SM UU The Boys Are Back In Town (Guess Who's Back?)

-----The Boys Are Back In Town-----

As the title suggests, I'm back from my 3 week exchange in Germany, and it was freakin' awesome! I won't go into detail about it here, but if you wanna know something about it, hit me up on Discord! Anyways, I've had this RMT planned for a while, as I've wanted to show off probably my most successful hand-built team. This is the team I used in UU Open, as well as submitted as a sample, as it's generally pretty easy to use for newer players as well. That being said, it is also one of my favorite teams, so here I am showing it off to you guys! The basis of the team is utilizing a core of Scizor+Heatom, which forms a VoltTurn core capable of bringing key threats, while also utilizing some of the best pokemon in the tier, 2 of which have been suspected and almost removed from the tier. But why showcase it now? Because although it is my favorite team that I've ever built, I personally feel it's outdated slightly due to the rise of lesser seen pokemon like Volcanion, which the team doesn't really prepare for as much, and in turn, struggles with it slightly. Anyways, here it is, and I hope I get to catch up with all of you!

==============================-----Teambuilding Process-----==============================

--------========
========--------

Scizor + Rotom Heat is probably one of, if not the best, example of a quality Volt-Turn core. The workings of the core are quite simple in terms of use and explanation. U-turn and Volt Switch allow the pokemon (in this case, Scizor and Rotom Heat) to do damage, and then switch out, gaining the upper hand due to being able to bring in a pokemon that checks or counters your opponent's pokemon, forcing them into a prediction based scenario, where you have the advantage. What makes Scizor+Rotom Heat so great however is the fact that they can offensively and defensively cover each other's checks and counters. Scizor can pressures Rock types such as Terrakion, Rhyperior, and Nihilego with STAB Bullet Punch, whereas Rotom Heat can threaten the majority of Scizor's answers, such as Mega Steelix, Moltres, Cobalion, and Doublade. Rotom Heat can also Toxic things like Hippowdon that would otherwise not care too much about Rotom Heat or Scizor. Scizor mainly functions as a breaker and possible wincon, whereas Rotom Heat functions as the team's defogger and flying resist, while also checking opposing Scizors.

--------========
========--------

Next, I opted for a recent mon on trial, Mega Altaria. Mega Altaria functions as the team's Stallbreaker, being able to muscle through unaware users via Facade, which smashes through Quagsire and Pyukumuku for the clean 2HKO. Mega Altaria also utilizes it's defensive typing to check things like Crawdaunt, tbolt+draco variants of Latias, as well as Infernape somewhat. Where it really shines is with it's amazing offensive capabilities, due to it's access to Dragon Dance, amazing STAB options thanks to it's ability Pixelate, which turns normal-type moves, such as Double Edge, Frustration, Return, and Facade, into Fairy type moves with a slight boost in base power, taking the original base power and multiplying it by 1.2x if I remember correctly. Altaria and Rotom Heat cover each other's checks and counters pretty well on a side note, with Altaria checking Latias and Heatom's other checks, while Heatom checks steels and Amoonguss.

--------========
========--------

Moving on, I needed a secondary Scizor check that provided a Terrakion answer, as well as an actual Mega Aerodactyl answer. Doublade fills all of these positions, as well as appreciates Mega Altaria eating Knock Offs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Doublade gives the team another wallbreaker, as well as a small form of speed control via Shadow Sneak. Doublade also checks Scizor that don't carry Knock Off, as even Pursuit is doing shit damage. While, it does have to watch out from repeated Earthquakes from Terrakion and Mega Aerodactyl, it's still a solid answer to both of these, and benefits from being on the team in many ways. Doublade also checks Celebi somewhat. Mega Altaria checks Dark Types and Fire Types for Doublade and Doublade can check Scizor as well as help MAltaria chip the likes of Mega Aggron and Mega Steelix with Sacred Sword. Overall, Doublade is a solid 4th member of the team and pulls its weight very well.

--------========
========--------

Speaking of Speed Control, that is what I looked for next. Considering Mimikyu's unban and the new rise of Gengar's presence and Doublade being a threat to the rest of my team, so I obviously also looked for a Ghost resist. Finally, I needed a Ground type to block Volt Switch users. Therefore, Krookidile was chosen. Krookidile offers all of these attributes, while functioning as a revenge killer to revenge threats such as non-rock polish Terrakion, Latias, non-colbur Celebi, and other things. Krookidile also has an amazing ability in Intimidate, allowing it to slightly come in on more things, or lower an opponents attack and then die, which offers set up opportunities for Doublade, Scizor, or Mega Altaria. It should be mentioned that Krook needs chip damage on Celebi before being able to kill it. To sum it up, Krookidile is an important fifth member of the team, and is quite efficient at what it does for the most part.

--------========
========--------

Finally we get to the sixth and final member of the team. I still needed a way to handle Primarina somewhat, as well as a rocker, which all scream Empoleon. While not as dominate as it used to be, Empoleon is still a solid rocker/defogger, but it's way better of a rocker due to it having a stellar matchup vs common rockers at the moment. Empoleon appreciates Krookidile eating Electric moves and Altaria eating Grass and Fighting moves, as well as Rotom Heat checking some Ground types alongside Scizor. Empoleon also utilizes Knock Off of its own to annoy the likes of Tentacruel, which would otherwise be borderline impossible for the team to deal with. However, it is important to note that Empoleon, same with Doublade, gets worn down quite fast, and can be lured by Electrium Z Latias, which calls for a lot more paying attention. In conclusion, Empoleon rounds off the team quite well, and I personally think there isn't anything that could do it's job better.

==============================-----In-Depth Look-----==============================

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Atk / 148 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
U-turn
Bullet Punch
Swords Dance
Roost

Here we are with the first member of the team, the best pokemon in the tier, Scizor. Scizor has been the most meta defining pokemon throughout all of SM UU and continues to do so. It was even suspected recently, albeit barely staying in the tier, which shows why Scizor is the king of UU. This set in particular was chosen due to it's access to U-turn originally, but I then ended up switching to Choice Band, adding Mega Altaria, and then remaking Scizor into Z Bug. The EV spread does a lot of things for Scizor; First off, 244 HP EVs alongside 148 Defense EVs let Scizor live a lot of attacks after Stealth Rocks damage, such as Krookidile's Earthquake and maybe Mega Aerodactyl's Stone Edge. 96 EVs in Special Defense let Scizor live Latias' +1 Gigavolt Havoc and 4 Speed EVs let Scizor outrun uninvested Alomomola. Finally, 16 Attack EVs with an Adamant Nature secure the OHKO on Amoonguss with +2 Savage Spinout. The moves are quite simple: Bullet Punch is the standard on any Scizor set, allowing it to revenge kill threats like Terrakion or Latias after some chip. U-turn lets Scizor nail something for some damage and then switch out. Buginium Z allows Scizor to power up it's U-turn into a powerful Savage Spinout, letting it severly cripple or outright remove something from the game. Swords Dance lets Scizor boost it's attack by 2 stages, allowing to more efficiently tear through teams. Finally, Roost allows Scizor to heal itself, alongside its fantastic bulk, which allows Scizor to act as a great check to Latias on the team, if it isn't carrying Hidden Power Fire that is.

Rotom-Heat @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 24 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
Overheat
Volt Switch
Toxic
Defog

Moving on from Scizor, we get to our second pokemon: Rotom-Heat. Rotom Heat rose from RU a while ago due to it's amazing typing, which lets it check the likes of Moltres, Togekiss, and Scizor, access to Defog via USUM's release, as well as access to other utility moves, such as Volt Switch and Will-O-Wisp. Rotom-Heat still continues to do these things somewhat well, although as time flies, Rotom-Heat's issues become a slight bit more obvious. However, Rotom Heat continues to do what it does and has done consistently in the tier to this day. On this team in particular, Rotom Heat is used as the team's Defogger, a check to Moltres, Mamoswine, and Scizor, as well as forming the VoltTurn core with Scizor. While it's utility movepool is pretty good, it's Fire type STAB options are limited to Overheat and Hidden Power Fire, which leads to Overheat being the only good choice, which is why its here. Volt Switch is Rotom-Heat's other STAB on this set, allowing it to do damage and then switch out. Toxic lets Rotom Heat pressure things it checks, like Moltres and Mamoswine. However, Thunderbolt is an option over Toxic to do STAB damage without switching out afterwards, but I personally prefer Toxic so I can actually pressure Mamoswine and Latias. Finally, Defog clears hazards from the field, which is essential to keep Rotom Heat healthy. The EV spread underspeeds opposing Rotom Heats so you always get to Volt Switch after they do. 236 HP lets you survive 4 rounds of Stealth Rocks, and the rest of the EVs are dumped in Special Attack to always be able to OHKO Celebi with Overheat after Stealth Rocks damage. A Wiki Berry is here to give Rotom instant 50% recovery when it reaches 25% health, and a Wiki berry especially confuses Bug Bite Scizor.

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure --> Pixelate
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
Facade
Dragon Dance
Roost
Fire Blast

Now we move onto the third member of the team, which is also the team's Stallbreaker, Mega Altaria. Mega Altaria is another titan of the SM UU metagame. It was also recently suspected, survived, and has established itself as one of the best pokemon in the UU tier, due to its amazing offensive, defensive, and utility-wise attributes. While it does have to be careful of getting it's Facade's PP Stalled, a status-powered Facade is insanely strong, allowing Mega Altaria to 2HKO Quagsire and Pyukumuku, which are the only 2 viable Unaware users on stall atm. Due to Altaria's typing, access to Recovery, and Facade, Altaria functions as the team's main Scald switch-in. Facade itself is a 70 base power Normal Type move that when either Poisoned, Burnt, or Paralyzed, doubles it's base power to 140. However, with the Pixelate boost, Mega Altaria's boosted Facade reaches a whopping 168 base power, which basically smashes everything not named Scizor, Aggron-Mega, Doublade, or Steelix-Mega. Speaking of those, Fire Blast nails all of those, as well as Amoonguss, which can also (somewhat) handle a boosted Facade. Dragon Dance allows Altaria to boost it's attack and speed by 1 stage, allowing it to clean/sweep in the end or stallbreak more efficiently. Roost allows Mega Altaria to heal itself and better utilize it's amazing Defensive typing. The EV spread makes Altaria be faster then non-scarf Latias at +1, and invests the rest of the EVs into Max Attack and more HP for better bulk. Speaking of it's defensive typing, Dragon/Fairy typing alongside Altaria's great bulk allow Mega Altaria to check threats like Zeraora, Crawdaunt, and Infernape. Altaria's Fairy typing also lets it check most variants of Hydreigon for the team, which is essential to the success of any team in the tier.

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
Swords Dance
Gyro Ball
Shadow Sneak
Sacred Sword

Next, is the 4th member of the team and my second Scizor check, which is Doublade. While it is quite prone to Knock Off variants of Scizor, and Knock Off users in general due to it's eviolite being the majority of it's fat, Doublade still has amazing physical bulk, allowing it to check basically any other variant of Scizor, including even banded pursuit sometimes. Doublade can also pick off weakened threats with Shadow Sneak, as well as function as the main Mega Altaria check on the team alongside Scizor. Swords Dance allows Doublade to function as somewhat of a wallbreaker/cleaner in some instances by doubling it's attack, as well as pivot into non-Fire Blast variants of Blissey. Gyro Ball is Doublade's Steel STAB, and abuses Doublade's pathetic speed by doing more damage to faster opponents. As previously mentioned, Shadow Sneak allows Doublade to function as somewhat as a revenge killer by picking off weakened threats with Shadow Sneak, but it's pretty weak, so you will generally need a lot of chip damage. Shadow Claw is Doublade's main Ghost STAB, but it's also kinda weak, so it's better to apply pressure with Swords Dance before clicking any buttons. I personally now run Sacred Sword, which after an SD, lets Doublade help with breaking down fat steels like Mega Aggron and Mega Steelix. The EVs are not very specific, and they let Doublade live something, but I'm too lazy to look it up atm, so just read the analysis. A Brave Nature alongside 0 Speed IVs let Doublade be as slow as possible, which makes it's Gyro Ball even stronger. It's amazing defensive typing also lets it check the monsters of Terrakion and Mega Aerodactyl. Overall, Doublade does what it needs to, although it feels kinda awkward sometimes, it pulls it's weight when it needs to, and is deserving of the slot it has on the team.

Krookidile
@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Earthquake
Knock Off
Pursuit

Stone Edge

Krookidile, in my opinion, should be at the top of A+ rankings on the Viability Ranking. It can do so much, and has potential for so many sets, but even the 2 sets it has, are both very effective at what they need to do. Anyways, this Krookidile in particular helps the Gengar/Doublade/Gligar matchup due to Knock Off + being able to block Volt Switch. Krookidile can also revenge kill a plethora of threats, such as Celebi, Latias, Terrakion, Cobalion, Mega Aerodactyl, Moltres, so on and so fourth. The EVs are pretty standard, just Max Attack and Max Speed for maximum damage output and maximum speed to be as fast as possible. A Choice Scarf boosts Krookidile's speed stat by 1.5x, allowing Krookidile to preform as a solid revenge killer. Earthquake is Krookidile's main STAB, letting it mainly smash through Steel, Rock, Poison, and Electric types, such as Mega Manectric, Nihilego, and Doublade. Knock Off is Krookidile's other STAB, and probably the move on Krookidile you will click the most. Knock Off removes a pokemon's item from them, which is key to scouting sets of certain pokemon. However, although it's quite spammable, you need to be weary of Justified pokemon, such as Terrakion, Lucario, and Cobalion, as a knock off will give them +1 Attack. Another issue with Scarf Krook is that all of it's moves are punishable after you use them, i.e. if you click and kill something with Earthquake, a Flying type/levitater can come in for free and get free turns. That is why you have to be very careful of what you click, and make sure you have a gameplan for whatever is coming out after you click whatever you click. Either way, Krookidile is a solid revenge killer on the team, and fills a few other roles on the team that make it as great as it is.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
Scald
Toxic
Stealth Rock
Knock Off

Here it is, the final member of the team. Empoleon functions as the team's Stealth Rocker, as well as the team's Primarina check and a backup Latias check. Empoleon used to be really good a while back, right after Gliscor left, and has seen a few spikes in usage here and there, but overall, it's somewhat on the decline and has been since Gliscor left. However, it's still a great Stealth Rocker in my mind due to the great matchup it has vs common Defoggers, such as Rotom-Heat, Gligar, and Moltres. The EV spread allows you to eat 2 unboosted Close Combats from Cobalion as well as 2 Earthquakes from Hippowdon, while also having a ton of special bulk to take hits better from the likes of Latias. Scald is mandatory, as it's the best attacking move for any defensive pokemon with access to it, due to a pretty good PP amount, the 80 base power, as well as the semi-broken 30% burn rate. Having this also prevents Empoleon from being completely shut down by Taunt. Toxic allows Empoleon to pressure things that don't quite care about Scald, such as Latias, Swampert, Hydreigon, etc. by putting them on a timer. Toxic can also pressure Infernape that want to set up in your face. Stealth Rocks are mandatory hazards on every serious team, no matter the playstyle, due to how good they are. Stealth Rocks, when on the field, do damage to pokemon when they switch in, based on their typing being weak to rock or not. For example, a Charizard would take 50% from Stealth Rocks when it switches in on them, and a Mega Steelix would take about 3%, due to 4x resisting Rock. Finally, Knock Off allows you to cripple the likes of opposing Empoleon and Tentacruel by removing their items, which would otherwise be a pain for the team.

==============================-----Threat List-----==============================

Probably the one thing that stands out to most people looking at the team is the lack of a consistent defensive answer for Nasty Plot Infernape. Yes, it can be annoying
if it gets to +2, considering Krookidile is my revenge killer. However, the main way for the team to deal with Infernape as a whole is offensively pressure it + chip damage + keeping Mega Altaria healthy. With the combination of these 3 things, Infernape is generally less of an issue then some may think.

[
]

Tentacruel, and the occasional Mantine, are really stupid to fight. The team has no real way to outright switch into and dispose of either of them. Personally, I can generally play around both of these with the combination of a well timed Knock Off from Empoleon + Offensive predictions + Hazards. However, if you find yourself struggling vs these 2 way more then usual, then opt for Thunderbolt > Toxic on Rotom-Heat. This allows you to do super effective and consistent damage to both of these without switching yourself out.

Speaking of really annoying things, here's the king of real freakin' annoying. Volcanion's STAB combination is scary enough, but it would be resisted by Mega Altaria. However, for some reason it learns Sludge Bomb / Sludge Wave, so that obliterates that option. Best way to deal with this thing is pressuring it from coming in at all. For example, if you have Empoleon in, and it feels like a free Volcanion turn, double into something like Krookidile that can offensively pressure it. Just be smart about it, try and play your cards right vs it, though be weary, because its always threat, nevertheless.

==============================-----Replays-----==============================

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-930131177
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-930130165
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-930124065
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-930122272
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-951230805
UU Open Game r1 game 1 vs Serene Grace

==============================-----Conclusion-----==============================

So yea, now I have to build another team that I main with because this one is outdated now. Thanks, UnderUsed. This was more of a showcase/showoff then an actual desire for a rate, but feel free to rate it if you want, whoever. As long as you know what you're doing. Anyways, I enjoy and will continue to enjoy chatting with you all, and I hope you like the team. Or don't. Your choice. Sucky conclusion probably, but there's really not much to say, and it's like 1:40 AM when I'm finally posting this after half a week. So yea, chat with you all later, and Auf Weidersehen!

Scizor @ Buginium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Atk / 148 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Rotom-Heat @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 24 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Defog

Altaria-Mega @ Altarianite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Fire Blast

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

esche

Frust kommt auf, denn der Bus kommt nicht
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hi

great song choice

also neat team, i dont think you need to scrap this yet only bc mimi dropped btw

mimi gets an sd on unboosted alt-m, krook (not really tho) and empo. maybe consider roar on the latter if you feel that it allows mimi to set up too easily although i get that knocking tenta is pretty important for this team. setting up on empo is kinda tough for mimi anyway bc disguise doesnt protect from burn chance. in the end you always have sciz and doub for priority (+2 lo sneak doesnt even do half to doub which is ridiculous) plus you got krook to do intimidate shenanigans on predicted ghost type attacks which is real easy to go for if you have one of your priority users out for example.

thats all :psyglad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)