Gen 6 The Vantablack Hourglass (Gen 6 Pure Hackmons)

Introduction:

Since I’ve done many laddering challenges in the past for hacked Pokemon, I thought I’d try a laddering run of Gen 6 Pure Hackmons. The objective of the run was fairly straightforward: try and get 1st place on the Gen 6 Pure Hackmons. However, as with the vast majority of my laddering runs this one ended up being a resounding failure. Regardless, the team used for this attempt contained unique techs like Scarf Pursuit and Pokemon such as Mega Absol that hadn’t been explored much in Pure Hackmons prior and had significant success on the ladder. Hence the existence of the RMT.

Pokepaste for The Vantablack Hourglass:
https://pokepast.es/ad45825c45ae0a78

The Vantablack Hourglass:

FatalSuperstitions (Absol-Mega) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Gear Grind​

Mega Absol possesses a huge 150 base attack stat and a speed tier on par with Mega Rayquaza, which allows it to have both a high damage output and outspeed practically everything in the game with a Choice Scarf including other common Choice Scarf Pokemon. Absol’s Huge power in tandem with Close Combat, Gear Grind, and Knock-Off, allows it to consistently outspeed and KO the most common Wonder Guard Pokemon such as Xerneas and Arceus with relative ease. Additionally, Absol also mauls Giratina, which is one the biggest threats to the rest of the team since it often carries Encore and Curse. However, what makes Mega Absol a true powerhouse is its strong and quick Pursuit which allows it to consistently trap and remove many powerful but frail offensive threats such as Mega Gengar, Mega Latios, and Mega Mewtwo Y before they can do anything meaningful.

SandsofDespair (Garchomp-Mega) @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Rush
- Thousand Arrows
- Pursuit​

Mega Garchomp serves as the team’s primary wallbreaker. With its massive 170 attack stat in tandem with its near-perfect Ground and Dragon STAB combination and Mold Breaker few if any Pokemon can avoid being OHKOed or 2KOed by its attacks. Garchomp is chosen over Primal Groudon for its STAB on Dragon Rush which allows it to KO max defense Giratina after a bit of chip damage. A Choice Band set is used over a Shell Smash set as Mega-Garchomp has many exploitable weaknesses which means it must make the most of the turns it has on the battlefield. Pursuit might seem odd on this set since it doesn't hit any offensive or defensive barricades. However, it can trap and remove level 2 Sableye and Spiritomb whose spam of moves such as Curse, Will-O-Wisps, Psycho Shift, and Pain Split will slowly ruin the rest of the team.

AbyssalPrisoner (Slowbro-Mega) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Parting Shot
- Recover
- Destiny Bond
- Haze​

Mega Slowbro serves as the team’s answer to Groudon and other insanely strong Mold Breaker physical attackers with its titanic 180 defense and water and psychic typing. Slowbro uses Prankster with a moveset composed of Haze, Parting Shot, and Destiny Bond to shut down physical set-up sweepers, consistently escape Shadow Tag users with priority pivoting, and lastly to trade itself in to remove a threat that cannot be defeated easily otherwise. Safety Goggles are used on this set to shut down Spore variants of set-up sweepers and to have the most consistent defense against Sleep strategies. Mega Slowbro also fills the important role of being an Imposter Proof for Garchomp as an Imposter’s attacks will do next to nothing to Slowbro and Parting Shot will weaken its attacks so other teammates can take advantage of the Imposter.

FallaciousSavior (Arceus) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Topsy-Turvy
- Parting Shot
- Encore
- Recover​

While Mega Slowbro is a formidable barricade for physical attackers, its special bulk of only base 80 in tandem with its Psychic typing leaves it vulnerable to many special attacks. As such the team’s secondary Prankster Pokemon Arceus covers for both the ghost weakness and vulnerability to Mold Breaker special attackers with its excellent neutral bulk and specially defensive EV investment. Arceus carries the moves Encore, Topsy Turvy, and Parting Shot to lock set-up sweepers into disadvantageous moves, Flip boosts gained through means such as Shell Smash, and lastly consistently escape Shadow Tag with priority switching. Like Slowbro, Arceus uses Safety Goggles to avoid the most common sleep move: Spore. Arceus also serves the team as the Imposter proof for the 2nd Arceus with its immunity to its Spore and its ability to lock it into unfavorable moves so Absol can force it out with the threat of a Huge Power boosted Close Combat.

EldrichTimepiece (Scizor-Mega) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Powder
- Defog
- Baton Pass
- Recover​

Mega Scizor is the first component of the team’s Wonder Guard core. Scizor’s excellent Steel and Bug typing give it only a single weakness to fire and immunity to Poisoning and Toxic Spikes. Since Scizor is the only pokemon on the team with an Immunity to Toxic Spikes, Defog is placed on Scizor to minimize the damage they can cause to the rest of the team. The last two relevant moves on Scizor are Baton Pass to reliably slow pivot into an attacker and ensure that Substitutes from the 2nd Wonder Guard user stay intact through pivoting, and Powder to scout for Fire-Type moves that could potentially OHKO Scizor. Scizor uses a Shed Shell as the sleeping immunity offered by Safety Goggle or Lum Berry isn’t very useful against the No-Guard abusers that it checks. Scizor, additionally imposter proof’s Absol as Absol doesn’t have a Fire Move and thus can’t touch it.

EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Spore​

Arceus serves as the 2nd component of the team’s Wonder Guard core. Arceus’s excellent combination of typing, bulk, speed, and sole weakness in Fighting makes it an excellent support pokemon. Its moveset: Spore, Recover, Substitute, and Baton Pass, allows Arceus to put foes to Sleep and Pass Substitutes to Garchomp and Absol to give the frail duo more opportunities to attack and more resistance to status conditions. Arceus’s Substitutes and Sleep Spam also assist greatly in mitigating the disadvantages of Choice locked attackers by forcing in either passive walls that have Safety Goggles or frail Mold Breaker Pokemon, both of which are easily taken advantage of by Absol and Garchomp. Arceus uses Safety Goggles to ensure that it can’t be put out of commission by Spore and so it’s more imposter resistant.

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6purehackmons-1613279009-hdbz5j9cfwy76wkkqfhs097fa2djudgpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6purehackmons-1613478486-y21ie6u0mg1ha5d6w5qhe8qz0dss363pw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6purehackmons-1613911054-juj7ssxu9bjrlc5okcwosgqb2i8y2nwpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6purehackmons-1612056087-guu2wijqeyg5wr2rz35yo673k234996pw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6purehackmons-1613201377-l9t8y7thcjuotgsm57xsn26cmyxcu38pw

Threat List:

Dark Void:

While Spore is easily countered with Safety Goggles, Dark Void is another Story. Mold Breaker + Dark Void is guaranteed to Sleep anything outside of Magic Coat users. The best bet to avoid Dark Void is to hide behind Substitute if possible.

Shadow Tag Pokemon with Priority :

Pokemon such as Shadow Tag Regigigas can easily trap and remove Absol and cause major damage to Garchomp if caution isn’t taken.

Curse:

While Encore is more manageable, Curse can cause large amounts of damage fairly quickly. To play around Curse consider what Pokemon can take the most chip and switch around to position an Encore to force out the Curse User. For non Prankster, Giratina Curse users Pursuit trapping with Mega Absol is also an option to remove said users.

Bad RNG:

Since The Vantablack Hourglass makes heavy use of strong but inaccurate moves like Dragon Rush, Precipice Blades, and Gear Grind, getting unlucky and missing several in a row can prove to be problematic. There isn’t really much of a way to play around this factor aside from careful positioning and having a contingency plan in case of an unlucky miss.

Proof of Peak and Alt Ownership:

Additional Notes / Shoutouts :

Considering the absolute cancer that was generation 8 Pure Hackmons, it was a pleasant surprise to see that Gen 6 Hackmons was balanced, diverse, and straightforward to play.

Shoutouts to Daylight for suggesting Gen 6 Pure Hackmons.

Last edited:

Daylight

angels roll their eyes
is an Artistis a Contributor to Smogon
Introduction:

Since I’ve done many laddering challenges in the past for hacked Pokemon, I thought I’d try a laddering run of Gen 6 Pure Hackmons. The objective of the run was fairly straightforward: try and get 1st place on the Gen 6 Pure Hackmons. However, as with the vast majority of my laddering runs this one ended up being a resounding failure. Regardless, the team used for this attempt contained unique techs like Scarf Pursuit and Pokemon such as Mega Absol that hadn’t been explored much in Pure Hackmons prior and had significant success on the ladder. Hence the existence of the RMT.

Mega Absol possesses a huge 150 base attack stat and a speed tier on par with Mega Rayquaza, which allows it to have both a high damage output and outspeed practically everything in the game with a Choice Scarf including other common Choice Scarf Pokemon. Absol’s Huge power in tandem with Close Combat, Gear Grind, and Knock-Off, allows it to consistently outspeed and KO the most common Wonder Guard Pokemon such as Xerneas and Arceus with relative ease. Additionally, Absol also mauls Giratina, which is one the biggest threats to the rest of the team since it often carries Encore and Curse. However, what makes Mega Absol a true powerhouse is its strong and quick Pursuit which allows it to consistently trap and remove many powerful but frail offensive threats such as Mega Gengar, Mega Latios, and Mega Mewtwo Y before they can do anything meaningful.

Mega Garchomp serves as the team’s primary wallbreaker. With its massive 170 attack stat in tandem with its near-perfect Ground and Dragon STAB combination and Mold Breaker few if any Pokemon can avoid being OHKOed or 2KOed by its attacks. Garchomp is chosen over Primal Groudon for its STAB on Dragon Rush which allows it to KO max defense Giratina after a bit of chip damage. A Choice Band set is used over a Shell Smash set as Mega-Garchomp has many exploitable weaknesses which means it must make the most of the turns it has on the battlefield. Pursuit might seem odd on this set since it doesn't hit any offensive or defensive barricades. However, it can trap and remove level 2 Sableye and Spiritomb whose spam of moves such as Curse, Will-O-Wisps, Psycho Shift, and Pain Split will slowly ruin the rest of the team.

Mega Slowbro serves as the team’s answer to Groudon and other insanely strong Mold Breaker physical attackers with its titanic 180 defense and water and psychic typing. Slowbro uses Prankster with a moveset composed of Haze, Parting Shot, and Destiny Bond to shut down physical set-up sweepers, consistently escape Shadow Tag users with priority pivoting, and lastly to trade itself in to remove a threat that cannot be defeated easily otherwise. Safety Goggles are used on this set to shut down Spore variants of set-up sweepers and to have the most consistent defense against Sleep strategies. Mega Slowbro also fills the important role of being an Imposter Proof for Garchomp as an Imposter’s attacks will do next to nothing to Slowbro and Parting Shot will weaken its attacks so other teammates can take advantage of the Imposter.

While Mega Slowbro is a formidable barricade for physical attackers, its special bulk of only base 80 in tandem with its Psychic typing leaves it vulnerable to many special attacks. As such the team’s secondary Prankster Pokemon Arceus covers for both the ghost weakness and vulnerability to Mold Breaker special attackers with its excellent neutral bulk and specially defensive EV investment. Arceus carries the moves Encore, Topsy Turvy, and Parting Shot to lock set-up sweepers into disadvantageous moves, Flip boosts gained through means such as Shell Smash, and lastly consistently escape Shadow Tag with priority switching. Like Slowbro, Arceus uses Safety Goggles to avoid the most common sleep move: Spore. Arceus also serves the team as the Imposter proof for the 2nd Arceus with its immunity to its Spore and its ability to lock it into unfavorable moves so Absol can force it out with the threat of a Huge Power boosted Close Combat.

Mega Scizor is the first component of the team’s Wonder Guard core. Scizor’s excellent Steel and Bug typing give it only a single weakness to fire and immunity to Poisoning and Toxic Spikes. Since Scizor is the only pokemon on the team with an Immunity to Toxic Spikes, Defog is placed on Scizor to minimize the damage they can cause to the rest of the team. The last two relevant moves on Scizor are Baton Pass to reliably slow pivot into an attacker and ensure that Substitutes from the 2nd Wonder Guard user stay intact through pivoting, and Powder to scout for Fire-Type moves that could potentially OHKO Scizor. Scizor uses a Shed Shell as the sleeping immunity offered by Safety Goggle or Lum Berry isn’t very useful against the No-Guard abusers that it checks. Scizor, additionally imposter proof’s Absol as Absol doesn’t have a Fire Move and thus can’t touch it.

Arceus serves as the 2nd component of the team’s Wonder Guard core. Arceus’s excellent combination of typing, bulk, speed, and sole weakness in Fighting makes it an excellent support pokemon. Its moveset: Spore, Recover, Substitute, and Baton Pass, allows Arceus to put foes to Sleep and Pass Substitutes to Garchomp and Absol to give the frail duo more opportunities to attack and more resistance to status conditions. Arceus’s Substitutes and Sleep Spam also assist greatly in mitigating the disadvantages of Choice locked attackers by forcing in either passive walls that have Safety Goggles or frail Mold Breaker Pokemon, both of which are easily taken advantage of by Absol and Garchomp. Arceus uses Safety Goggles to ensure that it can’t be put out of commission by Spore and so it’s more imposter resistant.

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6purehackmons-1613279009-hdbz5j9cfwy76wkkqfhs097fa2djudgpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6purehackmons-1613478486-y21ie6u0mg1ha5d6w5qhe8qz0dss363pw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6purehackmons-1613911054-juj7ssxu9bjrlc5okcwosgqb2i8y2nwpw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6purehackmons-1612056087-guu2wijqeyg5wr2rz35yo673k234996pw

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6purehackmons-1613201377-l9t8y7thcjuotgsm57xsn26cmyxcu38pw

Threat List:

Dark Void:

While Spore is easily countered with Safety Goggles, Dark Void is another Story. Mold Breaker + Dark Void is guaranteed to Sleep anything outside of Magic Coat users. The best bet to avoid Dark Void is to hide behind Substitute if possible.

Pokemon such as Shadow Tag Regigigas can easily trap and remove Absol and cause major damage to Garchomp if caution isn’t taken.

Curse:

While Encore is more manageable, Curse can cause large amounts of damage fairly quickly. To play around Curse consider what Pokemon can take the most chip and switch. around to position an Encore to force out the Curse User. For max non-Giratina Prankster Curse users Pursuit trapping with Mega Absol is also an option to remove said users.

Bad RNG:

Since The Vantablack Hourglass makes heavy use of strong but inaccurate moves like Dragon Rush, Precipice Blades, and Gear Grind, getting unlucky and missing several in a row can prove to be problematic. There isn’t really much of a way to play around this factor aside from careful positioning and having a contingency plan in case of an unlucky miss.

Considering the absolute cancer that was generation 8 Pure Hackmons, it was a pleasant surprise to see that Gen 6 Hackmons was balanced, diverse, and straightforward to play.

Thank you so much for the shoutout! And I absolutely love how creative and innovative this team is. I’ve gotten so used to the monotony of Primal Groudon and Xerneas and Giratina that this team is a very welcome breath of fresh air. I really love the use of both Mega Absol and Mega Garchomp.

As far as suggestions go, the only big thing I notice is that it might be worth considering Baton Pass over Parting Shot on Mega Slowbro. When facing a Pursuit user like Mega Gyarados (or Mega Absol!), a fast (or priority) Baton Pass completely evades damage, while Pursuit still pursues Parting Shot. That being said, Parting Shot still has it’s merits and it’s not a straight upgrade. Powder is also a move I’ve never been able to use successfully myself and I think I would personally prefer Aromatherapy (or even Iron Head or Gear Grind or hazards) on Mega Scizor. That’s all really minor though. Overall, super cool team with super cool mons. Glad to see it did so well. ❤

Um I don't like the moves of mega garchomp pls tell me good moves for it
Unfortunately, the set I have posted has all the best moves available to Garchomp in gen 6. Dragon Hammer and Dragon Darts don't exist in generation 6 so the best Physical Dragon Moves are Dragon Claw, Dragon Rush, and Outrage. As for its other STAB the best move it has available is Precipice Blades, however even that has a notable disadvantage in that it can't hit Flying Types and has low accuracy. Thousand Arrows, it's next move covers for that weakness as it can hit flying and has perfect accuracy, though it has much lower power. Pursuit is essentially mandatory on the team if it wants to beat sets like this:

Sableye-Mega @ Flame Orb
Level: 2
EVs: 76 HP
- Curse
- Psycho Shift
- Pain Split
- Baton Pass

That are immune to Spore and can just freely spam Curse, Pain Split, and Psycho Shift to single-handedly 6- 0 the team. I supposed if you want to you could use V-Create or Trick instead of Pursuit, however, those generally aren't worth it as Ground hits most of the same types super effectively as V-Create and Garchomp need's its Choice Band Intact to have enough power to actually wall break.

And also this team as many threat like a wg gyrados sets up then mega evolves then we cant do anything because most people use extreme speed on it so Prankster won't work and I want to replace mega absol for mega mewtwo it's stat

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Choice Band
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Gear Grind
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

I dont know it this is better than mega absol so can you tell me if this is better than mega absol and I can use it if this is not better than mega absol I will use mega absol because I need a stebel team if I want to be on ladder bored so pls help me

And also this team as many threat like a wg gyrados sets up then mega evolves then we cant do anything because most people use extreme speed on it so Prankster won't work and I want to replace mega absol for mega mewtwo it's stat

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Choice Band
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Gear Grind
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

I dont know it this is better than mega absol so can you tell me if this is better than mega absol and I can use it if this is not better than mega absol I will use mega absol because I need a stebel team if I want to be on ladder bored so pls help me
In a vacuum, your Mega Mewtwo X is certainly better. Mega Mewtwo X has much better bulk hits harder etc. . . However, on this specific team, I've found Mega Absol works better. The reason for this is Choice Scarf Mega Absol is fast enough to outspeed and Pursuit Trap frail and fast pokemon like Mega Gengar, Mega Latios, and Mega Mewtwo Y, while still being strong enough able to nail Giratina with STAB Dark moves. The ability slow pivot into Absol at any time prevents many pokemon from ever being a factor in a game which is absolutely huge for this team. With regard to Mega Gyarados, generally shutting it down with Wonder Guard Arceus's Spore before it gets a chance to set up and Baton Passing into Garchomp is the best option. However, if that fails Slowbro should have enough bulk to cause issues with Haze and Arceus has Encore and Topsy Turvy to stop it. Regardless, if you are really struggling to proactively play against Mega Gyarados you could switch Destiny Bond on Slowbro to Perish Song or Whirlwind to better deal with Gyarados from a reactive standpoint.

anyone got counter for this team or ideas for counter it? trying to make a team that could beat this.
Since this team was constructed when the Pure Hackmons meta was less optimized and this team was the first team I made for Pure Hackmons (in other words it was built when I had zero Pure Hackmons experience), there are many flaws in this team that can be exploited. First and foremost is the team's weakness to Dark Void. When I built the team, I saw Spore was preferred over Dark Void for accuracy and because it's easier to Imposter-Proof. However, the heavy Safety Goggles usage and a lack of moves like Magic Coat and items like Lum Berry mean this team loses a Pokemon every time Dark Void is used. Some other notable flaws that emerged in the more modernized meta include: fast Taunt users like Wonder Guard Mega Beedrill, contemporary Shadow Tag Pokemon like Choice Scarf Trick Mega Mewtwo X, and Choice Scarf Trick Groudon, etc....., and new threats like Mold Breaker Dark Void Mega Rayquaza. Of course, the team also has all the same issues listed in the threat list section, including a weakness to Prankster Curse and Encore, its reliance on inaccurate moves, and its weakness to Fake Out + Extreme Speed Shadow Tag users. Hope this helps.

anyone got counter for this team or ideas for counter it? trying to make a team that could beat this.
For further guidance on Gen 6 Pure Hackmons, I'd also recommend checking out the Old Shark Room on Pokemon Showdown. To find it, first, find the other metas chatroom. Directly below it in smaller text, you'll find the label subrooms. One of the subrooms for other metas is Old Shark which is the PS Chatroom for Pure Hackmons . Click on Old Shark and you should be able to chat with other folks about Pure Hackmons. There you can also find the invite to the Pure Hackmons Discord if you want to chat there.

Civilsim

formerly hotgall1337
Introduction:

FatalSuperstitions (Absol-Mega) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
Lonely Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Gear Grind​

SandsofDespair (Garchomp-Mega) @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Rush
- Thousand Arrows
- Pursuit​

AbyssalPrisoner (Slowbro-Mega) @ Safety Goggles
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Parting Shot
- Recover
- Destiny Bond
- Haze​

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Topsy-Turvy
- Parting Shot
- Encore
- Recover​

EldrichTimepiece (Scizor-Mega) @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Powder
- Defog
- Baton Pass
- Recover​

EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Spore​

Replays:

Threat List:

Dark Void:

Curse:

While Encore is more manageable, Curse can cause large amounts of damage fairly quickly. To play around Curse consider what Pokemon can take the most chip and switch around to position an Encore to force out the Curse User. For non Prankster, Giratina Curse users Pursuit trapping with Mega Absol is also an option to remove said users.

Bad RNG:

This team isn't very good in 2023. I beat it with mono registeel.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6purehackmons-2011069860

This team isn't very good in 2023. I beat it with mono registeel.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen6purehackmons-2011069860
While teams inherrintly dwindle in effectiveness as new discoveries are made and people are informed of what it attempts to accomplish, the replay you presented is insufficient to show the team is ineffective in 2023. As a teambuilder who publicly posts many of their creations, I've had many instances where someone cherry picks a replay off ladder and uses it as proof my build doesn't function. However the problem with this is in 99% of those instances the player using the team clearly has no idea what they doing. 1391 is very low on ladder and the moves taken by your opponent in the replay demonstrates they do not understand how to correctly use my team or understand the fundementals on how to play pure hackmons . If your opponent demonstrated an understanding of how to use my team, then I could see this in tandem with many other replays against competent players proving the team's ineffectiveness. However as it stands, the evidence you've shown doesn't demonstrate the team's ineffectiveness as much as your opponent's inability to play Pure Hackmons.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)