The Just Assassins [UU Warstory]

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey fellow UU players, welcome to my first warstory. One day I was wandering around aimlessly on CAP, when I saw that Silent Verse was on. I haven’t seen him around in a pretty long time, so I thought that it would be a good idea to challenge him to a quick UU battle. Given the overall stupidness of the ladder this round, this match was one of the best that I’ve had in a while. I hope you enjoy it.

The title is a book that I'm reading for french summer work, and it's kinda cool sounding. and I really can't think of a good title.

My team:

Silent Verse's moves will look like this.
uragg's moves will look like this.
other text will look like this.
Nicknames will be removed.
Scores will be shown after each KO (Silent Verse – uragg).

My comments will be shown like this
Silent Verse's comments will be italicized.

Rules: Evasion Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Sleep Clause, Soul Dew Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Timed Battle

Silent Verse sent out Alto (lvl 100 Ambipom ?).
uragg sent out Kabutops (lvl 100 Kabutops ?).

Ok, so the battle starts with my Kabutops against Silent Verse’s Ambipom. Kabutops matches up rather well with Ambipom, but I can’t avoid the first turn Fake Out. I click Stone Edge just in case Silent Verse has gone retarded and is running a Nasty Pass Ambipom without Fake Out.

My Ambipom comes into play to promptly meet a Kabutops lead. Unfortunately, I don't have much to hit it with, as I run Fake Out / Return / Pursuit / Low Kick and I'm pretty sure Fake Out + Low Kick won't KO. Regardless, I use Fake Out to break its sash (if it has one) and get some free damage on it.

Ambipom used Fake Out.
It's not very effective...
Kabutops lost 21% of its health.
Kabutops flinched!

Ambipom: 100%
Kabutops: 79%

Kabutops takes the hit, and I see that Ambipom holding a Silk Scarf. Here, I go for a Stone Edge because if Ambipom stays in to Taunt me or Lol Kick, I take off about 80% and if it decides to U-turn out I can still get a good hit on the switchin. Anything faster than Kabu will likely be frail and be hit for solid damage and anything slower lets me set up SR.

Now that I've used Fake Out, there's not much else to do except switch to my Physically Defensive Venusaur to take the incoming attack. I don't really want Ambipom to take too much damage at this point in the match since it can be fairly useful later for revenging and weakening things, so looking at my current team, Venusaur would seem like the best option. It can also immediately threaten Kabutops, and will force Kabutops to switch out or sacrifice itself to get up Stealth Rock.
---

Silent Verse switched in Gardenia (lvl 100 Venusaur ?).
Kabutops used Stone Edge.
Kabutops's attack missed!

Venusaur: 100%
Kabutops: 79%

Strangely, Silent Verse decides not to U-turn (or doesn’t have it) and makes the direct switch to Venusaur. Stone Edge misses here, which is really annoying. Not only do I leave Venu, a pretty big threat, in perfect health, but more importantly I don’t get to scout its set. I don’t get to see how defensive it is and I don’t get to see what item it’s running. I run max speed Jolly on Kabutops, but I don’t want to risk a potential speed tie and have a dead Tops with no SR up. So, I go to Arcanine to absorb the grass-type attack. I gamble here that he won’t use Sleep Powder and hope for a free switch.

Not sure how much that miss affects things, but I'm sure Venusaur could've taken the hit. Anyways, I now have the choice of picking between Sludge Bomb, Power Whip and Sleep Powder. Generally, I dislike using Sleep Powder first turn since it's quite easy to telegraph. This might be predicted by the opponent, who can send out their sleep absorber to take the sleep instead. Thus, I'm left with either Sludge Bomb or Power Whip. Since I wouldn't want to risk him getting up Stealth Rock while keeping a fairly healthy Kabutops, I decide to Power Whip. This early in the game, there isn't too much of a drawback to using it anyway, especially as I don't know any other members of his team.
---
uragg: I haven't see you around recently
uragg switched in Arcanine (lvl 100 Arcanine ?).
Arcanine's Intimidate cut Gardenia's attack!
Venusaur used Power Whip.
Venusaur's attack missed!

Arcanine: 100%

I get in Arcanine without any trouble, as Silent Verse decides to go for the kill rather than throw out a Sleep Powder. Power Whip tells me that his Venu is either a SD variant or some sort of rarer mixed or support set. Either way, it’s not going to stay in on Arcanine. I go for the Toxic to hit whatever comes in, hopefully a Milotic or Rhyperior, two very common switchins.

Venusaur Power Whips, only to be met by the beast that is Arcanine. Flare Blitz will easily KO Venusaur if it stays in, so to be safe, I might as well switch in my Milotic. Toxic or Thunder Fang might hurt, but Marvel Scale helps make up for Toxic, and I'm pretty sure Milotic can shrug off Thunder Fang so once again, I make the safest move in switching to Milotic.
---

uragg: you still laddering?
Silent Verse: kinda
Silent Verse: I've been rather busy recently though
Silent Verse switched in MezzoSoprano (lvl 100 Milotic ?).
Arcanine used Toxic.
Milotic was badly poisoned!
Milotic is hurt by poison!
Milotic lost 6% of its health.

Milotic: 94% (badly poisoned)

Silent Verse and I chat a little as the battle continues. I get the Toxic on Milo, which is great. I’m running an extremely bulky Arcanine with 252/252+ in HP/Special Defense that takes less than 50% from Surf, but I want to keep Silent Verse under the impression that Arcanine is a fast and hard hitter for now. Milotic is probably going to use Surf, so I decide to bring in Kabutops and get SR up.

uragg makes a great prediction here and uses Toxic. Toxic is unfortunate, but hopefully Marvel Scale can make up for it. I might as well Surf at this point, as I lack Ice Beam to hit any predicted Grass switch in, and Surf is easily my strongest attack (the Milotic I'm using is Recover / HP Grass / Haze / Surf).
---

uragg switched in Kabutops (lvl 100 Kabutops ?).
Milotic used Surf.
Kabutops lost 56% of its health.
Milotic's leftovers restored its health a little!
Milotic restored 6% of its health.
Milotic’s leftovers will be removed from now on.
Milotic lost 12% of its health.

Milotic: 87% (badly poisoned)
Kabutops: 23%

Well, Kabu takes the hit, and not as well as I thought he would. Oh well, I still get my rocks up. Kabu did his main job, though he did fail to take advantage of a good lead matchup by missing Stone Edge.

uragg sends in his Kabutops to take the Surf, which does a hefty amount, but not enough to knock it out of the match. At this point, there's nothing I can do to stop Stealth Rock from getting up, so I might as well use Surf again to KO his Kabutops. Hopefully I can use Donphan to spin the rocks away later.
---

Kabutops used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Milotic used Surf.
Kabutops lost 23% of its health.
uragg's Kabutops fainted.
(6-5) Silent Verse
Milotic lost 18% of its health.

Milotic: 75% (badly poisoned)
Kabutops: x_x

Kabutops is down, but my Milotic is Toxic'd, Stealth Rock is on my side, and half of my team has been revealed. Stealth Rock isn't going to be so bad I suppose, though it is indeed going to weaken my team a bit. However, I'm much more worried about my Milotic being Toxic'd. With Stealth Rock and Toxic, my Milotic isn't going to be able to take hits as effectively. We'll see how this unfolds.

I send in Sceptile to revenge Milotic. I run a mixed set of Leaf Storm/HP Ice/Earthquake/Rock Slide, and it is a fucking beast. When faced with Milo, I typically use EQ. With a Life Orb boost, EQ hits the probable Venusaur or Registeel switchin for serious damage, 2HKOing offensive Venu with SR down. EQ also nabs any fire types looking to take a Leaf Storm, such as Arcanine or Houndoom
---
uragg switched in Sceptile (lvl 100 Sceptile ?).

Hmm, a Sceptile. My first instinct would be to switch to my Venusaur to take the predicted Grass attack; however, uragg has already seen my Venusaur and might predict my switch to it, prompting him to use Hidden Power Fire/Ice or something. Most Sceptiles from my experience are specially based or SubSeeders, so I think Registeel is a pretty safe switch in at the moment. It would also be nice to get up Stealth Rock at this point.

Silent Verse switched in Baritone (lvl 100 Registeel).
Pointed stones dug into Registeel.
Registeel lost 6% of its health.
Sceptile used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 46% of its health.
Sceptile lost 10% of its health.
Registeel's leftovers restored its health a little!
Registeel restored 6% of its health.
Registeel’s leftovers will be removed from now on.

Registeel: 54%
Sceptile: 90%

Yep, Silent Verse sends in Registeel and gets hit for great damage. I don’t run enough attack on Sceptile to 2HKO Registeel, so I go to Rhyperior to either absorb a Thunder Wave or set up a free Sub as Registeel sets up SR.

Unfortunately, uragg decides to use Earthquake, almost taking off half off my Registeel's health. Suddenly, I recall uragg mentioning Mixed Sceptile or something along the lines as being a great Pokemon to use in the current metagame, and chastise myself for not remembering that beforehand. Based on that, I assume that this Sceptile is mixed, which isn't particularly desirable for me. I suppose at this point switching to Venusaur would be my best option to take the incoming Earthquake.
---

Pointed stones dug into Venusaur.
Venusaur lost 12% of its health.
uragg switched in Rhyperior (lvl 100 Rhyperior ?).
Venusaur's Black Sludge restored a little health!
Venusaur restored 6% of its health.
Venusaur’s Black Sludge will be removed from now on.

Venusaur: 94%
Rhyperior: 100%

Well then. I certainly didn’t expect that. I’m not really sure why Silent Verse wouldn’t keep Registeel in to set up rocks or try to paralyze Sceptile, but no SR is always good. However, I just lost a crapload of momentum as Venusaur has a multitude of options at this point. It can Power Whip to KO Rhyperior, Sleep Powder to incapacitate one of my pokemon, or even toss out a Sludge Bomb for lulz. I think he’s going to go for the sleep here, so I decide to sac my CM Mismagius to sleep. With Registeel and what looks to be a defensive Venu with Power Whip, I’m not going to be sweeping with Missy anytime soon.

uragg seemed to have assumed my Registeel carries Thunder Wave (which it doesn't) and switched to his Rhyperior to absorb it as I switched in Venusaur. I doubt uragg is willing to risk losing his Rhyperior to my Venusaur, so he will likely switch out. Arcanine seems to be his best switch in currently, so a Sleep Powder will cripple it on the switch.
---
uragg switched in Mismagius (lvl 100 Mismagius ?).
Venusaur used Sleep Powder.
Mismagius fell asleep!

Mismagius: 100% (asleep)

Alright, as planned Missy takes the sleep and is out of the match for the moment. With Sleep Clause activated, Arcanine can take on Venu all day. -1 Power Whips and minimal investment Sludge Bombs on max/max+ aren’t going to do much damage at all and I can easily Morning Sun off the damage.

...but uragg switches in his Mismagius instead, probably to take an expected Sludge Bomb. It wasn't the intended target, but crippling Mismagius could help out later in the match. Anyway, I predict uragg will send in his Arcanine now, and with Mismagius crippled, I have almost 0 risks in using Sludge Bomb.
---
Venusaur used Sludge Bomb.
Arcanine lost 24% of its health.
Arcanine's leftovers restored its health a little!
Arcanine restored 6% of its health.
Arcanine’s leftovers will be removed from now on.

Arcanine: 82%

Arcanine eats the hit like a champ and immediately threatens with a powerful Flare Blitz. I’m pretty sure that Milotic is coming in, but it’s still relatively early in the game and I don’t want to take any unnecessary risks in case Silent Verse tries to predict a Sceptile switchin, so I just hit Flare Blitz.

Argh, that Arcanine is ridiculously bulky. Usually, I can do around 30% or so with Sludge Bomb. Seeing as Milotic is already poisoned, and resists Arcanine's main STAB move, there's no reason not to switch to Milotic.
---
Pointed stones dug into Milotic.
Arcanine used Flare Blitz.
Milotic lost 15% of its health.
Arcanine was hit by recoil!
Arcanine lost 5% of its health.

Milotic: 48%
Arcanine: 83%

Milo comes in and takes the Flare Blitz with ease. Milo is getting a little banged up from residual damage, so it’s almost assuredly going to Recover some health here. This gives me a great opportunity to bring in Sceptile to cause some major pain.

Milotic takes Arcanine's Flare Blitz like a champ. However, Milotic is starting to get low on health, so I'd better use Recover. Uragg's most likely going to switch in Sceptile at this point, so Surf won't do much damage anyway.
---
Milotic used Recover.
Milotic restored 50% of its health.

Sceptile: 90%

Ok, I get Sceptile in safely. Here, I basically have a free move to hit something really hard. If Silent Verse brings in Registeel, I’m pretty sure it’ll get 2HKOed by a Leaf Storm followed by an EQ. However, I doubt that he would bring it in again, knowing that I have EQ. I decide to just make the obvious move and Leaf Storm, hoping to scout his team a bit more and hit something hard.

As I thought, uragg sends his Sceptile back into the fray. Since this is definitely either a Physical or Mixed Sceptile, Venusaur is definitely my best option. Hopefully, uragg will try to use his Grass STAB attack or Earthquake instead of something else that might be nasty to my Venusaur.
---
Sceptile used Leaf Storm.
Venusaur lost 16% of its health.
Sceptile's special attack was harshly lowered.

Venusaur: 78%
Sceptile: 80%

That didn’t work out too well, but it isn’t all bad. I finally get a hit on Venusaur, and from that damage roll it looks like Silent Verse is running some sort of physically defensive Saur. Leaf Storm has a base power of 210 and is 4x resisted, which means it ends up at 52.5. If I were to use HP Ice, with a base power of 140, it would do a little less than 3 times what Leaf Storm did, or somewhere around 40-45%. That high of a calc against Venusaur tells me that it’s not very bulky on the special side. Silent Verse’s willingness to bring it in on what he probably thought was SD Sceptile indicates that Venu has a good amount of physical defense. With this information, I know I can come real close to the 2HKO with HP Ice, and I have a good chance of getting it with some double switching. But for now, I have to go back to Arcanine to absorb whatever is coming.

Venusaur comes in and takes the incoming Leaf Storm incredibly well. Noting that uragg will likely switch out his Sceptile in fear of Venusaur's Sludge Bomb, I think I should take advantage of this moment to heal Venusaur a bit by using Leech Seed. It also appears my assumption that this Sceptile was Mixed was correct.
---
Venusaur used Leech Seed.
Arcanine was seeded!
Arcanine's health was sapped by leech seed!
Arcanine lost 12% of its health.
Venusaur regained health!
Venusaur restored 13% of its health.

Venusaur: 97%
Arcanine: 77% (seeded)

Oddly, Venusaur is running Leech Seed in his 4th slot, which I thought would be Synthesis. Not having reliable recovery certainly helps me wear it down more easily. Venu gets healed up, and I know he’s not staying in. I go to Sceptile to hopefully lure back Venu so I can stick it with HP Ice.

That healing will definitely help Venusaur in taking more hits. Even though uragg might switch out his Arcanine to remove Leech Seed, I really don't want to risk losing my Venusaur at this point in the game, so sending out Milotic or Donphan is my safest option. Since the Stealth Rock damage is really starting to annoy me, I shall send out my Donphan to try to spin away the rocks.
---
Silent Verse switched in Tenor (lvl 100 Donphan ?).
Pointed stones dug into Donphan.
Donphan lost 6% of its health.
Donphan's leftovers restored its health a little!
Donphan restored 6% of its health.
Donphan’s leftovers will be removed from now on.

Donphan: 100%
Sceptile: 80%

Ok, so Silent Verse brings in Donphan. He was probably looking to take a weak Flare Blitz and spin away SR, but Sceptile immediately threatens his Donphan. Now, Donphan could be running Ice Shard, but it isn’t going to OHKO me from here and I doubt that he would sacrifice his spinner like this. HP Ice is the move to use here, since even if he stays in Donphan will take a huge hit.

I send out one of my Donphan, only to be met once more by uragg's Sceptile. Donphan is often a crucial part of my team, and I honestly don't want to risk losing it this early in the match, so switching to Venusaur seems like a good option.
---
Sceptile used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Venusaur lost 44% of its health.

Venusaur: 47%
Sceptile: 70%

Awesome, I get a solid hit on Venusaur. Now back to Arcanine since Venu is forced to Sludge Bomb to avoid being KO’d.

This Sceptile is going to be quite troublesome, with it's ability to hit 4/6 if my team SE, and being able to threaten a KO or 2HKO on those 4. Thus, I need to KO this thing soon, lest my team be ravaged more by its strong attacks. I doubt he will stay in, since his Sceptile is a very important tool against my team currently, so he will likely switch out to his Arcanine. However, there is a slight chance that he will stay in, so I decide to use Sludge Bomb.
---
Venusaur used Sludge Bomb.
Arcanine lost 22% of its health.

Venusaur: 53%
Arcanine: 61%

Nice, Venu is now in 2HKO range for HP Ice and also probably EQ followed by HP Ice, so I can use a safer move. At this point, I just want to keep the pressure on Silent Verse without taking too many risks. Thus, I go for the safe Flare Blitz since his team does not appear to have a fire resist other than Milotic, who can be stalled out with Morning Sun and Toxic damage.

Arcanine comes in once again to take Venusaur's weak Sludge Bomb and is able to shrug it off with ease. Arcanine once again threatens to KO Venusaur, so I switching to Donphan seems safe.
---
Donphan lost 33% of its health.
Arcanine lost 10% of its health.

Donphan: 67%
Arcanine: 57%

Donphan is obviously going to either use Rapid Spin or Earthquake here, and Mismagius can handle both.

Donphan is now in, losing only a third of his health to Flare Blitz and threatens to KO Arcanine with Earthquake. He might switch in to Sceptile, so now would be a great time to remove these meddlesome rocks with Rapid Spin. Looking back, I'm actually surprised I made this move, as I usually use Assurance immediately to hit any Ghost switch in.
---
Donphan used Rapid Spin.
It doesn't affect Mismagius...

Donphan: 73%

Mismagius blocks the Spin, but can’t do much since it’s asleep. CB Azumarill is a good switch here to scout his moveset and to take whatever attack may be thrown at Mismagius.

Argh, I completely forgot about his Mismagius. I need to get rid of this thing ASAP, or I'll never be able to unleash Donphan's powerful EQs, so Assurance should deal some excellent damage against it.
---
uragg switched in Azumarill (lvl 100 Azumarill ?).
Donphan used Assurance.
Azumarill lost 20% of its health.

Donphan: 79%
Azumarill: 80%

I find out Donphan is running Assurance, which damages Zuzu a bit. Now, the fact that I’m choice locked forces me into a decision here. I can use Waterfall to KO in case Donphan tries to Spin or get a hit in with EQ, or use Ice Punch to hit Venu, or Double Edge to hit Milotic. Again, I decide to go with the safe move in Waterfall. Venu is already down to around half health, so I figure a Waterfall may even kill it.

uragg reveals his Water component of the Fire-Water-Grass core, who takes Donphan's Assurance like nothing. Not wanting to risk losing Donphan to Azumarill's extremely powerful Waterfall, I must switch out. However, Venusaur's extremely weakened; Milotic won't be able to do much to it either, and will only grant a free switch in to Sceptile. At this moment, I think I can switch to Venusaur, as he should still be able to take a Waterfall with his remaining health and threaten Azumarill (uragg probably doesn't know that I won't outspeed his Azumarill as I run a Relaxed Nature with just enough EVs to outspeed Adamant Rhyperior). From there, I suppose I can use Leech Seed to recover that lost health.
---
Azumarill used Waterfall.
Venusaur lost 30% of its health.

Venusaur: 17%
Azumarill: 80%

Well Venu takes the hit like a champ and I’m in an unfavorable situation. I can’t let Zuzu die, so I have to go to Arcanine to take the probable Power Whip.

Venusaur's really running quite low on health now, so Leech Seed is definitely what I want to use. He'll most likely switch out his Azumarill to his Arcanine, so I should be able to Leech Seed it and get Donphan in safely.
---
Venusaur used Leech Seed.
Arcanine was seeded!
Venusaur regained health!
Venusaur restored 13% of its health.

Venusaur: 36%
Arcanine: 52%

Silent Verse predicts well here and bums some recovery off of Arcanine. I have another free turn here and Arcy is getting a little low on health, so I decide to heal with Morning Sun.

Okay, with Arcanine seeded, I should definitely be able to get Donphan in now. If he attacks, Leech Seed will help shrug it off, if he Toxic's, it might be kinda bad for Donphan but I'm sure it'll be able to deal with it, and if he uses Morning Sun, I get a free switch and recovery, though Arcanine will be back in good shape as well.
---
Arcanine used Morning Sun.
Arcanine restored 48% of its health.
Donphan regained health!
Donphan restored 14% of its health.

Donphan: 93%
Arcanine: 87%

Donphan comes in to Spin again. Missy time.

uragg decides on Morning Sun, which means my Donphan is back in almost pristine condition. Now, should I use Rapid Spin or Assurance? Maybe the thread of Assurance will halt his Mismagius from coming in? I guess I'll use Rapid Spin then, cause Mismagius is asleep so it won't be able to do much to my Donphan even if tries to switch in.
---
Donphan used Rapid Spin.
It doesn't affect Mismagius...

Donphan: 99%

I doubt that Silent Verse will use Assurance again, since Venu is in KO range of Waterfall from Azumarill and Assurance would give me a relatively free entry. I keep Missy in to block a Spin or take an EQ.

Bleh, I really should've used Assurance, seeing as Arcanine was Leech Seeded, so the only real dangerous move he could've used was Toxic. Also, considering Arcanine seems to be excellent against my team currently, it was unlikely that he would stay in. Oh well, looking at his last move with Mismagius, he might switch in his Azumarill again, so using EQ would hit it for some nice damage.
---
Mismagius is fast asleep!
Mismagius makes ground moves miss with Levitate!
Donphan used Earthquake.
Donphan's attack missed!

I outpredict Silent Verse here and I waste a turn of sleep. Mismagius still isn’t going to be sweeping in this match, so I decide to sac it while hoping for an early wakeup so I can get some damage with Shadow Ball.

Argh, uragg is really reading my moves like a book this match. Mismagius is probably not going to awaken this turn, so Assurance will hit it hard, that is, if he doesn't predict my Assurance and switch out.
---
Donphan used Assurance.
It's super effective!
Mismagius lost 68% of its health.
Mismagius's leftovers restored its health a little!
Mismagius restored 6% of its health.
Mismagius’s leftovers will be removed from now on.

Mismagius: 38% (asleep)

I get hit for some damage here, and burn another sleep turn. I just keep hoping for waking up and getting an attack off.

Excellent. Now Mismagius might wake up this turn, so I'll switch to Ambipom to take a Shadow Ball and KO with Pursuit.
---
Silent Verse switched in Alto (lvl 100 Ambipom ?).
Pointed stones dug into Ambipom.
Ambipom lost 12% of its health.

Ambipom: 87%
Mismagius: 44% (asleep)

Silent Verse predicts a Shadow Ball and brings in Ambipom, but I stay asleep so it doesn’t matter. Ambipom probably has either Payback or Pursuit, so I just stay in and scout its set.

Perfect, his Mismagius is now guaranteed to be KO'd.
---
Ambipom used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
Mismagius lost 44% of its health.
uragg's Mismagius fainted.
(6-4) Silent Verse

Ambipom: 87%
Mismagius: x_x

Missy dies, and I send in Rhyperior to combat Ambipom. I run SubPerior, but I can’t use Sub because if he uses Low Kick then I would have wasted 50% of my health. Seeing as Silent Verse has revealed 5 of his 6 pokes, none of whom resist Ground, I think it’s pretty safe to Earthquake here.

YES! YES! With Mismagius down, I can once again use Sleep Powder and Donphan can spam EQ. I'm expecting a switch to Rhyperior though, since most Ambipom have nothing that can really hit Rhyperior hard. If he switches in Rhyperior, I'll send out Donphan, since it's definitely physically defensive enough to take an EQ or Stone Edge.
---
Rhyperior used Earthquake.
Donphan lost 42% of its health.

Donphan: 58%

Silent Verse brings in Donphan, probably to get a Spin off. I can’t block it anymore, but Rhyperior gets a free turn to attack. Even if Donphan EQ’s, Rhyperior is only taking around 40%.

As I thought, he switched in Rhyperior, so I send out Donphan to take its EQ. Stealth Rock is getting excruciatingly annoying now, so it's time to say good riddance to those rocks! Looking back once more, this was probably close to my poorest move of the match, as Stealth Rock wasn't that big of a deal and I definitely could have used the damage on Rhyperior.
---
Rhyperior used Earthquake.
Donphan lost 46% of its health.
Donphan used Rapid Spin.
Donphan blew away the pointed stones!
Rhyperior lost 3% of its health.
Rhyperior's leftovers restored its health a little!
Rhyperior restored 3% of its health.
Rhyperior’s leftovers will be removed from now on.

Donphan: 18%

My SR gets blown away, but not before it has done some serious damage to Silent Verse’s switchins. Donphan is now in KO range, but I really don’t think Silent Verse would sac it that easily. I suspect that Milotic might come in to take the EQ, or maybe if his last unknown is a ground resist/immune that will come in. So, I’ll Sub to scout the switch.

With the rocks gone, I can switch in Mismagius quite easily. He'll probably EQ to finish off Donphan, so Mismagius can take advantage of the opportunity to burn Rhyperior.
---
Silent Verse switched in Mismagius (lvl 100 Mismagius ?).
Rhyperior used Substitute.
Rhyperior lost 25% of its health.
Rhyperior made a substitute!

Mismagius: 100%
Rhyperior 81% (Sub)

Excellent. It turns out his last poke is Mismagius, and I get safely behind a Sub. I get a free turn to shoot a Stone Edge and pray that it doesn’t miss.

Oh no, Substitute. Mismagius will definitely be able to break its Sub with Shadow Ball, but will Mismagius survive a Stone Edge? In the circumstance that I'm in, I'm forced to use Shadow Ball lest I let Rhyperior do more damage to my team.
---
Mismagius used Shadow Ball.
The substitute took damage for Rhyperior!
Rhyperior's substitute faded!
Rhyperior used Stone Edge.
Mismagius lost 98% of its health.
Mismagius's leftovers restored its health a little!
Mismagius restored 6% of its health.
Mismagius’s leftovers will be removed from now on.

Mismagius: 8%
Rhyperior: 87%

Damn, just missed the OHKO by 2%. If only my rocks could’ve stayed up a little longer…but it’s no use worrying about that now. Missy must be reasonably bulky to even have a chance of surviving that attack, so it’s definitely a more defensive and bulkier set. I don’t want Rhyperior to take an unnecessary attack, so I go to Arcanine, who should be able to easily tank a Shadow Ball.

While Mismagius does survive the Stone Edge, it's pretty useless at its current HP. Will o Wisp will certainly help me deal with Rhyperior, so I guess I'll use it. Even if he switches in Arcanine, Mismagius is extremely crippled now, so I'd rather attempt to cripple Rhyperior than do paltry damage with Shadow Ball if Rhyperior happens to stay in.
---
Arcanine's Intimidate cut Mismagius's attack!
Mismagius used Will-o-wisp.
Mismagius's attack missed!

Mismagius: 14%
Arcanine: 93%

That works out quite well, and Arcanine gets in without taking damage. Some unnecessary hax on the WoW miss. I just go for the finish here with Flare Blitz

Arcanine comes in once again to take Will o Wisp. Sadly, Mismagius won't be of much use anymore, so a Shadow Ball will hopefully do some decent damage to Arcanine.
---
Mismagius used Shadow Ball.
Arcanine lost 23% of its health.
Mismagius lost 14% of its health.
Silent Verse's Mismagius fainted.
(5-4) Silent Verse
Arcanine lost 4% of its health.

Mismagius: x_x
Arcanine: 73%

I finally get my first kill, dispatching Mismagius with Flare Blitz. Silent Verse sends in Milotic, whom I can comfortably wall with Arcanine, so I decide to Morning Sun. In hindsight, I definitely should have either attacked or gone to Sceptile here since I wasted a Morning Sun PP on only healing 27%.

My Mismagius is now fainted, and I'm certainly not in a great position. uragg clearly has a good switch in to whatever I send in. However, a plan quickly formulates in my mind. If I can remove uragg's Sceptile, Milotic should have a fairly easy time with the rest of his team. Unfortunately, with Toxic taking its toll on my Milotic, I'll be forced to stall out uragg's Morning Sun PP before I can attempt to use Milotic to win. Noting this, I'll send in my Milotic to hopefully stall out some of Arcanine's PP.
---
Arcanine restored 27% of its health.
Milotic used Surf.
It's super effective!
Arcanine lost 47% of its health.

Arcanine: 59%

I decide to just Toxic stall Milo.

Stalling out PP...
---
Arcanine restored 41% of its health.
Milotic used Surf.
It's super effective!
Arcanine lost 46% of its health.

Milotic: 81% (badly poisoned)
Arcanine: 60%

More stalling.

Stalling out PP...
---
Arcanine restored 39% of its health.

Donphan: 24%

Silent Verse brings in Donphan to ease the poison damage from Milo, and I really should have used Flare Blitz at least one of the last 2 turns since Morning Sun only has 8 PP and Silent Verse has plenty of fodder to stall with. But as they say hindsight is 20/20 and in this battle I have to live with my mistakes. Donphan is in KO range, so I eagerly hit Flare Blitz.

Stalling out PP...
---
A critical hit!
Milotic lost 44% of its health.
Arcanine lost 15% of its health.

Milotic: 37%
Arcanine: 91%

Milo comes back in to take the hit, and I get a crit. Milotic is absolutely going to Recover here, so I bring in Sceptile for free.

Stalling out PP...
---
uragg: sorry
Silent Verse: it's fine
Milotic used Recover.

Milotic: 81%
Sceptile: 70%

I should have EQ’d here. Goddamnit, I really should have. Ambipom isn’t switching in, Donphan is easily dispatched the next turn, and Venusaur and Registeel are both 2HKOed. Well I didn’t think through the situation at all, so I go for the obvious (and stupid) Leaf Storm.

Unfortunately, I have to sacrifice something in order to save my Milotic, as looking at uragg's current team, it's my best hope to win this match. Venusaur's too precious at the moment, as he might be able to deal with uragg's Azumarill and Rhyperior if the need arises. Donphan could potentially help against his Arcanine and Rhyperior, while Ambipom could be great against all of them. So, I'll have to sacrifice my Registeel.
---
Silent Verse switched in Baritone (lvl 100 Registeel).
A critical hit!
Registeel lost 36% of its health.

Registeel: 24%
Sceptile: 60%

I get another (unnecessary) crit, and I prepare to kill Registeel with EQ.

Goodbye Registeel, I'm sad that you didn't get to do much this match, but hopefully your sacrifice will help me prevail over uragg.
---
It's super effective!
Registeel lost 24% of its health.
Silent Verse's Baritone fainted.
(4-4) tied

Registeel: x_x
Sceptile: 50%
---

Silent Verse brings in Ambipom here. It’s going to obviously use Fake Out, so I’ll go to Rhyperior to take it with ease. But wait. First off, Silent Verse already knows I have Rhyperior. Judging from his actions with Ambipom, I’d guess that he has a moveset of Fake Out/Pursuit/Return/Taunt. I know that he’s a good player, and if he lets Rhyperior get in for free, that would let me come within inches of winning the game. Also, having played Silent Verse before, I have a very very strong hunch that he’s going to try to catch me switching out and Pursuit me for the KO. I hope I’m not wrong, since with a Hasty nature Sceptile’s physical defense is pretty piss-poor.

*suspense*

Alright. Now I need to get rid of his Sceptile, seeing as it poses the biggest threat to Milotic. Ambipom should make short work of it, and since he'll probably try to switch to Rhyperior to take an expected Fake Out, he'll be KOed by Pursuit.

Ambipom lost 59% of its health.
Ambipom used Pursuit.
Sceptile lost 31% of its health.

Ambipom: 28%
Sceptile: 9%

FUCK YEAH. I predict right and save my Sceptile from being Pursuited. Even at -2, Leaf Storm still hits Ambipom really hard. Sceptile has 1 more attack in him, and I use EQ since it’s 100% accurate and hits Ambipom or any other switchin for decent damage. Looking back on the roll, I wouldn’t have been KO’d by Pursuit but staying in did earn me another turn of Life Orb recoil.

...asdflkjasdlfkjlasfj. He apparently predicted that I would use Pursuit and stayed in, leaving me with an extremely weakened Ambipom and his Sceptile still alive. I once again don't want to sacrifice my Ambipom, seeing as it could be great death fodder and a great tool against his Azumarill should I manage to keep Ambipom that long, so I'll switch to Venusaur who should definitely be able to take the next hit.
---
Venusaur lost 24% of its health.
Sceptile lost 9% of its health.
uragg's Sceptile fainted.
(4-3) Silent Verse

Venusaur: 18%
Sceptile: x_x

Well Venu comes in to take the Earthquake, and it turns out that it’s running a boatload of Defense EVs, judging from that weak hit. Sceptile bites the dust after a great battle, even though I definitely could have made better use of his talents. I bring in Arcanine to finish off his severely weakened Venu.

Done. Now I'll stall out uragg's Arcanine's Morning Sun PP, sacrificing my death fodder Pokemon when the Toxic damage starts to get too high. Once that's done, I can hopefully deal with his Rhyperior and Azumarill with Milotic.
---
Arcanine used Extremespeed.
A critical hit!
Milotic lost 40% of its health.

Milotic: 41% (badly poisoned)
Arcanine: 97%

I get another crit on Milo, and luckily it doesn’t really affect the match. I really have nothing better to do than to keep wailing on Milo and letting the Toxic damage add up since Rhyperior would just get OHKOed and I don’t want to bring in Azumarill yet since Arcanine handles the rest of Silent Verse’s team very well.

PP stallin'...
---
uragg: meh
Milotic lost 14% of its health.
Milotic used Recover.

Milotic: 71% (badly poisoned)
Arcanine: 98%

Flare Blitz some more.

PP stallin'...
---
Milotic lost 14% of its health.
Milotic used Recover.
Milotic restored 42% of its health.

Milotic: 82% (badly poisoned)
Arcanine: 99%

And again.

Urgh, Toxic's getting a bit too lethal now. I have to switch in either Donphan or Venusaur to die to Arcanine. In the end, it doesn't really matter which one, as both Pokemon are too slow to outspeed any of uragg's last Pokemon, so I choose to sacrifice Venusaur.
---
It's super effective!
Venusaur lost 17% of its health.
Silent Verse's Gardenia fainted.

(3-3) tied

Venusaur: x_x

Silent Verse decides to reset the Toxic damage and sacs Venu. Milo is coming in healthy, but I’m still confident that I can outstall it. I decide to mix it up and use Extremespeed instead of Flare Blitz.

More PP stallin'...
---
Milotic lost 13% of its health.
Milotic used Surf.
It's super effective!
Arcanine lost 48% of its health.

Milotic: 69% (badly poisoned)
Arcanine: 58%

Keep on healing as the Toxic damage adds up.

More PP stallin'...
---
Arcanine restored 42% of its health.
Milotic used Surf.
It's super effective!
Arcanine lost 49% of its health.

Milotic: 63% (badly poisoned)
Arcanine: 57%

Just keep stalling.

More PP stallin'...
---
Arcanine restored 42% of its health.
Milotic used Recover.
Milotic restored 38% of its health.

Milotic: 82% (badly poisoned)

Milo stops to Recover here, so I’m gonna throw out an attack.

Once again, Toxic damage is starting to get lethal. Donphan is now my least useful Pokemon, so it's time to sacrifice it.
---
Donphan lost 24% of its health.
Silent Verse's Tenor fainted.
Arcanine lost 7% of its health.

(2-3) uragg

Donphan: x_x
Arcanine: 99%

I catch Donphan with Flare Blitz and nab the KO, but I’m starting to get a little worried. Morning Sun only has 8 PP, and I’ve been using it rather haphazardly by healing even when I’m not below 50%. I hope I have enough PP left to outstall Milotic…

Time to PP stall again...
---
Milotic used Surf.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Arcanine lost 96% of its health.

Milotic: 69%
Arcanine: 9%

After being on the wrong end of some crits this match, Silent Verse lands one on Arcanine. Luckily for me, the crit doesn’t roll max damage so Arcanine is spared from death. I can only heal and hope that I can stall this out.

PP stallin'...
---
Arcanine restored 50% of its health.
Milotic used Surf.
It's super effective!
Arcanine lost 46% of its health.

Milotic: 63%
Arcanine: 19%

1 more Morning Sun. Come on Arcanine.

PP stallin'...
---

Arcanine restored 50% of its health.
Milotic used Surf.
It's super effective!
Arcanine lost 52% of its health.

Milotic: 51%
Arcanine: 23%

Well this game is really winding down now. I’m all out of PP for Morning Sun, but Milo is really hurting from the Toxic damage adding up. I can only try to get as much damage on Milo before bowing out to Surf. Flare Blitz is a bit more powerful, so I’ll use it here.

PP stallin'...
---

Milotic lost 15% of its health.
Milotic used Recover.
Milotic lost 24% of its health.

Milotic: 68%
Arcanine: 24%

Silent Verse sees that Milo is getting low on health and decides to Recover here, giving Arcanine a temporary reprieve from death. My only choice is to keep smacking it.

Argh, Arcanine still has a ton of HP left. Unfortunately, I can't remember if it still has any Morning Sun PP, so I'll have to sacrifice my Ambipom now. However, if I do, I'll most likely lose against uragg's Azumarill. Looking at my previous moves, I immediately regret sacrificed my Venusaur and Donphan so hastily, when Milotic probably still could've taken a bit more abuse. Oh well, I can't change the past, so now I have to sacrifice Ambipom.
---

Ambipom lost 29% of its health.
Silent Verse's Alto fainted.

(1-3) uragg

Ambipom: x_x
Arcanine: 30%

I take out Ambipom on the sacrifice, and only Milotic remains. The Toxic counter resets for the last time, and I pray that I can muster enough damage to take out this thing. I’m up 3-1, but the score is deceiving because both Arcanine and Rhyperior are gone in one shot. Milotic is sitting at 68%, and I decide to play conservatively and make safe moves to try to get the win here.

Milotic is now my last Pokemon. I'm counting on you Milotic!
---

Milotic used Recover.
Milotic restored 45% of its health.

Milotic: 94%
Arcanine: 36%

Milotic Recovers to full health, and there’s nothing I can do to stop it. Arcanine has one more hit in him and gives Milo his best shot (well not really, since Flare Blitz would’ve done more. Whatever.)

die.
---

Milotic used Surf.
It's super effective!
Arcanine lost 37% of its health.
uragg's Arcanine fainted.

(1-2) uragg

Milotic: 75%
Arcanine: x_x

RIP Arcanine, you did magnificently this match. Arcanine got 4 KOs and stalled out Milotic valiantly before falling because of my failure to conserve Morning Sun’s PP. This thing is such a fucking beast. Now I have to decide whether to send out Rhyperior and Azumarill. I elect to just try to add up the Toxic damage by sacrificing Rhyperior.
---

Milotic used Surf.
It's super effective!
Rhyperior lost 87% of its health.
uragg's Rhyperior fainted.

(1-1) tied

Milotic: 63%
Rhyperior x_x
---
uragg switched in Azumarill (lvl 100 Azumarill ?).

And here we are. The last pokemon. Looking back, I probably should have switched Azumarill in on a Surf to let the Toxic damage add up more, but there’s no use for that now. Both bulky waters are ready to make their last stand, and only one can survive…who will it be?

Okay, will Milotic be able to handle Azumarill while Toxic'd? This Azumarill is likely a CB version, looking at the damage it did to my Venusaur, so it might have Double Edge. If uragg opts to use it, the recoil might put it in the range to be 2HKO'd by Hidden Power Grass. If Milotic can survive the Double Edge and Toxic damage, I will win this.

*suspense*

Milotic used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Azumarill lost 33% of its health.
Azumarill used Double-edge.
Milotic lost 48% of its health.
Azumarill was hit by recoil!
Azumarill lost 16% of its health.
Milotic lost 20% of its health.
Silent Verse's MezzoSoprano fainted.
(0-1) uragg
Milotic: x_x
Azumarill: 31%

uragg wins!
uragg: gg
Silent Verse: gg

Whew. GG Silent Verse, it was fun playing you again and I expected no less from such a worthy opponent. With some better predictions and less judicious use of obvious moves, the endgame might not have been so tight for me.

GG uragg, this was a fun match that constantly kept me wondering whether or not I made the right move.

uragg's Props and Slops

Props
- Arcanine for being a fucking tank.
- Sceptile for being a fucking wrecking ball
- Hax for not being much of a factor at all
- Silent Verse for being a great opponent
Slops
- Mismagius not doing anything (well, 2 blocked spins)
- Making some pretty bad mistakes such as Leaf Storming with Sceptile instead of EQing and using Morning Sun when I didn’t use the whole 50%

Silent Verse's team:

Silent Verse's Props + Slops

-uragg's Arcanine and Sceptile, the former being able to whether numerous attacks throughout the match and greatly weakening my Milotic with Toxic, the latter weakened my team substantially and constantly forced me to try to play around it.
-My Milotic, for taking hits until the very end.
-uragg, for putting up such a great fight!

Slops

-Registeel, for doing nothing at all this match.
-A couple of bad plays on my part (my use of Donphan, switching out Milotic too early during the stall war at the end, etc).

Comment and rate! This is only my first warstory, so try not to be too harsh =).

EDIT: now with dual commentary from Silent Verse! enjoy!

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
This was an interesting warstory to read. Hax mattered very little, the mistakes don't stand out and are even more understandable when you're facing someone like Silent Verse, who has such a stallish team. I did get the slight impression, however, that you pretty much just "played around him" and had the game under control the entire time, mainly because of your good predictions and the slight advantage of having Specially Defensive Arcanine. With that said it was an overall pretty good read =)

hmm I definitely remember watching this battle between you two since I remember Leaf Storm -> EQ KO on Registeel, Pursuit on Sceptile, Stone Edge not killing Mismagius, etc. at the time I remembered thinking you two both played pretty well, so it's nice to see this written up as a warstory. I also agree with Bluewind; the mistakes didn't make the warstory any worse and if anything made it better since you found them and accurately explained why they weren't optimal plays. it also looks like you had the game under control most of the match, but I guess it's hard to just take risks and hope they pay off when you're using a team like SV's. 5 stars from me!

uragg

is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! you both made an interesting observation, that I had the game under control for most of the match. I definitely felt that way as well while battling, even though the score at the end was kind of tight. I kind of played more conservatively than I usually would since I did have a good team matchup and because I had an advantage for almost the entire match.

also whistle the only person I remember watching was one 'sircumsalot'. lol was that you?

no it is not, lol. I remember watching this on SU (ladder I think) and not CAP as well... I mean it could be a different battle but the chances of those three moves all happening are pretty low. also I remember the Assurance/EQ biz with Mismagius too!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
That was a great warstory.

I especially liked your comments (explained thought process) and your playing was pretty good too. It did seem like you had control over the match, but Silent Verse was making a comeback in the later stages of the match, and seemed pretty close.

8.5/10

Also, what a blast from the past.

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
Great warstory! You explained very well your thought-process which made it very easy to follow your steps. Althugh you had the battle under control most of the time SilentVerse made a nice comeback with some smart switching/sacrificing. Good stuff!

Milotic is so damn durable - if only that Milotic would have been an Resttalkvariant that match could have gone easily into another direction.

That was definitley an excellent warstory. You and your opponent had spots with great prediction, but you had more of them. I love the set on Sceptile, I use that too on one of my teams, it catches so many people by suprise. The mistakes were there, but weren't glaringly big. Overall a very good warstory, hope to see more from you.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I agree that you seemed to be in control for most of the match; however, in a one-narrator warstory there will almost always be a natural tendency for it to seem that way since only one player is explaining his thought process. Regardless, the commentary was very good, and I enjoyed reading this.

uragg

is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks guys!

whistle: that is...really odd O.o. maybe it was another battle that had almost exactly the same moves lol.

Silent Verse was kind enough to write up comments showing his side of the battle, and I added them into the OP. Enjoy!

edit: whistle I figured it out. I posted the log of this in qc for the arcanine set. lol that's probably where you saw it.

Very nice warstory, the match was exciting and the comments were insightful. This stands out as one of the better ones I've seen in a while.

Also A+ to uragg for running Mixed Sceptile, which quickly became one of my favorite UU mons ever since I put one on a team.

Nice warstory! I will have to agree that the stall parts were boring, but I liked the dual commentary! 9.5/10

By the way, is it just me, or are there more great warstories popping up than before?

Great warstory, although I must say Milotic deserves more props because it was the only thing walling Rhyperior and Azumarill and Arcanine and pretty much the whole of your team except Sceptile and the sleeping Mismagius LOL! It's like everything else is just fodder and Milotic performed a one-man show at walling and sweeping.

Impressive game, and well commented.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was kind of lulled out of interest after seeing your team from the start, and the ensuing battle didn't enthrall me. Standard UUs usually make for standard battles. I think it'd be a bit more beneficial for people to leave their teams hidden so that every twist and turn in the warstory is a surprise.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Though the teams were sort of similar and standard, I enjoyed the double commentary and the amount of good predictions present in this match. Definitely one great warstory.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That was pretty good, although some bits were lost a bit of excitement (Arcanine Toxic Stalling). 8.5/10

uragg

is a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the rates and kind words guys, I really appreciate it.

Mixtile is certainly a very dangerous threat with the ability to hit almost every poke in the tier for major damage, I encourage you guys to try it out!

Re: boring stall parts. For the toxic/pp stalling parts, would it be a good idea in the future to make the font smaller and tell the reader that he/she can skip over that part? any feedback to improve my warstory writing skills is appreciated.

sjcrew: well, without information it would be more like just reading a log, no?

In the early portion of the log, you switch up the order of the comments, and it confused me for a bit (to be fair, I was trying to put a toddler down for a nap while reading). Great warstory, though, and the comments were insightful and well-done. I love dual-commentary stories.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This was certainly written very well, and it was a great battle.

However... the ending was never really in doubt. You were in control for most of the game, and once Milotic was the last pokemon standing against CB Azumarill AND Rhyperior, it never had a chance.

But you did make some excellent predictions, especially with the Pursuit on Sceptile thing.

4/5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)