Turn Heavenward
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
August's Song Recommendations
Theme: Colors
Owners
Rage

Song: The Dillinger Escape Plan - Black Bubblegum
Genre: Metalcore
Description: for the colour theme I went with the first song in my library that had a colour/shade/hue whatever don’t attack me art people and this song is awesome, more melodic than their math core days but still fun

pablo
Song: mac miller - blue world
Genre: hip-hop/rap

Moderators
Celestial

Song: Yngwie Malmsteen - Black Star
Genre: Metal, Rock
Description: One of the greatest guitarists of all time in a perfect performance.

MDM
Song: Lovebites - Golden Destination
Genre: Heavy/Power Metal
Description: Lovebites have been absolutely dominating the Japanese power metal scene since the release of their debut album Awakening from Abyss and have shown that they have no plans of stopping any time soon.

Lux Prima
Song: Stevie Wonder - Black Orchid
Genre: New Age
Description: Secret Life Of Plants tends to be a pretty divisive Stevie album but personally, it has to be my favourite. And out of it came one of my alltime favourite songs, Black Orchid. Enjoy this masterpiece.

Mrs Fame
Song: Siouxsie And The Banshees - Red Light
Genre: Goth/Industrial
Description: Good. Good.

aenima
Song: Prince - Purple Rain
Genre: Rock
Description: one of the most legendary songs ever made. prince forever.

Clouds
Song: Lorde - Green Light
Genre: Electropop/Dance-pop
Description: Personal favorite on Melodrama, 2017 AOTY nominee. Fame's song also needed a yin to the yang. But where's Yellow Light?

roviet
Song: coinboy - red camo
Genre: cloud rap
Description: pro gamer hardcore gamer thank you coinboy

StarBlim
Song: Frank Ocean - Pink + White
Genre: R&B

Drivers
Charli XCX
Song: LOONA - Colors
Genre: K-Pop
Description: Yup! One of the best Loona tracks from their best OT12 release and is overall atmospheric pop perfection. One of the most unique songs in Kpop for sure and proves how ahead of their time Loona is.

Tenshi
Song: Halsey - Colors
Genre: Pop
Description: Love her or hate her, Halsey did that.

Peary
Song: Travis Scott - Green & Purple (feat. Playboi Carti)
Genre: Trap
Description: Green & purple, got me going in circles

kurwa
Song: Furia - Dzień czarny, noc czarna (black day, black night)
Genre: kurwa metal
Description: you wont understand it anyway

pisxel

when my star shines, will you think of me? ☆
  • PS! Username: pisx ♥♫~!

• Song: Blood, Sweat & Tears - Ava Max
    --
  • Link:
    --
  • Genre: Pop
    --
  • Description: I really enjoy listening to this song mainly because of the vocals and the vibe of the song tbh, and that's it.

• Song: Hello - Allie X
    --
  • Link:
    --
  • Genre: Pop
    --
  • Description: I just be vibing with this song and thats on a period.

Rage

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
RoA Leader
September's Song Recommendations
Theme: Ballads
Owners

Rage

Song: Rush - Entre Nous
Genre: Prog Rock
Description: Off of Permanent Waves, an underrated Rush song imo

Brandon
Song: Kacey Musgraves - Space Cowboy
Genre: Country
Description: I wanted to something a little different for ballads. This song truly does sound like country music in space, but it turns a lot of stereotypical western motifs around with some clever wordplay, and it is a beautiful song about love fading.

Moderators

Celestial

Song: Angel Olsen - Chance
Genre: Alternative
Description: One of the most beautiful and elegant songs of all time, this track serves in so many ways to be the perfect conclusion of the best album of 2019 and arguably Angel's best track. The instrumentation and composition combined with the lyrics and the different ways Angel is able to display her voice all lead this to be a stunning ballet.

MDM
Song: Blind Guardian - The Bard's Song
Genre: Power Metal
Description: Blind Guardian's best ballad

Surgeon
Song: Céline Dion - The Power Of Love
Description: originally a jennifer rush cover, today a Céline classic. speaks for itself.

Mrs Fame
Song: Mariah Carey - One Sweet Day
Genre: R&B
Description: Mariah is the queen of ballads. No one can come close to her catalogue of amazing ballads. This track is so iconic, I’m pretty sure every person alive in the 90s knows this song. Literally nobody touches her level of excellence…ever.

aenima
Song: The Mountain Goats - The Best Ever Death Metal Band in Denton
Genre: singer-songwriter
Description: hail satan

Clouds
Song: Madonna - Frozen
Description: For ballad month I chose my personal favorite of Madonna's and one that revolutionized the scene. You gotta feel it as you listen.

roviet
Song: ween - birthday boy
Genre: noise pop
Description: ween are known for being pretty silly, especially on this album, but they will be more serious on occasions. this is a fairly straight forward pop ballad about getting broken up with, except they distorted it to hell and it sounds really awful. but its still great

StarBlim
Song: Bjork - Oceania

Drivers

Tenshi
Song: Demi Lovato - Anyone
Genre: Pop, Piano Ballad
Description: This was the peak of the Grammys 2020, the emotional delivery from Demi is bar none and she was able to sing the entire song while struggling through tears. Words can hardly do this any justice, Anyone is essentially the gateway to hopefully a much better life for her and she was able to get the world to listen to her for that night. Only deserves the best.

Peary
Song: Denzel Curry - CLOUT COBAIN | CLOUT CO13A1N

ROOM NEWS:

Charli XCX and Lux Prima have both stepped down from active room staff, and LucianParadox , wishes and Dylas are our newest (and returning in some cases) room voices! Congrats!

Last edited:
  • PS! Username:
altforbadthings
  • Song:
The Velvet Underground - Heroin
  • Link:
  • Genre:
Alternative rock
  • Description:
One of the most influential songs of all time from one of the most influential albums. Inspired a shit ton of alternative artist right across the 20th century (including the Sex Pistols, Joy Division, Sonic Youth, Galaxie 500, Spiritualized, Nick Cave, and PJ Harvey) and even some mainstream ones (U2, Talking Heads, even David Bowie lists the Velvet Underground as an influence).

(PS! Username: Ducky Mioda)

My latest recommendations:

BIGBANG - Lies (genre: K-pop)

MOMOLAND - BBoom BBoom (genre: K-pop)

Orange Caramel - My Copycat (genre: K-pop)

Celestial

Turn Heavenward
October's Song Recommendations
Theme: Halloween/Spooky
Owners
Rage
Song: Blind Guardian - Wizard’s Crown
Genre: Speed Metal
Description: A fun song that predates their power metal era, about taking a wizards crown on Halloween

Moderators
Celestial

Song: Evanescence - Haunted
Description: Amy Lee, the greatest female voice in a spooky song: the perfect choice for this month's theme.

MDM
Song: Satan's Host - Black Hilted Knife
Genre: Blackened Heavy/Power Metal
Description: Black hilted knifes. Very spooky

Clouds
Song: Lord Huron - Cursed
Genre: Indie Folk
Description: Lord Huron are underrated kings of folk, and the Strange Trails album as a whole is one you should check out.

aenima
Song: October Country - My Girlfriend Is A Witch
Description: old school song about some witchcraft from you significant other, a place we’ve all been before

roviet
Song: sunn o))) - Big Church [megszentségteleníthetetlenségeskedéseitekért]
genre: drone metal
description: fairly inaccessible musically but its cool and atmospheric

Mrs Fame
Song: Igorrr - Absolute Psalm
Genre: i literally dont fucking know
Description: Amazing track that I think is kinda spooky at the beginning at least. Chills out towards the end.

Drivers
Tenshi
Song: Fatal Frame - She Will Come
Genre: VGM, Ambience
Description: Fatal Frame is to date the only game to genuinely scare me and a large reason for that is its atmospheric creepy ambience, I could've linked pretty much any of them but this one captures the anxiety the music instills while you're playing.

Peary
Song: Future - Monster
Genre: Trap, Hardcore Hip-Hop
Description: I’ma Monster

Last edited:
  • PS! Username: shnashq

• Song: Thunder and Lightning - Ninja Sex Party

• Link:

• Genre: Comedy

• Description: I just wanna introduce people to my favorite band!

Celestial

Turn Heavenward
November's Song Recommendations
Theme: Artist makes something outside of their usual style
Owners
Rage
Song: Ensiferum - Wanderer
Genre: Viking Metal/folk metal
Description: up to this point in their careers an all clean vocal song was unheard of and is pretty good imo

Moderators
Celestial

Song: Angel Olsen & Cass McCombs feat. Bob Weir & Noam Chomsky - Don't (Just) Vote
Description: Angel Olsen doesn't generally dabble into politics in her songs, but this one provides a powerful message about the current political climate in the U.S right now.

MDM
Song: Unlucky Morpheus - Carry on Singing to the Sky
Genre: Power Metal
Description: While they usually do play power metal, Unlucky Morpheus mainly play the typical style you'll find with other Japanese power metal bands. Unlike the vast majority of their discography, Carry on Singing to the Sky was done more so in the style Angra had played on their early albums as a tribute to Andre Matos. It's also their first song entirely in English iirc, with some of the lyrics actually being references to Angra's album Angels Cry too.

Clouds
Song: David Bowie - Blackstar
Genre: Experimental rock & jazz, art rock, folk pop/hip hop elements.. probably more
Description: It's hard to say Bowie is an artist who "crossed genres" when he straight up influenced several different genres, but when looking at where he started out as a pop/rock artist to this track (and most tracks on the album), it's clear it was one of his most experimental works and a great way to put an exclamation point on a legendary career.

aenima
Song: Kyuss - Space Cadet
Genre: Psychedelic
Description: A normally heavy stoner band release an acoustic psych banger with one of the hottest fucking bass lines of all time.

roviet
Song: joyce manor - bride of usher
Genre: jangle pop
Description: most of their other songs are pop punk, but this sounds a lot like the smiths

Peary
Song: Kanye West - Say You Will
Description: Now i'm all sad

Drivers
Tenshi
Song: Lady Gaga - Born This Way
Genre: Country, Pop
Description: Gaga has this amazing talent of regularly rearranging this song in ways that blows the album version completely out of the water. This arrangement in particular really makes me wish she went full country in Joanne instead of just dipping her toe in the water, I want more country Gaga ;-; anyways yeah, this is probably my favorite arrangement of this song, she does country so good. I really wish we got it more often, even Joanne's very acoustic approach only dipped its toe in the country influence a couple of times throughout it.

Lucian Paradox
Song: The Dreadnoughts - Joli rouge
Genre: Sea Shanties, Celtic Rock/Punk
Description: Most of The Dreadnoughts's songs and albums are based around polka, folk and Celtic rock elements. However, this specific album, Into the North, is almost entirely comprised of sea shanties.

wishes
Song: Miley Cyrus – Pablow the Blowfish
Genre: It's a pop ballad.
Description: This is one of Miley's most abstract, raw, and emotional songs. Pablow the Blowfish stands out in Miley's expansive discography because of its unusual lyrics and that it's an acoustic ballad dedicated to one of her late animals, Pablow the blowfish. Miley Cyrus & Her Dead Petz, the album Pablow the Blowfish is from, is also a complete departure from her former Bangerz style. It's my favorite album of Miley's though.

Saiges
Song: Bring Me The Horizon ft. BABYMETAL - Kingslayer
Genre: Alternative Metal
Description: cute and goes so hard, the collab we never knew we needed

Last edited:

Rage

RoA Leader
December's Song Recommendations
Theme: free recs! Holiday recs to come!
Owners

Rage
Song: Tropical Fuck Storm - You Let My Tyres Down
Genre: art pop? Idek
Description: idk what it is, but everything in this song mixes together beautifully for me

Song: Alice in Chains - Sea of Sorrow
Genre: Grunge/Heavy Metal
Description: became a fan of grunge around mid 2014 - early 15, and shortly after discovered Alice in Chains, only recently I started to appreciate Facelift (the album this song is off of) as much as Dirt. I find this particular song to be very catchy

Brandon
Song: Kali Uchis, Rico Nasty - Aquí Yo Mando
Genre: Latin Pop
Description: Kali and Rico was a collab I never knew I needed but I live. Kali's album is so good and I'm 100% hyped for Rico's album.

Moderators

Celestial

Song: Martha Wainwright - Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole
Genre: Folk
Description: A powerful song addressing self-worth.

Starblim
Song: Alice Longyu Gao - I <3 Harajuku ft. Fraxiom
Genre: Hyper Pop
Description: so catchy super fun and an overall BOP

MDM
Song: Matenrou Opera - Curse of Blood
Genre: Symphonic Power Metal/Visual Kei
Description: Good jmetal cheese.

Clouds
Song: Hippo Campus - Bambi
Genre: Alt/Indie
Description: Not the deer tho

aenima
song: parquet courts - freebird II
genre: post punk, indie rock
description: we all just wanna be free like we were promised we'd be.

roviet
song: Alex G - Salt
genre: indie rock
description: this is a demo version of a song he reworked and put out on an album, he had to change some of the lyrics from this because he didn't want his mom to hear them and be sad

Peary
Song: Crystal Castles - Transgender
Genre: Synthpop, Witch House
Description: Crystal Castles says trans rights

OM
Song: Dreamcatcher - Jazz Bar
Genre: Uhh Kpop Jazz Fusion?
Description: Really cute song that's like fuzzy and heartwarming and shit, it hits really well for quarantine

Segmr
Song: J Balvin - Blanco
Genre: Reggaeton
Description: Banger club track from a banger club track king

Drivers

Tenshi
Song: U2 Akiyama - The Lost Emotion (Arranged version)
Genre: Orchestra
Description: Touhou has a vast amount of amazing songs, arrangements, and remixes, but this arrangement by U2 stands out to me as the best arrangement of a song I've heard and easily my favorite from the series. The Lost Emotion was already one of Zun's most emotional pieces and adding amazing string sections makes the emotion of the piece shine through even stronger than the original. It's truly a great piece of music, and a hidden gem of a series that is abundant with amazing music.

Lucian Paradox
Song: Vansire - Metamodernity
Genre: Dream pop
Description: Relaxing song with interesting lyrics

wishes
song: Yung Baby Tate – Flower Girl
genre: sad pop idk
description: really heartfelt song of ybt's ex love finding a new love, and how she feels she should be the one at the altar. showcases how talented of a producer, songwriter, and singer she is. she's just fantastic. check out her album GIRLS Deluxe if you haven't.

ps username- InfinityKnives

song- Hockey Dad-Lull City

genre- Surf Rock

description- Unlike the song title would suggest, it's a very up tempo upbeat surf rock song. You can just head bob and sing a long to the 'oohs'. from their debut EP Dreamin', Seaweed is another popular song off the same EP if you feel like checkin' that out

Rage

RoA Leader
December's Song Recommendations p2: holiday recs! (yes they're late I know)
Theme: The Holidays!
Owners

Rage

Song: Band Aid - Do they Know It's Christmas
Genre: group singing
Description: can't think of christmas without this song imo

Brandon
Song: Carly Rae Jepsen - It's Not Christmas Till Somebody Cries
Description: I think this song captures my emotions around the holidays and how it's honestly more about getting through them in one piece instead of enjoying them.

Pablo
Song: Sia - Snowman
Genre: holiday

Moderators

Celestial

Song: Gwen Stefani - Early Winter
Description: Not a big fan of holiday songs in general, but Gwen is a queen and this song is very solid.(edited)

Starblim
Song: Poppy - I won't be home for Christmas

Wishes
song: Tinashe – God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
genre: chill hip-hop
description: it's tinashemas this year be sure to stream Comfort & Joy out now!

aenima
song: david bowie & bing crosby - peace on earth/little drummer boy
genre: idk christmas carol
description: two legends just singing some christmas classics. nothing much else

Peary
Song: Gucci Mane - Both (feat. Drake)
Description: Hard trap drums over a holiday themed sample, featuring great verses from Gucci Mane & Drake.

OM (g)
Song: Mariah Carey - All I want for christmas is you
Description: I've been listening to this song on loop for an hour+ since november 3rd or something shut up it's christmas what'd you expect

Segmr (g)
Song: Gerard Way - Baby You're A Haunted House
Description: nice little holiday themed love song playing on having to deal with your own internal horror show.

Drivers

RAiHAN KiBANA

Song: Katy Perry - Smile
Description: Yeah, I'm thankful, scratch that baby I'm grateful. I refuse to acknowledge a certain other holiday until the week of it so here's one for my favorite holiday, Thanksgiving, instead. Always good to reflect on what you're thankful for in your life, and to spend time with the people and things you take for granted.

Lucian Paradox
Song: LOONA - The Carol
Genre: K-Pop
Description: Great track

Saiges
song: LOONA/ViVi, Choerry, Yves - The Carol 2.0
genre: k-pop
description: festive and cute redo of a classic loona song :)

Happy new years everyone!

Rage

RoA Leader
January's Song Recommendations!
Theme: best of 2020!
Owners

Rage

Song: Run the Jewels - Walking in the Snow
Genre: Rap
Description: goddamn that mofucka cold

Rage
Song: Touché Amoré - Reminders
Genre: Emo/Hardcore
Description: Brandon and pablo didn't rec so i did another one with of a different genre ;)

Moderators

Celestial

Song: The Weeknd - Save Your Tears
Genre: R&B/Soul

Starblim
Song: Food House - 8 now
Description: not everyone can have iconic and quotable lyrics in every single line on a track but Fraxiom is just on a different level then all of us.

Roviet
song: ichiko aoba - porcelain
genre: folk
description: ichiko's career has mostly been just her and her guitar, but this song and album sees her expand to include some additional instrumentation. the very subtle strings, flute and mallet percussion adds to her usual minimal style without detracting from it at all, with her voice and acoustic guitar still being the focus. i have no idea what shes singing about bc its japanese but its probably really pretty :^)

Wishes
Song: Charli XCX - anthems
Genre: pop/hyperpop
Description: how i'm feeling now was a complete experience in its making (of only 6 weeks!) in 2020 so i wanted to recommend a song from the album. anthems in particular encapsulates a lot of what it feels like to be isolated. one of charli's most high-energy songs as well so definitely deserves the shoutout.

aenima
song: phoebe bridgers - i know the end
genre: indie
description: in a year that constantly felt like the world was fucking dying, this served as a nice punctuation to that feeling. the end is near.

Clouds
Song: Loving - Only She Knows
Genre: Alternative/Indie
Description: This group was a new discovery for me this year, and I'm glad I was introduced to them. Released earlier in the year, their first studio album was a mix of chill, ambient tracks that evoke bittersweet emotions. Mixing of instrumentals is superb throughout the album, particularly this track – one that I've found myself replaying often. In a year full of chaos, these guys bring clarity through peaceful music made for easy listening.

Peary
Song: The Strokes - Brooklyn Bridge To Chorus
Genre: Indie Rock, Post-Punk Revival
Description: The New Abnormal is definitely my favorite project from 2020. It is not only packed with incredible songs but is extremely consistent. The comeback album I definitely did not expect to be so great.

MelodicDeathMetal
Song: The Ocean Collective - Jurassic | Cretaceous
Genre: Progressive Sludge Metal
Description: I may not have an album of the year currently, but holy hell, this track just blows everything else I'd consider out of the water. Phanerozoic II probably won't be my favorite album of the year, and isn't even the best The Ocean album because Pelagial exists, but this is 100% their best song and easily my favorite song of the year.

muei
Song: Tkay Maidza - Grasshopper
Description: I don't have to explain this.

Segmr (g)
Song: Bad Bunny - Safaera
Genre: Reggeaton
Description: Beats on beats on beats, hooks on hooks on hooks, absolutely titanic track in a fantastic album that put Bad Bunny on the absolute top of latin music this year. Safaera's pretty much the biggest example of how far out he's willing to go on a genre that very rarely has experimentation of this kind. The saddest moment of this year for me was the fact that this song never had a true prime for what it's designed for thanks to quarantine.

Drivers

RAiHAN KiBANA

Song: Halsey - Still Learning
Description: Beautiful Stranger came out in December 2019 rip, still the best song of hers though. This year was rough y'all. I've always struggled with self-esteem issues and the first 3/4ths of this year was possibly among the worst I've had to go through and quite honestly I was miserable until a couple of months ago. Manic has been the album that resonates with me the most through the year and is still the album I go back to constantly even as the year is over. It's the most real we've seen Ashley and lyrically I think it's the best we've gotten from her to date as well; Still Learning being among the strongest of the bunch and is one of the very few moments of positivity(backhanded positivity anyways) on the album. Self-hatred is isolating, it makes you feel alone even when you're not really, and that's really hard to deal with, something I struggled to deal with for a long while. For the first time in years I'm finally in a place in my life where I do appreciate myself and this is the first month I've felt genuinely happy in a long time, I can only hope this continues but at the very least I'm still trying and that's why I feel that this song isn't just my favorite that was released in 2020 but the song that most perfectly describes my 2020.

Lucian Paradox
Song: BLACKPINK - Lovesick Girls
Genre: Kpop
Description: While this album wasn't one of my top albums of this year, this is definitely one of my favorite song releases from BP and this year as a whole

Saiges
Song: Phoebe Bridgers - Chinese Satellite
Genre: Indie
Description: lovely lovely song with beautiful instrumental and almost hauntingly emotional vocals. punisher is one of my favorite albums of the year, and this track is such a standout for me. the instrumental builds throughout the song, suffocating you but still giving you room to breathe with the breaks that feature phoebe’s airy, breathy vocals stripped down. overall an amazing and emotional song that’s definitely one of my favorites of the year.

Gota Love Yaoi
Song: the Microphones - Microphones in 2020
Genre: Folk/Drone?
Description: This will be the Microphones in 2020

HoneySweettooth/God's Poet

Song - Masterpiece by KB
Genre - Christian Rap
Description - Whatever Faith or insight you have in the world. Whether you believe in the Creator ( like I ). Mothers eyes. Fathers eyes. You are a masterpiece.

50. Villaelvin - Headroof, Genre: Deconstructed Club

49. Wailin Storms - Rattle Genre: Noise Rock, Death rock. County: USA

48. Grimes - Miss Anthropocene Genre: Art Pop, Electro Pop Country: Canada

47. Four Tet - Sixteen Oceans, Genre: Microhouse, Ambient, County: UK

46. Armand Hammer - Shrines, Genre: Abstract Hip-Hop, East Coast Hip-Hop, Country: USA

45. LOONA - [12:00], Genre: K-Pop, Country: South Korea

44. Gezan - KLUE, Genre: Noise Rock, Art Rock, Experimental. Country: Japan

43. Svalbard - When I die, will I get better?, Genre: Post-Metal,Blackgaze,Screamo, Country: UK

42. A.G. Cook - Apple, Genre: Bubblegum Bass, Electro Pop, Country: UK

41. New Sylveon - Ultra New Era Mutant Driving, Genre: Bubblegum Bass, Cloud Rap, Experimental Hip-Hop, Country: Russia

40. Zebra Katz - Less Is Moor, Genre: Hip-House Country: USA

39. ShrapKnel - ShrapKnel, Genre: Experimental Hip-Hop, East Coast Hip-Hop, Country: USA

38. Boldy James & The Alchemist - The Price of Tea in China, Genre: Gangsta Rap, Country: USA

37. 1 800 PAIN - Best House on a bad block, Genre: Industrial Hip-Hop, Trap Metal. Country: USA

36. Perfume Genius - Set my heart on fire immediately, Genre: Chamber Pop, Art Pop Country: USA

35. Omnipotent youth society - Inside the cable temple, Genre: Art Rock, Progressive Rock, Country: China

34. King Krule - Man Alive!, Genre: Art Rock, Neo- Psychedelia, Country: UK

33. Rubio - Mango Negro, Genre: Art Pop, Electro Pop, Country: Chile

32. Gupi - None, Genre: Bubblegum Bass, Country: USA

31. Pink Siifu x Fly Anakin - Flysiifu's, Genre: Jazz Rap, Abstract Hip-Hop, Country: USA

30. Ramper - Nuestros Mejores Deseos, Genre: Post-Rock, Slowcore, Country: Spain

29. Immortal Onion - XD: Experience Design, Genre: Nu Jazz, Country: Poland

28. Glaive - Cyprus Grove, Genre: Hyper Pop, Pop Rap, Country: USA

27. David Grubbs & Taku Unami - Comet Meta, Genre: Avant-Folk, Ambient, Country: USA & Japan

26. Shygirl - Alias, Genre: Deconstructed Club, UK Bass, Country: UK

25. Open Mike Eagle - Anime Trauma and Divorce, Genre: Abstract Hip-Hop, Country: USA

24. Boris X Merzbow - 2R0I2P0, Genre: Noise Rock,Post-Metal, Country: Japan

23. Amnesia Scanner - Tearless, Genre: Deconstructed Club, Post-Industrial, Country: Germany

22. Desire Marea - Desire, Genre: Deconstructed Club, Art Pop, Country: South Africa

21. Mamaleek - Come & See, Genre: Avant-Garde Metal, Noise Rock, Experimental, Country: USA

20. Lianne La Havas - Lianne La Havas, Genre: Neo-Soul, Singer/Songwriter, Country: UK

19. Rina Sawayama - SAWAYAMA, Genre: Dance-Pop, Country: UK & Japan

18. That Kid - Crush, Genre: Hyper Pop, Bubblegum Bass, Country: USA

17. Deftones - Ohms, Genre: Alt-Metal,Post-Metal, Country: USA

16. Health - DISCO4 PT.1, Genre: Electro-Inudstrial, Post-Industrial, Country: USA

15. Ericdoa - COA, Genre: Hyper Pop, Cloud Rap, Country: USA

14. Bree Runway - 2000and4eva, Genre: Pop Rap,UK Hip-Hop, Electro Pop, Country: UK

13. R.A.P. Ferreira - Purple moonlight pages, Genre: Jazz Rap, Abstract Hip-Hop, Country: USA

12. Yukika - Soul Lady, Genre: K-Pop,City Pop, Country: South Korea

11. Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist - Alfredo, Genre: Gangsta Rap, Country: USA

10. Tkay Maidza - Last year was weird vol.2, Genre: Pop Rap,R&B, Industrial Hip-Hop Country: Zimbabwe & Australia

9. IC3PEAK - До Свидания, Genre: Witch House,Industrial Hip-Hop,Trap Metal, Country: Russia

8. Ichiko Aoba - Windswept Adan, Genre: Chamber Folk,Singer/Songwriter, Country: Japan

7. Arca - Kick I, Genre: Deconstructed Club, Art Pop, Country: Venezuela

6. Charli XCX - How I'm feeling now, Genre: Hyper Pop, Bubblegum Bass, Country: UK

5. Dorian Electra - My Agenda, Genre: Bubblegum Bass, Hyper Pop, Queer Pop, Country: USA

4. Run the Jewels - RTJ4, Genre: Political Hip-Hop, Hardcore Hip-Hop, Country: USA

3. Moor Mother x Billy Woods - Brass, Genre: Abstract Hip-Hop, Experimental Hip-Hop, East Coast Hip-Hop, Country: USA

2. Food House - Food House, Genre: Hyper Pop, Bubblegum Bass, Country: USA

1. Poppy - I Disagree, Genre: Alt-Metal, Pop Metal, Industrial Metal, Country: USA

Last edited:

yonmd

Formerly Yes or no my dude
is a Tiering Contributor
  • PS! Username: yes or no my dude

• Song: Stove God Cooks - Bread of Life
  • Link:
  • Genre: Hip-Hop/rap

• Song: Mac Miller - Blue World
  • Link:
  • Genre: Hip-Hop/rap, R&B

• Song: JPEGMAFIA - BODYGUARD!
  • Link:
  • Genre: R&B, slow jam
If I got the genres wrong tell me bc I don't know genres lmao

Last edited:
Showdown! username: wishes
Song: Grimes - Skin
Genre: ambient, dream pop, experimental
Description: This is Grimes's take on a ballad and she executes it flawlessly. The lyrics are mostly repetition accompanied by dreamy production, and yet the song still manages to pull on your emotions. Definitely one my favorite Grimes songs and, in my opinion, one of her best songs she's released.

Celestial

Turn Heavenward
February's Song Recommendations
Theme: Black Artists
Owners
Rage
Song: RZA - Fighting for Equality feat. Ghostface Killah
Description: RZA and Ghostface of the Wu Tang team up once again, this time in 2020 still fighting for equality

Moderators
Buffy

Song: Tupac - Starin' Through My Rearview
Description: Probably the greatest rap talent of all time in his best song.

MDM
Song: Body Count - Point the Finger feat. Riley Gale (RIP)
Genre: Crossover Thrash/Hardcore Punk
Description: Riley + Ice-T is a really great combo. Not a fan of Ice-T's rap stuff, but Body Count is really good crossover/punk and really showcases the influences he takes from classic 80s thrash metal and punk.

aenima
Song: oliver cheatham - get down saturday night
genre: disco/funk
description: i'm gonna tear up the fucking dance floor dude, check it out - oscar isaac

Muei
Song: Janet Jackson - When I Think Of You
Description: One of my favorite artists of all time, someone who has advocated for equality and fought discrimination throughout her entire career. When I Think Of You is a Janet classic.

Peary
Song: Lil Baby - The Bigger Picture
Genre: Conscious Hip-Hop, Trap
Description: Black Lives Matter

wishes
Song: FKA twigs - daybed
genre: ambient, dream pop, experimental
description: one of the most talented artists of all time, and one of the most beautiful song she's ever released

Lucian Paradox
Song: Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World
Genre - Jazz
Description: A classic song by an amazing trumpeter

Clouds
Song: Saba - LIFE
Genre: Hip-Hop/Jazz Rap
Description: Track from the second studio album of Chicago's Saba, one of my favorite rappers that mixes the two genres that make the perfect storm.

StarBlim
Song: Moor Mother X Billy Woods - Chimney
Genre: Abstract Hip-Hop

Drivers
Tenshi
Song: Stevie Wonder - Pastime Paradise
Genre: Soul, Pop
Description: Amazing song that's meaning still holds very true in modern day as much as it did 50 years ago. We can only grow by looking to the future and create a paradise free from the burdens of the past instead of idealizing the past's unequal ideas of "paradise."

16bit
Song: Mos Def - Brooklyn
Genre: East Coast Hip Hop, Conscious Hip Hop
Description: For Black History month, we should celebrate this masterpiece of a song (and album it comes from!) describing the life and experiences of a black man growing up in New York City. All-time great verses and beats on this track.

Saiges
Song: Jolin Tsai ft. Namie Amuro - I'm Not Yours
Description: legendary collab and music video is fantastic and extravagant

Gota Love Yaoi
Song: MF DOOM - ?
Description: RIP DOOM

Global Staff Recs
Segmr

song: Sech - Otro Trago
genre: Reggaeton
description: songs about getting over breakups are essentially Sech's specialty, and this is one of his best, going from the darker slower ambience at the start to the harder beat the track builds an absolutely insane energy to cut loose with.

In my opinion, it is a tragedy that people my age will likely grow old and pass without ever listening or giving a shot to some of the greatest pieces in classical piano. Many times have I tried to talk to people about it and they wave it off as "boring" or "unexciting". But so far no one has actually sat down, listened, and gave it a genuine review. I hope you understand my frustration. The large amount of exposure to classical music in modern day is through cheesy background music of movies or shows. This is no way to appreciate music or come to a conclusion on it. I wish to introduce to this thread some of the most iconic piano pieces in the history of music to the forefront, while also preseving variety in both composers and style.

Notes:
- Many pieces selected here are short, unless otherwise stated, so you can listen to them all and get an idea before closing out of the video too quickly which is my fear.
- "Op" is short for Opus, used to identify sets of pieces the composer meant to have together. Think of it like a book, with each opus being a new book and each piece within the opus being the chapters of said book.

My PS name is ClassicalPiano.
The genre is all classical piano.

1. piece: Frederic Chopin - Ballade No 4 in F minor
description: We begin with Chopin, who in my opinion is the absolute easiest to start with when trying classical piano. His melodies are distinct and extremely memorable, with textures within pieces that nobody was able to replicate as consistently as he. The Ballade No 4 is no different. I think this Ballade is a great piece to shoot this list off and get everyone in the mood. This one is performed by Zimmerman, winner of the Chopin competition many years ago and an accomplished pianist henceforth. This piece has warranted its own Wikipedia page, for its contribution to music history is undeniable.

2. piece: Frederic Chopin - Op. 10 No. 4 Etude (Torrent)
piece: Chopin - Op 25 No 1 Etude (Aeolian Harp)
piece: Chopin - Op 10 No 3 Etude (Tristesse)
description: These 3 pieces are in etude form, short and sweet (sometimes people complain about the length of some classical pieces), usually meant to work on a pianists' technique. But they are musical gems. The first one, nicknamed Torrent, is infinitely powerful and coursing with energy, and as the name suggests, like a storm. Aeolian Harp is named so because of its resemblance to the sound of an angelic harp, despite it being a solo piano. It is truly heavenly. Lastly, Tristesse, or Farewell in English, is a complete twist on the previous two etudes, being one of the most melancholy yet beautiful melodies ever. It is of a slower tempo than the others. I hope this addresses arguments about classical music all sounding the same. Within the same composer, and the same opus, there is so much to enjoy. Furthermore, if you like these short pieces, I hope you look for his other etudes as well. Butterfly, Waterfall, Winter Wind, Black Keys and Ocean are great places to start.

3. piece: Franz Liszt - Liebestraum No 3
piece: Liszt - Un Sospiro
description: Many of Liszt's greatest works are of extremely high difficulty, so insane and dissonant and crazy that it may dissuade new listeners to this genre. However, Liszt has many pieces that are some of the most transcendental in terms of beauty and emotion. The Liebestraum and Un Sospiro are perfect examples. Liebestraum, Love Song in English, is as romantic as one could presume, with its evocative melody dancing throughout the piece. Un Sospiro, literally translated to "a sigh" is again justly named. It is like the sigh one would take in the most peaceful state of mind possible. His more advanced works are enjoyable too of course, and I do not wish to say that you should not try them at all. His Mephisto Waltz and Mazeppa are my favorites.

4. piece: Franz Schubert - Serenade
piece: Schubert- Drei Klavierstucke
description: Schubert doesn't receive enough love! He is definitely among the top. His Serenade is one of the first pieces to get me into classical piano, as it is so distinct and stunning. Listen to it and you will know what I mean. Drei Klavierstucke is lesser known, and it is longer than anything I have recommended so far. However, it is separated into 3 parts, and each part is completely unique. The second one is particularly my favorite, perhaps of all time. Use the timestamps offered by the video to try it out.

5. piece: Felix Mendelssohn - Songs without Words Op 19 No 1
piece: Felix Mendelssohn - Songs without Words Op 67 No 2
description: Another slightly more obscure composer, his Songs without Words is aptly named, as it conveys the ability of music to convey emotion without ever speaking. His Op 19 No 1 and Op 67 No 2 are the ones that have stood out to me the most over the years, and I hope they will be memorable to you as well.

6. piece: Pyotr Tchaikovsky - Pas de deux
piece: Pyotr Tchaikovsky - June (Barcarolle)
piece: Tchaikovsky - November (Troika)
description: At least almost everyone recognizes Tchaikovsky, which is great. His most famous pieces are that of his Piano Concertos and non-piano orchestral compositions. But there are many that aren't as recognizable that I hope everyone can listen to.The first link, Pas de deux, is from the Nutcracker, and is tragically overshadowed by the Sugar Plum Fairy. I think its better than SPF. The next two links are from his series of 12 pieces called Seasons (though seperated by months smh), which are shorter and offer the best of Tchaikvosky's mind and abilities. Some of them, especially June, you may have heard before. November is personally my favorite, however.

7. piece: Kreisler-Rachmaninoff - Liebesleid
piece: Rachmaninoff - Etude Op 39 No 6 "Little Red Riding Hood"
piece: Rachmaninoff - Rhapsody on Themes of Paganini 18th Variation
description: And who could forget Rachmaninoff, one of the most iconic composers and pianists of 19th-20th century. His most lauded works are his Piano Concertos, which I HIGHLY recommend, but they are of longer length, perhaps great with homework or studying. These three are shorter, but of equal grandeur. Liebesleid was originally composed by Kreisler, but Rachmaninoff transcribed it in his honor, and now its credited to Rachmaninoff far too frequently (oops). But it is a fantastic piece, translating to "Love's Sorrow". Little Red Riding Hood is an etude, and it is much harder than many of Chopin's. Really cool to watch a pianist's hand as they play this piece. His Rhapsody on Themes of Paganini 18th Variation is my favorite out of this three, however. It has an orchestral accompaniment, and it is melodic, smooth, and grand.

8. piece: Mozart - Sonata No 8
piece: Mozart - Sonata No 16
piece: Mozart - Fantasia in D
description: Mozart is actually a relatively hard composer for me to rate, compared to the aforementioned ones. His style is very distict and recognizable, and his role in classical music is overshadowed by no one, but when it comes to his piano pieces have become overplayed or dry compared to what we have now. The revered pianist Glenn Gould once addressed this of Mozart. But here are three of my most favorite of his piano works. Sonata No 8 you can probably recognize immediately. Sonata 16 is basically a rite of passage for new pianists, and is really fun to listen to. Lastly, Fantasia is mysterious and deep.

9. piece: Beethoven - Sonata No 8 "Pathetique"
piece: Beethoven - Sonata No 21 "Waldstein"
description: Beethoven's Sonatas are some of the best in piano repertoire. It is a great shame that Moonlight Sonata is the only one recognized today generally. I have come to dislike how centralizing it has become. Fur Elise too is also a culprit of this phenomena, and I think many pianists can agree here. These two Sonatas are better in my opinion, and so are many others, such as Hammerklavier (the hardest one to play), Appassionata, and Tempest. Pathetique and Waldstein are played both by Barenboim, the undisputed king of Beethoven.

10. piece: Schumann - Arabeske
piece: Schumann - Widmung
description: These two pieces by Schumann are an absolute joy to listen to. Such amazing melodies. If you ever want to relax these are definitely go-to pieces. Nothing more to say.

11. piece: Igor Stravinsky - Petrushka
piece: Sergei Prokofiev - Toccata
description: We go a little bit modern here with Igor Stravinsky and Sergei Prokofiev, whom I consider to be one of the last composers to justify the classical genre. Petrushka is just JAW DROPPING INSANE in terms of technical difficulty. Highly recommend a listen. Toccata is just as virtuistic, and is a very popular piece among top pianists to perform.

12. piece: Maurice Ravel - Pavane for a Dead Princess
description: Peaceful and serene, this piece by Ravel is deep and stellar. Usually his Gaspard de la Nuit takes all the limelight, but this pavane should not be ignored.

13. piece: Bach - Goldberg Variations
description: Played by the master Glenn Gould mentioned in the Mozart passage, this is a series of pieces by Bach built on the theme of a single melody, but with each succession it becomes more complex. It is lengthy, at nearly an hour long, but it is a very important milestone in keyboard.

14 piece: Scarlatti - Sonata in E major
piece: Scarlatti - Sonata in F minor
description: Scarlatti, to be precise, was a composer in the Baroque era, before "classical". But he was so influential in the development of classical as we know it that he should be mentioned. His works are reminiscent of this trend. These two sonatas are elegant, and my favorite.

15 piece: Debussy - la Cathedrale Engloutie
piece: Erik Satie - Je te veux
description: These two composers were of the Impressionist movement, and it isn't entirely correct to lump them into the classical umbrella, but for the sake of simplicity I think it is fair. Debussy famously hated being labeled as an Impressionist. Regardless, his Clair de Lune is recognized globally, and this lesser known piece, The Sunken Cathedral, is just as beautiful and serene. Satie also had a similar musical style, and his Gymnopedies are his peak works. Je te veux, however, is very different from what one would expect from him. Listen to it and see if you agree.

Thank you for listening and reading all I have to offer for now. I know I missed out on A LOT of other amazing pieces, but I would go on for so long if I were to be so persistent. I did no justice to Chopin especially for I completely missed his Mazurkas, Preludes, Waltzes, Sonatas, Scherzos and Piano Concertos. All are so amazing I hope you search for them on YouTube.

I have compiled all of my favorite piano pieces in this YouTube playlist. If I were able to interest you, I hope you check the playlist out and just let it stream while you work on schoolwork or play Pokemon. There are more than 120 and I will add more. Let me know if anything stands out to you!

Last edited:

Rage

RoA Leader
March 2021's Song Recommendations
Theme: songs with Pokemon moves or abilities in the title

Owner
Rage

Song: Judas Priest - Flamethrower
Genre: Heavy Metal
Description: Out of nowhere in 2018 Judas Priest decided to remind the world that they’re still a top tier heavy metal band if they want to be , and while not the best song on the album here it’s catchy and fun , and fits our theme

Moderators
Buffy

Song: Carly Rae Jepsen - Run Away With Me
Description: Not a big fan of CRJ, but this slaps af.

MDM
Song: Omen - Dragon's Breath
Genre: US Power Metal
Description: Omen's Battle Cry is about as legendary as you can get with USPM, one of the most defining albums of the old school 80s power metal sound.

noct
song: queen & david bowie - under pressure
genre: rock, power pop
description: um ba ba be

wishes
Song: Nicki Minaj - Fly (ft. Rihanna)
Genre: rap, pop
Description: I came to win, to fight, to conquer, to thrive. I came to win, to survive, to prosper, to rise. To fly.

Lucian Paradox
Song: Taeyeon - Gravity
Genre: K-pop

roviet
Song: helmet - iron head
Genre: alternative metal

Clouds
Song: Day Wave - Disguise
Genre: Alternative/Indie
Description: Mimikyu (:

StarBlim
Song: Food House - Foresight
Description: Goated closer

Drivers
Raihan Kibana

Song: J.J. Fad - Supersonic
Genre: Hiphop
Description: A sama lama lama lama doo ma nama seema nama -zubat noises-

16bit
Song: Death Grips - Spikes
Genre: Industrial Hip Hop, Glitch Hop
Description: I miss when Pokemon didn't have an item that blocks damage from spikes

Saiges
Song: Bladee - Hex

Gota Love Yaoi
Song: Death Grips - Guillotine
Genre: Industrial Hip Hop
Description: Iconic really and I couldn't think of anything else

Global Staff Recs
Segmr

Song: Ignorantes - Bad Bunny & Sech
Genre: Reggaeton
Description: Ignorante is the spanish name for Unaware, and i'll come up with the rest of this description in a bit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)