SM PU Torterra-Lycanroc BO

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
This team was a combined effort between myself and twitch.tv/Bag_of_Trixx. This team has seen a ton of play on high ladder games as well as in tournament play. It also has seen quite of bit of success from some of PU's strongest players. This team was recognized as a strong team and that's why we decided to share it with the rest of the PU community. Endorsed by 2xTheTap!

Due to the recent tier shift, we wanted to utilize Torterra's amazing capabilities in the tier as a pivot for PU's more famous leads in Eelektross and Mudsdale. But we still wanted to be able to handle Torterra's main weaknesses in Flying and Ice which is why we wanted to pair with a fast Rock type like Lycanroc. This was the main focus of the team and we built around them accordingly.

Torterra @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 240 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Synthesis
- Stealth Rock

Started with SpDef Rocks Torterra due to it just falling from tier shifts. It serves as the rocker for the team while also checking some of PU's main threats such as Eelektross, Victreebel, Mudsdale, Regirock, Skuntank, and perhaps Lanturn. Torterra also has a niche purpose being recognized as an anti-lead. EV spread allows Torterra to always 2HKO Eelektross with Wood Hammer and Flamethrower is always a 3HKO from Eelektross (due to Shell Armor). Also, the reasoning behind defensive Torterra contrary to offensive rocks is to allow the team to have better pivots on the likes of Skuntank and Victreebel.

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang
- Accelerock

Lycanroc is acting as a fast offensive check to most of Torterra's prominent weaknesses in the tier such as Dodrio, Cryogonal, Abomasnow, Rotom-Frost, Aurorus, the Oricorios (Pom Pom and Sensu), and Sandslash-A if weakened and not in hail. Fire Fang is the tech of choice to deal with Bronzor, Ferroseed, and Sandslash-A. Utilizing the Z-move on Lycanroc allows it to pose an immediate threat if SD is not safe.

Rotom-Frost @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-Frost is our hazard control for the team as well as an offensive check to Sandslash-A being able to resist its main STAB in Icicle Crash that threatens the team. As well as resisting both typings Torterra doesn't appreciate in Ice and Flying. Rotom acts as a backup check to these typings if Lycanroc is not prepared to deal with them. Wiki Berry is the preferred item because it provides a sufficient recovery option not in Pain Split and because of this it allows Rotom to carry a move such as Will-O-Wisp. Also Wiki Berry is the preferred berry over the others because of physical attackers using Switcheroo, Trick or Bug Bite. It also gives a VoltTurn initiative with the likes of Silvally-Fairy and Lanturn.

Silvally-Fairy @ Fairy Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Flame Charge
- Multi-Attack
- Swords Dance
- U-turn

Fairyvally acts as an offensive Fighting check as well as a breaker for the team. It also provides some much appreciated speed control with the use of Flame Charge. Fairyvally allows the team to break through Gurdurr, which Lycanroc cannot handle. It also gives the team a Dark resist which Musharna appreciates. U-turn is the preferred 4th move on SD Fairyvally to avoid bad matchups against the likes of Metang or Tangela (both of which are easily handled by Torterra or Rotom-Frost, respectively).

Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 164 Def / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Moonlight

Musharna serves a defensive Fighting check for the team. Being able to handle Hitmonchan, Gurdurr, and Primeape which all of the previous teammates struggle with at times. Colbur Berry is preferred it gives Mushy a way to punish Dark types who stay in on it. Hidden Power Fire acts a way to handle Sandslash-A and Ferroseed as well as hitting Bronzor for Lycanroc's ease. The EV spread allows Mushy to outspeed Gurdurr and maximize its attack power.

Lanturn @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Scarf Lanturn is the unique speed control for the team as it performs as a utility scarfer. Being able to provide a much needed check for the likes of Lycanroc, Simisear, Dodrio, Jellicent, opposing Rotom-F, Sandslash-A outside of hail, Carracosta, both Oricorios, and a weakened Victreebel. It also acts as a surprise factor which typically catches opponents off guard giving the team a much appreciated advantage. Due to its typing, it provides outstanding resistances for the entirety of the team like Ice, Fire, Flying, Electric, Water, and Steel.

Here's a link to the team: https://pokepast.es/3edf59b4fc3e4e38

WEAKNESSES: Skuntank and Bronzor are problems if they're not handled correctly. It's the reasoning behind bulky Torterra and the interesting techs on Lycanroc, Musharna, Fairyvally, and Lanturn. Cryogonal can also be difficult to switch into at times, however, Will O on Rotom can be switched to Toxic if need be. Hail can potentially be a problem but Rotom-F and Lanturn can handle it if played correctly.

Shoutout to gum for the Musharna set and scarf Lanturn ideas!​

Bag of Trixx

I like to call it a passion
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm so happy that this team is finally getting the recognition it deserves! Massive shoutout to Oathkeepre for helping with the creation of the team and all of the vigorous testing, gum for the incredibly unique ideas behind 2 of our mons on the team, 2xTheTap for the high praise regarding the team in the PU Chatroom, as well as the plethora of people who are spamming this team on high-ladder play on Showdown and in tournaments!

Next step: PU Samples!

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello Oathkeepre and twitch.tv/Bag_of_Trixx,

Very cool team you guys got here. No big questionable set or Pokemon decisions, but I would expect as much from you two. I like the idea of having Lycanroc on a bulky team as it really helps in getting chip damage off for it it in order to clean up. Musharna is also super cool here as it gives you a decent breaker as well that can pivot in and out while still racking up varying amounts of damage even if it needs to switch out right away just flows really well with a Pokemon like Lycanroc. I do feel this team is really over prepared for Ferroseed. It is enough to the point where I feel the team is actually made worse then what it could be such as being really easy to wear down via status. I also am not a big fan of Choice Scarf Lanturn here as I feel it actually makes you weaker to things like Oricorio while you can easily fit on another form of speed control, but all things said still a very solid job, here. I am assuming just with these statements you can already guess most of my suggestions so lets get right to it.

Set Changes:

:rotom-frost:
:sm/rotom-frost:
Rotom-Frost @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Toxic ---> Hidden Power [Fighting]

The investment in HP seems really minuscule, but it actually is super important as this is just the right amount it needs to always survive a +2 Sub Zero Slammer from Alolan Sandslash before Stealth Rock damage. Investing enough to survive after Stealth Rock is just way to heavy unfortunatly to even be worth considering but 8 EV investment to better check a Pokemon this critical is absolutely worth it. On that not I feel checking Alolan Sandslash is a super important niche your Rotom-Frost preforms on this team and should be focusing on that. Toxic can be cool to hit lanturn with, but your team handles that already pretty decently between Torterra and Lycanroc and with Musharna you should always be able to comfortably be able to switch in on it. When opting for Toxic your best way to hit Alolan Sandslash is with Volt Switch which does not OHKO. This is really bad as this means you actually have to sack something to it and it leaves your Rotom-Frost much weaker so this can actually make Rotom-Frost not only unable to check Alolan Sandslash but can leave it in a better position. Hidden Power Fighting remedies this by giving Rotom-Frost a way to easily OHKO Alolan Sandslash

:musharna:
:sm/musharna:
Musharna @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 164 Def / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire] ---> Heal Bell
- Moonlight

While I do feel hitting Ferroseed is nice having the ability to combat status, especially Toxic poisoning, is very valuable on a team like this as it is switching in on walls constantly to achieve chip damage so it makes it very difficult to keep most of your team from being inflicted by status. You already have a solid cleric on your team in Musharna so I really think having Heal Bell on it is more benifital then hitting Ferroseed or giving victreebel an easy switch in. I would say this team can still do well with out a cleric, but like I said scene you already have one you may as well utilize it. IF you were still very weak to Victrebel or had no other way of breaking Ferroseed I may agree with keeping Hidden Power Fire but your win condition has a way of breaking past Ferrsoseed already and Torterra always switches into Ferroseed and not only that Torterra brings in things Rotom-Frost can Defog. With all that in consideration I would highly suggest this change.

:lanturn:
:sm/lanturn:
Lanturn @ Choice Scarf ---> Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 172 SpA / 136 SpD / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hydro Pump ---> Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I like Lanturn on your team as it still does check Fire-types, Water-types and Ice-types, but I feel with this set in combination with Lycanroc you actually handle Oricorio better as well as being able to switch in more often. I think it is a pretty mediocre Choice Scarf user as well so this frees up that spot as well. Not much to really say about this one to be honest.

Pokemon Changes:

:silvally:(Fairy) ---> :Dodrio:
:sm/dodrio:
Dodrio @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Early Bird
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Jump Kick
- Pursuit

This is much better speed control for your team that has similar qualities to Silvally-Fairy. Still acts as offensive Fighting-type check as well as being able to act as a solid win condition in its own right along side Lycanroc. This leaves you a bit weaker to Carracosta but gives you a secondary check to Alolan Sandslash and offense in general.

Team Changes <--- Click for importable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)