Metagame Terastallization Tiering Discussion [ UPDATE POST #1293]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needlessly rude, it's at the very least a measure of how a large casual audience feels. Which I agree isn't super relevant to how tiering should be done but there's no reason to shit on one of the most dedicated content creators
'Isn't super relevant' is a generous descriptor. Random, casual polls from external sources with no effective way to verify the veracity of the votes are essentially meaningless to the discussion at hand, I think. Casual or general reception external to smogon regarding terrastalisation shouldn't be factored in, and I believe that the inclusion of these polls is actually damaging to the discussion at hand, partly due to derailment (as the inclusion of such data risks becoming a focal point of subsequent discussion) and partly because it serves no purpose unless the intention is argumentum ad populum, which...no.

That being said, I realise I've been somewhat guilty of feeding into the former with this post. I'm currently 'on the fence' with Terastallization as a whole and will refrain from posting again until I have something more substantial to share that hasn't already been said. I would subjectively prefer Tera to remain, but if it must be gone for the sake of competitive health, then so be it.

Edit: Case in point.

Last edited:
banning tera on certain mons is a system that has been tried by SS ubers.... but has failed since the mechanic is still broken as a result... and trying to hold onto it just makes the meta worse as a result and trying to make it complex as hell.
I disagree that the mechanic is broken at all. At worst a few mons are able to really abuse it, while it just opens up the level of creativity in teambuilding and sets a lot. It makes a more diverse metagame, which is healthy for the game.

It's fairly easy to read when someone is going to Tera, and what they're going to Tera into already. The issues people have with the mechanic almost exclusively stem from a lack of familiarity with it or from a couple mons that abuse it.

i think yall misinterpreted, i wasnt saying to take the word of 1034 ELO youtube commentor beasts as gospel, more that it's shitty to basically dismiss a dedicated content creator as skillless, I don't even watch freezai

aaaanyway, this thread has become the fuckin trenches. I think that whatever decision is made about Terrastalization, the meta is going to swing a ton when HOME/the old legendaries are inevitably brought back into the game. We should be ready for Terrastal to be a big point of discussion for a while, barring a complete ban soon which doesn't seem super likely

One particularly problematic point with Terastallization is its potential to create 50/50 (i.e., you try to bring an offensive answer to say a boosted threat or whatever, and said threat randomly survives by changing its type). Since we're already discussing quite complex solutions/bans to Tera like "decide which mon you Tera at team preview", I would like to suggest this one:

You can only Terastallize a pokemon on the first turn it is brought out/uses a move during a match.
(Examples:
"first turn it is brought out": if you first bring out Chi-Yu on turn 7, you should Terastallize it on turn 8, or never.
"first turn it uses a move": if you first bring out Chi-Yu on turn 7, and then double switch on turn 8, it can still Tera later. But if you click any move on turn 8, it should Tera now or never.)

In other words, you cannot boost and then terastallize your way out of a check; you have to commit to it as soon you start using a pokemon. It would be somewhat confusing for new players (but no less than "you have to choose the mon you will tera during team preview"), but it would still somewhat respect the idea behind Terastallization (better than "you may only tera to one of your original types"). And it removes the problem of knowing "when" something will Terastallize.

My own two cents: Tera is stupid and needs to be banned. There is nothing more than that, thank you.

In all seriousness, I very strongly dislike the effect this generational gimmick has on the meta. I know Finchinator mentioned that his job is becoming more muddied and that lines of tiering are being somewhat obscured, but the consistent force that Smogon is based in is the idea of competitiveness. The idea that the better player often wins based on skill, and Tera just isn't based on skill as it currently is, especially with all these blatantly busted mons running around. One could argue that you could nerf it and maybe it could be somewhat balanced, but It think fundamentally changing a generational gimmick that isn't even that centrally tied to the game aside from acting as Hidden Power on steroids is a little bit of a stretch. The idea that we'd throw away decades of conventional wisdom for the idea of "fun" over a competitive nature is also highly asinine. Smogon garnered early attention because of the idea of competitiveness, not necessarily because of fun purely. When you are willing to not only toss around the thought that "fun" should be a strict inclusion in tiering, let alone install it, you've unleashed an idea that is fundamentally un-Smogon. Therefore, if you allow for those ideas you tear down important fundamentals and just use Smogon as a husk to install unstable methods of tiering into. The discussion is there to be had, certainly, but never to be acted on.

That's part of the reason I understand that Tera will, regardless of nerfs or limits, still be banned. It's just that: stupid and broken.
I believe the opposite; Tera is a breath of fresh air to the meta. I still do not see any uncompetitive aspects of it, the better player still wins in most cases. Tera is not based around luck at all and that is the biggest point in it's favor. I said previously that it adds another layer to team building, and as the meta is developing, standardization of tera types is starting to develop.

As for your concern about "blatantly busted mons" in the tier, is that not a problem for that specific mon and not for Tera as a whole, all banworthy pokemon still need a suspect, Tera or not. (On the radar mons)

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
i think yall misinterpreted, i wasnt saying to take the word of 1034 ELO youtube commentor beasts as gospel, more that it's shitty to basically dismiss a dedicated content creator as skillless, I don't even watch freezai

aaaanyway, this thread has become the fuckin trenches. I think that whatever decision is made about Terrastalization, the meta is going to swing a ton when HOME/the old legendaries are inevitably brought back into the game. We should be ready for Terrastal to be a big point of discussion for a while, barring a complete ban soon which doesn't seem super likely

I'm glad that someone else sees this too. I think I pointed this out in an earlier post as well — whatever direction the terastal decision goes it's ultimately going to be a big roadmap going forward because GameFreak will inevitably chuck out another controversial gimmick. I'm really thinking at this point whatever decision happens will just end up being put back into discussion hell again (and I hope I'm wrong about this). Can't say I envy the council for having to think this through regardless of stance... good luck y'all!

One particularly problematic point with Terastallization is its potential to create 50/50 (i.e., you try to bring an offensive answer to say a boosted threat or whatever, and said threat randomly survives by changing its type). Since we're already discussing quite complex solutions/bans to Tera like "decide which mon you Tera at team preview", I would like to suggest this one:

You can only Terastallize a pokemon on the first turn it is brought out/uses a move during a match.
(Examples:
"first turn it is brought out": if you first bring out Chi-Yu on turn 7, you should Terastallize it on turn 8, or never.
"first turn it uses a move": if you first bring out Chi-Yu on turn 7, and then double switch on turn 8, it can still Tera later. But if you click any move on turn 8, it should Tera now or never.)

In other words, you cannot boost and then terastallize your way out of a check; you have to commit to it as soon you start using a pokemon. It would be somewhat confusing for new players (but no less than "you have to choose the mon you will tera during team preview"), but it would still somewhat respect the idea behind Terastallization (better than "you may only tera to one of your original types"). And it removes the problem of knowing "when" something will Terastallize.
That's not randomly changing type, that's someone choosing a type that covers a weakness for their team, and using it strategically.

If we went for that solution, a better idea would be the first turn its out, resetting when it swaps, or just not allowing Tera+setup moves.

Honestly it's significantly less split than it first appears. I don't have to add to the discussion as others, such as Storm Zone, have explained my stance better than I could, but beyond a rather limited amount of people on the Smogon forums, the vast majority of people are pro tera. Even when you look into this very thread, you can see a very large divide between pro tera opinions and their reception compared to anti teraftakes
Hello, I apologize for creating an account solely to reply to this one post, specially as someone with no defined opinion on the matter. But this is genuinely wrong, pardon me for being human and maybe making count mistakes as I did it all manually, but in the 38 pages of the thread, it seems that the opinion is mostly 30/30/30 between team preview/full ban/no restriction, I apologize for naming people, but proper count is here if anyone wants it (Sorry if someone changed their stance or I did not catch onto your feelings, I can't account for that):

172 opinions, divided in:

55 No Restriction
47 Ban
36 Only Team Preview
16 Only Limiting Users
13 Team Preview and Additional Restrictions
7 too many Basketball related posts
3 Only STAB Tera
2 Only non-STAB Tera

So, at least by my calcs, it seems very equally split. But to not just make this post only about this, it seems that "Tera ladder" and "Item clause" (Requiring an Item to tera) are some fairly popular opinions (Although I forgot to account for them), and I would like to know if these options are on the table. I also find it rather interesting how "No Restriction" seems to only have caught on moderately late in the thread, regardless, this is all, thanks for reading my useless data!

Last edited:
Do not ban Tera, its balanced and most of the issues ppl complain are more about on the radar mons.

50/50s are not new to Pokemon, move usage and sets for example can easily become 50/50 and nobody thinks its uncompetitive.

Tera as many have said is a strategic mechanic that brings a lot more depth and strategy to teambuilding, battle decision making and result variability. Its allows for unfavorable match ups to become a lot more manageable if prepped properly and used wisely, as such it makes games less predictable and gives a lot of depth.

Tera can and WILL win u games, but it can also lose them. Terastilizing more often than not means gaining a new weakness or losing some resistances which the opponent can often capitalize on. Examples: Tera fire Chi Yu dying to Sucker punch a lot more easily or tera normal Dragonite getting 1-2 shot by Tusks or Body press mons.

Ppl still need to adapt, learn, many mons to be released, some bans might eventually happen (ChiYu, Annihilape, Dondozo).

The most sane option is to see how it plays out as its overall a very healthy, mechanic. When my opponent terastilizes and surprises me and maybe even wins the game, i dont feel cheated like i do when i miss the hydropump or get crited, i feel proud of my opponent for catching me offguard with such a nice Tech.

In short. Let it be, at least for the next 3-6 months, Tera is great, most people complaining are either conservatives or a skill/experience issue imo.

Currently im playing at around 1600 Elo testing stuff, not high but def shows that i know what i talk about.

Last edited:
Why did this thread turn into ad hominem: the sequel. Can you guys discuss stuff without trying to do epic takedowns of each other

I've been playing more, I'm not a high elo player so idk how useful this info is, but I feel like tera is becoming easier to manage. I havent had many issues with playing around annihilape, roaring moon or gholdengo tera, as long as I respect the possibility of it. My teambuilding isnt good and I'll prob switch to pre made teams soon but even then I've been able to hold myself nicely. Tera stopped surprise ko'ing my pokemon after a while, unless its really random, and I dont think I ever lost to a random suboptimal tera.

Tbh the mon that annoys me the most rn is nacl but it kinda annoys me the same no matter if its tera or not. That thing just refuses to die. Saw a diabolical ttar nacl team on ladder and I almost wanted to forfeit on team preview.
Roaring moon and dnite are easier to deal with for me, ape too. I don't find then super problematic.

172 opinions, divided in:

55 No Restriction
47 Ban
36 Only Team Preview
16 Only Limiting Users
13 Team Preview and Additional Restrictions
7 too many Basketball related posts
3 Only STAB Tera
2 Only non-STAB Tera
... So there are 47 people that want it banned compared to 125 people that don't want it banned?

I appreciate your work but honestly just proved my point better than I ever could

... So there are 47 people that want it banned compared to 125 people that don't want it banned?

I appreciate your work but honestly just proved my point better than I ever could
I could just as easily spin it as "Oh, 55 people want it banned, but 110 people want it restricted? Hmm, something doesn't add up here...". The point of restrictions is that they're a middleground for people who think certain parts of the mechanic are broken, while other parts are not.

Can we not dilute our arguments to “oh well we get more likes and you don’t therefore your argument is wrong haha”? I’d prefer if we actually had a debate about this instead of half-assed arguments from both sides. I’ll just extend this post with some tera ban arguments:

Ok, yeah, sure, if we ban some stuff from OU like Roaring Moon, that would stop the problem a bit. But hey, Dragonite is right there, too! And if we ban Dragonite, who’s to say we can’t just spam Baxcalibur? With Baxcalibur gone, just use Garchomp and we’ll be fine! Suddenly, like 60% of OU is banned, and it’s all because of one thing: Tera makes them way too fuckin’ strong. I’m not saying that any of these examples are outright broken, of course not, but I think they all easily have potential to be broken when you factor in Tera’s double STAB boost or a free 3rd STAB on their coverage move like Earthquake or whatever. Defensively, it’s also horrifying on bulky sweepers. Your Volcarona answer is great until it goes Tera Water, sets up a million Quiver Dances, and sweeps you. You can handle Annihilape fine, but then it goes Tera Steel and just rips you open with Rage Fist. You got your fighting in on a Garganacl, great work! But now it’s gonna Tera Fairy and set up a billion IDefs. Of course, you could Tera defensively to stop them, but that can easily come back to bite your ass later when you don’t have a Tera to stop the OTHER sweeper. In total, here’s all the mons I think are broken or have potential to be broken with Tera:
:annihilape: Annihilape
:roaring-moon: Roaring Moon
:chi-yu: Chi-Yu
:dragonite: Dragonite
:garganacl: Garganacl
:chien-pao: Chien-Pao
:volcarona: Volcarona
:iron-valiant: Iron Valiant
If you think we should just ban these instead of banning the mechanic, that’s great, think how you’d like. But to me, banning 7 Pokémon when there’s one root cause to them being broken is just too much.
can we stop making bullshit slippery slope arguments that make no sense and are relatively demeaning

slippery slope is, by definition, a fallacy. if you want people to take the debate gloves off, here's the facts we have:

there is no evidence that terastilization is making the worse player win more than say, gen 8

there is no evidence that terastilization is a mechanic that would make many more pokemon that wouldn't be broken before, broken

there is no evidence that terastilization has centralized the meta

as stated at the beginning of all of these types of threads on Smogon, the onus is on those who want something banned/restricted in order to prove that the mechanic/pokemon/item in question should/must be banned or restricted.

there has been no real proof given by the anti-tera side of the argument besides hypotheticals (often times silly) or a fallacy, a literal fallacy.

there has been many replays, arguments and retorts by tournament/top ladder players that indicate that highly experienced players don't as a whole want a ban

there have been more of said posts with more likes than the opposite side

the argument of "uncompetitiveness" in this thread has entirely been an argument on "vibes" rather than anything tangible, while there are many examples of the opposite side.

In conclusion: from a debate perspective, if we were to take the thread as a whole?

you'd probably have at best the conclusion of restriction, nothing close to the ban argument

there's this really funny fallacy I always see all over these threads and it's the idea that "competitiveness is not subjective"

just saying that something is uncompetitive because an interaction is possible in the game is not an objective statement

it's also not indicative of any deeper meaning.

it's only indicative that that play might be arguably uncompetitive in a vacuum, nothing about an actual 6v6 game unless proven with replays, data, more deeper analysis.

there is no evidence that terastilization is making the worse player win more than say, gen 8

there is no evidence that terastilization is a mechanic that would make many more pokemon that wouldn't be broken before, broken

Where is your evidence that any of these takes are true?

Gonna edit in some evidence of my own, but I didn’t want to let a post as toxic as this one just sit and fester.

edit is now in

Point 1 is unprovable as of right now so it can be discarded.

Point 2 is provably wrong. Just because no tiering action has been taken on mons like Dragonite, Roaring Moon, and Chi-Yu yet doesn’t make them balanced.

And we have usage stats out, so idk where you’re going with Point 3. Roaring Moon at #8? You think that would’ve happened in a no-Tera meta? How about Dragonite at #27, higher than mons like Dondozo and Ting-Lu? How about literally every argument about running specific defensive Tera types in order to answer offensive Tera mons? Arguing about how ‘centralizing’ it is can be difficult, but I can at least say with absolute certainty that it has had a MASSIVE impact on the meta.

Also y’all know where you can put this argument. To whoever said this first and put it in people’s minds as a legitimate point in pro-Tera’s favor, I hope the next time you try to microwave something it freezes.

Last edited:
Where is your evidence that any of these takes are true?

Gonna edit in some evidence of my own, but I didn’t want to let a post as toxic as this one just sit and fester.
it's not my job to be the CEO of Pro-Tera, pointing out that said posts exists and that you can look at them is enough

my job is not to sit here as you essentially vent about how tera is killing your babies (pokemon with crazy stats and abilities) while half of the anti-tera arguments start with "Terastilization is really fun"

can we stop making bullshit slippery slope arguments that make no sense and are relatively demeaning

slippery slope is, by definition, a fallacy. if you want people to take the debate gloves off, here's the facts we have:

as stated at the beginning of all of these types of threads on Smogon, the onus is on those who want something banned/restricted in order to prove that the mechanic/pokemon/item in question should/must be banned or restricted.

there has been no real proof given by the anti-tera side of the argument besides hypotheticals (often times silly) or a fallacy, a literal fallacy.

there has been many replays, arguments and retorts by tournament/top ladder players that indicate that highly experienced players don't as a whole want a ban

the argument of "uncompetitiveness" in this thread has entirely been an argument on "vibes" rather than anything tangible, while there are many examples of the opposite side.

In conclusion: from a debate perspective, if we were to take the thread as a whole?

you'd probably have at best the conclusion of restriction, nothing close to the ban argument

there's this really funny fallacy I always see all over these threads and it's the idea that "competitiveness is not subjective"

just saying that something is uncompetitive because an interaction is possible in the game is not an objective statement

it's also not indicative of any deeper meaning.

it's only indicative that that play might be arguably uncompetitive in a vacuum, nothing about an actual 6v6 game unless proven with replays, data, more deeper analysis.
take a nap bro jesus christ, its incredible how consistently toxic you've been in this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)