera Bug is a niche way to resist Ground-type attacks, being neutral to both Ice and Electric moves, (AC) unlike other methods.

* **Normal**: While Normal isn't an impressive defensive type, Tera Normal can punish Choice Item locked Ghost-types, (AC) such as Flutter Mane and Gholdengo.

Items
========

* **Black Sludge versus Leftovers**: Having passive healing works wonderfully with Baneful Bunker. Black Sludge is a clever way to get around Item Clause, but Leftovers gives Toxapex more freedom in choosing its Tera type.

* **Mental Herb**: With Mental Herb providing one-time protection from Taunt, Toxapex can surprise foes like Annihilape and Ting-Lu with Toxic, which is especially helpful if not running an attack.

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
1/1 GP Team done credit both of us
Bold / Careful Nature
- Recover
- Baneful Bunker / Toxic
- Toxic / Toxic Spikes
- Toxic Spikes / Haze / Chilling Water / Liquidation shorten to 3 unless necessary thx, id argue its possibly fine here but just in case

[SET COMMENTS]

* With the rise of powerful defensive Pokemon such as Wo-Chien and Dragonite, Toxapex stands out as a masterful spreader of the Poison status poison to support their win conditions its teammates!

* **Baneful Bunker**: If using Black Sludge or Leftovers, Baneful Bunker is a fantastic way to spread the Poison status poison against physical attackers and get some extra recovery with one moveslot. It's also key for scouting dangerous uses of Trick from the likes of Gholdengo and Rotom-W.

* **Toxic versus Toxic Spikes**: Toxic is the more reliable way to spread the deadliest version of the Poison status poison (RC) and is especially effective against Taunt users like Annihilape if using Mental Herb. Toxic Spikes makes the team less reliant on Toxapex to spread status, which can act acts active > passive voice as excellent support for stalling teammates like Wo-Chien and Dragonite.

* **Haze**: Even with Toxapex's great bulk, powerful set-up setup sweepers like Chien-Pao and Dragonite quickly get out of control for it, so Haze is the best solution to prevent Toxapex from being set-up setup bait.

* **Physically Defensive versus Specially Defensive**: Physically defensive Toxapex does well against some hard to check hard-to-check threats, such as Chien-Pao and Palafin-H. Specially Ddefensive Toxapex, (AC) on the other hand, has a better shot of beating Iron Moth and Choice Scarf Chi-Yu.

Other Options
========

* **Infestation**: Infestation is Toxapex's best chance of doing chip damage to Toxic immune Toxic-immune threats, such as Corviknignt and Gholdengo, and the trapping works fairly well against foes that do have problems with Toxic. maybe mention that it can also function as a safe switch tool, qc territory tho

* **Sludge Bomb**: Toxapex's meager offenses and issues with Steel-types usually make Sludge Bomb a niche option, but it does have a shot of 2HKOing Iron Bundle if using Tera Poison. how good a shot? okay? decent? good?

Tera Types
========

**Tera Dependency - Low**: While Terstasllization Terastallization can help Toxapex beat a new set of threats, its bulk and good defensive typing usually makes it a rare occurrence compared to its teammates.

* **Poison**: Besides making Toxapex far less vulnerable to Electric, (AC) which types that some foes like Chien-Pao and Baxcalibur may Terastallize into, Tera Poison retains the ability to restore health with Black Sludge.

* **Grass**: Tera Grass can prevent Breloom, Amoonguss, and Brute Bonnet from being disastrous scenarios with Spore, in addition to doing well against Rotom-W.

* **Fairy**: Tera Fairy can save Chi-Yu Toxapex from taking massive damage from Chi-Yu's Dark Pulse (RC) and generally does well against powerful Dragon-type attacks such as Choice Band Dragonite's Outrage and Choice Specs Dragapult's Draco Meteor.

* *Flying**: Tera Flying not only protects Toxapex from its irritating Ground-type weakness, (RC) but it also means bulky users of Fissure, (AC) such as Dondozo and Ting-Lu, (AC) will no longer pressure Toxapex.

* **Bug**: While the Stealth Rock weakness can be an issue, Tera Bug is a niche way to resist Ground-type attacks (RC) while being neutral to both Ice- and Electric-type moves, (AC) unlike other methods.

* **Normal**: While Normal isn't an impressive defensive type, Tera Normal can punish Choice Item locked Ghost-types, (AC) such as Flutter Mane and Gholdengo.

Items
========

[CREDITS]
Written by:
Quality checked by:
Grammar checked by:

Theorymon

Sorry this took a while to get too, had some pretty serious real life stuff happen and had to take a break.

I implemented everything except the moveset change, since you said it was probably fine in this case, and I had a reallly hard time removing any of those 4 moves from the last slot because they're all really important "Toxapex variants" so to speak.

Otherwise, this is finally done, time to put Toxapex onsite and catch up with QC stuff (and also finish my freaking RMT LOL)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)