The Dark Horse Project: Little Cup Edition! (Month three!)

not necessarily, but at the very least explanations for how the team works and why you made your choices. you don't need to put incredible amounts of work into it, but enough to make it useful.

More explanation on how the team works together / how games go (did you actually play yet? if not, you can show your team off later!) and a little bit more depth I guess but besides that looks good to me!

I don't mean to add work to this project if people want to contribute, but we always learn the most from Dark Horse when people are willing to explain! I'm not trying to ask for much--just enough to make this a valuable endeavor.

i ll start playing with this team now and i ll post some stuff about it later when i know how it works

Pokemon Showdown Username: Tunkon
Dark Horse Pokemon: Aron, Drifloon, Exeggcute
Screenshot of Ladder: NA
Full Team Importable:
Dwebble @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Spd / 236 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- X-Scissor
- Protect

Aron @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 196 Atk / 196 Def / 116 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Facade

Elekid @ Eviolite
Ability: Static
EVs: 236 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Volt Switch
- Ice Punch
- Quick Attack
- Protect

Drifloon @ Red Card
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 196 Spd / 196 Atk / 116 HP
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Haze
- Will-O-Wisp

Exeggcute @ Oran Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 196 Def / 160 SDef / 116 HP / 36 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Block
- Leech Seed

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 196 SAtk / 236 Spd / 76 SDef
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

I put most of my thought into my Dark Horses, Aron, Drifloon, and Exeggcute. Aron with the Sturdy/Berry Juice combo gives me a hard counter to BD Swirlix, along with a lot of defensive bulk. Roar also effectively counters ALL substitute stallers and stat-boosted sweepers. Drifloon was a little tougher, but the set on him maximizes the potential sweeping power of unburden as well as giving him a little more of a support role with the inclustion of haze. Knock off is also an excellent move against the ghost- and psychic-types that he may encounter. Exeggcute was a challenge, to be honest. His Grass typing and great defense gives me an out versus most physical sweepers like Mienfoo, but he matches bad with his psychic typing versus the dominating dark types/offtypes, like pawniard and scraggy. If I can set up on their support, he can wall quite effectively. Dwebble is my go-to for a surprise lead sweeper without shell smashing, and it catches people off guard when I OHKO their leads off the good coverage in Rock Blast and X-Scissor. Elekid is my revenge killer, and a quite good one, too. Staryu is a new mon for me, but after playing with it, it turned out to be a good one. Amazing type coverage and Natural Cure allows me to outpredict most teams, and its high speed allows it to hit many off-sweepers like Gligar and Buizel to nab the KO before they do.

Last edited:
Also, to add on to what blarajan said, if i see a trend on the hall of fame where pokemon are being successfully used on the ladder and peaking high scores and they are dark horses, i'm going to start posting them on the main post with some explanations for viability and uses. This may help encourage what blarajan is saying, how we need to find some of the jewels in the sand that work very well on teams, but just aren't getting the attention they deserve.

By the way, congrats on atomicllamas on making it to the hall of fame!

Ok, final thing. I decided that since the goal of this is to find dark horses that deserve more usage, I am not putting a score nerf on pokemon that have already been on the hall of fame. For example, Atomicllamas just peaked on the ladder with a silver rank using a corphish, houndor, and koffing. Since he used corphish, i would normally only give him 2 points and just not give him the extra point for using 3 dark horses, but thanks to this new rule he will get 3 points. I am doing this to encourage the use of dark horses that need more testing to see if they really seal the deal as an all around useful pokemon. That also doesn't mean i want to see 14 people use corphish for this challenge now. I still want some diversity, i want to find some underrated pokemon that can be useful on teams. I don't want to see 46 foongus on the hall of fame. Keep it interesting. If i see 46 foongus on the hall of fame, i will put the rule back in action

Last edited:
Ashley, I would like to restart this challenge, as I have failed rather miserably to dent the ladder in any way. If I may I would like to begin again on a new alt please.

USE THE EDIT BUTTON DONT DOUBLE POST. Besides for that, you can restart the challenge any time, you don't have to ask. Just change your sign up thing. n_n it is ok to do your team analysis after the challenge. Make sure you do though.

Double posting cuz this computer has a filter that's blocking the 1st page. Too lazy to stand up
Got to 1944 rating with this OK team.

Pokemon Showdown Username: hihim (Hēi Hēi Mǎ)
Dark Horse Pokemon: Shellos, Tailow
Screenshot of Ladder: http://files.myfrogbag.com/0clr6j/untitled2.PNG
Full Team Importable: 34.4% usage total i think?
Shellos @ Eviolite
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 228 HP / 212 Def / 20 SDef / 48 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Toxic

Archen @ Eviolite
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 236 HP / 156 Def / 76 SDef / 40 Spd
Impish Nature
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

Ponyta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 128 HP / 156 Def / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Taillow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 156 Atk / 196 SAtk / 156 Spd
Rash Nature
- Boomburst
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 240 Def / 144 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Spore
- Stun Spore
- Sludge Bomb

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 156 SDef
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Shellos

• My first Dark 'un. Sticky Hold lets it take Knock Offs from things like Mienfoo, Gligar, Timburr, Pawniard, etc. Toxic lets it cripple opposing walls, Scalds for the stab and burn, Earth Powers for hitting things like Tirt, Mag, and Pawn, and Recover should be obvious. Was pretty good, nothing amazing. Decent bulk and just an average bulky mon for absorbing a few hits. 7/10 usefulness.
Archen
  • My Gligar and Murkrow check, and my Defogger. Extremely reliable at defogging, and really great mon for walling flying types and Bunnelby. Knock Off came in handy, helping to weaken the enemy team and stuff. Not that bulky, but it's typing is unique and really makes it a niche pick.
Ponyta
  • One of THE most reliable ways to deal with Meditite. I invested heavily into physical bulk, putting 0 EVs into attack. Investing more into attack when you have recoil moves isn't as valuable as investing into HP. So hence the Ponyta that can swap into any move on Meditite except like LO Drain Punch. WoW's 85% accuracy is great, allowing it to outspeed and cripple most physical attackers. Stab Flare Blitz hurts like hell even with 0 investment. Very reliable and the best fire type in the tier IMO.
Tailow
  • My 2nd Dark Horse pick. Scarf lets it revenge any +0 poke in the tier. Boomburst and Brave Bird let it hit hard against almost everything in the tier except for a few things like Mag and Pawn. U Turn lets it pick up momentum, and Quick Attack is there for a few clutch revenges and mindgames like against Sucker Punches and +2 Tirts with 1 HP left. Boomburst 2HKOs most things that don't resist it, and is an extremely consistent move that lets Scarf Tailow revenge like no other. Extremely useful pick. 8/10
Foongus
  • A member of my regen core. My Swirlix, Chinchou, Corphish, etc check, Sporer, Spore absorber, and general wall. Very standard set, not much else to say. Synergizes well with Archen and Ponyta.
Mienfoo
  • Mienfoo is the keystone to this team, providing slow U Turns to gain momentum, consistent Knock Offs, tanking Knock Offs that Shellos can't, and being a great support in general. Stone Edge gets it some surprise kills on things like Larvesta and hurt Vullabys.
Overall Thoughts
Stall teams are definitely still viable. I know I had Tailow, but this team is 5/6th stall. The only issue I had was dealing with things like Swirlix and Volt Turning. If this wasn't Dark Horse, I would've gotten a Chinchou over Shellos to provide a Volt stopper. Swirlix was troublesome to deal with since I was heavily relying on Foongus to deal with it, meaning I had to keep it healthy 100% of the time. Stall is definitely more difficult to use as games last longer and its sometime difficult to take down certain walls. Some changes I would make in order to improve this team would be to maybe replace Archen with Gligar and replace Shellos with Chinchou. Chinchou would cover flying types and Gligar would still be able to do damage when he's below 50% hp, and has overall higher stats. Decent team, could be better though.

Pokemon Showdown Username: aaamber8828
Dark Horse Pokemon: Charmander, Oddish, Bulbasaur, Archen
Screenshot of Ladder Ranking:
Full Team Importable (in hide tags please):

Charmander (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 48 HP / 12 Def / 200 SAtk / 236 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Ancient Power
- Dragon Pulse

ohkos everything and revenges stuff

Vulpix (F) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 212 HP / 116 Def / 156 SDef
Bold Nature
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

sets up sun, burns stuff

Bulbasaur (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 240 SAtk / 240 Spd
Modest Nature
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

sets up growth, kills stuff, eviolite lets it switch in on water moves or whatever, giga drain means it lives forever

Oddish (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 240 SAtk / 200 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 HP / 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Sleep Powder
- SolarBeam
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

breaks shit, sleeps whatever it can't break, lures in bulbasaur checks and sleeps them

Pawniard (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 76 HP / 156 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brick Break
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

knocks off eviolites, resists literally everything, brick break is for pawniard because i can't touch it with most of my team

Archen @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 HP / 104 Atk / 80 Def / 4 SAtk / 76 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Rock Slide
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

beats gligar and murkrow, defogs stuff

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Out of curiosity, why do you require below 35% usage? If the intent is to find Pokemon that aren't used but do great in the current meta, it is likely they'll be able to shine even more when paired with some of the best Pokemon (for example, you would be hardpressed to use any of the top SR setters and still remain below 35% usage with a balanced team). Obviously someone could just build a team of 5 solid pokes + magikarp and probably still do well on the ladder, but that's why you provide logs to prove that it is indeed your dark horse / horses that is putting in work. So yeah just wondering why this requirement I've never heard of / heard justification for is in place basically!

You make a good point. I mainly used this rule for like you said, to make it a challenge and not just let people go and use a magikarp + the top usage threats to win in the challenge. I mean, I can try to change the challenge this way, but I really don't want someone to use a team like that just to seem good at this challenge. I will try it though. I agree, i would rather see the dark horses having more success with the proper support rather than second class support because of this rule. As of right now i will allow you all to use whatever you want with your two dark horses, but I don't want people to start spamming Magikarp+Swirlix, Gligar, Pawniard, and Murkrow. I want to see the dark horses actually doing something.

Also congratulations Wobbyble for making it on the hall of fame! Using scarf boomburst taillow <3 i wish i could give bonus points for that

I'll give it a shot I guess :)

Pokemon Showdown Username: Graypls
Dark Horse Pokemon: Piplup, Archen, Cranidos, Houndour, Corphish
Screenshot of Ladder Ranking: N/A
Full Team Importable:
Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SAtk / 76 SDef / 12 Spd
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 92 Atk / 188 Def / 228 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed

Cranidos @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 236 Atk / 60 SAtk / 132 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt

Archen @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 SDef / 36 Atk / 236 Def
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Defog
- Roost
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Houndour @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SAtk / 236 Spd
Naive Nature
IVs: 1 HP
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Destiny Bond

Corphish @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 196 Atk / 156 SDef / 80 Def / 12 HP
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall

Initial plan:
  • Piplup stood out as one of the few defoggers not weak to Stealth Rocks, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
  • Piplup hasn't been doing it for me, not enough bulk or damage. Switching to Archen. Better answer to Gligar too.
  • Cranidos is my favourite scarf 'mon since Bri showed me a good set for him. The set I'm using is going to be modified though, as I want to try other stuff out.
  • Houndour is because I want to try him with set Llama's used as it seems like a fun set.
  • Corphish because I needed a different setup sweeper and he makes a complete FWG as well as getting some better priority onto the team.
I'll update stuff once I do some more testing.
  1. Big Missy/Gligar weakness :( Archen in for Piplup, going to try and see if I can make Houndour work to hold Missy off on its own. If not then I'm not sure where to cut stuff first.
  2. Too many rock types and wanted a different setup sweeper, Corphish hits a lot of the things that I wanted Tyrunt to hit but has better typing for my team.

Last edited:
OMG ziggs is great actually zigzagoon bulky with belly drum berry juice is amazing I know it sounds like swirlix but ONE BIG difference it gets.....EX...TREME....SPEED that's riso it could even be better than swirlix.Axew has great attack and can ohko a berry juice gligar. Those two are my dark horses I wanted corphish sort of but everyone was using it.So here's the rest of my team.Swirlix,GligarCarvanha and ,Meditite

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, Ashley11 the ladder has changed and doesn't use either ACRE or Glicko2 anymore, and GXE seems to be lower overall due to the match making connotations, it may make sense to come up with a win-loss ratio and Battle # requirement instead, as it is hard to figure out what is "good" in this system (imo). Otherwise I think Glicko1 is a lot less volatile then ELO but IDK your project your decisions.

dcae

plaza athénée
is a defending SCL Championis a Past SCL Champion
I back atomicllamas' idea of using a win loss record for this dark horse, because new ladder system makes it impossible to ladder up to that region. A win ratio of 6-1 for gold, 5-1 for silver, and 4-1 for bronze appeals to me, with a minimum game of ~20-30 games.

Ok, I will edit the post with the new changes. I am changing it to the ratio dcae said, but you need 25 matches. I know 6 and 4 arent divisible by 25, i will go by decimals and round up and down. Sorry i didnt update sooner, I have been really busy beating the crap out of people and eating cake.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)