Walrus Tiebreaker Walrus [COMPLETE]

Round Nine: Party On, Wayne

The header is Crash The Party by OK Go.

16th Place
Submitted by Naysmith/Aura Guardian
Score: 8.4

Never Split the Party by Emerald Rose

Quite humorous… almost makes me wish I still had enough free time to join a campaign.
15th Place
Submitted by Lebossle
Score: 8.52

anthems by Charlie XCX

I can’t tell if I’m supposed to relate to this or not. Despite that, it’s growing on me and I believe I’m gonna have this stuck in my head later.
14th Place
Submitted by Bloobird
Score: 8.53

Multitude of Casualties by The Hold Steady

This singer sounds like he’s written a primal scream into at least one of his songs. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, I’m just picking up a hint of a vibe here. This song reminds me of some of the music I got into in high school.
13th Place
Submitted by Moose
Score: 8.55

Gourmet Mansion by Boolus

I have no idea what to say about this song, so I’m just going to use this space to air out my biggest nitpick about the Kirby franchise.

I just can’t get into Kirby and the Forgotten Land. You know why? Cuz Kirby: Triple Deluxe RUINED Mouthful Mode for me. Hypernova had him sucking down entire levels and fucking laser guided missles like lemon drops and now he can’t get his ravenous vaccuum of a mouth around anything bigger than him? What the hell is this downgrade? Kirby is an eldritch god, The Mouth That Devours All. The Forgotten Land devs are doing him a TERRIBLE disservice with this change to the lore. Kumazaki and Kamiyama have doomed us all. Kirby is coming for us, he is eternally hungry, and now we’ve given him a reason to be pissed at us. Angering him is a canonically bad idea that NEVER ends well.
12th Place
Submitted by Sultan
Score: 8.62

Rock and Roll All Nite by Kiss

I’m sorry, DJ Cummerbund’s Rock and Roll Until A Reasonable Hour has spoiled this song for me. It’s a good song, but I can't listen to it without thinking about that slow jam mashup.
11th Place
Submitted by Mistyx
Score: 8.64

Alien Blues by Vundabar

This is the kind of song that goes through my head when I’m dissociating in Wal-Mart.
10th Place
Submitted by Bloody
Score: 8.68

We Like To Party! (The Vengabus) [Fvrwvrd Bootleg] by Vengaboys & Fvrwvrd

BrainpanSonata: i think i manifested this by getting it stuck in my head last week

This percussion sure is… something. Sounds like someone brought industrial power tools to the party. I like this more than I expected, and probably more than anyone else here thinks I should.
9th Place
Submitted by marmot
Score: 8.73

Funny Thing by Thundercat

You’re really gonna give me less than two minutes of Thundercat? Seriously? Criminal disservice. Had to check the discography to make sure I wasn’t getting shortchanged. Shit, I want a daycore version of this now.
8th Place
Submitted by MNIN
Score: 8.74

no fun/party by Kara Jackson

I’m vibing with this harder than I thought I would. Though I think it would have scored a bit higher if it had kept the original backing all the way through.
7th Place
Submitted by Salt
Score: 8.75

1999 by Prince

Sure, let’s go crazy.
6th Place
Submitted by termi
Score: 8.78

Party All The Time by Danny Brown

This feels like the polar opposite to the Eddie Murphy song in the examples. Same subject, way different mood.
5th Place
Submitted by Quas
Score: 8.8

DON'T SHOOT UP THE PARTY by BROCKHAMPTON

Tbh this is my first time listening to Brockhampton. Well, I think I like it.
4th Place
Submitted by remember
Score: 8.9

Wanna Party by Future Brown ft. Tink

Digging that bell sample. This has me grooving in my chair.
3rd Place
Submitted by nutella
Score: 9.04

The Party's Crashing Us by of Montreal

Has of Montreal really become one of my “Push Here for Free Pander” buttons? Or is it just that the MUers still think I need to be converted? nutella over here tryna be the new Earl.
2nd Place
Submitted by Karma
Score: 9.07

DEVIL by Shinedown

Mmm, this style is scratching an itch. Yeah, this is a “hot damn” kinda song.
1st Place
Submitted by Laurel
Score: 9.2

when the party’s over by Billie Eilish

What an ethereal sound. This song is art. That’s the simplest way I can put it.

The outro is Can’t Lose by We Are Scientists.

The party’s over!

KarmaDope, nutella, and Mistyx are the life of the party. Just two rounds left to go!

The penultimate round is To The Core. We’ll get to the crux of the matter… eventually. Next week, I’ll have a new job or I’ll have to double down on my job search. Either way, I’ll have less time for walrus and that means we’re TBD!

Round Ten: To The Core

The header is Fallen Leaves by Billy Talent.

16th Place
Catfail - Failure to sub
Salt
Score: 0

Absenteecore is not a genre.
15th Place
Submitted by Bloobird
Score: 8.0

Toytown (Vinylgroover Vocal Mix) by Hixxy & Sharkey

Qualifying genre: happy hardcore/hardcore techno

Damn, look at me doing Bloobird dirty again. Everything from 2:30 to 4:20 is great, but the rest of it just isn't landing with me. I can’t score it any higher than this when I only like two fifths of it.
14th Place
Submitted by Laurel
Score: 8.3

sTraNgeRs by Bring Me The Horizon

Qualifying genre: metalcore

Good lord, someone needs to teach these poor emo-punk boys how to do vocal warmups. The verses are making me worry that recording this album gave him laryngitis.
13th Place
Submitted by Bloody
Score: 8.4

I Will Pick You Up by S3RL ft. Tamika

Qualifying genre: UK hardcore/happy hardcore/Frenchcore/hardcore techno

Tbh, Soft Wubs with Female Vocals is its own kind of techno subgenre. I appreciate that this is not quite that.
12th Place
Submitted by Mistyx
Score: 8.53

Rainbow Road by Nanobii

Qualifying genre: happy hardcore

Yeah, I suppose I could vibe with this.
11th Place
Submitted by Sultan
Score: 8.55

White and Nerdy by “Weird Al” Yankovic

Qualifying genre: nerdcore (accepted on technicality)

Man, I own, like, at least four Weird Al albums. This isn’t even my first time judging this one.
10th Place
Submitted by Moose
Score: 8.62

If The Rock Was A Breakcore Fan by Fiddlesticks_

Qualifying genre: breakcore

Oh no, Moose has found my dirty secret… I’m a sucker for transformative editing in mashups.

9th Place
Submitted by Lebossle
Score: 8.65

Glass Ocean by Machine Girl

Qualifying genre: digital hardcore/breakcore

Oh, Neon White. I certainly wouldn’t mind getting in the zone and gaming to this, though I’m a little worried about zoning out mid song.
8th Place
Submitted by termi
Score: 8.66

Deathsucker Rave by Bong-Ra

Qualifying genre: breakcore

Nice bit of layering to it. This seems like one of those songs that knows how to consistently change it up just enough to not overstay its welcome.
7th Place
Submitted by remember
Score: 8.75

You And I In Unison by La Dispute

Qualifying genre: post-hardcore

I can’t help but meme on this nicely rhythmic shouting, because I have finally found a song that perfectly matches the meme below.

6th Place
Submitted by nutella

Mouth of Ghosts by The Dillinger Escape Plan

Qualifying genre: mathcore/metalcore

The intro gives me mild Your Algebra vibes. (And a touch of Mandela effect, since my brain keeps insisting despite corrections that The Shins’ song is spelled Yer Algebra. But I digress.) The crescendo at the end has a bit of a wallop to it.
5th Place
Submitted by MNIN

EMBRYOGLYPH by metaroom

Qualifying genre: hardcore breaks

This is quite an auditory fascinator. Kinda like if Clarence Clarity cared about not giving you a headache. I wonder how many times I could hit repeat on this before it got to be a bit too much.
4th Place
Submitted by marmot
Score: 8.9

I'm Made of Wax, Larry, What Are You Made Of? by A Day To Remember

Qualifying genre: metalcore/post-hardcore

Dammit, man, puke in the vid, that’s a yellow card! You’re lucky I don’t factor the video into judging. At least it’s a great song by a band I keep telling myself I should listen to more often.
3rd Place
Submitted by Quas
Score: 9.0

K-9 by Show Me the Body

Qualifying genre: hardcore punk

Before the escalation, it felt like incredibly specific mood music. Now, having heard it several times repeatedly, it’s still mood music… for a situation I hope I never have to be in. So fucking punk.
2nd Place

Redemption by Shadows Fall

The intricate guitars hooked me in immediately. The lead singer’s tone sounds kind of familiar (post edit: tbh, he sounds like Hetfield), though Wikipedia says I don’t know anything else he was in. Oh damn, that solo. Note to self: go find more songs by them.
1st Place
Submitted by Karma
Score: 9.4

Implements of Destruction by Chimaira

At first I wondered if I could last through thirteen and a half minutes of something that was making me question if it was really metalcore, but that first change up was a nice surprise. And then the change ups kept on coming. The technical skill level here is a true delight and the sonic soundscape of the final change up makes for a splendid finish. Once again, you’re spoiling me, Karma.

The outro is Do It Now Remember It Later by Sleeping With Sirens.

I felt that to my core!

KarmaDope, nutella, and Mistyx are hardcore competitors.

Our last round is Wait For It… and yeah, you guessed it. Of course we’re waiting for the wait. Cuz Champs season isn’t gonna wait for me! We’re TBD for the last time.

Round Eleven: Wait For It...

The header is Istanbul (Not Constantinople) by They Might Be Giants.

16th Place
Submitted by Moose
Score: 4.6

Blue Parade by William Maranci

There’s not enough MCR in it, the pitch shifts are sloppy, and the ending is a muddled mess. So to sum up:

15th Place
Submitted by termi
Score: 7.6

Jenny Ondioline by Stereolab

T R A D I T I O N A L T E R M I L O N G S U B

These vocals are that just so level of softness where I can almost but not quite make them out and wouldn’t be able to quote them for the life of me. God, there better be some prog in this. I’m five minutes in and hoping the rest isn’t more of the same. Did I just get my wish? Mm, a nice bit of harmony in the middle. Okay, this song isn’t as bad as I was beginning to expect. Still can’t quite make out the lyrics, tho. Oh, that’s a drastic and unpleasant change there. I, uh- you’re not making it easy for me to score this.
14th Place
Submitted by Lebossle
Score: 8.5

Revolutions by Jean-Michel Jarre

This has been in Leb’s back pocket for so long that his original link for it was an album with a timestamp. Yes, the robovoice counts for qualifiers.
13th Place
Submitted by MNIN
Score: 8.64

This World Couldn’t See Us by Nabihah Iqbal

This song is such an 80s mood. The backing’s a bit repetitive, but it does just enough to keep me interested.
12th Place
Submitted by Bloody
Score: 8.67

Nemurini by macaroom

Tbh, if I wanted to listen to a weirdly vibed long song that starts with rain sounds, I’d listen to Infected Mushroom’s The Messenger 2012 and then I’d probably listen to this afterwards. Intro was kinda dull, but it picked up quite nicely once the melody kicked in.
11th Place
Score: 8.71

Mother Earth by Miracle of Sound

Dipping into the core of your wheelhouse, I see. While this certainly doesn’t disappoint, I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t been expecting a melodic guitar solo somewhere in there.
10th Place
Submitted by nutella
Score: 8.74

Say Yes to Life by Gang of Youths

If I had a nickel for every band I’ve listened to that screamed positive mantras at me, I’d have… well, sure, let’s say two nickels. Not exactly We Came As Romans, but this is close enough to count. The intro is nice and trippy without being grating.
9th Place
Submitted by Mistyx

Cold Cold Man by Saint Motel

Andy Snype says hello. The Smogonites know what I’m talking about.
8th Place
Submitted by marmot

.3 by Porcupine Tree

Nice bassline. I am never not going to see that title as a one-eyed cat. The internet has ruined me. There were supposed to be lyrics in here somewhere, right? Had me worried for a second.
7th Place
Submitted by Quas
Score: 8.93

... And the Cat Turned to Smoke by Orchid

From my experience, this languorous intro indicates a song’s gonna kick into double time sooner or later. (Ignore how from my pov I was proven right halfway through writing the previous sentence.) Nice leadup to the vocals and these screams aren’t half bad. I quite enjoy the guitars here. Maybe I’m a little spoiled in thinking a bit of audio legibility or a counterpoint bass growl would elevate an already great song.
6th Place
Submitted by Salt
Score: 8.95

Heat Above by Greta Van Fleet

“We have Led Zeppelin at home”, but in that way where you’re comparing Pepperidge Farm cookies to someone’s homemade snickerdoodles that won 1st prize in a baking competition. I swear that analogy makes sense in my head. Anyway, the point I’m trying to make is even if you’re constantly comparing those two bands for sounding alike, Greta Van Fleet still stands on their own merit.
5th Place
Submitted by Sultan
Score: 9.0

The Pinnacle by Kansas

Metaphorically ironically literally hitting me where I live (which is Kansas). Buckle up, buttercups, we’re going for a ride.
4th Place
Submitted by Laurel
Score: 9.14

Hotel California by The Eagles

Another one of those “how is this not on the Use List” songs. Hell, I might have even judged this one before. You know me, I’m a sucker for horror elements in pretty much anything. Not to mention a sucker for a well done guitar solo. Never not an awesome song.
3rd Place
Submitted by Karma
Score: 9.17

Shogun by Trivium

Congratulations, Karma, you are the only tie in the Tiebreaker Walrus. You tied with Earl’s PS2020 lineup for Most Podiums In A Single Walrus.
2nd Place
Submitted by Bloobird

Atlanta’s Own by The Taxpayers

Not very often I get to hear a good saxophone without making it a category requirement. Oh, okay, it's chaos time now. I have the weirdest feeling that Streetlight Manifesto and Circus Contraption had a bastard child that I’ve only just found out about. And thus the repeatedly robbed Bloobird finally has his day in the sun.
1st Place
Submitted by remember
Score: 9.3

Chest Fever by Widespread Panic

The music of… The Band? Is this a cover song? Oh, well, with how hard it just hit me, maybe I don’t care so much about that. I’m digging the lead singer’s voice and these instruments are hella tight. This is some damn sweet bluesy rock and roll. I wanna hear the rest of their discography.

The outro is For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica.

Totally worth the wait!

But I’m sure you don’t want to wait any longer. The winner of the Tiebreaker Walrus is…

KARMADOPE!!!!!!!

And congratulations to nutella and remember for winning 2nd and 3rd, respectively!

One more thing before we go. I still need to polish up a few details before I start my next walrus, but I’d like to drop a teaser for you anyway.

A brand new and completely novel mechanic.
Actual stakes with actual prizes (of minimal significance, but hey! Prizes!)
And a question that’s going to be on everyone’s mind…

Who-who-who-who-who WHO IS THAT?

Coming… September or October probably, idk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)