Programming Team Validator for Unofficial Formats

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A while back I was talking with cool user Akir about the problem of players bringing illegal Pokemon to matches for formats that aren't recognized by the PS teambuilder, like past gen PU. To try to help solve that problem, I've thrown together a little tool that will let you create an arbitrary banlist, share it, and have players copy-paste their teams into it to make sure they aren't bringing anything illegal.

https://honko.github.io/team-validator/

It's pretty straightforward. You put your list of bans in the top box, each separated by commas. If you want to share your banlist, hit the "Generate Permalink" button to get a link you can share that will have your banlist pre-populated. Then paste your team in the bottom box and hit "Validate" to check if anything from the banlist appears on your team.

This is already being used for past gen PU and past gen ZU, and I could see it potentially being useful for other OMs or even one-off tournaments with unusual banlists like "all your Pokemon must be blue" or "all moves and items introduced after Gen 5 are banned".

A few notes/caveats:
  • It's ugly.
  • It doesn't spellcheck. If you misspell something in your banlist, it's not going to warn you.
  • It's basically a glorified Ctrl+F. This means, for example, that if you ban Thunder, the tool will complain about teams that have Thunderbolt, because it's not doing anything fancier than checking if any of the banned strings appear anywhere in the team box.
  • I'm probably never going to get around to improving it. If anyone wants to take this as a proof of concept and build a much smarter and prettier version, you are welcome to do so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)