The Sultan Walrus

Approved by Panic Station, I believe

Welcome to my Walrus! In case you don't know what that means, it means you will submit songs for each category and I will judge them. Some general rules:

• The deadline for submitting to the first category is November 13. I'd prefer if you'd submit all of your other songs by then, though it's not a requirement.
  • A song should be submitted at least a week before its category's reveal. I'll accept late submissions if I can, but keep in mind I have no obligation to do so.
  • Song choices are first-come, first serve. I will try to tell you if you submitted the same song as someone else, but if I make any mistakes in that regard, I'll just count it as a tie.
  • Don't submit anything I use as an example, obviously. Also, don't submit songs from the same artist in categories that they have an example song in, but you can submit them in other categories.
  • I'll try to go for weekly reveals, but keep in mind real life can get in the way.
  • Songs will be scored out of ten, considering a number of factors such as quality and catfit. I won't give out bonus points for first place etc,, since I don't believe in snowballing.
  • I'll allow people to sign up late, but keep in mind every unsubmitted song will count as a zero.
  • The winner will be the person with the highest average score.
  • Feel free to send extra text if you feel a song needs some context to understand its catfit.
  • I'm willing to make a deal with you: I can cut your lowest-score from your average, but I'd have to cut your highest score as well. If you want to accept this deal, you have until the sixth reveal to do so.
  • You can submit here, Discord, or MU (account name=leetic)
About my musical taste:
  • My favorite genres: prog rock, metal.
  • Other genres I like: blues, classical, disco, folk, grunge, jazz, post-punk/new wave, psychadelic
  • Can be hit or miss: bluegrass, classic country, EDM, indie, R&B, rap/hip-hop
  • Think twice before submitting: Christian contemporary, elevator music, modern country, K-Pop, other overly processed pop music, anything excessively slow and/or repetitive
  • Don't submit unless you want a zero: Bro-country
And now for the categories!

1. Gay and that's okay
Submit the gayest song you know. I don't mean that as an insult, I'm looking for anything that is ultra flamboyant and/or has LGBTQ+ themes.

Examples:
"YMCA" by the Village People
"This Charming Man" by the Smiths

2. What have they done to the Earth?
As issues such as climate change threaten to inflict complete ecological disaster, send me a song that is about the environment.

Examples:
"Hands All Over" by Soundgarden
"Rocky Mountain High" by John Denver

3. Hard Drop
Submit a dubstep song. According to Wikipedia, dubstep is "generally characterised by sparse, syncopated rhythmic patterns with prominent sub-bass frequencies", but maybe this will be more understandable.

Examples:
"Bangarang" by Skrillex featuring Sirah
"Let it Be" by Blackmill featuring Veela

4. One hit blunder
Submit a song from an artist that is generally considered a one-hit wonder, but isn't their most famous song.

Examples:
"Space Age Love Song" by A Flock of Seagulls (hit = "I Ran So Far Away")
"Chemistry" by Semisonic (hit = "Closing Time")

5. Time, flowing like a river
Submit a song that predominantly uses one or more unusual time signatures - e.g., isn't 4/4, 3/4, 2/4, or 6/8.

Examples:
"Black Rain" by Soundgarden (mostly in 9/8 with parts in 15/16)
"Turn it On Again" by Genesis (uses 13/4 and a number of other time signatures)

6. Workers of the world
I'm from a working class background, so submit a song about or relating to the working class. The two examples are both about my home state, too!

Examples:
"Allentown" by Billy Joel
"The Molly Maguires" by the Dubliners

7. English isn't mine
Send me a song sung in a language other than English. You'll get a higher score for creativity - I expect things like Spanish or Korean to be commonly used as submissions, but submitting a song in Tamil or Hausa? That would be interesting!

Examples:
"Wolf Totem" by the HU (Mongolian)
"Álvur Kongur" by Týr (Faroese)

8. Science is golden
I'm a physics major, so submit a song with scientific themes.

Examples:
"Little Neutrino" by Klaatu
"The Elements" by Tom Lehrer

9. "You're tearing me apart, Lisa!"
Being good isn't the only way something can be enjoyable, so submit a song that is so bad, it's good. Songs will be judged by enjoyability rather than quality in this category.

Examples:
"Monkey vs. Robot" by James Kochalka Superstar
"Boogie Heart" by Kayak

10. Life's a long song
The final category should truly be epic, so I'm looking for songs that are ten minutes or longer. Preferably ones that actually make me want to sit through the whole length of the song. This category will probably take longer than the others to judge.

Examples:
"Thick as a Brick" by Jethro Tull
"Inventions and Sinfonias" by J.S. Bach

Participants:
  1. termi
  2. Panic Station
  3. Eagle4
  4. shubaka17
  5. PassTheSaltDude
  6. nutella
  7. MyNameIsNothing

Last edited:
I'm gonna be nice and extend the deadline by two weeks since the next two weeks of college are gonna be brutal. November 27 is your new deadline for your first submission. I'd probably like your second submission by then as well, as then we can do a double reveal if we don't get much more people.

1. Gay and that's okay

7th place: MyNameIsNothing - SOPHIE - Immaterial - 6.5/10 - I can't deny that this has a good tempo, but the vocals are too processed for me to enjoy it as much as I would otherwise.\

6th place: termi - Xiu Xiu – Fabulous Muscles - 7/10 - Definitely fits the gay theme, and I do like the singer's voice. However, I feel like a couple of pitch or tempo shifts could have done better to keep my attention as the song goes on.

5th place: Eagle4 - The Knife - Pass This On (Shaken-Up Version) - 7.5/10 - I appreciate the synths thoughout and the canons towards the end, but it can be a little repetitive for my liking.

4th place: PassTheSaltDude - Vampire Weekend - Diplomat's Son - 8/10 - Starts out a bit slow but starts to pick up towards the end. Overall good catfit.

3th place: shubaka17 - Orville Peck - Queen of the Rodeo - 8.5/10 - Nice song, I like how it combines genres, and the singer has a good voice. Overall good submission.

2nd place: Panic Station - I DONT KNOW HOW BUT THEY FOUND ME - Absinthe - 9/10 - Very flamboyant and I like the energy. Reminds me of MCR.

1st place: nutella - Woodkid - So Handsome Hello - 9.5/10 - Actually liked this one more than I expected. Nice percussion, nice synths, nice baritone.

PlayerCategory 1
nutella9.5
Panic Station9
shubaka178.5
PassTheSaltDude8
Eagle47.5
termi7
MyNameIsNothing6.5

Next reveal will be Saturday December 11th, and will be for categories 2 and 3 (the environmental and dubstep ones). Don't forget to submit!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)