The Single Battle Metagame (GBU)

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've recently been rather successful leading with Focus Sash Tyranitar because it gives you the option to strike back with either Crunch/Superpower/Ice Beam/Flamethrower, and chances are with Sand in tact, you're usually in the drivers' seat within the first two turns. Considering you're generally guaranteed to dish out an attack and set up Sand Stream twice (if you opt to switch out!), a Naive nature with max Speed really helps you take advantage of the game.

I tend to carry Thundurus/Excadrill/Garchomp/Kingdra/Scizor with that particular Tyranitar spread. I've been eagar to test competitively viable items to see which items work best with which Pokemon. I continue to adjust each set through means of how I wish to abuse my Life Orb, for example, to its fullest without wishing I dedicated it to a different member of my team.

I always seem to regret selecting one item for another every five battles or so because the GBU metagame has all kinds of threats out there, and it is really difficult to say your team is prepared for the entire world.

Has anyone else seen this set?

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: max HP? / max SpDef?
Nature: Careful (?)
~ Taunt
~ Curse
~ Roost
~ Aerial Ace / Brave Bird

It really caught me off guard one day. I lost due to stupidly letting my Slowbro die, and only having SubSD Garchomp and full physical Tyranitar in the other two slots.

Breed Farfetch'd with Torkoal/Bibarel and get Curse, then breed the Male Farfetch'd offspring with a female Skarmory. The final offspring will get Curse.

I was shocked to find out Farfetch'd can breed with both torkoal and bibarel O.o

Played about 10 GBU battles today. 1 or 2 disconnectors.
I am using this new team ( will post later) that been giving me a lot of success thanks to MixApe lead I am using.

Also another thing that stood out to me was when I was beating this 1000+ win Japanese player on just one move before the match was ending and he loss was he just disconnects. Not as great as beating him completely but still better that disconnectors ;D

An obvious bump. However here is my current team I been using. I found it to be really fun to use. It is highly offensive. but Garchomp is able to weather hits easily on switch it. The first two sets of it I love and are flawless. The third, Garchomp needs work so I would appreciate suggestions on a new set.

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Overheat
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- U-turn

This makes such an awesome lead. Fake out is used helps break sturdy and sashes. I either choose to sweep (which happens a lot) or just U-Turn out. U-Turn goes well because there is a lot of Psychics attacks in GBU I seen. So I just switch in to.....

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Surf

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Atk / 156 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Crunch
- Earthquake

I'd like to share my current team I use at the GBU as well.

Mienshao@Life-Orb
Trait:Regenerator
Nature:Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe

Fake Out
U-Turn
Hi Jump Kick
Stone Edge

Mienshao is my preferred lead, as it can break sashes with fake out,
scout with u-turn and hit really hard with kick and edge.
Regenerator helps with the LO-damage and does well in conjuction
with U-Turn switches.

Metagross@Choice Band
Trait: Clear Body
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Att / 4 Def

Bullet Punch
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Zen Headbutt

CBGross is powerful force, with lots of attack, a stabbed prio move and good
coverage. It can switch easily into most moves aimed at mienshao and get
away relatively unharmed.

Chandelure@Expert Belt
Trait: Flash Fire
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Flamethrower
Shadow Ball
Energy Ball
Substitute

I found sub + 3 attacking moves pretty useful in the GBU, Chandelure often
forces a switch and can safely put a sub up and wreck havoc from behind.

Left the game about 6 months ago because I got too wrapped up in Marvel and SF and my wireless router crapped out. Came back because I finally have a viable wifi spot that I can ladder some. What do I get? Stone Edge misses so a D/C, Lum stops Spore Breloom so a D/C, stop Stallrein with Taunt so a D/C, and then there's all the sweeps that people D/C. Seriously why'd I come back...

I've not done Singles for a long time now... had a lot more fun doing Doubles.
Maybe it's just me but a lot of random pokes are carrying HP Fire. I guess as expected I'm not seeing too many Ferrothorn or Scizor either. I use Scizor and it's to the point I'm almost coming in with one less mon because the most random stuff is OHKOing Scizor now. Took every fiber of my being NOT to D/C on paraflinch Togekiss also...

I'm wondering how the new Genie forms will work on the wi-fi, considering they are exclusive to Back & White 2...

Either they will be banned, or it will be impossible for B&W 2 games to battle B&W games.

From Serebii about B/W 2:

"...new feature of the Random Matchup and Tournaments prevents you from battling for a while if you disconnect on your opponent."

"...new feature of the Random Matchup and Tournaments prevents you from battling for a while if you disconnect on your opponent."
#1 reason I'm getting BW2, really.

EDIT: Actually, not really if the game matches you up against BW1 opponents who don't have that penalty. Does the game match you up against BW1 opponents? 'Cuz that would be annoying if BW2 players got penalized for D/Cing while BW1 opponents do not.

Doth mine eyes deceive me? Hellz yes. About damn time we got something like this. I might get back into pokemon seriously now.

Something else I'd like to see is a kind of "Last trainers played" list on GBU somehow. Like on the website or something. Something that you can see who you played recently and send them a message. Like hate mail for rage quitting. Or a sportsmanlike "GG" or compliments on an awesome game or strategy.

Been a while since I posted... since release of BW here in Japan I think.

Anyway, with BW2, I've been playing alot of random battles now.

The "punishment" for disconnecting is a 1 hr wait time before you can battle again.

Additionally, I'd like to point out that you can now get BP in game for winning random matches.

Don't know if this has been brought up yet. It seems like the Therian forms of the genies will appear as the regular forms of their genie counterparts. Took me by surprise when a Landorus hit me with Intimidate.

I use a sandstorm team in gbu, and its pretty nice, i got 15 wins in, like 1/2 hours of play (including rage quits) 1st, it breaks focus sash. 2nd, Dory ROCKS 3rd, Garchomp ROCKS

My team: TTar
Terakion
Dory
Garchomp
Reuniclus
Ferrothorn

Usually send in TTar, dory, and reuniclus ( Rooneyclus :D).

That basically pwns everybody, TTar as a lead, with crunch / flamethrower / ice beam / stone edge
Reuniclus with life orb Trick room / focus blast / shadow ball / psychic
Dory with swords dance, eq, rock slide, x-sizor and swords dance

And the opponents usually arent very good, saw Marowak / Braviary / Musharna and lots of other WEIRD stuff...

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ha, I both love and hate GBU to death sometimes. Love it because at times I've pulled off some insane wins with things I wasn't ready to expect have work in my favor.

Hate it, because often times some of my losses go to picking the wrong 3 to go into battle with...Not only that but that feeling when I see almost always the same 30 Pokemon in different teams just sort of..kills originality, you know? I mean, I understand why they're ranked higher and why people would use them, but I dunno. Seeing stuff whored out constantly feels like I'm facing the same person over and over again. Also the D/Cs. I'm looking forward to getting Black 2, according to what was posted above about it.

On another note, I love how people can really find some extremely inconvenient sets to use with overly-used Pokemon on GBU. For instance, I once faced a Tyranitar with my Gurdurr. I got in a Bulk Up, I forget what move it had used. The next turn I Drain Punch, only to find it's a sashed TTar with Counter. :\ Stuff like that, lol

Has anyone else seen this set?

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: max HP? / max SpDef?
Nature: Careful (?)
~ Taunt
~ Curse
~ Roost
~ Aerial Ace / Brave Bird

It really caught me off guard one day. I lost due to stupidly letting my Slowbro die, and only having SubSD Garchomp and full physical Tyranitar in the other two slots.
Ah, I remember this guy. He showed up immediately after I made my DD Moxie Salamence forget Fire Blast for Fire Fang.

So has anyone been able to check out how effective that disconnection penalty for B/W2 is? I know the game isn't out in America yet but I figure there may have been some word from people who imported it.

So has anyone been able to check out how effective that disconnection penalty for B/W2 is? I know the game isn't out in America yet but I figure there may have been some word from people who imported it.
http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ho...ct-wifi-tournament-play-and-why-that-matters/

Read the article near the bottom where it mentions black and white 2. And if your too lazy to read I can summarize. If a player dc's both are penalized with a 1hr of no battling, and if a router is reset by someone then the penalty is not even activated (Same with if someone has lousy internet and randomly dc's on accident) (I believe it mentioned in that article, and numerous tests I believe have proven this).

To me, that doesn't sound like it'll help. In a way it could make the ragequitting problem worse. If both players are penalized I can guarantee we're gonna see more rage-quits coming from a notion of "Screw this guy! How dare he beat me! Let me D/C so he can't play for an hour!". Looks like I'm sticking to free mode B/W2.

So I have about a week til it happens, but there's a small unofficial tournament going on at my local game store. 3v3 sets with basic rules. What I'd like to know is, what is a good team I can put together quickly and stomp faces with?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)