The Dark Horse Project: Little Cup Edition! (Month three!)

shamelessly stolen from the Doubles Version version; art by ToxicPhox

Hello Little Cup! Those of you who've been here a while might remember the Dark Horse Project that Birkal hosted in OU a long time ago; well I'm here to port it to Little Cup. There are a couple good reasons to participate in this project. First, participating will help us test the new Pokemon that this generation brought us. Second, participating will bring up the usage of some criminally underused Pokemon to help balance out all the noobs spamming Caterpie. Third, if you succeed your run of the Dark Horse project, you'll get a nice reward (Leaderboard points Idk, maybe you will get some other cool reward but dont get your hopes up)!

The rules of the project are as follows:
  • You must choose two Pokemon on the list of usage stats (found , at least for now) that have had less than 3.41% usage in the previous month.Yes, that means pretty much LC UU.
  • You must build a team with them (don't just steal an RMT that happened to have both).
  • You must post here stating the two Dark Horse Pokemon you were using and the fresh alt you are going to ladder under.
  • After that, you have the entire month to bring said fresh alt up to a point where you can be a Dark Horse champion!
  • Once you've achieved this, edit your registration post with a screencap of your ranking to be added to the Hall of Fame.
  • Every month, the Hall of Fame will be preserved, but a new Dark Horse challenge will start, so you can pick another couple Pokemon that you want to use and score leaderboard points again!
  • Note you can't get in the Hall of Fame with the same Dark Horse Pokemon multiple times (though the rest of your team can be recycled if you so wish).
  • Discussions of your Dark Horses are greatly encouraged. Post here with commentary, findings, teams, strategies, etc.—anything to do with the Dark Horse you've been using and what you've learned from it!
Questions like these make me warm and fuzzy inside:
Were any of your Dark Horses very useful for your teams, did they do there job correctly and then some?

Did you have any challenges in your way for creating a team out of not so common pokemon? Any key roles for a team that weren't covered by underrated threats?

Rate your dark horses from 1-10. How useful were they? Would you use this pokemon again? Why?

These questions aren't necessary, but they make me very happy :> so its reccomended
IMPORTANT THING: For the sake of this thread being useful, I would like you to explain the Pokemon you've chosen. When you build a team, explain the processes behind the team and the options you chose. Give us a breakdown of your matches, whether things were successful, etc. The true merit of the Dark Horse project is to show off forgotten threats in order to discover niche Pokemon that deserve usage. Please explain to us why the Pokemon you've chosen are good. This is not a reccomendation. This is a requirement.

GOALS HAVE CHANGED
There will be three ranks in the hall of fame.
C rank is going to be having at least 25 battles with a GXE of 70 or higher. B rank is getting at least 25 battles with a GXE of 76 or higher. A rank is getting at least 25 battles with a GXE of 82 or higher.

Hall of Fame:

A Rank:
AthleteAndy1 got a GXE of 83 and went 23-2 using Zigzagoon and Magby
ZoroarkForever got a GXE of 82 and went 23-2 using Snubbull and Trubbish
B Rank:

C Rank:'
The Avalanches got a GXE of 71 and went 18-7 using Phantump, Snubbull and Surskit
Kiba Roserade got a GXE of 70 and went 18-6-2 using Karrablast and Mareep
Acestriker19 used Finneon Magby and Trubbish

Registered Dark Horses and Alts:

list (open)
Key: This means you completed challenge with A rank
This means you challenge with B rank

This Means you completed challenge with C rank

Ashley11 (Who is Ashley): Vulpix and taillow
TCR (Amaura is cute): Amaura and Surskit

Kiba Roserade (Kiba do dark horse): Karrablast and Mareep
HollowRidley (Dr.RocketPotato): Joltik, Meowth, and Nosepass
The Avalanches (The Horsealanches):Phantump, Snubbull and Surskit
ZoroarkForever (swagplay can die):Trubbish and Snubbull
Athleteandy1 (Andyisacoolguy): Zigzagoon and Magby
Acestriker19(Acefishthing1): Finneon, Magby and Trubbish

A registration form looks like this:
Pokemon Showdown Username:
Dark Horse Pokemon:
Screenshot of Ladder Ranking:
Full Team Importable (in hide tags please):

Obviously these things will not be all filled out when you first register. That is because you should keep updating the same registration post, instead of making new update posts​

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/official-smogon-university-simulator-statistics-—-february-2014.3501320/#post-5283002

Useful Dark horses to consider

Made Hall of Fame 3 times
It is now successfully become noticed and isn't a dark horse. It is a LC OU pokemon now!
Corphish has turned out to be quite the powerhouse for a dark horse. With the ability Adaptability, Corphish can fire away 2X STAB Aquajets and Crab Hammers thanks that ability. With 80 base attack Corphish is no slouch either without water type stab even, as it has access to moves such as Crunch, and Superpower. Corphish has two great boosting moves in Swords Dance and Dragon Dance as well, making it quite the sweeper. Thanks to gen 6, Corphish gained access to the move switcheroo, so now Corphish can even run a great Choice Band set, firing away Crab Hammers, Aqua Jets, and crippling walls with Switcheroo. Next time you build a team, Corphish is definitely an option to consider.

Is is now successfully become noticed and isn't a dark horse. It is a LC OU pokemon now!
Averages 7.67/10 as a team member

Koffing has proved to be a very good physical wall this gen. With access to will o wisp, pain split, clear smog, and toxic spikes, it has many ways to support the team and hold its own against offensive pokemon. Thanks to the ability Levitate, Koffing can wall gligar quite well and pretty much every other fighting type except meditite. Koffing has access to the move flamethrower, allowing it to muscle through steel types that may try to switch in. Koffing can also counter swirlix very well, the scariest little cotton candy in the world. Koffing will definitely not let you down as a tank, supporter, and a team member.

Made Hall of Fame 2 times
Averages 8/10 as a team member

Karrablast may seem like an odd one to be up here, but it is quite the hidden gem to use on the right teams. Karrablast hits like a truck. With no guard and megahorn, karrablast now successfully hits all the time with megahorn with its great attack. It also has access to Drill Run and knock off, two great moves in terms of coverage and utility. It also gets Poison Jab, a great way to stop spritzee. When equipped with a choice band karrablast is a monster, one hit ko'ing a bunch of the tier, while one hit ko'ing pawniard after 2 layers of spikes. Karrablast is quite the threat right now, and will become much better after the gligar ban (if it happens).

Made hall of fame 4 times
Averages 9/10 as a team member

Wynaut is a great pokemon to use not for its walling capabilities or sweeping possiibilities, but for its niche set, and its only set. This thing is seriously a moody punching bag, where you can take out meditite, gligar, magnemite, mienfoo, timburr, etc. All you have to do is switch in and take a hit, then counter or mirror coat. It can trap and kill multiple things to help your sweeper sweep. It is the #1 answer to meditite too. You can encore shell smashers, swords dancers, and slack off slowpokes, and that can really help your sweeper set up. Wynaut is a great utility pokemon to use on teams, and I always would look at this when you need a reliable way to kill something like gligar or meditite for your sweeper.

Made hall of fame 2 times
Averages 8/10 as a team member

Shellos is a great wall to use on your team. It can easiliy counter gligar and can spread burn everywhere with Scald. It has reliable recovery in recover and great defenses to make use of eviolite. It has the ability sticky hold so it can hold on to its item from knock offs. Shellos is a great wall to consider on your team, especially if you're having gligar problems.

Averages 8.33/10 as a team member

Lickitung is a great wall like shellos, but with different assets to make it different. It has access to great coverage moves, wish, heal bell, dragon tail, toxic, and body slam, giving it an amazing movepool. Its defenses are even better than its movepool with 90/75/75 defenses. It can tank pretty much any hit sent to it if it isnt a fighting type attack, and can then retaliate with a coverage move, body slam (paralyisis chance), or toxic. It could even support the team by wish recovery. The only reason Lickitung isn't used all of the time is because of the presence of spritzee. Spritzee may have a better typing than lickitung, but you still shouldn't look over Lickitung, as it has Dragon Tail , bigger wishes, and a ghost type immunity.

Made Hall of Fame 2 times
Averages 9/10 as a team member

Nosepass is a very unique pokemon in the metagame, being one of the very few rock types to have access to a switching move, allowing nosepass to be a successful bulky pivot. Nosepass has a surprisingly immense movepool, with access to volt switch, fire punch, ice punch, stealth rock, power gem, and more. It has great bulk and access to the ability sturdy to have that second lifeline when needed, and it can always get stealth rock up thanks to this (unless meditite is there, or mienfoo). Nosepass is definitely a very good choice for a bulky pivot on your team, and is one of the few that sets up stealth rock in the process.

Averages 9.33/10 as a team member

Zigzagoon is the very first sweeper to make it up here on the notable dark horses (besides corphish, but its not dark horse now), and it is definitely well deserved. With access to extremespeed and belly drum, and the item berry juice being released, Zigzagoon has found its one trick pony set, the belly drum extremespeed sweeper. Once zigzagoon has belly drummed not much can take it on. Thanks to extremespeed's +2 priority it outpaces EVERYTHING in LC except ghost types. Some very bulky pokemon can still take on zigzagoon after +6, but not many. Once they are gone and out of the way, Zigzagoon can sweep. Some notable support options for zigzagoon are knock off users, as they allow zigzagoon to get more ko's, can entry hazards. Once these are both up, nothing is going to stop zigzagoon when played correctly.

Made hall of fame 4 times
Averages 7.5/10 as a team member
While trubbish used to be a piece of trash (haha, so punny!), it is now a gem in the junkyard (OMG the puns!). Thanks to the ability sticky hold, trubbish's movepool, and pretty good stats, trubbish has found itself a great role as a knock off absorber/tank. It can take hits from pawniard and proceed to ohko it with drain punch, it counters all fighting types bar meditite, and it can survive even the strongest attacks like murkrow's brave bird and proceed to ko them with the needed move (in this case rock blast). Trubbish also gets access to both spikes and toxic spikes, making this pokemon the needed glue your team may need.
LEADERBOARD
1. ZoroarkForever~12 Points
2. Unitard~9 Points
3. Corporal Levi~6 Points
3. Athleteandy1~6 Points
4. Corkscrew~5 Points
5. Artemis Fowl~4 Points
6. Atomicllamas~3 Points
6. Shaymin :D~3 Points
6. SevenSins~3 Points
7.Acestriker19~2.5 Points
8. Ashley11~2 Points
8.MysteriousVincent~2 points
8. Nebbachadnezzar~2 points
9. The Avalanches~1.5 Points
10. Mylo Xyloto~1 Point
10. Wobbyble~1 Point
10. Kiba Roserade~1 Point
10. Adam Lambert~1 Point

OUR THEME SONG!!! Rawr

Hall of Fame Archive
December:
A Rank
ZoroarkForever with 2214: Corphish, Karrablast, and Omanyte
Corporal Levi with 23:3 win loss ratio: Koffing, Lileep, Corphish
B Rank
Atomicllamas with 2019: Corphish, Houndor, and Koffing
Corkscrew with 21-4 win loss ratio: Wynaut, Pancham, Poliwag, Magby, and Zigzagoon
C Rank
Wobbyble with 1944: Shellos and Taillow
Mylo Xyloto with 1903: Swinub and Lickitung

January:
A Rank
Unitard with 39-9 and a GXE of 82 used Lickitung, Frillish, Grimer, Machop, Zigzagoon, and Aron
Athleteandy1 with 32-7-1 and a GXE of 82 used Wynaut and Dratini
B Rank
Zoroark Forever with 24-3 and a GXE of 80 used Lickitung Shellos and Growlithe
Artemis Fowl with a GXE of 79 used Inkay, Cubone, Pancham, Trubbish
Ashley11 with 21-4 and a GXE of 77 used Karrablast and Wynaut
SevinSins With 21-7 and a GXE of 77 used Helioptile, Koffing, and Riolu
MysteriousVincent with 23-5 and a GXE of 76 used Meowth and Numel
Nebachadnezzar with 20-5 and a GXE of 76 used Helioptile and Bulbasaur
C Rank
Darkamber3826 with 20-5 and a GXE of 73 used Charmander and Petlil
Acestriker19 with 19-7 and a GXE of 70 used Mantyke and Nosepass
Adam Lambert used Meowth and Wynaut​

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Pokemon Showdown Username: DeerlingSlays
Dark Horse Pokemon: Skorupi, Deerling

Last edited:
Pokemon Showdown Username: LilligantMaster (Alt, when I create it, will be BlorbedGourgeist)
Dark Horse Pokemon: Pumpkaboo and Tentacool (Assuming neither of those are banned)

Spinarak @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 Def / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Archen @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 76 HP / 40 Atk / 236 Def / 156 SDef
Careful Nature
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Rock Slide
- Defog

Torchic @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 36 SAtk / 40 SDef
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Tentacool @ Berry Juice
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 36 SAtk / 40 Spd
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off

Pumpkaboo-Super @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 228 Atk / 44 Def / 236 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Shadow Sneak
- Substitute
- Rock Slide

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Healer
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SAtk / 76 SDef / 12 Spd
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Thinking about it, all of my members are Dark Horses besides Torchic and Spritzee I believe. And I checked, the total of usage for these mons is 21%.

Initial Thoughts:

Pumpkaboo was actually not really that bad. It does have a lot of bulk going for it (It survived a DST Clamperl Surf, as well as Flying-types moves from Murkrow. It has a lot of power too. So overall, an 8/10.

Tentacool was a bit mixed for me, I will probably change the item to Eviolite, cause it dies a bit too quickly. But it does have power going for it. Around a 6/10. But overall, these mons did help me through certain situations.

Also, it was difficult to find a lower ranked mon on the ladder. Torchic was merely choosen as my Fire-type, and it did its job well. Spinirak and Archen were also pretty good. Spritzee I just need to work my skills on, but I heard it's good.

Last edited:
Pokemon Showdown Username: AngryAshley11
Dark Horse Pokemon: Deerling, Eevee, and Drifloon (Yes i have gone insane)

Last edited:
Pokemon Showdown Username: Mnemesis
Dark Horse Pokemon: Purrloin (<3 cat), Fongus

Pokemon Showdown Username: 400 Lux
Dark Horse Pokemon: Lickitung, Swinub

Full Team Importable:
Gastly (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 200 Spd / 200 SAtk / 108 SDef
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Destiny Bond
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Swinub (F) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 196 Atk / 196 Def / 116 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Spear

Croagunk (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 212 HP / 28 Atk / 36 Def / 108 SAtk / 116 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Drain Punch
- Vacuum Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off

Chinchou (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 52 Def / 228 SAtk / 220 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Spritzee (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SAtk / 76 SDef / 12 Spd
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish

Lickitung (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 236 SDef
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Body Slam

Looking at the team it was build around Lickitung. I add Spritzee to take care of Licki's annoying Fighting weakness, it also forms a pretty cool and effective defensive core. I added Croagunk to take on Steel and Poison types that pester Spritzee. Chinchou was my chose as a scarfer as it can revenge kill most smashers. It also surprises Gligar with Ice Beam. Swinub provides a cool way to revenge Flying types like Gligar and Murkrow. Gastly was also thrown in as a wallbreaker and can be useful way to control setup sweepers. It can also KO Swirlix. Looking at threats Belly Drum Swirlix pose a dangerous threat. Gastly is most likely to be replaced for an answer to Swirlix.

I would rate Lickitung a with deserved 8/10. It has a cool niche as a wall that can threaten with Knock Off or a para from Body Slam. It also provide Wish Support which is awesome. Oblivious makes it immune to Taunt which can come in handy. Lickitung tanks about any hit and can cripple the opponent.

I would rate Swinub a 6/10 as its only niche is the ability to revenge popular Flying-types with Ice Shard. Although it has a cool STAB combo, Swinub lacks the needed stats to pose an immediate threat to most teams. Its typing also leaves it weak to common offensive types like Fighting-, Water- and Grass-types. In my matches with Swinub it provide little to the teams success as it was mainly used as fodder.

I'll try to ladder with the team again later. Also can we start over with new alts and mons

Last edited:
EDIT: jk fuck helioptile I'm using foongus
Pokemon Showdown Username: Kappaturn
Dark Horse Pokemon: Meowth, Foongus
upload_2014-1-15_0-13-12.png
(had issues)
Meowth @ Normal Gem
Ability: Technician
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Covet
- U-turn
- Thief

Slowpoke @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 36 SAtk / 116 SDef
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Psychic

Foongus @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 44 HP / 76 Def / 76 SAtk / 236 SDef / 76 Spd
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Stun Spore
- Giga Drain

Scraggy @ Eviolite
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SDef / 212 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Drain Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Spritzee @ Eviolite
EVs: 212 HP / 116 Def / 12 SAtk / 156 SDef / 12 Spd
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect

Ponyta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 236 Def / 76 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Will-O-Wisp

Meowth: Honestly Meowth wasn't THAT bad, but its very limited bulk and lack of resistances made it very difficult to switch in often and thus limited its usefulness. It's not as bulky as the likes of other 19 speed hitters like Missy or Gligar so relying on a speed tie was often too risky a move. It was good at picking off weakened sturdy mons, breaking sturdy, and hitting leads hard with fake out (which hits really hard). 5/10, very distinctly average, and probably made this team a lot worse than it could have been. Pawniard would be better here I think.

Foongus: Not much to say about Foongus other than the fact that it has a lot of problems with doing much damage after it was switched in, but was a reliable staller alongside slowpoke and ponyta to form a FWG core. 7/10 because it has issues after it gets knocked off and can't form any offensive presence

Slowpoke: Slowpoke walls typical threats and is the second Regenerator 'mon of my FWG core. it comes in, takes a hit, and deals pretty decent damage or paralyzes whatever comes in afterward.

Scraggy: I thought Scraggy was supposed to suck this gen lol. the basic idea was to wear the opponents team down enough to the point where Scraggy can come in, DD up, and sweep. it did it well, and definitely deserves higher usage.

Spritzee: Spritzee was interesting... Moonblast hits moderately hard, protect let me stall out burn damage, but what hurt it the most was actually the lack of poison resists on my team vs sun. Bulky af though. If I had more room with my usage stats I would have put a poison resist here. If it wasn't dark horse, Gligar would go here.

Ponyta: Ponyta was great! Speedy wall that hit reasonably hard right back at my opponent and completed the FWG core. Running defense EVs lets it be a more reliable check to fighting types.

Last edited:
Pokemon Showdown Username: ZF goes LC (Dark) I suck srsly
Dark Horse Pokemon: Karrablast, Archen Corphish, Omanyte, Karrablast
Screenshot of Ladder Ranking: Peaked #1. Screenshot below

Omanyte @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 76 HP / 196 SAtk / 236 Spd
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hydro Pump
- Spikes
- Protect

Corphish @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 92 HP / 196 Atk / 76 Def / 76 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off

Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Protect
- Destiny Bond

Pawniard @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Shellder @ Eviolite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell

Karrablast @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 36 HP / 240 Atk / 36 SAtk / 196 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Megahorn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- Drill Run

Questions like these make me warm and fuzzy inside:
Were any of your Dark Horses very useful for your teams, did they do there job correctly and then some?

Yes. Corphish and Karrablast were extremely good. Karrablast spams Megahorn like a champ and can Knock Off switch-ins. Corphish sets up relatively easily, can Knock Off opposing mons, and has that great Adaptability priority to clean up lategame.

Did you have any challenges in your way for creating a team out of not so common pokemon? Any key roles for a team that weren't covered by underrated threats?

Yes. At first, building a balanced team with Foongus, Archen, and Karrablast was extremely hard due to the fact the team's overall usage had to be under 35%. Once I switched to Overwhelming Hyper-Offense, however, teambuilding was much easier.

Rate your dark horses from 1-10. How useful were they? Would you use this pokemon again?

Karrablast: 8
Corphish: 9

I will definitely use these pokemon again.

Here are some replays for your viewing pleasure:
vs. Kappaten http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-76902585
vs. Ploo 2.1 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-76910461, http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-76899144, http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-76913457
vs. alphose_horsy http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-76916967

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm still doing a dark horse under another account, but happened to get the requirements for this one first. Do I create a separate post if or when I complete the other dark horse?
Pokemon Showdown Username: Corporal Levi
Dark Horse Pokemon: Koffing, Lileep, Corphish

26 games because I messed up one time and used Annie Bot's dark horse team instead (it was a win).

Gligar @ Berry Juice
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Murkrow @ Berry juice
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 240 Atk / 80 SAtk / 188 Spd
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Brave Bird
- Icy Wind
- Thunder Wave

Munchlax @ Berry Juice
EVs: 236 HP / 36 Def
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Body Slam
- Recycle

Koffing @ Eviolite
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Def / 236 SDef
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Fire Blast
- Pain Split

Lileep @ Eviolite
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 228 HP / 220 Def / 60 SDef
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Ancient Power
- Giga Drain
- Stealth Rock

Corphish @ Eviolite
EVs: 172 HP / 76 Def / 156 SDef / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

To be honest, I didn't actually build this team with any specific roles for individual Pokemon in mind; I sort of just threw 3 overused Pokemon and 3 underused Pokemon together and hoped for the best. I gave all my non-dark horses Berry Juice and all my dark horses Eviolite so I wouldn't forget which was which

My dark horses certainly held their own. In no way were they worth any less than the other members of my team.

Rate your dark horses from 1-10. How useful were they? Would you use this pokemon again? Why?
Koffing - 8/10. Poison typing is phenomenal defensively and in conjunction with Levitate and a ridiculous defense stat, Koffing can wall quite a few threats, most notably Belly Drum Swirlix. High base power moves allow Koffing to have a decent amount of offensive presence as well. My main issue is its lack of reliable recovery, but other than that Koffing performed brilliantly. I wouldn't mind using this Pokemon again if I'm in a good mood and feeling especially enthusiastic for Smogon.
Lileep - 8/10. I guess this was really the only Dark Horse I brought to the table. Lileep might not be what it was in gen 5 due to the nerf to sand, but it's still a very effective wall. Its enormous bulk and access to Recover allow it to set up Stealth Rock reliably and repeatedly, and other than that, Lileep is still great at just sitting in front of random stuff. I wouldn't mind using this Pokemon again if I'm in need of a bulky Grass type.
Corphish - 8/10. I think its effectiveness has already been detailed numerous times in this thread, and I entirely agree that it's an excellent Pokemon. I wouldn't mind using this Pokemon again if I'm in an awful mood and feel like hurting something.

Ok. For the sake of this thread being useful, I would like you to explain the Pokemon you've chosen. When you build a team, explain the processes behind the team and the options you chose.
This is all in hindsight; I wasn't very serious when I actually built this team.
Gligar - Gligar, the blind monk
Murkrow - I'm really paranoid about sweepers setting up on me when their checks are weakened, so I used Murkrow for the Prankster Thunder Wave. In conjunction with Corphish, Murkrow is able to easily take out these set-up sweepers with its powerful priority if, for whatever reason, Thunder Wave isn't enough. It also helps that Murkrow's Brave Bird hits like a truck with wings.
Munchlax - Munchlax is a great pivot against a variety of special attackers, and that huge HP stat allows it to avoid the OHKO from pretty much any unboosted non-fighting move and recover the damage back with Recycle. Body Slam paralysis helps Corphish sweep more easily, while the other two moves are for coverage. Ice Punch is probably superior to Fire Punch to hit Gligar, but I made this team when it was like 9:30 and thus well past my bedtime so I was really tired and didn't make the best decisions.
Koffing - This is my answer to a variety of physical attackers, including but not limited to Pawniard, Gligar, and Swirlix (I usually assume Swirlix is physical since Belly Drum Swirlix is more immediately threatening). Pain Split being its only form of recovery prevents me from doing this too many times, but a few times is usually enough since the rest of my team can usually help wear these Pokemon down. After a Will-O-Wisp, Koffing becomes nigh unbeatable from the physical side as long as it's still moderately healthy, and Sludge Bomb and Fire Blast means Koffing isn't merely set-up bait. I don't actually find that many opportunities to Pain Split since Koffing tends to spend its time trying to burn stuff before going down; in hindsight, I would probably have replaced it with Clear Smog to better deal with Calm Mind Swirlix.
Lileep - I have three sweepers, so Stealth Rock is necessary for a lot of KOs. Lileep effortlessly sets up Stealth Rock thanks to its bulk, and then proceeds to throw out arbitrary Giga Drains and Ancientpowers. Recover allows Lileep to repeatedly switch in on the likes of Chinchou, Slowpoke, and other water types which plague Corphish and Gligar. Lileep is basically never the star of the show, but it almost always contributes in some way, as one would expect from a wall.
Corphish - Recall what I said about my mental state while detailing Munchlax's uses, and you have why my Corphish has those EVs. It's interesting to note that even with no EVs in Attack, Corphish was still a valuable member of my team by hitting very, very hard with its STAB moves. Aqua Jet, along with Murkrow's Sucker Punch, helps pick off sweepers who have managed to set up. Knock Off cripples switch-ins such as Foongus and Croagunk, making them much less difficult to take out later in the match and opening up for a Corphish sweep later, which Swords Dance helps accomplish. Honestly, though, I got around 4 Corphish sweeps in all 25 games because I never noticed the EVs until I wrote this up and was wondering why it was so weak. I should also mention that at least one of my losses could have been avoided if my Corphish actually did a sufficient amount of damage.
Overall Thoughts - All of my Pokemon on this team performed superbly; as far as I'm concerned, it was because of luck that this team didn't turn out to be complete trash (like two of my previous unsuccessful dark horse teams zubatisterriblebytheway), considering the thought I put into building it. After this, I probably wouldn't change any of the actual Pokemon, but I would probably replace Fire Punch with Ice Punch on Munchlax and, more importantly, give Corphish some Attack EVs.

Last edited:
Pokemon Showdown Username: Gible is Salvation
Dark Horse Pokemon: Mankey, Grimer

Pokemon Showdown Username: KingInkay
Dark Horse Pokemon: Inkay, Numel
Full Team Importable:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alt: wesink
Pkmn: Houndour, Corphish, Koffing

I guess that's silver

MUH DOGE (Houndour) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SAtk / 236 Spd
Naive Nature
IVs: 1 HP
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sucker Punch
- Destiny Bond

MUH CRAB (Corphish) @ Life Orb
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spd
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 HP
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Superpower

MUH BABY PLANT (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 4 HP / 36 Atk / 188 Def / 228 SDef / 36 Spd
Impish Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave

MUH COMPUTER (Porygon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SDef
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam

MUH FAIRY (Spritzee) @ Eviolite
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 8 SAtk / 76 SDef / 12 Spd
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Dazzling Gleam

MUH COUGH (Koffing) @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 236 SDef
Bold Nature
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze
- Pain Split

Okay about my team, well I approached this by picking my dark horse pokemon first, and Corphish and Houndour came to mind first as swag wallbreakers / nukes that give 0 fucks about defensive pokemon, as well as dealing with some of the best pokemon in the tier (Pawniard, Gligar). As an RU player, the first thing that came to mind is a member to complete MUH FWG core (hurray for stale team building!!!), Ferroseed came to mind as it has nice defenses and spreads paralysis which makes this wallbreakers into late game cleaners. Chinchou and some other pkmn seemed really annoying to this team as well, and one paralysis spreader wouldn't be enough, so Porygon was added to be a bitch to take down as well as being pro af. At this point I realized I was gonna get shit on by fighting types especially Timburr, so I added the universal fighting type counter, MUH FAIRY (Spritzee). I was still pretty weak to fighting types, and I wanted another fighting type check that wasn't weak to Knock off, so I chose Haze Koffing, which also deals pretty well with Swirlix, Pawniard, and Gligar. Total team usage: ~25%.

On a scale of 1-10 (where 10 is gligar, and 1 is Magikarp) I rate my dark horses the following:

Houndour: 8/10 - Amazing Typing, Utility with Destiny Bond, Nuke against defensive teams, Priority Vs Offensive teams, frailer than I would like, which hinders its Pawniard pwning ability
Corphish: 7/10 - Really Strong no Draw back Priority, Decent defense for an offensive mon (can take on Gligar), poor SpD, Knock off isn't STAB ;-;
Koffing: 8/10 - Kick Ass Defense, Good B Drum Swirlix Counter, okay match up vs most the meta
(I would use all of them again)

What my team struggled with: Meditite, Meditite was SO annoying because Spritzee is the only thing that wins 1v1 and it can't really switch in. usually I would have to D-bond it with Houndour, but scarf was still a problem, especially when paired with another fighting type to wear down Spritzee.

Last edited:
Hmmm been meaning to try something out in LC for a while and this seems like the perfect place to try it

Pokemon Showdown Username: Whimsy in LC
Dark Horse Pokemon: Elgyem, Pumpkaboo-Super Frillish Mantyke, Machop

^ Obviously I was trying to work with trick room and it ended up going rather mediocre. Elgyem loses out on coverage badly when it tries to run trick room, so I tried out a bulk analytic set and it was ok, but it was always JUST not powerful enough to get the necessary OHKO's or 2HKO's it needed (for example it can't quite OHKO chinchou with an analytic boost). Frilish was a little better, but there are too many things that prey on it. Its a 100% solid answer to slowpoke though ~.

Gonna try something completely different with mantyke and machop now~ considering we can use whatever we want instead of being limited to 35% usage.

Last edited:
Congratulations ZoroarkForever! I gave you 6 points instead of 4 points since you used 3 dark horses. Sorry it took me a while to update, I ended up getting busy yesterday. With that being said, now you will have to beat Zoroark's score if you want to make it on the Leaderboard and Hall Of Fame with Corphish, Karrablast, or Omanyte. I will give you half points though if you do end up making it with one of those on your team...

Last edited:
Reactions: zf
Pokemon Showdown Username: (TBD)
Dark Horse Pokemon: Foongus Frillish
Screenshot of Ladder Ranking: (TBD)
how do i hide tag?

Foongus @ Eviolite
EVs: 236 SAtk / 156 SDef / 116 Def
Modest Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Clear Smog

Frillish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 196 Spd / 236 SAtk / 76 SDef
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Ponyta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 236 SDef / 236 Def
Impish Nature
- Morning Sun
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge

Scraggy @ Berry Juice
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 236 Atk / 196 SDef / 76 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Fake Out
- Fire Punch

Ferroseed @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 188 Def / 228 SDef / 84 HP / 8 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 236 SDef / 196 Def / 76 HP
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

did that work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pokemon Showdown Username: HeDancesWithKanye
Dark Horse Pokemon: Magby, Grimer, Purrloin
Magby @ Berry Juice
EVs: 252 Spd / 236 Atk / 20 SDef
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Belly Drum
- Mach Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Thunder Punch

Purrloin @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 228 Spd / 188 HP / 92 Def
Jolly Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Swagger

Grimer @ Eviolite
Ability: Sticky Hold
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Fire Punch
- Shadow Sneak
- Pain Split

Chinchou @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 128 Spd / 228 SAtk / 60 SDef / 92 HP
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Munchlax @ Berry Juice
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 SDef / 36 Def
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Whirlwind
- Recycle
- Earthquake

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Healer
EVs: 12 SAtk / 212 HP / 156 SDef / 128 Def
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
[Hide/]

Not trying to minimod or anything, but for the sake of my ocd, please try to use the edit button instead of posting 3 times in a row. And just clarifying since a few have asked me, yes you can still use dark horse pokemons that have already been hall of famed, you just get half points for it if you aren't above the current hall of fame score

Pokemon Showdown Username: Xiǎo Hēi Mǎ
Dark Horse Pokemon: Shellos and Tailow
Screenshot of Ladder Ranking: TBE
Full Team Importable: TBE

• Pokemon showdown name
Liquidmeowth
Dark horse pokemon
Wynaut diglett gothita your all f*** i like trapping.
Screenshot ranking (when i get it)

Importable team (once i get it)

I will give my reasons for my dark horses right now and why i chose them and how there doing. Obviously i started out with them because i wanted trappers in lc so i took the three big trappers available gothita wynaut and diglett and i will go over each one personally. Gothita is the least useful of the three i have found but still very useful usually i do a nice combination of encore from wynaut on a set up move then use taunt with gothita. The best reason to use gothita though is the ability to come in on something it can set up on boost to plus 4 with calm mind rest off any damage and taunt opposing set up sweepers and when all dark types are removed sweep with psyshock. Wynaut i use completely like wobbufet and he is actually pretty broken and the best member of the dark horses. Wynaut can easily come in on basically any poke and revenge it with its good bulk and counter coat combo though knock off hurts. Wynaut also gets the rare destiny bond and with it plus counter coat it will take down 2-3 pokes a game and set up sweepers must fear encore which allows me to the proper check/sweeper. Finally diglett the midfle of the trio is still very useful and a close second. I play it like dugtrio in ou with a focus sash+reversal+stab+priority set and it works quite well in outspeeding and revenge killing a majority of the tier and with slidequake+reversal+s-punch i am almost always guarenteed to outspeed and ko most of the tier. This is way i chose the dark horses i did and will update soon why i chose the teammates.

Last edited:
Pokemon Showdown Username: TDark Horse
Dark Horse Pokemon: Sandile / Binacle (Full Team's Usage: 9.993%)
Screenshot of Ladder Ranking: -None yet-

Sandile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 180 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang

Sandile was the first Dark Horse Pokemon I selected. I wanted to make use of its often overlooked capabilities of a late game cleaner with Moxie and powerful STABS. I was a little bit let down that this thing didn't get Knock Off, because then it would surely be used a lot more, but Crunch is only 2 Base Power weaker (but without the item loss ;_;). Stone Edge was used for the EdgeQuake combo, and Fire Fang was for Ferroseed. This set is honestly just the same set used last generation. But yeah, Sandile has always been a very fun Pokemon to use in LC imo, shame that it is often very forgotten!

Magby @ Berry Juice
EVs: 236 Atk / 20 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Belly Drum
- Mach Punch
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch

Magby was added next just because it looked fun and I see it as a potent threat this generation honestly. It fit my team nicely and it began my WFG Core that I use on all my teams.

Mime Jr. @ Eviolite
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 76 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Mime Jr. is fucking underused and that isn't ok with me. It is very good honestly, and is very powerful after one or two Calm Minds, definitely a force to be reckoned with.

Meowth (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SDef / 196 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Bite
- Hypnosis

Meowth was added because I'd heard good things about it and I wanted to try it out. It's been a bit underwhelming really, but idk what I would change it to, so it stays.

Foongus @ Eviolite
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 76 SAtk / 76 SDef / 76 Spd
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Stun Spore

lol this was copy pasta'd from last gens analysis. but it adds to my WFG core.

Binacle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 196 Spd / 180 Atk / 132 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell
- Stone Edge
- Cross Chop

Binacle is my other Dark Horse, with it being a threatening Shell Smash sweeper, a very underused one might I add, being very fun and hard to stop unless miss / priority. I don't even like Binacle, but I'll admit it is pretty good!

My team playstyle is kind of leaning towards offensive with a splash of defense! It's honestly pretty much me being a karenfag, which I do most of the time and don't even care.

Last edited:
Ok. For the sake of this thread being useful, I would like you to explain the Pokemon you've chosen. When you build a team, explain the processes behind the team and the options you chose. Give us a breakdown of your matches, whether things were successful, etc. The true merit of the Dark Horse project is to show off forgotten threats in order to discover niche Pokemon that deserve usage. Please explain to us why the Pokemon you've chosen are good.

This thread will not continue for much longer if I don't see more of that. This is not a recommendation. This is a requirement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)