The Chompz: Unchained

Hello. A while ago, during the previous generation, I posted a team called "The Chompz". It was (in my opinion) a very solid team, capable of stalling almost indefinitely, with a scarfed Garchomp added as an additional win condition. Time has passed, the game has changed, so the same had to happen to the team.
I've played around 40 matches with this team in Pokebank OU. I'm not much of a pro at this game, but I didn't see anything remotely countering my setup. If I got any losses, they were mainly due to poor decisions on my part.
Ok, so no more stalling, here's my team (all the images are googled, I'm not the author of any of them):

Cho'Gath (Garchomp) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Stone Edge

Even though you might think he's the star of this team, most wins happen without him even seeing the battlefield. And even if he does show up, it's just to clean up all the pokes that are too stubborn to get stalled out efficiently.
I've decided not to give him Garchompite, since the MEvo doesn't fit the role of a revenge killer/fast sweeper. Scarf is really an optimal solution: Garchomp's amazing attack lets it rip most things apart anyway, and the scarf insures he doesn't get outsped by random things like other Garchomps, Starmie or the Latis.
Right now, old Cho'Gath has to wait a little bit longer before coming out to do his job, with all the fairies running around, blocking his amazing outrages. He still has Stone Edge to annoy Togekiss, but the scarf requires to make this kind of predictions really carefully. On the other hand, he can't do anything (and I mean, ANYTHING) to Azumarill. But that's not much of a problem, since there are other Pokemon to get rid of the rabbit anyway.

(Insert egg joke here) (Chansey) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Protect
- Wish
- Toxic

If you're looking for the real hero, here she is. The Eggster, Eggmeister, or (as its victims call it), the Death Egg. I don't even know why won't people use this Pokemon more. She might have less SpD than the evolved version, but it's not much of a problem. I haven't seen a single special sweeper take more than 20-30% of her health (including the new megas. She even pp-stalled out a MegaGengar once. Yeah. She couldn't hurt him. So she made him hurt itself). At the same time, the increased defense and a big HP pool let her survive lesser physical violence, all with a smile on her face.
The only thing Chansey can't take are STAB physical fighting moves. Yes, they need to be STAB (can easily take a Superpower from a lot of things, including a Haxorus), Fighting (took an Outrage from a Dragonite once) and Physical (can't even remember how many Focus Blasts and Aura Spheres just bounced right off of her face). Right now she kinda fears Lucarios (especially the Mega ones) and Conkeldurrs, but both are not much of a problem, since the other teammates get rid of them efficiently. There may be other things that are troublesome, but they're not that common, so they can be ignored right now.

Acrobat (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SDef
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Substitute
- Taunt

The most annoying physical wall ever. Named after an old set, that he never performed, just to be more confusing and annoying. This Pokemon was suggested to me in the original thread, where he replaced Skarmory. Was pretty hesitant to the change, but once I did, I never went back. It's almost impossible how much punishment this thing can take. If he's left with even enough health to drop a sub, you can almost consider him full health. Taunt makes it easier for him to get rid of set-uppers and leads. The only thing coming remotely close to killing this thing is Azumarill, and since most are choiced, it's easy to predict its actions, or scout it out with protect and act accordingly. Oh, yeah, he's one of easier counters for Aegislash, so if you can't get rid of the over-overused blade, I'd say a Gliscor is your man.
Acrobat needs to avoid all the ice attacks. At all cost. Every Ice Beam, Ice Punch, Icicle Spear, Ice, whatever is a potential death sentence to him (especially the latter, as it bursts through substitute). But that's not much of a problem, since both Eggy and the guy we'll talk about in a second can take care of them with ease.

Pringles (Jellicent) (M)@ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Scald
- Recover
- Taunt

The all-around wall/pivot of the team. He serves a role somewhere inbetween Acrobat and Eggy. If any of them don't feel too hot about taking a specific kind of damage, or just need a useful switch, Pringles is the man. Other than that, he usually switches into predicted water, fighting or ice attacks, burns whatever needs to be burned with Will-o-Wisp (on a side note, the additional 5% accuracy added this gen make Pringles a lot more useful. Beforehand, he almost always missed in the most critical moments, now I think he missed two times in these 40 matches, that's a really big progress), then just kills with Recover+Scald. Oh, and on a side note, if you play well, a Jellicent is a really good counter to Aegislash (a burned +2 Aegislash does somewhere around 30% dmg with Shadow Sneak).
A lot of people asked me during matches why use both Will-O-Wisp and Scald, and not something like Surf or Toxic to replace them. Well, Scald takes a bit of strategy out of my hands. If I just burned something and I don't know if I should WOW again because of the switch, or Surf to deal damage, I get a little bit of both. Sure, it's not a 100% chance, but it's also not necessary every time, so everything's fine.

Floatsy (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SAtk / 84 Spd
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

The newest addition to the team, sitting here mostly for testing. I'm still switching this spot a bit, since I still want a steel Poke in this slot (all of them are called Floatsy, just to honor their former teammate). It used to be a Heatran for a very,very long time, but I decided it doesn't hit hard enough to make it useful, so I switched it for a Genesect. But the bug wasn't as useful I anticipated. He seemed too fragile. So I went for something inbetween the two: a Magnezone. It's a bit more sturdy than a Genesect and hits a lot harder than Heatran.
I'm still not exactly sure how I feel about this Pokemon, since he didn't get much action yet. I'm still on the search for the perfect candidate for that spot, so I'm definitely taking suggestions.

ROAAAR (Tyranitar) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Crunch
- Fire Punch / Fire Blast
- Ice Punch / Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

The great enigma. Serves as a lead (if the other teams lead doesn't counter it too much) and a general problem-solver. I'd say this guy's build is the most amazing thing on my team. You wouldn't believe how many Gliscors, Dragonites, Forretresses and other things died, just because they had no clue what this guy is capable of. Most people expect the standard build with EQ, SE and Superpower. And that's where years of experience really turn around on a lot of people.
I'm in the middle of deciding which of the two I want to switch: Fire Punch or Ice Punch. I used to use both the special moves (and have 40 EVs in SpA instead of Atk), but since the Mega gives me such a nice attack boost with no matching special attack boosts, I decided to switch them for the new punches Ttar supposedly got this gen. Yet, I think a mixed set would be even less predictable and would suit my needs better.
And now, why did I give this lovely beast a megastone, and not lefties or assault vest? Well, a couple of reasons. First of all, the stat changes really make this thing work. It's just a bit faster, just a bit stronger, just a bit more resistant. Second, let's say I run out of sandstorm in an unfortunate moment, or a Politoed switches in. A standard Ttar would have to get out of there, do a risky switch, and then switch back in, even riskier. Well, ROAAAR here just goes Super Saiyan and the sandstorm is back up again. And last (but not least)...MegaGengar. Yeah. People switch it in, go mega, expect a surefire kill, with Shadow Tag and all. And then...well, a mega happens, I take a lot less damage and just 2HKO, surviving with 20-10% health. Even if he gets revenge-killed after this, I managed to set-up Stealth Rocks, killed their mega and have like two more turns of Sandstorm (which is not as critical as it would seem. The residual damage is nice, but it's mostly there to boost ROAAAR's already excelent SpD).

So...yeah, that's it. The team mostly focuses on stalling (either with Toxic or Burn), other things added to make the strategy flow better. Thanks for sticking with my ramblings till the very end, and thank you in advance for all the potential feedback. Ignismare, over and out.

Really liked fiddling around with this team. You're not too high on Magnezone, but I found it invaluable. It traps a bunch of notable threats like Ferrothorn, Scizor and Skarm.

This team did seem somewhat weak to hazards though (I remember Sticky Web and Toxic Spikes ran havoc on it). Thoughts?

Last edited:
Really liked fiddling around with this team. You're not too high on Magnezone, but I found it invaluable. It traps a bunch of notable threats like Ferrothorn, Scizor and Skarm.
It's not that I'm not that hot on Magnezone. It's just that I'm not really certain if it's really the right thing for the team. I can already get rid of Scizor effectively with Gliscor. Jellicent takes pretty good care of both Skarm and Ferrothorn (and even Scizor from time to time). Right now I'm looking for a special sweeper that could take a hit on a switch-in and KO something back. And Magnezone does that fine for now.
This team did seem somewhat weak to hazards though (I remember Sticky Web and Toxic Spikes ran havoc on it). Thoughts?
Never had that much problems with Toxic Spikes, but Sticky Web does seem to be an issue. I'm considering getting a spinner/defogger, but I don't know what to drop to get it going (getting Defog on Gliscor would really hurt its capabilities I think).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)