TANGELA AND YANMA ARE BANNED

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Pokebank officially "happened" even with the problems, and as such I feel comfortable starting this thread! This is our first official suspect thread (one where someone who isn't me votes!), though as you can see, it does not really suit the suspect policy that I imagined. After discussion, we realized there was no point in a suspect ladder when the things we are suspecting are really...obvious. Tangela is strong as hell, bulky as hell, versatile as hell, and really really annoying. Yanma is an excellent sweeper, hits hard as hell, and is reallllly annoying with Hypnosis + Compoundeyes. Basically, these things are unanimous suspects, and as such I'm just picking them.

This is what's happening in this thread. I've chosen the suspects that everyone in the community would have. We are going to have intense discussion in this thread regarding them staying or leaving the tier. After the arbitrary amount of time, I will select seven members to vote (myself excluded). macle will be a voting member, so really, I'll be choosing six members. These seven members will vote on each suspect, and if there's a majority for ban, they're going to be kicked out. These members will also be my original council. Future suspect tests will follow my original process (suspect ladder, people who qualify can vote on what gets suspected, suspect discussion thread, 7 member council + 4 people chosen from discussion thread get to vote on it...more information can be found here).

Just like the Sneasel thread, discuss these questions:

1) Is Tangela / Yanma broken?
2) Is Tangela / Yanma making Little Cup not fun?
3) Is a combination of 1 and 2 deterring individuals from playing Little Cup?

If 1 is satisfied, then 2 and 3 don't matter. If 1 is not satisfied, then the latter qualities in tandem might be worth banning it.

DISCUSS AWAY. Post in this thread with as many (good) replays as you want, explanations of Tangela / Yanma as to whether it is broken or not, or your defense for it. Use Tangela / Yanma's stats and qualities as a basis for your arguments--I do not want to see posts that end at "Tangela and Yanma are really strong" Well made posts outlining your reasoning, well made responses to other people's posts, and just overall discussion in this thread is going to be very much taken into consideration when I decide the original Little Cup Council.

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I've waited patiently for this, as well as many others, I'm sure. I believe that Tangela and Yanma are both broken and unhealthy for XY Little Cup, and as there are two Pokemon being suspected in this thread, each with their own qualities that affect battling and teambuilding in their own way, I will be covering them separately and picking them apart in great detail.

Before I get into why I believe these two are broken, I'd like to express that I've overheard more than a few users in the LC community saying that this suspecting of whether Tangela and Yanma are broken or not is a direct aftereffect of Sneasel being banned from the tier, and that this will apparently continue in a chain as newer threats rise to power. While I am not for suppressing the thoughts of any user who would like to express themselves here, I strongly encourage that we stay on topic and keep Tangela and Yanma the main focus. Sneasel is no longer a factor at all and the threats these two Pokemon pose individually are completely different stories. More bluntly put, listing Sneasel's ban as a reason why Tangela and Yanma are now under suspecting presents a poor argument that offers nothing relevant to the status quo no matter how it is phrased. Moving on.

Tangela
Type: Grass
Abilities: Chlorophyll, Leaf Guard, Regenerator
Base stats: 65 HP / 55 Atk / 115 Def / 100 SpA / 40 SpD / 60 Spe

Tangela is an extraordinarily potent force in XY Little Cup. It has outstanding physical bulk, insane special offense, and some cool moves in its arsenal that complement these qualities very well. A buff it got this generation along with the rest of the Grass-types is that it is completely immune to Spore and other powder-based moves, which is awesome and prevents Grass vs Grass status fests. Having 2 base stats at 100 or above in Little Cup is practically unheard of and this fact alone presents Tangela as a formidable threat even at just a glance. Sub-par special bulk and middling Speed are a bit of a letdown for Tangela, but these apparent flaws are not enough to balance it out. Let's take a closer look at the many ways Tangela can overwhelm its enemies.

Chlorophyll Tangela

Tangela @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Level: 5
EVs: 196 SAtk / 116 SDef / 196 Spd
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam / Giga Drain
- Ancient Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Tangela itself isn't nearly as broken as Tangela used in tandem with Sun. Vulpix was unbanned along with Tangela, which resulted in the return of the auto-sunlight needed to patch up Tangela's mediocre Speed. Reaching a Special Attack stat of 20, Tangela can already dish out extreme pain with its STAB Solar Beam and coverage, and with a Life Orb equipped, it basically OHKOs or 2HKOs almost everything in the game without requiring hazard damage. The Rock-type coverage provided by Ancient Power hits 4 of the 5 types that Grass is weak to (Bug, Fire, Flying, Ice) for super effective damage, making Tangela incredibly hard to wall. Even though Hidden Power suffered a base power drop to 60 this generation, the fact that Chlorophyll Tangela operates under Sun mitigates this by having its power increased due to it being Fire-type, and this burns holes in the Steel-types that wall both Solar Beam and Ancient Power. With this incredible offensive power and coverage, almost nothing can switch in to check (you can pretty much forget countering it) Tangela without being obliterated, and just in case you think you have found a way around it, it has Sleep Powder to put your would-be check out of commission. It simply cannot be stopped; even Speed Boost Yanma and Carvanha would have to risk successfully using Protect twice in a row to have any chance of outspeeding it in Sun and getting a move off. The EV spread here can be shifted around to suit the player if needed and Giga Drain can be used over Solar Beam for more survivability, though the drop in power is very significant; either way, the fact still remains that Tangela is in a league of its own and wields the power of a wrathful god under sunlight. One might say that Tangela's power in Sun is "nerfed" now that Drought is limited to 5 turns (8 turns with Heat Rock), but let's be honest: 5 turns is all Tangela needs to wreak enough havoc to call it good game. Below are some calculations that reflect just how overpowered Tangela is:

Eviolite Spritzee with the "standard" EV spread designed to handle Bullet Punch Meditite cannot switch in at full health without dying:

196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Solar Beam vs. 212 HP / 76 SpD Eviolite Spritzee: 17-21 (62.9 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Eviolite Lickitung with maximum possible special bulk cannot switch in at full health without dying:

196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Solar Beam vs. 236 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Lickitung: 13-17 (46.4 - 60.7%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO

Eviolite Misdreavus with maximum possible special bulk cannot switch in at full health without dying:

196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Solar Beam vs. 196 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 13-17 (52 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

We can list calculations of special walls trying to put up with this thing all day. It's insane. And if you happen to bring in a Grass resist to try to get in safely, Ancient Power slams the Bug-, Fire-, and Flying-types for super effective damage, and HP Fire gets a hard hit on the Grass- and Steel-types that also resist Grass. For anything you bring in that Tangela can't 2HKO or hit hard super effectively, it's going to sleep. It can be argued that Berry Juice can allow for some bulky mons to come in, take a hit, and gain all their health back, while Eviolite doesn't provide that kind of security. While this is true, it needs to be stressed that Berry Juice is a single-use item and a well-played Tangela remains a consistent threat well after your Berry Juice is consumed, not to mention its Speed in Sun is enough to outspeed even the vast majority of Scarfers... But Tangela doesn't even need Sun to be broken, which brings me to my next point.

Leaf Storm Regenerator Tangela

Tangela @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 SAtk / 196 Spd / 116 SDef
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Ancient Power
- Knock Off
- Sleep Powder

This set functions similarly to the Chlorophyll set; the sacrifice is less Speed, but the trade-off is even more power and survivability, without relying on Sun. Leaf Storm Regenerator Tangela is the epitome of hardcore hit-and-run in XY Little Cup. You fire off a powerful STAB Leaf Storm, and switch out unless you want to remove an item with Knock Off or put something to sleep with Sleep Powder. Switching out with this set accomplishes three things. It removes the Special Attack drop brought on by using Leaf Storm, it gets Tangela away from harm (especially if the opponent happened to bring in a faster potential check), and it restores health that may have been lost on the turn Leaf Storm was used or whenever you got hit. Tangela without Sun tends to force a lot of switches, as it's deemed less threatening and easier to check, so Knock Off is there to punish incoming Pokemon. It basically comes in, kills everything, switches out to lose the stat drops and regain health, and then comes back in to continue killing everything, and the cycle repeats in that fashion. Tangela's new-found immunity to Spore and Stun Spore means that Foongus can't do much to it despite the type advantage it has. It's a regenerating torture machine that is incredibly hard to deal with because it just does not die. Calculations shouldn't be necessary to provide for this set since Leaf Storm does even more damage than Solar Beam and the same offensive spread and item were used in both sets.

The only thing I have found that checks the hell out of Tangela (as well as Vulpix and to an extent Yanma) and completely turns it the other way in annoyance is this:

Goomy @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 236 SAtk / 240 SDef
Calm Nature
- Dragon Breath
- Sludge Bomb
- Rain Dance
- Hidden Power [Rock]

This is THE Tangela answer. It laughs at Tangela's Grass STAB moves and Sleep Powder (it doesn't need the Attack boost from Sap Sipper; the Grass immunity is more than enough), resists HP Fire, tanks Ancient Power, and gets rid of Sun by way of Rain Dance. It also often paralyzes Pokemon on the switch-in with Dragon Breath as Tangela gets mad and escapes. While this is a pretty cool check, it doesn't last forever, and the ONLY thing it does in the relevant metagame is mess with Tangela. It literally cannot do anything else effectively, and players shouldn't have to resort to using obscure Pokemon like this in order to get around a threat. You know it's a problem when you have to use a whole teamslot JUST to deal with one threat and has no other purpose at all. Other mons that do an okay job (not as good as this thing but still) at walling Tangela are maximum Special Defense Vullaby and RestTalk Munchlax, but they're shaky checks at best and must be at full health with no Stealth Rock down to even have a chance of coming out on top.

Additional Comments

It might be argued that there are many ways to stop Chlorophyll Tangela since Sun is not the only auto-weather in XY Little Cup. This is true, but nothing on typical Sand teams can deal with Tangela as they are at an obvious type disadvantage; the best chance they have is getting Lileep to try and tank Tangela's attacks while being immune to Sleep Powder, and try to stall Tangela out with Recover and Toxic. Hail is totally annihilated by Sun for obvious reasons, and the best chance Hail players have is getting a Blizzard off on Tangela with Scarf Snover, an obvious play that can be easily switched out of and will often give Vulpix a free kill or otherwise free move... Even if you predict correctly and go for HP Rock, that isn't enough to come close to killing Vulpix, and the whole situation is very risky. Unfortunately, there are no auto-Rain inducers in the tier. There are Prankster carriers (Cottonee, Murkrow, and Riolu) that get Rain Dance, but this is often impractical and honestly very gimmicky, especially considering that Vulpix can just bring Sun back effortlessly later on without using up a turn. For laughs, Tangela also has access to Growth, which takes Tangela's offensive capabilities to rape tier if you're that kind of asshole and you're willing to use up a moveslot and a Sun turn to get the +2 boost to both offenses (some of you might think this is a dumb idea but I've seen it done and I saw the opponent become completely helpless even though he/she had resists; the player never even got to attack again). And if any player is lucky enough to get the Ancient Power boost while using Tangela, it's pretty much over, and people who play XY Little Cup know this happens a good deal more often than 10% implies.

1) Is Tangela broken?

Absolutely. I find that Tangela is very unhealthy for the metagame due to its overwhelming offensive power, its doubled Speed in Sun in the case of the Chlorophyll set, and its god-like survivability in the case of its Leaf Storm Regenerator set. The fact that so little can stand a chance against it inherently restricts teambuilding quite a lot, which in turn hurts the variety of Little Cup by forcing players to use the same team members over and over to have any chance of winning if they are to encounter Tangela.

2) Is Tangela making Little Cup not fun?

A subjective question to which I have a subjective but reasonable response. I understand that there are players in this community who have fun using Tangela because it's so strong and it dismantles everything, but for the people who are actually creative and like the challenge of having to think about situations in battle, overpowered mons like this are not a good thing for the metagame. I don't mean any offense by this, but you are a bad player if you absolutely have to take advantage of overpowered shit in a tier in order to have fun. I feel that it contributes to the problem rather than actually giving other players and other Pokemon a chance. In my humble opinion, winning a match with a Tangela sweep has no real sense of accomplishment because anyone can do that and it requires little effort. Like, whoop-de-doo, you swept with Tangela. I never saw THAT coming.

If they're not losing to Tangela, they have it on like every team. I feel this creates a scenario where you are either limited by the metagame's unhealthiness (caused by Tangela) or you are contributing to it being unhealthy by abusing it. I know that a lot of people also feel like this, they just put it into simpler words when describing it. It's been pissing people off for a while now, and while I can't concretely state that Tangela is deterring individuals from playing Little Cup, it has probably crossed their minds more than once for the reasons I've touched on; I wouldn't put it past them.

Yanma
Type: Bug / Flying
Abilities: Speed Boost, Compound Eyes, Frisk
Base stats: 65 HP / 65 Atk / 45 Def / 75 SpA / 45 SpD / 95 Spe

Yanma is a very fast threat with STABs that hit a large part of the relevant metagame for hard super effective damage. A new buff Yanma got this generation is that its STAB Bug Buzz attack ignores Substitutes, making it a lot easier to rack up Speed with its Speed Boost ability and kill off other setup Pokemon even if they have a Substitute up. Even if Yanma opts to run an ability other than Speed Boost, it still reaches a comfortable 20 Speed stat, a level surpassed by nothing in the tier under usual conditions, with only a few mons like Elekid, Diglett, and Voltorb tying with it. Yanma does have its drawbacks, as Bug/Flying is not the best typing in the world defensively, it has pretty pitiful bulk, and a painful 4x weakness to Stealth Rock that strips away half of its health every time it enters battle. However, these shortcomings are not enough to limit Yanma's offensive potency and utility to the point that it isn't a looming problem for the rest of the tier.

Speed Boost Yanma

Yanma @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 36 HP / 236 SAtk / 236 Spd
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain / Protect
- Substitute / Protect / Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ice]

With hazard support and/or something to keep Stealth Rock off its team's side of the battlefield, Yanma is truly a terror to face. Bug/Flying STABs have surprisingly awesome coverage in XY Little Cup, with a hefty 30% flinch chance affixed to STAB Air Slash to boot, and the high Speed to take advantage of it. With this set, Yanma becomes more impossible to outspeed with every turn; just about everything in the tier can give up trying after it gets one Speed Boost. In addition to posing a deadly threat to other speedy offensively based mons such as Carvanha, it is also capable of mowing down important walls in the tier like Slowpoke and Foongus, as well as breaking down bulky offense Pokemon such as Mienfoo and Croagunk. Giga Drain is used as coverage as well as to finish off weakened mons while restoring health lost to Life Orb recoil. The only priority attacks that Yanma is weak to are Fletchling's Gale Wings Acrobatics and Ice Shard, which no relevant Pokemon in the game has access to bar Shellder, so attempts to revenge a decently healthy Yanma are easy to see coming and can be responded to with appropriate switches. If it is weakened enough to be comfortably taken down by a different priority move, the Life Orb recoil that brought Yanma down to that range is a likely indicator that it has ravaged the opponent's team already.

To see exactly what Speed Boost Yanma is capable of, click here.

Outspeeding Yanma is more rare than finding an iss post in the XY Little Cup forums. And if you DO manage to take an Air Slash from it, you have to pray that it doesn't flinch you (Air Slash's flinch chance is equal to Scald's burn rate and Focus Blast's miss rate, so good luck there). When it comes to cleaning up weakened teams mid-game or late-game, Yanma annihilates everything without caring about the Speed of its enemies or any Substitutes they may have up. Some might think that the key to Yanma's prowess is only in its Speed, but it has other ways of exerting its brokenness in the tier without having to boost its Speed, which brings me to my next point:

Compound Eyes Hypnosis Yanma

Yanma @ Berry Juice
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 236 Spd / 236 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Hypnosis
- U-turn
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash

Everyone knows Hypnosis has horribly unreliable accuracy and that it's always been that way. Well, Yanma happens to have just the ability to make it usable in competitive play, Compound Eyes (raises accuracy of moves by 30%). Putting a Pokemon to sleep isn't all that broken, that happens all the time, right? Yanma takes sleep advantage to a new level by using U-turn; if the foe stays in, Yanma can U-turn out to a setup mon and take advantage of the sleeping enemy who is unable to act... if the foe switches out, Yanma can deal light damage to the incoming foe (breaking Sash, Sturdy, Air Balloon, etc.) and then bring in a check or counter to it with no downside at all. The fact that Yanma is already at 20 Speed with this set means that it can forcibly shift momentum at any time by going first and putting the enemy to sleep with an accuracy-boosted Hypnosis so that they don't get to have a turn before Yanma goes for the U-turn directly afterward. This creates a pretty unfair disadvantage that is very hard to avoid since Yanma outspeeds 99% of the tier, and it requires no thinking or prediction to pull off. This is definitely broken. The only way to stop this outside of Natu (easy to predict around) is to run one of a select few mons to get Insomnia/Vital Spirit, the best of these being MixKrow and Elekid. Let's see how they fare against this set:

MixKrow's Life Orb Sucker Punch has only a 6.3% chance to OHKO this Yanma (which will heal with Berry Juice), while Yanma easily 2HKOs Murkrow with Bug Buzz. This means that even if Murkrow comes in on the Hypnosis and not an attack, it has a 6.3% chance of winning against Yanma after making it in safely. If MixKrow goes for Brave Bird, it will not outspeed and has to take a Bug Buzz, and then die to its own recoil after taking Yanma down. This is more of a kamikaze attempt than an actual answer to it and is kind of crazy.

236 Atk Life Orb Murkrow Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Yanma: 19-23 (82.6 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

A similar case with Vital Spirit Elekid, as it can only speed tie with Yanma, although it can beat it outright if it comes in on the Hypnosis successfully and is lucky enough to win the Speed tie.

236+ SpA Yanma Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 36 SpD Elekid: 15-18 (71.4 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Additional Comments

Fuck Yanma.

1) Is Yanma broken?

Yes, Yanma is broken. The Speed Boost set with Life Orb is too much when combined with STAB Air Slash and its flinch rate, because you'll never outspeed it without priority and you can't even defend yourself with Substitute against it. Stealth Rock severely cripples Yanma but everyone knows how easy that is to remove now that Defog is buffed to remove hazards from both sides and bulky things like Gligar and Vullaby have access to it. Yanma's typing is horrible defensively (though it does have an immunity to Ground and a 4x resistance to Grass and Fighting) but you have to be able to hit it for its defensive vulnerabilities to count, and good luck with that. The Hypnosis + U-turn combination on the Compound Eyes set is insane and should not be allowed for reasons I mentioned in my segment on it above.

2) Is Yanma making Little Cup not fun?

Yes. It's not as absurdly powerful as Tangela but it's annoying as fuck and has a lot of unfair things going for it that ruin the fun in a lot of cases. Those Air Slash flinches are awful. Too much luck is never competitive, especially when you already outspeed damn near everything and have incredible STAB coverage to back it up.

The amount of rage quits this thing causes on a daily basis would probably suggest that people are being annoyed enough to have had this cross their mind at least a few times.

Last edited:
Tangela is fine, since Sleep Powder is nerfed. It's extremely weak on the SpD side. The only time it's scary, IMO, is when there's sun, and Vulpix got nerfed this gen.

I originally felt that Yanma was broken, but it's really only broken to teams that are unprepared for it. With no way to boost its SpA, it can be consistently walled by a number of threats. I will say that Sub+Hypnosis+Compoundeyes is annoying as hell.

Then again, I'm also the person who advocated most strongly for Sneasel not getting banned, so take from the above what you will.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I personally think Yanma is broken, but Tangela is not. However, to me, both make the game really fun (plus id have to remake all my teams :( ). Jokes aside, Yanma is THE very definition of a late game sweeper. That one battle me and Lyte had in the XY Replays thread pretty much shows how much pressure Yanma puts on teams, and how good it is at what it does. That match came down to, as Lute put it, who can get Yanma in first and keep it in. The ability to 2hko the majority of the tier is just astounding! Not to mention it can Hypno to pretty much gg one pokemon or two. Again however, im unsure whether it should be banned or not, as I worry after the test what would happen. If we ban yanma but not tangela, that in turn makes tangela broken as fuck (now its defensive set is pretty much unkillable) and it opens up to things like Carvanha possibly being broken, meditite probably being broken, etc. so im unsure how healthy it is to ban it, especially since its not THAT overpowered. When you bring it in, you dont hear the opp say "o, well, gg." There are ways around it. But its still a really strong poke, so sorry if i sound conflicted, its because I am.

As to Tangela, I dont believe it is broken. Yes its an amazing wall. However you can break through it. Not to mention its pretty weak without sun and a Life Orb. Thats where I think it is broken. Only in Sun, which is the root of the problem imo. Without sun, it is easily managed if it is offensive. If it is bulky wall, it is still manageable. Especially so with knock off boost, pawniard being amazing, and flying type STAB amazing. However, Im unsure if we're allowed to discuss the brokeness of Sun, so ill just leave it at that.

1) Yes and no respectively. While tangela and yanma are both incredible powerhouses that fit the bulky role with the right sets, or without in tangela's case. But the thing that makes tangela an overpowering force in the metagame, is its incredible power mixed almost unmatched with LO or nearly unmatched bulk with eviolite. The fact that even outside of sun leaf storm/giga drain sleep powder, and its amazing coverage its nearly impossible to have a constant switch in. It even has the coveted knock off if you want to drop hp ice/fire. This is the definition of bulky attacker this gen. Its in the same boat as sneasel, just it was overshadowed while sneasel was roaming. Now Sun is just overkill. The ability to spam solarbeam for 5-8 turns is amazing, and that coverage and sleep powder allows it to let vulpix get it for more sun. Nothing can live after taking its strongest coverage against that certain mon twice without either being useless for later, or becoming asleep.
Yanma is in a mixed boat, sure it has Ceyes and speed boost, two abilities it can absolutely abuse to the fullest. With hypnosis its stabs and hp ground/giga drain, it can nail so many mons. And it hits that great 20 speed tier, which allows it to outspeed a ton of common threats without scarf. But its checks/counters are pretty defined no matter the set, bar hypnosis from ceyes which only loses to its normal checks if they are using restalk (munchlax). Also Bj prevents it from getting 2HKOs, as without LO or even with it misses out on 2HKOs or OHKOs. It can also abuse eviolite and roost, but this is the inferior set to bj as it wants to run 3 attacks and hypnosis with ceyes and being able to switch into SR easier. On the topic of SR, if you cannot defog or spin it away, it hugely effects yanma's effectiveness, as if it can't giga drain to recover a lot of health with the LO set, or take any hits/lose bj with the bulkier set, it lacks the ability to support the team or finish a late game sweep attempt.
2) On the topic of fun, its a very opinion based question, so this will always be mixed in results imo but I will try to remain unbiased in my observations. Tangela is a very powerful mon that lacks any real weakness for you to abuse. In sun it has immense speed and strong attacks. With eviolite and defensive evs, it can live non stab special fire and ice attacks, which is normally considered to be how to destroy it. This means that you need many answers to tangela, as one can always prove useless against a certain type or team. Restricting teambuilding is considered to be one of the major issues with the "fun" parts of the game. As mons that used to be used effectively are now whisked away in favor for mons that aren't completely destroyed by one single mon no matter what set or moves. So yes tangela does make LC less "fun" from my perspective.
Yanma again is a mixed boat. It lacks the ability to defeat its counters with different sets (bar liechi reversal endure ie: the set rayjay saw on the ladder and said on smogcast which is a gimmicky set anyway) this means once you have a set counter to yanma, aside from hypnosis it is straightforward beat. While you have to have a check/counter to yanma to be successful, it doesn't really restrict team building to a point of "fun" restricting
3) I do not have direct insight with some of the newer players yet. So I will edit with their concerns about these mons.
Edit: People aren't fond of either of them, as they are either sweeped by them extensively or fail to beat them. They do make people less likely to play, but they will still, just to have a chance to beat the mons, as finding ways to beat them, makes LC fun again.

Last edited:
Tangela is extremely broken. It just doesn't die... you don't even need to run eviolite because it has insane bulk and regenerator. Then you can just switch it out and get regenerator.

It can run like 4 different sets, Leaf Storm LO w/ Regnerator, Leech Seed, Bulky Pivot, Sun Sweeper. It centralizes the metagame, and it's impossible to build a team without at least two solid checks to it. I see no reason to not use Tangela on every team I build... it is that good.

Yanma is also really strong. It can run the Compound Eyes Hypnosis set, which works incredibly as a lead because it still outspeeds almost everything that's not scarfed, and Hypnosis can sleep grass types unlike Sleep Powder and Spore. In addition, it can be run as an amazing Speed Boost sweeper, now with Defog it is easier than ever to bring in pokemon that are 4x weak to Rocks... as soon with Charizard-Y in OU.

I run Scarf Mienfoo on basically every team... which makes the Compound Eyes set sort of underwhelming because I kill it first turn a lot. In gen 5, PO complex banned Speed Boost which is really really stupid so Smogon should not do that.

I'm in favor for a ban on both, I think it would vastly improve the metagame. Along with Mienfoo I run Pawniard everywhere for priority on Yanma and sort of defog block... I see no reason to not ban both personally. They are incredibly strong and potent sweepers. It's funny because one of the best Tangela checks is Yanma.

I don't think it's discouraging people from playing at all because there are so many incredibly strong pokemon now... Meditite, Carvanha, Gligar, but I do think the tier would be a lot more fun if Yanma and Tangela they were banned.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Its hard to sum up Tangela as a whole, since he is such as versatile pokemon, so I guess I'll go through most of the sets that I think deserve to be discussed.

First off, Sun. Sun is definitively where tangela shines (heh). At minimum, he'll reach a nasty 20 speed, enough to outspeed most pokemon. Combine that with 100 base Special Attack and a 120BP STAB move. Its pretty damn scary. That said, Tangela is not perfect by itself, however it'll always have Vulpix by its side. Vulpix easily covers Tangela's low special D and weakness to Fire and Bug, and possible Tang checks such as Yanma and Snover. I know this is for just Tangela, but I think we should consider Sun teams as a whole. A team of two pokemon shouldn't be able to sweep through an entire team; whether or not that means its not broken is up to you.

Some calcs I found interesting:

196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Munchlax: 13-17 (43.3 - 56.6%) -- 59.4% chance to 2HKO
196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Solar Beam vs. 212 HP / 116 SpD Eviolite Croagunk: 9-12 (37.5 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO (Remember Dry Skin will lower its health)
196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Misdreavus: 16-19 (72.7 - 86.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Hidden Power Fire vs. 156 HP / 76 SpD Magnemite: 18-23 (85.7 - 109.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Ancient Power vs. 36 HP / 20 SpD Eviolite Murkrow: 16-21 (69.5 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Solar Beam vs. 76 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Mantyke: 13-17 (59 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Solar Beam vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tentacool: 16-19 (69.5 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Basically, its impossible to switch into the this monster, so SOMETHING (probably more than one something if played correctly) will die.

Next would be Bulky Tangela. Personally I don't think its as broke as Sun since it does get hurt bad by special attacks. Namely, Snover (i love that tree), yanma, and croagunk can handle him fairly well. The only reason I'd consider it broken is because of the combination of Knock Off/Sleep Powder. That essentially allows you to put Tang's counter to sleep (unless its snover [i love that tree]), then cripple the rest of the team. Remember Tangela has a MINIMUM of 14 SpA- the same amount some pokemon have to fully invest EVs for.

Some calcs on the defensive side this time:

236 Atk Ponyta Flare Blitz vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Tangela: 18-24 (75 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Tangela: 14-20 (58.3 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

This thing is basically impossible to OHKO unless you're name is Life Orb Murkrow. Now I know that doesn't mean its broken but Tangela can survive a hit, put them to sleep, then switch out to regen health and get a counter in or sweeper to set up. That is a little crazy.

I honestly can't say much about Yanma, I haven't used it enough to say. I know that it can be killed easily by priority after SR, especially by Snover (i love that tree.) I do think Yanma should be considered more in depth though, being able to 2OHKO and breeze past most scarfers after only 1 or 2 turns.

Last edited:
Tangela is fine, since Sleep Powder is nerfed. It's extremely weak on the SpD side. The only time it's scary, IMO, is when there's sun, and Vulpix got nerfed this gen.
Let's start with this... I play sun. Sleep Powder nerf is nothing to Tangela because Tangela under the sun isn't to be sent out until you can sweep so in any case that it's out and not ready to sweep, you only use Sleep Powder to make something sleep if you can't OHKO. Sun teams merely use Vulpix + Tangela + 4 Offensive mons and Vulpix mostly never gets sent out until Tangela's ready to sweep. Which means that the 4 teammates on the team must be able to handle things like Vullaby that get in Tangela's face. Even so, Tangela can KO the whole tier with Solarbeam + HP Fire + Ancient Power with a bit of stealth rock damage and even without it and let's not discuss Ancient Power boosts that happen because that's instantly gg unless you got a Sturdy mon or your meditite hasn't been taken down by one of the 4 teammates. Also... I'm pretty sure Heat Rock is the preffered item for Vulpix because it ensures 8 turns of Tangela going ham on everything your team has. Oh, and I didn't forget that Stealth Rock exists, so Sturdy mons aren't a way out of Tangela anyways. (Unless you manage to defog and you're still at disadvantage until you take down my rocks user).
If anyone has anything to say about this, reply.

Now... I answer the questions:
1) Tangela is broken for the reasons stated above. It can sweep in sun basically 100% of the time when used correctly and as a defensive Pokemon, you can't just kill it easily when it can just switch out and regain 33% of its HP. Giga Drain also helps it regain HP while it battles. Knock Off on Tangela allows it to take on anything that doesn't have a SE attack because it will simply put it to sleep, knock off its Eviolite/berry Juice and proceed to suck the life out of it with Giga Drain.
About Yanma, my argument is not fully solid but for that, I have those against the ban who will help me figure it out. My point with Yanma is that I don't see a clear counter to Yanma unless you know its set it's carrying. Let me explain myself, if it's using its LO Speed Boost Set, you can easily look at Munchlax who is able to take its STABs and coverage move of choice. I also think Porygon can take these attacks and get a nice speed boost but I'm not 100% sure there's that many things who can stop it. And moving on to another note, if you're running this set, you're probably going to use it as a late game cleaner... oops, your Munchlax fainted already... gg? Now, what if you see Yanma on their team in the Team Preview and think of it as LO Speed Boost set... No problem, right? Well, they lead with Yanma and use its insane 20 Speed Stat to outspeed your Pokemon (unless you lead with a scarfer) and then proceed to use their Compound Eyes Hypnosis on you and you already have a crippled Pokemon. Hooray for the Yanma user >.>
OK so I see you switching out and now you got hit by Yanma's U-turn and your Pokemon now has to face a check and you're forced to switch in again (likely scenario, I've seen it so much)

2) To be honest I wouldn't stop having fun in Little Cup no matter how broken something is because I like finding ways around top threats, but when 3/4 of my teams have a Munchlax with ResTalk in order to TRY to counter both of these threats... something's wrong.

3) Other than the usual "FUCK YANMA/TANGELA" messages I get in the chat, I could say maybe some people have been discouraged to play LC but don't quote me on that. I just hope I'm wrong on this one.

Those are my thoughts on this.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yanma and Tangela are fucking stupid lol. I guess I'll answer the questions directly though.

Are Yanma and Tangela broken?
Yeah, they are. It's a bummer too because they're really fun to play with when you aren't facing the sets that make them so difficult to manage. To me, the broken sets are Yanma's Compound Eyes U-turn/Hypnosis set and Tangela's offensive Chlorophyll and offensive Regenerator sets. They both run other sets (Yanma runs Speed Boost and Sub Compound Eyes and Tangela runs more defensive sets and an Eviolite Chlorophyll set), but these ones are those that push them overboard.

Yanma's Compound Eyes U-turn/Hypnosis set is undoubtedly its strongest one. I don't even find Life Orb Speed Boost to be that bad because hard counters to it exist and offensive teams should have priority to beat it. There are very few Pokemon that cannot be put to sleep by Hypnosis, which is what really makes this set so volatile. After you've successfully put something to sleep, you're free to pivot out with U-turn, most of the time without fear of whatever you bring in taking a hit, or stay in and start wailing away at the opposing team with Yanma's strong dual STAB. The thing that makes this set broken is not that it's unwallable or ungodly strong, but that it can easy gain so much momentum so quickly for offensive teams. There really is no good check to this set because 1. you don't know right off the bat whether you're switching your Insomnia Murkrow or sleep fodder mon into a Hypnosis or a Life Orb Bug Buzz and 2. even if you have some obscure mon like Insomnia Hoot-Hoot or some shit, it can just U-turn out into something that can deal with your shitty counter.

Tangela's Life Orb Chlorophyll set is definitely what makes both sun and itself so hard to handle. What Tangela has over other sun sweepers is quite simply its fantastic bulk. This allows it to stay in against most priority attacks (barring like Ice Shard I guess, but every Ice Shard user kinda sucks), and in the rare cases that it cannot KO something, it can usually tank a hit. Even better, it can just cripple any potential checks with Sleep Powder. I know that Antar mentioned that Sleep Powder was nerfed, but in Tangela's context, that nerf means jack shit because it can get by pretty much everything that is immune to Sleep Powder. Ungodly fast, ungodly powerful, and Sleep Powder are what make Tangela so obviously broken.

Tangela's Life Orb Regenerator set is honestly almost as scary as its Life Orb Chlorophyll set because it just keeps coming back for more. Just like the Life Orb Chlorophyll set, it can put any checks to sleep with Sleep Powder, but something it has over the Chlorophyll set is Knock Off (which I guess you could run on a Chlorophyll set, but that set is more of a sweeper while this one is more of a wallbreaker). With Knock Off, even potential counters have to look out. Recycle Berry Juice Munchlax, for example, might be able to wall it once, but after its Berry Juice has been knocked off, it's incredibly easy to wear it down throughout the match. Regenerator and Tangela's fantastic bulk for an offensive Pokemon keep it healthy quite easily throughout the match, and it allows Tangela to serve as the ultimate offensive pivot. Regenerator Tangela makes nearly every bulky Water-type a liability as well because every time they come in, Tangela gets another free switch to start wreaking havoc again or to pivot in and out for Regenerator recovery. Obviously it doesn't make every bulky Water-type bad, but I honestly rarely see a Water-type in LC that is not named Chinchou or Slowpoke, and I rarely even see either of them tbh.

Are Yanma and Tangela making LC less fun?
Kinda, but not to the same extent that Sneasel did by any means. Compound Eyes Yanma is the most frustrating Pokemon to deal with because you're kind of helpless as soon as it gets a safe switch, which isn't that hard with Defog Gligar, the ultimate Stealth Rock remover, and tons of fantastic VoltTurn Pokemon including Bunnelby, Magnemite, Mienfoo, Chinchou, Larvesta, Gligar, etc. It takes away a really important part of what makes Pokemon so fun—prediction. Tangela is just easy mode, which I guess also makes LC a bit less fun. Again, these two Pokemon aren't deterring me from playing the metagame, but they do make it less fun than it could be.

Is a combination of the previous questions deterring people from playing LC?
Dunno! Unlike Sneasel's ban, I haven't really heard non-LC players bitching about them, and I've only heard LCers who have been playing against them bitching about them. So I guess in my experiences, no, but I'm sure there's at least one person out there who isn't playing LC because of them.

I also want to mention really quickly that there's no reason to ban Drought over Tangela sun alone because Tangela is what makes Drought so hard to handle. Bellsprout and Oddish are kind of stronger in that they both get STAB Sludge Bomb which wrecks most Grass resists, but they can't live shit because of how frail they are. Like, take the following calcs:

228 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Tangela: 9-12 (37.5 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
228 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Oddish: 12-16 (57.1 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
228 Atk Life Orb Huge Power Bunnelby Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bellsprout: 16-19 (76.1 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Solar Beam vs. 0 HP / 60 SpD Bunnelby: 32-40 (160 - 200%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The damage output against Oddish and Bellsprout is way bigger. Quick Attack + one round of LO recoil can take down Bellsprout, while at the very worst it guarantees you're only going to have to take two other hits from it. Against Oddish, it doesn't do quite as much, but it takes over half and up to three quarters. Meanwhile, two Quick Attacks + two rounds of Life Orb recoil isn't even a guaranteed dead Tangela.

See also:

236 Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Tangela: 9-12 (37.5 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
236 Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Oddish: 13-16 (61.9 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
236 Atk Pawniard Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bellsprout: 16-19 (76.1 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Pawniard in Sun: 21-26 (100 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

These are the two strongest priority attacks in the tier, and they almost never 2HKO Tangela (not that it would matter even if they could because they both get OHKOed anyways lol). Anyways, this was an unnecessarily long tangent, but what I'm getting at is that Tangela is the only thing that makes sun broken and should be banned over Drought. Sun will still be viable without Tangela in the tier, but it's definitely nowhere near broken without it.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm going to briefly addres the arguments right now for Tangela, as I feel it is the Pokemon that merits more discussion and due to it not having as clearly defined sets as Yanma (Speed Boost or CompoundEyes), I think there is real potential to oversimplify the problems Tangela brings to the metagame. I'll address Yanma in another post.

Antar claims that Tangela is only fearsome in sun and is otherwise weak on the SpDef side. This argument is strong in that something like Misdreavus, who can take a hit from Tangela outside of Sun, could potentially set up a Nasty Plot on Tangles or something. The problem with this argument is that Tangela is essentially impossible to beat in sun, and sun counters are just forthrightly ineffective against it. In other words, let me grant you the fact that Tangela outside of sun is not broken (I do not agree with this) purely for the sake of argument.

The things you would want to switch into Tangela to hinder sun:
-Snover, who would remove sun, OHKOed by HP Fire and Tangela can sweep later.
-Lickitung, who would similarly Cloud Nine sun, is dismantled by the Growth set with Giga Drain.
-Hippopotas, obviously a stupid switch-in to Tangela.

The things that would make sense to actually check Tangela in sun:
-Munchlax is 2HKOed 59% of the time according to calcs above, showing the most effective special wall in the metagame is shut down by this beast's power and is rekt by Sleep Powder.
-Goomy, probably the only hard counter to Tangela in sun, assuming the Growth set didn't exist which can bust through it providing Goomy Sleep Talk doesn't pick Sludge Bomb (2/3 chance). Goomy is utterly useless against teams that do not have Tangela, and the best you can hope for it then is simply a DragonBreath paralyze. Using a Pokemon as niche as Sap Sipper Goomy is decidedly silly and proves Tangela is centralizing.
-Vullaby is prone to AncientPower hax or simply AncientPower if Stealth Rock is up, especially since Vullaby is usually the team's Defog user so taking SR damage is not unheard of.
-Yanma needs Protect and SpeedBoost, making one Yanma set perhaps the only thing that can really revenge Tangela well. Just like Vullaby's ability is to take exactly one hit and retaliate with Air Slash though, Yanma cannot risk switching in and thus a Pokemon needs to be sacrificed if Tangela is to be stopped.

The problem then becomes that if you get Tangela in in Sun (which admittedly isn't that difficult due to the unshared weaknesses between Vulpix and Tangela), there are perhaps 7 full turns in which your best bet is just to switch around randomly and hope you don't get outpredicted and that you can prevent Tangela from getting in safely next time. The problem is not sun (Tangela + Vulpix is often run without any other sun mons) but Tangela.

TCR claims that Tangela is a wall that can be broken through, and needs sun and Life Orb to be effective. Tangela's walling ability is solid, and apparently TCR would acquiesce that it is perhaps broken in sun. This oversimplifies the issue, but does put the burden of proof on us to either prove a.) sun is not the issue or b.) Tangela is broken outside of sun.

The idea that sun is not the issue is pretty easy to defend, as "sun" is not even the archetype of team most people use with Vulpix + Tangela, they use 4 other mons that don't benefit from sun at all along with this core. Furthermore, banning auto sun wouldn't do much as Ponyta can switch into Fighting-types and repeatedly set up Sunny Day honestly with great ease (been seeing Al_Alchemist using this cheap strategy). This leaves you with two options: admit auto-sun is not what's breaking Tangela, or suggest Chlorophyll should be banned.

A Chlorophyll ban ignores some of Tangela's best sets, including Sleep Powder Knock Off Giga Drain, which switches into night every physical threat and laughs at it, proceeding to methodically kill and heal off weakened teams, and Life Orb Leaf Storm Regenerator, which blows massive holes into teams that are expecting to switch a defensive threat into Sleep Powder or Knock Off. These two different sets play so differently with no indication as to which set is being used that it is impossible to really play well until you know which one you're against unless you have like Vullaby or Munchlax, and at best these Pokemon will be getting Knocked Off. Tangela's other sets are too diverse that you, to quote blara in the smogcast, don't know what it's going to do to you until its killed half your team.

Tangela

Not much needs to be said about Tangela besides the fact that you have incredible defensive-typing coupled with base 115 Def and 100 SpA. Now you can go three ways with Tangela and all of them are as dangerous as the others. Tangela is so absurd that there is no reason to not use it. If you think the Sleep Powder nerf did anything to Tangela, well...it didn't. The scariest Tangela sets don't even need it.

A) Life Orb Sun sweeper

Obviously we have seen the calculations and know first hand that if you aren't a "specifically-meant-for-tanking-solarbeams" bulky Pokemon you are not surviving the 20 SpA Life Orb boosted 120 base power STAB SolarBeam. You essentially have to sacrifice a Pokemon or severely outplay your opponent to get a shot and knocking this Tangela down. This is a very easy and straightforward Pokemon to use and requires no set-up time due to auto-weather.

B) Bulky Pivot

If you dont want to use Sun then you still have no reason not to use Tangela. Tangela can check and wall an insane amount of common Pokemon even without much defensive investment. It can be a great pivot and still have 20 SpA and smack things with Sleep Powder/Stun Spore that it otherwise can't OHKO. Giga Drain and Regenerator make Tangela so easy to use with Eviolite. You predict wrong? Ok just switch out and come back in with near-full HP. You tank an attack that 2HKOes you? Jk you hit them back with Giga Drain and you aren't 2HKOed anymore. Once you're done countering a Pokemon, you can lol and just switch out and come back with half HP. It's too powerful to be able to survive indefinitely.

C) little bit of A little bit of B

My personal favorite and in my opinion best variant of Tangela is this version. Why would you use SolarBeam when you can just use Growth and OHKO the entire tier with AP/HP/Giga Drain while being bascially unkillable. Due to Eviolite, and unlike the first variant, you can tank various Ice Punches, Acrobatics, and virtually any other physical attack and set up Growth. Then, even if you're at 40% you will heal your HP back up by OHKOing anything with +2 Giga Drain. Unlike the second variant, you are fast and can just simply end games as soon as Vulpix comes out. When the Sun is over it's still useful, you are at +2 and Giga Drain most of your HP back when attacking second anyway.

It goes without saying that Tangela is too strong at everything and there is no reason to use another Pokemon ever. It's just so good relative to everything else.

Yanma

Yanma is also too good, but it's not because of Speed Boost. If Yanma only had Speed boost, I would probably be ok with it to be honest. It's SubHypnosis Compoundeyes. You basically make your own luck with Substitute and Hypnosis until you get a 2 or 3 turn Sleep which isn't rare enough to be considered "risky". If they wake up first turn, you simply get your Substitute broken and rinse-repeat until you get the extra Sleep turn. Then you get a free attack. Rinse-repeat this until the opponent's Pokemon is KOed. Rinse-repeat that until you kill other Pokemon or you run out of HP (which is a long time because Berry Juice basically gives you 3-4 extra Substitutes. Maybe I'll even run fucking Leftovers LOL.

It's not competitive and there's very little you can actually do to stop it. Yanma is broken for that reason and that one alone. If you haven't used this Pokemon, use it; it takes no "skill" to follow an algorithm.

Reactions: tcr

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Are there even any possible counters to compoundeyes Yanma?

Vullaby?
236+ SpA Life Orb Yanma Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 9-13 (39.1 - 56.5%) -- 87.9% chance to 2HKO
Since Yanma forces switches so easily, it is not hard at all to get a sub up; Vullaby can't even roost since it will be killed thanks to its Dark Typing.

Pretty much the same goes for Murkrow.

Magic Bounce Natu? (lol)
236+ SpA Life Orb Yanma Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Natu: 16-19 (69.5 - 82.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Just predict the switch (easy with team preview).

Sweet Veil Swilrix?
236+ SpA Life Orb Yanma Bug Buzz vs. 20 HP / 0 SpD Swirlix: 9-12 (39.1 - 52.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
236+ SpA Life Orb Yanma Air Slash vs. 20 HP / 0 SpD Swirlix: 17-21 (73.9 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'm not entirely sure the EVs on Yanma is correct, I haven't used it enough to know for sure. If they are wrong feel free to correct me.

Perhaps Archen; but he is put into defeatist zone by 2 giga drains; easy enough to get off with a sub up.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
To clarify, i did not mean "sun" as in a specific archetype, I meant "sun" as in "Vulpix+Tang."

Ray Jay I believe that Tangela is viable outside sun. I however dont think it is broken. A grass type resist is on almost every team, with Murkrow, Vullaby, Pawniard, and LOL Yanma on teams, so the Leaf Storm set isnt as hard to handle as Chloro because of the drop. Ok so it predicts the switch and ancient powers or hp fires. Like Treecko said, prediction is key part of the game, and I find that enjoyable. However I dont speak for everyone.

As Heysup said, yanma is broken for its one set, hypno. Its uncompetitive, etc etc. #Proban

Tl;dr Tang is solid, ban Yanma for reasons stated, dont ban tang

Reactions: zf

chimp

Go Bananas
To clarify, i did not mean "sun" as in a specific archetype, I meant "sun" as in "Vulpix+Tang."

Ray Jay I believe that Tangela is viable outside sun. I however dont think it is broken. A grass type resist is on almost every team, with Murkrow, Vullaby, Pawniard, and LOL Yanma on teams, so the Leaf Storm set isnt as hard to handle as Chloro because of the drop. Ok so it predicts the switch and ancient powers or hp fires. Like Treecko said, prediction is key part of the game, and I find that enjoyable. However I dont speak for everyone.

As Heysup said, yanma is broken for its one set, hypno. Its uncompetitive, etc etc. #Proban

Tl;dr Tang is solid, ban Yanma for reasons stated, dont ban tang

Sure, grass resists exsist, but so do Ice/Dark resists, yet Sneasel is still banned.
LO Tang isn't meant to sweep, per se, its meant to hit absurdly hard then leave. Not even LO damage can stop him since regenerator gives him back his health.

236 Atk Murkrow Brave Bird vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Tangela: 26-32 (108.3 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 236 SpD Eviolite Vullaby: 13-16 (56.5 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
196+ SpA Life Orb Tangela Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 196 SpD Eviolite Pawniard: 9-12 (42.8 - 57.1%) -- 12.1% chance to 2HKO (Pawn can't otherwise do much to tang)

My primary problem with Tangela is that its longevity makes it incredibly easy to procure these predictions. It's very easy to spam Giga Drain or Knock Off on the switch, and if you mess up an Ancient Power prediction, switch out. You get your health back, and can come back in on Gligar or Pawniard or whatever and then go for that prediction again. TBH, what pisses me off the most are the offensive Regenerator sets...they never die, do so much damage, have like eight moves they can use (Giga Drain, Knock Off, Hidden Power Fire, Hidden Power Ice, Ancient Power, Leaf Storm, Sludge Bomb...) and it always does its job. Even when it fails it's no big deal as you just switch out and then try again later.

I'm not as opinionated via Yanma, but I do find Sub Hynosis or U-Turn Hypnosis fucking annoying. They manage to always succeed unless you're unlucky, and the momentum they bring to offensive teams is frightening. Yanma's 4x Stealth Rock Weakness isn't even a huge deal with Defog.

1) After playing against one or both of these Pokemon every other match for a month against all kinds of sets and players, I feel that both Tangela and Yanma are broken in the current metagame. I'll begin with Tangela whom I feel is the greater of two evils. Tangela sports a wide variety of base sets, and each one can run different variants that can cause counters to a certain moveset to crumble before the move you decided to tack on. Thanks to Sleep Powder, any counters that your opponent has can be nullified and more than likely taken out by a teammate, or with them asleep, Tangela itself can actually break through them. While sleep was nerfed this generation, it is still a very crippling status, as it almost guarantees that the sleeping Pokemon will have at least one turn where it can't do anything but be a sitting duck. Another move Tangela can abuse is Knock Off. This can be spammed on the switch to possibly enable Tangela to beat your counter by removing it's Eviolite or Berry Juice. It also works extremely well with Sleep Power, usually letting you either put them to sleep, remove their item, and switch to something to beat said Pokemon when it wakes up, or letting you put a Pokemon to sleep and knock off another's item if the opponent decides to switch. Tangela also gets two choices for its grass STAB outside of sun, Giga Drain and Leaf Storm. With Leaf Storm, you can surprise some would be counters/checks by OHKO'ing them, or getting kills you wouldn't with Giga Drain after some prior damage. Giga Drain gives you some staying power, since it lets you recover health without having to switch out. By using Giga Drain, Tangela can completely avoid the "just wear it down" strategy used to remove some defensive Pokemon (Eviolite Pawniard for example.) Regenerator also makes Tangela extremely good, as it can avoid being KO'd and worn down by simply switching out, negating any work you did to wear it down. On the bulky set, it can also run a plethora of coverage moves, limiting its switch ins. Ancient Power can hit Pokemon such as Larvesta and Insomnia MixKrow. Hidden Power Fire can hit Pokemon like other Tangela, Pawniard and Ferroseed, while Ice can OHKO BJ Gligar and has a solid chance to OHKO Eviolite as well. Sludge Bomb can put lots of damage on other Tangela and fairy types as well. Like Laurel said, you can even afford to run LO on a bulky set since it's 65/115 defense is so amazing and with Eviolite, 100 special attack is still fantastic in the tier, making Tangela a defensive threat and offensive threat at the same time. You can rub SubSeed as well, which is actually really dangerous, but I'd say it's outclassed by the other sets you could run.

Then there's the LO Sun set. Chlorophyll lets it outspeed every scarfed Pokemon in the tier (Except Scarf Trace Porygon), so your only hopes of beating it are walling it, revenging with Snover, or by using priority, which besides Ice Shard (Which isn't used by anything bar Snover and the rare Swinub) Tangela has the bulk to take if it's still healthy, meaning you have to let it take out your Pokemon until LO put it in range to revenge kill. Then, if you plan on using Sucker Punch to do so, Sleep Powder says hello. Sleep Powder also lets it wear down and more than likely beat it's counters, unless that counter runs Rest Talk. The coverage options of this set are the same as the last one, just with more power thanks to Life Orb. However, now Tangela can run Solarbeam, which will OHKO pretty much anything that isn't a dedicated special wall, or resists it. Another thing that makes this set annoying is unlike the tiers other Chlorophyll users like Oddish, Tangela has the natural bulk to take and deliver hits if sun isn't up, meaning it is never dead weight. Thanks to the lack of usage of other weather starters, Vulpix and LO Tangela can be thrown on almost any team, and in addition can almost guarantee the team's success, thanks to the offensive power of Tangela. Sure, weather was nerfed this generation, but 7 turns is plenty for Tangela to rip apart a team. Thanks to it's unmatched versatility, ridiculous bulk even without Eviolite, ability to regain health through offense and by switching, insane offensive power and coverage, and while in sun, the ability to outspeed and OHKO the majority of the tier make Tangela broken and ban worthy.

Now onto Yanma, another Pokemon with different sets and the ability to stop most of its counters cold. The most obvious set that makes Yanma broken in most newer players eyes if the Speed Boost set. The first thing you see is a Pokemon with a really good speed and special attack stat with an ability that lets it outspeed everything that isn't scarfed after using Protect once. And, even if you aren't new, it's still really tempting because it is a fantastic set. Air Slash and Bug Buzz give really good coverage against the majority of the tier, and Bug Buzz powered by a Life Orb is indeed extremely powerful, 2HKO'ing many naturally bulky Pokemon like Chinchou if it lacks Eviolite. In addition to these nice STABs, and like Tangela, this set can have different variations as well for its last slot. Hidden Power Ground is a common one, and lets it nail Magnemite and other steels really hard, though except in Mite's case, Bug Buzz hits the common steels hard enough (Pawniard and Ferroseed.) Hidden Power Ice can OHKO Gligar if you're scarred of it living Air Slash, activating BJ, and killing with Acrobatics, so that can let it beat another check. It also lets you 2HKO Eviolite Archen, and it has a chance to OHKO BJ Archen. Another option for the last slot is Substitute, which allows it to bypass Sucker Punch users. This is pretty big, because most offensive teams rely on Sucker Punch to revenge kill Yanma if their main counter is KO'd. Hypnosis, though much less reliable works a lot like Substitute, but can also be used to beat counters by giving you time to wear them down, like Tangela. It can also run Berry Juice to let it live a Sucker Punch and be returned to full health. This sets sheer late game sweeping power and ability to get past many of its most common counters and checks by slight changes to its moveset put Yanma near or even as the top of the most threatening sweepers list.

While most newer players are attracted to Yanma and say its broken because of they can't touch it after Speed Boost does its magic, most people that have been playing LC for a while will tell you the thing that breaks Yanma is its Compound Eyes set, and I completely agree. This set is amazing at luring in thing that counter Yanma and whatever your main sweeper is, and doing away with them via a much more accurate Hypnosis. Even without Speed Boost, Yanma is one of the fastes Pokemon in the tier, pushing just past the magic number 19 by reaching 20. This lets it outspeed Pokemon like Gligar and Misdreavus and U-turn out into a counter, or it can just U-turn out when it lures in one of its counters rather than using Hypnosis, like if Hypnosis has already put another Pokemon to sleep. It still can abuse its good special attack and solid STABs with this set, which when coupled with his speed, let him function as a backup win condition if your main one is KO'd. While his typing isn't fantastic, it gives him a resistance to Mach Punch, and lets him be neutral to Sucker Punch. This allows Sucker Punch to knock him into Berry Juice range, resulting in him returning to full health and more than likely KO'ing your Yanma check on the next turn, basically meaning you have to kill him twice since the only things that can OHKO him are other base 20's that win the speed tie and scarfers. This set is easier to wall that the other, since it doesn't abuse LO boosted STABs, but only if you've sacrificed another Pokemon to the still dreaded sleep condition. The Defog and Knock Off buff also help Yanma so much although it receives neither. Defog provides an easier way to get rid of Stealth Rocks, which really hurts its longevity. Knock Off helps it since many Pokemon, like Porygon, rely on their Eviolite to counter it by avoiding the 2HKO. The ability to act as either one of the most dangerous sweepers in the tier, as well as act as a powerful, decently bulky, and crippling pivot pushes Yanma over the edge for me, and I would like to see it banned with Tangela.

2) To me, Yanma makes Little Cup much less fun. When playing against it, you feel absolutely helpless against the Compound Eyes set because you have to sack something to sleep, unless you're running RestTalk Muchlax/Mantyke. Then if you decide to bring in something else to handle it, it's just U-turning out into another counter, ready to come back in and ruin you whenever it needs to. The Speed Boost set isn't as frustrating as the previous set, but it is pretty annoying. First off, you have to take one of it's attacks first to decide your game plan for it. The question of whether it's BJ or LO can greatly effect how you take it down. If you don't do this and guess wrong, it can then proceed to sweep you easily, since each item causes it to have different checks. This makes it feel like every time Yanma comes in for the first time, it has you in a checkmate position every time, since Speed Boost doesn't reveal itself until the end of that turn. When using Yanma, I just feel it's really boring and just point and click. Compound Eyes set - Hypnosis, U-turn. Speed Boost set - Protect, kill what's in front of you, spam STAB or 4th slot move depending on whatever he brings in. There's very little thinking at this point, since you can't be revenged by the possible scarfer. Really the only question you have to ask yourself is, "Does this Pokemon get Sucker Punch?" And if the answer to that is yes, then, "Am I in KO range?"

Tangela, on the other hand, is an ok amount fun to play against and with if it isn't the LO Sun set. With that set, it's like Yanma. If it can beat you, put it to sleep. Then spam Solarbeam unless it resists you. With the bulkier sets, you have to think at least a little bit, as well as use some prediction since there are things that can outspeed and KO you if you let them do so safely. Sleep Powder and Knock Off can hurt this aspect of using or playing against Tangela, so that does hurt the fun of it quite a bit. Other than that, you can't get perfect coverage with 3 moves, meaning when Sleep Powder has been used on something else, it does have counters, although they may be shaky, and I feel that can add some fun to it. Still broken, but not nearly as boring as Yanma.

3) At the moment, I don't think so. Both of these Pokemon are attractive to new members of Little Cup, and Speed Boost Yanma and LO Chlorophyll Tangela are both easy to use Pokemon that can allow you to pick up some wins even if you're new to the tier. And if you have no idea what you're doing, but you're winning at least some, it can drive you to stick with it, maybe even to the day where you branch out more, use more things, and possibly participate in the community. They can be frustrating to play against, however, so people without any knowledge whatsoever of competitive Pokemon may be deterred from Little Cup thanks to their ability to just stomp teams using Pokemon that should never be used. So it's kind of a double edged sword here. People that have played competitive Pokemon before, but not Little Cup will probably like using these Pokemon as handlebars and the fact they keep the metagame pretty fast paces and offensive, while players completely knew to competitive Pokemon as whole will dislike them because they feel absolutely helpless against them, and although that can be said for every threat in the tier, I feel it is multiplied in these two thanks to their sheer power, ease of setup, and difficulty to eliminate if you don't know how.

Last edited by a moderator:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Tangela: I am actually really surprised that anyone actually thinks that Tangela is not broken, as it is a pokemon that 2HKOes pretty much the entire tier in the sun with almost no prediction. The thing that tips it over the edge however, is that once sun is up it isn't even that hard to switch in as no physical attackers can come close to the OHKO. It's special defense isn't even that bad, although its Special Defense stat is slightly lower than average in LC, its HP stat is slightly above average, which kind of makes up for it. The fact that sun Tangela is clearly broken, (can 2HKO (almost?) the entire tier) and can dispose of anything else with sleep powder makes it uncheckable, let alone counterable and is enough to justify a ban. That being said, Tangela outside of sun is just as broken as Tangela in the sun.

Tangela as a defensive pokemon, is one with no equal, as with Regenerator, the most physical bulk in the tier, and access to a ton of utility moves such as knock off, sleep powder, leech seed, and stun spore it is almost impossible to switch into. On top of all of this it has impressive offensive pressence being able to KO many of the top physical threats with its STAB (while regaining more health) or with a coverage move (IE HP Ice takes on Gligar). Tangela is pretty much impossible to wear down just due to sheer bulk and regenerator.

As for the more or less fun thing, I don't think this question is relevant, so I'm going to tweak it a bit. Tangela makes team building less fun due to how centralizing it is in the tier. I was actually going to comment in the Types in LC thread that the common grass-type pokemon from last gen have disappeared, but then I realized that Tangela is far and away the best grass-type at every role. Tangela is so centralizing that there needs to be a very specific niche on your team for you to use, old staples like Foongus and Cradily are really just outshined at any role they try to perform. Not to mention that every team I'm building is going way out of the way to beat Tangela, is anyone not running Ice Beam on SS Tirt, or Ice Beam on Carvanha to give it a shot late game? How has that been going?

Don't get me wrong, I still love playing in the Tang meta, but it is pretty broken, and I think it could be a lot more diverse and fresh if it were banned and could potentially be a lot more fun (not that it matters when it comes to banning).

I'll comment on Yanma later, on the fence on this one.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In my opinion Tangela is broken, no two ways about it. I think there are basically 4 sets it can run, which I'll go through:

Life Orb + Chlorophyll: as everyone has stated can just tear complete teams apart. I know people have said that sun is nerfed this generation, but 8 turns is literally all Tangela needs. It doesn't need perma-sun at all to come in and completely destroy the opposing teams core, or finish a team off. This has been talked about a lot and calcs have been provided, but yeah, there is no safe switch-in and it's also really hard to revenge due to its naturally high defense, high speed and not being weak to most priority. Even stuff like Speed Boost Timid Yanma with protect has to risk a double protect or speed-tieing with Modest Tangela. And Sleep Powder tips it over the edge, destroying many would-be counters.

Eviolite + Chlorophyll: Whilst less immediately threatening, this Tangela is much, much harder to revenge due to its immense bulk, which it can also use to easily set up Growth. It also has less trouble switching in so it doesn't waste too many turns of Sun. Tangela actually has enough bulk to take a 110BP Acrobatics from Gligar, and then set up growth, setting up an easy sweep. Another thing about this Tangela is that it isn't useless if Sun runs out because it can use Giga Drain to keep it reasonably healthy throughout.

Life Orb + Regenerator: This is probably the least common Tangela (in my experience) but it still is amazing. It can literally just come in and use Knock Off early game to weaken its own counters, switch out to heal up and then spam Leaf Storm, with nothing really having a safe switch in. Its coverage, Knock Off and Sleep Powder, make it easy to get round anything that counters it.

Eviolite + Regenerator: This is the most common Tangela set (I think) and for good reason. Unless you're using another type of Tangela, a bulky Tangela can just fit into any team and do well. It takes hits throughout the game and, as Blarajan pointed out, if you mispredict you can just switch out to activate Regenerator and have another opportunity. This set also doesn't care about its counters because it can just switch out and never dies. With regenerator it can continue to wall what its supposed to be walling the entire game, no matter how many counters you stack up on. I think this set proves the centralising factor that Tangela has on the metagame: many matches I've had between balanced teams often come down to who can kill the other teams Tangela first, thus breaking down the opposing teams defensive core. There isn't much reason to use many other bulky grass-types or defensive walls, when Tangela can do the job better.

So yes, Tangela is broken, no matter what set it runs. Its offensive sets can easily get past its own counters using Sleep Powder or Knock Off and then OHKO or 2HKO the entire tier and its defensive set can just continue to wall throughout the whole match, never dying. It barely needs any support from teammates and its very centralising which does make LC less fun. I fail to see how anyone would be up for keeping Tangela in LC.

Yanma, however I'm on the fence about. It has two main sets:

Speed Boost: Yanma with Speed Boost is a great late game sweeper. It already has a high speed stat so after one speed boost it is pretty much untouchable on that front. However, this set isn't really broken at all. As with many late game sweepers it has many checks that have to be removed, and therefore cannot just sweep teams without support, unlike chlorophyll Tangela (well I suppose you need Vulpix as support for that). Lots of bulky Pokemon can take a hit and do significant damage back, such as Porygon, Munchlax and Archen and lots of priority users can revenge it after a small bit of Life Orb Recoil.

Compoundeyes: This Yanma, is much more of a problem for me. It can still function as a late-game sweepers due to its 20 Speed, though it is also more vulnerable to being revenged by Choice Scarf users. However, Hypnosis + U-turn is the real problem, giving a ton of momentum whilst also removing one of its counters, ready for a late game sweep with Dual Stabs. Unlike the speed boost set, who mainly only comes out to sweep late game, this set can act as a pivot throughout the game and then a late game sweeper, needing much less support. This is borderline broken for me, but I still think it needs a bit of support from teammates to allow it to sweep.

So I'm on the fence with Yanma and might add some more thoughts once I see other posts. For me, I wouldn't mind waiting to see how the metagame is without Tangela first.

Wow, lots of good posts, I feel insignificant with this small post :(

1) Is Tangela broken?
Yes
, the combined bulk and power are very difficult to handle and it has a variety of movesets that can make it difficult to counter. Sun Tangela does extraordinary damage with unmatched speed with the ability to KO anything that trys to change weather and can sleep anything that would otherwise try to wall it, supposed answers such as Vullaby or Scarf Snover take heavy damage or get OHKO'd by Ancient Power and HP[Fire] respectively. So I feel it is broken due to it's ability to muscle past 'mons meant to answer it while not requiring any interesting or skillful play to be effective. (Press buttons in Sun or switch in/out for Regen)

2) Is Tangela making Little Cup not fun?
Yes
, I feel it is very annoying to deal with, largely due to the lack of skill/prediction needed. I feel that it is in a similar boat to Sneasel where there is no reason not to run it and you need to have multiple pokemon capable of attempting to deal with it.

Anything that centralizes the metagame can deter individual because it restricts teambuilding options.

Yanma
I have less of an opinion about Yanma, but Archen hard walls it, and sleep isn't quite as bad this gen. I think that SpeedBoost is fine due to the fact that it can still be walled/countered. CompoundEyes is the set that would be broken if it were either of them due to the fast sleep to get around counters and being a great momentum grab with U-Turn. But Healbell and Sleeptalk are there and it doesn't have the same brute force as Tangela.

And SR, SR hurts.

I also forgot to throw in this replay into my previous post, displaying how difficult to take down, and how powerful Tangela is. While the battle is pretty haxy, it displays the Bulky Eviolite set's ability to defeat would be check/counter Berry Juice Gligar through the combination of Sleep Powder and Knock Off. It displays Tangela's unboosted power, strong enough to break Berry Juice Pawniard's Substitute. It shows how Tangela, even without Eviolite, is bulky enough to take a Porygon's Ice Beam and beat it through Knocking Off it's Eviolite and wearing down with Giga Drain.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm really on the fence about Tangela. I will reconsider my stance and post here later.

Regarding Yanma, however, I'm quite vigilant on its ban. I've never used / faced CompoundEyes before, but I can attest that even 'just' Speed Boost Yanma is a gigantic threat that is unhealthy for the Little Cup meta.

Unlike Sneasel, who was absurdly broken most of all because of its overly crippling STAB Knock Off, Yanma is broken because it shares the offensive power and speed but instead of Knock Off it has Hypnosis. If you don't get KOd by Yanma's powerful attacks, you simple get put to sleep. It's not even just that Yanma's Speed and Special Attack are too too overwhelming like Sneasel; it too is virtually unwallable because of Hypnosis, which tips all of its other traits over the edge. It is from this that I can assume that CompoundEyes Yanma is probably just as annoying.

Without Hypnosis, Yanma would be a lot less threatening. I guess you could say the same for Sleep Powder / Tangela. Stats + Moves + Sleep is a powerful combination and I don't think our tier can handle it.

And ofc Yanma has its ability and coverage but that can be covered more in detail later. The most important thing to note is that Yanma gets a sleep inducing move, and that that is what tips it into the broken range, along with its ability and attack options.

Also if you want to see proof on Yanma's major effects on the meta / matches, I have replay between me and TCR using the exact same team (can't find it now though) where it basically came down to 'who can set up Yanma first' (reminds you of Sneasel, doesn't it?)

Tangela
Tangela is broken without a doubt, I honestly believe you need your head checked if you think it isn't. It 2HKOes the majority of the tier, meaning it is a nearly unstoppable sweeper that completely mows down teams with just a few clicks. It has no true counters and is far too broken for LC imo. Its most effective set imo is Life Orb//Chlorophyll + Vulpix, as it has 0 issues with anything in the tier. With Tangela still in the tier, it is basically just: If you aren't using Tangela, you aren't playing LC right. You need like three Pokemon on a team that can survive and live to tell the story in the process to defeating Tangela. Honestly, it doesn't even deserve Suspect, it deserves a quick ban with no thought. So yes, it is making LC not as fun as usual! It is kind of making me and probably a few others want to take a break until it is gone from the tier.

Yanma
See Tangela, but with even more power and no way to revenge kill it. I'm honestly not even gonna write about it, it deserves a quick ban as well as Tangela imo.

While completely irrelevant, my sister's name is Angela .-.

tcr

sage of six tabs
I'm really on the fence about Tangela. I will reconsider my stance and post here later.

Regarding Yanma, however, I'm quite vigilant on its ban. I've never used / faced CompoundEyes before, but I can attest that even 'just' Speed Boost Yanma is a gigantic threat that is unhealthy for the Little Cup meta.

Unlike Sneasel, who was absurdly broken most of all because of its overly crippling STAB Knock Off, Yanma is broken because it shares the offensive power and speed but instead of Knock Off it has Hypnosis. If you don't get KOd by Yanma's powerful attacks, you simple get put to sleep. It's not even just that Yanma's Speed and Special Attack are too too overwhelming like Sneasel; it too is virtually unwallable because of Hypnosis, which tips all of its other traits over the edge. It is from this that I can assume that CompoundEyes Yanma is probably just as annoying.

Without Hypnosis, Yanma would be a lot less threatening. I guess you could say the same for Sleep Powder / Tangela. Stats + Moves + Sleep is a powerful combination and I don't think our tier can handle it.

And ofc Yanma has its ability and coverage but that can be covered more in detail later. The most important thing to note is that Yanma gets a sleep inducing move, and that that is what tips it into the broken range, along with its ability and attack options.

Also if you want to see proof on Yanma's major effects on the meta / matches, I have replay between me and TCR using the exact same team (can't find it now though) where it basically came down to 'who can set up Yanma first' (reminds you of Sneasel, doesn't it?)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanklcbeta-72367478

Also, officially changing stance on pro ban or not for tangela. Originally i wanted chloro tang gone, but the I had completely forgotten about Leaf Storm+Regenerator. I still believe Defensive Tang isnt broken, just really solid, but thats a moot point when tang has chlorosun and leaf storm to quite literally wreck every single mon in the tier.

Regenerator Tangela just accomplishes way too much in any given match. It's very common for a match with Tangela in it to become centralized around Tangela. Matches become centralized around Tangela because it is at once am extremely sturdy physical wall, a powerful wallbreaker, and a competent disabler, while living forever. Regenerator allows it to continually smash weakened Pokemon with its powerful attacks, or disable the Pokemon that would actually have a chance of surviving its hits by using Knock Off or Sleep Powder to cripple them. Tangela can very easily outlast its checks.

In addition, Tangela is a very low risk and consistent Pokemon to use, while its reward is incredible. It's very hard to punish a Tangela, as it's bulky enough to survive almost any physical hit as well as a good amount of special hits, and because of Regenerator. If you somehow manage to do 70% to Tangela, it's still far from out of the picture. It's only 2 switches away from nearly full health. Meanwhile, Tangela punishes opposing Pokemon very easily with Sleep Powder / Knock Off and its powerful offensive moves.

I think Tangela is broken even discounting Chlorophyll sets. Regenerator Tangela is just that dominant.

As for Yanma, a 78% accurate sleep move on a Pokemon that outspeeds or ties against everything unboosted is pretty ridiculous. It can easily muscle through whatever it wants through the combination of Hypnosis + one of its strong STAB moves, or it could even swap to a new Pokemon and do decent damage in the process with U-turn.

Yanma is such a hard Pokemon to deal with. Looking for a Pokemon that can avoid the 2HKO is hard enough. Then that Pokemon has to either not care about sleep, or you need 2 Pokemon that can each beat Yanma. Yanma is also challenging to revenge kill, because it's so fast. You either need a Choice Scarf Pokemon, something with priority, or something that gets Speed from some other means (like sun). Speed Boost Yanma doesn't even care about 2 of those 3 things, but it also does not have the threat of sleep. Anyways, priority isn't really a surefire answer as Yanma is only weak to Ice Shard, and Yanma isn't even that frail. So you're stuck with a Choice Scarf Pokemon or boosted Speed from other abilities, which aren't common.

Basically, Yanma is hard to counter, hard to revenge kill, and can even provide some vital support and disabling for teams through Hypnosis + U-turn. The Stealth Rock weakness is annoying, but SR can be removed without much difficulty. In addition, CompoundEyes Yanma is a pretty safe lead since it'll outspeed pretty much everything, and then Hypnosis + U-turn out if it gets a poor matchup.

:toast:

What more need be said. Is tangela broken? Yes... yes it is. Its bulky, its insanly powerful and its even kinda fast even without clorophyl. One just need look at the victim of the week thread to see that the sunny day set had almost no real counters. Goomey is just too useless outside tangela counter to warrent a team spot, and vullaby is fairly unreliable as a counter, as a lot of little things can go wrong (SR, crits, ancient power boosts, prior damage) and that bird is cooked. Regenerator tangela might not be quite as broken as chlorophyl variants but it certainly still qualifies for broken status. The ability to either abuse an insanly powerful leaf storm, or the ever useful giga drain while always having the option to run away and heal off any residual damage with regenerator is just too damn good. Its only real drawback is its rather mediocre ammount of coverage, but with access to sleep powder it always has the option to shut down one thing thats giving it a hard time. Overall, broken broken broken.

Yanma is a little bit harder to pin down. While yes it is insanly fast and has 2 very powerful sets, it also has a couple counters and a resonable ammount of checks. At the same time, pretty much every team needs to have a couple ways to deal with it lest they get swept away by the power it has avaliable to it. TBH I could go either way with yanma, as it certainly is teetering on the brink of broken, but I would be fine with it remaining as well. Personally, I never really find it "unfun" to play against, any more than I find swirlix or missy to play against, and I highly doubt its the reason certain people are staying away from LC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)