The Top 10 Titans of the 5th Gen NU Metagame [General Discussion]

Absol. The fact that its Sucker Punch does more damage than even extremekiller Arceus' ExtremeSpeed all the way in Ubers is just showing you how good it is. One of my favorite NU pokes of early BW, and one of my favorite RUs now.

I mean, obviously Absol

But I think for numbers 9. and 10. we should be able to vote for whatever mon we want to that was nominated. Most everyone agrees that Cinccino and Amoonguss have no real business in the top 10. Even if this isn't really true and it turns out that the minority has been the most outspoken (putting Cinccino and Amoonguss in the top 10), no real harm is done, and we might just end up with a more accurate top 10 list. =8-0

I mean, obviously Absol

But I think for numbers 9. and 10. we should be able to vote for whatever mon we want to that was nominated. Most everyone agrees that Cinccino and Amoonguss have no real business in the top 10. Even if this isn't really true and it turns out that the minority has been the most outspoken (putting Cinccino and Amoonguss in the top 10), no real harm is done, and we might just end up with a more accurate top 10 list. =8-0
good idea actually, ill do this, it also means we spend less time with the whole hassle of people proposing other mons to replace them (which would inevitably happen).

k this is gonna be a thing for next round

Actually, I thought that Amoonguss deserved its spot on this list, although I had a few doubts about Cinccino. Anyway, I'm voting Absol for this round.

Absol - 18
Amoonguss - 1

The 8th most influential 5th gen NU pokemon is Absol!

Thanks to bobbyvaporeon for the Absol nomination!

What kind of effect did this Pokemon have during its time in the 5th Gen NU Metagame?
Absol possesses the strongest priority attack outside of Ubers in it's STAB sucker punch, as well as Pursuit, Nigth Slash, and coverage options like Superpower, Megahorn, and Psycho Cut. Absol alone made frail ghosts and Psychics a liability to be used, as a pokemon (lets use Haunter) had 2 options: Switch and most likely die, or stay in and still take a giant chunk of your health, and probably die. Even frail sweepers such as Cinccino were OKHOed by a powerful sucker punch. Absol was slow, but priority made up for that. Because of it, Fast Fighters like Emboar and Sawk that could comfortably take a Punch from him and OHKO rose.

What were its main roles when it was/is used?
Absol had 2 main sets: a swords dance set, and an all out attacker set (and a scarf set too i guess). The swords dance set was the most threatening, but Absol did suffer from 4MSS, but it did obtain perfect coverage anyways. 4 attacks was more dangerous from the start, but it had more counters as Absol couldnt boost its attack. It was mainly used as a trapper, Sweeper, and a cleaner with Sucker Punch.

What caused it to have such a significant impact? (Think Movesets, abilities, base stats, etc)
Absol has the strongest Priority IN THE GAME. Frail choice users such as Haunter and Mesprit that couldnt take a Sucker Punch were hard pressed to beat Absol. It's abilities, Pressure and Super Luck, arnet that great, but Super Luck with it's high crit moves is fun with hax. The rest of his stats are low, but when you ware that strong thats ok.

How would you deal with this Pokemon when you are team building/battling it? (checks, counters, etc)
Strong fighting types like Emboar (who moved up the same time as absol) were the best ways to deal with Absol. Pokemon that can play mind games with Absol and have to cause massive prediction with either using a status move to make Sucker Punch fail, or Attack and kill absol, also were good. Some scarfers, but they had to be able to take a powerful sucker Punch. Faster Priority was a big one (Linoone is an example) can punch through Absols low defenses.
You can now vote for #9! I'm adding back in the pokemon that didn't make it into the previous top 10, so your options are:

Cinccino / Amoonguss / Snover / Zangoose / Golurk / Mesprit / Ludicolo

Last edited:

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Cinccino
Don't know what's the hate for cinccino (I do know the hate, but the poke was very influential, even if it was a little overhyped)

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I literally think I saw hail twice in NU, not nearly as often as I saw Amoonguss a more influential mon imo.

I find myself wanting to vote for Zangoose or Ludicolo, but I simply can't ignore how influential Snover was. Both times it was in the tier it created a whole new playstyle, and an extremely threatening one at that. It brought obscure Pokemon such as Glaceon to the limelight, thanks to the massive threat they pose when used in conjunction with Snover. Hail was amazingly deadly when played right, and it wasn't hard to play right either (as can be seen in hnc's rmt Blue Hell). This massive influence means it deserves the #9 spot imo.

guys, can we get more explanations about why you're choosing the Pokemon? Just a small paragraph about the pokemons influence and why it deserves the spot you are putting it forward for. Come on, a little effort please.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)