Ubers Toxapex

SiTuM

destined for greatness
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Scald
move 2: Recover
move 3: Haze
move 4: Toxic / Toxic Spikes / Baneful Bunker
item: Shed Shell / Black Sludge
ability: Regenerator
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

[SET COMMENTS]
Thanks to its ability and typing, Toxapex is able to check and beat some dominant Pokemon in the metagame. Scald allows it to threaten a burn against some Pokemon that would be able to come in without a problem otherwise like Zacian-C and Excadrill. Recover is used to regain Toxapex's HP, and Toxapex can also take advantage of Regenerator behind it if it was not enough. Haze is an emergency move that helps to stop a potential sweep from Zacian-C or Zamazenta or to stop Eternatus from using Cosmic Power. The last move can be either Toxic, to put foes like Quagsire, Hippowdon, Tyranitar, and Zamazenta on a timer; Toxic Spikes, to prevent defensive or offensive threats from coming in freely and to help Toxapex's teammates, even if the common Eternatus or an opposing Toxapex can get rid of them easily; or Baneful Bunker, to scout a move or rack up an additional turn of burn or poison. The EVs allow Toxapex to check Zamazenta, Galarian Darmanitan, and Dracovish so it can easily scout what their moves will be. It also helps tanking an Earthquake from Hippowdon, Excadrill, Quagsire, or Dugtrio and use a free Scald or Toxic. The item used here is Shed Shell so Toxapex can't be trapped by Gothitelle or Dugtrio. Toxapex can opt for a maximum Special Defense EVs with a Calm nature to take two Dynamax Cannons from Eternatus or to check Dragapult more adequately, but it can't offer much else over the physically defensive spread. Toxapex faces the competition from other defensive Pokemon like Quagsire, which thanks to Unaware can easily check Zacian, or Rotom-W, which thanks to its typing can easily check Gyarados.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[SiTuM, 274590]]
- Quality checked by: [[Minority, 222996], [Cynara, 224455]]
- Grammar checked by: [[The Dutch Plumberjack, 232216]]

Last edited by a moderator:

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
I wonder if a physically defensive spread would be better-- Eternatus is basically the only thing that spdef is better for (full physdef already lives one Max Lightning from Rotoms), and even then, Toxapex is still a shaky check to it.
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Eternatus Dynamax Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 130-153 (42.7 - 50.3%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Eternatus Dynamax Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 142-169 (46.7 - 55.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
Not to mention that it can do very little back to Eternatus anyway.

Shed Shell should be slashed as the primary item, in my opinion, for Gothitelle / Dugtrio.

SiTuM

destined for greatness
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I wonder if a physically defensive spread would be better-- Eternatus is basically the only thing that spdef is better for (full physdef already lives one Max Lightning from Rotoms), and even then, Toxapex is still a shaky check to it.
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Eternatus Dynamax Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 130-153 (42.7 - 50.3%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Eternatus Dynamax Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 142-169 (46.7 - 55.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
Not to mention that it can do very little back to Eternatus anyway.

Shed Shell should be slashed as the primary item, in my opinion, for Gothitelle / Dugtrio.
i've discussed it with cynara on discord, but i think spdef is better for toxapex as phys def would virtually not do anything better, as the only correct things it would do is check zacian-c without wild charge (that doesnt exist), zamazenta without wild charge (that doesnt exist), or gyarados without sub (that doesnt exist).

bigtalk

Banned deucer.
I was thinking for the same reasons that the OU analysis has it physdef, mainly to handle gdarm and rain abusers like Barraskewda / Dracovish better, as well as needing more chip before Dugtrio can trap you. Also, it actually does help vs Zamazenta:
252+ Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 226-266 (74.3 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 172-204 (56.5 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
While you obviously can't stay in on the second Wild Charge, it means that you take a lot less damage from going pex to scout -> ground type afterwards (net 30% instead of 55% factoring in regen).

Black Sludge is still probably justifiable, especially if you end up deciding to keep spdef, because you need it to avoid the 2hko from orb Eternatus. I meant to slash it as the second option like "Shed Shell / Black Sludge".

SiTuM

destined for greatness
I was thinking for the same reasons that the OU analysis has it physdef, mainly to handle gdarm and rain abusers like Barraskewda / Dracovish better, as well as needing more chip before Dugtrio can trap you. Also, it actually does help vs Zamazenta:
252+ Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 226-266 (74.3 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 172-204 (56.5 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
While you obviously can't stay in on the second Wild Charge, it means that you take a lot less damage from going pex to scout -> ground type afterwards (net 30% instead of 55% factoring in regen).

Black Sludge is still probably justifiable, especially if you end up deciding to keep spdef, because you need it to avoid the 2hko from orb Eternatus. I meant to slash it as the second option like "Shed Shell / Black Sludge".
yeah i'll slash black sludge for the roll on eternatus, thanks

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm convinced that physically defensive is better on this Pokemon because Specially Defensive doesn't offer anything tangible. Modest Eternatus 2HKOs you anyway, you can still get dropped by Timid Eternatus due to hazards, and at best you play for a PP war. You are 2HKOed by Polteageist and do little back. Dragapult tbolts you and Rotoms just Volt of course. You're not even guaranteed to beat Zard. You lose to literally every single special attacker.

Phys Def at least helps protect you against rando beatstick phys attackers like Darm and Dracovish, EQ mons like Hippo, Quag, Exca, and Dugtrio, and doggos that don't have coverage for you for some reason.

Use max set phys def and update prose accordingly. Rest looks good.

QC: 1/2

SiTuM

destined for greatness
I'm convinced that physically defensive is better on this Pokemon because Specially Defensive doesn't offer anything tangible. Modest Eternatus 2HKOs you anyway, you can still get dropped by Timid Eternatus due to hazards, and at best you play for a PP war. You are 2HKOed by Polteageist and do little back. Dragapult tbolts you and Rotoms just Volt of course. You're not even guaranteed to beat Zard. You lose to literally every single special attacker.

Phys Def at least helps protect you against rando beatstick phys attackers like Darm and Dracovish, EQ mons like Hippo, Quag, Exca, and Dugtrio, and doggos that don't have coverage for you for some reason.

Use max set phys def and update prose accordingly. Rest looks good.

QC: 1/2
done

the prose doesn't match the analysis and minority's qc check, nor does the set name and nature. put some more effort into reviewing your content before this gets further feedback.

Cynara

Banned deucer.
but Black Sludge in combination of 252 SpD to live 2 Dynamax Cannon of Life Orb Eternatus can also be possible.
This does not reflect the ev spread or nature of the analysis. Guess its content left over from the previous Special defensive set. Just remove it, if so

QC: 2/2

SiTuM

destined for greatness
This does not reflect the ev spread or nature of the analysis. Guess its content left over from the previous Special defensive set. Just remove it, if so

QC: 2/2
no, i just wanted to say you can also play a spdef set to check eternatus with black sludge, but i'll remove it if you want

Cynara

Banned deucer.
no, i just wanted to say you can also play a spdef set to check eternatus with black sludge, but i'll remove it if you want
mentioning this is also fine, but your intentions with this were not clear to me reading it. Reword it so it reads like that in the prose, such as 'Toxapex can opt for a 252 Spdef with a Calm nature to do X (x being the Eternatus mention etc) but can't offer much else over the physical defensive spread.'

SiTuM

destined for greatness
mentioning this is also fine, but your intentions with this were not clear to me reading it. Reword it so it reads like that in the prose, such as 'Toxapex can opt for a 252 Spdef with a Calm nature to do X (x being the Eternatus mention etc) but can't offer much else over the physical defensive spread.'
thanks, fixed + ready for gp

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/1
use the method shown in https://spo.ink/gpvideo to implement pls
[SET]
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Scald
move 2: Recover
move 3: Haze
move 4: Toxic / Toxic Spikes / Baneful Bunker
item: Shed Shell / Black Sludge
ability: Regenerator
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
nature: Bold

[SET COMMENTS]
Thanks to his its ability and type typing, Toxapex is able to check and beat some dominant Pokemons Pokemon in the metagame. Its main move is Scald, which allows him it to threaten of a burn against some Pokemon that would be able to come in without a problem otherwise like Zacian-C or and Excadrill. Recover is used to regain its Toxapex's HP, and also to abuse the fact he has Toxapex can also take advantage of Regenerator behind it if it was not enough. Haze is an emergency move which that helps to stop a potential sweep from Zacian-C (RC) or Zamazenta (RC) or to stop Eternatus from using Cosmic Power. The last move can be either be Toxic, to put things foes like Quagsire, Hippowdon, Tyranitar, and Zamazenta on a timer; (SC) Toxic Spikes, (AC) to prevent defensive or offensive assets threats from coming in freely and to help its mates Toxapex's teammates, even if the common Eternatus or an other opposing Toxapex can get rid of Toxic Spikes them easily; (SC) or Baneful Bunker, (AC) to scout a move or gain rack up an additional turn of burn or poison. The EVs used here are allow Toxapex to check Zamazenta, Galarian Darmanitan-Galar, (AC) and Dracovish (RC) so Toxapex it can easily scout what their moves will be. It also helps living tanking an Earthquake from Hippowdon, Excadrill, Quagsire, (AC) or Dugtrio to have and use a free Scald or Toxic. The item used here is Shed Shell so it Toxapex can't be trapped by Gothitelle or Dugtrio. (period) even if (not sure if / how these two sentences connect at all?) Toxapex can opt for a 252 Spdef maximum Special Defense EVs with a Calm nature to live take 2 two Dynamax Cannons from Eternatus or to check more properly Dragapult more adequately, but it can't offer much else over the physically defensive spread. He Toxapex faces the competition of from other defensive Pokemons Pokemon like Quagsire, which thanks to Unaware can easily check Zacian, or Rotom-Wash, which thanks to its typing can easily check Gyarados.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[SiTuM, 274590]]
- Quality checked by: [[Minority, 222996], [Cynara, 224455]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)