Monotype That's Just Cold! (Ice Monotype)

INTRODUCTION

Hello, ladies and gents! It's the middle of November! You know what that means? Since the jolly season of Winter is coming, I've decided to make an ice monotype team for the end of gen 7! Ice teams are underused from what I see, as most Ice types suffer from Fighting or Rock types. There's also not too many Ice type Pokémon to use in the Monotype tier. However, Ice Pokémon have nice diverse roles and decent coverage. This team will be based on offense and how it's handled.

THE TEAM

Focus Sash icon

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
Cloyster is the lead of the team. What makes Cloyster an interesting lead on Ice teams is easily countering Flying Types while setting up Spikes/Toxic Spikes. Shell Smash and Icicle Spear are used to cripple Pokémon (especially those who don't resist it.) No other ice type pokemon can lead like Cloyster, which is why I decided to use it.

Choice Band icon

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Superpower
Now with our lead on the team, we have the strong Mamoswine. With 130 Base Attack and Choice Band, Mamoswine can hit very hard. I like to prefer Mamoswine over Kyurem-B because of its access to Thick Fat, Ground typing and better movepool. Earthquake, Icicle Spear and Ice Shard are preferred STAB moves, and Superpower is for coverage.

Choice Specs icon

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
We have the OG Kyurem to be the special wallbreaker in the team. Like Mamoswine, Choice Specs helps boost it's power to be a reckon to teams. Earth Power and Focus Blast are both good coverage moves with Ice Beam and Draco Meteor being very strong STAB moves. Kyurem is one of the few ice pokemon that are actually good special wallbreakers, so it makes it on the team.

Choice Band icon

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick
What's the point of using offensive pokemon on an ice team if you aren't including Weavile? It's really fast with a great speed and attack stat and has great STAB moves like Mamoswine. Low Kick is situational but can do a lot of damage to heavy opponents. I also use this also Kyurem-B because of its higher speed and its also great typing/movepool.

Focus Sash icon

Jynx @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
Jynx, though fragile, is also one of few great ice type special attackers and has a unique ability in Dry Skin. Once it uses Nasty Plot, it will start to be a bigger threat to the opposing team. Z-Lovely Kiss is also an option but I prefer Focus Sash for Jynx being fragile. Ice Beam and Psychic are strong STAB moves and Focus Blast is great coverage. I used it because it's a decent special attacker. So now you get the thing going on: Lead, Physical attacker, Special Attacker, Physical Attacker, Special Attacker. We only need one more slot on the team to make usage of it.

Leftovers icon

Rotom-Frost @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Defog
Rotom Frost makes it to the last option on the team as a pivot and defogger. It also helps the team by crippling offensive Pokémon with its Will-O-Wisp. It cannot pivot out of Ground types, but the team helps counter ground types to safety. I used this because it's also a decent wall and is a very reliable pivot on an ice team.

REPLAYS
IMPORTABLE
Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Superpower
Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pickpocket
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Low Kick
Jynx @ Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
Rotom-Frost @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Defog
CONCLUSION
In conclusion, the team works better offensively when it's teammates are alive, as you can see in the replays. Setting up Spikes is important and out speeding the opposing team makes this better. They each give a unique amount of coverages and vary in different roles which make this team unique and it shouldn't be overlooked at in my opinion. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for your support!!

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK OF THE TEAM!

Last edited:

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi, I'm not someone who posts a lot in this forum but I think I have some suggestions to make your team better. I tried to make the changes based off of making a team using Defog Rotom-F as a pivot along with wallbreakers to go along with the main idea. However, I did remove Spikes.

-->

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

My first suggestion would be to replace Cloyster with Piloswine. Piloswine gives you Stealth Rock, and a good fat tank since you are using Mamoswine for its wallbreaking potential. Toxic is great for putting timers on Defog users like Rotom-W, Tornadus-T, and Zapdos that try to remove your Stealth Rock for free. I don't think Spikes stack works well with a Defog user especially when Ice typically can't afford playing with Stealth Rock up too well. You're going to be Defogging eventually, and Stealth Rock are very important, so Piloswine would be a better option over Cloyster here. Rock Slide helps against Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona, and Piloswine is actually bulky enough to counter certain threats to Ice like Nihilego consistently and live hits from powerful Special Attackers like Alolan Raichu, Mega Charizard Y, and Hydreigon.

Low Kick --> Pursuit
-->

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

My next suggestion would be to change the Weavile set up a bit. Pursuit is a lot better than Low Kick on Weavile because it lets you trap and remove huge threats to Ice teams like Victini, in particular, and lets you put in huge work in the Psychic matchup. Life Orb is also better here, seeing as you have Mamoswine as a physical wallbreaker, Weavile enjoys its ability to switch between its moves so it doesn't have to switch out if it locks itself into something that's not useful at the moment.

-->

Ninetales-Alola @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Aurora Veil

My last suggestion would be to replace Jynx with a Choice Scarf Ninetales. Choice Scarf Ninetales is a good option for speed control, which means it can outspeeding faster threats like Mega Lopunny and Automotize Celesteela after a boost that Ice teams hate dealing with. Having Aurora Veil on a Choice Scarf set seems a bit weird but it can be useful at times to get off an emergency Aurora Veil off. This is a good way to fix up the problem of speed control on this team, while Jynx's awful physical bulk and mediocre speed leaves much to be desired for it to be considered a reliable setup sweeper, even with Nasty Plot.

And thats all! With these changes, I tried to focus on the idea of the team which was to use Rotom-F as a Defog user and pivot and bring in wallbreakers like Kyurem and Mamoswine to break down the opposition. Ice teams in general struggle with the vast majority of the Monotype metagame in SM because of its bad defensive typing, but I do hope that you have fun with this team. Here is the final team with the changes, if you have any questions, feel free to pm me on Discord as Decem #8776, or on Smogon and Pokemon Showdown.

Piloswine @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Atk / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Ninetales-Alola @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Aurora Veil

Rotom-Frost @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Defog

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)