Pokémon Tinkaton

Nickos

Quack
is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor

Base Stats: 85 / 75 / 77 / 70 / 105 / 94 BST: 506
Abilities:
Mold Breaker, Own Tempo, Pickpocket (HA)
Notable moves: Brick Break, Brutal Swing, Bulldoze, Encore, Endure, Fake Out, Fling, Foul Play, Gigaton Hammer, Heavy Slam, Ice Hammer, Knock Off, Light Screen, Play Rough, Pounce, Protect, Reflect, Rest, Rock Slide, Skill Swap, Skitter Smack, Sleep Talk, Stealth Rock, Stone Edge, Substitute, Swords Dance, Tera Blast, Thunder Wave

Gigaton Hammer

Base Power: 160
Accuracy: 100%
PPs: 8
Desc: Cannot be used twice in a row.

Pros:
+Stellar Defensive typing, capable of switching into numerous threats in virtue of its sheer number of resistances and immunities
+Decent bulk, the Special side in particular, which in combination with Assault Vest can provide some impressive calcs.
+Gigaton Hammer is a very powerful move in general, hitting harder than many other stronger Steel-type Pokémon with their regular STABs, mainly those relying on Iron Head.
+Support movepool is pretty usable, with options such as dual screens, Knock Off to remove items, the possibility of setting up Stealth Rocks, status in Thunder Wave, Encore to disrupt bulky walls and Swords Dance to try and boost its damage output.

Cons:
-Stats are not very great in general, the Attack stat in particular is incredibly dissapointing, making its damage output very underwhelming outside of Gigaton Hammer, move which also has a negative effect that prevents Choiced sets from being good options.
-Its bulk is only decent at best, needing plenty of investment to make it able to comfortably take the hits it needs to.
-While the Speed is certainly decent, it falls just short and leaves it vulnerable to multiple faster offensive Pokémon
-It is, ironically, pretty much unable to threaten Steel-types in any way that isn't via Status or hindering them with Knock Off, they can comfortably switch into its dual STABs.
-Its abilities are not bad but they're certainly not enough to significantly boost its viability

Terastal potential:
If Tinkaton is to be used offensively, or at least, oriented towards dealing damage, it may be a good idea to run either a Fire- or Ground Terastal type in order to hit Pokémon that can switch into both Fairy- and Steel-type moves, such as other Steel-types, Toxapex or Fire-types in general. Ground may be better overall thanks to it hitting many more targets and also providing it a solid defensive typing to work with, though you mainly miss on hitting both Corviknight and Scizor hard.

Fairy Terastal is also a solid option, while losing the resistances provided by the Steel-type may hurt, there are certain matchups in which it may be beneficial to get rid of it, which in turns removes its weaknesses to Fire and Ground, which may allow it to better check what it's supposed to, as many Pokémon usually carry that kind of coverage. The additional damage boost to your much weaker Fairy STAB may also come in handy too in setup sets. Steel-type Tera is also an option for further boosting your Gigaton Hammer's damage, but I find the Fairy one to be more worthwhile. I guess it will really depend on the matchup.

Potential sets:

Tinkaton (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Fairy/Ground/Fire/Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gigaton Hammer
- Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Ice Hammer/Tera Blast

This is my first idea of an AV set for Tinkaton, 64 Spe allows you to outrun 252 Spe Adamant Breloom. With AV equipped, it is capable of tanking 2 +1 Shadow Balls from Flutter Mane, one of the broken threats roaming the tier right now, who you also easily OHKO with Gigaton Hammer if it decides to stay for some reason.

Tinkaton (F) @ Metal Coat / Life Orb
Tera Type: Fairy/Ground/Fire/Steel
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gigaton Hammer
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Tera Blast

A very simple setup set, 224 Speed plus Jolly Nature ensures you outspeed max Speed base 90 Pokémon. Gigaton Hammer's damage output is actually pretty impressive after a single boost of Swords Dance, for example, it comes close to OHKOing 252 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk with 1 layer of Spikes up, a Pokémon with 115 HP and 131 Defense, which makes it fairly bulky from the physical side.

+2 252 Atk Metal Coat Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 343-405 (79 - 93.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes
It has a 6.3% chance of OHKOing it with no prior damage if running Life Orb instead of Metal Coat.

Of course, the damage output of every move not named Gigaton is subpar in general, and you'll need to setup as soon as possible to even attempt to damage Pokémon that aren't vulnerable to your Steel STAB.

Overall thoughts

Pretty cool Pokémon, but unfortunately, I can't see it being relevant in OU, its stats leave a lot to be desired, but it does have some tools to at least function to some extent, here's hoping it becomes a lower tier staple at least.

A variant of the first set that I have been liking is with Lefties and Gigaton / KO / TWave with a flex move in the last slot.

With offensive threats that win the game in a single turn in the metagame right now like Flutter Mane, sometimes the game is just automatically won if you landed a paralysis on their check, which is actually especially easy to bait because people just really like to set up on you the turn after you use Gigaton.

Just like meta without Lando-T, the viable pool of TWave absorbers is not necessarily the widest, which makes TWave spamming one of the freeest thing you can do. (Paradox Donphans do feel like they are on every team though, but usually the first Thunder Wave is free because it is unexpected)

Knock Off, Thunder Wave, Gigaton Hammer and Rest/Sub/SD/Stealth Rock is something I would try on this. Purely offensive set won't work in OU, but Thunder Wave and Knock Off are great moves it can use combined with the best typing of the game. Pickpocket could also be a good ability with a consumable item (Lum, Chesto, Sitrus or Shuca Berry for example). Own Tempo will be useful once Lando comes back, while the only use I see for Mold Breaker is to hit Nite harder... or to paralyze Gholdengo now that I think about it. This one is huge, though.

Mold Breaker also has the very niche use of being able to set up Stealth Rock on/T-Wave Magic Bounce Users.

Protect is also a potential move on any set. If you are only hitting every second turn anyway, you can make your opponent do the same. You obvisiouly have to anticipitate them setting up though. I have been running a full Sp. Def. set and it has a surprising amount of usage.

I just love this Pokemon's design. A badass blacksmith troll loli with a giant hammer? Yes please! Here's hoping it finds more usage as the metagame develops. Still, those stats just don't look right to me. Just looking at it makes you think it's physical attack should at least be in triple digits with that huge hammer.

this is probably my new favourite mon design wise so it goddam better be viable >:(((

maybe access to foul play can compensate for low attack outside of gigaton hammer????

thunder wave also really seems great on literally anything rn sooooooooo thats cool

One set I think could be interesting to explore is a Support oriented set that runs Gigaton Hammer simply as a nuke in the back. Rocks, Foul Play, T-Wave to spread Paralysis, etc. can be decent contributions with Mold Breaker, while Gigaton Hammer limits anti-Utility Switch-ins from taking totally free turns. Maybe just an "Other Options" idea but if only one move does threatening damage anyway, might as well play around what few openings that threat can allow.

Does mold breaker break unaware ? that would make the sword dance set one of the best wallbreakers
Mold Breaker would ignore Unaware, but the issue there is I don't think Tinkaton can hit most of OU's Unaware users particularly hard. Skeledirge and Dondozo resist its main Attacking move (and Skeledirge resists most of its listed attacking options in general), so the +2 barely compensates the resisted hit given Tinkaton's very low base stats. Clodsire it fares a bit better outside Tera Types, but Tink's also not very fast so the opponent doesn't strictly need Unaware to stop a sweep from it.

this is probably my new favourite mon design wise so it goddam better be viable >:(((

maybe access to foul play can compensate for low attack outside of gigaton hammer????

thunder wave also really seems great on literally anything rn sooooooooo thats cool
It's very obviously designed for doubles (like most of this generation). If you're a big fan, try using it there.

I don't see the point of running an offensive set with Tinkaton. You have much better setup sweepers and breakers everywhere, and you have a typing and a moveset tailored for support anyway. AV Tink is a meme btw.

Tinkaton (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpD / 200 Spe
Careful Nature
- Gigaton Hammer
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock/Thunder Wave/Encore
- Stealth Rock/Thunder Wave/Encore

idk how many Spd EVs is best to have, I put 200 here to outspeed neutral 252 Baxcalibur but I don't even know if Baxcalibur runs this spread, see what works best for you. Regardless, Mold Breaker + SR is as good as it sounds, T-wave is very strong right now and Encore is Encore. Too bad she suffers from 4MSS.

Last edited:
I have been using the following set and having a blast! Tinkaton may not have offensive focused stats, but her movepool, type and stats all combo together into the perfect type of all-rounded support wall:
Tinkaton @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 196 SpD
Careful Nature
- Gigaton Hammer
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
Gigaton Hammer is self explanatory, Stealth Rock is the reason I began using her, Knock Off and Thunder Wave ensure whatever switches in gets crippled.
EVs are for her to pull off special wall duty, which she does Amazingly. She's super consistent at the job and the Fairy/Steel matchup even allows her to check Chien-Pao, possibly being *close* to a full counter if you went with Phys Defense instead. The atk EVs are because she was missing the OHKO on Glimmora, but I haven't done any calcs, so idk if that's enough, but it helps her knock off break subs and reduce passivity, so all good!
Steel is just there to maybe give extra oomph to Gigaton, but imma be real, I never bothered using it, so, yeah. Can also be good to tank opposing steel attacks?

I fell in love with the mon since I saw her, so I'm real glad I'm having a good time using her. I think it's best to put her in the "support fairy with tricks" niche that yeah, may just be a worse clefable, but is working great rn

I have been using the following set and having a blast! Tinkaton may not have offensive focused stats, but her movepool, type and stats all combo together into the perfect type of all-rounded support wall:
Tinkaton @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Gigaton Hammer
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
Gigaton Hammer is self explanatory, Stealth Rock is the reason I began using her, Knock Off and Thunder Wave ensure whatever switches in gets crippled.
EVs are for her to pull off special wall duty, which she does Amazingly. She's super consistent at the job and the Fairy/Steel matchup even allows her to check Chien-Pao, possibly being *close* to a full counter if you went with Phys Defense instead. The atk EVs are because she was missing the OHKO on Glimmora, but I haven't done any calcs, so idk if that's enough, but it helps her knock off break subs and reduce passivity, so all good!
Steel is just there to maybe give extra oomph to Gigaton, but imma be real, I never bothered using it, so, yeah. Can also be good to tank opposing steel attacks?

I fell in love with the mon since I saw her, so I'm real glad I'm having a good time using her. I think it's best to put her in the "support fairy with tricks" niche that yeah, may just be a worse clefable, but is working great rn
That set is exactly what I run, and I love how it's basically a Swiss Army Knife of a Pokemon! I've been Tinkering (ha) with the EVs as well, and here's what I've come up with for right now: 240 HP / 28 Atk / 176 SpD / 64 Spe. The Attack is exactly what you need to OHKO uninvested / 4 HP Glimmora. The SpD hits a bonus point, and the Speed outruns max Speed Adamant Breloom and the like. The rest is dumped in HP, which hits 371. Not an important number for leftovers or anything. I need to check if there are any important things it can outrun if paralyzed though, which could warrant more Speed. One thing to note is that because of Swords of Ruin - at least if I ran the reduction right since it's not programmed in the calculator yet - this thing can't OHKO full health Chien-Pao without high Atk investment. Just something to keep in mind.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm a goofball, the snow leopard is not safe.

Last edited:
That set is exactly what I run, and I love how it's basically a Swiss Army Knife of a Pokemon! I've been Tinkering (ha) with the EVs as well, and here's what I've come up with for right now: 240 HP / 28 Atk / 176 SpD / 64 Spe. The Attack is exactly what you need to OHKO uninvested / 4 HP Glimmora. The SpD hits a bonus point, and the Speed outruns max Speed Adamant Breloom and the like. The rest is dumped in HP, which hits 371. Not an important number for leftovers or anything. I need to check if there are any important things it can outrun if paralyzed though, which could warrant more Speed. One thing to note is that because of Swords of Ruin - at least if I ran the reduction right since it's not programmed in the calculator yet - this thing can't OHKO full health Chien-Pao without high Atk investment. Just something to keep in mind.
Why would sword of ruin affect tinkaton's damage?

It doesn't decrease atk, it's the defense

Try Electric Tera on SD to blow past Skarmory/Corviknight with one moveslot (I know there's an Aim video, but I think this is legit Tinkaton's only OU-viable set).

I think this mon's disappointing due to its middling stats, but SD+Mold Breaker absolutely clowns on Stall with Electric Tera Blast. This thing and Chi-Yu absolutely mix Stall.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm a goofball, the snow leopard is not safe.
Does it survive Glim's 252 SpA earth power with that bulk?

Does it survive Glim's 252 SpA earth power with that bulk?
You can do your own calcs on showdown, yknow.

But here it is, eats it up like a champ.

252 SpA Glimmora Earth Power vs. 240 HP / 176 SpD Assault Vest Tinkaton: 108-128 (29.1 - 34.5%) -- 4.1% chance to 3HKO

And without vest:

252 SpA Glimmora Earth Power vs. 240 HP / 176 SpD Tinkaton: 160-190 (43.1 - 51.2%) -- 5.9% chance to 2HKO

I’m surprised no one has mentioned protect yet. It’s kind of hard to fit into a set but being able to alternate between gigaton and protect and get free leftovers recovery is pretty strong.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned protect yet. It’s kind of hard to fit into a set but being able to alternate between gigaton and protect and get free leftovers recovery is pretty strong.
I tried this early on but the main draw back is that once you use Protect once, the opponent now knows they get set up moves on you. This thing has severe 4 move slot syndrome. Furthermore, while Gigaton Hammer hits hard, it's offensive stat to utlize it is lacking for a protect set to be majorly viable. In most instances I would much rather run SD, Thunder wave, reflect, or even Light screen because it provides greater utlity and can be used if the opponent is reading a hammer bonk.

honestly, I think this thing has only one viable set in OU:

Tinkaton @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Gigaton Hammer
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off / Foul Play

(EVs are unoptimized)

Mold Breaker makes Gholdengo its bitch. Can set rocks on it, can paralyze it or just straight-up knock off its scarf. GH hits hard enough to not be passive, and all other three slots are just very good utility overall, which helps it remain relevant regardless of the team preview matchup. Knock is the best choice for the last slot, but Foul Play is decent to threaten physically-attacking switchins. Play Rough is an option to bop Fighting-type phys attackers, too, probably.

Being a special wall that can't switch in on Chi-Yu stings, though...

I tried this early on but the main draw back is that once you use Protect once, the opponent now knows they get set up moves on you. This thing has severe 4 move slot syndrome. Furthermore, while Gigaton Hammer hits hard, it's offensive stat to utlize it is lacking for a protect set to be majorly viable. In most instances I would much rather run SD, Thunder wave, reflect, or even Light screen because it provides greater utlity and can be used if the opponent is reading a hammer bonk.
There is also the option to run all of that. Gigaton Hammer one turn, then keep your opponent guessing what the next move will be. A Protect stall? Thunder Wave? Knock Off? Or something else entirely? The hammer may be predictable, but everything else is not. You could even RNG the move independent of strategy just to f*** with your opponent and hope luck favors you. XD

honestly, I think this thing has only one viable set in OU:

Tinkaton @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Gigaton Hammer
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off / Foul Play

(EVs are unoptimized)

Mold Breaker makes Gholdengo its bitch. Can set rocks on it, can paralyze it or just straight-up knock off its scarf. GH hits hard enough to not be passive, and all other three slots are just very good utility overall, which helps it remain relevant regardless of the team preview matchup. Knock is the best choice for the last slot, but Foul Play is decent to threaten physically-attacking switchins. Play Rough is an option to bop Fighting-type phys attackers, too, probably.

Being a special wall that can't switch in on Chi-Yu stings, though...
Wholly agreed, and I think the ev set that PShine posted above is a more optimal spread.

Tinkaton @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Gigaton Hammer
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave

Or Seth Vilo's 240 HP / 28 Atk / 176 SpD / 64 Spe,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)