The race towards 1500 (Gen V RMT)

Hello all! With Gen V in full swing on PO, and the first suspect testing round underway, I am one of many trying to reach that coveted 1500. There are a few mons I’ve thought deserve to be banned from the beginning, and this team is made to abuse some of them. This team has put me around 1200, so I’m looking for any improvements I can get. Without further adieu, here’s the team;

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Trait: Bad Dreams
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Darkrai is pretty much never my lead, but I put him first in the line up, since most people seem to expect him to come out first. The Sub set is amazing, it cripples one mon with Dark Void, Sub on the switch, and I can usually cause some heavy damage with the two coverage moves, taking down another mon or two. Darkrai isn’t exactly frial, either; 70/90/90 means I can usually take a hit if needed for a 2HKO. Darkrai doesn’t really synergize with the team, he kinda functions on his own and is incredibly reliable. I don’t think I’d have to change anything about this.

Roobushin (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge

We all know what this guy is capable of. If you aren’t a bulky ground, psychic, or flying, you’re gonna have trouble with Roobushin. I guess this is the standard set? All I know is it works. Roobushin is usually my late-game sweeper, although he and Darkrai alternate between mid- and late-game. I originally built this team around Roobushin sweeping, so I‘m not likely to change him out for another mon. I chose Stone Edge over Payback in the last slot in an attempt to deal with flying types better, but I haven’t really been able to use it to much effect. Then again, I can’t think of anything Payback would hit harder that I’d actually want to stay in on, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- U-turn
- Superpower

Remember this pain in the ass? Yeah, he’s back for another round. With Dragons and Psychics all over the place, I needed Scizor’s…well…everything. His typing, stats, move pool, ability. He removes the hard-hitting Psychics that get in Roo‘s way, and is a terrific scout. The set-up is obvious. Scizor right now is pretty much my only answer to Deoxys, regardless of form. He also usually has to deal with the Lati’s, since Darkrai and Roo don’t like taking STAB Draco Meteors and Dragon Pulses. Can’t see how I can change this guy out, but if anyone has suggestions, I’m all ears.

Wobbuffet (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Def / 228 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
- Encore
- Tickle

I had never played competitively with Wobb before, so I wasn’t sure what to expect going in. I heard he could take down pretty much anything or set up an enemy for a teammate to walk all over. And they were right. Barring water in the rain/fire in the sun, Wobb can revenge kill pretty much anything. I rarely use Tickle, since I usually prefer to just kill the enemy by locking them into a move, then using counter/mirror coat or switching out immediately if they’re on a set-up move. But every match, Wobb gets his job done. He basically guarantees a kill, and can usually Encore an opponent to take advantage of with someone else. Happy with Wobb’s spot here.

Gigaiasu (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Gigaiasu is usually my lead. I put it there not realizing Custap isn’t allowed in Standard, and I just haven’t moved him. The Taunt/Magic Mirror/Magic Guard are obvious thanks to team preview, in which case I attack right off the bat. He usually does his job of setting up SR, but rarely ends up doing anything beyond that. Gigaiasu is the mon I am most willing to replace, although keeping SR would be best since I kinda have trouble with flyers like Zapdos and Skymin as is.

Borutorosu (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Mischievous Heart
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Focus Blast

I know Boru wasn’t an original member of the team (I think this was a specs Latios…) but he’s been a welcome addition. He provides a much needed Ground immunity, can stop set-up thanks to Mischievous Heart and Taunt, tackles the popular defensive core of Nattorei+Burungeru, and is my answer to dealing with most weather mons. With excelent typing, great speed and special offense, Boru is usually my "oh shit" button and I'm not sure what else to do. He definitely suffers without reliable recovery, but oh well. I like him in here, but I’m always open to suggestions.

Well, that’s the team. I know it doesn’t have very good synergy, but it gets the job done more often than not. It does struggle with stall, notably with Spikes and TSpikes, since most of my team is grounded without a spinner. Rate away, and thanks in advance for any help.

I would replace gigaisu with golem. run exact same set, only have sucker punch over explosion. Explosion doesn't do nearly as much as it did last gen, and priority is much nicer to have. STAB earthquake helps hurt things too.
Payback is usually better than stone edge on Robooshin. It gives you nearly perfect coverage, and lets you kill psychics, many of whom now run psycho shock instead of psychic, meaning you can take their hits much better.
On Wobbufett, i would put destiny bond over tickle.

I would replace gigaisu with golem. run exact same set, only have sucker punch over explosion. Explosion doesn't do nearly as much as it did last gen, and priority is much nicer to have. STAB earthquake helps hurt things too.
Payback is usually better than stone edge on Robooshin. It gives you nearly perfect coverage, and lets you kill psychics, many of whom now run psycho shock instead of psychic, meaning you can take their hits much better.
On Wobbufett, i would put destiny bond over tickle.
Erm... Golem is a joke competatively. Rhyperior outclasses it in every single way. Anyways, Giga is a bit gimmicky and contributes little to a team besides setting up rocks. Try a more solid user than can support the team, like Heatran. Also, your team needs more synergy; what answer do you have to water types, other Fighting types, etc.? Sure, Borotorusu can resist a fighting attack, but you better pray they don't pack Stone Edge and have good prediction, like my Machamp does.

Heatran @ Balloon / Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Sp. Atk
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast / Flamethrower
Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
Roar / Earth Power

Erm... Golem is a joke competatively. Rhyperior outclasses it in every single way. Anyways, Giga is a bit gimmicky and contributes little to a team besides setting up rocks. Try a more solid user than can support the team, like Heatran. Also, your team needs more synergy; what answer do you have to water types, other Fighting types, etc.? Sure, Borotorusu can resist a fighting attack, but you better pray they don't pack Stone Edge and have good prediction, like my Machamp does.

Heatran @ Balloon / Leftovers
252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Sp. Atk
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast / Flamethrower
Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
Roar / Earth Power
Golem is NOT a joke competatively. Not in 5th gen. Rhyperior doesn't outclass it in every way, because Rhyperior does not have Sturdy. Golem does the exact same thing as Gigaisu, only better thanks to sucker punch.
but yeah, heatran would probably be better for this team.

Golem is NOT a joke competatively. Not in 5th gen. Rhyperior doesn't outclass it in every way, because Rhyperior does not have Sturdy. Golem does the exact same thing as Gigaisu, only better thanks to sucker punch.
but yeah, heatran would probably be better for this team.
Rhyperior only got an insanely high attack stat, defence like a brick wall, and solid rock to back it up. Yeah I'd say that golem is outclassed. Plus, gigiasu can does not have a devastating 4x grass and water weakness, making it much harder to kill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)