The Quiet Storm - NU Dedicated Rain Team

Hey everyone, I'm here with my second NU RMT that was based off of Cherub Agent's rain team found in the Rain Featured Playstyle Thread. After reading many of the posts in that thread, I found that Jynx was one of the biggest obstacles for rain teams to face, and after the banning of Jynx and Scolipede, I was determined to create a team abusing said weather, and I have found great success in doing so. Not many teams can stand multiple onslaughts of Rain-boosted STAB Hydro Pumps, and when you factor in the 8 turns of rain Damp Rock provides, the opponent is more than likely going to drown in the Quiet Storm.

Team:

A Closer Look:

Ridículo (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

This thing alone is a reason to run a fully dedicated rain team in my opinion. It's an amazing sweeper under rain, with access to STAB Hydro Pump, which deals major damage to anything that doesn't resist it. It also has Giga Drain, which lets it to take out Seismitoad, meaning my team is free to spam Water attacks for the rest of the battle. I run max Special Attack with a Modest nature and Hydro Pump over Surf, as this allows Ludicolo to nab the 2HKO on Lickilicky, who is an annoyance to this team otherwise. Rain Dance is used so that Ludicolo can function as a back-up rain setter if my other setters are gone.

Dre (Volbeat) (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Rain Dance
- Encore
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Volbeat is my dedicated weather supporter. It's coveted ability Prankster means that I'm nearly guaranteed a full eight turns of rain, which is more than enough for my team to wreak havoc on the opposition. Max investment in HP and Defense optimizes bulk, while a Relaxed nature with 0 Speed IV's gives me the slowest U-Turn possible so as to bring in my sweepers unharmed. Thunder Wave support is very much appreciated in order to cripple opposing Swift Swim abusers, namely Ludicolo. Encore support is also very helpful, as I can use it to lock opposing sweepers into set-up moves and provide Carracosta an opportunity to Shell Smash.

Wendy (Rotom-Fan) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Trick

Rotom-Spin is used as my secondary weather inducer. I did not create this EV spread, but it utilizes a good combination of bulk and power, enabling Rotom to comfortably set up weather and abuse it with a 100% accurate Thunder. Rotom-Spin is the second weather inducer as it deals with most of the bulky water types, bar Seismitoad. It also deals with the less common but always threatening Mantine, which can either stop me from spamming water attacks with Water Absorb or use my own weather against me with Swift Swim. Rotom-Spin can also deal with Grass types thanks to its secondary Flying typing and access to Air Slash. Finally, Volt Switch allows me to bring in sweepers safely. I've changed Rotom's set to a Scarf set as suggested by Brawlfest, and the team now functions very well outside of rain, which gives my team more flexibility in how it functions. Scarf allows to me outspeed base 85's, most notably Sawk, who, as mentioned by Brawl, can OHKO my entire team outside of rain.

Hugh (Skuntank) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 176 SDef / 80 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

Skuntank plays a couple very key roles on this team. First is the obvious ability to trap psychic and ghost types. Gardevoir, with Trace, can copy Swift Swim and tear down my team, and Haunter outspeeds Ludicolo outside of rain and kills it with Sludge Bomb. Skuntank helps alleviate these two problems, and also provides Taunt support as well as priority. Another reason why Skuntank is such an asset to this team is the fact that it absorbs Toxic Spikes, which otherwise puts my sweepers on a timer. Toxic Spikes are also one of the biggest threats to Rain teams, and I knew I'd need an absorber. The set is ripped from the Smogon Analysis page, but I use Lum Berry over black sludge, which means i can switch in on Musharna and Misdreavus without having to fear paralysis or burn. I chose to run Poison Jab over Crunch as well, as this further aids in the removal of pesky Grass types.

Tuga (Carracosta) @ Mystic Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

This Carracosta is the physically attacking Swift Swim abuser on the team. Although most run Solid Rock, I chose Swift Swim as this allows me to switch in on Kangaskhan's Fake Out, outspeed and then KO it with little prior damage. With a Shell Smash boost, Carracosta decimates a majority of the tier, and under rain, hardly anything outspeeds it. I've debated using Life Orb Carracosta, but I very much prefer Mystic Water, as it doesn't hamper the longevity of Costa as much. Being the only physically attacker on the team to abuse rain means in most situations I want to keep this thing at a good amount of HP to take down mons that wall my other team members.

Croaker (Seismitoad) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Mild Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
Seismitoad is another Swift Swim abuser, and he has many important roles on the team. First and foremost is his access to Stealth Rock, which every team needs, especially on a team like this one, where opponents commonly switch in and out to stall rain turns. Second is his movepool. Earthquake allows me to 2HKO Roselia, who can be a problem to the team otherwise. Sludge Bomb allows me to deal with opposing grass types, but mainly Ludicolo. With the given spread Seismitoad can Sludge Bomb an incoming Ludicolo on the switch and proceed to outspeed and 2HKO the offensive variant, provided it's not Timid. The 30% poison chance is great for the uncommon but still threatening Specially Defensive Ludicolo. Hydro Pump is chosen over Surf as it can also 2HKO Lickilicky in rain, which takes some pressure off of Ludicolo. Seismitoad is underrated as a Swift Swim sweeper, and on this team it really shines. Seismitoad was changed to the second rain setter, and, like Rotom-Fan, gives the team flexibility both inside and outside of rain. Sludge Bomb will be missed, but as Brawl stated, the combination of Rotom-Fan, Volbeat, and Skuntank is usually more than enough to take down opposing grass types.

And that's the team! Thanks for taking the time to read this, and I hope you enjoyed my second RMT. Thanks to Cherub Agent for coming up with the majority of the team and for letting me write up this RMT! As always, I'm open to suggestions, so please feel free to rate! (Brawlfest u better be first)

Importable:
Croaker (Seismitoad) @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Dre (Volbeat) (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Rain Dance
- Encore
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Wendy (Rotom-Fan) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Trick

Ridículo (Ludicolo) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Tuga (Carracosta) @ Mystic Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge

Hugh (Skuntank) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 176 SDef / 80 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

Replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5nu-98238270

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5nu-100539610

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5nu-97999411

Last edited:
Jonater

Just got home from Myrtle Beach 4 min ago fuck you I didn't bring my computer. Also no rate is 4 nubs.

Anyways, solid team as always Kanwe . Rain has always been my favorite NU weather, so this is a pretty cool team for me. Looking over the team, I see a couple of issues. You honestly have a solid team under the rain, but I do feel that the team for me at least is a bit too weak without rain. Sawk is a big threat, since once Volbeat goes down and rain is down, it simply OHKO's every mon you have on your team bar none. You cannot even revenge kill it outside of rain, as you have a slow ass Rotom-F, and a weak Sucker Punch + Aqua Jet. Roselia can be a bitch too..

Honestly, Rotom-F is a bad Rain Setter. I would look into changing it into Scarf Rotom Fan, so that you have a pokemon who is reliably speedy outside of rain, can outspeed an OHKO Sawk, and can trick more defensive pokemon such as Roselia or Zweilous a scarf to make them utterly useless.

My next suggestion would be to use Rain Dance SR Seismitoad, since Skuntank, Ice Beam, Rotom, and Volbeat together can take down a range of any Grass types, and RD SR Seismi can provide great support to your team with or without rain, and simply can help you perform better as you can lead with it to get rain up early as well as hazards.

Standard Rain is Standard GG No Re.

Rotom-Fan @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Air Slash
- Trick

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Just wanted to post an update:

I've made the changes Brawlfest suggested and needless to say, the team performs much better. It functions very well both inside and outside of rain, and Seismitoad makes for a great Rain setter. Thanks Brawl!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)