Theorymon Discussion and Viability Ranking

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
252+ SpA Life Orb Empoleon Hydro Cannon vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn in rain: 173-204 (49.14 - 57.95%) -- 58.98% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Empoleon Hydro Cannon vs. 180 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in sand: 416-494 (107.77 - 127.97%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Empoleon Hydro Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 304-359 (75.24 - 88.86%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Empoleon Hydro Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ninetales in sun: 312-369 (89.14 - 105.42%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Empoleon Hydro Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ninetales in sun: 221-265 (63.14 - 75.71%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Empoleon Hydro Cannon vs. 252 HP / 236+ SpD Jirachi in rain: 343-406 (84.9 - 100.49%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Empoleon Hydro Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Latias in rain: 187-222 (61.92 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Empoleon Hydro Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Salamence in rain: 315-370 (95.16 - 111.78%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Empoleon Hydro Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo in rain: 255-300 (78.94 - 92.87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Empoleon Hydro Cannon vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Breloom in rain: 355-419 (110.93 - 130.93%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Keep in mind this is coming in along side Ice Beam and either Grass Knot or Surf-- Agility sets up.

I think you guys are going about it the wrong way. It's not how much damage Hydro Cannon can do, because having that turn of "I can't do anything" is absolutely awful. Look at what KOs the recharge moves get that the 120 (now 110) moves DON'T. What does Hydro Cannon KO that Hydro Pump doesn't? That's the distinction that needs to be made.

What if Gengar received a 95 BP Ghost move?
It gets better, what else?
I sorta called it but....
What if Mew got protean?
I know this ability is mostly for stealthy pokemons but this ability was MADE for mew. The lack of speed and priority hurts but still..
Mew w/lifeorb
Timid
Tbolt/shadowball
Ibeam/dazzling gleam
Aura sphere/flamethrower
Nasty plot/rock polish
So much awesomeness....
Ghost+fairy is just as amazing as electric+ice

I was theorizing the viability of a physical sweeper, protean Greninja.
More specifically, I was thinking about the combination of Fling and Acrobatics, which he can learn. Is that a viable combination(maybe in conjunction with something like U-Turn and a coverage/protection move)
I figured STAB Fling/Item-less Acrobatics, he could be pretty devastating.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
That's a waste of a moveslot when you could just use a Flying Gem as your item and still have a Dark-type STAB to work with afterward (Night Slash).

This thread is for coming up with changes to existing Pokemon and theorizing about how they'd perform and how the meta would adapt around them, though.

Yay first post on new account
What if Sand and Hail gave a 50% boost to Rock and Ice moves respectively?
Hail literally has nothing going for it currently (and even less with its Nerf). Sand is almost in the same boat. What if, like Rain, Sun, and the Auras, Sand and Hail got a boost?
With it, Mixed Abomasnow is very threatening.
+1 252 SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn: 171-202 (48.57 - 57.38%) -- 46.88% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 172+ SpD Gastrodon: 205-243 (48.12 - 57.04%) -- 41.02% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gyarados: 232-274 (70.09 - 82.77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Tyranitar is even worse.
This is the Band Set.
+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 235-277 (66.38 - 78.24%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 393-463 (121.67 - 143.34%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 244 HP / 40+ Def Gliscor: 300-354 (85.22 - 100.56%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What if Sand and Hail gave a 50% boost to Rock and Ice moves respectively?
You gotta keep in mind that Sand has (unlike hail) "at least" a Special Defense boost for rock types, and both do residual damage, unlike Rain and Sun. Sad thing is that hail has really nothing, other than countering other weathers and giving Blizzard 100% accuracy. But yea, i would love to see every buff to hail possible, and starting with an attack boost would be the first thing that would come to my mind too, apart from that, it doesn't even have a conterpart to Sand Rush/Swift Swim/Chlorophyll. Even if it got a boost to ice attacks, hail would still remain the "worst" weather, due to the lack of abusers, the terrible hazard weakness and the fact that ice is a terrible defensive typing. And another thing is that with a boosted ice move Abomasnow can still barely threaten any of the other weather starters and has to rely either on it's secondary stab or other coverage moves.

what if black kyurem got dragon dance, and/or ice shard/ice punch?
also, what if diggersby learned extremespeed?
and last but not least, what if wobbuffet could learn metal burst?

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
AncientPower, Omnious Wind and Silver Wind are so gimmicky. It's really fun to use them and just bank on the boosts, and i have been using moves like that on Togekiss just to luck out some people, but it's just not reliable at all. What really hurts is the extremely low PP. You won't get the boosts, that are really the only thing that make up for the lack of power, first turn every time. I've been running out of pp so many times before the move even paid off in the slightest. 10% chance of boosts (20% with Serene Grace) is really not worth the lack of pp and power, not even with 70 base power. I mean i guess AncientPower could make a decent filler on an offensive Heatran, even though this pokemon isn't really in need of filler moves.

AncientPower, Omnious Wind and Silver Wind are so gimmicky. It's really fun to use them and just bank on the boosts, and i have been using moves like that on Togekiss just to luck out some people, but it's just not reliable at all. What really hurts is the extremely low PP. You won't get the boosts, that are really the only thing that make up for the lack of power, first turn every time. I've been running out of pp so many times before the move even paid off in the slightest. 10% chance of boosts (20% with Serene Grace) is really not worth the lack of pp and power, not even with 70 base power. I mean i guess AncientPower could make a decent filler on an offensive Heatran, even though this pokemon isn't really in need of filler moves.
Well, I do use AncientPower on a test Heatran to deal with Talonflame (and only that reason); the funny thing is that it only hits the same amount as Lava Plume if it is super-effective or if Lava Plume is resisted. It would be nice if it could hit for 16% more damage.

What if those moves had a 100% chance to boost 1 random stat rather than a 10% chance to boost 5 stats? Would the guaranteed boost of something make it reliable enough?
I think it might, because that means it would have an 80% chance to boost something useful one stage every time you used it. A little bit of luck means you might even be able to sweep with enough speed and special attack boosts. Or be able to tank better with some (special) defense boosts.

What if Meditate boosted Attack, Special Attack, Defense, Special Defense, and Accuracy 1 stage, but lowered Speed and Evasion 2 stages?

When I first saw the move meditate, I just imagined the Pokémon using it stopping in the middle of the battle and leaving itself open to attacks while it focused its mind. This would make the user more vulnerable, (vaguely similar to how Close Combat makes the user more susceptible to attacks), but the mental focus would toughen it up, and make it better at retaliating back.

Most of the users of that move are slow to begin with, so the speed drop doesn't really bother them. The best user of this would probably be Hitmonlee, who can use White Herb+Unburden to gain all of the boosts while doubling its speed. Its low HP and defense would still make it weak to priority moves though, even at +1. Talonflame and M-Pincer would have no problems revenging it, if they were still around.

What if Aegislash got a Ghost-Type version of Drain Punch or Giga Drain? Honedge's dex entry mentions it draining life force, after all. Perhaps becoming similar to Conkeldurr, playstyle wise? I believe Autotomize sets would become more common, as would more defensive ones.

Edit: Misunderstood thread, did not realize this was Gen V OU.

Updated Question: What if the Rotom-Formes did not lose their Ghost typing, but rather had their Electric typing removed instead? How would Rotom-A have functioned in the very offensively-based Gen V Metagame?

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What if Teleport caused you to enter an invulnerable state for the remainder of the turn (a la Bounce/Fly/Dive), and then bring out another pokemon on your team at the end of the turn?

The only ones this would be relevant for currently would be Alakazam and the Deoxys forms, but it would be a viable fourth move for any of them as a way to guarantee a safe switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)