The Next Best Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Similar to HnC's set, but more offensive in its approach:

Uxie @ Fire Gem
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SAtk / 140 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Instead of trying to survive the hit from just Bug-types, this set simply aims to take out the likes of Escavalier, Durant, and Ferroseed quickly before they can attempt to sweep or break down Uxie. Stealth Rock is, well, Stealth Rock. Best move in the game. Psychic is STAB and is needed so Uxie can handle Fighting-types. Giga Drain is primarily for Kabutops, but it's also nice to hit Omastar and Rhydon really hard. HP Fire is the main move though. Steel-types commonly switch-in on Uxie and try to take it out or setup on it. This set takes advantage of this by luring these Steel-types into a false sense of security only to take them out with a Fire Gem-boosted HP Fire. While the more defensive Steel-types can survive the attack (think Ferroseed and Steelix) their lack of recovery will make it impossible for them to recover from the damage caused, thus opening the door to a fellow sweeper that may struggle with these defensive Steel-types. EVs maximize damage output and outspeed Jolly Kabutops (not very common, but it would be a shame if it got the spin off before you take it out with Giga Drain) The rest in HP so you can still tank some hits decently well. You could use Modest if you don't mind being outsped by the likes of Jolly Kabutops and Jolly Gallade.

252 SpA Fire Gem Uxie Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 160 SpD Steelix: 182-216 (51.41 - 61.01%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Fire Gem Uxie Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Ferroseed: 244-288 (83.56 - 98.63%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Fire Gem Uxie Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Escavalier: 304-360 (88.62 - 104.95%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (also OHKOes after it switches into Psychic)
252 SpA Fire Gem Uxie Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Occa Berry Escavalier: 152-180 (44.31 - 52.47%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Fire Gem Uxie Hidden Power Fire vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Klinklang: 182-216 (63.63 - 75.52%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Fire Gem Uxie Hidden Power Fire vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Accelgor: 240-284 (79.47 - 94.03%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Problem with Hidden Power Fire is that only worth for a single turn where you dont know if will be useful because your opponent can switch and then loses the fire gem, just the power of the lure for the rest in your battle. Also Uxie Fire Gem loses in 1 vs 1 against Durant / Occa Berry Escavalier (Durant is faster and HKO after SR while that against Occa Escavalier you cant kill because Occa in a single turn and Megahorn HKO Uxie); this is because I never consider before Fire Gem Uxie. I would to go with Mesprit Ebelt if I really wanna an offensive and lure pixie imo

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, the reason I like Fire Gem more than Tanga Berry to deal with Bug-types is that it also gives you the ability to beat defensive Steel-types while also still being able to check Fighting-types that Uxie typically checks. Even with the defensive spread posted, Uxie can't take much prior damage if it wants to handle the Bug-types that typically come in on it. Escavalier has a small chance to OHKO after SR as it is while Durant does 75% minimum. Basically, if you try to check a Fighting-type beforehand, you're still toast as you won't have enough health to survive. The reason I like Fire Gem is that I don't have to worry about trying to stay in tip-top shape. I just have to worry about taking them out. I can still use Uxie to check Fighting-types and it still isn't a dead giveaway. No Leftovers doesn't mean Fire Gem off the bat. There's Lum Berry that protects Uxie from a crippling status (Toxic and burns) and ChestoRest for a reliable form of recovery. Yes, it's one time use, and yes the opponent might be able to predict it, but I at least don't have to worry about having to survive a hit and keeping Uxie in really good health to complete the KO. Maybe I'm just interpreting it wrong, but that's just how I feel and what I think.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Celever: 0
The Quasar: 0
Laurel: 0
SomeDrunkRockLee: 0
atomicllamas: 2
Hot N Cold: 10
EonX-: 4

And the winner of this round is Hot N Cold's Tanga Berry Lure!

That's it folks! X and Y is already out, and we're headed into Generation 6, which also means, sadly, that this is the last round of The Next Best Thing. It has been a wonderful project, spawning loads of new sets, all archived in the Hall of Fame on page 1. I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed hosting it!

This thread will remain open for a few days until one of the mods decide to lock it. In the meantime, you guys can continue to discuss past sets or talk about the project. If there's popular demand, I might decide to continue with this for a while until Gen 6 stabilizes. But for now, see you.

Clefable @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Brave Nature
- Facade
- Fire Blast
- Cosmic Power
- Softboiled

This Clefable looks totally weird, but in case your team struggles against the big three regenerators in RU (Slowking, Amoonguss and Tangrowth) it is a blast. Toxic Orb allows this set to be an excellent status absorber and to be able to take on Amoonguss 1o1. Boosted Facade does around 40-55 to standard defensive Slowking/Amoonguss(depending on how much def evs they decided to run), when in return they cant hit you at all, especially if you get up one or two cosmic power which you can always set up if they decide to stay in. While the rare 252/252def Slowking can still slack off some damage and start a stall war, you will always get out victorious just by slowly pp stalling slack off pps. Fire Blast is meant for Tangrowth, to which it causes 65-75% (252hp/0spd). When the opposing wall faints or your opponent decides to switch out seeing he cant win this, you often end up having a +2/+2 boost upping a generally powerful facade. For comparison, it does 29-34% to 252/252def Uxie, which is a thing, considering that Uxie is one the bulkiest things around, and not even considering the things Uxie and its likes can do in return.
Despite that, Clefable tends to lure in steel-types trying to abuse the predicted supporting set such as Escavalier(84-99%), Durant(OHKO), Steelix(58-68%) and the rare Ferroseed(78-93% with 252/0def).
In case you got rid of the pokes mentioned above or the opponent does not have them, Clefable is not useless at all. It acts as a great pivot for your team, sponging the weaker attackers of ruand ofc status users and limit the opponents switch-ins by scaring him with a powerful 140bp stab facade.
It also deals with cosmic-power sigiliph, in case it didnt get too many boosts up already. (an alternate strategy for this is to cosmic power up yourself and start hoping for the crit, but thats not very reliable)
Its downsides are not being able to take three hits from hard-hitters, as well a being set up fodder for cm spiritomb and kabutops. Also, a trick-Slowking can cripple it.
All around its a uselful set that can be played differently in each battle, either as a pivot or a bulky set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)