The Top 10 Titans of the 5th Gen RU Metagame

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yanmega

Yanmega was absolutely ridiculous during its time in RU, sure it had an annoying Stealth Rock weakness, but the combination of its great special attack stat, good STABs for the tier at the time, and two absolutely amazing abilities that helped it wallbreak and sweep more effectively respectively made it incredibly hard to deal with. Yanmega was a powerful and defining force in early RU, and definitely deserves a top 2 spot.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yanmega

It's honestly this or Venomoth for #2. Think Yanmega gets the nod just due to the fact it could sweep and wallbreak equally effectively. Hardest thing was actually figuring out what the user wanted to use it for. Your game plan for it could work for the set you were guessing for, but if you were wrong, you were as good as dead. Tinted Lens made it to where nothing truly had a resistance to its STAB moves and Speed Boost made it p. much impossible to revenge kill since it actually had some sort of physical bulk to take a priority move or two. Both sets were really good and very different in their approach. Great mon and very difficult to handle.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yanmega

Even though it was only RU in BW1, it was the king of the tier at the start and shares the honor with Venomoth for the first Pokemon to ever get banned from RU. It could utilize Speed Boost+LO to be a force to be reckoned with, hitting hard while it has a lot of speed; after some boosts it's pretty hard to revenge kill. The only true way to stop Yanmega was probably Munchlax, who we all know at this point is pretty damn bad. There's also Specs Tinted Lens, which gives it an almost unresisted Bug Buzz that hits hard, while Air Slash is pretty powerful too. It had terrible Special bulk and the 4x SR Weakness, but how terrifying Yanmega can be makes up for that. Wasn't RU for that long, but worthy of second place here imo.

Hakumen

Hot grill
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alright so the voting for the #2 spot ends here!

Yanmega : 5

Yanmega is the Winner!

Yanmega won and is so the second titan of the RU metagame. The original uber of the ru tier(with Venomoth) was really difficult to handle, able to destroy Offense with Speed boost and 2HKO everyone bar Munchlax(which is really bad) with the Specs Tinted Lens and thanks to its quite good physical bulk was able to take priorities.

Voting for #3 spot

Alright we're now at the voting for the #3 spot.. Like the previous vote, you have to make a short explanation of your choice. The voting will last for two days. Happy voting!

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nidoqueen

Nidoqueen had a tremendous impact on the tier, that still affects the tier to this day. It was responsible for the rise of stuff like Uxie and Cryogonal, and the fall of full stall in RU.
Nidoqueen should be number 3, still has a huge impact on the tier to this day (unlike say yanmega or venomoth).

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Not voting, but just saying that Munchlax wasn't bad in R0 and there was a reason it was used beyond countering Venomoth and Yanmega; phazing with SR up was incredibly useful, and the fact that Munchlax also countered hail, Entei, Gastrodon, Alakazam, Omastar, Moltres, and Porygon-Z, it was a legit choice for a team despite the drawbacks which made it bad in the later metagames. There wasn't a sudden enlightenment that showed us that Munchlax was actually a bad Pokemon all along; it actually was good and later the metagame shifted to make it bad. Thought I'd make the record straight on that...

Nidoqueen
had a massive influence on the tier, whenever it moved in and out of the tier (which was often), the good pokemon varied massively. It basically shut down many amazing pokemon and made them not amazing, simply because of one pokemons presence. if this sort of effect on the metagame doesnt deserve #3, i dont know what does.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nidoqueen

Nidoqueen was an incredibly powerful and influential Pokemon during its time in RU, and imo had enough of a powerful effect to deserve the #3 slot on this list. RU was pretty balanced, with pretty much any playstyle being viable or good in BW1, but once Nidoqueen entered the tier in BW2 it was easy to see Nidoqueen had a massive effect, shifting the tier towards offense. Nidoqueen broke down most defensive teams quite easily thanks to how hard she was to wear down through conventional means, along with her Sheer Force boosted power and coverage, and a lot of people ended up either using bulky pivots such as Uxie or Mesprit to handle her or just resorted to revenge killing her, which shows just how powerful she really was. Really powerful pokemon, massive effect on the metagame, and one of the most controversial Pokemon to ever be in the tier.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nidoqueen

Ok, a lot of people are probably going to say Venomoth here and I can completely understand that. However, the fact of the matter is that Nidoqueen's affect on the tier is felt to this day (and probably forever as BW2 RU is coming to a close in a month or so) When Nidoqueen entered the tier, we saw an immediate shift to offense as stall teams simply couldn't keep up with Nidoqueen's coverage and staying power (the shit was immune to Toxic and T-Wave, resisted SR, AND could use LO for free) Of course, even after Queen's move up to UU, it's presence is still felt today. Uxie, one of the tier's top defensive Pokemon through every metagame, still uses an EV spread that was largely used to combat Nidoqueen. The base 80 Speed tier wasn't an important threshold to hit before Queen came to RU. But thanks to her awkward base 76 Speed, the base 80 Speed tier is quite possibly the most important benchmark for any offensive Pokemon to hit in today's metagame with Mesprit perhaps being the best example of this. Nidoqueen may never have been banned like Cress and Yanmega, but she's left a lasting impact on the tier that will probably last forever in BW2 RU as XY gets released in a little less than a month.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Nidoqueen

Since the day Nidoqueen joined RU (July 2012, for the record), it had a really massive effect on the metagame. Electric STAB was a lot less safe to use in the tier, and defensive Pokemon such as Ferroseed became relatively mediocre due to Nidoqueen destroying them. It forced a somewhat faster RU meta, with a pretty good need to have to outspeed and heavily damage Nidoqueen to beat it. It was suspected twice, and it was a very controversial Pokemon. It had a lot of power, no LO recoil, and was immune to both poison and paralysis. It also made Toxic Spikes almost completely unviable, so things like Scolipede and Roselia had to resort to just Spikes. Her impact was very big and lasting; even after the UU has taken it (and for a good reason btw)

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Alakazam

Alakazam was one of the most broken pokemon to even GRACE the RU tier, not only was RU more bulky offense back then because not much could even ATTEMPT at out-speeding it, but stuff like claydol became half decent because of it getting semi walled by it (although all claydol could do was shadow ball back or EQ, still a p. terrible mon to this day) magic guard really let kazam destroy lives, not only does it not give a shit about weaker special attacks from walls, but their statuses too, this was back around when SP sash dugtrio actually became popular because it could trap and 2HKO zam if rocks were not up to break it's sash, and even then you were pressured to always make sure the rocks and spikes were spun, games were more based on not letting alakzam switch in instead of actually winning, letting more strategical alakazam users win so easily because their opponents had to do absurdly dumb shit just to prevent kazam from switching in, it was that threatening. The closest thing we had to Kazam is Queen which moved up a bit ago (thank god, I was tired of running uxie or cryogonal on every damn team I make) but honestly didn't have the speed factor combined with it's "huge SpA", did the opposite of what kazam did (create a fast offense meta as opposed to a bulky offense meta) and wasn't compeltely immune to passive damage as it still took leech seed, spikes, *minor* SR, and burn damage

also, who can oppose a freaking psychic mustache?

hey Hakumen, a couple of people suggested i make a banner for this thread. it would go along the same lines as the one i made for the NU version of this (a reference to the anime/manga Attack on Titan if you don't know it):

Hakumen

Hot grill
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alright so firstly i'd thanks LAsagne21 fo the amazing banner.

So the voting for the #3 stops here:

Nidoqueen : 5
Alakazam : 1

Nidoqueen became the #3 titan. While it wasn't broken like Yanmega and Cresselia, Nidoqueen had a major impact on the metagame thanks to its power and coverage. It made Offense the best playstyle while making Balanced and Stall harder to play(still possible though). Also it centralized the metagame around fast threat outspeeding her. During Queen era, Electric-types like Rotom and Manectric were less good, same for Toxic Spikes and Aggron.

Now, voting for #4. Like the previous vote, you have to make a short explanation of your choice. The voting will last for two days. Happy voting!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
On second though, forget everything i said about Cofagrigus lol, totally forgot that venomoth existed >_>.

Venomoth

Venomoth was one of the most threatening Pokemon during the very start of the RU tier thanks to its combination of Sleep Powder, Quiver Dance, Baton Pass, and a great ability in Tinted Lens. Venomoth was exceptionally good at sweeping with some Quiver Dances under its belt, and was also great at passing them on to a more dangerous Pokemon that could cleanly sweep the opponent's team. Sleep Powder and Tinted Lens just helped augment this. Sleep Powder made it very easy for Venomoth to set up because of its ability to cripple potential checks and counters at any time and grab free turns. Tinted Lens made one move coverage a lot more feasible, making it perfectly possible for Venomoth to sweep with just Bug Buzz for coverage, especially if it managed to get more than one Quiver Dance off via good use of forced switches and Sleep Powder. Overall a very strong mon and definitely deserving of #4 status.

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I forgot about this thread, but the only mon I have played with that is in the top ten is slowking :/ I guess I'll just spectate from now on now that queen has been placed.

Mack the Knife

Goodbye Smogon! I may return, I may not!
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Cofagrigus
This thing has a lot going for it. Interesting ability. High stats. Trick Room. Nasty Plot. All these things are great on there own, and when one Pokemon can use them together successfully, then, in my opinion. they're quite deserving of the prestigious #4 rank.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
Cofagrigus

Cofagrigus was one of the former "kings" of RU, and for good reason. It had great bulk and the ability to spinblock, as well as a very cool ability in Mummy. Along with this came a nice Special Attack and Haze so it isn't set up fodder. Its ace in the hole that allowed it to rule RU though, was OTR Cofagrigus. This thing could use Trick Room+Nasty Plot and great two move coverage to become a great special sweeper, and made it an exceptional spinblocker because it could block and sweep; it could wall some stuff too. It wasn't broken like Cress or Yanmega, but it was a prominent Pokemon and had a pretty strong effect on the metagame during its time, and is definitely worthy of this spot.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm mostly just going to be counter-arguing lol
Venomoth

Again, the double threat of Sleep Powder and QD Passing was ridiculous and Veno and Yanmega were the biggest threats RU has ever seen, which makes it a Top Titan. There just really isn't much to say, it was quite possibly the most broken mon RU has ever known.

You guys are way overstating Cofag's impact on the tier tbh, it was influential but not really THAT big of a deal. idk if Cofag even deserves to be in the top 10, maybe at #10. It was nice to have a bulky Ghost that wasn't useless, I get that. But there was so much that countered Cofag and the fact that it took 2 turns of set up to be dangerous that it really wasn't overly hard to prepare for it and beat it even if the situation was right for it. There's no way he deserves to be #4 rofl, especially when I could usually just switch in Entei or Typhlosion and call it a day. If there is any defensive Pokemon that belongs here it should be Slowking, not Cofag.

ss234

bop.
Venomoth

Broken af-sleep powder, quiver dance, baton pass, good bulk and decent defensive typing. Was far more dangerous than anything on this list bar perhaps yanmega.

Also how can you put cofag before slowking / venomoth smh.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Venomoth

Broken af-sleep powder, quiver dance, baton pass, good bulk and decent defensive typing. Was far more dangerous than anything on this list bar perhaps yanmega.

Also how can you put cofag before slowking / venomoth smh.

venomoth

while i wasnt around when it was present, i know from others (and posts itt) that it was really thretening and definitely deserves #4

yeah Venomoth should be way higher probably (>nidoqueen imo). The combination of sleep powder, QD, baton pass and actual bulk is just amazing. If only Wonder Skin was around back then :P.

Voting Venomoth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)