Rejected Tool for adding comments in replays for post-game analysis

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
Well, on the Randbats room we were recalling that a few years ago we had a "Replay of the week" which basically consisted in a replay available on the room intro each week, with the objective of sparkling conversation when the chat is dead or when it sidetracks too much. Although that alone would be not that useful and not incredibily interesting for the regs, I believe that a way of making replay sharing a handier and more fruitful experience for everyone would be being able to previously add comments on the different turns of the replay.

Basically what I´m thinking of is the possibility of taking a replay link and having a tool/plugin for writing comments at the end of each turn. Once all comments are written, you save it and get a new link. That way you can share your analysis of the match without tampering the original replay.

Although this is something that can be made with a sidelink from pastebin or docs (or even a forum post), I believe that having everything on the same window (even if its not on the proper "battle chat" but at its side, with the turns clearly delimited) is really handy and interactive for the readers.
The possible uses I can see for this are:
  • Experts post-game analysis
  • Resources for competitive formats rooms (like the aforementioned Replay of the Week)
  • RMT samples with a new layer
  • A tool for tutoring
  • Specific mechanics examples
Clearly I´m not knowledgeable of how replays are generated nor stored, so maybe there is no way of making this without risking multiplying the size of replays we already have? Still I think it can be a really useful tool and I hope it can be implemented at some level. Thanks for your time and always amazing work! n.n

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
If you want some alternative ways of doing this, a common way of doing post-game analysis is to export the log and add comments that way. I've done this in Google Docs in fighting games and for PS stuff. Google Docs is great since you can open it up to comments from anyone, so you can collaborate on analysis with a coach or friends. Hope this helps a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)