The Road to the Black Trainer Card

NOTE: This was originally submitted as a Rate My Team but a helpful admin moved it here. If you guys could critique it and give me tips I would really appreciate it!!
Hello everyone! I have been working with this team for a while now but I am having difficulty getting to exactly where I want with it.
Some background info: In Diamond & Pearl, there are 6 levels of trainer card. The highest level, black, can only be achieved when you have obtained the platinum flag in the underground, completed the national pokédex, become champion, won the highest level of all the super contests, and gotten a streak of 100 victories in the Battle Tower. I have done the first four and am working on the last, but so far I haven't been able to break 70. [note: if a team for the Battle Tower is not allowed here, an admin can feel free to lock this post :) ]
So without further ado, here is my Diamond & Pearl Battle Tower Team:

PinkRanger (Weavile) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Night Slash
- Ice Shard
- Brick Break

Weavile is my lead, and what a lead it is. Weavile can sweep the opposing team about 40–50% of the time and can almost always get off a Swords Dance thanks to its Focus Sash. On some bulkier Pokémon with bad matchups (such as Cresselia), I can get off multiple Swords Dances to basically guarantee victory. Ice Shard is used over Ice Punch since the priority is helpful against opposing priority moves and the occasional faster opponent, such as Electrode. While this Weavile is a great lead, it can have trouble dealing with status conditions and Trick Room can pose a problem for it if the opponent's setter is bulky enough.

Nightlock (Gengar) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Destiny Bond
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

Gengar is almost always sent out second if Weavile faints, since having Salamence in the back allows me to take advantage of Destiny Bond. I usually try to avoid using Focus Blast if I can, since 70 accuracy is not ideal when you're trying to get 100 wins in a row. That being said, Gengar hits hard with all three of its attacking moves and is a great foil to the far-too-common Pokémon that only know Normal, Fighting, and Ground moves in the Battle Tower. However, it can really struggle against faster Pokémon, especially Weavile, which is also problematic for Salamence.

Shire (Salamence) (F) @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast

While Salamence is usually left in the back of my party, I'll sometimes swap it in if my opponent leads with a Steel-type Pokémon that Weavile won't be able to break, such as Steelix or Forretress. The mixed set is super convenient since it means I'm rarely completely walled even if my dedicated Physical or Special attacker goes down. The Dragon Fang is the held item of Choice to help boost power on Dragon Claw and especially Draco Meteor, but I've also considered White Herb and Lum Berry. This Salamence rarely loses, but when it does, it's usually to fast attackers with Ice-type moves, like Weavile or any number of Swift Swim users. After Draco Meteor, it can also have problems with Physical walls if I'm unable to switch out to reset it.

That's my team! I'm hoping that with the advice I get here that I can adapt it enough to finally get that 100-win streak and earn my black trainer card. Thank you for reading!
A note: since this is in Diamond/Pearl, I don't have access to any of the Platinum/HGSS move tutors (though I do have access to the Emerald/FRLG ones), so please keep that in mind when rating my team! Thanks!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)