SS OU The most common ladder team (peaked 2k)

Zeno420

Banned deucer.
First I would like to apologize for the clickbait, I peaked 1,999 with this team and not 2k but close enough right?
22C301A9-E9A6-4883-B534-6C8C562612CF.jpeg

I was planning to post this team after my w4 matchup in jam’s pl instead I utterly got destroyed 6-0, but the problem wasn’t the team rather me playing like an absolute idiot. But obviously the most common archetype at high ladder right now by far is the tspikes + hex spectrier team. I saw the potential of this duo and started using it last week.

Here is the team: https://pokepast.es/360e6033825513eb

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Haze

A good old fashion rocky helmet toxapex, great counter to melmetal if u get the switchin right on their double iron bash. Overall one of the best physical walls in the tier effectively shutting off many of the physical threats. But the main focal point of toxapex on this team is to set up t spikes and spread burns on things you can’t poison namely ferrothorn and melmetal. Never ever let toxapex die off early as there is a high chance u will be facing off against a fellow tspikes + spectrier team in which you will need toxa to get rid of their t spikes.

Buzzwole @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch

With zygarde and KyuB running rampant in the tier along with urshifu a buzzwole is almost a must have if you don’t have a clefable on your team. Similar to my RMT last week buzzwole acts a hard check to zygarde and KyuB’s not running dual wingbeat. As to why it’s in UU, who knows. It’s also completely shuts off rillaboom (no acrobatics), pheromosa, garchomp, and many more. It serves as the 2nd physical back bone of the team helping wall of threats which toxapex can’t handle.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 48 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

A few days back I had zygarde instead of lando but the utility of lando with pivot, intimidate along with knockoff serves the team better as the ground type. The main purpose of lando is to knock off on common switchins such as mandibuzz, moltres and zapdos to get rid of their boots so spectrier can have a better time cleaning up late game. Not to mention a max attack invested equake from lando is no joke and can clean up late game by itself if certain checks are weakened. Try to use lando conservatively and don’t let it get low as it’s your only source of defog and item removal.

Melmetal @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Imo the AV variant of melmetal is much better than band right now. Special attackers like spectrier, lele, fini, koko, and even pult do not want to take a bash to the face OHKOing all except for fini. Superpower can be switch out for earthquake but I find ferrothorn a very big nuisance to this team so it’s very useful. It’s overall just one of the best physical threats in the tier and even walls like toxapex should consider before switching in with the threat of thunder punch and equake.

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock

When in doubt just use blissey. Walls off all specs and scarfed spectrier variants along with 90% of special attackers. I have tried switching out seismic toss for shadow ball and found decent success so blissey doesn’t become set up fodder to sub spectrier. Also another good way to spread status and set up rocks, definitely the premier special tank in the tier. Even at +6 dark pulse from spectrier only does 30-40%. So blissey is definitely the 3rd most important mon on the team. Never let it blissey die off early in any circumstance.

Spectrier @ Leftovers
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Hex
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

Last but not least, the star of the show. Able to sweep at a moments notice but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have many checks. Namely unaware clef, blissey/chansey, mandibuzz, and ttar. But if you successfully get rid of those walls, spectrier sweeping late game is almost guaranteed. Conserve spectrier’s hp and never let it get too low. Hard switchins on mons alrdy statused with spectrier pays off 90% of the time netting you a kill or chip on a mon that walls you.

REPLAYS:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1219288539-vnvd4x0oc3myf5fmpoa09tfzwga9sb5pw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1219272073-khm3bomjwm8w8m31de5l3iaf9drj3abpw

Overview and weaknesses:
This team is spectacular and very easy to use. The main purpose is to spread status and clean up with spectrier. But common checks mentioned before such as ttar, mandibuzz, and sball blissey must be weaken before this is possible. Definitely give it a try and I appreciate any feedback :)
But it does not mean this team has no weaknesses in fact I believe it has a lot now that people r starting to catch on. Breaking through hard stall is extremely hard and specs lele blows right through this team if AV melmetal is chipped down enough which isn’t hard to do. Killing off mons that wall of spectrier also isn’t easy to do as all 3 get means to instant recover (soft boil, roost, rest). Still a great archetype to use and I highly recommend you to try it out! If you have any questions or suggestions I’ll all ears.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)