Project Top 10 Titans of Generation 8 OM Metagames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't understand why everyone votes corsola while hattrem is more and more played (magmar)
Can't tell if this is bait or not but i'll bite. (I have been informed that your opinion was formulated on the metagames you did play so no worries, here to share my opinion :D)

I assume you weren't playing during the early days of NFE but Gorsola was completely dominant during dynamax meta and post dynamax meta when there was limited Toxic and Knock Off distribution and we actually considered potentially banning it at one point (and probably would have but HOME came sooner than expected). These definitely meant it took a hit but it remained an incredibly good defensive Pokemon; arguably the best mixed wall we've had consistently throughout the generation. It has remained relevant during this whole time and is the pinnacle of a defensive Pokemon which offers great utility.

Now when you compare this to Hattrem and Magmar, you may be correct that Hattrem is used more often now, but Hattrem has certainly had its ups and downs; despite being around as long as Gorsola, it had a much rougher start and has had to contend with multiple other Psychic-types which made it much harder to use during their dominance. No one doubts its impact as a Magic Bounce user; it completely changed the way we look at the "hazards metagame" and with my bias as one of the biggest Hattrem enthusiast I believe it can definitely make the lower end of the top 10 but lots of Pokemon are in a similar situation.

Magmar is honestly nothing special compared to other breakers; it wasn't around for the first year since it only arrived in DLC 2. It was strong initially but only really became more overwhelming when a bunch of more broken offensive threats such as Kadabra and Pikachu were banned before it. I don't see this mon making top 10 given how contended these spots will be with so many breakers either being at a high level in the tier for much longer than Magmar (such as Raboot) or breakers that were so strong they were banned twice (ie. Pikachu, Pawniard, Mime Galar).

Gorsola may not have had the highs of Magmar but it was damn close at one point and its peak was certainly greater than Hattrem's. Most importantly its tenure at the top has been way longer than both of these Pokemon and it's not an understatement to say the metagame would look vastly different without this one defensive Pokemon keeping many of our offensive threats in check.

in the hills

spreading confusion
is a Top Artistis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Corsola-Galar wins the #5 spot! Halfway done, who will win #6?
Duosion
Electabuzz
Gurdurr
Hattrem
Ivysaur
Kadabra
Klang
Magmar
Mr. Mime-Galar
Pawniard
Pikachu
Raboot
Roselia
Rufflet
Tangela
Thwackey
Vullaby
Wartortle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)