The Next Best Thing...

Y'all realize that Treecko and Brobat tied, hey? For the sake of a tiebreaker, I left it to a coin toss, with Brobat as heads, and Treecko tails. Treecko wins this week. Congratulations! I'll have RT or Koko edit your set into the hall of fame, and have them include a hide tag mentioning Brobat's set too, since it did tie.

Next Pokemon up is Porygon-Z! Have fun with this one!

guys, i play other tiers besides ru
!
still bad at them tho '-'

Porygon-Z @ Lum Berry | Adaptability
Modest | 224 HP / 108 SpA / 176 Spe
Nasty Plot | Agility | Tri Attack | Dark Pulse

So anybody else play RU when this was a thing?
'cuz it was the threat.

This is a bulky variation of the Double Dance Porygon-Z, in short. With Adaptability supplementing PZ's STAB, the necessity for a third coverage move is very low, realistically only hitting Steel-types (with Bronzong being arguably the only consistently "good" one) and specific singular targets, such as Rhyperior and so forth. This makes it a very effectual user of the Double Dance strategy, as PZ is very capable of threatening both defensive and offensive team structures with its powerful attacks, both effectively 2HKOing most SpDef 'mons at +2 (RestTalk 'Lax takes 51% min, whereas Umbreon is taking 54% min, for some key examples) and outpacing and cleaning most offensive teams after some prior damage on inherently bulky 'mons such as Zapdos, Shaymin, etc. However, PZ is naturally rather frail, which is where the added bulk comes in to play; through the use of a hefty investment in bulk (supplemented by Lum Berry), Porygon-Z is capable of finding much more opportunities than it once would against both offensively- and defensively-inclined teams, allowing it to much more effectively fulfill its role. The EV spread reflects this; 224 HP grants PZ the bulk necessary to set alongside a couple key 'mons (see calcs) while keeping chip damage from hazards / hail to a minimum, and 176 Speed EVs allow PZ to outpace neutral Base 80's prior to a boost (basically Modest Chandelure), which by extension means outpacing every conventional Scarf user after an Agility boost. Here are some quick calcs to give some insight to how PZ holds up to some attacks:

252+ Atk Snorlax Return vs. 224 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 219-258 (59.67 - 70.29%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 224 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 270-320 (73.56 - 87.19%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Sucker Punch vs. 224 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 243-289 (66.21 - 78.74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Flygon Outrage vs. 224 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 220-259 (59.94 - 70.57%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Earth Power vs. 224 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 242-285 (65.94 - 77.65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 224 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 250-294 (68.11 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 224 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 270-318 (73.56 - 86.64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 224 HP / 0 SpD Porygon-Z: 271-319 (73.84 - 86.92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Thanks for your time friends n_n

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
First of all i am incredibly surprised that double dance p-z isnt on site already. But here is my set:

Porygon-Z @ Life orb
Trait: Download
Timid Nature
EV's: 252 SpAtk | 252 Spe | 4 HP
- Gravity
- Tri Attack
- Thunder
- Blizzard

If any one knows me well, they'll know that i love gravity, it is the most fun play style. Basically what this set does is set up gravity then annihilate pokes with incredibly strong moves, this is better if you get the spatk boost with download but even if you dont it is still usable. What I like about porygon-z is that it is great at forcing switches, so it is quite easy to set up gravity. What you have to remember about this set, is that it is not a sweeper, it is not a way to beat its common checks, it is a pure wall breaker. You can run modest nature but the speed drop does make a difference. It is also good team support, even if it gets taken down or switched out, gravity will still be up for your other pokes.

I really wish it got reflect type, too bad it doesnt.

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Can we have a few examples of to what thunder and blizzard beat that thunderbolt and ice beam do not? Especially as you can use the gravity turn of set up to just use NP which gives you an even bigger longer lasting power boost to all your moves. Could you clarify if this means this set is only to be used on gravity teams?

Porygon Z @ expertbelt
Trait: download
Modest Nature
Evs: 252spatt/252speed/4hp
-hidden power grass
-psychic/psyshock
-ice beam
-tri attack/thunderbolt
This set is an anti lead set, meant to come in on a hazard setter, and then take them out. The idea is most hazard setters are more defensively bulky, ie any rhyperior, any nidoqueen, quilfish, swampert, gligar etc. Porygon z is there to one shot a lot of hazard setters, it's essentially an anti lead. It will have problems with Bronzong and Azelf/Aerodactyl will get rocks up, however more conventional team mates can cover these hazard setters if you so desire. If you run thunderbolt over tri attack you ohko blastoise at +1, and if you run psychic over psyshock you will always ohko Hitmontop at +1as compared to 56% with psyshock after rocks so you have the added benefit of taking out spinners with correct prediction. If you want to hit Snorlax harder on the switch go with psyshock.

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 168 SAtk / 88 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Tri Attack
- Double-Edge/Return
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

With enough attack EVs to safely 2HKO both Umbreon and Snorlax (and OHKO defensive Roserade), with this set PZ becomes a very effective mixed wall breaker. The EVs are actually tailored to be able to 2HKO Umbreon with Return after Stealth Rocks but then I learned that PZ could learn Double-Edge so I thought I might as well just replace it. With the SAtk boost PZ still manages to score the kills it normally would have on the special side, so really not that much is lost and now its able to get past it's regular counters.

Last edited:
Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 168 SAtk / 88 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Tri Attack
- Double-Edge/Return
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

With enough attack EVs to safely 2HKO both Umbreon and Snorlax (and OHKO defensive Roserade), with this set PZ becomes a very effective mixed wall. The EVs are actually tailored to be able to 2HKO Umbreon with Return after Stealth Rocks but then I learned that PZ could learn Double-Edge so I thought I might as well just replace it. With the SAtk boost PZ still manages to score the kills it normally would have on the special side, so really not that much is lost and now its able to get past it's regular counters.
I really like this set, seems like it'd pair well with Chand.

Crap, dunno what i'll vote during voting. Both kitty mulcher and ptjon7 have excellent sets, i was contemplating mixed double edge porygonz the other day, manly set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)