Finals The World Cup of Pokémon 2018 - Finals [Won by Team US Northeast]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teclis

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Some people can complain about Pokémon being a shit game for competition with "haxx", "match-up" and stuff, but East's domination during the last years is the proof that with hard work, preparation & good players, you can stay at the top. That's truly something to respect in these game of ours in which true consistency through the tiers/years is hard to achieve. So congratulations :blobthumbsup:

but one of those days the frenchies will crush you. just wait for our lucky star to show itself.

So glad to have won my first wcop with such supportive and hardworking team!

Have to apologize for my blunder in the finals, got carried in tiebreak

Here are shoutouts for my amazing team:

ABR: you are such a hard worker, being able to innovate and come up with the best ideas in sm and oras, building solid teams and checking on everyone. You are also knowledgeable in all tiers, being able to win in a clutch gsc game vs a strong opponent without much experience. Definitely a top player and teammate!

Aim: You played a great endgame despite an early disadvantage, and it gave us a much needed win! It is so cool your YouTube channel is so big and I always enjoy watching.

August: You were a beast in dpp and also very nice, you always involved me in conversations and an outgoing person. I liked talking about nba with you and the rest of the team and I hope to get to your math level soon.

BKC: Glad to team with one of the best
All-time and you delivered with a great gsc record, the bw game can be put behind from all the other hard work you put in. I like how passionate you are for the game and couldn’t believe you could survive with no wifi for so long.

Bro fist: You are such a great battler, of course you never lose when it matters and I know you will continue winning. You were a great captain alongside abr and are one of the best sm players.

Finchinator: I think you were the most friendly person in the chat, and very hardworking. You always asked how everyone was doing and helped a lot in testing and building. You were a great chat presence and I enjoyed seeing ur pictures with food all the time.

Lemaitre: Although you didn’t get a chance to play, you were extremely helpful in testing and helping build. I saw that you are extremely knowledgeable in oras and hope you have success in stour!

Obii: You were awesome in scouting and helping the team when you didn’t play much and also very funny in chat. It is cool that you are studying physics and that you are good at math. Thanks for playing fortnite with me sometimes even though I’m only on mobile.

Pdc: We didn’t really talk but I know you helped a lot in adv and hope your channel grows.

Robjr: In the games you played you were really good despite bad mu and hax, you were a great teammate and you built a team with little help from abr and won with it which was cool.

Sabella: Even before wcop I knew you were a cool guy always willing to help as you volunteered for ruiners help, and you had a fine season overall. I am a fan of your beedrill team :)

Teal6: Even though it was rby it was still very entertaining to watch you play. You are always funny in the chat and even funnier when you are drunk.

Updated Kanto: Mr. Fortnite and dpp master couldn’t get to shine but he will destroy in dpp in the coming tours. Was nice having someone I knew before wcop on the team and hope you join some hax sessions.

Zf: You were kinda quiet like me but I think you stepped up and played a big role winning crucial adv games.

And to the players not on the team:

Starmaster, Roscoe, and Habajiga

You guys helped a lot in your respective tiers and had a large chat presence and of course thanks to habajiga for the amazing logo.

Also have to shoutout the wg gang
Jet :) Fmg ;) Blarghmilas

Last edited:

Updated Kanto

Banned deucer.
Two trophies in one year wooooo! I got carried hard this time around not being able to nab even a single win and while some people may think I lost on match up vs 3 Volcaronas Id' like to say that I in fact lost those by playing BAD and match up had nothing to do with that. Pretty poor performance but I still had a great time. Also probably wont be playing ORAS again in the near future except for maybe qualifying for STour and instead I will become an oldgen main and try to show that I can in fact play ADV DPP and BW the 3 gens I've wanted to play at a high level ever since I got into mons. (Maybe SM too cause xtra says if you don't play current gen you're poor)

ABR - 2nd time we team in a row ! You were magnificent in helping the team prep as I expected after teaming with you in SPL. I know I gave you trouble during the group stages and I apologize for that. I have nobody to blame but myself for the lack of motivation and dedication. If you lack both why sign up right? Won't make that mistake again. Anyways good job clutching up when it mattered and I think you have a ton of promise in GSC like I do in DPP. (Self-Plug)

august - Lowkey was kinda worried about teaming with you after I called you out in WCoP like 3 years ago when Ary was on West and it was West vs East but you didn't seem to mind it too much so that was a relief. As one of the greatest DPP players on this site I acknowledge you as a top DPP player and probably the best DPP player from back in da day that still plays now. You're also pretty smart, I remember looking at the main chat and having no idea what you were talking about but there were a lot of numbers and abbreviations involved. You should give SM a shot you might do good like Tamahome in Snake.

BKC - We might've not seen eye to eye even outside of mons (Sometimes I was doing it on purpose because I found it funny) but you're a great player nonetheless and you helped old gens significantly. I do respect that you speak your mind a lot tho, people like to say calm down haha its just a game but fuck them sometimes people deserve it. Need more fine gentlemen that speak their mind and call people out in public.

bro fist - You're a pretty chill guy and a great captain. I always thought the captain should be a great player and by that saying you'd probably be the best captain of this tour. It must be pretty hard going into a game and everyone pretty much expecting you to win especially in tie breaker. I mean every time we did a tie break I was like okay yea so Bro Fist wins and we're 1-0 now to hope for the best in the other games. Seriously dude you're a good player and it makes me feel some typa way that you don't play in individual tournaments that much. You also listen to Bad Bunny so thats dope!

Finchinator - Regardless of how you may seem on the forum you're a pretty swell guy whos always analyzing their battles to see where you went wrong and how you could improve. It was also nice seeing you post pictures of your dinner aka wings just rearranged in a different way each time.

Hiye - I was glad that you were on board especially after I tried to get you on metro last year. After you won STour though I had no doubt we'd be teaming in WCoP. You played phenomenal (except for that one blunder in the finals but I mean nobodys perfect). The other guys may see you as quiet and stuff but that was different for me so I didn't mind that you weren't as active in the NE discord because I knew you were equally excited for this tournament and just as hyped as the rest of us whenever we won..

Lemaitre - I didn't know much about you going into this tournament but you were a ton of help especially in ORAS. I wanted you to start over me so bad especially after I went 0-3. No offense to Obii I just wanted you to get a shot at playing in the so called "big leagues" since I hadn't seen you in any big tour before and I felt that you could surprise everybody and play a good game.

obii - Was glad to have you on board since we also teamed with Metro. Glad you stepped up to play on my behalf even if you didn't win you showed that you knew what you were doing. We should play more fortnite and you should also get a mic and stop flaking the other NE guys. Always fun to bring up the fact you n star didn't listen when I recommended hiye for metro last year. Bet you were glad he was on board now hahh.

PDC - 2nd time we team and I still don't know much about you. I don't even remember your games but im sure you helped zf in ADV after he took over. You should get back into ORAS you were pretty good at that gig when I was still a ladder hero.

robjr - Just like ABR we've both now won SPL and WCoP back to back but man you stepped up for both tournaments. After Sab went on vaca and didn't know if he was going to be able to play you subbed in and won the game bringing us one step closer to finals. You're a great player and builder and I wouldn't be surprised if you were to win Snake and just take all 3 team trophies in one year.

Sabella - You did well this WCoP and you're also a pretty funny guy. It's nice that you dont get mad at people making fun of you're height and I think you're the best 5'2 player in the game RN. (I think it was either you or ABR that was 5'2 I dont remember)

teal6 - One of my supporters since last year's OLT run! One of the nicest guys on this site and it was cool to watch you dominate in RBY when people kept betting against you. You really showed that you could transfer your skill from another tier to RBY which is something very important in the Xtra commandments.

zf - We didn't get a chance to talk much these 2 WCoPs but you're a great player and a very diverse player which has always stood out to me. Glad you were able to catch that WCoP trophy cause I was heavily rooting for you last classic.

habajiga Star roscoe - Thanks for helping out NE especially since you guys kept the main chat active as fuck + contributing in the prep knowing there was no benefit in it for you guys.

shoutouts to all the people that supported me sorry I let u down, I'll try to do better next time.
shoutout fortnite
shoutout epicgames
shoutout faze

pasy_g

Banned deucer.

To my boys from Northeast!

While many people want to see you fail, do not forget they are not godly gifted and they had and still have to put in a lot of work to play consistently at such a high level. And instead of meming and accepting them as the every years winner, take it as an inspiration to work on your game to get on such a level!

I wanted to lose some words on general behaviour and sportmanship, but i think most of it has been said in other places and i hope you guys take it to heart and don't let your success be overshadowed by other shit. It definitly takes something to force NE to a third game in the tiebreak, congrats to that, even if you don't hold up the trophy in the end it is still a success to be proud of.

Last edited:

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Hm well as much as my own ego wouldve wanted my first trophy to be an individual after a few days i realized that was an incredibly dumb thought. I couldnt have asked for greater group of people to spend the season with including our other goons in the chat. I really had a ton of fun in the chat with all of you getting to know some of the new faces to me and even find my long lost brother august. Even though i actually finished positive during the tournament I am a bit disappointed personally for not really being at my best throughout wcop and letting my teammates down as well who were expecting more from me. But such is life sometimes your hot sometimes your not just gotta ride the wave. I will finish off by saying im super stoked to have gotten my first trophy and im glad it was with some of the chillest people Ive met on smogon. On to individual shout outs.

Zf: So I'd say I've actually known you for a few years now. I think one of the first times we met was when i was trying out for metro during wcop 16. I just remembered you saying you had never played oras and we ended up chatting and playing a few games and I was blown away with how cool your builds were along with how good you were for a guy who had never played the tier before. That among many other players i met that year made really think about I would have develop as player. After your run for classic last year I really felt you were on top of your game but wish you didn't quit for a while cause that discord server goon beat you in lc. I am deff glad you came back to play this wcop because you really helped our playoff run.

Updated Kanto: Its pretty crazy to see you with two trophies now and even though you didnt have the wcop season you wouldve liked i think theres still alot of future accomplishments for you to achieve and i hope your goals continue to grow because the sky is the limit.

Teal6: Yea so ill start with telling you that i probably wont pay up LOL. But if we all do go out to dinner i will pay for your meal at the least lmfao. Man how the fuck do you go from getting Peas twice into Marco twicce along with the european magician and manage keeping your head on straight and excelling. I know life has you busy more often then not now but its still cool to watch you play all this different tiers and do so well. Your career goals always seem to be what your really zoned in on and I deffinately found it inspired me on my lazier days at work. Keep working hard brother all the best.

Robjr: I'll start by thanking you for saving my ass after my game vs cdumas you subbed in round 2 of playoffs and played like a real champion that game. You also played a great gsc game in quals only for you to have some unfortunate late game turns. It was great having you around as a man to call on and eventually one of those spots will be yours no question. Watching you work hard over the last two years has been pretty great. Youve slowly turned into a mini abr with a bit of flare in your play style and i imagine your road is far from over as well even though you have two trophies now, i hope you continue to excel in tournaments and i look forward to watching. Also thanks for the ru teams they are dope.

Pdc: We didn’t really talk all to much, continue down the hardest path to women. I know you didn't have your best tournament either but i suppose it can take a while to get into a groove after such a long break, I don't think anything will keep you from winning eventually.

Obii: Man I shoulda just flaked on this shout out, Mr. Dandruff aka Head and Shoulders. But for real its cool to think that we ended up winning our first trophy together after a year and half since spl 8. I find our experience here very similar in terms of the fun we had. Ive always felt a little in debt to you for constantly giving me chances throughout 2017 because I don't think I could've had the year i had without your help and guidance. Letting me start in both wcop and snake last year just really gave me the boost on confidence I needed at the time. I hope you continue to play more in tournaments over managing but i do feel you've done a good job managing so far except for taking a nap during spl 9. Keep up the hard work buddy and there will be more to come.

Lemaitre: You were my ratchet oras partner in crime this year. Although we didn't get to use any of our dirty ass teams i did have fun building and talking about music with you. I am also glad you opened up your mind building at the end of the season because I think you could be a dominate oras player in the near future. Congrats on the trophy cant wait to see what comes next.

Hiye: LMFAO bro im sorry i totally forgot your shoutout. I c/p from your post so naturally my dumbass forgot. Man so if im being completely honest i thought you were pretty bad for a good while. Two trophies later and i look like an idiot lmfao. So Ive known about you and weve crossed paths before but never really in a more intimate setting until i came to help out the ruiners. Thats really when my opinion of you flipped 360. We played like about 5 or 6 oras games and man those games were just so good. I felt like even for a test game we were both playing our fucking asses off like we had something to prove to each other. So i will apologize for any bad things i have said in the past and would like to say that you are a beast bro. Its crazy to see you adapt to different play styles and teams so quickly and its something im envious of. You legit never talk but im glad that you still involved yourself from time to time.

Finchinator: So even though everyone has this meme about you not being allowed to have a trophy I am really glad you finally won. I think all your hard work polishing your craft has shown over your time on smogon. I think you also learned that after being around for what id imagine is close to 6 years for you that there is always more you can learn. It seemed after meeting with Kev your bw game was seriously on point so i hope you keep playing at that level and no one can stop you. You really matured as a player this season as well to me, you always kept your head down during the tough times and just worked instead of complaining about what couldve been. I think even you still have new heights to grow to and I hope you think so as well.

Bro fist: Hur Dur Vro Fist The Punisher of Plays. Ok seriously I fucking love this meme so much and really its so fitting because my god you are a once in a life time talent that people will talk about 10 years from now. I don't think anyone is quite as clutch as you and I don't think anyone ever will be. Your composure under pressure and ability to think through every situation calmly and effectively still leaves me in awe although Ive known you now for almost two years. I love watching every game you play because I feel like I learn something every time so I hope you end up signing up for snake so that I can continue to watch. Thanks for all the help and advice over the last few years.

BKC: Man I really wished I listened to John and called you the goat in person. I really love your slightly more old school approach to pokemon in an era where scouting and theorizing every mon you might or might not see is taken into account. Way to much shit triggers you but at the same time I love your passion. Anything you believe in you believe in it with passion and its really easy to rally around that. Thanks for being a leader the team needed.

August: Fuck dude you are like my long lost brother on smogon. Just because I knew you would want it this way I took a massive hit as I am writing this lmfao. I didn't know much about you at the start but we had a ton of fun with our session of dpp during the beginning of the season and then when you smoked me in your first SM OU game ever i realized why you have that yellow trophy. Your are one talented beast at this game dude I do hope you end up sticking around to maybe play some other smaller tours because id love to team up with you again. Me you and roscoe always had great ridiculous conversations I always had a fucking blast talking to you guys. If you dont end up playing b/c of school i hope all goes well.

Aim: Fuckin beast. Called upon in finals and wins. You played that endgame like a veteran who knew what his only outs where. Glad to see you got married and enjoying life doing what you love. Keep killing the game bro hope you end up qualifying for slam.

ABR - Big Dadam. Many you really carry the boys on your back. Your work ethic for excellence in this game really shows when you see it up close. Your constant advice for the whole team and leadership no doubt lead us to this trophy and I dont think theres any questioning that. Although our fundamental approach to building might be different im glad we still ended up being involved in making some really cool builds during the season. I think your career on smogon can be what ever you want it to be and you will go down in the history books as one of the greatest ever like Kevin and John all the best luck.

And to the players not on the team:

Starmaster, Roscoe, and Habajiga - Roscoe bullied me and everyone on the team relentlessly nearly everyday. He also rooted against us every round. He still calls me tubby everyday and he says Kevin is square and calls Joey a homo religiously. Roscoe was also the most awesome person i met during the tournament. He keeps it real 24/7 and will always fuck around with you and keep the banter alive. I lenjoyed bull shitting with you about life most of the days and just ragging on people it was always a ton of fun. Star bro they will release you some day. Your probably one of the most talented players Ive met since ive been on smogon. Thanks for the constant help and testing over the last two years. Youll get your trophies some day Im sure of it. Haba thanks for the logo bro. Your a funny dude, i would love waking up in the morning seeing your memes from the night before.

NorthEast thanks for the ride lads.

Last edited:

robjr

is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
RUPL Champion
Feels very good to already have my second trophy this year. Before I do the individual ones, just want to shout out the team as a whole, for making this tournament extremely fun and enjoyable. The chat was always active and I’m glad I was able to take a part. We ended off the opening round not like we all hoped, but once the first tiebreak came around I think we all realized the level of effort we had to put in. We were definitely given a run for our money throughout this tournament. Lastly, ggs to west. I think you guys were a surprise team to most, and it was cool to see you guys come this far.
ABR - After teaming with you for a second straight tournament, I can’t say anything but thank you. The amount of effort you put in these past few months was insane, and you deserve a ton of credit. The amount of work you put in showed, especially in SM and ORAS. You were able to produce so many solid sm teams with ease. I know that your record wasn’t all that you wanted, but your support overall is unmatched. And thank you for clutching in the tiebreak, lets see ya GSC next SPL :o. Hopefully we can team again for snake and complete the trophy trifecta.

aim - I know you were super busy throughout this entire world cup but thank you for clutching out a win in finals. Must have felt weird to have your first game be in finals but I knew you would step up. Glad to see your now happily married and still enjoying mons. Hope you can qualify for slam, you definitely have the experience to go far in these opens.

august - The only things I knew about you before world cup were that you have been part of the east dynasty for years and were high up in the hall of fame rankings. Glad I got to meet you, always made the chat enjoyable and were awesome in DPP this year. Anyone who thought you might be a bit rusty or inactive was completely wrong. Even attempted sm ou a bit, even though you didn’t know much about the new gen. Your moltres suggestion was spot on, really pulled the team together. Hope you come back next year, so we can go for another :].

BKC - First I just want to say glad I got to team with you after just missing out on playing for east last year. You're a player most players have/do look up to, and your consistent winning is a feat no one is better at, now standing alone with 7 trophies. I don’t want to see you leave anytime soon, and I know you won’t. Your passion for this game is clear, as well as your skill across any gen you play. I know you wanted to clutch the tiebreak but sadly mons doesn’t always go your way. Hope to see you continue to add to your trophy list.

bro fist - Once again similar to BKC, your someone new players can look up to, as your new gen dominance is well known. You were a great captain and a chill guy, always laid back and never panicked. 8-0 in tiebreaks is an insane feat. Whenever we need you to clutch I know we can count on you to bring in a win. I know you told me last year after I didn't make east to just improve and come back again, and those are words I took to heart. I’m glad I showed you my improvement and got a chance to play. Can’t wait to team up again :].

Finchinator - As much as people want to meme you, they can at least not do it anymore for not having a trophy. You played BW at an extremely high level this entire WCoP, and put in a lot of work testing to make sure you went into each game with the right team and gameplan. You also did your best to help out wherever you could, and no one could have asked for more from you. You worked extremely hard for it and it paid off. Hope to see you add to it.

Hiye - Sadly you weren’t able to talk a ton this WCoP, but you were amazing in sm anyway(5-1 goat). Your finals You were able to comment on any ideas we had, which was enough for you to be successful. Your clearly very talented and still have a lot of room to grow. I expect to see you back next year, and hopefully you'll be able to join in more on our non-pokemon conversations :].

Lemaitre - Going into the tournament you pretty much new to everyone, until you beat john and abr in an stour live tournament finals. Then, starry started talking about you to the point obii brought it up in the NE chat, and now here we are. Even though you didn’t get the chance to play, you were a great help to both our ORAS and DPP teams. I hope you get to play ORAS in a tournament soon. You have a creative building mind and certainly have the skill to do well.

obii - I first got introduced to you by NJNP a few years back, and we’ve been good friends ever since. Was cool to see you step up and play in ORAS. You actually played really solid despite not getting the result you wanted. People can bring up your overall record all they want, but your help this season was amazing. You always got the SM talk going and had some cool ideas yourself. Your a teammate any team would love to have. I’ll leave out any flake comments and leave this on a good note. Gl managing in snake, hopefully we can team up again in the future.

PDC - Didn’t get to talk to you a ton but you were great help to our ADV. Playing or not, you always had some good input and didn’t hesitate to help out ZF when he got subbed in. I know your R1 games probably didn’t all go exactly how you wanted, but you played well regardless. Don’t know if your returning yesterday but your still a good player and would be cool to see you back in some other tournaments. Also, hope to see you on the adv ladder sometime.

Sabella - Before this tournament we hadn’t had the chance to talk much but you are a funny dude and a great chat presence. I know you would have wanted to be playing down the stretch but you still helped out a ton and were great in the games you played. I appreciate how supportive you were when I was subbed in, as well as the tests you gave me. Regardless of whether you were playing or not, you were always helpful when it came to building and testing. You have a very creative building mind and I hope to see you continue using it.

teal6 - I didn’t know a ton about you before the tournament, and honestly didn’t know much about your rby skills. You played awesome pretty much every game, and had some amazing reads. Your drunken stories where always hilarious(even if sometimes I feared for your safety lol). Your a great dude, hopefully we can team up again.

Updated Kanto - First thing I want to say is don’t let this tournament define you, your still a really great player who just had a bad stretch. Your SPL performance was stellar and I expect you to bounce back in whatever tournament you decide to do next. It’s cool that we were able to team together for our first two trophies, and have them happen one after another. Maybe we can go for snake as well.

zf - We didn’t get to talk a ton because of the tiers we interacted in, but thank you stepping up and doing a great job in ADV. After we decided to put you in starting in r2, you immediately stepped up. You lost a close one to a tough opponent but seeing you bounce back in the last two round was fantastic. Hope to see you play in SPL, would be cool to see you play some more ADV and you clearly have the skill to do well.

habajiga - Thank you for making our kick ass logo and always wanting to play some sm ou. I'm glad that you took the time with our logo and went through all the steps with us, couldn’t have came out better.

roscoe - Thank you for always clowning around and making the chat fun, as well as helping out in dpp a bit. Also thank you for the motivation you gave the team, from gassing the other team every round. Too bad you didn’t take the hardest road.

Star - Was cool to have you around in the chat this season. You actually helped out a ton and were basically a member of the team(tourbanned bum). Jokes aside, hope you can get yours next year.

Thank you guys again for the fun few months, hopefully next year we can defend our trophy!

Last edited:
Soz to the guys for thunderblundering harder than I have in a long time in the finals and thus contributing making things come down to this tiebreak, putting us at risk for heart attacks. Who knew after so long playing the game you still need some reminders and lessons taught the hard way? I hope I made up for it throughout the rest of the tour though. At least John got to do it again. You're welcome for the record padding, asshole. It's your cosmic reason for being here. X-Force.

Being able to meet up with several guys from the team was really cool since we a lot of us live pretty close. First it was me/John/Adam/Sab, early-ish in round 1. While waiting for the latter 2 aka the midgets, John filled me in on WCoP happenings ("sg is fire bro") because I don't have a phone which also led to the fun game of "find Kev in Grand Central" and through him I gave august the finger in my cowboy hat, which was then complimented by a random guy on the street as being real pimp-like. Not a humblebrag, just a brag. My hat is the shit, despite what the fashionista ban me pleases on my team would have you believe. Anyway then the vertically challenged boys appeared (roscoe could be heard laughing in the distance) and we walked without direction until I decided this is ridiculous and made the call that we would blow excessive money at TGI Fridays. The second time was me/John/Adam/Finch at Five Guys for several hours during our series against France on the day teal played Peas. Finch jumped up and down like a small boy on Christmas when teal did whatever and John got to witness the ketchup with a side of burger. We then mapped out every possible matchup for Finch on pen and paper. That was delightful. Third time was last Friday, with Finch/Star/TDK, with an aggressive lack of obii despite us being outside his god damn apartment, with Jirachee making a later appearance and him/TDK/me hanging with John on Saturday. Deadpool was even better the second time around. We'll do it once more because Finch promised us dinner and Star needs to return my SP. Now that I've beaten Red I can finally work on completing the PokeDex. I need to catch a Heracross and I'm so excited to caringly raise a new batch of Pokemon into their evolved forms. Houndour's first up. Lapras is amazing btw.

Jumpluff (F) @ Leftovers
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Mega Drain
- Giga Drain

My "strategy" with was to make things a little harder and a lot more fun. That's what she said. Battle on set, not shift, and use... less-than-great Pokemon. This means a full team, no starter + easy access shit (maybe Eevee + shiny Gyarados + Suicune (+ postgame Snorlax) is not acceptable). Hoppip is ridiculous to raise but Pluff made it worth it, even though it doesn't even learn Absorb for God's sake... I was Tackling shit throughout the Elite 4. Stalled out Red's Pikachu with ease.

Persian (F) @ Amulet Coin
- Pay Day
- Slash
- Shadow Ball
- Bite

Fitting in with the theme but Persian is a real moneymaker and I'm a cat person.

Togetic (M) @ Leftovers
- Double-Edge
- Fly
- Flamethrower
- Flash

I think in all my 16 years playing GSC I've only gotten a Togetic once so I decided to go all the way here. Fly + Lefties stalling is especially excellent with Jumpluff support.

Lapras (M) @ Never-Melt Ice
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Body Slam

Unexpected MVP. I decided to go with Lap because I like it a lot but then it learned Ice Beam at level 34 and combined with its impressive bulk it just cleaved through most things.

Dragonite (F) @ Pink Bow
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Extreme Speed
- Wing Attack

Worth the monstrous effort.

Typhlosion (M) @ Charcoal
- Flame Wheel
- Flamethrower
- Thunder Punch
- Earthquake

Like I'd ever not use my best pal. Well, Meganium's pretty great, but eh. Feraligatr is for dbags. Anyway this is the classic Typhlosion moveset, used to have Quick Attack until he got to level 60. What a champion. Reference Pokemon Golder for more information.

After last year's permanent troll fest where John and Adam annoyed me until into swearing I'd either play for Europe or not play I wasn't really looking forward to the tournament, especially after SPL. Then the teams got split up. When teal PMed me asking if I'd play for them, I had just sat down in 6 PM Wednesday psych. I said fuck it, sure. We then had a blast in the channel and I had to try hard to not laugh while in class which is always a good sign. RIP Omfuga.

Overall, this was a great experience so despite me being as "old" and jaded and permanently pissed off at everything as I am, I'll do some halfassed shoutouts on a basis of necessity, especially for the new guys. Hope you guys had even more fun than you can express in words because that's what the Pokemon experience is all about. Enjoy the trophy.

ABR: Thanks for killing yourself for the team as usual, although if it's as enjoyable as it is then what better way to go? We'll probably collapse in the midst of explaining the worthlessness of wasted Speed EVs, although I'll probably go first due to the added stress of some of your Opinions. However, nearly no complaints this year. Looking forward to next and winning more Pokemon throughout the years.

aim: Always popping in to help when you could, coming up huge in the finals, and engaging roscoe in his silliness. Stupendous work. Congrats again man, I'm mad jealous.

august: Calling my landline, suggesting SM Moltres, shooting the shit daily... really came back and went above and beyond this year. Obligatory DPP comment. But really, great work bro. Come have dinner with us.

bro fist: Necessary comment about how I won't repeat our beautiful 2009-present origin-to-present story for the x millionth time. All these wins are getting kind of absurd though.

Finchinator: It's always nice to have someone relieve some of the "check on everyone to make sure nothing fucking stupid is happening" duties. Maybe it's a Jewish thing. Didn't (want to) use stupid bullshit in BW, imagine that... and played well and with foresight. Good work.

habajiga: I'm not sure what your weird Slavic deal is but it's probably something I can get behind. Thanks for the logo, I always appreciate great art, and also thanks for staying up until retarded times so I had someone to talk to upon late returns.

Hiye: You're a terrific player and keep to yourself very much to a fault. Open up a bit. That said I was excited to have you on the team because you always manage to find a way to win and use solid teams. Strong performance, keep it up.

Lemaitre: Lemon. I like your style in DPP and ORAS. Stick with it. That tour you won was real sick and a sign of what's to come if you keep it up.

obii: Flaky ass. You're a good dude and a good player though man. Hope you start playing more and showing what you can do. The teams are already there, everything else will fall into place. MCH is God.

PDC: I hope things turn around for you man. Stick with it. Think ahead. The capabilities are there. Thanks for dishing on music with me a few times, esp that poptimism shit, that'll never get old.

robjr: I'm still really sorry you had to get subbed in on 0 notice in round 1, although a) it was super gay for that to have happened (imo anyway) and b) you should've won, you played really great and bullshit got in the way. Anyway you're stupid talented in a multitude of tiers (thanks for the XU shit it's great) so I look forward to seeing how well you proceed there and also with being a tall clunky guy for the next few years

roscoe: Sab is a midget and Finch is Carlton and I'm angry

Sabella: Sab you're a genuine real good dude. I guess you have to be to make up for that height deficiency. Anyway one of the best on Smog to have on your team, and occasionally vicious Pokemoner. Some of those games were pretty darn tight. Thanks for being a sick teammate who shares my enthusiasm for the best show of all time; if using SM rain is gay, then I'm the biggest queer on Earth.

Star: You've come a long way from obnoxious cbb drone. There is no higher praise. Once you're unbanned you can finally focus solely on proving obii's ridiculous praise right although fucking around is still pretty fun. Thanks for ruining my pizza by explaining just how awful LC is. Feel free to level my guys up btw. Trophy next year.

teal6: For a while it felt like every time you talked I was attacking you because it was some "SPL 7 is the first team tour on Smogon" ABR type shit but most of the time you're messing. I have issues taking a joke, lol. You really are a great dude though, as generic as that sounds. I liked watching you shoot the shit with the other senior citizens, it was strangely calming. Also some strong RBY work in this tour. When I was in a diner with Rachee and TDK then the latter was checking his phone. "Kevin teal got 6-0ed. Oh never mind, he 6-0ed." Still don't know how that happened. I'm excited to see Golduck and friends make an appearance someday soon.

Updated Kanto: Sometimes tours just don't go your way. Happens to everyone. Sorry for yelling a lot, I do get a little too into it although I maintain that using the best shit is key. You're terrifying when you're on in ORAS so I look forward to seeing more from you... the SPL game is one of the most intense Pokemon experiences I've had. And of course I wish you nothing but the best as you embark into the beautiful land of DPP. Feel free to hmu whenever for that or the other oldies.

zf: When I saw you were playing again I knew I wanted you on this team. Ever since ADV Cup you've shown you have a great mind for the tier, sorry we couldn't get rain workin. Thanks for accepting 2 teams I threw at you out of frustration and using them beautifully. You know your stuff in GSC/DPP/BW as well and LC too so I hope you stick around.

Old East: I'm sorry they split us up. As Captain Legendary Dave says, the fact it came to that says more than any mushy shit I could come up with here. You'll always be the true WCoP team.

West: I could just recycle most of my SPL post here... anyway I have the utmost respect for some of your members and think most of you are fine players. Several of you guys were on my OUPL team which was a lot of fun and Phil#s + undis are my heroes. This next part doesn't extend to you, strangely.

Anyway the whole nonstop trolling and then acting like poor innocent victims when someone tells you how fucking annoying you are is real obnoxious. Knock that shit off and focus on the game. Bush league shit like that is what ruins a great hobby. It's weird because as far as I can tell some of it was supposed to be some ironic satire of how Smogtours behaves but it's come full circle and is just flat out jerking at this point. It also just seems like some people who did it never change in how much they enjoy riling others up but I guess that's human nature. Anyway learn when to shut the fuck up, especially with stupid nonsense like "lol unwinnable matchup in GSC" (I can't believe this is still an excuse). Yes, I'm mad even though I won. Behavior like this shouldn't be ignored just because the end result went my way, imo. Also I'm incapable of ignoring such blatantly insufferable nonsense, but I don't like being fair-weather.

Aaaaaaand that's it I think. I've wanted revenge since 2012. Scofield's win post was a key driving factor in making me want to win more as a player overall, complete with the fucking Taylor Swift lyrics and condescension. Maybe this is all just a way to keep our competition growing, you'd think the trophy is the best motivation there is but "several of the guys on the other team are absolutely unbearable" will really give you that extra kick in the ass. I didn't quite get what I was looking for and accept blame for the first part at least so I'll justify it to myself with something something team contribution while waiting for next time. Maybe it was my deserved karma for that completely undeserved game against Italy (who I like a lot but that shit was fucking stupid and wrong and uncalled for). Who knows. YFPMMS 2018 edition.

Despite all that vitriol I had to vent out after keeping my mouth shut for what is for me an inordinate amount of time, this was overall quite a positive experience which is generally all I look for. I don't believe in the happy happy happy "ggs everyone thanks for playing :) all our opponents were so strong and it could've gone either way ^_^" because that screams insincerity but I did enjoy myself for the most part. It always gets tense down the stretch when all the fake niceness dissipates. Looking forward to the next tournament clash of "I fucking hate that guy" mixed with great Pokemoning.

To end on a happier note, the earlier start time of the tour this year was Incredibles 2. If we were on previous year's schedules we'd still be around for well over another week. The hardest road.

Last edited:
I'm not going to do the usual individual shoutouts for this but I do have some general thoughts on the tour as a whole.

For starters, Northeast was an awesome group of people. It had the combination of past teammates and also friends I haven't had the opportunity to team with. This was probably the most active/fun/lively team chat I've been in, so that aspect was definitely enjoyable. I feel like we were truly a brotherhood, able to jerk each other around but also at the end of the day we knew what needed to be done. It was also great meeting some of the guys in nyc too, solidifying that powerful bond. There's something special about going over Finch's game plan vs Roro while Kevin writes on his pen and paper in the five guys. In terms of approaching the pokemon games themselves we had some rough spots in r1 (record shows this) but the No Fucking Around message really resonated with us in playoffs and that showed too. Thanks for having a lot of faith in me, whether it was about stalling g3 tiebreak or trusting me to deliver in GSC despite my inexperience. I know I said no individual shoutouts but I do have one. bro fist you're a great player and an even greater friend of mine, was a pleasure achieving with you again.

On a more personal note, this world cup is in many ways more satisfying than the previous edition for me. Last year I helped obviously but I feel like the team still could've won without me and I also kind of joined the east party later than most, plus I went 1-3 in playoffs. This year that stat was a 3-1 and I got to win my last game of the season vs a great player on the biggest stage, so that felt really good. Even moreso though, I felt like one of the leaders on this team, both playing my own games and also with overall team choices in every tier. As I alluded to above, I really appreciate being trusted with the big decisions and it makes me more confident in those decisions by extension.

As for West, I don't intend to rub anything in or merely speak because we won, because as I said during the series there was definitely some insufferable behavior going on. I don't care about "cheese teams" or anything like that, pokemon is pokemon and I can never fault someone for trying to win within the rules. You guys also definitely have your share of talented players, some fresh SM minds (or ben gay drones?) and respectable vets like Philip and Lavos. Anyway, the main thing that got to me was not the awful jerking memes on their own, because hey I engage in that shit too. What bothered me was the hypocrisy - the inability to take what you were dishing out. You're gonna chain "zomog is the best player ive ever witnessed" and "list of players better than pm2: " but throw a fit when I drop an "is teal the goat" on smogtours? Jesus. Man up. You're also gonna complain about me matchup fishing in GSC of all tiers (while bringing bw cloyster mind you)? On top of that, there seems to be some inherent desire to achieve intolerability in its own right. I don't think I need to reference anything other than Lax's win post for this point, but yea there's more than that. Just check #wcop in the smogtours discord. One way or another, a lot of you really tried your best to be hated, regardless of intention that's the vibe that was perceived by myself and many others. To allude to what Kevin said, beating west felt really damn GOOD. #joat

ggs

Valentine

Banned deucer.
‘this was super satisfying and stimulating, but jeez you guys were annoying’

are you happy to have played against us or not? is our existence annoying to you or were you able to accomplish an amazing victory at the cost of our blood sweat and tears? would any other group of players this year been able to push you so far to your limits and given you the opportunity to contribute and compete as you did?

grats on winning but holy shit guys - as community leaders work on being the bigger man. recognize those who put in just as much work as you to make it all possible.

thank you Finchinator for giving your opponents some semblance of respect in your post.

Jesus Fucking Christ

Last edited:

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
I'm not going to do the usual individual shoutouts for this but I do have some general thoughts on the tour as a whole.

For starters, Northeast was an awesome group of people. It had the combination of past teammates and also friends I haven't had the opportunity to team with. This was probably the most active/fun/lively team chat I've been in, so that aspect was definitely enjoyable. I feel like we were truly a brotherhood, able to jerk each other around but also at the end of the day we knew what needed to be done. It was also great meeting some of the guys in nyc too, solidifying that powerful bond. There's something special about going over Finch's game plan vs Roro while Kevin writes on his pen and paper in the five guys. In terms of approaching the pokemon games themselves we had some rough spots in r1 (record shows this) but the No Fucking Around message really resonated with us in playoffs and that showed too. Thanks for having a lot of faith in me, whether it was about stalling g3 tiebreak or trusting me to deliver in GSC despite my inexperience. I know I said no individual shoutouts but I do have one. bro fist you're a great player and an even greater friend of mine, was a pleasure achieving with you again.

On a more personal note, this world cup is in many ways more satisfying than the previous edition for me. Last year I helped obviously but I feel like the team still could've won without me and I also kind of joined the east party later than most, plus I went 1-3 in playoffs. This year that stat was a 3-1 and I got to win my last game of the season vs a great player on the biggest stage, so that felt really good. Even moreso though, I felt like one of the leaders on this team, both playing my own games and also with overall team choices in every tier. As I alluded to above, I really appreciate being trusted with the big decisions and it makes me more confident in those decisions by extension.

As for West, I don't intend to rub anything in or merely speak because we won, because as I said during the series there was definitely some insufferable behavior going on. I don't care about "cheese teams" or anything like that, pokemon is pokemon and I can never fault someone for trying to win within the rules. You guys also definitely have your share of talented players, some fresh SM minds (or ben gay drones?) and respectable vets like Philip and Lavos. Anyway, the main thing that got to me was not the awful jerking memes on their own, because hey I engage in that shit too. What bothered me was the hypocrisy - the inability to take what you were dishing out. You're gonna chain "zomog is the best player ive ever witnessed" and "list of players better than pm2: " but throw a fit when I drop an "is teal the goat" on smogtours? Jesus. Man up. You're also gonna complain about me matchup fishing in GSC of all tiers (while bringing bw cloyster mind you)? On top of that, there seems to be some inherent desire to achieve intolerability in its own right. I don't think I need to reference anything other than Lax's win post for this point, but yea there's more than that. Just check #wcop in the smogtours discord. One way or another, a lot of you really tried your best to be hated, regardless of intention that's the vibe that was perceived by myself and many others. To allude to what Kevin said, beating west felt really damn GOOD. #joat

ggs
Yo, I don't really wanna delve too deep or start more shit but this callout onto West is extremely uncalled for.

First of all, you are calling out an entire team based on a couple or a few people's actions and words. This is really lame and you should know not to. I myself have definitely said stuff but the "actions reflect an entire team" thing is total bs. How many people REALLY said shit to you about mu fishing vs Lavos? Can you count them all on your hand? What matters is Lavos's thoughts and he did not complain at all in public. I don't even remember anyone complaining pubicly that you got a good matchup, that's legit just good on you so I'm not sure what you're saying.

What was wrong with my winpost? I openly admitted what we discussed in the team chan, that I would probably lost if I brought a standard team and he did so I chose a high risk high reward team that worked out in the end. I hyped up my teammate and said good game, and that was that.

I haven't participated in the #wcop channel recently but the fact that you put all this shit onto us or based it off 1 or 2 people (I don't even know if anyone said anything there after we lost?) really shows you're trying to antagonize us, man. Don't act like this is all just West when it is obviously not. Just enjoy your trophy. From what I've actually seen from our side and done myself, we've said GGs and it really should be left at that. It seems like you don't want it to be, though. If this was a bait post, congratulations man. Really showing why you're upper staff.

ill keep this short since i wasnt originally going to post unless we won, but i feel this thread could use a bit more unadulterated shoutouts and positivity. I'm obviously upset that my team was not able to win but I am happy for my friends hiyemilas and kanto at the very least. This was an enjoyable first trophy team tour experience for me despite all the unnecessary beef throughout the season. I am for the most part happy with how I performed and I felt that my record was not fully indicative of my performance. That being said, I do recognize that there is still a lot of room for growth for me as a player: I still have a tendency to tilt from hax and overlook details from time to time in the course of a game. I did say I'd do shoutouts so here they are.

West: it was great teaming with everyone and getting to know everyone in the west discord, whether it be prepping or just conversation. Our run throughout each round of the tour was intense and you guys kept coming in clutch and carrying my ass. I enjoyed testing with everyone, getting lifting advice from the resident chads, and plaguing the chat with my milas memes.

wg: wg will win olt

Last edited:

elodin

the burger
is a Tiering Contributoris a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
I'd like to make a post regarding this tournament and the community despite not being involved with either team.

To start it off I'd like to say there's nothing remotely impressive about this East win. WCoP has been the worst tournament on Smogon by far for the past 5 or 6 years because there's nothing competitive about it. The fact that you guys feel like this win was "better" than your previous ones because you struggled to get past round 1 then got extremely lucky vs France is fine, but Pokémon-wise there was nothing East did that I appreciated even a little bit apart from the usual solid performances from their best players (ABR and bro fist). Finals tiebreaker speaks for itself: awful teams, lots of matchup fishing and a minimal amount of good plays were key in it and throughout this entire tournament. Community-wise, East has always been an annoying team from my perspective, but this year some of you managed to be not only annoying but also a massive disappointment regarding your attitude and an embarrassment to the tournament community.

To have BKC out of all people make a post that tells people to "learn to shut the fuck up" and that "West spam and acting like victims was ruining a great hobby" has got to be a joke. I can't even stress how embarrassing that tiebreaker game was. To have the #1 player in the Hall of Fame call his opponent "fucking braindead" and say "gg you're a (BAN ME PLEASE)" in a smogtours with 1000+ people and then have other players in Discord telling lax he was actually being a (BAN ME PLEASE) and that he got what he deserved... Just a perfect example of everything that's wrong with the community summed in one game. I won't even get into you telling people to kill themselves afterwards, but the fact that you feel like you have any right to criticize anything that anyone says in this site after your actions is just mindblowing to me. You're the most accurate representation of why our tournament culture sucks: a grown man with over 10 years of Pokémon-playing acting like a whiny baby after losing a game and then being a complete child and showing extreme disrespect and 0 sportsmanship. And others follow suit. What's even more funny to me is how it looks like you try your best to be a hypocrite. Seriously dude, who the fuck are you to judge people who complain about matchup? I don't even know the last time you lost a game, official or unofficial, in which you didn't complain about something. You can't even lose to HSA in RoA Tour without bitching. I guess in your head there's this huge difference between losing then crying about matchup and losing and crying about other factors in the game, but they're actually just the same. Just like in your head there's probably this idea that you're better than the rest of the community because they use the n word but since you use the f word you're not doing wrong at all. What a joke.

Regarding ABR's post I'd just like to point out that if in your head it felt better to win vs West because of their attitude, just make sure to rewind and think about how the constant chat spamming and gassing started. Just remember that these actions that you describe as an "inherent desire to achieve intolerability" all began with East members last year, so why is this critique only applicable for West? Everything you said in your post (even referring to West's SM core as "ben gay drones"!) is applicable for your team.

Overall, this WCoP was extremely uneventful, boring, and lacked any Pokémon innovation to spark my interest in it. Hopefully next year's is better, but at this point I feel like we'd be better off just removing this awful tournament from the circuit already.

EDIT: after reading some of the posts again I made a quick edit to properly represent my current positions.

Last edited:

Amaranth

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UPL Champion
I'd like to make a post regarding this tournament and the community despite not being involved with either team.

To start it off I'd like to say there's nothing remotely impressive about this East win. WCoP has been the worst tournament on Smogon by far for the past 5 or 6 years because there's nothing competitive about it. The fact that you guys feel like this win was "better" than your previous ones because you struggled to get past round 1 then got extremely lucky vs France is fine, but Pokémon-wise there was nothing East did that I appreciated even a little bit apart from the usual solid performances from their best players (ABR and bro fist). Finals tiebreaker speaks for itself: awful teams, lots of matchup fishing and a minimal amount of good plays were key in it and throughout this entire tournament. Community-wise, East has always been an annoying team from my perspective, but this year some of you managed to be not only annoying but also a massive disappointment regarding your attitude and an embarrassment to the tournament community.

To have BKC out of all people make a post that tells people to "learn to shut the fuck up" and that "West spam and acting like victims was ruining a great hobby" has got to be a joke. I can't even stress how embarrassing that tiebreaker game was. To have the #1 player in the Hall of Fame call his opponent "fucking braindead" and say "gg you're a (BAN ME PLEASE)" in a smogtours with 1000+ people and then have other players in Discord telling lax he was actually being a (BAN ME PLEASE) and that he got what he deserved... Just a perfect example of everything that's wrong with the community summed in one game. I won't even get into you telling people to kill themselves afterwards, but the fact that you feel like you have any right to criticize anything that anyone says in this site after your actions is just mindblowing to me. You're the most accurate representation of why our tournament culture sucks: a grown man with over 10 years of Pokémon-playing acting like a whiny baby after losing a game and then being a complete child and showing extreme disrespect and 0 sportspanship. And others follow suit. What's even more funny to me is how it looks like you try your best to be a hypocrite. Seriously dude, who the fuck are you to judge people who complain about matchup? I don't even know the last time you lost a game, official or unofficial, in which you didn't complain about something. You can't even lose to HSA in RoA Tour without bitching. I guess in your head there's this huge difference between losing then crying about matchup and losing and crying about other factors in the game, but they're actually just the same. Just like in your heard there's probably this idea that you're better than the rest of the community because they use the n word but since you use the f word you're not doing wrong at all. What a joke.

Regarding ABR's post... I actually agree with most of what you said. I'd just like to point out that if in your head it felt better to win vs West because of their attitude, just make sure to rewind and think about how the constant chat spamming and gassing started. Just remember that these actions that you describe as an "inherent desire to achieve intolerability" all began with East members last year, so why is this critique only applicable for West? Everything you said in your post (even referring to West's SM core as "ben gay drones"!) is applicable for your team.

Overall, this WCoP was extremely uneventful, boring, and lacked any Pokémon innovation to spark my interest in it. Hopefully next year's is better, but at this point I feel like we'd be better off just removing this awful tournament from the circuit already.
I can agree with the sentiment but the format is fine, the winners' behavior being intolerable is a reason to take action against the winners, not against the tournament

not that I think we should do anything drastic to USNE, but it's no secret that the standards for acceptable behavior in this community are really low

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
talk about massive disappointment elodin, how about going 20-10 in quals just to ge booted out r1 of playoffs. :mehowth:
I dont really understand the thought behind we didnt impress you because we werent flashy or innovative. Being consistent long term is equally just as impressive. Going 20-10 to getting 6-0d r1 is quite the opposite of that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)