All Gens The Best Types In History - Round 2: GSC (See post 114)

I'm always more of a fan of consensus through discussion rather than voting, as it's easy for open votes to get trolled / people with little-to-no experience to vote, but I suppose we can try a compromise. Votes must have some sort of explanation behind them to count, either through previous posts in the thread or in the actual voting post. I'll use the same value system outlined in the OP to rank votes, as the extra numbers are useful for tallying all positions.

1. Normal
  2. Psychic
  3. Ice
  4. Ground
  5. Water
  6. Electric
  7. Grass
  8. Rock
  9. Flying
  10. Ghost
  11. Dragon
  12. Bug = Fighting
  13. -
  14. Fire
  15. Poison

consensus is a bit idealized though, clearly at some point you just agree to disagree. i think having a general discussion period before votes is productive, and even when the votes start rolling i'm open to people changing their rankings with additional discussion though, so yeah attaching a quit blurb with each ranking is totally a welcome requirement.

also i think what's important here is some sort of cutoff point, which is why i sorta disagree with the "each rank needs a distinct point". i feel like in a thread where we are trying to find the best types, we should never be reduced to "why something sucks less". as is what happens when we talk about bug vs fighting, pin missile vs submission on jolteon? who cares?

basically having the middle ranks be tiered in some fashion, and the lower tiers be totally ignored allows us quickly to reach a "general consensus". the top few ranks should still have distinct rating though.

also as a preface to other rounds, stun spore is grass correct? recover is normal? etc etc? so that would make confuse ray ghost type then? or do we consider them typeless moves? it doesn't make sense to completely ignore the quintessential move in gsc: spikes.

Last edited:
I've been following this thread loosely since the beginning (cool idea, by the way), so while I haven't been involved much in the discussion since there wasn't much I could say that hasn't been said already, I'd still like to contribute a vote of my own. It's pretty similar to some other ballots I've seen, so I'll try to keep the reasoning short and sweet.

1. Normal: If you asked random RBY players who their top 3 would be, chances are you'd have at least two of the big 3 Normals, if not all 3. Very dominant in the metagame, great offensive type, easy to find complimentary coverage for Rocks and Gengar (namely EQ), and not really bad defensively with one irrelevant weakness. Plus, several Normal moves are great on non-Normals. The same can't be said about Psychic on non-Psychics.
  2. Psychic: Expand the above top 3 to a top 6 and you'd likely have the big 3 Normals + 3 Psychics. Also a very dominating type such that they sort of check themselves; the main reason why Psychic is a great defensive type and not so great an offensive type is because Psychic resists itself. Not as dominant pound-for-pound as Normals perhaps, but there's more of them.
  3. Ice: Weird to say as a modern generation player, but Ice is good defensively. Resistance to Ice and immunity to freeze are fantastic, and 2 of its 3 weaknesses are irrelevant. Great offensive type as well with a chance to freeze, and it helps form good neutral coverage combinations (namely BoltBeam). Plus, Blizzard is Blizzard.
  4. Ground: Earthquake is just a great STAB and coverage move in general, and Rhydon/Golem are great sources of physical offense. Plus, they're a huge reason why Zapdos and even Jolteon aren't any better than they are now.
  5. Water: Grass and Electric weaknesses suck, but Ice resistance is pretty nice. Not all OU Waters commonly use their Water STABs, but the fact that there's a solid handful of viable Waters is a pretty good point in Water's favor.
  6. Electric: Zapdos and Jolteon aren't as dominant as Exeggutor, but I give Electric the nod over Grass since Thunderbolt is such a good move. Even Pokemon that don't get STAB on it use it as a coverage move, generally for BoltBeam coverage. It also makes Zapdos pretty dangerous when Rhydon and Golem are gone.
  7. Grass: Exeggutor is another top tier Pokemon, largely thanks to its Grass typing. Ice weakness is made up for by a Ground resistance, while Grass STABs hit Waters and GolDon. Mega Drain isn't amazing, but it's a good pick on Exeggutor and Gengar, while Razor Leaf is a powerful tool on Victreebel and helps punish stupid Slowbros.
  8. Rock: Rhydon and Golem would not be able to take Zapdos on as well if not for their Rock typing (crit Drill Peck does up to ~40% to non-Rock Rhydon and even more to Golem), and STAB Rock Slide is a solid STAB that gets great neutral coverage alongside Earthquake. Normal resist is also very key here.
  9. Ghost: Gengar would be so cool if it were a pure Ghost-type (even Snorlax EQ couldn't even guarantee a 3HKO). Normal immune is great, and there's little downside to the typing itself. The problem is that Ghost moves aren't very relevant, and the one Ghost in the game is hindered by Poison typing.
  10. Flying: Flying comes with 3 unfortunate weaknesses, and while a Grass resist is cool, Ground immune only does so much good when GolDon slam you with Rock Slide. Still, Zapdos and Dragonite are notable Flying types, and Zapdos's Drill Peck is pretty important.
  11. Dragon: I suppose Ice weakness is balanced somewhat by useful Water, Grass, and Electric resistances, although Dragonite's Flying typing sorta messes with that. Kind of a "could be worse" sort of thing, though, and at least Dragonite is a notable Pokemon.
  12. Bug: Between this and Fighting, it basically comes down to which coverage move is better on Jolteon, so I guess I'd have to go with Bug. Really splitting hairs, though.
  13. Fighting: See above.
  14. Fire: Fire is just too risky, despite the fact that Fire Blast is such a strong STAB. The weaknesses suck, sure, but even worse to me is the risk of thawing out something or inadvertently burning something. Would be a lot cooler if it resisted Ice like it does in modern generations, but alas.
  15. Poison: Kind of awkward because there are notable Poison types in OU, but they succeed despite their Poison typing, not because of it. All it does is add Psychic and Earthquake weaknesses with no real perks or good moves. At least Fire Blast is really powerful, Sludge is just bad.

consensus is a bit idealized though, clearly at some point you just agree to disagree. i think having a general discussion period before votes is productive, and even when the votes start rolling i'm open to people changing their rankings with additional discussion though, so yeah attaching a quit blurb with each ranking is totally a welcome requirement.
yeah, consensus is pretty idealized, which is probably why the most dominant pokemon in history attempts never got finished off. voting with reasoning attached seems good, though :3
also i think what's important here is some sort of cutoff point, which is why i sorta disagree with the "each rank needs a distinct point". i feel like in a thread where we are trying to find the best types, we should never be reduced to "why something sucks less". as is what happens when we talk about bug vs fighting, pin missile vs submission on jolteon? who cares?

basically having the middle ranks be tiered in some fashion, and the lower tiers be totally ignored allows us quickly to reach a "general consensus". the top few ranks should still have distinct rating though.
i can see that, but if we're ranking types through each gen anyway, it's kind of snazzy to see how they all stack up in the end. if we're finding the best type, we might as well see what's the worst, or most average, or how x type stands up to y throughout the gens from the same discussion.
also as a preface to other rounds, stun spore is grass correct? recover is normal? etc etc? so that would make confuse ray ghost type then? or do we consider them typeless moves? it doesn't make sense to completely ignore the quintessential move in gsc: spikes.
those moves we've been ignoring as their typing doesn't affect why they're used. recover or spore or spikes could be any type and it would be just as good of a move. while typing does sometimes play a part (ground being immune to t-wave, for instance), that's more of a boon for the other typing (ground itself) than in any way boosting the typing of the move (electric in this example) in terms of how it stacks up offensively and defensively in the metagame and affects the pokemon with access to it.

yeah that formatting works for me. i'm updating, trying to step out of my gsc mindset into rby for a sec. i’m also taking into consideration that generally typeless moves will be rewarding their respective types (i.e. seismic toss = fighting).

the top 3

1. normal - snorlax, tauros, chansey. hyper beam, body slam, explosion, self destruct, recover, substitute. normal IS rby.

2. psychic - egg, zam , starmie. there's a lot more viable psychics if we start considering just passable pokemon, jynx/slowbro is better than persian. hypno's better than dodrio. on the coverage side, normals have more to work with. psychics have... just psychic. but it's a great move, 30% spc reduction completely changes matchups. because of how great it is makes psychic that much of a better type defensively. but still, the best in normal are better than the best in psychic, and it's actually not even close. psychic has to compete with the likes of body slam/hyper beam/explosion on the coverage side, which is a losing fight. normal doesn't hit anything for SE, but psychic rarely does as well. in fact, it hits for mostly nve vs at least 1/3 of your average team.

3. ice - i had water here primarily because starmie/slowbro are 1 part water and 0 parts ice. however i think i was totally underweighing how much blizzard/ice beam meant in the meta game. ice takes 3rd because of the moves alone and its ability to induce a clause on the metagame.

pretty good still

4. water - hand in hand with ice imo. being electric weak shouldnt hurt waters anymore than ice, since there are a grand total of 1 ice pokemon who’s not weak to electric. water coverage is pretty poor since it has no side effects, but hydro pump is still 120 BP of 80% acc. maybe that’s a personal bias but i’ve always liked hpump starmies.

5. ground - eq is a game shaping move. golems/rhydons being part ground imo is just as detrimental as helpful. immunity to electric is NOT worth a water/grass and notably, ice weakness. stab on eq is still good though.

starting to be mediocre

6. electric - under the new criteria where “typeless” moves are typed, twave. electric types weren’t particularly amazing but nor were they bad, electric attacks were also on a whole pretty mediocre, but enter twave. twave was the status move of rby. electric type coverage is ok, since in addition to hitting waters, it hits 3 of the top 4 ice types for se as well.

7. rocks - they resist normal. that’s about it. pretty much the only reason people run rocks. but given the explosion/sd/hyper beam threat, it was pretty important. weaknesses hurt it, as did coverage. being tied to part ground wasn’t a blessing if you were trying to use rocks defensively.

the realm of mediocrity

8. grass - egg’s carrying this type single handedly in my mind. eq resist vs ib weakness is a toss up. stunspore gets big points too much the same way twave does. sleep powder???

9. ghost - gengar is to ghost as egg is to grass. egg is better than gengar, therefore grass is better than ghost. it doesn’t make much sense, but it does. stun spore is better than confuse ray and giga drain is better than nightshade on the coverage side.

10. flying - flying as a typing doesn’t benefit anybody who’s part flying. being eq immune is almost irrelevant since rock slide is on the other half of that. you gain ice/electric weaknesses, which are arguable #2 and #3 offensive attack typings on the special side.

these are pretty bad

fire
fighting
dragon
bug
poison

For anything I don't explain here, I explain in my previous posts

1. Normal
2. Psychic
3. Ice
4. Ground - I'm switching Ice and Ground in my final vote. Ice has seen a huge rise to power recently.
5. Water
6. Electric
7. Grass
8. Rock
9. Ghost - Originally I had Ghost above Rock, but Rock Slide really is awesome
10. Flying - I've said it elsewhere, but Flying-type just drags Pokemon down; it's viable and has a great move in Drill Peck so it's better than the bottom 5, but not by too much
11. Dragon

From here ... I have such a hard time putting Poison last. But I think the consensus is there and I can get on board.

12. Bug = Fighting
14. Fire
15. Poison

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I still can't get over how everyone is penalizing Psychics because they're so good offensively that everyone uses half a team of them, making them actually not-that-good offensively because they resist each other but still being incredibly necessary defensively, yet the Normals are praised simply for being the opposite (don't resist each other, therefore technically more potent offensively and likewise less defensively). I mean, if you guys just like the top Normal mons better than the top Psychic mons that's fine but get this ass backwards reasoning out of here.

For posterity since it's not like my lone voice means shit: 1) Psychic 2) Normal 3+) dgaf

I still can't get over how everyone is penalizing Psychics because they're so good offensively that everyone uses half a team of them, making them actually not-that-good offensively because they resist each other but still being incredibly necessary defensively, yet the Normals are praised simply for being the opposite (don't resist each other, therefore technically more potent offensively and likewise less defensively). I mean, if you guys just like the top Normal mons better than the top Psychic mons that's fine but get this ass backwards reasoning out of here.

For posterity since it's not like my lone voice means shit: 1) Psychic 2) Normal 3+) dgaf
Mr E I think you have a really good point, but to me what kicks Normals above Psychic is the fact that you could actually get by WITHOUT a Psychic type - Chansey can function as your Psychic-absorbing sponge ... and Chansey is Normal! So if you want to go without Psychic, you can bring in a Normal type. I think Psychic and Normal and really close, but Normal just edges up.

I still can't get over how everyone is penalizing Psychics because they're so good offensively that everyone uses half a team of them, making them actually not-that-good offensively because they resist each other but still being incredibly necessary defensively,
i feel like this can be worded more clearly, it doesn't make that much sense in its current state. i don't think anybody is giving normals any credit for their defensive "prowess", likewise i don't think anybody is "penalizing" psychics offensively per say. but the psychic attack as a whole is pretty ass apart from the spc drop chance.

personally i think of psychic as a defensive typing still, of which it is really good. normals have arguably 3 of the best gamebreaking attacks in the game with bs, hb, and explosion/sd.

normals have the top slot for 2 reasons for me: the best mons are normal, and some of the best attacks are normal. the typing as a whole with regards to hitting se/nve against other popular types are pretty neutral, as to be expected.

psychic mons are pretty good, but not as good as normal. psychic attack is pretty average compared to the other top elements (ice beam and eq), hb/bs/explosion are clearly superior. psychic typing is great defensively, easily one of the best in the game, but that alone doesn't outweigh it losing to normals in the other categories, especially the psychic vs hb/bs/explosion coverage.

1. Normal
2. Psychic
3. Ice
4. Ground
5. Water
6. Electric
7. Rock
8. Grass
9. Ghost
10. Flying
11. Bug
12. Fighting
13. Fire
14. Dragon
15. Poison

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
the psychic attack as a whole is pretty ass apart from the spc drop chance
That's kinda like saying Thunderbolt is pretty ass apart from hitting Starmie and Slowbro super-effectively. Psychic is not much different than the elemental trio, more relevant than the 5 base power drop is the PP really, but 30% special drop is a strong secondary effect. Other than Ice freezes, only Body Slam's PAR is a match and they're not really comparable: Psychic-types would prefer the special drop anyway since they all get T-Wave (except sucky Jynx) and attack specially, while Tauros and Snorlax love the PAR since BS is their primary attack anyway and they don't get T-Wave.

As much as I like Explosion, it has a lot less relevance in RBY than future generations (well, until fucking gen 5). Eggy and Golem kinda have nothing better to do anyway or they might eschew it in favor of other options like Snorlax often does Selfdestruct. It and Hyper Beam certainly aren't "coverage" in the traditional, type-wise sense. They cover different situations I suppose. It's not irrelevant but I generally still think it's mostly between the actual mons and I'm the only one that prefers the Psychic block as a whole. Tauros is great but I just don't like Chansey and Snorlax as much as everyone else does (especially not the latter now that it doesn't bully the former).

Although I guess if you're giving them Recover, which technically is a Normal move, then Normal pretty clearly wins since it's pretty central to the staying power behind Starmie and Zam.

Tallied up the votes for best types in RBY OU, points and rankings below:
  1. Normal - 135
  2. Psychic - 126
  3. Ice - 115
  4. Ground - 105
  5. Water - 100
  6. Electric - 81
  7. Grass - 80
  8. Rock - 79
  9. Ghost - 68
  10. Flying - 56
  11. Bug - 38
  12. Fighting - 32
  13. Dragon - 30
  14. Fire - 25
  15. Poison - 13
Some fun notes: Had 1 person ranked Rock 1 higher and Electric 1 lower, both would've tied with Grass! Aside from that, the numbers seem pretty spread out. Fighting and Dragon are close, with Bug in a clear lead over both. Interesting, considering how much closer Bug and Fighting were in the actual discussions (and 3 ties in the votes). The top 3 were pretty solidified in their positions, with Ground and Water being a little closer together. Poison in dead last didn't come close to touching even Fire.

With RBY out of the way, we can now open up discussion to the best types of GSC OU!

i use to have an obsession with theme teams (see: spl ash team against mr.e). i've actually made mono-teams for each type in the past, and quite frankly it's non-representative of the following list, apart from #1.

1. normal - again the best of the best is normal. honestly given how good lax is he alone should be good enough to take this spot. but then you add stuff like miltank/blissey who are game changers in their own rights. body slam is every bit as good, and the hyper beam dominance is replaced by a buffed up double-edge and no fuss attack in return/frustration. there's a reason normal resists are mandatory

gap - as with viability list, i feel like there's a gap here.

2. electric - again, when you think of gsc you think of "snorlax and the electrics". when combined, they're every bit as centralizing as snorlax itself, defensively it's the best special typing in the game, with no weaknesses at all. hits for se against water and flying, who in their own rights are extremely popular types (albeit flying is really just skarmory and the odd charizard for all intents and purposes). jolteon's pretty good too. thunder wave is a bit of a lost move on electrics itself but the later-era of gsc brought about the popularity of thunder to spread some para-love. thunderbeam is arguably more popular than boltbeam on the likes of nidoking/dnite. the blizzard nerf makes thunder one of the best 120bp special attacks in the game (vhspa is the term i believe?). zap/kou is carrying this tier.

gap - again another gap between the two "mandatory" tiers onto more conventional levels of power.

3. ground - earthquake is probably the best "splashable" attack in the game. given the pretty big powercreep between the top two types and the rest of the "mortal" types, ground is made much more powerful with the prominence of electric mons. given the current hp legend meta, zapdos/raikou is literally on every team. without ground types, they're free to throw out thunders. having a ground type, despite not directly being a counter to zapdos persay, puts a slight halt to that. having a raikou/blissey is not enough to stop the thunder spam, so if you want to bring in a machamp or clefable or something, you want to do it against an hp ice. having ground types are the only way of forcing that. moreover, ground pokemon are pretty damn good. nidoking, steelix, and marowak are well within the conversation of best regular ou pokemon. ground types are absolutely mandatory in team building for me. eq is simply amazing coverage, and is the main reason it's the best of the three for me.

4/5. steel - defensive typing in its purest form. a normal resist is absolutely mandatory (ghosts don't count), but unlike ground types there's a substitute for its role. forretress, steelix, and skarm. the "other" spiker and the two best physical phazers. there's simply no offensive presence to speak of; i don't have a single team with iron tail/hp steel. defensively though, it's what totally shaped gsc.

5/4. water - "bulky waters" is still a thing, despite suicune having fallen off. water gets the nod for me over steel types primarily because it has a usable attack. starmie, suicune, vaporeon, and cloyster are your main players here: the best spiker, the best spinner, the best special sweeper, and the best mixed sweeper wall. suicune's fallen off recently given the rise in popularity of explosion teams, but that's actually pretty unfounded. sure you can't run suicune ON one, but suicune actually does pretty well against explosion teams. the winrate speaks for itself. surf is a usable attack, but nowhere near as good as earthquake. hp is alright too, but really only on vaporeon. water as an offensive typing is pretty mediocre.

water vs steel is totally interesting. when you think of water, you think of the water POKEMON. when you think of steel, you think of the steel TYPING. it's the one type whose association is purely on its type. you think forretress you think steel, you think skarm you think steel, and STEELix speaks for itself. no other type has the same connotation, but how much credit do you give it though? where do you draw the line? water pokemon are better than steel pokemon, water attacks are better, but steel just feels like it has a bigger impact. i could be looking too much into this though.

gap - just wanted to discuss the top 5 for now. the other typing becomes pretty average. fighting/flying both make a pretty good showing, flying type pokemon are actually especially strong, albeit not due to the flying typing -- throwback to rby. rocks are the other normal resist, but in an hp legend meta that's basically just ttar. poison pokemon are better now, and it has some defensive merit given sludge bomb/megahorn/cross chop addiiton (gengar/nido are solidly in ou, and tenta/muk are creme of the crop bl pokemon). psychic is ok, but personally if i could make egg pure grass i would. bug is ok, sorta comparable to dark for me. decent typing, but i've been perfectly fine building teams without bug/dark pokemon and bug/dark attacks.

1. Normal - Guess what type is the Pokemon in Snorlax rank. Also, Return is amazing move, and Miltank is not bad (Blissey isn't too bad either, although everything having Rest hurts it a bit).
  2. Electric - And for that matter, guess what type are Pokemons in S rank.
  3. Steel - Amazing defensive typing resisting way too much, the only reason why Skarmory and Steelix are viable.
  4. Ground - Still amazing offensively, defeating Steel types (and Raikou too, I guess). Not to say it is immune to Electric attacks (although this is a mixed bag, because electric types often carry Hidden Power Ice or Water)
  5. Water - Bulky water is a thing, despite electric types being practically mandatory (and even then they being good). Four water types are A rank, if that says something.
  6. Ghost - Immune to Normal (so they stop mono attacking Snorlax), however the typing is STILL terrible offensively (even with better moves), as it's Physical (although Game Freak confused itself about that, because Shadow Ball has chance to lower Special Defense).
  7. Dark - Who do you call when you have problems with Ghosts? Pursuit, that's right.
  8. Ice - Defeats Zapdos, Exeggutor, and nasty ground types, I guess. Hey, electric types may actually use that.
  9. Flying - Works for Skarmory and Zapdos to avoid their Ground weakness. Not so much for Dragonite, however.
  10. Fire - While rarely seen, threat of random HP Fire out of nowhere keeps Scizor out of OU. It also defeats Steel types.
  11. Grass - Doesn't care about HP Water electric types. This typing is practically just Exeggutor, but hey, it works for it.
  12. Rock - Resists Normal, I guess.
  13. Psychic - It didn't die with introduction of Dark types, but it was heavily weakened, although not enough to completely disappear from OU.
  14. Fighting - Hahahaha, no good Fighting moves to defeat the top threat - Snorlax. I guess that Machamp can play with inaccurate Cross Chop, and Gengar can use even more inaccurate than Focus Blast move - Dynamic Punch (to defeat Tyranitar, obviously).
  15. Bug - Heracross's Megahorn stops Dark and Psychic, I guess.
  16. Dragon - Has anyone seen any dragons? Bad moves, and resistances are meh (sure, resists Electric, but secondary typing is weak to Electric for all fully evolved dragons). I guess Kingdra doesn't have any real weaknesses (as Dragon type moves are terrible).
  17. Poison - While the biggest problem in Gen1 was solved (no more Psychic types spam), this types doesn't really bring any real advantages, and is still weak to Ground. Oh, and Exeggutor is still using Psychic.

Last edited:

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Blissey is actually a pretty damn good stop to Thunderspam by virtue of threatening to run it out of PP. Granted, it's not good at it from turn 1, but at 50 turns in or so it's good for metering those Thunder uses.

I think I'd put Water before Steel. Steel as a defensive typing is incredible, but Water's lack of weaknesses isn't too shabby for tanking hits either, and Water moves are actually useful. Plus, yeah, the best Water mons are definitely better than the best Steel mons.

eh i think that's a mixed bag. blissey doesn't threaten zapdos/raikou in return though, which means the ball's still in your court. blissey is pretty much one of the easiest pokemon to capitalize off of (unless it runs screens) which means your job as zapdos/raikou is still done. switching to a ground potentially gives you back control, which is a big difference. when it gets to lategame pp counting, then snorlax and even zapdos dittos can start soaking thunders.

i agree with the water bit actually, primarily because there's more usable waters than any other type. water as a type defensively is average, whereas steel is basically the snorlax of types. toxic immunity???

i'm actually more interested to see if slots 1 and 2 can be shaken up a bit. they're defaulted #1 and #2 primarily due to pokemon usage, although normal attacks are actually amazing if we count sd/explosion as normal... which we should. electrics on the other hand are more debatable.

and the more and more i think about it, #6 to like #12 is a total wash. everything is interchangeable. bug and maybe dragon might be the worst, grass is pretty poor too; i don't think sunnybeam houndoom can even lay claim to the standard houndoom set. grass is being held back heavily by the number of viable grass pokemon - 1.

psychic is pretty bad, but not the worst. psychic attack is either crucial to prevent a machamp/tenta sweep (which many teams are weak to), or totally worthless. egg gets pursuit fucked because it's psychic, as does starmie to a lesser extent by umbreon. but the average gsc team is like 3/6 or even 4/6 weak to fighting attacks, nobody likes taking crit cross chops.

poison is definitely mid pack though. sludge bomb is great, and i think toxic should count personally. tentacruel, nido, and gengar make a strong showing on the pokemon front. gengar 4x resist vs sludgebomb, nido immune to twave/thunder/toxic, tenta/nido take neutral hits from giga drain -- there's a lot going for poison.

fire and rock are two very good coverage type moves; fb/hp fire is everywhere, rockslide is everywhere. fire pokemon make a poor showing though, so would the importance of the attacks be good enough to make up ground? ice is probably in the same boat as fire.

ghosts are on the other end of the stick compared to fire. typing is pretty good, spin block is invaluable and probably the main use for it. but if the enemy really has issues with you, both ghosts are susceptible to getting pursuit fucked. ghost attacks don't really exist, albeit machamp will run the odd hp ghost every once in a while. ghost attacks are way better in ubers though, if we're counting that.

dark is pretty average. crunch is an average move that won't see use outside of ttar and raikou once hp gets banned, pursuit is a total gamechanger though. nothing else in the game functions the same way. gsc is the meta with the most switches, and pursuit is the one move that deals damage through switches, that's invaluable. it also gets rid of potential anchormons like missy. otherwise i think ttar wouldn't mind being part electric or water instead of dark or something. i think this takes my vote for being the most average.

fighting is pretty average too. fighting mons are decent (machamp/hera), fighting attacks are few BUT cross chop and dpunch paramount to gsc. the definition of high risk high reward attacks, i think it makes an EXTREMELY strong showing in the attacking department. there isn't a single gsc team that isn't susceptible to fighting moves.

flying's pretty good. probably 6th. haven't thought too much, but i don't see why not. flying type is average, flying pokemon are pretty damn good, flying attacks aren't that shabby either -- as in you see flying mons and non-flying mons both use flying moves.

so after all's said and done, seems like poison is probably pushing upper midpack for me if we can count toxic.

edit: unofficially

6. flying
7. fighting
8. dark
9. poison (if we give it points for toxic)

gap

10. ghost
11. rock
12. fire
13. psychic
14. ice

gap

15. grass
16. bug
17. dragon

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)